Burning Promise I a fourth wi...

By violett4175

Sariah Eiran crosses the Parapet, gaining entrance to Basgiath War College's riders quadrent.She swore to her... More

Parapet
Across the Parapet
Day one at Basgiath
Classes
Everything and anything dragon
Challenge one
Grasping the Gauntlet
Setting sun
That fucking wall
Field of flames
Liaison
Everything's Alright
Noted: Flight leathers are not waterproof
Fuck No
I can't see, I'm blind - SZA
Caught off Guard
Snow isn't the only thing falling
Jealousy, Jealousy
After Moon-rise
21

Scary Signets

645 34 0
By violett4175

"It was the coolest thing ever," Ridoc continues. "One second he was sparring against that third-year, and then Sawyer-"

"You could let him tell the story." Rhiannons chides, rolling her eyes.

"No thank you," Sawyer counters, shaking his head, staring at his fork with a hefty dose of fear. I swear this is the most scared I've seen him. It's funny, considering getting stabbed by a fork isn't the worst thing that could happen to him.

Ridoc grins, in all his glory telling the story. "And then the sword just twists in Sawyer's hand, curving toward the third-year even though Sawyer was way off the mark." He grimaces in Sawyer's direction. "Sorry, man, but you were. If your sword hadn't decided to wrap and go straight for that guy's arm-"

"You're a metallurgist?" Quinn's eyebrows rise. "Really?"

Sawyer nods. "That's what Carr says. Aetos dragged me straight to the professor when he saw it happen."

"I'm so jealous!" Ridoc grabs his chest. "I want my signet to manifest!"

"You wouldn't be so excited if it meant you weren't sure if your fork would stab into the roof of your mouth because you can't control it yet." He shoves his tray away.

"Good point." Ridoc looks down at his own tray.

"Try not to think about it." I pat his shoulder as an attempt to comfort him, although I don't think it helps.

"You'll manifest when your dragon is ready to trust you with all that power," Quinn says, then finishes off her water. "Just hope your dragon will trust you before about six months and-" She makes an explosion and mimics it with her hands.

"Stop scaring the children," Imogen says. "That hasn't happened in" she pauses to think "decades."

"But it has happened." I state in horror.

She rolls her eyes at us. "Look, the relic your dragons transferred onto you at Threshing is the conduit to let all that magic into your body. If you don't manifest a signet and let it out, then after a bunch of months, bad things happen."

We all gawk.

"The magic consumes you," Quinn adds, making the explosion sound again.

"Yeah I think we got that the first time." I deadpan.

"Relax, it's not like a hard deadline or something. It's just average." Imogen shrugs.

"Fuck me, it's always something around here," Ridoc mutters.

"Feeling a little luckier now," Sawyer stares at his fork.

"We'll get you some wooden utensils," Violet tells Sawyer. "And you should probably avoid the armoury or sparring with... anything."

Sawyer scoffs. "That's the truth. At least I'll be safe during flight this afternoon."

"I like it better when we have it in the morning," Rhiannon says, her face souring. "It's way worse after we've eaten breakfast and lunch."

"Agreed," Violet grimaces.

"I like it better when I can actually fly." I stab at the turkey on my tray.

"I still can't believe you pulled that during the first lesson." Sawyer laughs.

"You'd think they'd let you back up by now. It's been what... three classes since then?" Imogen asks.

"Hopefully this is my last class sitting out because I don't think I can take it anymore." I shake my head.

"Finish the turkey," Imogen turns to Violet. "I'll see you tonight." She and Quinn clear their trays, taking them back to the window for scullery.

I follow Ridoc and we do the same then head out through the common and the rotunda into the courtyard. I shiver as a gust of cold wind hits me, moving quickly I button my coat up. November has been getting colder and colder, I'm sure the first snow isn't far off.

'I knew it would work!" Jack Barlowe says ahead of us, dragging someone under his arm and thumping her head affectionately.

"Isn't that Caroline Ashton?" Rhinnon asks from behind me.

"Yeah." Ridoc tenses. "She bonded Gleann this morning."

"Wasn't he already bonded?" She asks.

"His rider died on our first flight lesson." Violet responds.

"So I guess the unbonded still have the shot they're looking for." Rhiannon mutters.

"Yeah." Sawyer nods, his features tense. "They do."

...

"Thank the gods they let me fly again." I sigh out as we begin landing.

No, thank me. I told Smachd I'd give Kaori a little burn if he held you off any longer. Beliz scoffs.

Right. Thank you Beliz. I laugh. I slip off his back and down his foreleg.

"How kind of you to stay with us." Kaori steps beside me.

"Oh, anything for you professor." I joke, earning a scowl from him.

"You'll be joining our classes again from now on, and you're relieved from breakfast duty." He sighs. " I expect great things from you and Beliz, but please try to follow the rules. At least when I can see you."

"Yes professor, and sorry about...yeah." I say. 

He nods then walks off.

I turn to Beliz. "See you soon?"

Of course. He nods his head, then takes off after Tarin and the others. I make my way towards Ridoc and Sawyer.

"Hey you're still here!" Sawyer grins.

"Have to be, or they'd mysteriously have me fall down those gods forsaken stairs." I shudder. I really hate those stairs.

"For someone who loves flying like a lunatic you're really scared of some stairs." Ridoc laughs.

"I trust Beliz, but I do not trust those stairs. Or the people on it." I state.

We make our way into the courtyard chatting about random things.

"Make it stop!" someone screams, rushing down the steps of the rotunda, holding his head. It's a first-year from Third-wing, I recognize him from battle brief.

"For gods' sake, make it stop!" he shrikes, stumbling into the courtyard.

I take a step back as he tumbles to the centre.

"Jeremiah!" someone shouts, coming forward.

'You!" Jeremiah spins, pointing his finger at the third-year. "You think I've lost it!" he tilts his head, eyes flaring. "How does he know? He shouldn't know!" His tone shifts, like the words aren't his own. "And you!" he spins again, pointing to someone else. "What the hell is wrong with him? Why is he screaming?" He turns again, catching Dain's eyes. "Is Violet going to hate me forever? Why can't she see that I just want to keep her alive? How is he...? He's reading my thoughts!" He mimics Dain's voice so perfectly that it's fucking terrifying.

"Oh. That's going to be awkward." I grimace. Ridoc nods and stumbles backwards.

Jeremiah unsheathes his short sword. "Make it stop! Can't any of you see? The thoughts won't stop!" Panic is ringing through his voice as he begs for help. He spins on his heels. "And you!" he locks his gaze on Garrick. "Damn it all to hell. He'll know about-" Shadows crawl up Jeremiah's feet winding around his chest until they cover his mouth in bands of black. I look around and see Xanden standing behind Violet concentrating on Jeramiah.

A professor pushes through the crowd, his shock of white hair bouncing with every step of his large frame.

"He's an inntinnsic!" Someone shouts.

That's all it takes for the professor to storm over to Jeremiah, grab his head with both of his hands and snap his neck. The crack echoes through the courtyard.

I reach out to Beliz. "Please tell me I'm not an inntinnsic."

You are not like him. Beliz's voice echoes calmingly through my head.

I tilt my head up letting out a shaky breath. The professor bends down and lifts Jeremiah's body with ease, carrying him into the rotunda.

"Maybe I don't want a signet power after all," Ridoc murmurs.

"That death is merciful compared to what will happen if you don't manifest one," Dain says.

You will have your's soon. Be patient.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62K 2.2K 18
๐“๐ž๐š๐ ๐š๐ง ๐‘๐ข๐จ๐ซ๐ฌ๐จ๐ง has not had the easiest life -- none of the marked kids have. Just a few years ago Teagan's father, Fen Riorson, was exe...
3.8K 185 17
ยท ยท โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ยท ๐“†ฐโ™•๐“†ช ยท โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ ยท ยท The desire to be in the air or flying Or ...
4.9K 192 17
โ ๐š ๐๐ซ๐š๐ ๐จ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ข๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ฐ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐š ๐ญ๐ซ๐š๐ ๐ž๐๐ฒ, ๐š ๐ซ๐ข๐๐ž๐ซ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ข๐ซ ๐๐ซ๐š๐ ๐จ๐ง ๐ข๐ฌ ๐๐ž๐š๐. ๐ฐ๐ž...
11.8K 458 30
Meet Neviah Ravenbrook a 20 year old with a love of books and one of her current reads: Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros; wishes she could experience th...