A part of me, a part of you (...

By ImYangLetsFight

Y/n Maizono, along with his sister Sayaka, were chosen to become part of the prestigious Hopes Peak Academy... More

Faded memories, Familiar feelings
A strange feeling
Coffee stains darker than tea
Confirmations of the worst
11037
A trial to remember
Forgotten Youth
Pushing through
Why does everyone save me
Game, set, match
Bro's before Cheerihoes
The hanging of a lost boy
A tough truth to spread
Rank A for Adaptability
Chill Your Chihirios
Friends Make Bad Choices
For The Love of a Digital Sorta-Girl
Trust is a two way street
Chemistry
Popeye the Traitor Man
I wish I Could See You For The First Time Again
Groundhog Day
All Nighters and Fever Dreams

Ishida chronicle

25 2 0
By ImYangLetsFight

Maizono woke up naturally this morning, which was out of character.

He had a hard lump in his stomach, like all his anxiety and dread was concentrated into a boulder he ate, which he took as a sign.
It always was.

Pushing out of bed, he checked his watch.

6:05. Damn.

Y/n just shrugged it off, getting ready for the day. He fastened Sayaka's neckerchief onto his arm again, but this time over his jumper as he also did up his bowtie and clipped on his collar pins. He had been ignoring his usual attire lately, and decided to bring it back. Sayaka certainly wouldn't let him leave so dishevelled, so he agreed to make an effort from now on.

Then, Maizono had an idea.

He walked to a particular dorm, ringing the bell. He was nervous to do so, as he was not very social, but he figured it would do him good. Besides, she was always up at Satan's crack.

After a moment, she opened the door - surprised to see the PI.

"Uh.. Hi Maizono? Everything alright?" Asked Asahina, she looked like she'd seen a ghost.

The PI nodded, swinging a leg idly to stim.
"It's cool if no, but I woke up with hella anxiety - figured a distraction was in good faith. Join me for a swim? We can get Ogami too."

It was like Maizono had said magic words, because Hina was instantly in high spirits as she quickly ran back inside - leaving the door open. Maizono could see her excitedly grabbing a change of clothes and a towel, throwing all of it in her duffel bag and putting her jacket over her shoulder.

A matter of seconds passed, and she was immediately with the PI - shutting her dorm door.

"I'll get Sakura!" Hina chimed, smiling wide.

Maizono grinned back, following her to Ogami's door. When she answered, it was clear she had been mid workout. Or, at least, Maizono hoped that's what they were interrupting, as she was panting and sweaty.

"Morning Sakura! Me and Maizono are going swimming, come with?" Hina cocked her head, smile on her face.

"But what of the nighttime rule?" Ogami asked, wiping her forehead with her wrist.

Maizono smiled. "If Celestia is upset I'll handle it. I think I may have earned her favour."

"Very well. But let's stick together, just incase anyone is out on the prowl." The martial artist stated.

That kind of hit Maizono's stomach funny. Luckily, there was no way anyone would attack them, they were more than capable muscle power.

Him, on the other hand, doubted his skill in self defence.

The trio began the walk upstairs, Hina and Ogami falling into a conversational rhythm. Maizono was silent, but still nodding along as they happily spoke.

When they got to the changing rooms, the two girls waited for Maizono to confirm the emptiness of the boys changing area before going into theirs.

Maizono changed quickly, throwing on some shorts he found in the warehouse and a PJ shirt. It was grey, and he hoped his scars wouldn't show through.

Putting his things into a locker and taking the key, he left the changing room to see Hina and Ogami already in the pool.

"Maizono! Do a cannonball!" Hina yelled.

"Cannonball?" Maizono asked pointedly, head tilting.

Hina looked flabbergasted.

"You don't know what a cannonball is, Maizono-sama?" Ogami asked, a soft smile on her face.

He shook his head. "Not a clue."

"Did you not do them in school?" Hina asked, climbing out of the pool to stand by him and crossing her arms over her chest.

Monokuma didn't provide swimming costumes, so she was hiding herself from the now slightly see through white shirt. Maizono didn't have any intent on looking anyway, making eye contact like he was forcefully taught when talking to people you respect.

He used to hate eye contact as a child, but his dad demanded it. If he didn't make it, he would usually be on the receiving end of a belt for his 'cheek'.

"No, I never swam in school. Actually, the only reason I know how is because Ray would throw me into the river by his office over and over until I got it." Maizono said with a straight face.

Hina and Ogami gave him a concerned look, but Maizono had no idea that was considered 'traumatic'.

"W-Well, a cannonball is when you jump in - but tuck yourself into a ball before you hit the water. Like this!" Hina chimed, giving an example and splashing Ogami - who chuckled.

Maizono nodded. "Okay."

He approached the edge of the pool, looking a bit out of place, before jumping high and cannonballing into the water.

His body submerged, his vision blurring until he swam back up. His glasses were wonky now, but when he returned to the surface he was smiling.

"Hey! That was fuckin' fun!" He yelled, wiping his face and putting his geps straight.

"Hell yeah!" Hina yelled.

Ogami smiled. "Maizono, why wear your glasses in the pool?"

"Oh, well I can't see without them. Not even well enough to have them off from time to time." He explained.

"That's unfortunate." The martial artist stated.

Maizono just shrugged, swimming to meet them in the middle.

"Hey, Maizono?" Asahina called.

"Mhm?"

The near olympian swam up to him, tapping him and yelling "tag!" Before swimimg away.

The boy laughed.
"Well, I beat Celestia at pool yesterday- suppose I'll try my hand at your talent too."

The PI swam after her, at a much slower rate but deeper into the pool. When Hina had popped up from the water, the ripples left over made Maizono invisible.

She was confused, looking around until the PI tagged her ankle, shooting up next to her.

He was panting now. "T....Tag!... oh god that winded me-"

Hina laughed at him. "You are not in good shape, wow."

Maizono shook his head, hand gripping the edge of the pool so he didn't have to try to keep afloat - his breathing still laboured.

Ogami had swam over now, amused at his stamina.
"Interesting how you can outrun most, but a bit of light swimming takes you out."

"L...Light!?" He asked, eyes wide.

Hina grinned. "Yeah! I usually do 200 meters in a race!"

"F..Fuck that!" He yelled, laughing after.
"I really should... Get into shape."

Ogami and Hina shared a look.

"Oh no, what does that mean..."

"We're getting you in shape!" Hina exclaimed.

Maizono looked at her, questioning.

Ogami smiled. "If you'd like. It is optional."

He pondered that. It would be useful.
"What would that entail?"

"Well, we'd test your current strengths and weaknesses, ask you the outcome you'd like to achieve, and then change your diet and routines accordingly." Ogami explained.

It was likely smart. Maizono ate badly if at all. He didn't really exercise - he could run like no tomorrow, sure, but everything else was difficult. He doubted he could even pick up his weight.

"Alright-" before he could finish his sentence, Hina cheered and hugged him - causing them to sink.

They popped back up, Maizono not unlike a drowned rat as Ogami laughed.

"Sorry, Maizono! I forgot we were swimming." Hina apologised.

Maizono snorted. "How do you forget you're swimming?"

She hummed a 'ahdunno'.

The trio continued swimming up until the morning announcement, Hina and Ogami had Maizono trying to do laps - which he struggled to do in general, never mind at their pace.

They decided to get out after that, but their conversations as a trio were a lot smoother now that Y/n was more comfy.

Maizono quickly showered in the locker room, putting his clothes back on and leaving. The girls were waiting for him, and he smiled at that.

"Not gonna lie, now I'm hella hungry." Maizono remarked. They set off to the dining hall, Asahina in the middle of the other two.

"It's natural, swimming is a sport that requires every muscle - fatigue and wanting nutrients are guaranteed." Ogami informed him.

"Huh, interesting. Any particular reason apples sound good right now?" He asked, causing Hina to snort.

"Probably the need for vitamins, I've seen the stuff you eat." Hina joked.

Maizono shook his head - his hair was an absolute mess, still damp.

When they got to the dining hall, Kirigiri greeted them - a second cup already waiting for Maizono.

"Purps! Morning," Maizono sat in his seat, beaming at her.

"You woke up happy. And.. Somewhat messy." Kirigiri commented, looking at the messy mop of hair on the PI. She was fighting every urge inside to call him cute.

Maizono chuckled. "We went swimming, chlorine doesn't like my hair."

"Well, if you swam on the surface it might not be so bad!" Hina called to him, sat at the big table.

"It's the way I learnt!" He was smiley now.

"So, why the sudden urge to swim so early?" Kirigiri asked, taking a sip from her coffee.

"Oh, well, I woke up really early and I had a lot of.. I dunno. Dread? I know it's only been a day, but I really think there's going to be a motive today." Maizono explained, and Asahina tensed up. Ogami was in the kitchen, making her protein coffee.

"That's ironic. I was thinking the same thing." Kirigiri agreed, adjusting her sitting position to be straighter and pulling her glove up her hand more.

"Awesome. Now I feel worse." Maizono was half joking.

"I don't see why, you can't die."

Maizono snorted as he drank his coffee.
"Purps, your foreboding of my death does not make me immortal."

Kirigiri had the smallest smile. "We'll see about that."

Slowly everyone started filtering in, Maizono leant in to Kirigiri a moment. "Do not let Celestia find out we went swimming - I said I'd take the heat, but I do not want to."

Kirigiri hummed, the boy going back to sit normally as he drunk his gogo juice.

As if on cue, the Lolita walked into the hall. She turned to Maizono momentarily.
"Good morning, Y/n."

"Morning." He smiled.

"Dear, your hair is positively heinous. Do fix it, wont you?" The gambler asked, gracefully moving to her spot.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll get it." He agreed, hand going up to it to try and tame it.
When he turned back to Kirigiri she seemed a little... off.

Kirigiri didn't enjoy having negative emotions, but she'd be lying if she didn't consider herself more sensitive to them. She hid it, but it wasn't by any means an ode to their velocity. And right now, she had a mix of hurt and something else.

Maizono had never granted her use of his first name, nor Naegi, so why did Ludenberg get the option from hanging out with him once?

She tried to shake it off, but it was eating her.

And Maizono could see it on her face.

"Hey? Purps? Everything okay?" The PI was worried, arms in the table as he leaned. His eyes were trained onto her like she was the only person in the room.

Kirigiri hummed, finishing her coffee and standing up.
"Goodbye, Maizono."

She left her seat silently, not looking back to him as she walked out of the dining hall, leaving Y/n confused as he stared after her.

"Oh, darling, what did you say?" Celestia asked, hand over her mouth as she giggled.

"...I-I have no idea." Maizono said, hurting more inside than he thought was normal.
"Do I go after her?"

He turned to the gambler, seemingly desperate for an answer as his eyes shone with emotion.

Celestia thought a second, then nodded.
"Go for it."

Maizono was out of his seat instantly, almost phasing through the door. Asahina watched him leave, wondering where that energy was in the pool.

He just caught her as she was about to shut her dorm door.

"Kirigiri! Wait!" He called, getting to her just before it shut. Only half of her was visible through the gap.
"What's wrong? Have I hurt you?"

Kirigiri looked him in the eyes - acting purposefully colder than he'd seen. She didn't speak to him.

"Purps? What's up?" Maizono asked again, worry written all over his face as he did.

Kirigiri could see that he was genuinely worried for her, and that did soften the feelings inside a little. She didn't understand why she felt this way, or even what this feeling was, but she did know she had to compose herself privately.

"Nothing. We'll speak later." She spoke with a frozen tone, shutting the door before the PI could answer.

...

He just stood there for about two minutes, unable to move.

Then, he toddled back to the dining hall.

"Any luck, dear?" Celestia called, gesturing to the seat at her table. Maizono took it.

"Nuh uh, she shut her door on me." Maizono said, worried and confused.
"Do you think it's the hair?"

The PI looked serious as he asked, the mop moving as he spoke. The gambler looked up to it with judging red eyes before looking at the rest of him with a polite laugh.

"No, but it probably didn't help."

Maizono sighed, hanging his head. After a moment, he lightly hit the table with a fist.

"Uh.. I need a distraction. Tea?" He offered, pulling his face down with his hands before standing.

"Do you have to ask?" Celestia chimed, not looking up.

"No, I was just being polite." Maizono said, going to the kitchen with a slight sting in his chest.

-===-

Maizono had waited in the dining hall until around 11:00 hoping Kirigiri would return. Naegi had joined him, conversation distracting him. He never mentioned what happened, not wanting the luckster to fixate on it.

Their conversation was a little one sided, Naegi talking about something to do with Blackroot Junior high. He was sure he heard Sayaka's name in there too, but his mind was occupied with the anxiety of what he'd done. He didn't like upsetting Kirigiri.

It was weird, he normally couldn't give a damn if he'd rubbed anyone the wrong way.

That's the thing, he supposed. She isn't just 'anyone'.

All of a sudden, the monitors came on.

There it was. The dread.

The bear laughed menacingly, paws at his face.
"Hop to, half asses! Toddle your haggard little selves over to the gymnasium! On the double! And try not to get lost on the way! Explanation is forthcoming."

The screen flickered off, everyone taking a moment to stare.

Everyone left the hall to go to the gym, Naegi and Maizono in step. As they left, they saw Kirigiri walking past.

"Hey, Kirigi-" Maizono called to her, but the girl just sped up - ignoring him.

Maizono looked dejected.

"Why is she mad at you?" Naegi asked, the duo starting to walk again.

"I...I really don't know.." Maizono sounded upset, so Naegi turned to him - only to see his face was more sad than his tone. It made the luckster hurt for him.

"Hey, I'm sure it's fine. Maybe she just really wanted to listen to Monokuma?" Naegi tried.

The PI snorted, face still down but a small smile taking place.
"Yeah, no, she's absolutely dying to get some of that Ursa lovin'!"

Naegi chuckled. "Look, I'll go talk to her after the motives revealed. Maybe it's just a misunderstanding."

Maizono nodded. "It's appreciated, but if she doesn't want to talk don't make her. She'll talk to me in time. I hope."

They arrived at the gym, Naegi walking up to stand with Kirigiri as Maizono lingered at the back.

Seeing this, Ludenberg walked from the front of the area up to him - which Kirigiri watched.

"Y/n, dear, everything alright?" She called, taking place beside him quietly.

He shrugged, sighing as he looked at the back of Kirigiri's head.
"Not a scooby."

Suddenly, the bear popped up to his podium, taking everyone's attention as he did.
"Hey, hey, the gangs all here!"

"What sadistic scheme have you cooked up now?" Togami demanded, staring at the bear with hateful eyes.

You know Maizono is upset when he doesn't loudly point out 'not hanging up a corpse for fun, that's for certain.'.

Monokuma started laughing.
"That's the ten billion yen question!"

He laughed as stacks of money started filling the table, pilling high as he jumped to sit atop.

Maizono could practically hear Celestia's eyes shine, but looking over to her she was completely composed.

"Yes kiddies! All this mullah will be yours if you graduate! Sweet, right? Hah? Hahh?"

"Thats a lot of c-cash.." Fukawa let out, Hagakure was tweaking behind her - looking at the pile.

Ogami got mad, stepping forwards with a fist held high. "Is life so cheap you'd label it with a price tag?"

Naegi yelled, fists balled - he was trying to be intimidating but he moreso looked like an ant squaring up to a polar bear.
"I know what you're trying to do! We're not gonna massacre each other for money! Period!"

"Ooh, he said on Periodt!" Maizono whisper yelled, doing a sassy little finger wag and click to go with it. It was mostly to cheer himself, but the gambler beside him got a laugh out of it too.

Monokuma started laughing his signature laugh, arms crossed as he looked down on us, both literally and figuratively.
"Sure! Whatever you say, Saint Francis, I'll just leave you fine upstanding screwheads to scratch out a living as professional students!"

The bear decended with the money, podium popping back up empty after.

"...what does Sir Francis have to do with Naegi?" Maizono whispered to Celestia.

"Saint Francis, dear. The one who gave to the unfortunate." The gambler corrected.

"Ohh, you see he talks so strange it's hard to hear it." Maizono explained. Celestia rolled her eyes, smiling at him.

Suddenly, Fukawa yelled. "Fine! I'll be the o-one to say it! You know somebody here is hurtin' for cash!"

"Quiet your minds. If we give credence to money, our situation will only worsen." Ogami said, and she was correct.

"Oh? You think!?" Fukawa yelled.

Celestia was next to address the class from Y/n's side, playing with one of her twin drills.
"So the leu of escape wasn't enough, the mastermind will pull whatever strings he can to pit us against each other. Adapting to life, as fellow prisoners, is our only means of survival."

Hina sighed, worried.

"Asahina, what is the matter?" Ogami asked, concerned.

She hesitated.
"I-Its nothing.. I mean its just that- don't think I'm crazy, but uhm.... I think I might have... seen the ghost of Fujisaki.."

Everyone turned attention to her now, questions on their tongue.

Yamada and Hagakure were already freaking out.

"Well, then let's go to where you saw it. I'm sure it's less daunting during the day, right?" Naegi offered, hopeful smile on his face.

"O-Okay.. It was in the bathhouse." Asahina said, arms up on her chest.

-===-

Everyone had gathered in the bathhouse - even Ishimaru, to the surprise of the class. Maizono had tried talking to Kirigiri, but she had dismissed him almost instantly. He was now on the wall opposite the lockers, behind everyone else as he leant against the wall, utterly dejected.

Hagakure groaned. "Uh... thanks for givin' me the heebiegeebies."

Yamada had his hands together, chanting "I do believe in spooks, I do believe in spooks!"

"Yamada! Not cool brah! We'll get hit! It'll come for us in our sleep!" Hagakure yelled, desperately trying to make him stop.

That's when Naegi noticed a locker half open.
"Wait..."

He reached out, opening it fully. "Didn't this belong to... then how come...? Somebody just... left it here?"

Maizono couldn't see what they were looking at.

Kirigiri took over, going beside Naegi.
"Haven't you noticed? The layout of this room. There's a very important difference here."

Kirigiri was bent over, hands on knees as she looked to what Maizono now knew was a laptop - Naegi standing straight to look around the room.

"Uh... there are no surveillance cameras. At all." He pointed out.

Maizono was under the impression everyone knew this.

Kirigiri hummed, staring at the computer.
"Yes, that's right. Monokuma can't see or hear us. Which makes this an ideal hiding place."

Kirigiri switched the laptop on, the head of Fujisaki spinning round to look at everyone. It looked so... life like. Like a recording.

"Hi there! Good to see you master!" It chimed, smiling.

Yamada and Hagakure instantly freaked out, leaning back with open mouths, yelling 'g-g-g-ghost!' comically before slamming their hands together and chanting simultaneously.

"Calm down. It's a computer." Ogami stated evenly, looking at the two.

They'd done as told, leaning to look at the laptop in question.

"Wait, Master, where'd you go?" The PC asked.

"What is going on?" Naegi asked.

Kirigiri immediately started typing in to the computer at an impressive speed. Maizono couldn't see what she wrote, but inferred from the response it was something along the lines of 'what are you?'.

"Oh! Well, hello hello! Welcome, I'm Alter Ego!" Chimed the head, dancing from side to side happily.
"A specially designed artificial intelligence program."

"So creepy, the voice sounds exactly like him..!" Asahina said, Ogami behind her agreeing.

"That is slightly unnerving."

"It's not uncommon for hackers to make vanity avatars, remember Fujisaki was something of a programming prodigy before being ensared by this place." Kirigiri said, before typing again.

Maizono hated this. He was stood all the way over here, feeling like he wasn't supposed to be there. Meanwhile, all he could think about was just how much he loved her voice.

It was an annoying thought. Like her being mad at him was causing all his feelings to bubble over.

Kirigiri had typed another question out, which Maizono had assumed was 'what are you doing here?'.

"Oh! Analysing all files on this hard drive. Give me just a second please."

The head then span as it sort of moaned. That was... weird. Maizono didn't exactly want to hear a dead boy moan.

"The encryption's insane! I don't know, something tells me files this protected must belong to Hope's Peak." It smiled, everyone gasping.

Maizono leant his head up against the wall, staring at the ceiling.

"Anything to give us an advantage over Monokuma." Kirigiri said, staring at the screen.

God, Maizono hated that bear - but adored the way she said his name. She over pronounced the "ku" in a way he found adorable. It was killing him, and not in the usual way. He was actually dying knowing she was upset with him.

"It's about time we had a little luck!" Naegi chimed.

Maizono had his arms crossed, his face very obviously frustrated - which he clued from the Gambler coming to his side.

"Y/n, dear, this misery is not suiting you." Celestia spoke quietly, respecting his privacy despite the obvious anguish.

"Uhhhmmm..." Alter Ego earned everyone's attention, it was swinging side to side.
"So guys, I haven't seen Master for a while. Know where he is?"

There was a pause, the room suddenly becoming loud with white noise.

However, luckily for everyone else, Kirigiri didn't mind being blunt. Squinting, Maizono made out the words she typed.

'Fujisaki was murdered by Owada.'

Maizono snorted, earning Celestia's attention. The gambler shook her head with a small smile.
"You are not sneaky, darling."

"Hey, she's funny though." Maizono replied, the smallest smile on his face as he watched the situation unfold like a spectator.

The AI gasped, showing a lot of emotion for a machine. Its eyes teared up.
"I understand...." it sniffed.
"I was prepared. The probability of Master making it out of this place alive was staggeringly low, it was only a matter of time."

Yamada rudely spoke over him while he grieved, but Maizono didn't pay attention to him. What did catch his gaze was Ishimaru - who looked a little more human.

He walked forward, gently pushing Naegi and Kirigiri out of the way so he could look at Alter Ego face to face.

His expression was not seen by Maizono, but he could see the shake in his shoulders. He was starting to cry.

"Y-You're still with us.. you never really died..." he called, voice jumpy through sobs.

"Ishimaru, hi!" The AI chimed.

The Moral Compass bent over Kirigiri as she leant away, knelt on the floor below him. He was staring at the screen, his breathing ragged.

"I-hm...I-It's okay.. If you hate me.."
he was sobbing between words, and it softened Maizono a great deal. He wanted to go comfort the boy, but knew it best to let him have this moment solo.
"I-I understand... I couldn't stop him from.. doing what he did. ... ... . ... I was a cowa-ard."

Kirigiri hummed, empathising with the boy enough to lean her arms past him to type. She seemed to ask 'Do you hate Ishimaru?'.

Alter Ego gasped. "Uh ohh, you feel responsible for what happened to me..."

The AI shrunk, and when it came back on screen it was the spitting image of Owada.

"Lighten up. Dude, you can't carry the weight of the world on your back for somethin' I did!" AI Owada called, voice simulated perfectly.

Ishimaru paused, staring at him with wide eyes.
"O..Owada..?"

"Woah... this is, uh..." Naegi muttered, not believing his eyes.

"I made my own decisions, mullin' over a bunch of 'what ifs' ain't gonna do you any good. This wasn't your fault. I'm my own man, just like you."  AI Owada called out, then he turned to the other side of the screen.
"Thing is, if you wanna feel angry, fine. Just don't marinate in it, use it for somethin' thats worth it. Might manage to wake yourself up from this nightmare. Gotta be ready, don't'cha? Think about it bro. Seriously."

With that, he was gone.

Ishimaru was still sobbing, but once shallow breaths became deep as he shut his eyes, thinking hard.

Alter Ego came back on screen, smiling.
"That was actually pretty good, huh!? Owada's speech patterns were tricky to simulate, but I'm confident that's what he would have wanted to say."

"I-I am touched.. Truly and deeply.." Ishimaru asserted through tears, everyone turning attention to him.
"Those words.. were like his.. I can feel his soul.. it's moving through me!"

Ishimaru then yelled, lifting a fist in the air as he did. When he brought his elbow back down, he was glowing. His hair had turned platinum white, and his aura felt new.

Maizono raised a brow, pushing from the wall with his arms crossed. That seemed worrying.

"Ishimaru, are you.. okay?" Naegi asked, looking up at him.

"Not now, bro! But who's Ishimaru!? I'm... Ishidaaaaa!!!!" The compass continued screaming the name as he ran out of the bathhouse, Maizono was quick to give chase until-

A hand grabbed his elbow, stopping him. A move he'd had done twice before, so he had hoped it was her. However, when he turned to face the culprit, it was Celestia with a small smile.

"Y/n, darling, leave him for now. Everyone grieves differently, and this is certainly progress for him. You can check on him later."  The Lolita was stood as straight as usual, so her grip on his arm was surprising.

More surprising was Kirigiri's reaction to this, as she rolled her eyes and pushed past the two - leaving.

Maizono was even more confused.

Naegi patted his back, then ran after the lilac toned girl.

"Is it the way I'm speaking today?" Maizono asked no one in particular, staring at the exit.

-===-

The next morning, Maizono and Naegi were on their way out of the dining hall - Maizono had been up previously, making Kirigiri coffee.

She never came for it.

Naegi convinced him to hang out with him, citing a distraction was due when they heard it..

..Yamada screaming.

The boys shared a look before following the scream to the Bathhouse, and when they ran in what they saw over the divider was-

Yamada was on his knees, chanting apologies to a not so impressed Kirigiri who was staring at him with no real reaction. But her arms were crossed, back straight, and Alter Ego was between them.

Maizono had recently became intimately aware of that face. She was pissed off.

Behind them, was Celestia, Asahina and Ogami - watching this unravel before them.

Kirigiri turned her head to see the two at the door as Yamada ran to them, grabbing the divider and begging for help.

"Naegi! Maizono! I'm serious! I'm on my knees here!" His hands clasped together, sweat running down his face.

Maizono found this mildly amusing, it was fun not being on the receiving end of Kirigiri's wrath.

Though, it didn't last too long as he caught the glare from the girl directed at his presence.

Naegi leant over the divider, looking towards the girl.
"Yeeaaah... Can somebody explain-?"

Kirigiri spoke almost over him, turning to look down with her eyes shut.
"I just asked a simple question. Why he's using Alter Ego after hours without permission."

Naegi looked at Yamada for an answer.

He whined, blushing. "I get lonely!! I just wanted someone to talk tooo! It's not everyday I find someone who doesn't look at me side ways when I start talking about the things I'm into. Honestly, it was a first! N-Normal people aren't like that. Normal people would think I'm a freaaak!"

Asahina spoke up, trying to reason. "You do know he isn't real, it's just a program."

"Not that it's any of my business, but I don't think this sort of friendship is very healthy." Celestia stated, hand to her chin.
"Yes, we're all repulsed by you, but still."

Maizono nearly laughed. Even when trying to be nice, Celestia still had a way with words that stabbed your gut.

Yamada started whining again, almost crying.
"Don't rub it in! .."

The next sentence he said, Maizono genuinely couldn't translate - but he didn't have to, as more context revealed itself.

The doors connected to the baths opened, steam filling the room. Ishimaru stepped through in only a towel, so warm he was practically smoking.
"Hoah! This sauna is Amazeballs!"

Kirigiri shut her eyes without any reaction, Asahina was red, covering her eyes.
And Celestia...

..Well, she pretty much raked her eyes all over his body like he was a piece of meat.

"Ishimaru?" Naegi called, walking up to him.

"Why the hell you callin' me that, dude! Keep that crap up and you're gonna give me an identity crisis!" 'Ishida' proclaimed, and Maizono weeped the irony.
His eyeliner was done exactly how Owada would do his, red iris' seemingly ablaze.

"Anyways, screw that! I heard your little powow and did not dig what I heard! Alter Ego's mine A-Holes!" Ishida pointed to himself, and as he did Yamada slid to his feet.

"Nooo! This is true love! And I'll be damned if I let you come betwixed us!" Yamada yelled, but Maizono's limited attention span was locked onto something else.

Kirigiri looked fierce, opening her sharp lilac orbs to glare daggers at the duo. Somehow she held no visual reaction, but her tone was nothing short of cold.
"Enough! Both of you! We're not getting into a tug-of-war over this, understood? Call it Fujisaki's legacy, but this computer may well be our best chance to escape!"
Her tone calmed a little for the next part, but was no less harsh.
"It belongs to everyone, so from now on no one's allowed in here without permission!"

Maizono had frozen, staring at the girl with a slight tint on his cheeks. It was a surprise to him to react this way, but god he kind of wanted to be spoken to like that.
His emotional panic did not go unwitnessed, as the Lolita smirked at him - thoroughly enjoying his embarrassing reaction.

Meanwhile, Ishida and Yamada stared each other down, looking like they would fight to the death.

Kirigiri began to leave, turning to the PI for the first direct words she spoke to him since yesterday.

"When you're quite done gawking, you and Naegi can inform everyone I'll be keeping my dorm door open at night. No one gets to use Alter Ego without asking."

Apparently his wish was her command, because the demanding tone directed at him ate through his head.

He hated that she was mad at him, it hurt a lot more than he wagered.

Kirigiri left the bathhouse, leaving the others in silence.

Naegi laughed suddenly, it was quite nervous.
"Well... At least she spoke to you?"

The luckster, Asahina, Ogami and Celestia all looked at the frozen PI - who had an expression of both stunned and, frankly, flustered.

Celestia tilted her head, innocent smile on her face.
"I think we may have to leave him to compute, let's disperse."

-===-

The day had continued on, Naegi trying to cheer Maizono up by taking him to the rec room. It didn't work.

They had informed everyone over dinner Kirigiri's plan to keep her dorm open at night in order to protect Alter Ego, a plan that had Maizono worried.

So worried, in fact, that now - 10:35pm - he was silently sat against Sayaka's dorm door, staring down in the direction of Kirigiri's room. He couldn't stomach letting her keep watch alone, especially since he knew she still planned to sleep through the night. Anyone willing to kill her would have a nasty surprise in trying, he knew that, but he figured better safe than sorry - two people vs one was safer.

That said, he didn't want Kirigiri to find out. Maizono didn't yet know why she was mad at him, the question bugging his mind since she first got upset, and he didn't want to accidentally worsen it.

The hallway was cold, which caused him to regret not wearing his blazer. At least he had his jumper on. He had showered earlier, so his wet hair was not helping either - but he knew if he went inside to get anything, the sound of his door would alert the ultimateless girl.

So, instead, he just sucked it up - opting to be as quiet as possible. And he managed it, mentally singing '900,000 green bottles on the wall'.

At least, that was until he swallowed funny and choked on his own spit, interrupting his count at '403,107 green bottles.'.

Fuck, please be asleep-

"Maizono?"

Not asleep...

Kirigiri was stood outside her dorm now, wearing the Hope's Peak pyjamas Monokuma provided with a hand to her doorframe.

"What are you doing?" Clearly, Kirigiri was tired, as her tone wasn't nearly as mad as earlier.

"...You know... Just sat.." he replied, a little sheepish.

Kirigiri rolled her eyes, walking to stand not too far from him with her arms crossed.
"You know my meaning."

Her hair was fully down, one side slightly curlier than the rest due to the plait being untied. Maizono made sure to look elsewhere, else he fixate on how pretty she was.

"...It's not important." Was his answer, which he knew wasn't going to slide as their silence continued - purple eyes burning into the side of his head.

"Fine. I... I couldn't just go to sleep knowing your doors open. I was keeping watch." He admitted, refusing to look to her still as he acted like the floor was entirely interesting.

After a moment of silence, Kirigiri surprised him by sitting down next to him at Sayaka's door. She was considerably closer to him than she'd normally sit.

"Maizono, I'd like to apologise to you. I may have... Overreacted a little." Kirigiri let out, also looking forwards instead of at the PI.

Maizono was taken aback by that, gaze going to the side of her face now.
"I was under the impression I did something wrong? I've been trying to figure it out so I could apologise."

Kirigiri shut her eyes, humming as she lightly shook her head.
"No. You did nothing."

The PI cocked an eyebrow.
"Then.. What was wrong?"

His tone was soft, worried, and held absolutely no resentment towards her for the way she acted. That took her by surprise a little, as she felt she definitely deserved to be blamed.

Kirigiri's face heated up a little, gaze now to her left - well away from Maizono to speak her mind.
"I... May have been a little...."

She paused.

"I... believe I was jealous over Ludenberg being granted use of your name." Kirigiri's eyes were shut tight, not enjoying being emotionally vulnerable.

Maizono stared at the back of her head, knowing she wouldn't turn back around. He was...

..stunned.

But then he found himself understanding.

"That's perfectly valid, Purps. To be honest, if you let someone use yours I'd have probably been jealous too. Well.. Not probably. I would have." The PI admitted, looking down to his hands as he played with his jumper sleeves.

Kirigiri hummed then, letting that knowledge sink in before turning to the boy.

Maizono continued.
"I wasn't originally going to let her. But, she kind of figured out my... secret."

Y/n sighed, looking up to Kirigiri now and meeting her eyes.
"She then confided one of her own to me, so when she granted me usage of her name I felt I should return it. But,"

Maizono adjusted his sitting position now, the formerly hunched over boy now straight - shoulder almost touching Kirigiri's.
"I wanted to let you first. The reason I haven't is because I know you're more private, I know the use of your name is a lot more intimate for you than others. I didn't want you to feel pressured into allowing me just because I did you."

Kirigiri stared at the PI for a little bit, lilac eyes locked onto e/c. Then, she turned away as she smiled. It wasn't her usual trying to hide it smile. It was her natural one, and one that Maizono found himself wanting to look at forever.

"You're sweet, you know that?"

Kirigiri's voice was... considerably more emotional than Maizono had yet heard, and he couldn't help but feel elated.

Maizono chuckled under his breath, shaking his head.
He then did something without thinking, panic ensuing his features as he did. He moved his hand from his lap, coving Kirigiri's gloved one that resided on the floor.

Maizono wanted to take that back, entirely terrified he'd done something wrong when he heard the girl gasp lightly. He refused to look at her, face heating up in embarrassment. But then..

Kirigiri rested her head on Maizono's shoulder, lilac eyes sneakily watching his reaction without his knowledge.

Maizono was beet red, but he was.. comfortable. A small, content smile reaching his face.

"Hey.. Kirigiri? You know that I'm closer to you than anyone else now, right?"  Maizono's voice was quieter than intended.
The lilac toned girl hummed, eyes shutting as she adjusted on his shoulder.

"You are for me too." Was the response, which had Maizono's chest pounding as his heart sped up.

They stayed this way for a long while, a comfortable silence befalling them. It was.. nice.
Neither were used to these sorts of comforts, and yet here they were - enjoying them. The only issue being in both of their minds. Each had a question.

'Is this platonic?'

Up until recently, both had definitely thought so despite the jokes, 'fake' flirting, and general interest in each other.

Kirigiri hadn't considered otherwise until yesterday morning, when she had first realised in the solitude of her room she was jealous.

Maizono hadn't considered it either, at least not until the other day - when Kirigiri had caught him in the physics lab.

Both agreed they'd definitely felt something.

Neither could label it.

One thing was as sure as fact, to them both.

They thought the other didn't feel it.

....

.....

After a while, Kirigiri gently lifted up her head and stood up, dusting herself off before offering Maizono her hand.
When he took it, she pulled him to his feet and smiled at him.

"It's late and cold, I'd like to sleep. I know you're stubborn, so I won't convince you to leave. But, at least keep watch inside my dorm so you're not out in the open. I worry about you too."

It was so unusual hearing Kirigiri so open. It wasn't entirely open, there was a lot of guarding of her thoughts still, but the small amount she let come through had Maizono dizzy.

The PI nodded, the softest grin on his face as he looked at her.
"Sure."

The pair walked into her room in silence, Kirigiri getting into her bed and sighing at its warmth.
It was a sweet sound..

Maizono sat on the floor against the side of her bed, at the bottom. He was facing the open door.

Kirigiri was turned onto her side, idly watching the PI as he played with his laces.

Clearly, he had planned to be up all night, as he was fully dressed with damp hair.

He's an idiot.

Kirigiri couldn't help staring, the boy non the wiser. The dim light of the hallway had illuminated his eyes as he stared out the door, making them so much prettier than they already were - a small, content smile on his face as he did what he could to take care of her.

It was funny.

They both knew Kirigiri could more than handle herself, but she also knew that Maizono hated the idea of her having to.

Truly an enigma.

Eventually, Kirigiri fell asleep - leaving the PI to the silence of the night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 97 23
Kiku Hansaki is a new transfer student in Hope's Peak Academy. He was scouted as the Ultimate Artist of the 77th class for his award winning artistic...
50K 978 22
You get selected to go to hopes peak academy and everything seems to be going fine. All of a sudden two of your boy best friends die? But why? Throug...
1.1K 3 23
Naegi Makoto, SHSL Luck, attends Hopes Peak with other interesting students including some old friends! He attends with his ex girlfriend, Maizono Sa...
2K 28 11
10/25/2022: DISCONTINUED Something about him stood out to you, but what? His stubbornness? His wealth? No, it had to be something else. Y/N L/N. The...