Keep An Open Mind {Lynn Gunn}

By Run-Dont-Walk

TW: this book may contain mentions of violence and of suicide. DISCLAIMER #1: I wrote this story when I was... More

1) I'm The One With The Ghosts In My Bed
2) Stuck In A Rut And A Wasteland
3) Set Of Empty Bones
4) It's My Head Not My Heart That's Strayed
5) It's Hard To Find Life In Something That's Already Died
6) All I Speak Is Static Screams
7) The Weight In The Words That You Preach
8) You Make It Seem That You Feel Whole
9) Put Your Heart To Your Eyes
10) It's Hard To Dream With Eyes Stitched Open
A/N
11) Sick Of The Lack Of Signal
12) What You Give Is What You Get
13) Shape Shifting.
14) My Head Spins And I Cave In And I Can't Pick Sides
15) There's Demons At The Door Patiently Waiting
16) Gemini, Won't You Meet Me Eye To Eye?
17) Got Your Hooks In My Back
18) Buried Yourself Alive And Expected To Be Fine
19) I've Grown Sick Of This Fight So Frequent
20) Find A New Place, Another Space To Invade, Another Brain To Decay
21) Using Words As A Comforter
22) Mind Over Matter Makes These Things Feel So Real
23) There's No Such Thing As Better Things In Life
24) Placebo Feelings
26) If I Change I Start To Fade
27) Watching. Waiting. Aching. Suffocating. Breathing. Speaking. Screaming.
28) Up Against The Ghosts In My Head
29) You Give Me Something To Talk About
30) Just Wanted To Say "Good Night"
31) Please Be The Light That Carries Me
32) This Might Not Make Sense, If I Don't Explain It
33) This World Is A Masterpiece
34) This Is Not A Place In My Head [Final Chapter]
Keep An Open Mind [EPILOGUE]

25) I'm Losing You To The Games In My Mind

381 23 13
By Run-Dont-Walk

I wonder why I never hung out in the attic of my house. Now that my parents were packing lots of old stuff to either sell it or throw it away, I was unpacking dusted boxes filled with a few small stuffed toys, an old chessboard, old vinyl's, clothes of when I was little and shiny marbles. 

I saved the marbles and a few vinyl's, setting them apart to take them in my room.

But what caught my attention was something else. I picked up my stuffed rabbit, Abraham. He was a cute white rabbit, with a sea-green jacket and two tailoring buttons on his chest. Two big eyes and a toothy goofy smile. Ah, that toy.

When I was younger, I used to always have it with me, he was like my best friend. I used to sleep cuddling him every night, gaining the warmth that I needed. He used to listen to all my secrets and obviously, wasn't able to reply, making me feel like I had all the attention I needed. He used to play with me at some stupid game I invented and I always won, because he couldn't move a finger to beat me.

Honestly, I missed those times, cause even if it's just a toy, he'll always be a part of me. How many memories...

*Flashback*

"Wait!" I yelled, causing her to stop dead in her tracks.

"I think... I lost Abraham!" I said, starting to panic and glancing all around the field. She stepped closer to me.

"Relax, I'm sure he's still around!" she reassured, with crossed arms. I shook my head firmly.
"What if I lost him forever?" she tapped her chin a few times and then her face lit up, as she smirked.

"Where was the last place you saw him?" she asked.

"Just a few minutes ago, when we were running. At the edge of the field." I replied.

"Well then you must've dropped him there." she stated, running a hand through her dark hair. She was no taller than me, but I sort of felt small. Maybe cause I was vulnerable, who knows.

"But I would remember dropping him... I remember everything!"

"Maybe you didn't notice. Things, don't disappear, Lynn." she giggled out.
"Oh it means there's a first time for everything, Alexa." I replied and she shrugged.

"C'mon kid, we'll go check the place together and rewind our path here, we're going to find him." she said with a smile, shining of determination.

"But... there are snakes in that area of the field. I saw one!" she giggled.

"As long as I'm with you, nothing's going to happen. Scout's honor!" she raised one hand and set the other one on her heart. I smiled and nodded my head, as she grabbed my hand and leaded me again into the field.

Friendships are easier when you're an 8 year old. Especially when your friends are just a fantasy.

*End of the flashback*

I sighed when recalling Alexa. She was my best friend, well, my imaginary best friend. But even though I wish she was real, it doesn't really matter... I mean, if she was real she wouldn't be so protective.

She would probably be like the other teenage girls, she would have a hidden aim, use you to earn something back... that's how most of the girls of my age do.

When I was younger, I was sure that Alexa was a real person, it's like we were connected. But my parents convinced me that it was a fruit of my imagination, that it was a game my mind decided to play with me.

Maybe they were right about this, Alexa couldn't be real. But she felt real, she stood by my side... I had someone, even though it wasn't really someone. Or was it? I don't know. I was so messed up already. But there's one voice in the back of my head that keeps on telling me,

This is not just all in your head. 

--

A/N: So... Imaginary friends. Hope you liked the chapter, let me know your opinions! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 14 18
Rachel Grilley was just a 15 year old girl who didn't have a very interesting life. She was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety. Her only wa...
9.5M 310K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
476 31 13
Welcome to the life of a teenager - she's loud, rambunctious, and most likely failing her classes. Microphone has always wanted to play in a band, o...
167 0 11
Personally, I never saw myself as an optimistic person. I never really had any friends, I didn't share feelings for people, I never really had any so...