Best Friend

By its_sanjh

She was South Indian, coming from an Hindu family. An introvert, who had hard times connecting with people. S... More

Glimpse
2: Meeting The Qureshi's
3: Slight Spark Of Jealousy
4: The Strict Qureshi
5: Caring Soul
6: Crush V/s Love
7: Considered As Family
8: Messy Mehendi
9: Staying Back For Him
10: Trip To Manali
11: Odd One Out!
12: Back On The Journey
13: Friends, Are They?
14: Delusional Or Destruction?
15: Sight View
16: Moment Of Peace
17: Sweet-Gestures
18: The Interrogation

1: Much Awaited Meet

147 14 0
By its_sanjh

I was going to meet him! My heart was accelerating so wildly under my ribs. I shook my head as I glanced outside the door. Train was moving at a high speed, I was just a station away from my destination, a big smile was playing on my lips.

My cell rang, diverting my attention from my fantasies. Fantasies which were going to turn reality within few minutes. I was on the verge of reaching Meerut. I received the call.

"Hello!" I answered on glancing at the ID.

"Have you reached?" Concerned voice of dad asked from the other side.

It wasn't less than a miracle that my parents agreed for the trip. I was travelling from Kerala to Meerut, alone. It was my biggest journey so far!

"No, I will reach in few minutes." I passed a smile at the person sitting opposite to me. I had travelled for two days along with her. She seemed much of my mother's age, during our short conversation I got aware that she was visiting her sister.

I had removed my suitcases and had prepared myself for the upcoming stop. I was very anxious as it was my first time travelling alone, dad was in frequent contact with me during the entire journey. It seemed like I was answering calls rather than enjoying my ride to Meerut.

"You're going to inform me the minute you reach the station."

"Don't worry, dad." I assured him, "Siddhi is waiting for me on the platform."

Siddhi Das, my best friend. She lived in Banaras, a few distances away from Meerut. Her train had reached an hour earlier but she was waiting for me on the station. Due to some issues, my train was an hour late of its schedule. I sighed as I glanced at the wrist watch, it was going to turn six. The sun was on the verge of going back home, allowing the moon to shine in the sky.

"Reach home before it gets dark." I could hear the worry hidden behind his voice. He was damn-protective when it came about me. He had never allowed for night-hang out with friends, not that I was interested in. I hardly connected with others. Siddhi was one of the rare individuals who had managed to grab my attention.

"I will," with that as a promise I hanged the call.

°°°

The train had slowed down indicating that my destination had arrived. I stood from the seat, dragging the suitcase along with me towards the door. By the time I reached towards the door, the platform was getting visible. Two more individuals were standing before me. And soon the train halted, they got out followed by me.

As I sat foot on the platform, my eyes roamed around the corner searching for a familiar figure as I put my hand in the pocket in search of my cell. "Hello!" I dialed, Siddhi. "I have reached, where..." before I could even complete my statement, I was pulled from behind, a gasp left from my throat in horror before soft arms were wrapped around my shoulder.

"Welcome to UP," Siddhi squeezed in excitement. "I can't believe you're standing in front of me." She giggled, making me laugh.

I break from the hug, glancing at her. Her black orbs were sparkling in excitement, a huge smile that always made her look cute was crafted on her face. As anticipated, she looked older than me due to her tall figure.

"How are you?" I wasn't able to form words.

It was our dream to meet! We had been friends from more than three years and all those years, we wished we could be staying in the same city. So, we could interact in person rather than in those video-calls or chatting.

"I am fine..." she brushed off her emerging tears. "I still can't believe, you're for real." Those tears were indicator of her happiness. If I was able to travel so far and convince my parents for the trip than it was due to her and Zoya.

"Neither can I," I muttered suppressing my giggles. "All those fantasies are going to turn reality." Just at that moment my phone rang, I sighed and received dad's call.

"I have just reached," I informed him calming his anxious heart. "I met Siddhi and soon we are going to Zoya's place."

"Good!" Mom's spoked from the other direction. "Take care and just call once you reach," she muttered before ending the call.

I smiled at Siddhi ending the call, "let's go."

We both were dragging our respective suitcase out of the railway station. "Did Zoya mention who is going to pick us up?" I inquired, getting nervous about the human, most likely to pick us up.

"Bhai said he would come but I am not sure," Siddhi shrugged her shoulder as we reach the exist.

Our eyes roamed at the numerous taxis and autos parked around. "Why don't we pick one?" Siddhi suggested, "Bhai seemed busy when I called him. I even told him that we would manage on our own, why to put extra pressure on him?"

As much as Siddhi's was sounding correct but I knew, Faizal. "Why don't we just call him?" I suggested, "he might be already here... and he won't like the idea of him not able to welcome us."

I had heard about all the things he was going to do when we would meet the first time. Though he was a very practical guy but with me, he acted delusional. I had imagined our meet various time and often I had narrated it to him. Sometimes he just praised my imagination skills while at times added his views.

I dialed his number on seeing that Siddhi had provided me with a nod.

"Why the hell was your phone busy?" I was greeted with his frustrated-annoyed voice.

"Busy?" I frowned, sounding confused. Had he mistaken me for someone else?

"I called you so many times and you have been constantly talking to someone. I even called Siddhi if she heard anything from you. She told me, you hadn't contacted her from an hour. And now, her cell is switched off. How on the earth am I supposed to know if you're fine or not!" He groaned at the end; I couldn't help the smile popping on my face.

"What is it?" Siddhi inquired getting curious.

"I have reached Meerut. We both are waiting for you outside the station." There was silence, surely, he was pissed off. "Faizal?" I called him up.

"Zain must have arrived; he will drop you home." He informed after minutes of silence.

"And what about you?" I was silently disappointed. I wanted to see him. Glance at the face, that smile, listen to that voice in person no longer behind those screens.

"I have come to pick some relatives; I will reach home before dinner." My heart further broke into pieces. Why was God testing my limits? Hadn't I suffered enough! I had waited for three years to meet him! And yet I was forced for few more hours.

"Okay," I wasn't able to sound cheerful as I hang the call.

"What is it?" Siddhi was staring at me with curious orbs.

"Your cell is switched off and Zain is coming to pick us up."

"Who is Zain?" Siddhi inquired, as my orbs were searching for him.

"Zain is Faizal's cousin, Faizal had to pick a relative so..." I shrugged my shoulder leaving it incomplete.

"Thank God, I have you by my side. You know half of his relatives so we have less trouble."

"I know them doesn't mean they know us." I shook my head at her, "and you need to stop calling him bhai. Don't forget we are attending the wedding as Zoya's friend not as Faizal. He is a stranger to us," I recollected our situation to Siddhi.

Siddhi, I and Faizal had met online more than three years back. We were following a same reality show and supporting the same contestant. That was our foundation of friendship, we had contacted with many but as the time passed only three of us remained in contact while others turned busy in their respective life's.

Though my parents were aware about Siddhi but I never musted up the courage to introduce Faizal to them. I was always scared about their reaction. How would they react about my friendship with him? As my feelings for him started growing, I became more anxious about their reaction. I was scared what if they judged him or misunderstood him? I didn't want them to have wrong impression about him.

During our three-years of friendship, Faizal had introduced me to most of his family-members. I was often awarded with clips of family-get-together. Their stupid conversations and candid-pictures. He had even introduced his sister to me.

Zoya Qureshi was the only person in the Qureshi Family who was aware about our friendship with Faizal. She was hell-stubborn that I attend her wedding. She was determined to make it happen and her constant plead to my parents had resulted in my trip to Uttar-Pradesh.

"Nivi!" I heard my name being called and I turned my head towards the direction. A very familiar guy in a black shirt and a white pant was walking towards us. His black orbs seemed uncertain, as his hands were waving at us. "Are you Nivi?" His orbs were locked on me as a phone was plastered on his ears. "I guess, I found her." Though there was uncertainty in his voice.

"Yeah, she has a companion as well." Zain seemed frustrated by the caller. "Can you just hang up so I could take them home?" He shook his head as he kept the phone in his pocket. He passed us a very friendly smile. "Hi, Zain... Zain Malik," he paused for a minute, "Zoya's cousin?" His orbs raising in question as if asking us if he wasn't wrong about us.

"Oh!" I passed him a smile in acknowledgment.

He sighed in relief, "sorry for being late. Traffic was the reason as well as Fufo," he rolled his orbs. "Let's go," he extended his hand to reach for our suitcases but we dragged it away from his reach.

"We can manage," Siddhi spoked.

"I know that," he pressed a wide smile. "But I had being specially instructed that you both be treated well." He shook his head dragging the suitcase with both of his hands.

"That wasn't needed," Siddhi spoked in my ears and I nodded in agreement but we both were introvert enough not to argue with a stranger.

Soon, we reached towards the red car parked in the corner. It seemed like we had companions on our destination. There was a lot of chores going inside the car as I peeped inside. Bunch of children were enjoying themselves, I attempted to recognize them.

Only one particular face felt familiar among them, she was so tiny sitting among her bunch of cousins, not understanding a word as she frowned while having her chocolate. A smile broke on my face seeing her.

"She is Aiza," Zain introduced pointing the girl I was staring at. "She is Zoya's sister's daughter."

"Oh! Bhaiya's..." Siddhi was going to create a bunder but I reached for her elbow stopping in her mid-sentence. "I mean, bhai... Zoya have a brother as well, right?" She was smart enough to cover it. "They are his children?" She sounded innocent while I had a small smile. "He might love children's a lot."

Surely, Faizal would have killed her if she had heard her saying it. "Yes!" Zain laughed, "he loves children a lot." And I knew the reason behind his laugh.

Faizal wasn't great with children. I had heard him complain about their visits. Couldn't blame him as well, I was seeing how difficult they were to handle. But he had soft corner for his niece. Bhanji, that what he called her while a proud smile playing on his lips.

"I am sorry for the destruction, but just manage it for now." Zain sounded guilty as he placed our suitcase on the carriage and opened a backside door for us. Ordering few of the kids to get on the passenger seat. "What had I told you all while I allowed you with me?" He was faking a glare at them while they were staring at him with a cute pout. "To behave! Is this a way to welcome our guest?" They kept quite for a minute as we got on the back-seat.

Aiza was the only one remaining on the backseat and Zain was on the verge of carrying her in front but I insisted him not to. "It will be fine," I assured him seeing the passenger seat was already pack with three kiddos.

He seemed unsure but didn't argue as he got on the driver seat and started driving the car. "Hey, won't you give that chocolate?" Siddhi attempted to start a conversation with her. She was staring at us with those wide-almond shaped eyes. She was scared as her face was slightly on the verge of ending into tears. She would hardly be a year-old.

"Siddhi," I warned her as I saw her trying to reach for the chocolate. Zain was busy having some conversation with others. "Would you like to have candies?" I inquired removing one from my pursue.

Her orbs sparkled in excitement and Siddhi giggled at her action. "She is so adorable," Siddhi smiled at her.

"She is the cutest," I muttered as my cell ranged. I picked the call, it was Faizal. "Hello," I tired to sound low so it couldn't get in Zain's ear.

"Hello! Can you hear me?" He shouted from the other hand. "Have you met, Zain?" He was sounding frustrated, "he isn't picking my calls. I swear to God, you all have tested my patience enough for a day."

"Aww..." I heard him grunt with my response. "I got him and we are on our way. Stop stressing yourself up," I smiled as Siddhi was glancing at me with curiosity.

"Why Zain isn't receiving my calls?" He wasn't in a mood to slide his anger down.

"The cell is with kids," I informed.

"Had he lost his mind," he groaned. "He had taken them along with him. I had told him..."

"Calm down, Mr. Angry Bird." Siddhi giggled beside me but I ignored her. "I met Aiza, she is damn cute unlike her Mamu." As if Mamu grabbed her attention, Aiza raised her head at me. "Seems like Aiza is missing her Mamu."

He didn't respond and I shook my head, "stop being mad." I muttered, staring out of the window. It really upset me, his soar mood.

"I am not mad, just tell Zain to reach home." He groaned and I knew what that desperation meant, as much as he wanted to hide from me. I could reason-out his anger, his frustration. He wanted to meet me as much as I was dying to meet him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 484 39
What if your internet crush becomes your present? This is a story of a girl named Ahana who is jovial and carefree. She is like a boy named Aryan. He...
45.8K 3.9K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...
5.3K 313 37
"I can consider your request," he finally replied, causing her face to light up with hope. The weight of her desperation seemed to lift momentarily...
2.8M 158K 120
This story is about a relationships between a father and daughter. A wife and husband. And 2 best friend. "G-g-go" I stuttered moving back a little...