See For Me [Editing slowly]

By WandererAtHeart

Eden has been through more than most, and she's ready to start on her own . . . but not quite yet. With only... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23 Final Chapter

Chapter 22

702 34 10
By WandererAtHeart

 We returned to the party and Gypsy got me a plate of food. We stood there not really talking to each other. Sometimes Gypsy would talk to people nearby but I kept quiet.

Gypsy told me another alpha had arrived and I bowed my head respectfully when Gypsy told me to.  It was when the last Alpha arrived though, that things really began happening.

Everyone was told to gather around. There wasn't much of a "ceremony" for becoming Alpha. It was more of a large announcement to the pack that the current Alpha makes saying he is stepping down and from now on his heir is taking over. Alpha Ericson made a short resignation speech and welcomed his son into the position of Alpha. Everyone clapped and applauded and Caleb named his new Beta (Blake, obviously), and Alpha Ericson― who was now just plain Ericson― made the announcement that all mate-less females of the pack had been waiting for: The position of Luna is up for grabs begin your fight to the death.

So maybe he didn't say it that way but that was what every female heard.

I hadn't heard or smelled Bella so I assumed she wasn't here and stayed out of the brawl that was forming between the females. Gypsy was nudging me to get in there but that wasn't happening unless Bella was here. I was pretty sure I could deal with anyone but Bella being Caleb's Luna. Only Bella got my wolf stirring. I couldn't even feel a rustle of emotion from her as all these girls clambered to be my mate's wife. Then again, maybe I just knew they didn't have what it took to hold the position.

"Settle down!" and authoritative voice rung out. It was the old hag's and the girls quieted down. "There is someone I think should be considered as Caleb's mate," she said with solemnity. I tensed; all I could think of was that Bella was here and I hadn't noticed. This deceitful woman had deceived my senses. Bella was here, she was being nominated― by and elder no less―and she would be used to give her more power and steal away all I had left.

I felt a hand push me from behind, bringing me out of my thoughts, and Ericson whispered in my ear: "You're on."

My heartbeat tripped and I took a deep breath. I could do this. I could feel my wolf's eagerness to show Bella up but I never got the chance.

Sirens were wailing from behind me and I heard people whispering in confusion. Why were the police here? Why did this happen today? Why did this have to happen now? They had to be here for the pack, there was no one else in the area.

"This is bad. Gypsy take Eden inside and hide her in the Heat room," Ericson ordered and I was dragged away.

What could be happening? Why did I have to hide? Gypsy saw my confusion and asked, "You ran away didn't you?" as though she already knew.

My confusion turned to understand as it all fell into place. Of course the police would be here. They must have tracked me here. I don't know how they would have been able to though. I was positive none of my family would ever report me after staying here. It must have been someone else but who? There were really only two people who hated me here: the old hag and that nameless bitch. It really could be either one of them, but why would the elder risk the safety of the pack this way? Gypsy locked the door behind me and I was trapped in here again.

It was an hour of silence before I was brought back to the backyard by Gypsy. I was left alone so suffer through my thoughts. My heart was beating triple time from both the thought of being caught and dragged back to the orphanage, and from the knowledge that Bella was just outside this house; she was out there standing on the lawn as a member of the pack returned from a long time away. In my head I could see her talking to the friends she probably kept all through high school as though she had never left. It was taunting me―mocking me. I had to hide― I wasn't meant to be here, but she got to fit in with no effort. What if while I was stuck in this room she decides to take her chances and become Luna? What if when I walk out of this room, there's nothing left for me here? I felt tears slide down my cheeks and I clenched my teeth. That wouldn't happen― that couldn't happen. But that didn't stop my blood from rushing through my veins so quickly I trembled. I rubbed my hands together and waited for them to get me. I knew someone would come for me as soon as the police left.

When Gypsy finally returned I was sure my heart couldn't keep this pace up for much longer. As I stepped back onto that patio I immediately felt the charged air pulse with tension. The Neighboring alphas were grouped to my right and I cringed as I heard them reconsider their treaties. Still that didn't alarm me. What did alarm me was the sudden scent of pineapple. She was here, there was no doubt. My hands contracted into claws of their own accord.

Lovely.

"That Bitch!" Gypsy gasped.

"What? What's going on?" I whispered, not wanting to break the sudden silence that had fallen over everyone.

"Bella just kissed Caleb! Who does she think she is?!"

I could barely form the word, "What?" But Gypsy continued her rant about how it wasn't fair― I wasn't there while Bella was being approved.

Approved? My wolf snarled. I certainly don't approve, and that was my last coherent thought before I lost total control.

I had Bella in my sights. She looked exactly the same: Tall, blonde, thin, pretty, and angelic. I would tear the flesh off her bones.

I lunged at her and a feral growl ripped through my body. The dirt left my paws and sprayed behind me. My muscles contracted and stretched as I launched between her and whoever she was standing by. I overshot the jump and swung my back legs around, ripping up dirt and grass. Adrenaline pumped through my veins.

I barked and growled at her as she backed away trembling. Her wide glassy eyes jumped around the circle that surrounded us, seeing their expectant faces. She was Luna. She needed to defend herself. Too bad Bella never liked confrontation.

Come on Luna, prove yourself, I laughed bitterly. I challenged her with my eyes. She took away my sight, she took away my dad; she wasn't going to take away my mate. I snapped my sharp teeth at her and shivered in excitement. I wanted this. I wanted her blood on my snout and her flesh under my claws.

Bella's expression hardened and she shifted into a large grey-brown wolf, hesitantly shifting on her paws.

I barked at her and snapped my teeth. Come at me.

Bella lunged cautiously toward me and I tackled her. Such a weak attempt it didn't even spark my interest. I stomped on her face and jumped off, circling her playfully. She was my prey. I would cause her pain.

She rolled back onto her feet and glanced hopefully at a man in the crowd. She thought she could get help? I didn't wait for her focus to return and bit into her shoulder. She howled and fell at my feet. I stood over her and snapped in her face, leaving small scratches and drawing blood. The delicious smell filled the air and I lapped it off her. I bit into her other arm and stood over her howling form, ripping into her with my teeth. She tried bucking me off and even thought she could bite me once. I bared my teeth at her and jabbed my knee into her diaphragm until her wolf was wheezing and she turned back into a human. I shifted after her and stood in the silence. I could taste her blood in my mouth and it dripped down my chin. I may have had a couple scratched on me but that was all the damage Bella had done.

I heard Bella's heavy pants and high moans as she stumbled up and limped away, probably clutching her wounded arms. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and waited for someone―anyone to speak. My wolf had calmed down now that she had put Bella in her place. Now no one would be able to accept Bella as Luna no matter what anyone said. I was an outsider and a blind girl yet I had overpowered her. She was weak and she was passive.

Suddenly everyone was talking at once and nothing as coherent. I stood alone but there were people all around me arguing and shouting and no one seemed to agree with anyone else.

"Everybody quiet!" Caleb commanded and the pack fell silent. I shifted nervously. My stomach crawled with unease. I was still uncertain when it came to Caleb. He obviously had no choice but to believe that what I had told him was true and that the elder was power-hungry, but that didn't mean he didn't still care for Bella. Maybe it was stupid and insecure of me, but I wasn't sure how he felt about me. He lusted after me once or twice and harassed me more than once, but interest doesn't constitute the love and commitment that came with selecting a Luna, especially when he didn't know we were mates. That position would be better for someone he was sure he could care for forever. He just didn't know that that someone could be me, and the thought of being here in this pack for the rest of my life, separated from my family, had the words sticking to the back of my throat.

But I didn't have to say anything. The decision was made for me.

"Eden has what it takes to be Luna," he declared, "She has proven that. I accept her as my Luna. Is there any opposition?" No one responded, but there was really no room for argument.

And that just made me mad. Who was he to decide my future? Shouldn't I have a say? I clenched my hands into fists and hung my head. Taking this position was the right thing to do as his mate, but that didn't stop the gripping pain that curled itself around my heart. I could feel my throat choking up and breathing became harder to do without gasping.

I had this whole future ahead of me― a great stretch of unknown― and while my options may have been limited they were still there. But now I would spend the rest of my life in this house, in this town, and maybe if I was lucky I would visit neighboring packs, but chances were I would never leave Pennsylvania again. What was a blind girl going to do? I would sit there. Let's face it, I could do nothing here but listen to my audio-books. At least if I had freedom ―

"But she's blind. Can a blind Luna really benefit the pack?" someone asked, bringing me back to the present. The high pitch sounded like the girl who hated me, the nameless bitch with the stilettos. Why am I not surprised?

"You just witnessed how powerful she can be," Caleb defended.

"As a wolf," the girl countered, "but a Luna spends most of her time as a human― as a mother― this girl can't do that for the pack. My sister could do a far better job."

She was Bella's sister? Sweet little Anna? The girl who loved ice cream, flowers, and everything princess-y?

"Oh please," Gypsy cut in, "Your sister couldn't defend a puppy let alone a pack."

Gypsy, Anna, and Caleb ―mostly Gypsy and Anna― kept going but Bella and I both stayed quiet. I didn't like her, I couldn't find it in me to forgive her either, but somehow I felt like she didn't really want this anymore than I did. Wouldn't she be fighting for the position if she did? I begrudgingly empathized with her. No one liked having their fate decided for them.

Finally Ericson stepped in and suggested everyone take a break from the topic of Luna and let the Alphas discuss the treaties. People slowly dissipated until only a few were left and the muddy scents had cleared up significantly.

A hand was delicately placed on my upper arm and I was gently tugged around. "Dear, why don't you come inside with me, I'll get you some clothes," the Luna said and I followed her into the kitchen.

After I had changed I leaned my back against a counter and waited as I heard Luna rustle about in the cabinets. I was starting to feel exhausted and drained and I leaned more heavily against the counter top, resting my elbows on it and holding myself up. It seemed as though my wolf had completely dissipated and now I felt more human and tired than ever.

"Here, have some cereal," Luna said as the poured whatever it was into a bowl with a ringing sound.

She placed the bowl in front of me and poured in some milk. I munched in silence. I had been here for about three weeks but I had never really spoken to Luna.

"You know, I know exactly what you're going through," she said. "Becoming Luna was a scary thing. I hadn't found out Josh was my mate until the morning of the coronation and I still wasn't ready. I was eighteen, I had been accepted into an out of state college ―I wasn't exactly planning on becoming Luna, you know? ― and it just seemed like I had had my whole future stolen away from me in the moment Josh's eyes met mine. I couldn't feel happy about meeting my mate for the first few days, but then I accepted my fate. I realized that I loved who I was with, and this job isn't as constricting as everyone thinks. It can be quite rewarding too," she smiled, "Sometimes little girls will come to me instead of their mothers for questions, and others will ask what it's like to be Luna. I don't get to travel as much as I imagined, but you'll learn just how creative you can be with your time here and how deeply you can make connections."

Maybe she didn't understand because her family had always been a part of the pack, but mine was not. My family was outside of Old Town and I would be separated from them forever if I couldn't leave and they couldn't visit. Jus the idea was so painful I had to stop eating. I rested my spoon on the counter.

"It's not the same."

"That doesn't mean it isn't a good thing," she countered. "You'll be with your mate, and you'd be surprised by how much of a difference that makes."

You'd be surprised by how much I don't care. "You don't know he's my mate."

"Well we can find out."

"How?" I questioned, expecting her to come up blank.

"You could see when you shifted, couldn't you?" she spoke. She sounded as though she already knew.

I thought back and it was all fuzzy. I had so much adrenaline pumping through my system I didn't catch much, but maybe I had. That little seed of hope made me question everything. Maybe I could find out who my mate was. Maybe it was Caleb, maybe it wasn't, and I could find out. I could finally be free of the blackness that lingered in my mind when I tried to see.

 "If I am his mate, I'll accept," I decided.

****************************************************************

A/N: Okay to this was a short one and an admittedly crappy attempt at a climax that I'm really not happy with but I tried and decided to upload anyway.

I hope you enjoyed it more than me. I'm really not satisfied.... Any suggestions, let me know.

so yes comment please. no votes necessary. Let me wallow in the pitiful state of my writing....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.9K 2.3K 58
This is a story of my INCREDIBLE life! *Note the sarcasm people* My names Eve and I don't know what I'm here for. My pack hates me. Relationships su...
152K 8.9K 34
• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Splendiferous Awards May 2021 • Summary • ...
101K 1.3K 12
Mia's peculiar nature often keeps others at bay, resulting in few friendships. Orphaned at a young age, she found comfort in her grandmother, her lat...
12.2K 90 18
Werewolves just can't survive in the modern world anymore. They've lived beside us for thousands of years, inhabitating nearby forests, most isolated...