Cyber Witch

By wdhenning

Years ago when a young orphaned girl, advanced cybernetics were surgically installed into Avia's brain. Able... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1 - Once Upon a Time
Chapter 2.1 - Super Villain
Chapter 2.2 - You Can't be too Careful with an Aberrant
Chapter 2.3 - This is Lucky?
Chapter 3.1 - Trust Issues
Chapter 3.2 - Bubba
Chapter 4 - The Only True Virtue
Chapter 5.1 - Pink
Chapter 5.2 - Super Villains Don't Plan, They Scheme
Chapter 6.1 - Red Caste
Chapter 6.2 - Hard-Arse High-Level Corporate Executive
Chapter 6.3 - The Cyber Witch Strikes Again
Chapter 6.4 - What Have You Done?
Chapter 7 - Not a Threat, but a Consequence
Chapter 8.1 - Sure Would be a Shame to Die Now
Chapter 8.2 - Worst Landing Ever
Chapter 8.3 - Partners
Chapter 8.4 - Walkabout
Chapter 9.1 - Awkward
Chapter 9.3 - Keyword
Chapter 10 - Public Relations Disaster
Chapter 11 - Karma Really is a Bitch
Chapter 12.1 - Daughter
Chapter 12.2 - Can We Keep Her?

Chapter 9.2 - Favorite Shock Jock

39 8 56
By wdhenning

[Avia]

Zach didn't disappoint. Not in the least.

I opened the firebox and Zach provided the fuel, allowing passion's fire to engulf us both. By his guidance, exquisite waves of pleasure surged through me, leaving me beyond sated. I did my best to return the favor, using his airy moans to direct my actions. And in the afterglow, when I collapsed within strong arms, all the troubles in the universe had faded away.

Once the fire had escaped, there was no putting it back. And as if by lover's alchemy, I transformed into a truer, bolder version of me. When I opened myself to Zach, I also opened myself to the future, whatever it may hold.

The next ten days of our journey were filled with intoxicating bliss. I could not have asked, nor even imagined, a better lover than Zach. Somehow, two people starting as opposites, the hunter and the hunted, fit seamlessly together.

Yet still, lingering in my mind like distant clouds, the doubts remained. Was heartbreak preordained? And did being with me condemn Zach to a bitter future?

The realities of our quest returned as we approached the Sanctus Station. It was an odd, eclectic structure with multiple newer jointed arms jutting out from the original centuries old ring-shaped core, as if a small child had randomly stuck toy building blocks to it. Two tethered space elevators connected the station to the green terraformed world Angelus below.

Santus was a popular transit station for haulers to or from the outer reaches, including a vibrant commodity market center, where deals, shady or otherwise, occurred outside of Sol Federation regulation and taxation. Repair facilities and lower cost fusion fuel drew starship crews in for the more profitable sordid businesses.

"Santus Station," Zach said over the short-range com, "this is umm, Blue Horizon, requesting clearance for docking." Zach had almost forgotten that I hacked the ship identity transceiver, changing the ship's name and registry.

"Blue Horizon, welcome to Santus Station." came the AI response. "You are cleared to docking port Gamma-seven. Proceed to gamma hold area and wait for a docking tug."

The station used the old automated tugs to deliver a starship the final few kilometers to the docking port. It was safer that way.

"Confirmed, Sanctus Station, proceeding now. We will also require helium-3 mix fusion fuel."

"Blue Horizon, a fueling vendor will stand by," the AI replied.

Leaning back in the pilot chair, Zach turned to me. "Blue Horizon is kind of a boring name for a starship."

"Exactly," I said. "The more mundane, the better. Omni-Corp will look for your ship, so we don't want to draw any attention."

As we waited for the tug, I accessed the station info-web. By habit, I also checked the secret message site I had set up with my fellow cybernetic enhanced friends, not expecting to find anything.

I gasped — there was a message.

Lael: Avia, are you still out there? It's been so long. Heard you hit an Omni-Corp research facility. Damon and I have a safe place now. Would you like to come here?

How did she know about the research station? But then, she was cyber-enhanced like me. And usually, she was over-the-top bubbly and talkative. This had to be the shortest and plainest message she ever sent me. But we have been on the run for a long time, and that would pop any bubbly personality. Our message site was secure, and we took precautions so that no one else could see or use it.

"What is it?" Zach asked, noticing my surprise.

"Lael, my friend from the Cyber Force years. She sent a message inviting me to meet her and Damon."

"Hmm, I made a promise to you. When we are done here, what say we go find your friends?"

A smile broke onto my face — everything was going my way. "Yeah. And if it's okay, could we take a detour to visit someone else, too? He is only a few days away."

"I suppose so. Who?"

"Flint. He was my handler when I was in the Cyber Assault Force and the closest thing I ever had to a father. We didn't part on the best of terms." As a career marine, Flint considered my departure as a kind of desertion, but didn't stop me from running away. His disappointment left a hole in my heart that I hoped to refill.

I posted a reply: Avia: Lael, I would love to see you and Damon again! Hope you are both good. Send me your coordinates.

After Zach arranged to refuel with a short man in blue overalls in the docking bay, we queued up for the immigration and customs control. But screening was lax, no more than pressing your thumb against a biometric scanner and waiting for the green light. A bored guard in a white shirt leaned against a nearby wall, tapping intently at his com-viewer.

"John Brown and Laura Green, huh?" Zach muttered, viewing our fake names on a small display panel as we passed through the rounded security gate. "Colorful names."

Almost on reflex upon docking, I had hacked into the security system to create false identities and spoofed the facial recognition cameras so that they ignored us. Then I downloaded the station schematic into my cybernetics, marking potential escape routes. I've done this so many times before.

Inside the expansive gamma arrival hall, an array of gambling machines immediately assaulted us with flickering colors and lively animations. Holograms floating above, circling the tall, domed ceiling, advertised all sorts of wares, from mundane to exotic. Small shops, cafes, and open-air bars lined the perimeter. This whole place was intended to separate travelers from their money.

The wandering crowds varied from scruffy miners, sharp-dressed traders, casual tourists, to plain-dressed emigrants on their way to new worlds. Moving closer to Zach as we weaved through the people, I took up his hand, interlacing fingers, to avoid becoming separated.

"Ever hack one of these?" Zach asked, pointing to a gambling machine as we walked by.

"When I was desperate for money," I answered. "But I had to be careful. They are monitored, and winning too much attracted the wrong kind of attention. I preferred stealing from your expense account."

Zach let out a chuckle. "You know, you were a pain in the arse back then, Avia."

"Yeah," I answered, grinning. "That part was fun." Oh, how our relationship had changed.

Following directions displayed on Zach's com-viewer, he motioned ahead. "This way."

As we walked, I checked the local info-web, the station security network, and almost every private network I could think of for threats, finding none. There was no Sol Federation presence in this remote solar system, and Omni-Tech was limited to a small trading office. The local security was tight, though, with a fairly sophisticated AI checking public areas. Unruly visitors were quickly handled. It's not that they were concerned with the people's safety, rather disruptions were bad for business.

Likewise, the casino and, shall we say, the adult entertainment facilities, also had tight private security monitoring for the same reasons. Station regulations prohibited routine facial recognition or biometric scanning, excepting those on official watch lists. Like me. Although, most used it to identify big-spending VIP customers, and thus cater to them.

Periodically, we passed roving android or human station assistants, as they were called, eager to help visitors find their way. But they also doubled as local police, openly carrying stunner guns and wrist restraint cuffs.

All-in-all, this was a tightly controlled station, run by a business cartel. But not so tight that I could not inflict my will upon it, if so needed. As usual, I tried to keep a low profile.

Veering into a rounded-ceiling passageway, Zach led me past vibrant clusters of small shops, taverns, and restaurants, each with colorful banners. We ignored several smiling barkers along the way, who called out, inviting us within whatever establishment they represented.

Next came the seedier establishments. Flashing lights and playful music marked spacious casinos. Smiling attendants stood at each entrance, dressed consistently with creative decorating themes, beckoned and welcomed customers. One took the appearance of an old-fashioned riverboat, while the next featured a modern techno vibe.

The brothels were much less flashy, advertised with cleverly worded signs, strategic peeks of gyrating exotic dancers, or scantily clad attendants posted near the entrances. The establishments offered various erotic pleasures for both men and women, whether provided by human, specialized androids, or mechanically assisted virtual reality. All for a price, of course.

The eyes of a plainly dressed dark-haired man traced our passing while he leaned against the wall, partially obscured by a pulsing marquee, his face expressionless as he munched on an unlit cigar. His narrow-eyed glare induced a shiver, as if he sized me up for something improper. But when I turned back to him, he looked away. Otherwise, few people noted our presence, each absorbed by their own pursuits.

I leaned into Zach's comfortable protective sphere, tightening my grip on his hand, and a pleasing warmth washed through me. I could get used to this girlfriend thing.

With a mischievous grin, Zach tipped his head towards one particular establishment. "They offer exciting erotic experiences for couples?" he teased.

Was he joking? Heat flushed in my cheeks as I placed a soft kiss on his cheek, whispering, "I prefer our exciting erotic experiences just between the two of us."

"I'm good with that."

Continuing on, we passed beside green parks and hydroponic gardens. Sprawling fruit trees and tall supported vines reached toward a high domed ceiling lined with bright growth lights, casting vague gray shadows below. A stepping stone-like pathway wandered among the plants, leading to a small central pond, which was likely a catch basin for a watering system. I was tempted to pluck a ripe peach and eat it while relaxing on a hidden bench, but we needed to complete our task and get out.

Lingering too long on this busy space station was not a good idea. Again, I checked to station security feeds, but found no threat.

Next, we came to living apartments and small work spaces tucked into alcoves separated by small parks and common areas. The crowds decreased, along with the carnival vibe, as we left the entertainment sector further behind.

"Over here," Zach said, pointing to a dimly lit side-passageway. A thick metal pressure isolation door stood open at the entrance.

"Are you sure we can trust your friend?" I asked, while re-examining the data I had on him. True, he had no love for the Sol Federation, and especially Omni-Corp. But there was relatively little personal information about him on the info-web. I supposed a man who made such scathing vid-blogs against powerful organizations had to be careful, though.

"I trust Spade," Zach answered. "You'll see."

An odd, persistent feeling prickled my gut, like we were being watched. Perhaps I was overly anxious — we were about to damage Omni-Corp, after all. In case Spade couldn't distribute the damaging documents, I had uploaded them to a popular political social-net site with a two-day timer to automatically post. Just in case.

A tall man with wild, curly dark hair and a trimmed, black goatee opened the rounded hatch and peered at us. Upon recognition, a wide smile brightened his face, white teeth contrasting with dark skin. "Zach!" he blurted out, "you old elite pervert, I didn't expect you so soon." Rushing past the threshold, Spade wrapped Zach in a tight hug.

After a few back slaps, the men separated, and Zach said, "We have to keep a low profile. So how is my favorite shock jock doing?"

"Shouldn't complain, but--" Spade's words stopped as he noticed me standing behind Zach. His eyes smoldered. "And who might this stunningly beautiful woman be?"

Taking up my hand, he bent to place a wispy kiss on my fingers, leaving a flittering tingle behind. What a charmer, he was.

Taking my hand away, Zach said, "This is Avia. And she is with me."

"Zach, you've upped your game," Spade responding, full lips rounding into a smirk. "And how did you convince her to go with you?"

"He kidnapped me," I answered, interrupting Zach's reply.

Throwing his head back, Spade let out strings of rolling chortles that invited me to participate. Zach did not, rather, sighing and rolling his eyes.

"Avia is why we can hurt Omni-Corp," Zach said once the laughter faded.

"Come in, come in," Spade beckoned, "and show me what you have."

For someone with a successful Federation-wide blog and following, Spade's studio was more spartan than I would have guessed. A relatively small room, it consisted only of a small desk and wall mounted view-screen on one side, and three stacked chairs illuminated by a pair of tall spot lights at the other. A self-levitating type web-camera laid inactive on an elevated cradle.

Spade sat at the desk and placed his thumb on a bio-metric scanner, then a virtual keyboard flickered to life before him. "In what form do you have the documents?"

By my direction, a holographic image of a classic file folder icon labeled 'Omni-Corp Bad' appeared floating in front of us. "I've already uploaded the documents to your personal data network." The folder icon image opened, revealing eight corporate reports. "You will find these quite damning," I said.

Spade's eyes narrowed. "How did you get past my firewall? It was supposed to be--" He froze, widened eyes focusing on me. "You're Aberrant..."

"That's cybernetic enhanced," Zach said, warming my heart as he defended me. "Avia took these from a secret Omni-Corp research facility. Long story short, they were trying to use medical nano-bots for mind control."

"Shit..." Spade muttered as he holographically flipped through the documents. "This is big, really big."

"Can you help us expose them?"

"Damn right, I will." Spade spun around, a smile rising on his face. "I'll want a series of exposé interviews--"

"No," Zach said, shaking his head. "Just one interview with us right now. Then Avia and I have to go. I think you understand why."

"Hmm, yes."

"Not me, guys," I said, holding my hands up. "This is attention I do not want. You do the interview, Zach."

"I understand, Avia," Spade said, dipping his head. "And besides, the appearance of an Aberrant — sorry, someone cyber enhanced — might distract from our main message." He stood. "Zach, let's do this."

I pointed a thumb toward the door. "While you two get set up, I'm going out for a sugar hit." My blood sugar was running low, and I hadn't brought any snacks with me.

"Don't go far," Zach cautioned, raising an eyebrow. "And stay out of trouble."

"Who me? When have I ever gotten into trouble?" I said with a grin I could not hide, pointing at myself. Zach snorted. "Don't worry," I continued. "There was an auto-vendor back by the gardens."

As I walked along, I accessed Spade's studio camera with my cybernetics, causing it to levitate from its cradle, pointing it toward Zach. I watched Spade move in and out of view as he set up a simple stage. Zach sat in one of two chairs tilted toward each other as the men discussed the interview scope. Noticing my intrusion, Zach grinned and fluttered his fingers in a little wave. Warmth flushed my cheeks.

In the passageway, I spotted the auto-vendor tucked into a corner and partially hidden by green palm leaves. A transparent round shell displayed the treats inside, including Goober Gummies — perfect. Pressing my biometric ring against a scanner, I bought two packages. Wasn't going to make the same mistake again of buying all of them, which before, had allowed Zach to catch me. A robotic grabber delivered the colorful packages to an extraction tray. Then, tearing open a seal, I popped a red star-shaped gummy into my mouth and let the sweet/tart strawberry flavor flow across my tongue.

A startled yelp caught my ear, and I turned to see a scowling man, flanked by two men and two women with equally unpleasant expressions, rudely shove a teenage girl out of the way as they paced along. Each wore white, unmarked uniforms, and carried sidearms strapped at the waist.

Ducking within the partial cover of palm leaves, panic driven tingles flooded my body. I recognized the tall lead man with a signature buzz haircut: Gideon Lief, the security chief at Omni-Corp's Coronis research station. Wishing myself invisible, I pressed against the shadowed wall, heart racing as they marched past.

This was bad, really bad.

Using my cybernetics, I placed a warning call to Zach. 'Pickup, pickup,' I silently pleaded, but he did not answer — must have silenced his com-viewer for the interview. Back in the studio, Spade and Zach sat beside each other in rapt discussion, unknowing of the approaching threat. In desperation, I accessed the studio power controls and blinked the lights three times. Zach looked up in confusion, wrinkling his forehead.

But it was already too late.

In paralyzing dread, I watched on camera as Gideon and his goons burst into the studio, guns drawn. And these weren't stunner handguns, rather deadly projectile weapons. Both Spade and Zach jerked, then froze while staring into the gun barrels.

In the shouts and chaos, Zach drew down hiseyebrows and turned to the camera, yelling, "Avia, run!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 707 74
Jessica Leibniz tried to be a normal teenager, but unlike most teenagers in the 22nd century, she can tell time without a clock. So what good is a wa...
510 27 13
[ 2019 ONC ambassador's pick and ONC shortlister ] The three degrees of Danger are as follows: Denial. You pretend that it's not there and you lie to...
460 492 33
Nothing is more desirable than power, but nothing is more offensive. Henry Williams founded Muse Industries to develop cybernetic implants designed t...
Omnix By Rowan Carver

Science Fiction

2.7K 350 27
4th Place Grandwinner ONC 2022 || Science Fiction The year is 2072. The Omnix Wars are over. The Almats, a brutal society of extraterrestrial conquer...