𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧...

By allkerishea

ᴀ ᴛᴀʟᴇ ᴏғ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛʙʀᴇᴀᴋ ᴀs ᴀ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴇɴᴄᴏᴜɴᴛᴇʀ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴄʟᴜʙ ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴀɴ ɪɴᴛᴇɴsᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴜᴍᴜʟᴛᴜᴏᴜs ʀᴇʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴsʜɪᴘ... More

chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven.
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven.
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen.
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty one.

chapter twenty

64 3 0
By allkerishea

it's hot and sticky in the room, making it hard to breathe. Shea lies on the bed, her heart racing as she listens to Chris pace back and forth.

"why are you pacing so much? you're stressing me out." she says. he continues to pace, not looking at her.

but it's clear that something is bothering him. she sits up, worry growing in her chest. she reaches out to touch his arm, but he flinches away from her. "baby, what's wrong?" she asks, her voice soft and concerned. "you're scaring me." he stops pacing, taking a deep breath before turning to face her.

"You and Winter." he says, the words coming out in a rush. "What's the worse thing he's done?"

"Blow up your car." she whispers.

"That's it?" he asks, his voice filled with disbelief. "You're making it sound like he's some petty criminal."

"When I was 14 years old, I went to this school dance with my friends. And I had a lot of guys friends back then ... and he got into a fight with one of them over a joke they made to me. It was a pretty nasty joke, like ... really nasty. And Winter came over and just took him out. Like, literally. He beat him up so badly, he had to go to the hospital." she says, her voice trembling. "My friend was in a coma. And when he woke up, he like -- had no memory of anything. And his mom stopped him from talking to any of us. We were all scared."

"What did he do after that?" Chris asks, his voice tight.

"He left. We didn't see him. He was in New York, visiting. And ... the next day, we got into a huge argument over the phone and then ... I bumped into him, but it wasn't a coincidence. He planned it. And then ... my friend tried to step in and he stabbed her in the shoulder." Shea whispers. "And then he left again."

Chris frowns. "I don't understand why you're still defending him." he says, sitting down beside her. "He's dangerous, Shea."

"No, he's only dangerous when you piss him off. Which is why I told you to stop trying to fight him. He doesn't just fight people. He goes straight to violence." Shea says, tears welling up in her eyes.

"You told me he's hit you before, right?" Chris asks, his voice gentle. Shea nods, sniffling. "Why would you want to be with someone like that?" he continues. "Someone who hurts you?"

"... I was a kid. Who felt alone. And although he was super scary sometimes, he also ... was my shield, you know?" she says, wiping her tears. "He protected me from everyone and everything. But now I'm older. And I know better. And I know it was bad."

"Right time, wrong person?" Chris asks, tilting his head.

"Yeah ... wrong person." Shea whispers. "But I still care about him. I just wish I could make him understand that." She sighs, rubbing her eyes. "I'm sorry for telling you all of this. I shouldn't have put you in danger like that."

"Nah, tell me more about him." Chris insists.

"There's so much that happened. So much trauma and morbidity. I dunno. He just ... he was broken. And hurting. And he just ... went about it the wrong way." she says, staring off into the distance. "When he was a kid, his mom ... she was terrible to him. Chased him around, scared him, hit him ... left him to grow up on his own, so fast. He just ... harbored a lot of anger. And I was there. I saw it. And I wanted to help. But he didn't want it ... and I just had to leave him..." Shea trails off, tears beginning to fall again.

"He was your first everything, wasn't he?" Chris asks softly, wiping her tears with his thumbs. Shea nods, sniffling. "You know, I've met a lot of people in my life, Shea. A lot of people who've been hurt and abused and left behind. But you're special. You're strong. And you deserve so much better."

Shea looks up at him, her eyes red and puffy. "Do you think so?" she whispers. "Do you really think I deserve better?"

He cups her face in his hands and kisses her gently. "Yes. I think you deserve the world. And I'm here to give it to you."

Shea smiles. "You came into my life at a ... terrible time, but also the perfect time."

"Me too," he whispers, smiling down at her. "I don't know how it happened, but I'm so glad it did."

He kisses her again, this time deeper, his hands sliding down her back, pulling her closer. She responds, wrapping her arms around his neck, their bodies molding together perfectly. Shea moans into the kiss, lost in the heat and the passion and the safety she feels in his arms.

They don't speak for a long time, just kiss and touch, their breath mingling, their hearts racing. Shea feels like she's floating, weightless and free. And as they continue to kiss, she knows that whatever happens next, she's going to be okay. Because she has Chris. And together, they can face anything.

🧿

with a glass of wine in one hand and her book in the other, Shea sunbaths by the pool. she sighs contentedly, lost in her own thoughts and the world of the novel she's been immersed in.

"Baby?" Chris's voice cuts through the silence, making her jump slightly. "Can I join you?" he asks. She glances at him, still lost in her thoughts, but manages a small smile. "Sure, come on." She pats the space next to her, handing him her nearly full glass of wine. "How was your day?"

"Fuckin' boring. Where's Roman?" Chris takes a sip of her wine, his gaze drifting around the pool area.

"He's inside, taking his nap." Shea glances at the baby monitor on the pool table, making sure it's still on. "He's been kind of cranky today."

"He's getting to that age where he's teething -- he's gonna be cranky a lot." Chris takes another sip of wine, gazing out over the pool. "It's funny how much we forget about that stuff when we have them."

"Yeah..." Shea trails off, lost in thought once more.

he smiles a bit. "You're so ... fucking gorgeous." he says softly, reaching out to touch her cheek. "I never get tired of looking at you." Shea blushes, but doesn't pull away from his touch.

Over the baby monitor, Roman whimpers, sitting up in his crib. "Do you want to go check on him?" Chris asks, motioning to the monitor. "He might need a bottle or something."

Shea presses the intercom bottom. "Roman ... mommy's here." She says, smiling as the baby glances at the baby monitor, laying his head against his pillow. "You're okay, baby." she whispers, watching him until he finally settles down again.

"Or you can just do that too." Chris says, nodding toward the baby monitor.

Shea giggles. "Mom life -- it's kinda lit." She finishes her wine and sets the glass on the table. "Why are you dressed like that?" she asks, noticing how fancy Chris looks. "You going somewhere?"

he nods. "With my homies, you know, just gonna have a night out." he grins, running a hand through his hair.

"The last time you did that when we were together, you got your dick sucked by your ex." Shea reminds him, her voice laced with a hint of sarcasm.

he gives her a look. "That's not gonna happen again." he says confidently, leaning in to kiss her. Shea hesitates for a moment, then kisses him back. His lips are warm and familiar against hers, and she can't help but wonder if this is all just a dream.

"Okay... I trust you." Shea says, still unsure. "But just... be careful. Please. For me." She leans her head against his shoulder, taking a deep breath. "I love you."

"I love you too." Chris says, running his fingers through her hair.

🩵

Roman shrieks, rubbing at his jaw and thrashing around in his crib. "Oh, baby..." Shea says, quickly crossing the room to check on him. He's tossing and turning, clearly uncomfortable. She picks him up, carefully cradling him in her arms as she paces the room. "Shh... it's okay, bubba. Mommy's here."

He's in pain. His face is red and his gums are inflamed. He's obviously teething.

She carries him to the kitchen and grabs the frozen ring from the freezer. Roman is immediately soothed by the cold, his cries subsiding as he nurses on the ring. She holds him close, her heart aching for him.

Lone tears roll down his face, mixing with the drool on his chin. She wipes it away gently, her fingers trembling slightly. She's exhausted, but she can't help but feel a sense of purpose in this moment. As if taking care of her baby is the only thing that truly matters in the world.

His hair is growing so fast, she thinks to herself, running a hand through it absentmindedly. He's getting bigger every day, and it's both terrifying and exhilarating. She holds him close, inhaling the sweet scent of his skin, feeling grateful for this moment of stillness in the midst of the chaos that is their lives.

Just as everything calms down and she rests her forehead on his little cheek, Shea hears thudding coming from upstairs.

The dogs run down the steps and out to the backyard, making Shea frown in confusion. Something's definitely not right. She picks Roman up, carrying him back into the living room as she approaches the baby monitor. The screen is blank.

Roman rests his head on her shoulder, his tiny body warm and heavy against hers. She takes a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves as she walks back upstairs. The thudding sound gets louder as she approaches the bedroom door, and she can't help but feel a sense of dread building in her chest.

"Roman ... do you wanna watch some TV?" she asks softly, cradling him in one arm as she fumbles for the remote with her free hand.

The screen flickers to life, and she scrolls through the channels until she finds a children's cartoon. Roman seems content, so she carefully lays him down in his rocker, before turning to head towards the bedroom door.

She enters the master bedroom, checking the closet and the bathroom -- and there's nothing. the thudding has subsided. Maybe it was just the dogs playing? She walks back to the bed, sitting down on the edge and pulling the covers up, her heart still racing.

She stands up and turns to leave, but as she does, she sees something out of the corner of her eye. Something moving. She freezes, her heart dropping into her stomach.

but she ignores it, running out of the room and back downstairs, sitting in the living room with Roman who's clapping his hands to the music on TV. She glances back at the monitor, watching the blank screen, waiting for something... anything... to appear.

it feels like hours have gone by before she realizes she's dozed off, and Roman is now asleep in his rocker, snoring gently.

it's 12 am and Chris still isn't back yet. she should call him... but she's too afraid of what she might hear on the other end of the line. she lies awake, the worry and fear pressing down on her chest like a physical weight.

she stands, picking up Roman and carrying him to his nursery, carefully laying him down in his crib. she can't shake the feeling that something is wrong.

when she walks into the master bedroom, she takes a deep breath, going into the bathroom to change her clothes. she feels and looks exhausted. as she pulls off her shirt, she notices a bruise on her arm. it's dark and purple, and it hurts when she touches it. she tries to remember how she got it, but the memories are hazy. she slips on a tank top and a pair of pajama pants, then walks back into the bedroom.

she gasps, freezing as she sees Winter sitting there on the loveseat. he looks at her and smiles, but it's cold and empty.

"Winnie..." She whispers, taking a step closer to him.

"You're still calling me that?" he laughs. "After your fucking boyfriend hired a bunch of people to fucking beat the shit out of me? You're gonna call me that?"

"I ... I didn't know he did that." she says, her voice shaking.

he reaches into his back pocket. "Okay, Shea." he pulls his gun out, pointing it at her. "I'm going to need you to tell me where he is."

"Who?" she asks, her heart racing.

"Don't." he growls. He steps forward, grabbing her arm roughly. The bruise throbs in pain. He pushes her up against the wall, the gun still trained on her. "Tell me where Chris is."

"I don't ... I dunno." her words come out in a rush. She can feel her breath coming faster, her body trembling. "Please, just let me go." she whispers, closing her eyes.

"Tell me where the fuck he is." Winter growls, pushing harder against her. The pain in her arm makes her cry out. "Tell me, Shea." he demands, his voice cold and hard. "Or I swear to God I'll put a bullet in your head."

Shea cries. "I don't know where he went..." she whimpers. Tears stream down her face.

"All I ever wanted to do was protect you. I wanted the best for you. I would've never hurt you. Ever. But you let him get to your head, and you fucking allowed him to get between us. Why? Huh?" he shoves her again, harder this time. The gun digs into her side. "Why, Shea?"

"Winter, please..." she sobs. Her head is spinning. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen." Her eyes dart around the room, desperately searching for anything, anyone who can help her. But there's no one. Just her and Winter. And the gun. And the fear.

"I've been trying not to be angry, especially at you, but I just can't stand to see you prance around all fucking happy like you deserve it, like he fucking deserves you! He doesn't deserve you!" His grip loosens, and she takes a shaky breath, the gun digging deeper into her side. "So tell me where the fuck he is, Shea."

"I told you I don't know where he went. Winter, this has to stop. He's a good man. Okay? He makes me happy and I love him ..." Her voice trails off as she wipes away another tear. "Just let me go, please."

"You love him?" Winter laughs, shaking his head. "Would you die for him too?" he asks, pressing the gun harder into her side.

"What?"

He suddenly grabbed her by the throat and slammed her down against the bed, pressing the barrel of the gun at her forehead. his weight held her down, his grip bruising her skin. "PLEASE STOP!" her cries out, struggling to breathe.

"Where the hell is your boyfriend now? Huh? Can he save you now?" he screams, his face contorted with anger and pain. "You want to know why I'm doing this? It's because of you, Shea. It's all because of you." he growls, his voice hoarse.

"You don't have to! Please!" she gasps, tears streaming down her face. She tries to squirm away, but he has her pinned. She can feel the cold metal of the gun digging into her skin. "I'm sorry," she whispers, "I'm so sorry."

"I said it's over. Didn't I?" He cocks back the gun, "and I meant it. What the fuck were you hoping to accomplish when you left me, huh? Did you think it'd be this easy to just move on?" His grip on her throat tightens, and she feels like she can't breathe anymore. "Well, guess what? It's not."

"I can't ... please." she gasps, tears streaming down her face. She begs him silently, but it's no use. He's too far gone. He presses the gun harder against her forehead, his finger on the trigger. "Please, don't do this," she whispers, her voice shaking. "Winter, please."

"Why not? Give a good fucking reason!" he shouts, his face twisted with rage. "Give me one!"

As if on cue, Roman begins to cry. She can hear him in the other room, his cries echoing off the walls. Winter's grip on her slackens for a moment, his eyes narrowing. "Is that your fucking son, huh? The baby you had with him after what ... a few months of knowing him?" he hisses, spittle flying from his lips.

"I have to get him..." Shea tries to push herself up, but Winter slams her back down again.

He presses the gun against her temple, pulling the trigger -- a small click is the only sound that fills the room. "Empty," he growls. "Just like your fucking promises." His voice is a low, dangerous whisper as he leans down, his breath hot on her ear.

Shea's eyes widen and she feels like all the air has been sucked out of the room. "Please, Winter," she whispers, "don't do this. He's just a baby." Her voice cracks and she starts to cry again. "Please."

"Just a baby, huh?" he repeats, his voice laced with venom. "Well, then maybe you should've thought about that before you went and fucked around on me." He pushes her off the bed roughly, sending her sprawling to the floor. She cries out in pain, her head spinning. "Go get him," he says, his voice hard. "And bring him here."

"No..." she whimpers, crawling across the floor. She tries to stand up, but her legs are shaking and she can't seem to find her strength. "Please, Winter," she begs, her voice breaking. "Don't make me do this." She crawls toward the door, her heart pounding in her chest. "I'll do anything else."

"Bring the baby." He repeats, his voice cold and unyielding. "Or I swear to God, Shea, I will find him myself and I will end this once and for all." His words are like a knife to her heart, and she knows there's no choice.

He follows her into the nursery where Roman is standing up by his crib, crying and reaching for her. Shea looks back over her shoulder at Winter, his face twisted with anger and pain.

"Pick him up." He says, his voice like gravel. "Bring him here. Right now." She shakes her head, tears streaming down her face. "Do it," he growls.

Shea whimpers, slowly reaching to lift her son from his crib. His tiny body feels so light in her arms as she carries him back toward the bedroom. When they reach the doorway, she looks back at Roman again, her heart aching. "Please, Winter," she whispers, her voice barely audible, "please don't do this."

"Shut the fuck up! Just shut the fuck up!" He's agitated now, his finger digging harder into her arm. He pushes her forward, forcing her to step fully into the room. She stumbles, nearly falling, and Winter catches her roughly by the shoulders. His grip is like iron, bruising her skin.

Roman is confused, having never seen this stranger before. He reaches for his mommy, but she's unable to move, trapped between Winter's rage and her own fear. "Please, please," she whispers, her voice hoarse from crying.

"Give him to me." Winter demands, his voice low and threatening. He releases his grip on her shoulders, shoving her roughly again. She falls to the floor, her head spinning. Her arms ache from holding Roman tightly, but she's terrified to let him go. Tears stream down her face as she looks up at Winter, pleading with him through her tears. "Please, Winter," she whispers, her voice barely audible. "Don't..."

"Give. Him. To. Me." He says each word slowly, enunciating each syllable carefully. His eyes are wild, his breathing labored. She looks from his face to Roman's, and then back to him again. The gun is still in his hand, pointed at the floor, but she knows it won't be long before he points it at her or worse, at her son. She takes a deep breath, steeling herself for what she knows she has to do.

She hands Roman over to him, her arms shaking as she releases her precious boy into the hands of a stranger. "Please," she whispers.

"Back up against the wall." He says, his voice steadying. She does as he says, pressing herself against the cool, hard surface. Her eyes are glued to Roman, refusing to look away even for a second. She can feel tears streaming down her face as she watches Winter cradle their child in his arms. "What's his name?" he asks, his voice almost gentle.

"... Roman." Her voice breaks on his name. She watches as Winter rocks their her gently, his eyes closed, a small, sad smile on his lips. She wipes away more tears, afraid to move, afraid to breathe.

"Can I get him back?" she whispers. She knows she should have asked that before, but it didn't feel real until now. Until she'd given him up, and seen him in Winter's arms. She couldn't bear the thought of never holding him again. "Please, Winter," she begs, her voice breaking. "Please let me have him back."

Instead, Winter opens the balcony door, and steps out onto the ledge. The wind whips his hair around as he holds Roman out over the railing, his face twisted in anger and grief. Shea lets out a choked sob, her heart racing as she watches him threaten to throw their child off the building. "Winter, please," she begs, "don't do this. Please, think of what you're doing."

"I've been thinking for two years, Shea. You don't know what it's like to suffer, do you? To struggle? To feel so alone, like the world is against you?" He asks, his voice hard and bitter. "Well, now you know." He pauses, looking down at Roman, who is beginning to cry. "Fear. Real fear. It changes you." His voice cracks as he speaks, and he takes a deep breath, trying to steady himself.

Shea sniffles, wiping away more tears. "Winter, you don't have to do this ... I'm sorry."

Winter outstretches his arm, holding Roman over the edge even farther. "It's not about you, Shea," he growls. "It's about me, and what I need to do to feel better. To find peace." His voice trails off, and for a moment, it seems like he's lost in thought. "Your boyfriend? He has felt real fear. I can see it in him." He glances at her, his expression unreadable. "He's afraid of losing you, Shea. And maybe, just maybe, he'll finally understand what that feels like now."

"No ... please give me my baby back." She whispers, her voice trembling. She takes a tentative step forward, reaching out for him, but stops when she sees the gun still in his hand. She backs away again, tears streaming down her face.

Winter glances at the crying and frightened baby in his arms, then back at Shea. His expression softens, and he takes a deep breath, roughly tossing the baby to Shea's feet. The movement is so sudden that Roman lets out a startled cry. "You're lucky," he says, his voice cold. "You get a second chance." He turns away from them, slamming the door behind him.

Shea breaks down crying as she lifts Roman up, and he's screaming and thrashing in her arms. "Shhh," she whispers, rocking him gently. "It's okay, baby. Mommy's here. We're safe now." She holds him close, breathing in his familiar scent as she tries to calm them both down. "I'm sorry, Roman," she whispers. "I'm so sorry."

🩵

Chris runs into the hospital, searching behind the curtains before he finds Shea laying in one of the beds with Roman. Her face is pale and she looks exhausted, but when she sees him she tries to smile. "Chris," she whispers. "I'm so glad you're here." She reaches out a shaking hand for him.

"What the fuck happened? Whats wrong with him?" Chris asks, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He looks between Shea and Roman, feeling a mix of fear, anger and confusion. He wants to comfort them both, but doesn't know how.

"It's just a cut ... he'll be okay." Shea says, her voice barely audible. She wipes away another tear. "It's not that. It's just... everything." She pauses, taking a deep breath. "Winter held me at gunpoint, and I had to give him the baby. He threatened to kill us if I didn't. I thought he was going to do it. I thought we were going to die." She breaks down sobbing again, her body wracked with grief and terror.

Chris is stunned into silence. He wants to tell her it's going to be okay, but he doesn't know if it will be. He reaches over and gently holds her hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'm so sorry, Shea." He wraps his arm around her - and he knows that the only reason Winter retaliated this way, is because of what he did - hiring people to jump him as a "message" to stay away from Shea. He can't help but feel partially responsible.

"Fuck ... I'm so fucking sorry." He whispers, tears streaming down his face. He leans in, kissing her forehead, then her lips, desperate for any kind of comfort or reassurance. But he knows that for now, they're both just shattered.

He can't imagine the fear she must've felt - the fear his little baby boy must've felt. It makes him want to break things, to lash out at someone.

But all he can do is hold them both and try to offer what little comfort he can. He wipes his own tears away, then looks down at Roman, who is still cooing softly in Shea's arms.

Shea feels like giving up, but she can't find the heart to say that to him, so she stays quiet, letting him hold her and kiss her. She's grateful for his presence, for his strength. And she knows that she needs to be strong too, for them both. She forces herself to take a deep breath, wiping her tears away. "What do we do now?" she whispers.

"We go home." Chris says, his voice unsteady. He knows they can't stay here, not after this. He helps Shea sit up, then carefully lifts Roman into her arms. Looking around, he sees one of the nurses watching them, concern etched on her face. "It's okay," he assures her, "We're just leaving." He nods his thanks as they exit the hospital and make their way back to their car. Once they're in the car, Chris starts the engine, then turns to look at them both. "I'm so sorry this happened," he says again, his voice barely audible over the engine. "I'll do whatever I can to make it right."

Shea knows he means it. She glances back at Roman in his car seat, feeling a wave of protectiveness wash over her. "Okay." She says, finally finding her voice. She takes a deep breath, trying to steady her shaking hands. "Thank you, Chris."

🩵

It's hard to get back to their home with Roman in the car seat, but they manage. Chris carries Shea inside and helps her up to the bed. He goes to make her some tea, while Shea lays down with Roman, cradling him in her arms. They both need some rest, to gather their thoughts and figure out what to do next.

Shea's heart aches for Winter, knowing that he's hurting too. But she also can't help but feel angry at him for putting them both through this. She wishes she could understand why he did what he did. She closes her eyes, trying to shut out the world for a little while, focusing on the rhythm of Roman's breathing.

Chris brings her the tea and sits down on the bed next to her, watching her silently. He's not sure what to say or do, but he knows he needs to be there for them both. After a while, he leans over, kissing the top of Roman's head before moving to kiss Shea's cheek.

"I love you both so much," he whispers, feeling the weight of their situation pressing down on him. "I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

"I know you will." She whispers, her eyes still closed. She takes a sip of the tea, feeling its warmth spread through her. After a while, she looks up at Chris, her expression uncertain. "Do you think we should call the police?"

"I don't know ... this is my fault. I provoked him, so now I have to deal with it." Chris says, rubbing his face. "But I don't want anything to happen to you or Roman, so I guess we should consider it." He looks down at his hands, feeling helpless. "I just wish there was another way."

"Chris..." she begins, but he cuts her off.

"Our child, Shea. He hurt our son. If we let him get away with that, then what kind of world are we leaving for him? We have to do something."

Shea looks at Chris, feeling tears welling up in her eyes again. She knows he's right, but it's still so hard to think about. "Remember when I told you I wanted to go to New York?" she asks, changing the subject.

Chris nods, looking confused. "Yeah, you mentioned it before."

"Well, I still want to go. I think it'd be good for me. And for Roman to go ... and you can come too, if you want." She says, her voice soft but determined.

He doesn't know what's worse. Letting her go far from him while Winter is out there - or keeping her here while Winter is out there.

But he has to say something. "You take him and go. Just until things calm down." He tells her. He can't quite meet her eyes. "I'll stay here, and make sure everything is okay."

Shea looks at him, tears streaming down her face. She reaches out, taking his hand in hers. "Thank you, Chris. I love you."

"I love you too." He whispers, feeling helpless. He wipes her tears away with his thumb. "I'll make sure everything is okay. I promise."

She nods, sniffling. "Okay. Okay. Let's make some plans." She takes a deep breath, trying to steady her emotions. "We'll go tomorrow. We can get an early start."

🧿

As Shea enters the cosmetic headquarters, she goes straight into her office, where she hears a familiar voice. "It's been awhile." Jasmine smirks.

Shea closes the door behind her. "What the fuck are you doing here?" she hisses, her heart racing.

Jasmine shrugs. "I heard you were going to be here. Thought I'd pay you a visit." She crosses her arms, watching Shea carefully. "How have things been with ... baby daddy, since you guys broke up all bedause of little 'ole me?" she asks with a sneer.

"Leave it alone, Jasmine." Shea says through gritted teeth. "You don't know what you're talking about."

Jasmine laughs. "Oh, I know enough." She takes a step closer, leaning against Shea's desk. "I saw you out there, with Chris. I've seen the way he looks at you. I've seen the way you look at him." She pauses, tilting her head. "And I'm just wondering if maybe you made the right choice."

Shea feels a cold chill run down her spine. "What do you mean?" she asks, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I mean, do you really think you're forever gonna be his one and only woman?" Jasmine asks, her voice dripping with venom. "You think he's going to stick around once things get tough? Once the novelty wears off?"

Shea takes a step back, her hands trembling. "You don't know anything about me and him."

Jasmine laughs again. "I dated him for years."

"Yeah. Like a fucking whore, fucking two men at the same time. Glad to hear it." Shea spits.

Jasmine's eyes narrow. "You're a piece of work, aren't you?" She takes another step forward, crowding Shea. "But you know what? I'm not here to fight with you. I just want to give you a little advice."

Shea swallows hard, her heart pounding in her chest. "What's that?"

"Don't get too comfortable with him. It's not gonna last. It can't. and it won't." Jasmine smirks. "And when it ends, you'll be back here, all alone. Just like you were before."

"You don't even know him anymore." Shea says.

"I don't? What do you think he was doing those seven months when you guys were broken up? Or let me say, WHO do you think he was doing those past seven months?" Jasmine asks, her voice low and menacing. "I'm telling you, Shea. He's not, and never will be - only yours."

"Fuck off." Shea warns.

Jasmine shrugs. "You can believe that or not. It's your life. But don't say I didn't warn you." She turns away, sauntering out of the office. "Just remember what I said."

Shea watches her go, anger and fear warring within her. "Fucking bitch." she mutters under her breath. She takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

Shea plays with her engagement room, twirling it around her finger absently as she stares at her computer screen. The meeting with Jasmine still plays over and over in her mind, making her heart race and her skin crawl. She can't help but wonder if there's some truth to what she said. After all, she's known Chris for a long time, and she's seen the way he's always been with women. He's never been monogamous, and she can't help but wonder if he'll change for her.

Maybe Jasmine is just jealous. Or maybe she's trying to protect her. She doesn't know. All she can do is focus on her work and hope for the best.

Her thoughts are interrupted by a notification on her computer. She glances at it, surprised to see an email from an unfamiliar address. The subject line reads: 'From the Other Side'. She clicks on it, curiosity getting the better of her.

The message is short and to the point. "I hope you're doing well. I'm sorry for all the pain I've caused you. I just wanted to say that I've been thinking about us, and I want to try and make things right between us. But I know that's lot possible. I didn't mean to hurt your son. So, I'm gonna just end all the pain tonight."

Shea throws her head back, tears immediately building up as she realizes that she has another issue to deal with. "Shit." she whispers. "Shit, shit, shit."

🧿

"Winter?!" Shea calls out as she walks into his training gym. But he nowhere to be seen, at all. Just as he turns the hall, she pauses, seeing him sitting on the floor with his gun in hand, and he looks like he's been crying. His eyes are red and glossy - eyelashes are wet.

Shea freezes in her tracks, a lump forming in her throat. "What are you doing?" she whispers, taking a tentative step closer.

"I'm sorry," he whispers, not looking at her. "I'm so sorry." His hands are shaking as he holds the gun. "I just couldn't take it anymore."

"Winter, please don't do this," Shea pleads, dropping to her knees in front of him. She reaches out, trying to take the gun from him. "You can't end things like this."

He looks at her then, his eyes filled with pain and desperation. "It's too late, Shea. It's been done. There's no going back." His hands tighten on the gun. "I just want it all to be over."

"No," she whispers, tears streaming down her face. "Don't say that. You're strong. You can get through this. We can get through this." She cups his cheek, wiping away a tear that has fallen. "We can make it right, together."

Winter looks at her, his expression softening. "I love you, Shea. I always have. But I don't want to hurt you anymore."

"You won't," she promises. "I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. We'll figure it out. We'll make it work." She presses her forehead against his, their breath mingling together. "Please."

"You don't even love me anymore." His voice is barely above a whisper.

"I do," she insists. "I love you more than anything. You're my family. My world." She shakes her head, trying to banish the thoughts that have been nagging at her. "I just want you to be happy."

He looks at her for a long moment, his expression pained. And then, slowly, he lowers the gun. "Okay," he whispers. "Okay, I'll try."

She exhales shakily, relief flooding through her. "Thank you," she whispers, pulling him into a hug. "Thank you for listening." She holds him close, pressing a kiss to his forehead. "We'll figure this out together."

Together, they sit on the floor, their bodies pressed together as they try to make sense of it all. Because even though the danger has passed, the pain is far from over. But at least they have each other. And that's a start.

Although he can be unpredictable and even impulsive -- she still loves him, and she can't deny that he makes her feel things she's never felt before. "We can do this," she whispers. "I know we can." Her fingers trail up his arm, tracing the outline of his tattoo. "We just need some time."

for the first time ever, Winter notices her engagement ring. "you're marrying him?" he asks, his voice barely above a whisper. "you want to spend the rest of your life with him?" His eyes are filled with disbelief and a hint of jealousy.

"i ... yeah. it's just something that kind of happened, you know?" she says, her voice wavering. "but it doesn't mean i don't love you. i will always love you, Winter." She takes a shaky breath and looks into his eyes. "i just want you to be happy. even if it's not with me."

"you're seriously marrying him?" he asks again, his voice barely above a whisper. "why?"

"because ... people marry the people they love ...?" she says, her voice cracking. "i love you, but it's not the same. not anymore." She wipes away another tear that has fallen. "i just need this to stop, you know? the back and forth, and the fighting and the guns. just stop, please." her voice breaks on the last word.

"you think you're gonna be happy with him?" he asks, his voice laced with bitterness. "do you think he's gonna make you happy?" His eyes flicker to the gun in his hand, and he shakes his head slowly. "it's not gonna be like that."

"you don't know that. we never know things unless we try them out, right? you're the one who taught me not to be scared of taking risks." she says, reaching out to touch his hand.

"i was talking about your anxiety. not getting married." he snaps, pulling his hand away from hers. "it's not the same thing." His gaze drifts back to the gun, and he starts toying with it, twirling it around his finger. "i can't believe you're really doing this ... with someone like him."

"what does that even mean?" she asks, confused. "i don't understand. you're the one who always said we could make our own choices. that we should live life the way we want to. so why are you being like this now?" Her voice cracks, and tears start to stream down her cheeks again. "i don't get it."

"you know exactly why im being like this, Shea. you're gonna marry Chris Brown? do you even know what you're fucking doing?" he says, his voice rising.

"i do." she says, her voice barely audible over the music. "i love him, and i want to be with him. i know it's not the same, but it's how i feel. and i can't help that." She wipes away another tear, trying to compose herself. "i don't want to hurt you, but i can't do this anymore. not like this."

Winter just shakes his head. "do whatever the fuck you want. but if he hurts you? don't come crying to me." he stands up and walks away, disappearing further into the gym, leaving her alone with her conflicting emotions.

🧿

"we need to talk about something important -- it has to do with us getting married and all that." Chris says, sitting down next to her on the sofa with Roman babbling away about something in the other room.

She looks up at him, her heart racing. "i love you, and i trust you. you know that, right?" he continues, reaching over to take her hand. "but there's something you should know." His grip tightens on her hand. "i'm not sure how to say this, but i think we should just be honest with each other. you know?"

"what is it? just say it." she squeezes his hand, bracing herself for whatever it is he has to say. She's scared, but she trusts him. Or at least, she thinks she does. "you can tell me anything, you know that."

"i've worked hard -- a lot -- for all the things that i have today, and the place that i'm in right now..." He pauses, searching for the right words. "it's not all just because of my talent, you know? there's a lot of people out there who are just as talented, if not more so, than i am. but they don't have what i have." He looks down at their entwined hands. "i was thinking ... if you would be okay with a prenup." he says it quickly, like he's just getting the words out. "just to protect what's mine, and what's yours. and if something happens where we don't work out, trust me -- i'll still take care of you, and Roman. But i want to make sure that everything is clear."

Shea stares at him for a moment, her eyes wide with surprise. "a prenup?" she whispers.

"wait. before you say your answer, this doesn't mean that i think the marriage is gonna fail or anything -- i just, i want to make sure we're both protected, you know? and that everything is fair. between us." He looks into her eyes, searching for understanding. "what do you think?"

Shea smiles. "i mean...i guess...i never really thought about it. but...okay. i trust you. if that's what you think we need to do, then we can do it. whatever makes you feel more comfortable." She swallows hard, trying to keep her emotions in check. "i'll sign anything you want me to."

he smiles, grateful that she understands. "thank you, babe. i really appreciate that." he leans over, kissing her softly on the lips. "i love you so much, and i want this to work."

"me too." Shea whispers, returning the kiss with equal fervor. "i love you too."

he kisses her again, his hands sliding up her arms to cup her face. "i dunno, all of this is a little overwhelming." he admits. "i just want to be with you. always. and if being married to you means having to share a little of my wealth, then i can handle that. as long as i get to keep you in my life."

Shea chuckles. "do you really wanna do this? get married? i mean, you don't really seem like the marrying type - at least to the world."

"i've thought about it a lot," he confesses. "and the more i think about it, the more i realize that i want it. i want us. i want to be your husband, and i want to be there for you and Roman, through everything. to be the man that i've always wanted to be. and if that means marrying you, then i'm ready."

She grins, tears filling her eyes again. "i love you, Chris. i'm so glad we found each other again."

"me too, baby." He kisses her, wiping away her tears. "me too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.3K 1.2K 15
𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐝𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐧𝐭...
375K 13.4K 60
𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗦 OR 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire and charle...
1.2K 55 15
What if Melanie actually had Trey Wiggs baby?
1M 40.3K 93
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...