Wedding Preparations

My world shattered. Had I heard it right? I hoped my ears were betraying me.

"What?" The word came out of my mouth involuntarily.

King Frederick smiled. "Yes daughter, you heard it right. King Evans had given this promise to me long back when you were a few months old."

I turned in horror towards father but was deeply shocked upon seeing a wide grin across his face. Why was he happy?

"Oh my friend, how can I forget it?" father said out loud, patting King Frederick's shoulder. "A promise is a promise. And getting my daughter married to your son will be of great honour for us."

They embraced one another while I remained stunned. This could not be real, it cannot be! My father could not force me to marry someone I had never met. He would never chose anyone whom I would dislike but if he did...

My trail of thoughts were cut short by King Frederick's beaming voice. "Looks like your daughter is already daydreaming about my son!"

Father turned towards me and laughed, rubbing his palm against his protruded belly.

"Oh my sweetheart, you don't need to be shy! We are a family now, aren't we Frederick?'

"Yes Evans!" he exclaimed.

I could not stand this anymore. I knew that if I stood there any longer, my patience would subside. Considering which, I turned away and walked out of the room, not looking back at what was the reaction of the two kings who seemingly thought that they could decide my fate on their own.

I sprinted off from the guest wing to the royal family residential wing of the palace. Making my way to my room, I wetted the floor with a trail of incessant tears. Once inside, I threw myself on the bed and cried my heart out.

My father was going to get me married to a far off prince, whom I had neither seen nor met. This was by far the worst nightmare come true. Here I had been pondering about why I felt no attraction towards males unaware that my father had already set me up ever since I was born! Did that mean I had no say in my own life's decisions?

The door to the room opened and in entered father. He approached me and rested his palm on my back.

"My Princess, why are you crying?" he asked in worry. "Should you not be excited about your marriage?"

I faced him with a sorrowful expression. "Excited? How can I be? One fine day the King of Netherlands comes and says that I'm to wed his son, someone whom I've never met nor seen in my entire life! How do you suppose I am to bear that idea?"

The worried expression on father's face changed to a stern expression. He narrowed his eyes as he said. "Does that mean you won't be obeying your father's decision?"

I was speechless. He continued, "Jane, as your father and the King of England, I know what's the best for you. You're only sixteen, you have no knowledge of this world. I've lived through years of experience and I know what's best for your future."

"But I don't want to marry someone whom I've never known!" I exclaimed getting up.

Father was infuriated. He straightened up, standing a few inches taller than me and bellowed, "You will do as I ask you to do. You will marry Prince Henry of Netherlands, whether you like it or not. Take it as an order of your father or that of your King." Saying which he stormed out of the room, leaving me speechless.

Tears spilled down the corridors as I ran to the place of my solace, my garden. It was the only place which gave me comfort in moments of sorrow.

Upon reaching the invigorating garden, I ran up to a flower bed that I had looked after and let myself fall on top of it. The flowers supported me, giving me comfort as I lay on them, crying my heart out. I knew the guards were watching me cry, but they would do nothing to calm me down. After all, they were paid by my father, not by me.