The Fine Line We All Walk (Ha...

By Warzan86

Balance between Heaven and Hell has always been maintained, mostly because of Extermination Day and the demon... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Questions
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Finale
Extras

Chapter 8

66 4 0
By Warzan86

Act One

Michael summoned a table with two chairs as he sat down and motioned for Cross to do the same. Cross did so quickly as he watched Michael summon a teapot with tea cups next, his stalwart expression never changing as he poured himself and Cross a cup of tea.

"So, been many, many years since we last talked, hasn't it?" Michael spoke as Cross gently took his teacup in his hand.

"Yes sir, ever since I completed my first round on the Pride level of Hell. When I returned, you had left, with a simple message telling Sera that I was ready," Cross took a sip of his tea as he inhaled the fragrant, wonderful smell of cinnamon and milk. "But sir, I wanted to ask, ready for what?"

"Do you know why I chose you as my student, Cross?"

"No...sir?"

"It was because you, unlike any of the other agents, had this wrath inside you, a feeling that not only could be controlled, but unleashed when the time called for it." Michael sipped his tea as Cross listened curiously. His teacher had changed his looks from before, as he had long, golden hair, a clean shaven face, rigid jaw, and calm, golden brown eyes. He wore a hoodless robe with gold accents now, long beautiful ribbons that trailed behind him when he walked.

"So, I'm to believe that you picked me because I have anger management?" The sarcasm that came from Cross shocked both himself and Michael as the two stared at each other. "A-Apologies sir..."

"Think of it as you will, but no, I did not pick you just because of that. You also had a willingness to do right, even if it meant cutting down a few or pushing others out of the way to achieve it. Ruthless, but calculated. I know your wrath derives itself from your scars and your past while you were on Earth, but to carry it with you as an angel? To this day, I am surprised you did not fall, and I am glad you didn't." Michael took a sip of his tea as Cross set down his cup, a dark gaze about his eyes.

"Why won't you tell me about how I died?" Cross asked as Michael set down his cup.

"After all I've done for Heaven, the High One, you, everyone! I've earned-!"

"You've earned nothing," Michael cut Cross off as the angel bit his tongue and looked away.

"But you do deserve an explanation," Cross looked back up at Michael, who waved his hand and suddenly, an image came up of a massive battle but the camera was too far away for Cross to see what kind.

"It was the 15th of July, 1099. Do you know why this date is so important, Cross?"

"If I recall correctly from the days I spent in Heaven's library, it was the day the first Holy Crusade retook the holy land, Jerusalem. There had never been a more glorious battle, nor a more disgusting massacre of the civilians living inside it at the time."

"Indeed, but this crusade would soon be the start of Jerusalem being under Christian control for the next two hundred years. Many were killed here..." The camera zoomed in on the battle outside of Jerusalem's walls, loud yelling as the crusaders pushed against their enemies, hoping to reach the walls and claim what they so desired. The camera suddenly panned to a crusader whose skill with his long sword earned him victory over three enemy combatants who had charged him in vain. Cross felt his mind suddenly become pierced with pain as he closed his eyes and held his head.

"Even you...Peter." Cross opened his eyes as he looked up to the screen to see the crusader take his sword and ram it through the throat of the final soldier of the three that had charged him. Pulling it out with a flick, he got blood over his face and helmet, causing him to remove the helmet that blocked his vision. Cross's eyes widened as he saw himself, bloody, bruised, dirty, sweaty, and roaring with life as he raised his sword to the air and pointed it forward, leading a charge with a few other crusaders who charged with him.

"Named after one of the disciples who followed the High One's Son, once you became of age, you became a crusader and became part of the first crusade to successfully retake Jerusalem. In Heaven, me, the Old Court, and the High One watched this battle, knowing of the significance this battle meant to all who fought in it. It was late afternoon when the walls were breached and stormed by the crusaders and yourself," Michael narrated the silent movie as Cross watched himself killing multiple men who dared raise a weapon to him or his brothers.

"Not even an hour later, the battle was done." Cross watched the video fast forward as he saw himself and the other crusaders cheering as the flag of the enemy fell behind them. He could almost taste the iron on his tongue, feel the adrenaline in his veins, hear the roar of the crowd and the smell of burning wood and flesh. Yes! Yes! He could remember this fight! Cross stood up quickly as the pain from his head subsided and he turned to Michael.

"My name was Peter Richter! I was a captain of a small unit of crusaders during the first crusade...but that's it...I can't...wait no, no, this can't be my whole life! How did I die?" Cross demanded answers, and with a flick of Michael's wrist, the video cut to the point of view of Cross searching a smoldering building.

"You were looking for survivors of the carnage. No infidel, as you called them, were meant to be left alive. You killed women, children, even babies in the name of your crusade. So much bloodshed, even though all were made equal in the High One's eyes." Cross watched his hands punch through a burning wall as he tore it down and soon came upon a woman, speaking a tongue he didn't know, holding two crying babies in her arms. They were swaddled in wet cloths to prevent them from being scorched on their bodies. She screamed at Cross tears falling down her dirty, burned face.

"You were situated to go to Hell with your other brothers for the crimes you had committed but then, for some reason, your fate changed because...you did." Cross watched him approach the woman as she held the crying children tightly in her arms. But instead of taking and harming the children, Cross gently knelt down and translated to the woman through hand motions the exit. She stared at him with teary eyes as she seemed to breathlessly give her thanks before weakly standing and going through the hole Cross made. Cross watched her make her way out to the outside where two other crusaders caught her causing her to scream.

"Stop! RELEASE HER!" Cross yelled, in both the video and present time. The crusaders didn't hear him over the screams of the babies in the woman's arms. Cross watched the crusaders take their swords and place them on the babies necks. Both Michael and Cross turned away as the sounds of the babies cries were cut short. The mothers screaming was now mixed with wild crying  but it too was snuffed short by the two crusaders and their blades. Cross yelled in agony at the video but what caught him off guard, was the sudden snap of the building as he watched himself look up. What met his gaze as the roof collapsing on him, and the last thing Cross heard himself say before the rubble buried him was, "Forgive me, oh Lord...I have sinned..."

"It was there, and your selflessness to rescue the children that washed away all of your past transgressions and earned you your spot in Heaven, Cross. Even your name was gifted to you by the High One himself, consider yourself blessed." Michael shut the video off just as the rubble crushed Cross, ultimately killing him. Cross felt tears in his eyes as he closed them, letting the hot tears flow down his face. He remembered what Alastor had asked him back on the roof of V Tower. The question as to how he was an angel ripped through him as he didn't have an answer at the time and still doesn't now.

"I deserve damnation..." Cross muttered, turning to his right and leaning over slithtly. Suddenly, he noticed Michael in front of him. He looked up but was caught off guard by Michael smacking him across the face. Cross felt his mind go blank as he held his cheek and looked up at Michael who had a tight look on his face.

"Never say those words. If you deserved it, the High One would have made it so. Yet He brought you up here and introduced me to you. He told me to train you in a way that would allow you to use your wrath for truth and justice. So, I did, and sent you to Hell to fix the problems that were being presented to it by the very inhabitants that exist there. When you returned, I knew there was nothing left to teach you, and I still believe that there is nothing left to teach you." Michael placed a hand on Cross's shoulder as he walked by him, heading to the door. Cross's mind whirled as he turned to Michael, watching his robe sway behind him.

"Michael!" Cross called to the Archangel as he stopped and turned to him. Cross stood up and bowed his head to Michael, a silent thanks to all he had been shown today. Michael returned the head bow as he turned and left through the door, leaving Cross alone in the room. The table disappeared as Cross sighed and then raised his head. A determined look rested in his eye, signaling he was ready for the next chapter of his mission. Meanwhile, Michael walked into the lobby of the building as he looked at Emily and Sera who were sitting next to another in the lobbies chairs. They stood for Michael as he approached them.

"Keep me updated on this mission. If Cross fails, I will take things from there," Both Emily and Sera nodded as the Archangel walked by them and disappeared in a bright flash, leaving the two women to ponder what he and Cross had talked about.

Act Two

Cross walked down the street, having received advice from Sera to go back to the agency and get equipped for the upcoming mission. He approached a small building that was colored an aquamarine blue and went inside through the front glass door. He walked up to a receiving counter as he saw a golden bell on the counter. He picked up the little hammer next to it as he rang it ten times. The sound echoed off the empty lobby, which housed blue cushioned chairs, white tile flooring and plastic ceiling covers. Suddenly, the lobby shifted and morphed as Cross found himself standing in the middle of a massive lab, with angels quickly moving to and fro. In their hands were strange devices and what seemed like weaponry as they tended to different mask covered E.V.E agents.

"Cross!" A female angel wearing glasses and a lab coat rapidly approached Cross. Her face was pointed and petite which matched her body but she was smaller than Cross height wise. Her eyed were a gorgeous amber color as she held out her hand for Cross to shake in which he did. She had beautiful white hair and a large smile to accompany her looks.

"Lucille, nice to see you again. What do you have for me?" Cross asked. Lucille turned and waved for Cross to follow her. He walked after her, passing by nearby employees and agents as he did so. The two reach a room that has Lucille written on the glass indicating this was her piece of the office. Stepping inside, Lucille leads Cross to a large silver table, where gear was laid out for him. The area around the table was a mixture of machinery and vials that seemed to contain chemicals of some sort.

"So, I've gotta ask, how is the invisibility and hologram tech working?" Lucille asked, picking up a clipboard.

"Decently well. Helped me with one of the demons, her name is Carmilla. When we fought, it became apparent to me that her skill and weaponry were a cut above average so I didn't want to risk anything." Cross reached into his coat and pulled out two electronic pucks, one glowed orange and the other glowed white. He set them on the table as Lucille gently picked them both up and examined them both. She let out a disappointed sigh as she threw them behind her, catching Cross off-guard as they hit the ground and broke apart.

"You didn't happen to be caught in an explosion of any sort did you? They seemed to have taken bludgeoning damage to the outside of them making them no longer work properly," Lucille glared at Cross as he stayed silent, but his face couldn't hide his guilty look. Lucille grumbled as she set down the clipboard then slammed her hands on the table which made Cross jump slightly.

"You break any of my new toys and I'll make sure the next toy I make for you clips your fucking wings, got it?" Cross nodded quickly as she grinned and stepped back for Cross to observe the gear.

"First, I know last you visited me, you asked about if I could give you arm guards. Look no further than this!" Lucille held up a pair of leather arm guards, that are embossed with the design of a cross on both of them.

"I asked for silver, Lucille, not leather..."

"Oh hush! This leather is tougher than steel! Tested to be immune to slashing from demonic AND angelic weaponry as well as bullets! I heard that you encountered a new breed of bullets down in Hell! Hellfire, that's what you called them right?"

"Something like that. Carmilla's daughters had rifles loaded with them. I'm heading back to Carmilla to question her about it, but I want to be prepared." Cross took the leather arm guards from Lucille as he removed his coat and set it on the table along with his mask. He rolled up his shirts sleeves and went about attaching the arm guards. It felt like second nature to Cross, especially after the memory recovery from Michael earlier. Lucille eyed the bandaging barely visible under Cross's shirt as she leaned forward.

"You got hurt?"

"Burned. The demon I was after pulled a potion out of nowhere and uncorked it, making the entire floor we were on explode. The potion maker is under an overlords control, so I don't know what was inside it." Suddenly, Lucille ran a hand up his arm as Cross blinked and looked at her. She had a quizzical look on her face and then she smiled as her eyes lit up with a bright light. A chair appeared under Cross as she pushed him into sitting on it. Before Cross could argue, she rolled his sleeve all the way up to his shoulder and observed the bandaging.

"Lucille! What on earth-!?"

"Shut it and let me see..." Lucille started undoing the bandages as Cross looked away, unsure how to approach the situation. Lucille's eyes narrowed as she took a good look at his burn, the scarring traveling up and down his entire shoulder and forearm. She touched it as Cross flinched slightly which made her pull her hand back.

"Does it hurt?"

"No, your fingers are cold. Of course it hurts...some," Cross muttered. Lucille chuckled as she fully removed the bandages and, with a clap of her hands, fresh bandaging appeared in a roll in front of her. She grabbed it as she began applying it to Cross's burn, gently wrapping it around as she hummed.

"I appreciate it, Lucille..." Cross said as Lucille giggled.

"Thanks from you? Well color me impressed,"

"Hey, I say thanks naturally!"

"Grunting or muttering doesn't count as a thank you, Cross. Lift your arm," Upon Lucille's order, Cross lifted his arm and allowed her to finish applying the bandages.

"There! All better!" Cross grunted, "Thanks," to her which made Lucille grab his ear.

"Hey! Say it properly!"

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Fine! Thank you!" Cross said loudly, prompting Lucille to let go as he rubbed his ear. After this interaction, Lucille went about introducing the rest of the gear she prepared for him.

"I was told by Sera you were taking on a potential usurper, perhaps a fallen angel, and other demons! So, I know you carry holy bullets in your sidearm, but I have a new make for you! Just passed the testing stages!" Cross opened his palm as his pistol appeared and he grabbed the handle before he set the golden mechanism on the table. Lucille hummed as she went about disassembling and reassembling the sidearm. Her hands were engulfed in light, acting almost like welding tools as she reshaped the sidearm. Once she finished with the reshaping, she reached into her lab coat pocket and pulled out a rotating chamber that glowed a unique light, not white or golden, but an orange color. She inserted the rotating chamber into the sidearm and spun it before handing it back to Cross.

"Your pistol now has far superior firepower to your previous make! But, unfortunately, you'll need to start wearing this," Lucille held a standard leather holster in her hands as Cross aimed down his new sight. The holster had what seemed like scriptures embossed on it as he side eyed it. He was right handed with his pistol as his hand fit perfectly on the grip and trigger.

"Why do I need that?" Cross asked as he turned to Lucille, still eyeing the holster.

"Well, your pistol is stronger, but there's a slight issue. It needs to be charged with your energy you put in it. The holster connects itself to your well of power and sends it into the pistol! But, the upside is, no one can use it against you! If someone ends up getting your pistol, and tries to fire it, the pistol will test their power, almost like it's tasting it, and then it will release an electrical shock capable of incapacitating an overlord!" Lucille rambled on and on about the perks of this pistol as Cross threw the holster around his body and attached it. He inserted his sidearm into the holster as he felt a warmth pass through his body and head to the pistol, making it illuminate. The scriptures became illuminated as well as Cross put his trench coat back on, covering his shirt and holster.

"Anything else?" Cross asked as Lucille cut her rambling short.

"Hand me your mask," She said. Cross looked at her in confusion but handed her his prized mask as she began pressing the hidden buttons on the back. After a moment, the mask began to morph and change. The brain like design on the top of the mask morphed into a smooth, clean design on top with etchings of a cross on the back of it. The visor hardly changed as Lucille handed the mask back to Cross.

"There, just a few updates. I'll let you figure them out by yourself." She teased Cross as he took the mask back from her.

"I appreciate it Lucille. Truly." Cross turned to leave but Lucille gripped his arm as she smiled at him.

"Oh, there's one more thing..." She said which made Cross raise an eyebrow at her.

Act Three

Back down in the Pride level of Hell, in Carmilla's compound, Carmilla sat at her desk, writing on some papers. Zestial was visiting her, sipping on a cup of tea as he saw the hard look on her face.

"Carmilla, is it just me, or have you been making that face more and more recently? It's dangerous, sexy~" Zestial's compliment brought a sly smile to Carmilla's face, but it was short lived as her tight frown returned.

"Zestial, why did you save that angel? They never discovered his body, and before the video feed cut, I saw your magic envelop him. So please, elaborate for me, why save the enemy?" Carmilla's question caught Zestial off guard but he set down his teacup on his plate and took a breath.

"Well...it's a bit complicated," Carmilla stood up from her desk and approached Zestial as she leaned down and stared into his many eyes. After her battle with Cross, Zestial had healed her wounds and her daughters, bringing production of weapons back up to speed. She had new reinforcement on her legs that shown and shined beautifully when she walked.

"Then enlighten me," She ordered Zestial, who sighed.

"This wasn't Cross's first visit to Hell. As you are aware, I became overlord along with a few others during the massive Civil War Hell faced many years ago."

"Of course I remember. I became an overlord four months after the war with your assistance. But tell me, what does Cross have to do with your position?" Zestial smiled as he sipped the remainder of his tea before responding.

"Cross-Off, as he was previously called by the elder overlords, assisted in my and others upbringing of becoming overlords. He carefully selected candidates to bring into positions of power, knowing we would be able to extinguish the war by force or contract. I am an overlord today because of my experience and power, but it wouldn't have started without Cross's help." Carmilla blinked in surprise at Zestial's words, she never took him as someone to ask for help.

"I see...but why help him? Because you owed him for his help?" Carmilla went back around her desk and sat down in her chair as Zestial chuckled.

"Yes...and no. You must admit that Cross, even though he is incredibly violent, has a taste and understanding of our situation better than any angel ever could. Though I was incredibly upset at what he did to you and your daughters, because of his, Alastor's, and my work, the V's are nothing more than servants now!" Carmilla had to admit that he had a point, because of Cross, the stain the V's had to the name of overlord was now gone, leaving a gap that was being filled by Carmilla, Zestial, and Alastor.

"As much help as he was, I hope to never see him again. One encounter with him was enough to know what he was capable of, and it showed that my knowledge of angels is extremely limited." Carmilla finished just as a knock sounded out from the doors leading to the hallway.

"Enter," Carmilla said as Zestial poured himself another cup of tea. Into the room came Carmilla's two daughters and a demon behind them. This demon had curled, long horns on his head, pitch black sclera and orange pupil eyes, a sunken face that was stained black, and cracks along his face that resembled burning, cracked wood. His hair was tar black and messy that even seemed to be smoldering. His body wore an old set of armor, layered plate and chain mail that covered his legs, chest, back, and arms. His fingers were claws, sharp and glowing red at the edges. The two overlords stared at this demon with entrigue as the daughters shut the door behind him and stayed in the room.

"Mother, this demon is asking questions about our line of Hellfire. I insisted that even though we had a short supply and couldn't give him our supply, he said it was urgent business that he discussed it directly with you." The white haired, glasses wearing demon spoke to Carmilla, her eyes reflected that of exasperation and confusion.

"Well, since you couldn't listen to my daughters, demon, I take it this issue with my line of Hellfire must be desperate, so, how do you expect me to help?" Carmilla asked. The demon eyed her and Zestial, the two overlords returned the same quizzical glare before the demon chuckled.

"I thank you for letting me have this meeting with you, Carmilla. These weapons you are selling are quite important to me."

"Why is that? If it's an angelic problem, then you need to understand you aren't the only demon in Hell facing this problem." Carmilla narrowed her eyes as the demon nodded his head.

"I'm aware. But you make it sound that no one in Hell has these weapons yet,"

"They don't. The weapons are still in the experimental phase, and most likely won't ever be released until we fix a problem. So, depending on your pocket book, we'll see how quick we can get the weapons to you." The demon hummed as he raised his hands up to his chest, a gold ring on his left hand as he gripped it and pulled it off his hand. Suddenly, the demons looks began to rapidly change as the familiar aquamarine trench coat caught Carmilla's gaze. The two daughters quickly backed away from the demon as a pair of heavenly wings shot out from behind his back. The face disappeared as a smooth visor with blue eyes and a mouth appeared. Carmilla and Zestial's eyes widened as Cross now stood in front of them, pocketing his ring and sighing, popping his neck.

"Much better...now, care to help a poor sinner out?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

601K 13.5K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
313K 6.9K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
7.7M 352K 65
For years angel academy has taught students of all races and ability's, angels, werewolves, vampires, dragon riders, you name it. The school was cre...
4.5M 139K 105
"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out o...