A King and His Queen (Tifa x...

By Megoz7

It has been years since Y/n had last seen his childhood friends. Now as an adult, he returns to his homeland... More

Ch.1: Reunion
Ch.2: Errand Boys and Girl
Ch.3: The Jessie Job
Ch.4: Tunnels, Tunnels, and More Tunnels
Ch.5: Mako Reactor 5
Ch.6: The Flower Girl
Ch.7: Wall Market Pt.1
Ch.8: Wall Market Pt.2
Ch.9: Spooks and Sewers
Ch.10: All Comes Crashing
Ch.11: Survivors
Ch.12: Before the Rescue
Ch.13: Into the Building
Ch.14: Upper Crust
Ch.16: Destiny's Crossroads
Ch.17: New Horizons
Ch.18: The Calm Before...
Ch.19: ...The Storm
Ch.20: Together
Ch.21: Union (Nearly)
Ch.22: Headaches and Heartaches
Ch.22: Trial of Titan
Ch.23: Trial of Ramuh

Ch.15: The Lab

348 15 5
By Megoz7

After taking a minute to compose himself, Y/n joined the others outside the restroom; ready for the next part of their plan. "Are you okay, Y/n?" Tifa asked with concern, placing her hand on Y/n's arm. The prince looked down at the floor beneath his feet. He nodded and exhaled. "Yeah. I'll get over it." Y/n then turned to Cloud. "Let's get him." Cloud returned the nod.

As they exited exited the hall, they saw Hojo head towards the escalator. "Walking the halls of this very building." He said to himself as he paced around. "Who would have believed it. I wonder... were I to arrange a face to face..." Hojo chuckled. "How I should like to meet their offspring. Ah, but that can wait. First, we must have answers." Hojo used his keycard to open a new pathway. "A simple psychoactive agent should suffice. Nothing likely to cause any long term damage." Hojo laughed as he entered the newly opened path. "Let's go!" Instructed Cloud as the party rushed inside just in time for the door to close.

After passing through a hall filled with vats containing Mako, the team came across Hojo where Barret quickly aimed his gun at the professor. "Don't move!" Hojo groaned, but Barret smacked the gun against his back. "I ain't bluffing." "What is this?" "A dozen bullets in your head, unless you open that door right now." Hojo sighed and opened the door before them. Avalanche followed Hojo into a laboratory. "You must be the ones who've been stirring in trouble lately. The eco-terrorists?" Barret growled. "If so, I can't imagine what business you have with me. The president's upstairs. Go on, shoo." "Shut up. Keep walking." Barret pushed the professor. Many of the scientists looked on at the scene in fear. "None of y'all better move a muscle." Barret warned. "Do stop pushing." Said Hojo, brushing off his coat. "Unlike you, I am less accustomed to physical violence." "You'll get used to it." "What is it that you want?" "Our friend. She's in your lab." "Really?" "Tell us where Aerith is!" "Oh, so she's your friend. Well well well, in that case... yes... that might do the trick." Hojo began to think. "Mind speaking up some?" "It's nothing. Just imagining how she might react if I were to present to her your fresh corpses." Hojo flicked a switch, calling forth small bug like creatures. "I promise you will regret this." Hojo laughed as he clicked a few keys on a keyboard before fleeing.

A contain began to slide open, releasing a monster contained within.

The small bug monsters lept towards the team as the larger specimen roared. Yuffie quickly threw her shuriken and began to make hands signs to activate her ninjutsu, causing the shuriken to clone itself and spin around the room, slicing down the smaller bugs. The larger specimen began to spew a toxin from its claw, causing the team to roll away. Cloud tried to close in on the monster, but was caught in it's clutches. "Tifa! Yuffie! On me!" Y/n instructed as he conjured Ziedrich. Yuffie tossed Tifa her shuriken as she lept onto Ziedrich. Y/n launched Tifa towards the monster as Yuffie began to replicate her ninjutsu. In a puff of smoke, a dozen Tifas appeared around the monster, all throwing the shuriken towards the monster. The shuriken managed to cut the specimen, with one severing the claw clutching Cloud. "Take some of this!" Barret roared as he blasted an overcharge at the specimen just as Cloud rolled away.

The specimen roared and regrew it's arm, spewing more bug monsters from its chest. The Tifa cloned had disappeared and she returned the shuriken to an fatigued Yuffie. "Take a breather." Tifa instructed as she kicked a bug into the air and grabbed it, throwing it down towards the bigger monster. Cloud whipped his sword, killing two more as Barret blasted the last. The specimen suddenly lunged forward, swiping away at Y/n, Barret, and Tifa. Tifa was sent rolling across the ground while Y/n and Barret crashed into the walls of the laboratory. The specimen tried to uppercut Yuffie with its claw, but she was able to blackflip away. Cloud jumped in and clashed with the monster. He drew his sword back and thrusted, impaling the specimen's leg. Y/n tried to imaple it's face with Drain Lance, however the specimen's tentacle grabbed onto Y/n, stopping him. Barret fired at the beast to try and draw its attention. Using the opportunity, Tifa dove kick into its face, stunning it. Cloud followed up by slicing the tentacle off, allowing Y/n to thrust the lance into its chest. Yuffie rushed towards the monster and used the lance as a leaping point, allowing her to slamm her shuriken into the specimen's head. "Hojo's getting away!" Barrer exclaimed as they quickly rushed towards the elevator.

As the elevator opened, they were able see Aerith within the cell, however she was guarded by a squad of Shinra troops. "Aerith!" Cloud called. The girl gasped as she turned to her saviors. Hojo's voice then ring throughout the lab. "Very impressive. I really must thank you for providing me such invaluable combat data." Hojo then turned to Y/n. "And I only know of one bloodline capable of spawning weapons from thin air. You're the one who got away... Prince Noctis. Oh how long has it been." Y/n glared at the doctor with rage. "Never believed I would see you again. But here we are. Divine intervention cannot defy fate. Now to subdue you and we can get started on our plan to procreate a new lineage. One blessed by the gods themselves and one carrying the blood of the ancient past." Hojo laughed and licked his lips. Aerith turned to Y/n whose gaze remained locked on Hojo. "Boys, do leave the prince alive, but the others... kill them."

Before the troops could react, Y/n had used a Delta Daggers to warp near two troop and slit their throats.

Y/n warped again as the troops fired where he once stood. Y/n reappeared and dropped a fire ball which exploded, burning two other troopers. The last could barely stand as he shook with fear at the sight of his burning or suffocating comrades. Y/n switched from the daggers to Hardedge and brought down the sword, cutting the final soldier.

"Yes! Yes! Such display of power!" Hojo shouted in excitement. "The test shall continue as soon as more reinforcements arrive." "Will they get here in time to save you from us!?" Cloud questioned. Hojo turned to the blonde. "Hmm. My, are you a SOLDIER?" Cloud was hesitant to respond. "Yeah." "No, not quite. Oh, now I recall. My memory was mistaken. My boy, you weren't a SOLDIER." Cloud began to have another episode and grabbed his head in pain.

Suddenly, dozens of cloaked figured appeared with in the lab and flew towards Hojo. "Huh!? What is is thus fascinating phenomenon!?" He questioned as the cloaked figures carried him away. "What are those things up to this time?" Barret asked. "Cloud!" Aerith called. "Right. Barret." "On it. Stand back!" Aerith moved away as Barret unleashed a barrage of bullets onto the cell's lock. The door slid open and Aerith was set free. "You came for me!" She exclaimed with happiness. "Yep." Cloud simply responded. "You good?" Tifa asked. "I'm great!"

Just as Aerith stepped out of the cell, two armored troopers arrived at the scene.

"Thanks for saving Marlene." Said Barret. "I owe you one." "Save it for later!" Instructed Cloud as he and Y/n charged forward. One of the troopers brought down his saber, but Y/n phased through it, allowing Cloud to counter with a slice to the chest. However, due to the heavy armor, the attack only managed to scratch it. The second trooper aimed its rifle arm at Cloud, but Tifa dove kicked it away while Barret gained the his attention with rounds of bullet fire. The first trooper swung at Cloud who pirouetted away from the attack. Y/n conjured Hardedge and slammed the blade down, however the trooper evaded. Tifa rammed her shoulder against her opponent's chest which sent him sliding back. This allowing Yuffie to throw her shuriken and cast a ninjutsu that caused the shuriken to rumble with electricity. The ninja's attack landed and released a charge of electricity that caused the armor to short circuit. Barret began to charge a fireball and let it fly, causing the armor to explode. As for Y/n and Cloud, their combined attacks managed to weaken the trooper's chest armor. "Give me a boost!" Y/n instructed as Cloud lowered his sword which Y/n lept onto. Cloud then swung his sword up, sending Y/n into the air. Using the momentum of the swing, Cloud swiped at the chest armor, creating an opening. Y/n came down with Drain Lance and impaled the trooper within.

"Aerith, are you okay?" Tifa asked as she took to the girl's side. "Mhm. Thank you." "No biggie." "Let's get outta here." Said Cloud. "Wait!" Yuffie exclaimed. "You said you'd help me take down Shinra." "We never actually agreed to help you with that." Y/n argued. "You just decided to tag along." Yuffie opened her mouth to respond, but she realized that they didn't actually agree to anything. "Who are you?" Aerith asked. "A girl whose disappointed." She said with a pout. "Her name's Yuffie." Y/n introduced. "Nice to meet you, Yuffie. I'm Aerith." Yuffie remained silent as she slumped her head down. "Anyway, it's good to see you safe, Aerith." Y/n said. "Yeah." She smiled before turning to Cloud, hoping he would say something, but he didn't.

As the party began to make their move, a sudden growl caused their attention to turn to a newcomer.

The strange feline/dog creature growled before suddenly running off and lept through a window, shattering it. "The hell was that thing!?" Asked Barret. "We need to go!" Aerith said abruptly. "Aerith!" Tifa called as the brown haired girl ran towards the direction of the creature. "Come on." Cloud said as they began to follow.

Entering a hallway, they saw the strange creature charging towards a disoriented Hojo. The creature attempted to strike at the doctor, however the steel elevator doors protected the madman. The creature then turned and set it's sights on the party. "What? You wanna go?" Barret challenged. "Stop." Aerith halted the gunman. "This child's a friend." Aerith began to approach the creature. Aerith smiled warmly and extended her hand towards it as it growled viciously, however, upon feeling her warm touch, the creature began to relax. "What exactly are you?" Y/n asked as he made his way over to the creature and knelt down to its level. "A fascinating question." It suddenly spoke, surprising the party. "Did it just talk?" Tifa said in a gasp. "You asked what it is." He began to approach Y/n. "Hmm... I am that which you see before you. Nothing more. I'd appreciate it if we simply left it at that. Agreed?" "Sure." Y/n replied as he extended his hand. "My name is Y/n." The creature looked down at the prince's hand. "It is an honor to meet you, your higness." He instead bowed. "Um. No need for formalities." "Hojo said you are a prince, are you not?" "I am, but I'd prefer just being treated as an equal rather than that of higher power." "As you wish." "So, you gotta a name?" Tifa asked, looking at his black "XIII' tattoo. "Red XIII." He introduced his name as. "The designation given to me by Hojo." "Then you must have another name. What is it?" Red seemed hesitant to answer. "You don't have to tell us, of course." Tifa assured. "It just seemed like you wouldn't want to carry that name because Hojo gave it to you." "Nanaki. That's my name." Tifa smiled. "Nice to meet you. My name's Tifa." "Barret." "Yuffie's the name!" "Cloud." "Pleasure to meet you all."

Nanaki then turned towards the elevator. "He got away." "So, we gonna go get the son of a bitch?" Barret asked Cloud. Cloud suddenly began to limp as he struggled to walk forward. He grabbed onto his head and groaned in pain. The party watched in concern as Cloud ignored their cries of worry. "Je...no..." He spoke softly as he limped towards the elevator. Cloud stopped before the elevator and pressed his hand against the door. "Mo...ther..." His hand slowly slipped away and Cloud fell onto the floor, unconscious. "Cloud!" Exclaimed Y/n, Tifa, and Aerith as they rushed to his side.

The party found, what was once Aerith's childhood home, or rather childhood room; where they were able to lay Cloud down. Aerith looked over at Y/n who seemed to avoid her eyes. She then turned to Tifa who had a look of worry. "Y/n, can we talk about what Hojo said." The prince inhaled deeply. "What's there to talk about?" "I want to clear the air between us. You're a good friend and I don't want to lose that relationship because of what could've happened rather than what did. It's okay that you're uncomfortable with just the thought of that, but please don't let it effect us." Y/n looked at Tifa gave him a reassuring smile. Y/n turned to Aerith and nodded. "You're right. I won't." Aerith smiled and pulled Y/n into a tight hug. Y/n was taken by surprise, but returned the embrace.

As Cloud slept, Barret and Yuffie took the opportunity to take a nap as well. Aerith sat near the edge of bed, watching for any signs of the blonde waking up. Y/n on the floor with his back against the wall. Tifa joined him as well. "It's been a long night, hasn't it?" "Yeah." Y/n answered in a yawn. Tifa chuckled. "I thought the cappuccino was supposed to help keep you awake." "It has, but now it's starting to wear off. Don't you feel it?" Tifa then began to rub her eyes. "I think you passed it on to me." She then yawned and rested her head on Y/n's shoulder. Tifa felt calm and before she knew it, she too had succumbed to her tiredness.

Nanaki turned to Y/n who was fighting to stay awake. "I think you should rest as well, your majesty." "I told you, there's no need to call me that." "Sorry. Mannerisms are something I hold in high regard. If you don't mind me asking, what kingdom are you the heir of?" "Lucis." "Lucis? That's in Eos, correct?" "Yeah." "Last I heard they were at war with Niflheim. What brings the prince out here to Gaia?" "I wanted to see some old friends." Y/n looked down at Tifa and smiled as she slept blissfully. Nanaki looked at Tifa and began to take in smells. "What are you doing?" Y/n asked defensively. "She smells nice." Nanaki replied. "Is she to be your future queen?" Y/n was caught off guard at the question and began to blush. Aerith, who has been overhearing their conversation, giggled to herself. "No. I mean, unless she says no." "Doubt she will." Aerith assured. "But you've still got a long way to go until you get to hear wedding bells." "I need to ask her on a date first." "Here I believed you were already courting each other." Said Nanaki. "No. I haven't had a good opportunity to ask her out." "Nervous?" "Yeah, but so far the timing just isn't there." "I'm sure there will be." "I hope so."

After few more minutes passed, the party was well awake when Cloud suddenly stirred and began to sit up. "Oh, thank goodness!" Aerith exclaimed. "You're awake." "You okay?" Tifa asked. "Yeah." Cloud looked around the room. "Where are we?" "Where I lived." Aerith answered. "When I was still a child." Cloud sat up straight and rubbed his face. Y/n walked over to his friend and extended his hand with a smile. Cloud took it, returning his friend's smile.

"You know, if you never need anything, we're here for you." Cloud looked down, unsure of what to say next. "Yeah." He simply responded.

Cloud began to approach a wall which was covered in drawings. He placed his hand on the wall and looked at the array of colors.

"My mom and I stayed here, years ago when when I was just a little girl." Aerith said. "The room... looks exactly the same." Cloud turned to Aerith and met her green eyes. "Every morning, they'd come and take my mom away. I remember crying here alone." "Aerith. Before we break outta here, talk to us. There's so much we don't know."

The room fell silent as they waited for Aerith to say something. "I'm... a descendant of the Ancients. That's pretty much it, really." Cloud didn't seemed convinced. "Oh, but just so you know, that's not their actual name. They called themselves... the Cetra." "We who are born of the planet, with her we speak." Barret enunciated their phrase. "Her flesh we shape. Unto her promised land shall we one day return." Barret rose to his feet as he continued. "By her loving grace and providence may we take our place in paradise." "You know it!" Aerith exclaimed in happiness. "Yeah, well... honestly I thought that part was just a fairy tale." Aerith shook her head. "Shinra thinks it's true. They've been searching for the promised land for a long time." "And they're adamant in thinking you can lead them to it... can you?" Tifa asked. Aerith shook her head and sighed. "Nope. Someday, maybe. I'll find it in me. But now? Not even if I wanted to." "Even if you could, that land belongs to the- I mean... to you and your people." Said Barret. "Shinra's after it because they believe it's rich in Mako, Mako they've got no right to claim. But they'll try to take it anyway, won't they? Hmph. Greedy bastards'll never stop. Okay. New plan. Y'all take Aerith and get the hell outta here. Me, I'mma go bust some Shinra head." Yuffie then sprung to her feet. "Now we're talking!" "Wait... you can't do that." Argued Aerith.

Suddenly, cloaked figured began to circle around the room. "Oh great. These assholes again!" Barrer snapped as he readied his arm. "Probably some Shinra science experiment." "Whispers." Said Nanaki. "Perhaps best described as arbiters of fate. They are drawn to those who attempt to alter destiny's course and ensure they do not." "Like capital D... Destiny?" Tifa questioned. "The flow of the great river that is the planet, from inception to oblivion." "And you're saying that that flow is somehow... fixed?" "Yes. For it is the will of the planet itself." "But I always believed that the gods controlled fate." Y/n pondered. "Indeed they do, but it's for the benefit of the planet itself rather than it's people." "I'm not sure I wanna stick around you guys anymore." Yuffie said in a panick. "You're fate is already intertwined with ours." "Wait, back up, so if we're destined for a bleak future, these Whispers will try to keep us on that course?" Questioned Barret. "Now wait just a damn minute! How the hell can you possibly know any of that? Spouting that cryptic stiff, which could all be bullshit! I mean, ain't you a Shinra lab rat...er dog?" Nanaki looked down with hurt in his eyes. "I'm not a rat dog." He then turned to Aerith. "When Aerith reached out to me I found this knowledge of the Whispers." "Listen to me!" Began Aerith. The Whispers then began to circle around her. "Please..." "Aerith!" Called Cloud. "The Shinra Electric Power Company isn't the real enemy. It started with them, sure... but I promise you... there's a much bigger threat. I just want to do everything in my power to help. All of you. And the planet." "Aerith. What are you not telling us?" Asked Tifa. Aerith shook her head in desperation. "I'm lost in a maze, and every step is taking me further from the path. Everything the Whispers touch me... I lose something. A part of myself." She then let out a small chuckle. "Follow them. The yellow flowers." The Whispers began to swarm around Aerith with more aggression and she began to whimper in fear. Tifa quickly stepped in and without hesitation, pulled her out. "It's okay." She comforted her friend. "We'll find a way out together." Aerith smiled. "Okay." The Whispers began to disperse and eventually leave. "Weird..." Barret mumbled.

The screens above the room's desk suddenly turned on and Mayor Domino appeared. "Ah-ha! There you are!" The camera feed was suddenly interupted by a familiar face. "What are you doing, man!" "Hey guys! Long time no see!" Wedge greeted in perfect health.

"Wedge!?" Barret exclaimed in both happiness and confusion. "You're here?!" Added Tifa. "Y-You shouldn't be up and moving!" Barret exclaimed. "I'm feeling much better thanks to Elmyra's cooking." Wedge assured as he rubbed his belly. "Ah, but that's not what I wanted to talk to you about! Listen, any moment now-" The building suddenly began to shake violently. "What was that? An explosion?" Tifa thought. "HQ's running the show this time." Informed Wedge. "They're raising hell to try and flush out the president." Mayor Domino then took the camera. "This complicates matters. That explosion just now put the whole building on high alert." The camera feed shifted to a layout of the building where many paths were sealed off. Tifa gasped. "So now we're trapped in here?" "No need to panic, little lady. See? You can still move freely within Hojo's laboratory." A yellow arrow began to move around the map, showing where they needed to go. "Find you way to the roof." Said Wedge. "An Avalanche chopper will come to extract you." "HQ's bailing ud out?" Barret scoffed. "I doubt it. Not after all the shit we've pulled." "I asked them really nicely! Like super duper nicely!" "Thanks, Wedge." Tifa said. "Just get to the roof, okay?" The feed then cut off. "Alright guys, we have no idea what's gonna be waiting for us, so we have to look after each other." Said Y/n. "Agreed?" The party nodded and began to head out.

Exiting the room, they headed down a hallway that lead them back to the elevator Hojo used to escape. As they entered the elevator, Cloud couldn't help but notice a black feather fall from the ceiling towards the ground as the elevator door closed.

"Hell is this place?" Barret asked as they exited the elevator and took sight of the vat before them.

"Hojo's treasure." Hissed Nanaki. "Shinra's dark secret." "What I wouldn't give to burn it all down. But we need to get to the roof." Yuffie gritted her teeth. "These sick bastards need to pay for their crimes against humanity!" "I know. And they will."

Walling along the catwalk, their path lead them close towards the vat where they saw what appeared to be a woman within.

"Jenova?" Y/n read the small plaque. "What is that?" Barret asked. Cloud then suddenly grabbed his head in pain and he began to groan. This time it seemed more painful as his groans turned to audible cries. As he opened his eyes, he saw the familiar long haired man standing in front of the being within the vat. "Mother... together we will reclaime our world." The man said to Jenova. Tifa approached Cloud and grabbed his arm. "Cloud?" Tifa suddenly let out a gasp as her eyes widened with fear. She too saw the long haired man. The rest of the party grew unease at the sight of the mysterious man before them.

"Tell me." Cloud said as he weakly approached the man. "It is really you?" Cloud froze and clutched his head once more in even more pain than before. "Don't deny me." He spoke in a chilling voice. "Embrace me." Cloud gritted his teeth and grabbed his sword. With a roar, he began to charge at the mysterious man, only for him to swing his massively long sword and cut away at the cat walk. That didn't stop Cloud as he jumped off and brought down his sword, only to clash with his opponent's.

"A touching reunion." The man spoke. He effortlessly parried Cloud, sending the blonde falling off of the cat walk. In the blink of an eye, the mysterious man was gone.

"What the hell just happened?!" Barret exclaimed in confusion. Y/n looked down the shaft of the laboratory. "CLOUD!" He shouted. "I'm gonna go look for him. We'll meet you guys back up here." "Wait!" Tifa shouted as she grabbed Y/n's hand. "Be careful." Her red eyes were filled with worry. "I will." Y/n conjured his daggers and began to warp down.

Shortly after jumping, Y/n came across Cloud who was getting back to his feet. "Cloud!" Y/n called as the blonde drew his sword and aimed it at Y/n. "Relax. It's just me." The blonde sighed and placed his weapon back onto his back. "Can you tell me who the hell that was?" Cloud looked up. "Sephiroth." Y/n recalled Tifa mentioning the name. "Sephiroth. He's the one who destroyed Nibelheim, right?" "Yeah." Y/n looked at his surroundings. "We need to get back up there and get the hell outta here."

The pair began to navigate around the lab, using test subject pods as ways of crossing gaps within pathways. "Need a hand?" Nanaki asked as he too had joined. "Thanks." Said Cloud. "You okay?" "Yeah." "How are the others?" Y/n asked. "Tifa was a bit shaken up, but they're fine." Arriving at the path they could not make, Nanaki provided assistance my leaping across the wall and activating a lever that created a path for the two. 

"What kinda freak show they got going on here?!" Questioned Barret as his distance voice became clearer. As they squeezed through a door, Barret was in the middle of facing off a few of Hojo's experiments. Nanaki quickly lept into action and bit down onto a Monodrive with his fangs engulfed in flames. Y/n used his Drain Lance to slice down two Monodrives while Cloud took another down. Barret blasted the final experiment and sighed. A machine was then activated and began to charge at Barret, fortunately Y/n was able to slow down its blade spinning top with Ziedrich. Cloud jumped forward and slice of an appendage while Nanaki front flipped and sent a wheel of fire crashing into the machine. Barret followed up by casting a Lightning spell and blowing up the machine. "Hey, you okay?" Barret asked Cloud. "Yeah. I'm fine." "If you say so." A sealed door began to open. "Guess we're out." "What's the plan?" Asked Nanaki. "First, we find the girls." Began Barret. "Then we head for the roof." "How did you guys get separated?" Y/n asked. "Nanaki and I followed after you, but he was much faster at getting to you then me."

The four began to scale up the laboratory once more. Nanaki once again lept across the wall to lower a level to create a path. However, as the path was created, several monsters ambushed Nanaki, but tubes came crashing down at them with a shuriken slicing down the remaining. Nanaki looked up and saw his saviors: Tifa, Aerith, and Yuffie. "We got em!" Aerith exclaimed as the trio high fived. "Yeah, keep it up y'all!" Barret praised. "Don't move an inch!" Said Aerith. "We'll be right there!"

As the girls stepped into an office area, a force field erupted, trapping them inside. Tifa was saying something, but her voices was muffled. "What!? We can't hear you!?" Barret shouted. Moving around the office, Cloud found a terminal and turned it one. "Cloud. Can you hear me?" Tifa asked. Before Cloud could answer, a P.A. system turned off. "Ahem. Can you all hear me?" Hojo's voice rang throughout the lab. "Haha! So tell me. How are you finding the Drum? You know, it's filled with the most advanced technology in Midgar, if not the entire world. You should feel honored to see it firsthand. You'll also have the opportunity to take part in a rather ambitious experiment of mine. When all the pieced are in place, I will open the door to the 3rd ward. Perhaps you can help me with the necessary preparations? Given that you're already in the perfect position to do so. I look forward to data both invaluable and instrumental." "Necessary preparations?" Barret repeated. "The hell is this asshole talking about?" "Can't we just ignore him and keep going?" Tifa asked in a sigh. "I'm afraid not." Said Nanaki. "If I know Hojo, he won't let us out until we indulge his request for data." "He said something about a ward, right? I'm pretty sure I saw a door to one upstairs somewhere." "So... you wanna check it out?" Aerith asked. "It's just gonna be you gals." Said Y/n. "Be careful." "We will." Tifa replied before she stepped away from the terminal.

Tifa and the others began to head upstairs. "Do you think Cloud's doing okay?" She asked Aerith. "He's been acting really weird lately. More than usual." "True, but it's Cloud. I'm sure he'll be fine, but what about you Tifa? How are you holding up?" "Huh?" Tifa chuckled. "Oh, I'm fine!" "Can I tell you something about Y/n?" "Sure." "I need you to promise me you won't tell him." "I promise." "You too, Yuffie." "Roger!" "Back when I first met Y/n and Cloud, the Whispers were telling me about a 'King of Kings.' I'm not exactly sure what they meant, but the more we encountered the Whispers, the more they told me that Y/n shouldn't be here. I think him being here is messing with fate and the Whispers seem to hate the fact that something or someone is stopping them from stepping in." Tifa took in Aerith's words. "Is it because it goes against Y/n's fate? Or the world's?" "I-I'm not sure." "Man, all this fate stuff is making my head all wonky!" Yuffie groaned as she ruffled her hair. Tifa and Aerith giggled. "Let's just focus on getting out of here." Said the former.

The girls stopped before a door where a '3' was painted above the wall. "I guess this has to be the 3rd ward, right?" Tifa said. "Think so, but it looks like the door's locked." Replied Aerith. "Guess we should look around." Yuffie said as she leaned on a lever and brought it down. Test tubes peered at near the floor where the guys waited. "Look, now they can get across." Aerith said. "We should call them and let them know." Tifa jumped on a terminal. "Hello? Y/n?" "Yep. What's up?" "We found the door to that ward Hojo was talking about, but it's locked and we can't get it open." "Copy." "About those preparations Hojo mentioned before, I think we're supposed to do something with that." Said Aerith. "The central terminal." Nanaki theorized. "Interesting." "We were fiddling with some sort of control panel. Do you see a way to get across now?" "Yeah, we'll call you guys if anything comes up." Y/n replied as he got off the call.

"The hell kinda research is this?" Barret asked as he looked at the central terminal. "The cataclysm that came from the stars, Jenova." Nanaki informed. "Hojo has devoted half of his life to her study." "I don't give a shit about any of that." "The experiments in this facility involve the enhancement of life forms and machines through the application of Jenova biological data." "Many, if the Empire ever got a hold of this tech, we'd surely lose the war." Y/n said grimmly.

The four continued through the Drum, heading closer to the central terminal. "Wait a second, weren't the girls by the 3rd ward?" Barret asked. "There are four switches." Nanaki examined. "One for each ward." Cloud pulled the lever to the 3rd ward. "Transfusion procedure complete." Began an announcement as a tube leading into the 3rd ward began to glow. "Commencing test of augmented research specimen. "We need to earn the others." Said Nanaki. "Tell them to be careful. Very careful." Y/n nodded and jumped onto a terminal. "Tifa?" "I'm here." "We accessed the central terminal." Cloud informed. "The door should be unlocked now." "Just be careful. I think this thing pumped something into whatever is in there." Y/n warned. "We'll be okay. Over and out."

The girls entered into the 3rd ward where Tifa flipped a switch which unlocked a sealed steel door. Waiting behind were three Unknown Entities that had attacked Tifa and Barrer before. One of the monsters tried to cast a Lightning spell, however Aerith blasted it away with a magic blast. Tifa slid underneath a swipe and jump kicked the monster's stomach before sending two punches across its face. The third roared and lept into the air, but was quickly slammed back onto the floor by Yuffie who followed up by imapling the monster.

The trio squeezed into another room where many empty cages laid around. "Uh, what is this place for?" Asked Tifa as a chill went down her spine. "There's a... sadness." Aerith warned ominously. Yuffie suddenly yelped as dog creatures tried to break free from the cage. "Poor things." Said Aerith as they exited the room. Entering another room, more cages filled with experiments dogs awaited them. Suddenly, the cages clicked and the Bloodhounds within attacked. Tifa kicked one away, sending it flying into a stack of boxes. Yuffie used an Aero spell to pull three Blodhounds together, allowing Aerith to blast them with beams of magic.

Walking deeper into the ward, the sound of munching grew closer and closer. The girls watched in horror as a hulking dog monster feasted upon the Unknown Entities. The monster, Zenene, looked up from its meal and saw the girls. Zenene lept towards Tifa who grabbed the monster by it's shoulder blade, holding it at bay. Yuffie supported Tifa by slicing it's chest which caused it to whimper and leap back, only to be met by Aerith who had conjured a Scorthing Storm that electrocuted the monster.

Tifa flicked another switch, allowing the trio to head deeper into the ward. The long hallway eventually lead them into a storage room where more Zenenes awaited. One beast tried to leap at Aerith who side stepped away. Tifa supported her by slide kicking the beast into a cage. The second Zenene tried to bite down onto Yuffie who used her shuriken to parry the beast. Tifa dove kick the Zenene's head and Yuffie followed up by slicing it's face.

After flicking one more switch, the girls had returned to the Drum. "Is this really the exit?" Tifa pondered. The door to the 3rd ward closed behind them. "I hate that man." Aerith spat. "I really do." Tifa lowered a level and released more test tubes across the wall. Nearby was a call terminal where Tifa pressed the button. "Hey, Y/n?" "Yeah." "We used the control panel here, so you should be able to get to the other side. Can you check?" "Roger that!" Barret's voice rang. "Was getting pretty bored anyway."

"You three stay there." Cloud said. "We'll call if anything comes up." "Okay. Be careful." Replied Aerith. Cloud lowered the switch to the 2nd ward and the boys began to head over. As they entered the ward, an alarm began to blare. "Commencing yes. All personnel must evacuate the area." Warned an announcement. Two Zenenes woke up and barked at the four. Barret began to unload rounds of bullets, buy they served to merely scratch their thick skin. Nanaki lept onto a Zenene and bit down onto its neck. Cloud rolled underneath another's scratch while Y/n rammed it towards the wall where Cloud impaled it. The other Zanane soon gave in to Nanaki's hold and the test came to a swift end. "I hope you're enjoying your experience." Said Hojo as he appeared in the overseer's office. "Why don't you come here and ask me?" Barret hissed as he sent charges towards the office, but it was unable to even scratch the force field. "Before you get any ideas, you should know that this field is bulletproof. No discernable changes after contact. Most fascinating. Hmm..." Hojo began to leave. "Hey, we ain't done yet!" "Seems we have no choice, but to entertain his little experiments." Said Nanaki.

The door ahead opened and the four entered another room where a M.O.T.H Unite awaited. The machine's bladed spinning torso was once again warded by Ziedrich. Barrer sent blasts of overcharge which knocked the machine back. Cloud used a Lightning spell, but time the unit absorbed it. "The hell?" Cloud muttered. The unit turned to Cloud and began to punch the blonde who managed to block the attacks. Nanaki lept onto the machine's back and tried to bite down on the machine, however it released an electric shock and knocked Nanaki off. Y/n conjured Hardedge and rushed towards the machine. He swung the blade, allowing it's momentum to follow up with another heavy swing. The unit began to short circuit and finally explode as Barret shot an explosive round. Left behind from the M.O.T.H Unit was a Magitek Core that rolled onto Y/n's foot. The prince picked it up. "How do you have this!?" Hojo laughed. "My dear boy it's only a matter of simple trade and nothing more." "Trade of what?" "We get their Magitek Cores, and even though the prince deal was unsuccessful, we in turn hand over orbs of Materia for their use." Y/n's eyes widened at the revelation. "Niflheim is fighting a war against those blessed by the gods. It's seems fair to me that our mutual advances of the science can stand to benefit from one another. Y/n gritted his teeth in anger and summoned his Drain Lance which he sent hurdling towards the force field, but it once bounced off. Hojo laughed. "Save some energy for the next step."

The door forward opened and the party advanced. "Look!" Barret pointed at an open door. Nanaki quickly began to rush towards it as Y/n used his Engine Blade to warp to it as well. Cloud looked around and cut a piece of metal from a machine and slung it towards the door to hold it open. Y/n and Nanaki passed through the door and eventually arrived in the overseer's office with Hojo. Nanaki growled and lept towards Hojo, however Nanaki was caught in a trap and left hanging in the air. Y/n threw his Engine Blade, but it, along with him, were caught in the trap as well. "Shit! Looks like they need our help up there!" Exclaimed Barret as they rushed towards the office. Barret began to shoot at the machine holding down the two. The machine released its hold and began to flee. "What was that thing?" He asked. "Where's Hojo?" Cloud added. "Got away." Y/n answered in frustration. Cloud nodded. "Forget about him for now. We have to find the others."

As they entered a surgical room the machine from before began to swing around the curtain, blocking the exit.

The machine known as Brain Pod released a plasma discharge which stunned the party. They watched as the Brain Pod began to multiply. The machines began to spew a toxic gas. "We need to destroy them fast!" Nanaki said in a cough. The party soon recovered and they began to each chase a pair of Brain Pods. Y/n used his Engine Blade to warp strike a Brain Pod before leaping into the air and slamming Drain Lance down onto another. Cloud sliced his first Brain Pod in half and imapled another. Barret shout an explosive round at one of his before using a Lightning spell to burst the other. Nanaki created a flame wheel which incinerated his first target while using his flaming fangs to shatter the last one.

The quartet exited the ward and returned back to the main Drum. "Let's inform the girls." Said Nanaki. Y/n found a call terminal. After Nanaki scaled the wall and opened the path, two Unknown Entities ambushed him and they dropped to a lower level. Y/n rushed towards the terminal. "Tifa! Tifa can you here me!" "What's wrong?" "Red-Nanaki fell to your level." Informed Cloud. "Can you try and get to him?"

"I see him!" Yuffie exclaimed as they turned towards their friend who battled two monsters. As they arrived at his side, more Entities appeared. Yuffie swung her shuriken and sliced a monster. Tifa flip kicked another off of the catwalk as Nanaki ripped through a third. Aerith created rays of magic that pierced through the last two. "You okay?" Tifa asked Nanaki. "I am now." "Have the others found anything?" "Actually they just found the entrance to the 4th ward. But to unlock it, they have to access the central terminal, which they cannot do from their position." "Maybe we can get to it instead." Aerith suggested. "Let's do it!" Exclaimed Yuffie.

The four scaled back down the Drum towards the central terminal where Tifa pulled the lever to the 4th ward. "Y/n?" Tifa called on the terminal. "Hello?" "We found an elevator on our side, but it wasn't working." "Hojo did something. I know it." Aerith said. "There's only one thing we can do. We need to head to the 4th ward, just like he wants." Informed Nanaki. "We unlocked it on our side. You should be able to get in." Added Tifa. "Gotcha. We'll meet you guys there." Replied Y/n.

The trio entered the door to the 4th ward. "We, uh, made Wedge wait a while to be rescued." Barrer commented. "Guess so." Cloud responded. "You know, he really likes you." "Maybe." "Friendly guy, but he has a hard time opening up to people." "Well... that makes two of us." "He's got your back though. Heh... makes two of us."

Entering a path within the ward, Cloud suddenly stopped. "You here that?" Barret asked as the sound of screeching echoed nearby. "Run!" Y/n exclaimed as they rushed towards a clear opening. A eel like machine poured out of one of the pipelines.

"Flying fishbot here's trying to turn us into mincemeat!" Exclaimed Barret. "Let's cook em up first!" Y/n replied as he threw Drain Lance into the air and began to combat the machine. Barret began to fire bullets as Cloud sent beam slashes. The machine known as Swordipede coiled and began discharge electric volts. Y/n was unfortunate to get caught by the volts and was send falling down. The Swordipede tried to maul Y/n with its grinding maw, but Cloud intervened and shoved his sword inside it mouth. Y/n recored and conjured his Drain Lance, sending it flying into the Swordipede's eye. The machine began to flow red and fly erratically around the room before cutting it's way through.

Back on the central terminal, the group heard rumbling as the Swordipede appeared before them. "I think it's coming this way!" Aerith warned as the four rolled out of the way of the incoming machine. Tifa created a barrier around Aerith as the Swordipede targeted her. Nanaki sent a flame wheel towards the machine which knocked it back. Aerith casted a powerful Lightning spell that messed with the Swordipede's circuitry. Yuffie used her ninjutsu to clone Aerith. "Do it again!" She instructed. "You got it!" The three Aerith's responded as they each casted Lightning which caused the Swordipede to drop. Tifa rushed towards its face and landed two punches before it got back up and tried to flee. Nanaki lept onto the machine and the girls watched as the Swordipede descended once more. They were caught of guard as the Swordipede returned, only for Nanaki to rip out a piece of wire that caused it to burst. "That's enough." Aerith said as the team sighed.

Suddenly, a path to the elevator lead the girls and Nanaki back. "Yes! We got it to work!" Said Aerith as the door opened. "Could this be a trap?" Tifa thought. "Don't worry. The elevators are safe." Aerith assured. The elevator stopped suddenly. "That was quick." Said Yuffie. "Something tells me that we're still in the lab." Said Aerith. "I hear something." Nanaki warned as a metal dinging rang nearby. "We don't have all day you know." They heard Barret's muffled voice. Tifa found a lever and pulled it down. Aerith began to push open the metal door. "Uh guys..." Barret watched as the door began to fall towards them. "Move!" Y/n shouted as he and Cloud pulled the gunman aside. "Heya guys!" Greeted Aerith. "Some greeting that was." Y/n said as the metal door crashed onto the floor below. "Band's back together." Barret said with happiness in his voice. "Past time we got outta her road made out way to the roof." "There's an elevator just over there." Nanaki said as he looked down the pipeline. "But it will move only at Hojo's discretion."

The party returned to the elevator. "Okay, atleast it's working." Said Tifa. "It appears Hojo is done having his fun." Nanaki assumed. "Hahaha! Glad to hear he enjoyed the show!" Barret laughed. The elevator opened its door and they had returned to where they came across Sephiroth. "We're back. Again." Tifa said, her voice shaking. "Yeah." Cloud responded. "Um. Something's missing here." Yuffie remarked as they exited the elevator.

The vat containing Jenova was gone, leaving behind cables surging with her essence.

"Who would..." Tifa wanted to ask, but she was worried she already knew who would do this. "We may find out soon." Nanaki said as he looked down at the splatter that created a path. "Let's go."

Hey guys Megoz here, God writing this chapter was awful. I forgot just how boring and tedious Hojo's lab was. I considered splitting it up into two chapters, but I decided to make it a long one since I wanted to get it over with. We are in the endgame of Remake and soon we'll be at the start of the team's new journey after. Thank you all to those who are supporting thus far and I hope you continue to enjoy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 262 11
Set after the events of advent children, Cloud struggles to become the 'real' family Tifa desperately wants them to become. This story is now complet...
5.5K 62 8
After having beaten Sephiroth and saving the planet, as well as putting down Shinra for good, Cloud and his allies can final get some rest and relaxa...
264 23 3
Y/N L/N. A young man born in Wutai. A man with a complicated past, escaped from Shinra's clutches and saw an advertisement for an organization whose...
33.6K 714 15
Y/n L/n, a mercenary whose discovered some of his roots and allowed him to use amazing abilities. There seems to be more than meets the eye with him...