The Whispering Shadows of Val...

By Hulkpoolza

This is the initial arc of the "Siege of Valhalla." In this first section we get to know a bit of the world a... More

Beneath the Valhallan Lemons
Veiled Tensions
Echoes of Allegiance
Ripples in the Pond of Brotherhood
Love and Leadership
The Silent Dance
The Unexpected Invitation
Reverberations of Past Loves and Loyalty
Bubbles of Games
From One Lips to Another
The Shadowed Embrace
From World to World
A Greater Family
The Politics Game
The Whispering Shadows of Valhalla: Hidden Affections
The Whispering Shadows of Valhalla: Dueling Gloves

A Chorus of Concern

0 0 0
By Hulkpoolza

The group reaches the entry way to the garden, it's an enclosed area with a small seating area that takes in the natural light. From there is the large glass double doors hold the enclosed and controlled environment of the palace's garden. This was done mostly to prevent any invasion of unnatural species into the native Valhallan environment. The enclosed space to get into the garden serves a similar purpose. Robertus is thankful for this when he sees a group of three royal guards chasing a small black bird with bright purple accents, it must have been able to slip into the palace due to one of them being careless. Aaron releases Robertus and carefully cups the bird with an impressive and careful grace. A royal guard opens one of the doors allowing Aaron to let the bird out.

A Pimogian Sparrow, it must have gotten hungry for some of the food the guards were eating, Robertus thinks to himself as he sees the crumbs on the floor, "We can't be letting them out into the halls of the palace, they may be infertile, but that doesn't mean we can just let them fly freely and cause a mess in the palace."

One of the royal guards, a girl by the name of Jalila, "My apologies Caesar we escorted up your companions, and then we were eating small meal together while we waited for them. We wanted to feel the breeze, and well, Kizzy saw a bird watching us and well one thing led to another."

Robertus chuckles, "Keziah, is that true?"

The guard looks embarrassed lowering her eyes, "Well Kazi scared it into the palace."

Robertus puts his arm on her shoulder, "It's fine." He looks around for a moment, "Is it just you three here?"

Kazimiera nods as Robertus' eyes meet hers, "Well Kicia, went to go get some more tea from the kitchen but it has just been us, I am sure the other royals are spread around."

"I was wondering, usually you sisters are all together. Hopefully, Jalila is being too strict on you guys." Robertus stands back up, he knows Jalila is rather light on her leadership, being very laid back in times of peace but can snap to it when the situation needs it. "So, who all is in the garden?"

"Oh, just Juniper, Avillion, Léa, and Korë, but my Caesar, Juniper has requested they are not disturbed. They are discussing something important."

Robertus raises an eyebrow, "Do you know what this subject could be?"

Jalila tries to conceal her emotions but it's clear she feels she shared too much, "My Caesar I will tell you it's not on what you told Korë this morning." She smiles, "They were very happy with that news especially Juniper."

Robertus is happy to have that weight off his back, but that pushes him to wonder even more on what it could be, "Did Claudius see them at some point today?"

Jalila puts her head down as she assumes Robertus is catching on quick to what she was told to keep quiet. "He saw them while they were having their meal, it was after your meeting with him and Romulus if that was going to be your next question." She crosses her arms annoyed at Robertus for pushing her.

Robertus just nods as he stares beyond her into the garden. It's a peaceful day, just as it was yesterday. The garden is set to mimic the climate of Pimogia, most of the plants and the few animals are native to it. There are some birds and plants native to Valhalla within it, such as the native lemon tree. A few plants from around the Pimogie Empire also found a home here. It's a carefully created ecosystem that works in harmony with each other, only minor maintenance is needed to help things to stay clean. It's always kept in good order, and Robertus is proud of that. He remembers the garden of the Josel's in New Capri; it was overgrown and chaotic just a horrid sight.

Robertus thinks for a moment though on if he should go into the garden at all, it is large enough he could be on the opposing side of them and not know a word of what they say nor if they are even there at all. He would like to have an idea on what they are discussing. He knows he will find it out later, but why wait. "Thank you, Jalila."

He slips out of his indoor slides as he opens a door going out into the garden. He puts his feet out into the garden. The soft grass welcomes his feet. It's a nice comfortable sixteen, slightly brisker than the twenty degrees of the palace.

He makes his way up towards the largest Valhallan Lemon tree in the garden. He has a feeling he might be able to hear them from there. He sinks down and breaths in deeply. The sweet smell of the flowers on the opposing side of the garden dance in his nose.

He starts to wonder why Claudius would tell people of their meeting. Did he just want to see what they had to think? There is probably more to it Claudius might be playing some sort of web. Robertus feels annoyed, why would Claudius feel the need, is he trying to push him away from going off world. He had felt a bit encouraging with it but maybe Romulus has pushed him to turn on the idea a bit.

He can't worry about this now; he needs to calm his mind and focus. He needs to listen past the ambience of the garden and listen for voices that are breaking through it.

"I just don't know about that Federation party, they have never been anything but trouble for us, I don't see why we would want anything to do with them now." Juniper angrily says.

Her voice is sharp and loud able to cut through the sounds of the moving water.

"I agree with Juniper," Avillion adds. "The Federation has always been trouble for us. They've always tried to make us look weak and they've never hesitated to do something that would hurt us. I don't see why we should try to make peace with them now. I also don't feel it is wise by any means to send Robertus there with only one guard."

"But we have the opportunity to try and mend our relationship with them," Léa points out. "Robertus is a strong leader; he can handle himself. Plus, if we refuse the invitation, it could be seen as a sign of weakness and the Federation might try to take advantage of that."

"I agree with Léa," Korë says. "We should at least try to be friendly with the Federation. It's not like we have to trust them completely, but we can use this opportunity to see if we can find common ground and maybe even form an actual friendship with them."

"I just don't want him to be in such a potentially dangerous place, it's going to be so far away from us we will be powerless to do anything if he is in danger." Juniper says with her voice quivering worry in her voice.

Robertus feels vain in how his mind is focusing more on their love for him than their worried. He is feels warm with love for them for him, he feels filled and just overjoyed. It is not as though he didn't know they cared about him and his safety. He dislikes this feeling though as feels it is taking away from what they are really saying and voiding their feelings as he is focusing on his own ego.

"He has to know how dangerous it is," Avillion says going over console Juniper. "But still..."

Robertus couldn't make out that last part of what Avillion had said he starts to slowly snake his way down closer to the pond.

"But he's a Caesar, he has to show face," Léa points out, "Like I was saying before it would be seen as weak if he doesn't show it there at the party."

"But at what cost?" Korë asks. "I just don't want anything to happen to him."

"None of us what anything to happen to him," Avillion says sternly, the girls all nod.

Robertus losing his footing and comes sliding down from the hill, spilling out from the bushes. The girls are all a bit shocked to see him and seem a little embarrassed. Robertus smiles a bit uneasily, but you can see a hint of sadness in his eyes. "Actually, I have made up my mind," the girls look at him with great anticipation as he pauses, "I will be going to the party."

Juniper starts to cry, Avillion, still holding her, scolds Robertus. She thinks it was the wrong moment to just say it so bluntly. She wants to say but she decides its best to stay silent.

Robertus decides to continue in their silence, "I must take the chance to work towards peace. We are in one of the longest periods of peace the empire has ever seen and if we can do anything to continue it, it would be our obligation to do it."

He looks at the girls as they hang on to his words, "I love all of you."

He feels his eyes grow wet as he looks around at the girls. He is pained knowing he will be away from them. This could be one of his last moments with them if something were to go wrong. He can see that there is a deep sorrow in their eyes. Even on the faces of Léa and Korë. "I understand that this decision may not be what you all wanted, and I apologize for any worry or fear it may cause you. It is important for me to show my face at this party, to try and mend our relationship with the Federation and to gather any information that may be useful to us."

He sees this has done little to soothe the mood so he throws down the last card in his hand, "I will have Romulus with me for my protection. Don't worry, I will be careful regardless. Now all I ask is for you all, is to trust in my decision and know that I am doing what I believe is best for all of us."

Juniper softly weeps into Avillion as she is held tightly by her. Avillion seems to be complacent with his choice. Léa has a smile of admiration, excitement dances in her eyes as she is excited to hear of this adventure from Robertus once he is done with it. Korë is looking away from Robertus though towards the ground, seemingly more worried than she was before.

Avillion unclenches her tongue, "We trust you, Caesar." She steps closer to him but bounces lightly back still tethered around Juniper's arm. She steps deep into Robertus; with a glow she hasn't had for him since she found love for Titus. "While we may not agree with your decision." She bites her lip, "We trust in you, and will stand by you."

Robertus smiles uneasily, "Thank you, I appreciate your loyalty. I will try my best to make sure your faith is not unfounded."

Juniper wipes her face, "Robertus come here."

Robertus complies with her orders stepping forward into the group of girls, they swarm around him, catching him into a hug.

After a long moment embracing, Robertus pulls away. He takes a deep breath and looks at the group, "I promise, I will do everything in my power to come back."

He pulls in each girl, one at a time hugging them. "I will leave you all to each other, I am sorry for my disturbance."

He doesn't wait for a response as he moves briskly back towards the palace. All he can do is think to himself is how Korë is hiding something. He doesn't feel it is a secret, but her demeanor seemed to change from confidence in him to worry. It seems to have been at the mention of Romulus, we will have to talk with her. She could know something about his cousin he has missed.

He should have Juniper be there with them too. He rolls his shoulders to stretch them, as a smirk crosses his lips, it had been a while since he has had a tumble with them. The smirk is pushed away just as quickly as it formed. All this work as governor has left him too drained for those thoughts to enter his mind, has seeing all women who are, or were in the case of Avillion, his companions pushed a desire to ensure the survival of himself.

He laughs to himself, it's a silly thought. His DNA like all Pimogies is stored away in their records. He has though been having dreams of children lately. Beautiful children, running around and playing back home on Pimogia, bouncing around the Imperial City, climbing all over him like he was a tree. He feels a strange emptiness start to come over him. As if his soul is missing something. Its strange, usually being with the girls he felt whole and complete, but he feels like something is missing.

Robertus starts to wonder if this is how his father had felt before the Zildor campaign. He had impregnated his mother after he had known he was going. Is it just a natural instinct to try and leave something of yourself behind when going off into a place you might not return to give yourself something to push you more to come back?

He smiles, Claudius loves thoughts like this. He will have to talk to him about it before he has to head off for the party. He crosses his arms as he continues walking back to reenter the palace, as he realizes he doesn't even know when he needs to leave. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15 0 12
The year is 5201, and the world is very different then it was hundreds of years ago. The sun has exploded, but the world wasn't destroyed because the...
52K 2.6K 44
I fucked up. Big time. I'm the daughter of the Prime in Viksenti, the foremost advisor to the king. I've been working undercover as a journalist und...
5.5K 155 22
Your at a new job after getting transferred from Freddy Fazbear's family pizzeria. Daycare + anamatronics + kids = recipe for stress. As you meet Sun...
1.4K 182 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...