A King and His Queen (Tifa x...

By Megoz7

It has been years since Y/n had last seen his childhood friends. Now as an adult, he returns to his homeland... More

Ch.1: Reunion
Ch.2: Errand Boys and Girl
Ch.3: The Jessie Job
Ch.4: Tunnels, Tunnels, and More Tunnels
Ch.5: Mako Reactor 5
Ch.6: The Flower Girl
Ch.7: Wall Market Pt.1
Ch.8: Wall Market Pt.2
Ch.9: Spooks and Sewers
Ch.10: All Comes Crashing
Ch.11: Survivors
Ch.13: Into the Building
Ch.14: Upper Crust
Ch.15: The Lab
Ch.16: Destiny's Crossroads
Ch.17: New Horizons
Ch.18: The Calm Before...
Ch.19: ...The Storm
Ch.20: Together
Ch.21: Union (Nearly)
Ch.22: Headaches and Heartaches
Ch.22: Trial of Titan
Ch.23: Trial of Ramuh

Ch.12: Before the Rescue

321 16 3
By Megoz7

The four had returned to Aerith's house where Elmyra graciously took in Wedge. "I'm sorry." Apologized Barret. "I truly am. We had no other place to go and..." Elmyra shook her head. "I would never leave a wounded man out on the street." She assured. "Elmyra. I know what you said, but you have to let us go after Aerith." Cloud said. "Not this again. We found an underground Shinra lab where they've done human testing. This won't be the first time and it won't be the last. I know these people, and I know they're never gonna let Aerith go. She's the one of the last living Ancients on the planet. Think about what that means to Shinra's scientists. Especially to that son of a bitch Hojo. We're all just numbers and meat to him." Y/n looked at Cloud. "And how exactly do you know this Cloud? Other than the fact that you were a SOLDIER." Cloud stammered, he was completely caught off guard by the question. "Unless you were experimented on as well." Tifa gasped. "Y/n. Why would you think that?" "ENOUGH!" Elmyra shouted. "Please. I need some time to think. You've all had a long day. Why don't you go upstairs and get some rest."

As Cloud, Barret, and Tifa headed for the stairs, Y/n walked towards the door. "Y/n?" Tifa called. "I'm gonna go get some air." Tifa followed behind Y/n who headed towards one of Aerith's flower beds. "What's wrong, Y/n?" "Cloud. That's what's wrong Tifa. His little episodes where he grabs his head in pain. The fact that he's so dismissive whenever we try and ask what's wrong." "I know, but we can't just force him to tell us what's wrong. He'll have to decide on his own time." "Tifa. This is Cloud we're talking about. He's not exactly the most open guy in the world." "Which is why we can't really help him if he doesn't come to us. He'll just shrug it off like he always does." Y/n sighed. "I'm just worried about him is all." "I understand, Y/n. I am too, but we can't rush things like this." "I guess you have a point." Y/n sat down near the flowe bed and Tifa joined. "It's beautiful here." Y/n looked at Tifa who ran her hand through the flowers. She looked up and smiled. "What?" "Nothing. Just admiring." Tifa blushed. "What exactly?" Y/n cleared his throat and looked down at the white flowers. "The flowers of course." Tifa chuckled. "Right. Anything else?" "Hmmm. No." Tifa playfully punched Y/n's arm. "Hehe. Like I have to mention it, Tifa." "Still. It's nice to hear." Y/n used his hand to brush aside Tifa's hair behind her ear. "You. I was admiring you." She smiled even more. The two laid down and looked up into part of the sky where they could see stars. "You ever think about what's gonna happen in the future, Y/n?" "I try not to. I want to live in moment and enjoy it because who knows what will happen tomorrow, right?" "That's true. I spend a lot of my time thinking about tomorrow when I should think more about today." "It is good to think about the future though." Y/n chuckled. "Finding a balance is what Ignis always tells me." "Oh, your friend?" "Yeah. I can't wait to introduce you to the guys back home." "I can't wait to meet them." "Have you known them long?" "I met Ignis as soon as I arrived. Gladio I met a few years later when I began my training. And Prompto didn't come up until high school." "How was high school like?" "It was... okay. It was hard to do anything or go anywhere without a group of people following me." "Any of them girls?" "...Mostly." "Did you have a girlfriend? Or rather do you?" Tifa turned way to hide her embarrassment upon asking the question. Y/n chuckled. "No. I don't. I guess... I'm just waiting for the right person." Tifa turned to Y/n who looked up into the night sky. "And I think I found her." Tifa couldn't contain her smile as she closed herself to Y/n and rested her head onto his shoulder while he rested his head on hers. The two remained staring up at the sky in silence; just enjoying each other's company. Soon, Tifa fell asleep, resting her head against Y/n's shoulder. Though he wanted to stay like this, he decided to carry her back to the house where she placed her beside Marlene. "Daddy?" The girl called as she rubbed her eyes. "Oh, it's me, Marlene." "Hi Y/n. What are you doing here?" "Tifa feel asleep so I brought h.er in. You should be asleep too." "I will, but look." Marlene pointed at the Sylleblossom near the window pane. "You brought your flower?" "It's the one you gave Tifa. She told me it was really important to her and so brought it with me." Y/n smiled. "Thank you Marlene. You go back to sleep okay." "Okay. Goodnight." "Goodnight."

Later that night, Cloud stirred awake and rose to his feet. He looked over and saw Y/n, Barret, and Wedge fast asleep. He carefully exited the room where he thought he saw Aerith walking down the stairs. Quietly, Cloud made his way out of the house and followed Aerith towards a flower bed. "How is this... Is this a dream?" "Maybe. You tell me." "You okay?" "Don't I look it? I used to live in the Shinra building, back when I was really little." "Your mom told us." "Right. So it kinds feels like I've gone back to my childhood home, you know? Honestly, it's not that bad." Cloud scoffed. "So what, you wanna stay?" "Come on, Cloud. Don't be silly." "Your mom's really worried too." "Too? So you're worried about me?" "O-Of course I am." "I'm sorry about that. Really." Aerith turned towards a glowing light in sky. Cloud followed her gaze and gasped.

"Is that..." "Everyone dies eventually." "I suppose." "So we need to make the most of the time we have to live our lives the way we wanna live. Every minute... every moment, matters." "I'll remember that." "Good. So..." "You need to embrace this moment. Right?" "I'm glad I met you, Cloud. I really am. I'm grateful for all the words we've shared. For all the moments and the memories. You've made me more happy than you know. And I'll always cherish what you've given me. But... but whatever happens, you can't fall in love with me." Those words cut Cloud deep. Aerith took notice and held his cheek. "Even if you think you have... it's not real." Cloud tried to reach for her, but his arm passed through. "Do I get a say in all this?" "It's almost morning. Time to go." "I'm coming for you." Aerith smiled. "If that's what you want. Thank you." Cloud opened his eyes and shocked to see that he was still inside the room. His mind process what had just happened. Was it real? A dream? Could he truly be in love with Aerith? Or is it all a fantasy?

The following morning, the four had gathered in the living room with Elmyra. "You've done more for us than we deserve." Barret said to Elmyra. "I won't forget this. If you ever need anything, all you gotta do is holler." "Happy to help out however I can." "Elmyra." Cloud began. "I've been thinking about what you said." She interupted. "She's calling out to me." Said Cloud. "I can feel it." "We all can." Tifa added. "So please. She's our friend. We have to help her." Elmyra looked at Y/n. "We'll find her and bring back safe and sound. I promise." "I always knew it was coming. Knew that one day I'd have to say goodbye to my baby girl. But not yet. Please. Bring her back to me." "We will." "Daddy!" Marlene called as she ran down the stairs. "Marlene." Barret looked down at his daughter. "Are you going?" Barret knelt down to Marlene's level. "I'm sorry, honey. I wish I didn't have to. I wish I could be with you all the time. I really do. But if I stay here, I can't fight out there." "Hm?" "Some bad people are... trying to hurt the planet. And daddy... daddy and his friends ate trying to stop those bad people. The slums, your friends, the whole planet... it's daddy's job to protect it. He extended his arm and Marlene smiled, wrapping her small arms around her father. "And that's why I've gotta go. You remember that nice girl who came to find you? Well, now we gotta go find her. And when we bring her home, you need to say thank you, okay?" "Kay! That girl... she was kinda..." "What?" "Nothing. You should help her." "We will." "You'll come back... right?" "Of course. I promise." "Okay. You can go."

The four exited the house. "Barret, you can stay if you want to." Y/n suggested. "I appreciate the concern, but I owe it Aerith for taking care of my little girl." "You sure?" "Mhm. Time to get some payback." "Now that I think about it, how are supposed to to get topside?" Tifa asked. "With everything that's happened, the trains still aren't running." "Well, we could walk along the tracks." Barret suggested. Y/n groaned. "The city's on high alert." Cloud responded. "All the roads and public transit have probably been locked down by now." "So what's the plan then? You know another way up?" Cloud remained silent. "I think I know someone who might." Said Tifa. "Oh, really Tifa?" Y/n didn't like who she meant. Cloud then caught on. "You mean Corneo."

The four made their way towards Wall Market. "Not eager to see Corneo so soon?" Cloud asked. "Do you have to ask?" "I'm lost." Said Barret. Tifa giggled. "When I went to investigate why Corneo's men were in Sector 7, Y/n thought I was in danger so he had to get all prettied up to try and save me. Turns out that he was more attractive than Aerith and me, so Corneo chose him as his new girl." Barret burst into laughter and Cloud couldn't help but chuckle. Y/n blushed in embarrassment. "That's the thanks I get for trying to help, huh?" Tifa smiled. "No, this is." Tifa held Y/n's arm and leaned in, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Woah-ho!" Barret exclaimed. Y/n blushed as Tifa winked. "Thank you, my hero." "A-Any time."

Their little banter was soon interupted by a crowd standing near a young woman giving a speech.

"So, after bombing Reactors 1 and 5, what do the eco-terrorists do? They go for the trifecta and take out Mako Reactor 7! Another attack by amateurs who don't care about collateral damage. The sky is falling and Avalanche is to blame! But wait! Did you know Wutai is the one funding their activties?!" Y/n's attention wandered towards a person standing on a roof wearing a ragged moogle cloak. The stranger was looking down with binoculars and upon noticing that Y/n was looking back, the stranger stumbled and quickly jumped away. Y/n glanced at his friends, but they were busy listening to the crowd speaker. "For all their claims about fighting for the slums... they're nothing more than pawns of Wutai! Puppets dancing to the tune of their foreign masters! And that's the truth! Topside news delivered straight to your ears! That'll be five gil. Five gil. Come on!" The crowd mumbled to themselves as they began to disperse, leaving the girl disappointed. "Five gil a piece! Cough it up! The truth ain't free, you know!"

"We ain't no damn pawns of Wutai!" Barret said to his company. "I couldn't care less about the rest, but that shit?" Barret tried to confront the girl, but Tifa held him back. "No one will listen to us. There's no point in even trying. I'm sorry." "Hey... hey Tifa, listen. There's no room in this for regrets or what it's or any of that. All we can do is keep moving forward. Keep following this path we chose. Wherever, so we can sat we did all we could." "I know. But... right now... instead of looking forward, you need to look around. Everyone here is terrified. So I'm asking you... don't." Barret nodded.

The four ventured towards Wall Market and arrived before Corneo's mansion. Entering the building, it was completely barren; they were met with zero resistance as they made their way over to Corneo's room. Passing a corner, Cloud quickly drew his sword and aimed it towards Leslie's neck who, in turn, held Cloud at gunpoint. "Long time no see." He said. The two lowered their weapons. "What brings you back here?" "Well, we need to find a way to get topside as quickly as possible, and we figured Corneo oughta know one." Responded Tifa. "Is that so. In that case, I can help." "You serious!? Then tell us!" Exclaimed Barret. "Follow me." Barret and Tifa looked towards Y/n and Cloud. "What's your intuition gotta say?" Asked Y/n. "Let's just hear him out."

The party followed Leslie into Corneo's bedroom where was placing a ladder down the chute that had sent them to the sewers. "So what's the deal with the hole?" Asked Barret. "Unfinished business." Leslie responded vaguely. "If you four give me a hand with it, I'll give you what you need to get topside." "You want us to go back into the sewers with you?" Tifa inquired. "What's down there?" "Corneo's hidey-hole. That's where I'm headed." "You're not gonna try and screw us over, are you?" Barret questioned. "If that's what you think, walk away. I'll find somebody else to work with. And you'll have to find another way to get topside." "Alright. We're in." Cloud concurred. "Say what!?" Exclaimed Barret. "He betrays us, he dies." Leslie smirked. "Fine by me." "He means it." Tifa said. Leslie looked at Tifa before turning to Cloud. "I'll tell you more after we've climbed down."

The five climbed down the ladder and landed within the sewers. "You are gonna hold up your end of the bargain, right?" Barret questioned. "Long as you hold yours, yeah." "I don't trust you and I don't like you. So if you so much as breathe in a suspicious way..." He lifted his gun towards Leslie's face. "...I'll turn that face of yours into a honeycomb." "I'd save your bullets for the monsters, if I were you. Some are a lot tougher than you'd think." He glanced over at Corneo's pet's rotting corpse. "Then again, you did do that." "Let's get this over with." Cloud urged.

Leslie began to lead the way through the sewer system, but stopped. "Head for the trunk line, it marks the border with Sector 7. You four lead the way. I'll follow a short distance behind." "I'll shadow you then." Y/n said. "Keep you outta trouble." Leslie scoffed. "No sense in trust?" "Not with you."

Cloud, Tifa, and Barret lead the journey through the sewers with Leslie following behind them and Y/n trailing behind him. After navigating through the sewer system and killing dozens of aquatic monsters, Leslie took stopped them in front of a door bearing Corneo's mark. "Can I ask you something?" Tifa directed at Leslie. "Why did you help us out before? You could've lost everything." "Andrea. He told me to." "Gotta be more to it than that." Said Y/n. "I couldn't bring myself to let it happen again..." "Huh?" "Doesn't matter. Let's go." The group passed through the steel door and entered a narrow tunnel. "We're getting close to Corneo's hideout. From here on, I'll take the lead."

Leslie stopped before another steel door. "This it?" Asked Barret. "Yeah." "So how are we supposed to get topside?" Cloud questioned. "Through here." "Then you're telling me we're not done?" "Sorry guys, but it's not that simple." A growl caused their attention to turn towards a creature that rushed at Leslie and knocked him over.

The strange creature looked down towards a pouch that Leslie had dropped. "No!" The creature picked it up and ran off. "Wait! We gotta catch him!" The four looked at each other, unconvinced. "He took the key to the door! Without it, we're screwed!" "Fine." Cloud said reluctantly.

The five gave chase towards the monster that dashed through the sewers. The party finally cornered the monster, forcing it to confront its chasers. Before it could make its next move, Cloud quickly dashed forward and cleaved it in two. Cloud picked up the pouch and took out its contents; however inside was not a key, but a necklace. "Give it back!" Demanded Leslie. "That's..." "Give it back!" Cloud handed over the necklace. "That's not a key." Barret said with an irritated voice. The party glared at Leslie who dropped his head. "Sorry." Barret studied Leslie's demeanor. "That's not your pendant either. Were they family?" "No... it was my fiance's. She gave it to me six months ago. On that day Corneo picked her as a bride. And on the next she vanished without a trace. She gave it to me just before she did. Just like that. Salt on the wound. Thing cost me a small fortune." "Why did you wanna come down here?" Asked Tifa. "Revenge. I know I need to let go, but I can't. I need closure, cause without it... I'll never be able to move on." "It's fine." Said Cloud. "I agree." Added Y/n. "You can mess with a man all you want, but you never mess with his woman." Leslie looked at Y/n and nodded. Tifa also looked at Y/n. "Thanks." Said Leslie. "And don't you worry, I got you." Barret patted Leslie's shoulder. "You all right."

"That twisted piece of shit!" Barret hissed. "I'm gonna enjoy beating him to a pulp!" "Corneo's mine, and mine alone." Leslie put down. "Huh?" "Please."

The party followed Leslie who lead them back towards the steel door. "Wait outside." He said, unlocking it and entering inside. "Think the kid's gonna be okay going in alone?" Asked Barret. "Let's give him a minute." Said Y/n.

Less than a moment later, Cloud decided to enter with the others following behind. "It's Leslie!" They overheard from the next door over. "Got some urgent info for the Don!" "Oho!?" Corneo peaked his head from behind a box. Y/b gritted his teeth with rage at the sight of the lecherous man. "Come alone?" He asked Leslie. "Course." "Really? Without my little Avalanche kittens? I thought I told you to round them up and bring them to me." "Actually... it's them I came to talk about." "Oh." Corneo gestured for Leslie to get closer. Leslie did just that and took out his gun, aiming at Corneo's head. The kingpin was able to react quickly and twist Leslie's arm, punching his chest and knocking him down. "Leslie. I don't think I need to remind you why I'm down here. Spilling the beans to those escape artists was a serious mistake. And now I'm on Shinra's shitlist! The plate stunt was meant to he an unprecedented tragedy claiming countless innocent lives. But those naughty little kittens organized an evacuation and screwed up the plan." Barret growled. "I'll let you in on a secret. Shinra's going to abandon Midgar and build something close to paradise. I was invited to be a part of it. Don of a new and improved Wall Market. I'll be lucky to live another week. Leslie, I was gonna let you run your own place. Give you a piece of the action. What a shame. Pop quiz time, kiddo! Villains like us only divulge our evil plans in a certain situation. But what is that situation, hm?" "When you think... you've already won." Corneo aimed his gun at Leslie's head. "Goodb-" Y/n had cut the Don off my impaling his chest with his Engine Blade. Corneo groaned as he dropped the gun and his body went limp, falling to the side as Y/n removed dematerielized his blood soaked blade. Tifa's eyes widened in shock, but she realized that either he had to die, or Leslie would. Y/n extended his hand which Leslie took and rose to his feet. "I know it's not how you wanted it to end, but it had to be done." "It's alright. Either way, the world is better off without him." He took out the pendant as he others reunited with the two. "Now with Corneo gone, I have nothing else to do." "That's not exactly true." Said Tifa. "What do you mean?" Her red eyes looked down onto the pendant. "She could still be out there. Waiting for you." "You never know until you know, ya know?" Added Barret. Leslie smiled. "Thank you. Now let's get outta here." Leslie lead them into Corneo's stash room and took a sack.

The group exited the sewers and walked through a scrap yard. Barret took in a deep breathe. "Ah! Taste that sweet Midgar smog!" Tifa giggled. "This way!" Leslie waved as he reached into the sack and took out a grappling gun. "You can practically fly with the souped up motors on these babies. Sector 7 is on the other side of that wall.

"The guns'll get you over and past it, along with any number of obstacles. But, they're one way tickets. So once you start up, there's no coming back." "Thank you." Tifa said. "Didn't tell you before, but we're looking for someone too." Barret informed. "That right? Hope you find em." "You too." Cloud responded. Leslie nodded and took his leave.

The four began to head towards the wall, but Y/n stopped and drew his Drain Lance. "What's wrong, Y/n?" Tifa asked. "Get out now!" Y/n demanded. "Shoot! You are good!" A girl's voice groaned as she jumped from behind a rusted car.

"Why are you following us?" Y/n asked, causing the others to grow confused. "She's been following us?" Barret gasped. "Since back at the slums." The girl laughed. "Even longer than that!" "Who are you exactly?" Tifa asked. "Who am I? Let me introduce myself then!" The girl shed her moogle cloak.

"My name is Yuffie, materia hunger and elite ninja operative for the interim Wutai government." She began to spin materia around her arms and fingertips. "I left my beloved homeland behind to bring an end to Shinra's reign of terror and prove that Wutai's not to be trifled with!" She finished by throwing air punches. The group looked at each other even more confused than usual. "So what do you want with us?" Y/n asked. "I know that you're that Avalanche splinter cell." Barret's eyes widened. "How you know that?" "I'm a big- no... HUGE fan of yours! HQ wishes they could be as cool as you guys! Which brings me to a favor I wanted to ask you. Long story short... I want you to join me. HQ? They just didn't understand, but you guys get it! I, Yuffie Kisaragi, humbly request that you aid me in taking down Shinra once and for all!" "We'd love to help and all, but we're kinda busy trying to find someone." Said Barret. "Does it have anything to do with Shinra?" "It does actually." Tifa answered. "We're heading to topside towards the Shinra building to break her out." Yuffie gasped. "Please! Please! Please! Let me join! With my expert ninja skills, we'd be getting in there easy peasy." "You couldn't even sneak around Y/n." Said Cloud.

Yuffie turned towards Y/n and her eyes widened. "NO WAY! I REMEMBER YOU!" She rushed over to his side and examined him. "Yeah! Prince Y/n Lucis Caelum! What are you doing here?!" "You're a prince!?" Barret gasped. "Please don't make it a big deal." Y/n sighed.  "You know her?" Tifa asked. "Uh... no?" Y/n tried to recall the strange girl who began to ruffle his h/c hair. "How can you not remember me? Maybe this will jog your memory!" She reached into her pocket and took out an arrowhead necklace. Y/n's eyes widened. "I remember! You wouldn't stop crying when I caught you trying to steal it from my coat after we came back from the pool." Yuffie groaned and blushed in embarrassment. "My dad made me give it to you to stop you from crying." "So you know this girl?" Asked Barret. "We met once years ago when my dad signed a peace treaty with Wutai." "And here we are years later." Yuffie smiled as she dangled the necklace. "Can I have it back?" "NO!" Yuffie put it away." Cloud was getting fed up. "Can we please get going?" He began to walk down the path, but Yuffie stopped him. "Hold on you spiky haired jerk! I wanna come with." "No offense Yuffie, but where we're going it's gonna be far from a safe journey." Said Y/n. "We have no idea what's in store for us." "All the more reason to have backup." She smirked. "Now... onward!" Yuffie pointed at the road ahead. The party shared looks of uncertainty, but didn't continue to argue with the stubborn and energetic girl.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Revive By HoneyB

Fanfiction

11.5K 434 19
Two weeks after the final battle against Sephiroth, Cloud's past has come back. Visions of his parents haunt him in his dreams and since he is severe...
234K 4.4K 75
Y/N L/N an ex soldier who wants to work as a mercenary but he suddenly meets two people he hasn't seen in five years and maybe more people. I don't o...
15.9K 798 107
Dr. Jocasta Ernchester and Dr. Lucrecia Crescent had grown up together, studied together, worked for Shinra together. Jocasta has come to loath Shinr...
268 23 3
Y/N L/N. A young man born in Wutai. A man with a complicated past, escaped from Shinra's clutches and saw an advertisement for an organization whose...