His Jersey

By MagicalPurpleLion

What's a football player's most prized possession? The fame? The popularity? The pride? Nope, it's his jersey... More

O N E
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E

T W O

13.8K 413 251
By MagicalPurpleLion

Grayson Lake

"Let's get good seats," Peyton grabs my arm and we jog around the crowd of students, "hurry, hurry, hurry!" She chants.

"Peyton, I don't play sports and I only took gym class in Freshman year, give me a break!" She ignores me and we jog down the rows of seats in the auditorium.

Our school is so big, during assemblies, at least, thirty people end up standing or sitting on the rugged floor. Usually, that happened to Peyton and me, but we knew today's assembly would be a hella long one considering it's about the tournament in Dallas.

"Hey! Those are the football team's seats, they get the first three rows," Jeff protests and keeps us from sitting down.

"Why do they get the first three rows? How else am I supposed to see over their meaty heads if I don't get the first row?" Peyton asks. Jeff looks uncomfortable when Peyton yells at him, probably because she's older. A few people look over at us because of her outburst.

"Because this assembly is all about them!" Jeff says.

"Pey lets go, there aren't going to be any open seats left," I whine.

"Hey Jeff," I grab Peyton's wrist and pull her away, "what's 12 times 15?" I drag Peyton away from Jeff so we can find new seats. I look over the rows and, unfortunately, there are only singles chairs left.

"180!" Jeff yells over the noise of the students.

I drag Peyton down a row and sit down. A freshman guy I have never seen before in my life is sitting between Peyton and me.

"Put your phone away Jeff!" Peyton yells back.

"Peyton, it's starting," I say. I lean back into my seat and glance at the freshman. He looks uncomfortable as hell.

"Everyone settle down or I'll start giving detentions out." Principal Markley says through the microphone. That causes everyone to stop talking and sit wherever they are. I look around and see the football players getting settled into their seats.

"As you all know, if you watch the news I mean, Copper Wright has made it into Texas' Charity football game." Everyone cheers, I clap, Peyton hollers. The freshman doesn't utter a syllable, I laugh to myself.

"Today, I received all the information concerning the tournament. Today, we are in 45th place." My mouth forms a circle and I look at Peyton. It's like she can read my mind when she looks at me too. How did we move back 2 places overnight? I voted last night and when I woke up this morning. I didn't check what place we were in because I was running late for school. I just voted and clicked out of the website. That's what school starting at 7:30 AM does to you.

"It is Thursday, and by Saturday morning at 11 am, we have to be in 40th place or lower in order to make it into the tournament. You can vote once a day on computers, iPads, iPods, phones, anything. The grand prize for whatever school wins is 75 thousand dollars in scholarships." Everyone cheers. I stay quiet in my seat like the freshman next to me.

This school is full of rich kids to poor kids. You could tell which one someone is by looking at them. The rich guys wore Vineyard Vines or Ralph Lauren every day. The rich girls wore Lily Pulitzer and PINK. That's how it is. I hope the students who actually need the scholarships to get into college will get it.

A football player stands up in the first row and walks towards the exit. He turns a little, it's the quarterback Paul. I wonder what his problem is for leaving. This whole assembly is pretty much about him. Everyone watches, even the Principal. Maybe he thinks he's too good for this. A gush of cold air comes in when the door opens . It is only September and the temp has been dropping by the hour. The door shuts with a bang.

"Okay, the final two teams will travel to Dallas to play in the Cowboys' stadium. Football players and cheerleaders are entitled to go. Students may go with the buses only if they pay the fee and they have above a 2.00 GPA. The school will need chaperones, so talk to your parents about the possibility. Okay, we finished perfectly on time. Mrs. J will dismiss students by their row." Principal Markley turns the mic off and leaves the stage. I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding  in.

---

School was okay today. Everyone talked about the weekend in Dallas if we made it. Some people talked about partying more than football. I think we will make it to Top 20 at most. We were good but not that good. I got a 91 on my American Gov test today. I sent a picture to my dad half way during the school day so he knows I'll be going on my date tonight.

"Hey," Peyton says. It is 7 PM and Peyton was supposed to help me pick out an outfit for my date tonight. Instead, we're laying on my bed on our phones, a bag of Ruffles and two bottles of tea separating us.

"Yeah?" I ask. My face is pressed against a pillow. My stomach is flipping due to anxiety. I really like Tyler and I want him to like me back. He's so cute and really funny.

"Tae took down all the pictures of her and Tyler together on Instagram." I push myself against the sheets and sit up on my calves.

"What if I broke them up? My anxiety is getting really bad so I don't feel good. What if I throw up on him? Or in his Jeep? You know he just got that thing cleaned!" I whine and fall down on the mattress. A few chips fly out of the bag. That's a sign they should be eaten, so I pick them up and eat them. I love Cheddar Ruffles. Yum.

"One, you didn't break them up. Two, if you keep eating, you won't be hungry tonight for your date. Three, you need to chill. He's gonna like you. Four, hand me the bag." I shake my head at Peyton, she just wants the chips to herself. Reluctantly, I hand her the bag.

"What if it doesn't go well?" I ask. I hop off my bed and look through my closet.

"If it doesn't go well, I'll call you halfway through the date and tell you the bad news so you can come home." Peyton plugs her phone in my charger and walks over to the closet with the bag of chips.

"I'm serious Pey." I have had a crush on Tyler for three years. I have been thinking about the day he asks me out since I was fourteen! Although, I never thought it would actually happen.

"He said to dress casually. How's this?" I hold up a white sweater. "I'll be wearing it with black leggings. Maybe my brown leather ankle boots too." She nods and holds a thumbs up to me. She's munching on the chips loudly, probably trying to make me jealous.

I grab a pair of leggings out of my dresser and walk out of my room and down the hall to my bathroom to change.

"Why is your date on a Thursday night?" Peyton yells.

"Because they have their away game tomorrow night," I yell back from the bathroom.

"Are we going?" She yells.

"Girls! I'm trying to watch tv!" My mom yells from downstairs.

"Sorry Helena!" Peyton yells. I roll my eyes at Peyton and walk out of the bathroom.

"Good?" I ask Peyton.

"Good."

My hair goes to my armpits which are pretty short. I couldn't curl it or it would look weird. I had only mascara on from school today and I didn't want to overdo it. I want to look natural for him.

"Grayson put some lip balm on in case you guys kiss!" Peyton throws an EOS over to me and I put some on. My first kiss tonight, with Tyler? Oh my gosh.

"There is no kissing going on in this house!" My dad says. We both laugh as he walks by my room. Oops.

Honk.

"Is that him?" Peyton asks. We walk over to the window and see Tyler in his car.

"Let's go!" I run downstairs, careful not to trip. These leather shoes are 3 inches tall and I prefer not to break my face tonight.

"Did that guy just honk at my daughter? What a punk." My dad says. Mom nods her head and we all look out the window at his car.

Honk.

"Guys, he's probably just tired from football practice earlier and doesn't want to come to the door," I assure them. They all look at each other.

"Okay well bye guys, I'll see you later." I walk out the door with my purse on my shoulder.

I open the car door and see there are dog fur and football gear on that seat. "Hey!" I smile at Tyler.

"Oh sorry, do you mind sitting in the back?" Tyler grins at me.

"You know I'm kidding!" He laughs. I nervously laugh as he throws his stuff in the back seat for me.

"So, where are we going tonight?" I ask. Tyler shrugs while he pulls out of my driveway.

"Anywhere is okay." He turns on the radio and The Hills comes on by The Weekend.

"Do you like this song?" He asks. I shrug and shake my head no.

"That's okay, we can switch the station." He turns the radio nob and a different song comes on.

"You pick where we go tonight." Tyler drives down the main road of our town and we pass a few restaurants and the high school.

"Mexican food?" I ask. I've been craving that lately.

"Yeah! I love Mexican food." I lean back in my seat. Maybe this night will go well.

---

"That is so funny!" I laugh and cover my mouth so he doesn't see the food I'm chewing. We both laugh at his story of the time he wet his pants at church when he was little. It was a little weird bringing it up on a first date, but it put me at ease.

"These chips are amazing. Not too salty." He winks at me. I blush and look to the side of the restaurant.

"You're so cute Grayson. I really like you." He grabs my hand. I look at his light blue eyes. He's so cute and I'm so lucky to be here.

"I like you too," I whisper. I can't help but grin.

"Oh, can we have a check?" He looks away from me and asks our waiter. The waiter nods and gives us the receipt.

Tyler looks over the receipt, "Grayson you owe 11 dollars." Tyler says. I frown. Isn't the guy supposed to pay? I look at the waiter who is waiting.

"Here." I grab 13 dollars out of my purse for my meal and the tip. The waiter nods 'thank you' to me. Tyler hands him a few crumpled up bills and the waiter walks away.

"Ready to go?" Tyler asks. I nod my head and we walk out of the restaurant. He holds my hand in his. His hand is a little sweaty but it's not a big deal. Must be nervous like me. Tyler has his flaws but so do I. I still really like him.

We get in his Jeep and he pulls out of the parking lot to take me home. It's a comfortable silence on the way home. I crack the window for some fresh air. Dinner was amazing, but I swear I am going to explode. I'm so full. I love their tacos there. And their rice. And their beans. Okay, I love everything there besides the spicy food.

"Thanks for dinner." We're parked in my driveway looking at each other. Is he leaning in? He's leaning in. Or maybe he lost something. No, he is definitely in.

I'm as still as a statue. My body refuses to move in case of messing this up.

His lips touch mine softly. His lips are a little bit chapped from the cold but I don't mind. I close my eyes,  my body running crazy at his kiss. I start to kiss him back. Am I doing this right? His hand holds my cheek in place making me shiver. He tastes like Mexican food. Yum. His lips start to move faster. Oh no, I was just getting used to the pace.

He's going fast now, a little sloppy which each kiss. His hand runs down my arm giving me goosebumps. He bites my bottom lip and his hand moves to my boob. I instantly pull away and hit my head on the door's window with a thud. Ow. I wipe his saliva off my chin with the sleeve of my sweater. He adjusts his shirt.

"I'll see you tomorrow Grayson." I frown and get out of the car, slowly. His voice seemed so calm but I can tell he is mad. I walk to my front door and notice it's unlocked. Mom always does that when I'm out late.

My phone buzzes in my bag as I'm locking the door. I pull it out of my purse.

Goodnight

It's from Tyler. I grin to myself. I can't believe he kissed me! Maybe he isn't mad.

Night Tyler :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 64.1K 86
I'm running, my dress bunched up in my fists. But I'm not running for my life I'm running for his, and when I see him I stop. There is one bulky man...
38.1M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
236 18 16
Katelyn has been in and out of the foster system since her mother died when she was young. After her father gets put in jail again, she gets sent to...
60.9K 4.3K 70
Life is hard. Specially when you're a high schooler. You can never know when your life is about to go up. And you 'especially' can never know when it...