Burning Promise I a fourth wi...

By violett4175

Sariah Eiran crosses the Parapet, gaining entrance to Basgiath War College's riders quadrent.She swore to her... More

Parapet
Across the Parapet
Day one at Basgiath
Classes
Everything and anything dragon
Challenge one
Grasping the Gauntlet
Setting sun
That fucking wall
Field of flames
Liaison
Everything's Alright
Noted: Flight leathers are not waterproof
Scary Signets
Fuck No
I can't see, I'm blind - SZA
Caught off Guard
Snow isn't the only thing falling
Jealousy, Jealousy
21

After Moon-rise

984 44 22
By violett4175

The sun has long set, and I've already pulled on my night-wear. A lovely midnight blue, silky, thin strapped sleep gown that ends mid thigh.

So why is it that I'm still up, struggling to write a stupid essay. I've rewritten it three times and zoned out more times than I can count. I would dump the whole project if Devera hadn't threatened to cut fly time if we don't hand it in. I lean back in my chair and fidget with my quill. I'm able to use simple magic to write now, but I enjoy having something in my hand to hold for comfort. My vision blurs as I begin zoning out again, but three knocks on my door have me pulled back into reality. I wasn't expecting anyone to come over tonight, but maybe someone wants to have a late night chat. I'm all for anything that's not this stupid assignment. I stand and shuffle over to my door, opening it, but the glimmer of hope for relief from my suffering dies out as soon as I see that it's Liam standing in front of my door.

"Fuck off." I slam my door, but he throws a hand out and catches it just before it closes.

"Why so grumpy?" he tuts.

"You're here, isn't that explanation enough?" I sneer. "Now would you mind letting go of my door, I was sleeping."

His gaze shifts over my head and into my brightly lit room. The essay papers are spread over my desk and the discarded versions are crumpled on the floor.

"Doesn't seem like it," He looks back down at me with a smug smile.

"Fine I wasn't, but you can still fuck off." I try tugging the door out of his grip, but it's like he's glued it to his hand. "Really?" I scowl.

"Don't be so eager to get rid of me." He smirks.

"Well I am." I snap, and cross my hands over my body, remembering that what I'm wearing isn't the most modest thing.

"I need your help." he sighs, giving up his haughty demeanour.

"with what?" I quirk my brow.

"Grounding, shielding, all of it." He says exasperated.

"You're asking me to help you in grounding?" No way Liam is asking me to help him.

"Yes. What's not clear about what I'm saying?" He tilts his head.

I turn back to the essay that I'm so desperate to get away from.

Am I that desperate though?

Fuck, I am.

"Fine, come in. But you'll need to repay me."

"Thank you Saeri." He lets go of the door and takes a few steps into my room. I don't know why but suddenly I'm really fucking jittery. He glances at the balls of paper scattering the floor then looks back at me.

"Don't ask," I raise a hand, then motion for him to sit on my chair. "Take a seat then if you want help, or do you want to stand through the whole thing?" I cock my head to the side.

"Right, thanks." He clears his throat and sits down. Since that's the only chair in my room I opt to sit in the bed, using the blanket to cover my bare legs. I don't have anything to cover my bare shoulders though.

"So what can't you do?" I ask.

"The whole thing." He seems to shrink in the chair as he admits it.

I let a laugh slip, and slam my palm to my mouth. "Sorry," I whisper. But it's kind of funny. Liam who has beat me in everything, who has made my accomplishments be disregarded by my seniors and peers, can't do something as simple as grounding.

"Don't laugh," He scowls. "I seriously can't do it properly, my head keeps spinning and I can't focus."

Guilt hits me in the chest as he explains, because I know the feeling of spinning out of control all too well.

"What do you imagine when trying to ground?" I start.

"Problem number one: I don't know what to imagine. I don't have a 'sacred' spot. I grew up going house to house, being fostered. And school isn't somewhere I feel very grounded." he explains.

"Your safe spot doesn't need to be a place you've been, it can be somewhere you would feel safe, a place you visited in passing, even." I advise. "Try closing your eyes, that might help if you haven't been able to ground stably yet."

it's true closing your eyes does help, but the main reason is because being under his gaze is suffocating me.

Liam nods and shuts his eyes shut. Hopefully he can't feel me staring, because that is exactly what I'm doing. His hair is ruffled by unrest, dark eyebags are visible underneath his long blonde eyelashes, and his lips are pursed in concentration.

"What now?"

"You've got a place?" I ask.

"Yep," he squirms in my chair. I stifle a laugh again because it's funny seeing him so uncomfortable.

"Now, you should be feeling multiple energies around you. Your own signet power, your dragon's energy, and the energy of the people around you." I watch as he contorts his face with focus.

"I feel them."

"Good, now you'll want to take care of your power first. Make your way towards the energy, sometimes it's visual other times it's just a feeling." I continue.

A few minutes pass in silence and I'm starting to fall asleep in the warmth of my sheets.

"I found it Saeri, I see it." He whispers, jolting me out of my half asleep state.

"Now take control, use it to your advantage." I respond groggily, noting that he's still in the same position as he was before I closed my eyes.

He opens his eyes with a jump that makes my chair and desk shake.

"Woah, you good?" I pipe.

"I did it!" He beams, his smile reaching his icy blue eyes.

"Of course you did, you just needed to get the hang of it." I shake my head.

"Want to try your signet against me?" he asks, the excitement in his voice clear.

I groan in response.

"Oh come on. Aren't you curious?" He counters.

"Fine." I roll my eyes. "But don't be surprised if you go blind, I doubt anything will block my signet." I warn.

"Go for it." He urges.

I focus on the foot grounded in my cave and reel in my power, not much is needed since it's only one person and only for a moment. I learned that the hard way, made a poor guy go blind for a week by accident. A surge flows through me as I direct the energy at Liam.

"See? Nothing-" I start.

"Actually, yeah I do see." He interjects.

"What?" I drop the smirk from my face.

"You tried using your signet power, right?" He pauses, and I nod. "It didn't work." He lowers his voice.

"Oh fuck you!" I snarl. Great, just amazing. I can feel my eye twitch as he laughs.

"You could say I can see right through your bullshit."

"That's not funny!" I argue.

"But it is," He leans forward in his seat and keeps laughing.

"Okay, great, you can leave now since I helped." I remark.

"Don't tell me you want to go back to writing Devera's essay?" He lifts his head, tears from his unending laughter glisten in his eyes.

"I don't, but anything better than discovering my powers are useless against you." I cross my arms in my lap.

"Okay, then let me ask you a question." He smiles.

I hesitate for a moment, but give into my curiosity. "Shoot me with it."

"Why did you storm off this morning?" There's a more serious tone in his voice now, and he's stopped laughing.

"Why do you care?" I grumble. Now I just feel embarrassed for getting so pissed at him for not making me a carving of Beliz when he's making the others carving of their dragons.

"Because you're mad at me for something I said.. Or did." He replies.

"It's just stupid, it doesn't matter." I shrug the question off, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"I don't care. You're mad at me and I want to know why." Liam stands up from my chair and moves over to me. He places his hands on either side of my body and leans in, making the bed sink down beside me.

"I want to know why you're mad at me." He repeats.

"It doesn't matter." I try to be intimidating, but my voice comes out much softer than I want it to.

Damn it, it's hot in here. I want to climb out from under my sheets and jump out my window.

"Like I said, it matters to me. Tell me why you're pissed." It's not a question now.

"Oh my gods," I cover my face with my hands. I'm not going to look at him while admitting this. "Your carving everyone's dragons, but you haven't even asked me if I want you to carve Beliz, and I got pissed about it and I know it's silly and I was just being stupid and I don't even know why I'm mad and I just feel so stupid and I'm pissed that you're making me feel so stupid." the words fall out of my mouth, and I have no control over them.

That did not come out how I wanted it too. I want my covers to eat me. I can feel him staring at me even with my face covered, and it's so quiet that it's physically painful.

"Saeri," his voice comes out as a soft caress, and that makes me want to disappear even more. "You could have asked me."

I peak out from between my fingers and make eye contact with him. I might fucking melt. "But I couldn't," I sigh. "I can't."

"Why not?" He's still leaning over me and I can smell leather, fire, and a hint of charum on him.

I'll be needing charum after this.

"Because..." I start. " I don't know!" I gulp.

Because your ego is bigger than mine. Beliz chimes in.

"Not now, beliz." I snap before cutting our connection off. The last thing I need right now is Beliz listening in on me.

Now Liam is laughing.

"Don't be an ass."

"I never took you to be materialistic but I guess I was wrong," He grins.

"I'm not!" I shout, then remember it's past midnight. "I'm not." I say softer.

"You'll have your carving of Beliz." He smirks at me. "I'll make sure of it."

"I better," I shoot, trying to keep the remainder of my dignity intact. He's still standing over me and it's really unnerving now. My whole body is warm and I'm terrified that I'm actually sweating because of his presence.

"Could you get off me now. Please?" I ask.

"You want me to get off?" He looks down at my lips and then back up at me.

I don't want him to leave, but I'm going to do something stupid if he doesn't. I made a promise to myself that I'm not going to break it.

I squeeze my eyes shut. "Yes."

I can feel my mattress bounce back as he lifts himself off of it. Opening my eyes I see him make his way to my door. I really don't want him to leave. Unable to control my own body I move from under the covers and catch his hand.

He turns back to me and smiles. "Thank you, Saeri. I couldn't have done it without you."

"You're welcome." I whisper.

"I have to go now, right?" Liam replies.

"Yeah." I sigh out, but I know I'll regret doing something stupid in the morning.

"Good night then." He pulls his hand from my grip and runs it through my hair before opening the door. Taking one last glance up and down my body before leaving, pulling the creaking door behind himself.

"Good night, Liam."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 835 11
All the betrayers children are marked, they had to watch their parents die. There is a hidden marked one. No one can know, her fathers pride and the...
44.1K 978 40
Xaden RiorsonXFemale OC
34.2K 1K 20
Being trained your whole life for something that will get you killed before your fiftieth birthday has its benefits - Ruth Melgren Ruth Melgren has b...
2.9K 182 15
Being the only daughter of King Tauri can be difficult, especially after her oder Brother Alic died in the threshing mill two years ago. For this rea...