A Wallflower's Efflorescence

Bởi enaganda

A Sequel to "A Wallflower's Bloom" As Penelope and Thomas settle into their roles as husband and wife, they f... Xem Thêm

Prologue
CHAPTER 2 - A Couple's Trip to Town
CHAPTER 3 - The Duchess' Guests
CHAPTER 4 - The Ladies of the North

CHAPTER 1 - A Newlywed's Solitude

401 15 0
Bởi enaganda

It had been three months since the grandeur of their wedding day had faded into cherished memories, and now Alnwick Castle stood as a silent witness to the quiet and intimate moments shared between Duke Thomas Debling and his new Duchess, Penelope Debling (nee Featherington).

The corridors of Alnwick Castle echoed with the hushed footsteps of Thomas Debling as he made his way through the grand estate. The weight of his responsibilities as master of the castle and husband to Penelope bore heavily upon him, mingling with the anticipation of seeing his beloved wife once more.

Upon his return from a brief excursion, Thomas was met by their venerable butler, Jefferson, whose steady presence and unerring loyalty had served the Debling family for generations. Jefferson greeted Thomas with a respectful bow, his demeanor as impeccable as ever.

"Welcome home, your Grace. I trust your journey was pleasant?" Jefferson greeted with a respectful nod, his voice a steady cadence that echoed through the empty corridors.

"Thank you Jefferson. Indeed it was." Thomas replied, his tone tinged with a hint of weariness as he glanced around the cavernous space. "Is the Duchess about? I've been longing to see her."

Jefferson's expression softened with concern as he regarded his master. "I am afraid the Duchess has not joined us for her afternoon meal, your Grace. She has been in the library since this morning."

Thomas' brow furrowed in concern at the butler's words. Penelope had always possessed a keen intellect and a voracious appetite for knowledge, but the intensity of her seclusion gave him pause. He knew Penelope had always been an avid reader, but to spend the entire day in the library without taking a break for sustenance was unlike her.

"Thank you, Jefferson. I will go to her." The duke said, his voice tinged with a mixture of determination and apprehension as he made his way towards the library.

As he approached the heavy oak door, Thomas' heart quickened with anticipation, his thoughts filled with visions of his beloved Penelope. With a deep breath, he pushed open the doors and stepped into the dimly lit room, his eyes scanning the shelves of books that lined the walls.

There, seated at a polished mahogany desk, sat Penelope, her delicate features illuminated by the soft glow of candlelight as she poured over a tome with furrowed brow. Her ginger curls cascaded in loose waves around her shoulders, framing her face like a halo of light.

"Penelope, my love." Thomas called softly, his voice a gentle caress that broke the silence of the room. He greeted her with a tender smile, crossing the room to stand beside her. "I trust you are well?"

Startled, the redhead looked up from her reading, her eyes widening in surprise at the sight of her husband. "Thomas." She replied, a faint blush coloring her cheeks as she rose from her seat to greet him. "You're home." She kissed him on the lips as she held his face with her hands.

"I am well, thank you. Just lost in thought." Penelope added, her expression momentarily guarded before softening at the sight of her good looking husband.

Thomas' brow furrowed at the hint of hesitation in her voice, his concern deepening. "Is something the matter, my love? I was told you had skipped your afternoon meal. Jefferson is worried, as I am." He inquired gently, reaching out to brush a lock of her hair from her forehead.

Penelope hesitated for a moment, taking a seat at the settee which the duke followed to do so, her gaze dropping to her lap before she spoke. "I.. I erm.. I bled this morning." She confesses, her voice barely above a whisper.

Thomas' concern deepened at her words, his heart quickening with worry. "You bled? Are you injured? Wounded somewhere?" He asked, his mind racing with possibilities. He grabs his wife's hand, and begins to inspect the duchess from head to toe, looking for any sign of bruise or wound she might have suffered.

Penelope shook her head, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment and disappointment, "No, nothing like that Thomas." She replied softly, with a hint of sadness in her voice. "It was.. It was my.. My curses."

The duke's confusion was evident as he tried to make sense of her words. "Your curses?" He echoed, puzzled. "I am afraid I do not understand, my wife. Are you unwell?"

Penelope took a deep breath, steeling herself to explain. "No, Thomas, I am not unwell." Her voice remains tinged with sadness. "It was.. It was my monthly bleeding. It came this morning."

A wave of realization washed over Thomas as he understood her meaning, his heart sinking with sympathy to his wife. "Oh, Penelope.." He murmured, his voice filled with compassion as he reached out to take her hand in his lips. "I am sorry, my love. I did not realize.."

Penelope forced a brave smile, though tears glistened in her eyes. "It's all right, my love." She assured him, her voice trembling slightly. "I know it takes time.. But I could not help but feel... disheartened."

Thomas' heart ached at the sight of her sadness, his own frustration mirrored in her eyes. He pulls Penelope into his embrace, holding her close as he reassures her in the solace of his arms.

"Penelope, my love." Thomas began, his voice soft but resolute. "I want you to know that it is alright if we have not conceived yet. We've only been married a few months, and we have plenty of time ahead of us. We're still young, and there's no rush to fulfill our duty to the crown."

Penelope's eyes brimmed with emotion as she listened to Thomas' words, feeling a deep sense of gratitude for his understanding and support.

"But.." The duke continued, "Even if we were never able to have a child of our own, it would not change how much I love you or how happy you make me. Titles and heirs are important, yes, but what truly matters is that we love each other and are happy together." Thomas looks directly at Penelope's crystal blue eyes as he utters his words.

Penelope nodded, her heart swelling with love for her husband. The redhead duchess could feel the sincerity of her husband's words as she stared back at his ocean blue eyes. "Thank you, Thomas." She said softly. "But I still want to be a mother, and I want to give you an heir for your titles. Can you promise me that we'll keep trying?"

Thomas' lips curved into a tender smile as he leaned in to press a gentle kiss to Penelope's forehead. "Of course, my love." He whispered. "I promise we'll keep trying, for as long as it takes. But no matter what happens, I will always be by your side, loving you with all my heart." He plants a sensual kiss to his wife's lips, which Penelope returns with fervor.

After Thomas had finally addressed the thoughts that had been bothering his wife, he asked her to join him at the dining hall for a meal. As he was told by their butler that Penelope had not had her afternoon meal yet, he would not let the day pass without her filling in some sustenance.

As they settled into the opulent dining hall, the Duke and Duchess were attended to with impeccable grace by Jefferson, and Mary, the housekeeper. The flickering candlelight cast a soft glow over the polished silverware and fine china, lending an air of intimacy to the grandeur of the room.

"Penelope, my love." Thomas began, his voice carrying a tone of thoughtful consideration. "I was thinking it might be pleasant for us to have some company here at Alnwick for the off-season. Is there anyone you would like to invite?"

The redhead duchess pondered for a moment, her brow furrowing in concentration. "Unfortunately, mama and prudence are in Cornwall." She replied, a hint of disappointment in her voice as her remaining immediate family members will not be available. They might not be the brightest of the people she knew, but it would help her to have some familial relations at bay, while she tries to steady her stand as the new lady of the duchy.

"But perhaps I could extend an invitation to Eloise Bridgerton. She's always been such a dear friend, and her mother Violet, might enjoy a change of scenery as well." Penelope knew that after the social season, the whole lot of Bridgertons would just spend their months at Aubrey Hall. Knowing Eloise, who would like to know more of the world if she gets the chance, would probably like the idea of spending some time away from Kent to learn more about new cultures here in Northumberland.

Thomas nodded in agreement, pleased with the suggestion. "A splendid idea, my love. I am sure the Bridgertons would be delighted to join us here at Alnwick. I'll leave it to your care in sending them a missive for the invitation." The golden haired duke can only offer a warm smile as he imagines how lively it would become, on the upcoming days once they have guests at their estate. He knew how imperative it is for his wife to feel comfortable and settled as the new lady of the house. As much as he wants to call on his mother to help Penelope integrate to her role as the Duchess, Jocasta is heavily occupied in London in accompanying Her Majesty Queen Charlotte in all her endeavors. An oblation the former duchess made in return for the newlyweds' early retreat at the north.

As they began to enjoy their meal, Penelope turned the conversation towards her husband's day, eager to hear about his activities.

"And how was your day, my love?" She asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

Thomas sighed wearily, running a hand through his hair. "It was rather busy, I'm afraid." He admitted. "I spent most of the day outside while handling paperwork for the mines I'm funding to develop. There are a number of noble gentlemen who are interested in investing, but I find myself somewhat undecided about whom to choose."

Penelope's brow furrowed in concern as she listened to her husband's troubles. "Perhaps I could be of assistance." She suggested, her mind already racing with ideas. "I could host a gathering for the ladies of the nobility. It would give me the opportunity to gather information from their wives and provide you with some insights into their characters and reputations. Discreetly, of course. I am sure I can learn their preferences and allegiances, helping you make a more informed decision."

A smile tugged at the corners of Thomas' lips as he squeezed Penelope's hand affectionately. "You are truly a gem, my wife." He murmured, gratitude shining in his gaze. "That's a brilliant idea, Penelope. You never cease to amaze me with your intelligence and resourcefulness." He said warmly. "With you, I have no doubt you will navigate these matters with grace and wisdom." Thomas says proudly.

The redhead duchess smiled at her husband's praise, feeling a swell of pride in her heart. She knows that together, they make a formidable team, and she was grateful for the opportunity to support him in any way she could.

As the evening wore on and the warmth of the dining hall faded into the coziness of the sitting room, Thomas Debling settled into a plush armchair with a leather-bound tome in hand. The crackling fire cast dancing shadows across the room, bathing everything in a soft, golden glow.

Across from him, Penelope busied herself with her own task, summoning a servant with a polite request for paper, quill and ink. With a flourish, the necessary supplies were brought to her side, and she set to work with quiet determination.

Dipping the quill into the inkwell, Penelope's hand moved swiftly and gracefully across the parchment as she penned separate letters to Eloise and Violet. In each missive, she extended a warm invitation to join them at Alnwick Castle for the start of the off-season, promising a retreat of relaxation and companionship amidst the splendor of the estate.

Once satisfied with her words, Penelope carefully folded the letters and sealed them with a wax, imprinting each with the distinctive seal of the Debling family crest. With a sense of anticipation fluttering in her chest, she entrusted the letters to a servant, instructing them to deliver the invitations tomorrow without delay.

"Are you finished, my love?" Thomas asked, setting aside his book and rising from his seat to join Penelope at the desk.

Penelope nodded, her eyes bright with excitement. "Yes, Thomas." She replied. "The letters are ready to be sent. I do hope both Eloise and Violet will be able to join us."

"I am sure they will be delighted by your invitation." Thomas said, placing a gentle kiss on his wife's forehead. "Thank you for taking the time to arrange this." He knew that suggesting to invite her friends to stay at Alnwick Castle was the right decision, for it brought joy to his beloved Penelope.

The duchess smiled up at her husband, her heart overflowing with love for the thoughtful and caring man before her. "I'm just happy to have the opportunity to spend time with my friends and you here at our home." Penelope gave her husband a hug as she allowed herself to relax at the comfortable embrace of his manly figure. She feels contented with the knowledge that their home would soon be filled with the laughter and camaraderie of dear friends.

As the evening stretched on, enveloping them in its gentle embrace, Penelope Debling could not help but feel a sense of gratitude for the simple joys of married life, and the promise of adventures yet to come.

At the Bridgerton House

As the letters from Alnwick Castle arrived at the Bridgerton House in London, they were promptly delivered to the family drawing room, where the siblings had gathered for their usual afternoon tea. Humboldt, the esteemed family butler, presented the letters with his customary air of impeccable professionalism.

Eloise's heart skipped a beat as she recognized Penelope's distinctive handwriting on the envelope addressed to her. With eager fingers, she broke the seal and quickly scanned the contents of the letter, her face breaking into a delighted smile as she absorbed the invitation to Northumberland.

"Oh, my goodness!" She exclaimed, unable to contain her excitement and her eyes sparkling with joy. "Penelope has invited me to stay at Northumberland for the off-season!"

Her announcement elicited curious glances from her siblings, who leaned in to catch a glimpse of the letter. Violet Bridgerton, sitting gracefully in her favorite armchair, raised an eyebrow in interest as Eloise gleefully passed on the letter to her siblings.

Receiving a missive of her own from the same redhead, Violet's eyes scanned the contents of her letter, her lips curling into a pleased smile. "Well, it seems I have received a similar invitation from Penelope." She remarked, her tone tinged with amusement. "It appears we are both wanted and welcome at the Northumberland duchy."

Eloise's heart swelled with excitement at the prospect of spending time with her best friend and her family at their estate. Turning to her mother, she could not help but ask the question burning in her mind. "Mama, do you think we could accept Pen's invitation? It would be a wonderful opportunity to spend time together away from Aubrey Hall for a change."

Violet considered her second daughter's request for a moment before turning to her eldest son, the Viscount Anthony Bridgerton, who was seated nearby. "Anthony, darling." She began, her voice soft but firm. "Would you mind terribly if Eloise and I were to spend some time at Northumberland? I'm sure you and your siblings can manage without us for a while.

Anthony, ever the responsible eldest brother, offered his mother and sister a warm smile. "Of course, mother." He replied, his tone reassuring. "I would be happy to hold down the fort while you and Eloise enjoy your time with Penelope. Kate and I will ensure that the household runs smoothly in your absence. Please pass on my regards to Pen and her husband, the Duke."

As Gregory and Hyacinth, the youngest Bridgerton siblings, listened to the conversation about the invitation to Northumberland, their faces lit up with excitement. Hyacinth's eyes sparkled with anticipation, while Gregory's eager expression mirrored his sister's enthusiasm.

But as the realization sank in that they will not be able to join their mother and sister on the trip, their excitement turned to disappointment.

"Why can't we go, mama?" Hyacinth piped up, her eyes wide with longing. "Greg and I would love to visit Pen and her husband. I miss her terribly so."

Gregory nodded enthusiastically, echoing his sister's sentiments. He harbors a crush on the redhead which all his family is aware of. "Yes, mother. Please let us go too, we promise to behave ourselves."

Violet's heart softened at the earnestness in her youngest children's voices, but she knew it was not practical to bring them along on such a long journey.

"My darlings." She began gently. "I'm afraid Penelope knew that traveling to Alnwick Castle would be quite far for you both, especially without your older siblings to keep an eye on you."

"Besides, I'm sure your older brothers would feel a bit of gloom at Aubrey Hall without the two of you to brighten their days with your energy and laughter." She added with a smile.

Hyacinth and Gregory exchanged a disappointed glance, but they understood their mother's reasoning. With a resigned sigh, Gregory spoke up again. "I suppose you're right, mother." He conceded, though a hint of sadness still lingered in his voice.

Hyacinth, ever the spirited one, perked up at their mother's words. "But surely, there will be other opportunities for us to visit Pen at her castle." She suggested optimistically, her eyes shining with hope. "Perhaps once we're a bit older and taller?"

The Bridgerton matriarch smiled warmly at the two, touched by their eagerness to join in the adventure. "Yes, my dear. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for us to visit Penelope and her husband, Duke Debling." She replied, her voice filled with reassurance. "If it's not in Alnwick, then maybe at their residence here in London, once they come next season. For now, let's focus on enjoying our time together here in London before you lot go your way to Aubrey Hall, and Eloise and I embark to the North."

Hyacinth and Gregory nodded in agreement, their disappointment quickly replaced by excitement at the thought of future visits to Alnwick Castle at Northumberland. With their mother and sister off on their own adventure, they knew there would be plenty of excitement awaiting them in Kent as well. 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

204K 6.8K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
49.3K 2K 18
Elizabeth Windsor and Anthony Bridgerton despise each other with a passion, but a turn of events lands them to form an agreement. They would help one...
216K 6.3K 24
| | The only happiness that matters are my sisters and brothers...I don't care ab...
8.9K 356 11
"I can't believe she returned." Anthony whispered. "I must speak with her." Violet spoke as she brushed by her children and headed straight towards t...