Siren's Kiss

By justlenora

Originally written in 2020; newly edited in 2024. In the mermaid society of the Maji, human life is sacrifice... More

Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 1.3
Chapter 1.4
Chapter 1.5
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 2.3
Chapter 2.4
Chapter 2.5
Chapter 2.6
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 3.5
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 4.4
Chapter 4.5
Chapter 4.6
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 5.4
Chapter 5.5
Chapter 5.6
Chapter 5.7
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 6.3
Chapter 6.4
Chapter 6.5
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 7.4
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 8.4
Chapter 8.5
Chapter 8.6
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 9.4
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 10.4
Chapter 10.5

Chapter 6.6

2 0 0
By justlenora

The dining hall was set outside around one large pool where a long glass table floated surrounded by dozens of smaller glass squares we could sit on or lean against. The pool was flanked by two glass tables propped up in bright yellow sand where students would fill if the pool table was completely taken; it was most popular, as it gave us an opportunity to shed our legs for a moment and be reunited with our strong, familiar fins.

Today it was full, as most courses for the day had already ended. Immediately after a selection, professors were usually more relaxed with their curriculums as any remaining students had a year before the next test, but all of the students here seemed exhausted. There were even a few in the courtyards practicing their talents, more so than usual. Since the Queen was visiting the academy, everyone was most likely on their best and most show-offish behavior.

We chose the table to the right and the farthest away from sight, but that didn't stop everyone from immediately fixating on us when we came into sight. Not only were we the Chosen Five, but we had the ever-famous Venus, the increasingly infamous me and a human in our ranks. There was no escaping the unwanted attention. Thankfully the most anyone did was gawk at us and openly gossip while staring. At least they were gracious enough to keep their voices down. We moved over to the banquet table and piled food on our plates, today's specialty being grilled octopus dumplings on thin sticks with a deep brown sauce coating them. Back at the table, Martin said they reminded him of some dumplings his father brought him a long time ago at a ceremony when they met up.

"They're called takoyaki, I think he said. Said they are popular with the humans that resemble father and I the most," Martin said with one dumpling in each cheek. Even after complaining that they tasted better the way the humans made it, he went back for seconds. As delicious as they were, the best I could do was eat two before my stomach rebelled. Caroline seemed as uncomfortable as I did, but she was able to eat four before she hunched down and sipped quietly at the pink berry juice in my shell.

Before long, Kendral appeared by our side as more students began to flow into the dining hall. As the moon chased the sun out of the sky, all five of us quietly followed Kendral up to the Headmistresses' chambers. Once we got inside, we saw that Tyler was already there and laughing at something the Queen said. They turned to look at us and smiled wickedly, making Caroline visibly tense.

"There you are! It is impolite to keep your Queen waiting, Tyler and I have been so patient." She said. We all murmured our apologies and took our seats in the room, Martin the only one who braved sitting next to Tyler. "Tyler was just telling me that they ran into you while they were searching the beaches, Nia. And looking at your moonstone, I see it's true! You found your match!"

"Yes, congratulations, Nia." Tyler purred, eyeing Caroline. "It's amazing you've gotten so close to two humans in so little time! Unheard of, really."

Before I could respond, Headmistress stepped forward from the shadow she was standing in, startling everyone but the Queen and Tyler. "It is not your consort that you have matched with, Nia?" she asked.

I shook my head, trying to keep calm. I'd already shared my "experience" with the others, so the lie would hopefully sound honest. "No. I was walking along the beach and I heard some water thrashing out on the far side of the academy. It looked like one of those touring humans was trying to climb up the side of the castle towers, but they fell and started to drown. Then I saved them."

Tyler frowned. "I didn't hear any thrashing, and I was out on the beaches all day."

"I can't really help what you didn't hear, Tyler," I said, anger starting to rise again.

"We have a plan to go out tonight and search the boats at the dock, Your Highness," Venus chimed in quickly. "We figured that even if the thief of the Queen's Eye could not get off the island, they might still be hanging around the boats. Or at least have left what they stole on the boat."

"That is a splendid idea, Venus! Well done, all of you." The Queen exclaimed, smiling at each of us. "Tyler was just telling me of their idea to go search the village, but perhaps you should join them tonight in searching the boats instead. Tomorrow, you all shall head into the village."

"The village? Why would we search in the village?!" I said, sitting forward. I realized too late that my reaction was too strong. Both the Queen and the Headmistress were eyeing me coolly while Tyler looked at the ground, smiling triumphantly.

"From the way that human is dressed, I am assuming it is from that village, correct?" Headmistress said, moving around my question.

"I...well I mean, I'm not really sure,"

"You said you spent some time with it the day before the selection, right? That is why you knew its name?"

"Yes," I said shakily.

"Then where did it say it was from?"

"That...that never came up, Headmistress," Caroline snaked her hand into mind and scooched closer to me, probably trying to calm me when she sensed my panic. I mentally instructed her to let go and she did, but not quickly enough for no one to notice. The Queen's eyes slanted into a glare.

"Whether it is or isn't, I am sure utilizing the lowly mind of one of their own will help us find the thief." The Queen said, still glaring at Caroline. I could feel her battling with her fight or flight instinct, causing her body to tremble when she picked neither one. I mentally begged her not to move as I begged myself not to throw up.

"I'm not sure if she would help, Your Highness," Anna Maria said. "She doesn't seem to be able to speak, and all she does when Nia is not by her is sleep." Even as Anna Maria addressed her, the Queen did not look away from Caroline.

"You cannot get it to speak?" Headmistress asked, looking at me.

"No,"

"Have you been able to order it? Give it tasks that it will obey?"

"She...all she really does is follow me around." I stuttered. None of their questions were outright cruel or accusatory, but there was a hidden threat in them.

"This is a waste of time." In one swift moment, the Queen snapped her fingers and Caroline was suddenly snatched by the arm and pulled up off the couch and away from me. Her voice was only able to let out a small yelp, but through our connection I could feel her terror like a terrible scream slashing through the silence. I let out a cry and spun around grabbing for her arm, but Kendral slapped me away as the other guard pulled Caroline through the room. "Nia."

"Wait! Please, don't take her!" I screamed, fighting against Kendral who now had one muscular arm holding me back.

"Your Queen just called your name, Nia. You are dishonoring yourself with your disrespect." Headmistress said coldly. Venus got up on her knees on the bench we were sitting on and gathered me in her arms, pulling me down. I wanted to fight against her and start running for the door that they disappeared through, but I suddenly felt a sharp pain slice through my abdomen. I slouched down in a heap, moaning from the pain.

"Nia. You are wasting your gift and you are wasting precious time. You all have a duty to your people to find the Queen's Eye, and to find it now. I have had enough of this consort nonsense." The Queen said, cutting a glare towards the Headmistress who I could feel was staring at me. "Now get out of my sight."

With that, the Queen swept up from her seat and headed up the stairwell, followed by Kendral and the Headmistress. Apparently, we were excused. Not waiting for the rest of the group, I jumped up from Venus' grip and bolted out the door and through the hall. Nothing. I started running down the stairs as tears blurred my vision, desperately looking for her. I tried to sense her in my mind, but all I could feel was her rising panic. My mind became a blur; I could hear someone calling me faintly from behind, but I couldn't concentrate. Every direction I looked was empty, just vacant corridors with dancing shadows from the lit gas lamps.

I didn't realize I was on the ground until Venus' arms wrapped around me. She pulled my face up until my eyes focused on hers. "Nia, calm down. She is okay, alright?"

"How do you know?" I said, trying to snatch away from her. Venus held on tighter.

"Look, I don't know what's going on, none of us do. But they are pretty desperate to get the Queen's Eye before the full moon, and time is ticking. They wouldn't dare harm the first consort of the first Siren in generations, especially since they wouldn't know how it would affect you or the kiss."

"There's a dungeon around here somewhere, I just don't know where. They probably took her there," Martin said, crouching down next to us. "It might be safer for her to be there for now, anyway. What if one of us ended up bonding to her, I mean we wouldn't want that, right? She is adorable and sweet, I might end up getting a crush," Martin elbowed me in the side, trying to get me to laugh.

"I don't think Caroline is the one you're developing a crush on, Martin," Anna Maria plopped down on the stone next to us, winking at Martin. I tried not to make deliberate eye contact with Venus in response, but I could see her starting to turn pink in my peripheral. A smile started to creep on my face. "Anyway, we five are the only ones capable of interacting with humans in such a close manner right now. We're the only ones who can really find the Queen's Eye, and that's all they're focused on. I mean, look at how quickly they brushed off the fact that you made your bond. We find the Queen's Eye, return it to the Queen safely and we can get on with our lives."

"And the first step is going to check the boats. We need you, Nia." Venus said, pressing her forehead against mine. Martin and Anna Maria leaned in close as well and we all ended up in a tight group hug.

"Hate to interrupt, friends, but we really gotta move," Tyler's voice broke through our laughter and pierced a knife into my mood. They stood hovering over our huddle, cockily leaning on one foot while tapping the other. The intense blue of their eyes shined through the strands of blond hair falling over them, giving off a vibe both childish and predatory. I wanted to punch them.

We all slowly gathered ourselves off the ground and started heading for the exit behind Tyler. They keep peppering us with overly excited "Come on, guys!" and "Isn't this so exciting?" and other phrases that seemed completely disingenuous. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 313 25
It's been a while since the events that happen and buttercup and butch have never been better. Sadly though not everyone gets a happy ending so soon...
31.1K 2K 79
Just read the book to know. This book is inspired by the book Enigmatic queen by @SuccessSmile. I have made a lot of changes in the story as then I...
5K 1.8K 33
She could never fit in, her dark black hair and deep blue eyes made her stand out from the rest. The weird looks and surprised reactions from others...
91.4K 2.7K 21
Warning: 18+ ABO worldကို အခြေခံရေးသားထားပါသည်။ စိတ်ကူးယဉ် ficလေးမို့ အပြင်လောကနှင့် များစွာ ကွာခြားနိုင်ပါသည်။