Altruism | Part Three : Sacri...

By ScarlettSinger

"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in... More

Cast - Season Three
Episode One
Episode Three
Episode Four
Episode Five
Episode Six
Episode Seven
Episode Eight
Episode Nine
Episode Ten
Episode Eleven
Episode Twelve
Episode Thirteen
Episode Fourteen

Episode Two

1.9K 55 4
By ScarlettSinger

{I obviously figured out how the gifs work, turns out I just needed to update my computer, which should've been obvious since the computer kept telling me to update but I'd always ignore it. I really don't deserve my computer. Please keep voting on Episode Fifteen in Part Two question I have at the end, I'm still keeping track, just laying down the groundwork for Season Three, which will be a big one. Anyways, so now we're on season 3, I will probably have longer episodes because I have my own side plot I'm now really putting in and there are only fourteen episodes, so I need to make sure that it all fits. I'm sorry I've been putting out four short episodes now. There are also medical inaccuracies at the bottom of the chapter, but just go with it, please}

"Listen up. In the wake of recent events, several changes have been instituted department-wide. Officer Bradford, you want to read the top line change?" Grey says, starting roll call.

""Any officer requesting a copy of a police report must get written approval by a sergeant. After use, all copies must be destroyed. Failure to do so will result in discipline.""Tim reads aloud with Ana standing next to him.

"Officer West?" Grey calls on Jackson next.

""Every recruit in the academy must now report all contact with active-duty officers, no matter how small."" Jackson reads aloud.

"And Officer Nolan." Grey finishes.

""No officer shall buy, own, or possess a phone, without also providing the department with the number."" Nolan reads aloud.

"Do I have to tell my girlfriend about it, too?" Smitty asks, making everyone laugh.

"These changes are necessary. What Nick Armstrong did has tarnished the badge and made all of our jobs harder. We have to prove to the community that we are still worthy of their trust. And I know each and every one of you will go the extra mile to do that. To business. Among our new faces is Officer Doug Stanton. Where you at?" Grey says.

"Here, sir." Stanton raises his hand.

"Officer Stanton will be taking over the training of Officer West. And finally, we've been asked to man the Fourth Street Community Center this week. Harper, Nolan, you're up. Cabrera, you're back with Bradford and Chen" Grey assigns.

[Timeskip]

"how are your grandparents doing after everything?" Lucy asks as they grab the gear.

"oh" Ana murmurs, softly, it's only been a day since they left and she hasn't told anyone yet. "they left"

"they left?" Lucy questions, confused.

"yeah" Ana sniffles. "they found some retirement home about two hours from here, said that after being kidnapped and everything... it felt too much like Cuba, they didn't feel safe"

"wait, so they just up and left?" Lucy asks.

"yeah" Ana whispers.

"oh Ana" Lucy says, rubbing her arm.

"I just-... I wanted to keep them safe, I wanted to be able to make them happy after everything they've been through" Ana explains, softly, trying not to cry.

"no, I get it, I do, you're a helper" Lucy assures her.

"I'm happy for them and I want them to be happy, it just hurts that I couldn't make them feel safe and happy" Ana sniffles.

"honey" Lucy sighs, hugging her.

Tim walks over seeing the scene. He reaches over the two girls and grabs the gear bags before gently separating Ana from Lucy and guiding her out to the shop with Lucy following after.

[Timeskip]

"Grey's right. We need to rededicate ourselves to doing this job the right way, which means the last 25 days of your training are gonna be even more intense." Tim decides, trying to get both of them back on track.

"We should check the chop shops, see if anyone brought my car in." Lucy says.

"That's what you're focused on? Even as parts, your car is worthless." Tim scoffs.

"Not to me." Lucy answers.

"Let the hunk of junk go and focus on the end of your training." Tim recommends.

"Is that what you would do? Let someone get away with stealing the thing that means the most to you? The only constant in your life for the last 10 years?" Lucy points out.

"It's a car." Tim says.

"It's the only place -- Never mind." Lucy decides.

"The only place what?" Tim asks.

"Where I felt safe... after Caleb." Lucy finishes.

Ana reaches forward and holds Lucy's hand as a show of silent comfort.

"There's a chop shop on Melrose. We'll start there." Tim decides.

[Timeskip]

"7-Adam-19, show us Code 6..." Tim says over the radio.

"Get out of my car." A woman yells.

"...for an on-view 415." Tim finishes.

"Get out! This is your house. Get out -- now!" The woman yells.

"What's going on?" Ana asks, softly.

"This drunk giant is in my back seat. We landed here 20 minutes ago, and he refuses to get out!" The woman explains.

"Sir, get out of the car, please" Ana asks, softly.

"Can you please stand on the sidewalk?" Tim requests of the woman who nods.

"Don't hurt the car. It's my only source of income." The woman pipes up.

"What is the goal of this call, Officer Cabrera?" Tim asks Ana, wanting her to get out of her head.

"To get him out of the car, sir" Ana replies, softly.

"Wrong. It is to get him out of the car without making things worse. Now, do you think you can get him out without relying on your weapons?" Tim questions.

"yes, sir" Ana agrees, softly.

"Really? A Tim Test right now?" Lucy scoffs.

"Our goal as police officers should be to de-escalate whenever possible." Tim replies.

"This from the guy who set me up to fight a suspect on day one?" Lucy raises an eyebrow.

"It's not your test, Chen, Cabrera, you game?" Tim asks turning to Ana.

"yes, sir" Ana says, softly.

"Great. So, here's the deal. You start with 100 points. Reach for anything on your belt, and you lose points. Baton is 10. Taser equals 15. If you take out your gun, that's 50. Leave this call with 85 points or less, and you lose and I write up a blue page on you. Getting one of those at this stage of your training would be a real problem." Tim explains.

"Okay, can I earn points, sir?" Ana asks, softly.

"Absolutely. You get him calm, 5 points. He agrees to get out of the car, 10. You get him to apologize to the driver, 20 points. But if you use any of your weapons, game over -- you lose." Tim finishes.

"Hi, sir, my name is Officer Cabrera" Ana says, softly, approaching the car.

"ooh, two pretty girls" The drunk man says.

"you can come out and see both of us" Ana offers, softly.

"You're trying to trick me. They told me all about that in the Marines." The drunk man replies.

"You're a Marine, sir?" Ana asks, softly.

"two tours in country" The drunk man answers.

"thank you for your service, sir" Ana replies, softly. "did you have any family to come home to?"

"My mom died while I was over there" The drunk man replies.

"I'm so sorry" Ana frowns, softly. "um, my mom died and I couldn't help her either. But I-... I decided that while I couldn't save her, I could save others and that she'd always be looking down on me. I know how hard it is, and I can't imagine how hard it is for a veteran, acclimating back with civilian life, but we need to keep going"

"what are ya saying, pretty lady number 2?" The drunk man burps.

"I'm saying that if you stepped out of the car and got some water, you could keep going, live the life your mom would want you to live" Ana says, softly.

The drunk grumbles for a minute before getting out.

"Sorry" He says to the woman, before entering his house.

"Have a great day, ma'am." Tim says once they finish.

"Oh! Uh, just wait one second. Have you seen this car while you've been driving around?" Lucy asks, stopping the woman and showing her the flyer.

"Mm. Super cute." The woman smiles.

"Yeah, thanks." Lucy says.

"You know what? I did see it." The woman remembers.

"Where?" Lucy asks.

[Timeskip]

"There it is." Tim observes as they pull up to the car.

"Somebody's inside." Lucy realizes as they get out of the shop.

"Control 7-Adam-19, occupied 10-8-5-1, Wilshire Normandy Station." Ana says over the radio.

"Stop right there! Put your hands on top of your head. Fingers interlaced." Lucy says, arresting a young girl.

"You are under arrest for auto theft." Lucy continues.

"No. You don't understand. I didn't steal the car. The guy who owns it lent it to me, but he lost the keys." Tamara lies.

"I'm the guy who owns the car." Lucy responds.

"You didn't even lock it. What did you expect?" Tamara points out.

"Yeah, well, it doesn't lock." Lucy frowns.

"It does now." Tamara answers.

"What? How did you fix it?" Lucy questions.

"It was easy. Just popped off the door panel. Took like two minutes." Tamara shrugs.

"Wait, are you living in here? How old are you?" Lucy asks, looking into the car.

"17." Tamara responds.

"What happened to your parents?" Ana asks, softly.

"Dead." Tamara dead pans.

"Alright, anything in here that's gonna stick me? Needles, knives?" Tim asks as him and Ana go through the car.

"No." Tamara answers.

"How long have you been living on the street?" Lucy frowns.

"A year. Careful with that!" Tamara yells when Ana picks up a teddy bear.

"sorry" Ana says, softly, setting it back down gingerly.

"Oh. Sorry. Must be hard living like this." Lucy says.

"What do you care?" Tamara questions.

"Uh...I-I'm not gonna press charges. Here, stand up." Lucy decides.

"Seriously?" Tamara asks, surprised.

"Yeah, it's my car, my prerogative." Lucy responds.

"Boot --" Tim starts.

"We'll get you set up over at a children's shelter, alright?" Lucy offers.

"Oh, you don't have to. I got someplace else I can go." Tamara answers.

"Does it have doors that lock and people that care about you?" Lucy asks.

"You know how many times I got my stuff stolen from there? And it's too far from school." Tamara responds.

"you still go to school?" Ana asks, softly.

"Yeah. I do. And I get good grades. Any more dumb questions?" Tamara snarks, obviously disliking Ana.

"Look, I don't want to make getting to school hard for you, but I don't have a choice here, so it's either jail or the shelter. But I won't just dump you there, okay? I'll -- I'll help you find a permanent place." Lucy offers.

"Is she for real?" Tamara asks Tim.

"Officer Chen, a word. You, stand here, hands on the car. Cabrera watch her." Tim orders.

Ana stands next to Tamara, making sure she doesn't do anything while she waits for Tim and Lucy to return.

"what?" Tamara asks, harshly, to Ana.

"Nothing, sorry" Ana frowns, softly, taking a step back.

[Timeskip]

Ana walks into the girls bathroom to hear someone crying.

"Angela?" Ana calls, softly.

There is no response. Ana tries all of the stalls before finding the one where Angela is. Ana finds her scrunched over in pain, clutching her stomach.

"Angela" Ana gasps.

"Officer Cabrera, I need RA in third floor Mid-Wiltshire girls bathroom" Ana says over the radio, falling to her knees to try to help Angela as best as she can.

[Timeskip]

"what is it?" Ana asks, softly, standing up when Wesley enters the waiting room.

"the stress" Wesley sighs. "it's hurting the baby."

"how badly?" Ana questions, softly.

"bad, doctors are saying we either find a surrogate mother tonight or the baby is gone" Wesley replies.

"oh" Ana deflates, exhaling.

"how's Angela?" Ana asks, softly.

"she's a mess, she was so worried at first but now the idea of being a mother is in her head and losing the baby... it's killing her" Wesley responds.

"you said the doctors say the baby could be saved with a surrogate mother?" Ana questions, softly.

"yeah, but there's no time to find one" Wesley sighs.

An idea pops up in Ana's head.

"what about me?" Ana asks, softly.

[Timeskip]

Ana waits patiently for Tim to answer her call.

"what's up, cupcake?" Tim asks.

"hi, so I might've done something a little stupid" Ana starts, sheepishly with a smile on her face while she signs paperwork for being a surrogate mother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

451 9 5
This story takes place in the streets of "Las AngelDust." We follow a group of 7 kids, Junovi, Rio, Aiyanna, Paolo, Ornella, Zy, and Makani. This is...
20.1K 378 17
you and me can be what we want to be / don't you let this come falling down me / I can hold it in my arms / and I don't expect anything in return | p...
13.1K 128 20
One shots, some on the longer side. Mostly stories imagined to be in between episodes. Depth and love! Keep in mind I'm British so i apologise for an...
55.4K 1.4K 21
"Let me be your light at the end of the tunnel" - Ana Cabrera Ana Cabrera is a Cuban immigrant. She lives in a three bedroom apartment with her grand...