The Wish of a Broken Heart

By LovelyLotus84

They say, "Be careful what you wish for." They say, "There's truth to every story." They say, "Karma's a B***... More

Broken Now and Then
Karma's a Bitch
Preparation is Key
A Friend in Need
Friendship and Discovery
Careful What You Wish For
GLOSSARY
Always Waiting
Turn of Events
Kaliceo
Slavery No More
Meeting, Murder, Merriment
Mystery Tea
Hayati
Travel, Trials, Teamwork
Abhvo
Weekend of Friday the 13th
Awaken
Trouble
Break From The Chaos
At The Base Of The Gurík Kímare Pass
Into Gurík Kímare
Weird is the New Normal
The Unexpected
Meet The Parents
Dear Journal... ~Lía~
All Will Be Right
A Mother's Mind
Lía's Return
So, That Happened
Before The Waters
Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay...
Party Slime
Emerald Twilight
Chance Meeting
The Little Girl
Unspoken
Party Preparation, The Hard Way
Celebrate Life
Visitors and Fairy Tales
To Cadíagor!
Changes Are Coming
Irish Cream & Puppies
An Alliance's Reckoning
Fragile
Lady Marlow's Secret
Last Day in Cadíagor
Varied Partings
Home
Embassy?
Wings
Split Decision
Meeting Sínsëar
Family Is Love
Ku Kí
Delegate, For Sanity's Sake
Mending
Rescuing Ana'el
Attack: Part II
Many Hands
The Divide
Truths Revealed
Checks and Changes
A Momma Dragon
Sleepy Dragon

Attack: Part I

0 0 0
By LovelyLotus84

Dagdh’a’vaní 22nd
Kala’maílaō
06:17

~Cara~

Early morning sunlight filtering through sheer curtains and dangling ivy wake me. I look up at a familiar damask print velvet canopy top. The sheer white curtains are closed, but the turquoise blue velvet they call “sarit,” is pulled open. Beautiful ivy grows in planter baskets along the upper edge, their vines droooing gently. It can't be... I run my hand across the padded headboard to confirm. We are in our room in Tira’s home.

I’m not sick! A wide smile appears at the thought. I look around at the sarit, black, baby pink, and salted driftwood that decorates our room. You would think it wouldn’t work, but it does. The black is only a few accents, for the most part. It really makes the sarit velvet shine. The grey wood pairs well with all of it. No worries there. It looks lovely to us. That’s all that matters.

“Ti’kúe.” Tavi kisses my nose. I’ve figured out I can hear certain words as names in the other languages if I don’t like the translation. Being called “Little One” can become annoying, but it sounds amazing in his language. “Good morning, my love.” His smile is sweet and gentle, but there’s a strained look that appears for a moment.

Well crap. What the heck happened now? Can’t we get a freaking break? I’m tired. He’s tired. I’m trying to create life and go through my own changes. I mean, come on already!

“It will be fine.” He tries to kiss away my scowl. “Come, let’s shower and join the others for the morning meal.” He kisses my nose.

“You know, we call it breakfast. You can, too.” He shrugs and tickles me. I tease him about the names of things like that being different between our worlds. “Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, supper…” I say between giggles. We eat five small meals and multiple snacks throughout the day, so I adapted our words. It isn’t catching on.

We shower quickly when my stomach rumbles. He helps me with my lotion and clothes before a knock on the door stops us. We have been invaded! He runs to the bathroom to get changed while the team helps with my hair and makeup. And here I thought I was escaping for a day. We’re soon finished. Tavi insists on carrying me to a new addition in Tira’s home. A dining hall. This poor child is going to need a city when she decides to settle down.

After eating, another meeting is held to fill us in on everything and to go over safety protocols. I feel terrible for Sin. He’s clinging to Ana. He wants to keep her safe. Unfortunately, we have to leave. Teams break up and bid each other safe travels for the day. Outside, we try to give them privacy. If he could cry, I’m sure his tears would join hers.

“I will learn and monitor from here. My son seems to be catching on quickly to the materials given him and the lessons Her Majesty has given him through the screen.” Sin says with a slight smile.

“I’m glad. How is he doing with the foods and drink?” I ask curiously. Him and Ana both look excited.

“He is enjoying them and finally seems sated. Perhaps it hasn’t been blood he has been craving all this time. I am eternally grateful and will keep on with it.”

“We are glad. We want him sane so we can meet him properly. He is family, after all.” Mum hugs Sin. He seems surprised at first. Joy overcomes his features. He’s been alone for so long. I can honestly say that my brother-in-law is a mountain of a man.

“When this is all over, would it be okay to visit? Maybe we could stay in a cottage nearby so the babies don’t keep you up.” His eyes light up at my question.

“I would,” he takes a deep breath as Ana squeezes his arm, “I would enjoy that.” We hug him and bid him farewell before heading off. Tira’s bird screeches a farewell and lands beside Sin. It butts it’s head against him. Sin pets it as we disappear through the trees.

“ON THE ROAD AGAIN!” We all look at Amanda and laugh as she sings WAY out of key. We’re soon teaching everyone the song and laughing as we leave. Laughing is better than crying.

21:33

The carriage jostling to a sudden stop and shouts of "Take cover!" and "Get inside!" wake me. I hear the kids and a few adults scream right before something hits the side. We’ve been on the road all day with no issues. Now we’re suddenly under attack.

“In here!” I hear Tira scream. I look out to see her moving anyone who can’t fight into the medical wagon. Her door is in there. I scream when a spear nearly hits her chest. She dodges the spear as it cuts her upper arm. I want to shred whoever hurt my baby!

I sigh with relief when her scales cover it and the bleeding stops. I look to see our attackers and freeze. It’s our own people! They’re Reveníre. Why? They don’t look feral.

“MAMA!” Tira screams, trying to run to our little carriage. I’m the only one in it. Larry was driving. Where is he? A long, painful howl pierces the air before a terrifying roar, and the sounds of a massive dog fighting are heard. I scream when one of the attackers grabs Tira.

“Come on out rach’crè. Is this your little edlíduin tübarl? Let’s see if it bleeds.” She sneers and holds a blade to Tira’s neck.

“NO!” I cry out. I can’t get out of the carriage! What the fụck! I need to get out! Tira’s growl stops me and surprises her captor. Fire erupts from Tira’s hands to the woman’s arm, holding her neck. She screams and releases Tira. She puts her hands on the woman’s face. More flames. It looks like the woman is melting. Gross.

Tira runs to the front of the carriage. I’m freaking out. I hear her grunting and something dragging. Somehow, she’s able to open the door. My heart stops when I see who she’s dragging. Larry! There’s a spear sticking out of him.

“Nonononono!” I quickly help her get him in and put him on one of the beds with the aid of the force tiesh. “Don’t pull it, but we have to make it smaller, somehow.”

“Roll him on his side. Hold the pole. I’ll burn it off.” I quickly comply. She places her hands carefully around it and burns the pole. I try my hardest to hold it still as the weight shifts. Larry lets out a pained grunt with each piece. Only a few inches is sticking out of either side now.

“Larry, Tyr, can you hear me?” He weakly opens his eyes, and a little smile appears.

“Ah, my Princess.” He caresses my cheek. I close my eyes and hold his hand to my cheek, trying not to cry. “You know, it took all I had to talk to you on Earth. Larry didn’t know we were sharing a consciousness at times.” A tear slips from my eye. “None of that now." He wipes it away. "I can heal this... with help.” My eyes pop open.

“How? What can we do?” His smile is pained.

“Pour some of that magic water on the wound. Then, one of you has to push it through while the other keeps pouring water on the edges.” I look at him horrified. “You can do it. It’s the only way. You, my girls, my princesses, have to do this.” I want to panic. “If not, I’ll die soon.” That stops me.

“Mama, you pour. My hand is smaller and can fit in the hole.” I nod. We quickly sanitize the wound and Tira’s arm. I pour isilmëmírë water on his back, then start on the front. I keep pouring as she pushes the spear’s post out of his back.

I try not to throw up, watching her arm disappear into his abdomen. I hold the post as she pushes and keeps pouring. It makes a sickening slurp and pop when it comes out. I let it drop when it's clear and quickly pour through the open wound in the back as Tira pulls her arm out. When she’s clear, I pour more through the front wound opening.

We watch in amazement as his wound closes, leaving white scars the size of a tennis ball. We scream when the door flies open, and I grab the spear tip as a weapon. Tavi and Mum are standing there horrified at the blood, but amused at my attempt to defend us. They’re covered in blood.

“Tavi?” I say quietly before crying and dropping the spear tip. He quickly pulls me out and into his arms.

“Tyr, my darling, are you alright?” It’s Beth’s voice. It’s a little deeper and more sultry than Mums.

“I am fine, my Queen. Our pups saved us.” He tries to sit up and groans as dizziness hits him. “Just, lost blood.” Mum and Beth seem to both be present the way she’s fretting over him. Tavi collects Tira in his arms after setting me in their arms and snuggles her close.

“You did so well, but please, don’t ever risk your life like that again.” He attempts to chastise her.

“I wasn’t Papa. My scales and fire protected me. See.” She points to the melted woman from earlier.

“Ḍamn, Baby Princess. You did that?” Larry’s voice is a little lighter than Tyr’s. She nods shyly. “Good job. But I agree with your Dad. That was dangerous. I’m still proud of you, but don’t want to see you hurt. And thank you for saving me. Both of you.” He kisses my temple before reaching to kiss hers.

“Inkosi, Inkássa. Varis and Asàn are injured, and one of the Ash’A Jheili trainees has died. What are your orders?” Sif bows and asks.

“Set up camp ahead. There’s a cave we can use. Send everyone into the door. Bodies, too. We have a clinic and healers in there.” Tira orders. We all look at her proudly.

“Do as she says. We’ll have to collect the bodies. I want to know who came after us. Take the trainee to be cleansed with the healing water. We need them to look less frightening for the family.”

“Oh, yes. There’s one enemy alive. Well, kind of. He’s dying fast. What do you want done?” Tavi jumps up.

“Show me! We may need to save him for questioning.” Sif nods.

“I’ll make a dungeon, Papa!” Tira says a little too cheerfully and leaves quickly. I shake my head before helping Mum with Larry. Outside, I look around at the carnage. Who were they? Why would they attack? Especially now.

“Hey,” I grab one of the soldiers, “do you know where our dead are?” His eyes mist over, and he nods in the direction of the wagon with the door.

“We took the child…” He chokes up a moment. I nod and squeeze his arm in comfort. “He is the age of my oldest. Just a baby. They targeted the children first.” He grits his teeth and fists in anger.

“Take a break. Find Amanda. I want you to talk to her. This can stick with you and cause harm to your life and relationships.” He looks at me hesitantly. I sigh. I can see his reluctance building. “If you don’t work with Amanda, I will have Captain Bellis pull you from duty until she has cleared you.”

“And don’t think I won’t.” We all jump at his approach. “We will all need help after this. If she doesn’t clear a person, they won’t be able to perform their duties properly and safely.” He purses his mouth, and his brow furrows as he looks at the ground. “I’ve seen it before. My own father. Mother wouldn’t allow him home until he sorted his mind.” He looks up at the man, “You will sort your mind before going home. For yourself and your family.”

“I will help set up counseling for after you return home. This one is hard on all of us.” A tear slips from her eye. Mum and I immediately grab her and let her cry. The soldier joins us as we sink the ground. More join us. We shed tears for the Ash’A Jheili boy together.

He was devoted to learning to be a guard and extremely serious most of the time. It took Tira to crack him. She pulled him up to dance when we were on the beach. He tried to gently struggle but gave in because he was afraid of hurting her. He ended up singing, and what came out of him would make any boy-band crazy girl chase him.

His name was long and complicated. It meant ‘reborn of darkness, guardian of stone.’ He asked us to call him Vern. I remember giggling and sharing Jules Verne with him. He was reading ‘Journey To The Center Of The Earth.’ The girls made him a hardcopy of it that looked like a real field journal. He loved it and read aloud to the others.

After fifteen minutes, we settle and start gathering the bodies. They are frozen and placed in a cold cell Tira built. The survivor should be thankful he’s alive, and she made his cell comfortable. She’s a better person than I am.

He rushes the bars and grips them as we come down. As soon as his hands come in contact with them, a scream rips from him, and he’s thrown back. I smell burning and look at his scorched hands. She snickers. Okay, she may be vicious.

“I imbued the bars, walls, and barriers with the enemy barrier spell, my venom, and my fire.” She informs him haughtily. “If you wish to stop the pain, use the basin and shut your mouth. You deserve worse for what you did to my friend.” Her voice turns to a growl, her eyes glow, and fire erupts from her hands. I hug her quickly. I came down to hold the door for them. I'm glad I did!

“Shh baby. It’s okay. The adults will take care of him. Come.”

“Wh-what is sh-she?” The guy shudders in fear. I smirk.

“Ask her father, Duke Kucoatl of the Red Taníyn Flight. You made an enormous mistake.” I hiss. He falls backward and scrambles to get away. Tingling arms encircle me.

“Ti’kúe, my Inkássa, your eyes are glowing, and your fangs are out.” He smirks and holds my hand. “It seems your fur, scales, and claws have manifested.” I look at my hand. They almost look like Mum’s. I smirk before looking at our prisoner.

“Good. I will use them to rip his heart out and present it to the Ash’A Jheili.” Dark chuckles from the Ash’A Jheili echo through the hall. Tavi kisses my cheek.

“And so you shall. Come, the triplets are becoming upset, and our little queen needs to rest.” I nod.

“She-she’s p-pregnant!” The traitor shakes in fear more. I don’t know why.

“SHE is Inkássa Cara, and SHE is carrying THREE ROYALS!” One of the Ash’A Jheili growl. The man wets himself and grovels for forgiveness as we leave. I ignore his pleas and cries for forgiveness. Me being pregnant shouldn’t matter.

“I’m tired.” A silent tear slips from my eye.

“Come. They’ve secured the cave, and everyone is inside now. Let’s go.” Tavi carries both of us with ease. A little giggle escapes us. We cuddle and try to comfort each other. I feel terrible finding pleasure and happiness at a moment like this.

Guilt gnaws at me as we leave the dungeon. The entry door looks like thick iron that shimmers. The magic supporting the bag has blended with Tira’s seamlessly. I feel a slight comfort knowing the enemy can’t leave.

If someone tries to enter the bag or door, they’ll immediately be brought to a holding cell. Tira decided to go easy on them instead of killing them immediately. I’m not sure how I feel about the decision. I suppose it’s good. I would feel terrible if an innocent wandered in while hunting and was killed. They have the kill intent. The magic might not differentiate a hunter from an enemy.

“What Is This!?!” My head pops up at the sound of Sin’s worried voice.

“Sin!” Ana cries, running into his arms. “We were attacked.” She quickly starts talking quickly, her words running together. I hear Vern’s name and see the tears pour. He hugs her gently.

“Take me to him.” We all look to him. “He is reveníre. No more. No less. He is one of mine. Take me to my child.” My shock and surprise is written all over my face.

“Sin. We are washing him and preparing his body at the lake so he can be sent to his parents for his funeral.”

“Funeral?” He looks stunned. “He is reveníre. He will ascend in three days' time if the poison is taken from him. I sense many have been poisoned. I can remove the poison. Gather the injured and take me to him.” It takes a moment to sink in.

“He… he isn’t dead. How?” I hear Tira’s confused voice quiver. Sin smiles gently at her.

“Only the flesh. Once he ascends, it will regenerate stronger, purer.” A confused look crosses his face. “Has this knowledge not been passed? What happens to the bodies of those you’ve laid to rest?” He shakes his head in disbelief, “Your Gudalá were tasked with teaching this. They have failed you.” We need to tell him.

“They are cleaned and purified by the pyre, so they may be sent to the Ancestors with honor. The Gudalá set the burial ceremony long ago.” Sif answers. Sin looks upset. Not at us, but at the knowledge.

“No more. I will teach your healers and Ash’A Jheili how to purify properly. Then, we must anoint the body in oils and wrap him isilmëmírë water soaked cloths. Three days in me, my ascension chamber, and he will breathe once more.” Tira quickly scurried to his side, grabs his hand, and hurriedly pulls him towards the lake.

Tavi hurries to follow. My heart beats rapidly in anticipation. He isn’t dead. His flesh is. The stone is still alive. The stone…

“Tavi, are all your vital organs stone?”

“They are. Most of our body structure contains stone. I… I didn’t know.” The pain and anger in his voice is thick. “We could have saved her... them.” His brow furrows and his teeth grit in anger. I wonder how many people were cremated that could have lived.

We watch Sin nod approvingly at the lake after drinking a handful. He has the injured and Vern laid out in a line. We watch him teach the others how to pull impurities from their bodies. They work from their feet, moving upwards. They are rolled to their sides as they vomit the impurities out. I watch the black oily substance pour from them. It reeks of sulfur, tar, and those nasty old baby vitamins.

“Down!” I quickly tap Tavi and rush to one of the buckets gathered for collecting the poison, and I vomit. I feel him gather the few strands of curls away from the line of fire.

“Let’s get you to bed.”

“But, I want to see…” He chuckles.

“Amanda is recording, and your stomach can’t handle the smell. What you want isn’t necessarily good for you.”

“Fiiiine.” I groan, allowing him to pick me up. I watch them all get cleaned in the lake after the poison is cleared away. They burn the poison. It turns to a bismuth-looking rock. It is quickly gathered up and sealed in a strange box. It reminds me of a box for radioactive material or one of those evil puzzle boxes. Heavens, those things are a pain.

I wish I could watch, but poison is still coming out of Vern. He looks completely dead. I’m glad he isn’t. I just hope he doesn’t wake up bloodthirsty or anything.

“Will he lose his memories? In some books, when someone ascends or goes through a change, they lose their memories.” I worry out loud.

“I don’t know. It will take Sin a few hours to prepare Vern and take him back. I want you to rest in the meantime.” As much as I try to fight, sleep still takes over.

Nightmares. Vivid and terrifying nightmares. Blood and fangs. Teeth and claws. Screams, death, and a river stained red by the blood from the bodies laying nearby. Hippo-like creatures drag the bodies back into the water. They’re consumed by more waiting in the depths.

“Ti’kúe, Ti’kúe. Wake up. It is just a dream. Awaken.” I sit up with a gasp. I’m shaking in fear. “Shh. It is all over. It was only a dream.” He holds me, calming me until the shaking and tears have stopped. “Tell me.”

“It was an attack, I think. A lot of people dead by a river. Their blood turned the river red. Hippo-like creatures drug their bodies into the rivers to other creatures. It was so real.” I say breathily.

“I have heard of this. It is a side-effect of pregnancy, and a few things can help. Kaenaék would know…” A knock on our door interrupts us. “Stay here.” He kisses my nose before answering the door.

A few words are exchanged before he allows Kaenaék, a small medical team, and Sin in. A tray of food is placed on my bed tray. It reminds me of a hospital tray, but it’s beautiful carved wood. I wonder how it was made. Did the magic create it, or did someone? My fingers caress the intricate carved designs of lacy flowers.

“Cara.” I look up to see everyone looking at me. “Is what Tavi says true?” Kaenaék asks.

“What…”

“The nightmare, Ti’kúe.” I nod.

“You are distracted, vomiting, emotional, nightmares, and a slight personality shift.” Kaenaék lists them like a disease or something. He smiles gently when he sees my worry. “It is all normal with pregnancy.” I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. “We need to regulate your food, sleep, and make your rest times more relaxing.”

“That’s it?” I ask incredulously.

“That is all.” He chuckles before gesturing to Sin. “He is going to check you over as well. It seems the nanú may also be influencing you.” I look at them curiously.

“Just as you hold power, so do they. At this point, they may be developing theirs, and it can interfere with your sleep. If so, I can put a barrier on it. It will not hurt or hinder them or you.” Sin says calmly.

“What about their powers? I don’t want them stunted in any way.” He chuckles. Hey, I’m worried here. My babies will not be hindered.

“It will not hurt their development in any way. It will only protect you from the interference. At this point, you are only now developing your own powers and changing. They, too, are doing the same. You are clashing. It is like a nanú being pregnant. It is bad for both. One can destroy the other.” I grip my belly in fear. They can’t die!
“Easy, Cara. The barrier will protect you all so you may develop how you need. Tira has given me blood, taken with a needle. Mali, Nadi, Fraí, and your mother have done so as well. I will mix some of my life force in with it, and it will be injected into your fluids.” I look at him confused.

“What fluids?” I ask him suspiciously. He suddenly laughs.

“When you say it now, it does sound odd. The fluid around the nanú.” I nod in understanding.

“We call it amniotic fluid.” They nod and hum.

“I like it. It is easier to say than ‘pre-birth nanú growth and protection fluid.’ Wouldn’t you agree?” Ana chuckles as she asks Kaenaék. He nods.

“Perhaps we should work on wording later. Please, if you would Sin.” Sin has me lay back and begins my examination. I close my eyes and wait. After a few minutes, he makes a curious noise.

“Finished. It is odd. I sense many races of this planet in you and many more I know nothing of. Your dominant races are taníyn, mërroẃ, turaíēl, lycan, stríganti, and two, I don’t recognize. One is tiny and seems to enjoy mischief. It is like our kalí or níah’cea, yet…” he shakes his head. “It is strange to read.”

“I think that’s a Leprechaun. Grandma said we came from the little people of Ireland. I have some books on them, but no one can agree on their real classification.” He nods.

“It is unique. Definitely created by the realm you come from and no other. The other, I can’t read it at all. I tried and was blocked. I only saw a bright light. Even when I read the others from your world, this has never occurred. At least with the turaíēl and their relatives, I see a being with wings shaking their heads at me. They seem amused when they see me. I saw two with you.” He chuckles. “I almost want to check again. They seem… entertaining.”

I nod and try to think of family legends. If turaíēl come from angels and fallen angels, and he sees them, what could block his vision? Wolves, merfolk, little people, angels, witches, druids, fae, and more, but none would simply block him. What would create a bright light?

“No matter. Eat up.” Sin pats my hand gently before moving my food to me.

“What about the injection?” I ask. He smirks and waves the empty tube. “Oh wow! You’re good. You should become a phlebotomist.” He chuckles and shakes his head.

“Perhaps in another life. I have no end to this one as of yet.”

“And you won’t either!” Ana says with her hands on her hips. I laugh before digging in. Hash browns, country gravy, southern fried poultry, salad, and a fruit parfait.

“Oh, yummy!” I giggle and wiggle as I eat.

“Tavi! Cara! Ana! Hello?” I hear Tavi’s parents call fearfully from the stairs. It isn’t long before they’re running in. “Oh, thank the Ancestors! We… who are you?” They ask when they see Sin hugging Ana.

“You may call me Sin. I am one of Ana’s hayati.” Their jaws drop, and they stare.

“One!?!” They say together in surprise.

“We can speak of it later. You came in hurriedly on an urgent matter. We also have an incident and important matters to discuss. Please, tell us.” Sin redirects them. I look to Tavi’s parents. They look disheveled and dirty.

“There’s been an attack.”

Well, shịt.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 25 25
"Elle, why? Are you not happy here? Am I doing something wrong...?" His voice seemed to break when he was asking that last question. "No, it's not yo...
16.9K 3K 36
Erik's mate, Katharina, died eighty years ago. Werewolf mates are for life. There are no break-ups or second chances. On the night of the Blood Moon...
1K 250 100
*This is Purely fantasy* I'm Rose. I am 50% witch, about 25% vampire and about 25% she-wolf (Werewolf). My father IS half warlock and half vampire. ...
99.9K 1.8K 37
"The fuck you are leaving me." He snapped and growled at his mate. She was calm as she was ever be regardless of his snapping. She sighed and turned...