Two Birds [ONC 2024]

By nkvenus7878

An Open Novella Contest 2024 Book. Prompt used: Prompt no. 88 Your father is forcing you to marry someone you... More

Author's Note
Unannounced Guest
Wedding Preparations
New Family
Truth Reveal
Flutter of Hope
Shedding Hopes
The Bird
Chain of Sheets
New Abode
Search for Work
A Moment of Pure Love
Last Moments
Witches
Peaceful Ending

Escape Plans

9 3 2
By nkvenus7878

Twelve Days Later

Everything seems lost.

Catherine has been with me most of the day for the past twelve days, helping me to present myself to the innumerable guests. Not once in these days could we make use of the opportunity of our close quarters.

Everything was occuring against our hopes. The wedding preparations were more than done. All the guests had arrived and...I had been engaged.

The engagement day, a week ago, was probably the worst day of my life, unless I was to consider my future wedding day. Catherine kept consoling me every now and then, trying to keep me calm, but I was losing my patience. I knew I had to do something within the next two days or it would be too late.

Fortunately, today I had all the freedom, since my father thought it was better for me to enjoy myself for this day. He believed that the next day I would be caught up with my wedding preparations and the day after tomorrow it was my wedding day. So today was the day I could spend with my own accord.

Hurrying through the corridors, I banged open Catherine's room, startling her instantly.

"What in the world Jess!" she complained as she looked down at the dropped jug and mug, water spilled on the floor. "You scared-"

I did not let her say any further. I hit my lips hard on hers and allowed my adrenaline to wash off.

"Jess...," her voice trailed as I kissed further, not allowing our faces to move apart. Slowly, Catherine moved apart and looked softly into my eyes.

"I can't do this anymore," I spoke with determination. "This wedding, it's all for nothing! I'm so done with this drama Cat!"

She sighed. "Jess, calm down. We will find a way-"

"You've been saying that since before I got engaged!" I exclaimed showing my engagement ring. It was a beautiful ring, having intricate golden designs with a pretty sapphire at its centre. But it held no value to me. I willed to pull it out of my finger at the very instant.

"Jess," she caught my face in her palm, "I know that-"

"Do you even love me?"

Catherine gasped. She was left speechless.

"We must leave," I said conclusively.

A mischievous smile played across her face. "Now you're talking about some fun!"

I rolled my eyes. "It's not fun Catherine!"

"Okay my bird," she curled my hair with her finger. Catherine had begun calling me bird ever since I told her that my father called me the same.

"But where will we go?" I asked.

"Anywhere, but not here," Catherine replied, pecking my cheek. "It may not be possible today since I believe that everyone's eyes will be at your actions. Tomorrow will be our best chance." I nodded as we shared a kiss.

____________________________________

"Hey you! Who gave you the permission of plucking my flower?"

Catherine was running away from me with a beautiful lily in her hand which she had plucked off without my permission from my garden. I was enraged and found myself hunting her down.

"MEEEE!" Catherine cried out giggling. This enraged me further. No one dared to mess with my garden, not even my father who had once plucked off a rose and I had thrown a tantrum. After which he never dared cause my garden any harm even though the garden was his.

An unnoticed pebble made Catherine stumble and fall down on top of a bunch of beautiful daisies and I screamed in horror as her weight crushed those speechless beings.

I went forward to give her a worthy smack but instead, she tripped me with her leg, making me fall on top of her. She immediately connected our faces with a kiss, making me forget all about my anger.

Her fingers slowly traced down my neck, shivering me due to her touch which travelled down further and near to my chest. I gasped as she stopped there, giving me stimulations, but before she could go any further, I stood up.

"We can't be doing this in the open," I said. "It's dangerous."

She grinned as she got up. "Oh, so are you scared my bird?"

I rolled my eyes and before I could've realised, I was being tickled painfully by Catherine. Oh how badly I wanted to run away from her grasp and the tickle which she kept giving, but her grip was tight and I couldn't help but laugh, tears streaming down my face.

"What's going on here?"

The two of us stopped as soon as we heard the French King approach us. He had a broad smile across his face and looked at me to Catherine for a response.

"Hi father, we're having some friendly fun," Catherine replied. "Afterall, this is the last day of her enjoyment in the palace gardens."

"True my dear," he patted her shoulder and looked at me. "It must be hard for you to marry, but like Jess, you will have to do it someday or the other."

"Father!" Catherine exclaimed, shoving away his arm away from her shoulder. "You know I won't be marrying."

King Louis rolled his eyes. "You'll have to eventually Cat. I'm sure you'll find someone for yourself sooner or later."

I smirked at his statement. Of course she had. Little did he know that it was me.

"Jess, word of my advice. Do not panick with the elaborate procedures for the wedding. I know it can get very overwhelming but-"

"Father!" Catherine intervened. "She's had enough of these talks with everyone over the past few days. Let her relax from that for today!"

King Louis sighed. "Alright, you two have fun. Catherine, if you need anything just let me know."

Catherine nodded as the King left. I gave a sigh of relief since he did not suspect anything between us other than friendship.

Slowly, but surely, the next day arrived. The palace was as usual, heated with workers and others working on and on for the next day's wedding. I smirked at how funny the situation was. All these efforts would go for nothing. I would escape today with Catherine and live a life in peace, the way I had always wanted.

However my distant relatives were keeping me engaged, not allowing me to have some time of my own. I was equally worried for if I could not escape today, then I was a lost cause.

"Jess, my dear!"

My maternal grandmother gave me a hug for the millionth time since she came to the palace and pecked my cheek. "You've grown into a beautiful young lady! I cannot believe that soon you'll be off with womanly duties."

I gave a fake smile. Or course I would do none of that, I was not going to follow certain customs by sacrificing my wishes. I wanted to fly, and I would fly, whether or not they tried to cut my wings.

"I remember the day your mother married," grandmother recollected. "She looked as beautiful as you do today. Wish she was alive to witness this auspicious day."

I sighed. Recollecting my mother's memory was the last thing on my mind. When I was little more than a toddler, she had passed away due to some unknown disease. It has been very difficult for me to accept but with the help of Mabel and Steve, I had been able to overcome my sorrow. My father however would always be busy with his duties as a king.

The door to my room opened and in entered Catherine. She smiled at me and gave a gentle bow to my grandmother.

"Greetings Your Majesty," she greeted grandmother, "myself Catherine, Princess of France."

"Oh-oh my sweetheart, there is no requirement of such formal introductions!" she patted Catherine's shoulder. "Me and your grandmother were childhood friends. It's a misfortune that she passed away a few years back."

That was a new information. Who would've guessed that our grandmothers were childhood friends?

"Apparently it's the unbreakable law of universe that anyone who comes must go someday," Catherine replied.

"Indeed my dear," grandmother sighed. "I wish she was here today among us. It would've been such an experience!"

Turning towards me, she said, "But you and Jess can make a history together. I would love to have the two of you as close to each other as I and Angela were."

With that she left the room, leaving us alone.

"When can we?' I asked immediately.

"Not anytime sooner," Catherine shook her head. "Guards are patrolling everywhere. We'll be caught in no time."

I sighed. This was not the way I wanted the day to end. Catherine stepped further and we shared a passionate kiss together. It was a moment of pure love that neither of us noticed when my father entered the room.

Word Count: 1479 Words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
751K 34.1K 28
Princess Charlene was having a normal day at the castle when hell let loose. The enemy kingdom decided to attack and kill the royal family but what h...
663 99 12
Free-spirited homebody Erica doesn't want to be queen. Which is fine, because her single, independent older sister Gemma is more than ready for the j...
479K 6.8K 51
The night after her parents death, she's forced and threatened by the Queen at the age of ten to get engaged to the princess whose father is the murd...