Lucy Snape and the Half-Blood...

By TheHalfBloodPrincess

A HARRY POTTER FAN FICTION BOOK SIX IN THE LUCY SNAPE SERIES Lucy Snape. Sixteen years-old. Missing. Zuc cap... More

Desolation and Depression
Mundane Medieval Islands
Delusional Departure
Realistic Reunion
Apathetic American Boy
Slugging me off
Dean Cousins
Quotidian Quick Quills
Secure Secrets
The Half-Blood Princess
Matthew Jarvin
Blind Theories
Captivating Complications
Mortifying Manners
Fetching Forgiveness
Suppressed Sight
Fanatical Friendship
Breaking and Entering
Courageous Camping
I owe you so much
New Nostalgia
Peculiar Plan
Terrifying Tragedy
Protected Personality
Provocative Party
The Jarvin family
Salient Scars
Destructive Demons
Distant Desires
Historical Help
Heights, Knights and Frights
Sacrificed Sincerity
The Real Princess
Instantaneous Incidents
Mandatory Meeting
Radical Reassurance
Hopeful Horizons
O' Father Mine
Hello, Mr Kingston
Goodnight
Tactful Two

Successful Studies

931 37 47
By TheHalfBloodPrincess

Chapter 9: Successful Studies 

When Lucy had said goodbye to Dean later that day, she walked slowly up to Defense Against the Dark Arts. She swore to her great ancestor that the stairs up to that classroom would be the death of her. If Zuc didn't hurry up the stairs just might kill her first. She smiled a little imagining Zuc's disappointment when he found Lucy dead on a set of stairs meaning he'd never be able to kill his worst enemy. 

"Oh good golly, Kingston! What a pity!" Lucy muttered impersonating Zuc under her breath causing her smile to grow wider. If anyone saw her right now they would really believe the papers in that she was mental. 

Lucy opened the door to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and picked up Angus as he trotted over to her. She held him close and stroked his fur, Snape hated Angus but she didn't care. Angus, in her mind, was the greatest cat in the world. 

"Oh, Angus, you really do like to go for a wander, don't you? Didn't dad keep you up in his quarters? Or did you escape again?" Lucy asked as she climbed up more steps to get to Snape's private quarters. She reached into her bag and pulled out a set of keys. "Maybe next time you won't wander around a castle and you'll keep yourself safe, OK?" 

Lucy slotted the key into the lock of the door and twisted it until she heard a faint click, letting her know that her key had granted her access to the other side of the door. She pressed down on the door handle and opened the door. She then placed Angus down and walked inside herself after locking the door behind her.

"Dad, I'm back!" Lucy called as she dumped her bag down on the floor and slipped off her robe and placed that too on the floor. She then proceeded to walk towards her room which was next door to Snape's. But then she had to wonder...where was Snape?

Usually he'd pounce on her the second she arrived and demand how her day was — well, not demand this was Snape we're talking about and not the outgoing Dean Cousins. He'd just always be there.

"Dad?" Lucy called looking all over his quarters, even walking into Snape's room to see if he was there but he was nowhere to be found. "Oh how on Earth could I misplace my father?" Lucy muttered, thinking out loud as usual.

In a moment of madness Lucy slipped her robe back on and exited Snape's quarters, ran through the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, leapt down the stairs and ran through the castle. She hated when Snape left her unexpectedly she felt so lost without him.

"Dad!" Lucy called as she ran. "Dad!" 

"Oi! Keep it down, you ungrateful child!" One of the portraits hissed as she ran by. 

"Sorry!" Lucy cringed, turning around to face the portrait briefly before running off again. "DAD!" 

After a while Lucy was getting tired of her own voice and was beginning to get tired, running around the whole of Hogwarts was a sport she did not wish to pursue any longer. She slumped towards the last place left and then climbed the stairs to the Hidden room. 

Lucy shoved open the door with some of her remaining energy and then found Snape sitting there on a chair. His sleeve was up and he was admiring something on his forearm. Lucy stepped forward but Snape hadn't noticed her as he was too busy wincing in pain. 

"Dad," Lucy said finally. It was as though Snape had suddenly been electrocuted as he leapt up and rolled down his sleeve as fast as he could. "It's OK...I know you're a death eater you told me, remember? It was in first year." 

"Yes, of course..." Snape bowed his head in shame; how could he be so stupid? "I honestly forgot about that." 

"So what's wrong with your dark mark?" 

"It burns. Like someone's set my whole arm on fire...pity I can't get rid of it," Snape looked down at his arm but something about his tone told Lucy that he hadn't been able to cover all of the truth. Something about the way he said it made it evident that somewhere underneath there was a secret hiding and that secret being how he didn't really regret his dark mark. Or was she doubting him too much?

"Why did you come here?" 

"Because I forgot about telling you I was a death eater but it's now evident that I did tell you. I only try to protect you. As for first year I was a fool for telling you that, I was careless back then and I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't even know I wanted to be a parent then." 

"I thought we agreed we weren't keeping secrets from each other?"

"Yes of course," Snape muttered before Lucy spoke again.

"Come on, lets go back," Lucy said as she stepped forward. She took hold of his arm and Snape flinched. "Sorry..." Lucy then proceeded to take his other arm and then they walked back to Snape's quarters together. 

It was only the next day that it dawned on Lucy why on Earth Snape's dark mark would be burning at this time. Sure, Lord Voldemort was getting stronger but why now? They'd only just returned to Hogwarts and Voldemort wouldn't think of some evil plan yet. Why would Snape's dark mark burn unless something important was going on? 

"Dad," Lucy sat down next to Snape the next morning before going down to the great hall. Snape's eyes were boring into the prophet (as usual) and he grunted in response to being called. "I want to ask you something." 

"What is it?" He mumbled as though it was an automatic response rather than listening to what Lucy had to say to him. 

"I want to ask you about — " Lucy paused, Snape wasn't listening in the slightest. She grabbed hold of the prophet and threw it across the room. 

"Lucy!" Snape barked. 

"That's what happens when you don't listen to me. Now are you going to listen or am I going to have to paralyse you with a spell to force you to listen?" She pulled out her wand at the ready. 

Snape stared longingly at the prophet before answering. "Alright, what is it you wish to ask me?" 

"I want to ask you about last night and that dark mark of yours. Why was it hurting now? Why would Lord Voldemort want your dark mark to burn now? Does he need your help? Are you still in contact with him?" 

"First of all, slow down with your questions. One at a time please." 

Lucy sighed and asked the question that she thought was the most important. "Does Lord Voldemort need your help?" 

Snape ignored Lucy's use of the Dark Lord's name. After fighting Lord Zuc, Voldemort wasn't really as scary anymore. Snape didn't speak for a moment as he processed Lucy's question, what was he going to tell her? He'd done an unbreakable vow with Narcissa if he failed he'd die...but what would Lucy have to say about his drunken mistake? 

"I..." Snape began. 

"Yes?" Lucy encouraged, staring at him intently. 

"Lucy I think that — " Snape stopped himself, almost choking back his words as though his brain had wanted him to stay them but he didn't want to obey. 

"Dad?" Lucy held his hand. "What is it?" 

He put an arm around her and smiled. "Nothing to worry about. The Dark Lord doesn't need my help in the slightest." 

"Are you sure?" Lucy whispered and leaned into him, giving him a hug. "Are you really sure about this?" 

"Lucy, stop worrying. I'd tell you if something was wrong, wouldn't I? No secrets between us, remember?"

Lucy nodded. "I remember." 

"Well then, why don't you go down to the great hall to get some breakfast? You don't want to starve during the day like I did during the summer." 

Lucy took Snape's advice and made her way down to the great hall, meeting Shona on the way. Snape however was too busy bathing in guilt; why did he lie to Lucy? He could have just told her and dealt with one of her little temper tantrums, it would have been far easier. But now he would have to keep up the lie for the rest of the year...

"LUCY!" Dean called, running down the corridor to greet Lucy and Shona. "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy! You can't go without me!" 

"Oh, Dean," Lucy shook her head and stopping in her tracks where Dean pelted straight into her accidentally, making her shriek a little. They both landed on the floor in a heap causing Dean to go into overdrive, sobbing apologies at her. 

"Dean, it's OK! You didn't hurt me, it's fine!" Lucy protested as Dean scrambled to his feet before grabbing hold of Lucy under the armpits and hauling her up so that her feet didn't touch the ground. 

"I'm so sorry!" He sobbed and hugged her. "I never meant to hurt one of the great gifted! I'm so sorry!"

"Dean — "

"I should have never ran towards you! How stupid can I be?"

"Dean — !"

"Now I knew why they doubted me!" Dean wailed, people were staring at them now as Dean stood there and hugged Lucy, her feet still not touching the floor.  

"Dean!" Lucy raised her voice and Dean stopped wailing. "It's OK, you didn't hurt me and I'm fine. J-Just put me down...people are staring." 

"Oh, right, sorry..." Dean placed Lucy down so that she stood safely on two feet. 

"Why don't we go down to the great hall before any more accidents happen?" Shona suggested as she led the way down to the great hall. Dean blushed unintentionally and Lucy giggled. 

"I'm sorry, Lucy," Dean whispered. 

"Stop saying sorry!" Lucy laughed. 

"Sorry!" Dean squeaked but after a few moments realised what he said and clamped his hands over his mouth which made Lucy laugh even harder before they proceeded towards the great hall. They sat down together next to Shona and ate their breakfast together and joking about all kinds of things as the morning just began. 

When they were finished they got up and went to go get their things. Lucy stood up and a sharp pain shot through her forehead, she grabbed hold of the table before she fell but Dean already had hold of her. 

"Are you alright?" Dean asked in worry. 

"I-I'm fine," Lucy stood upright as the pain slowly faded away. Lucy noticed people staring at her and so she went a little red and dragged Dean outside of the great hall. When they were out of earshot of everyone else in the great hall Lucy spoke. "I just had this weird sharp pain in my forehead, it happened the other day." 

"What other day? Be precise here," Dean frowned, folding his arms as Shona caught up. 

"The day I arrived at Hogwarts and I was sitting in the great hall listening to Dumbledore's speech, it was rather strange." 

"Maybe it's something to do with Lord Zuc?" Dean said in a low voice. "Maybe he's trying to harm you again?" 

"Yes, maybe..." Lucy whispered before returning to normal. "Shall we go and get our books?" 

"Yes of course you should!" Dean grinned. "You have Herbology first!" 

Shona headed off to the Gryffindor common room while Lucy and Dean made their way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts area so they could find Snape's quarters and get Lucy's books. When they were in one of the long corridors they heard rapid footsteps behind them. They spun around and saw Snape running towards them. 

When he approached he spoke to them. "Lucy, McGuire informed me that you've been having sharp pains in your head. Is everything alright?" 

"Everything is fine," Lucy assured as Snape put both hands at the top of her arms. 

"This isn't good, it could be Zuc again...I thought we'd lost him once and for all?" 

"He isn't dead, me and Shona didn't finish him. You do know that, don't you?" 

"Yes, of course I know that, it's just...I thought he'd leave you alone for a while now and it concerns me." 

"Do you really think he'd leave me alone now considering I escaped him in the summer? If anything he wants to hurt me," Lucy shrugged.

"Why now?" Snape protested. 

"Why all the other times? It doesn't matter what time it is, Zuc will continue to hurt me unless he's dead." 

"It's just...I worry about you a lot, you know." 

"Well, you don't have to. I have Dean to look after me now. He's a mature twenty-year-old with a lot of stamina, determination, courage, bravery and — " 

"DIE YOU KNIGHT OF THE MEDIEVAL ISLANDS! HOW DARE YOU TRESPASS INTO THE HOGWARTS CASTLE! BEGONE YOU TRAITOR!" Dean yelled and knocked the head of a knight suit of armour off of the suit. It landed on the floor in a clatter causing it all to go silent. "Did I do something wrong?" Dean asked in reply to the look Snape was giving him. 

"Mr Cousins, you do realise those suits of armour are for decoration don't you?" Snape asked. 

"D-Decoration?" Dean stammered. "Oh! How stupid of me!" Dean cringed and picked up the knights helmet and placed it safely back onto the knights armour. "Sorry, Mr Knight!" 

"Now what were you saying about Mr Cousins' bravery?" Snape asked, turning back to Lucy. Causing Dean's face to fall, knowing he was being insulted. But he never wanted to think wrong of the gifted no matter what they said because he idolised them. 

"I think he's a very brave man who's just a little bit nervous to be around witches and wizards. He's determined to look after me and he's very brave in attacking anything that could pose as a threat to me. He might not have proved his worth to anybody else but he's proved it to me," Lucy smiled. "Don't underestimate him." 

"Very well, I shall see you when the day ends," he gave her a quick hug and Dean rushed forward. 

"Group hug!" Dean grinned holding out his arms. 

"See you tonight, Lucy," Snape said before walking away. Dean's arms fell back to his sides and he looked down. 

"Oh, Dean, don't worry. You're extremely brave to me! I put all my trust in you because I know you'll protect me," Lucy reassured. 

"You do?" Dean asked perking up a little. 

"I do, now why don't I go get my books? I can't learn without them." 

"Yes! Of course!" Dean said, he took hold of her hand and they walked to go and get Lucy's bag full of books together. 

*      *      * 

When all lessons were over Lucy, Shona and Dean made their way out of Transfiguration feeling very relaxed now that it was the end of the day. They were looking forward to doing whatever they wanted now as for once they didn't have very much homework but it still needed to be done. 

"Come on, Dean, lets go do my homework so then we'll have nothing else to worry about tomorrow," Lucy said gesturing to walking in the direction of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom where she knew her father would be. 

"I paid attention in Transfiguration so I know I can help you!" Dean chirped happily. "We'll have it done in no time!" 

"Do you want to come, Shona?" Lucy asked her friend. 

"I actually wanted to go down to the library for once and get some books on Charms, I think I'll study there today," Shona said gesturing down to the direction of the library. "It'll be nice to have a change of scenery." 

"Yes, of course. I'll see you soon!" Lucy waved as she and Dean began to make their way down to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, talking about something that Shona couldn't hear as they made their way further down the corridor. 

Shona thought it was nice that Lucy had someone to take care of her, a friend that was always there to talk to. Of course, Shona had Lucy to talk to all the time but it would be nice if she could have a bodyguard too. Maybe the Resistance didn't give her one though because they thought she was strong enough? 

This drew a smile out of Shona as she began to make her way down to the library. However, she stopped smiling when she realised people would be looking at her strange. That was the key in school when you were walking along on your own; blank face and don't show any of your emotions. It was the rule for any school really, Shona thought, not just wizarding schools. 

Shona's mind wandered to back home to the town of Worthing. She lived in a little house there on her own since her father and brother had left after her mother. It was just her and Bruno looking after the house. But since Shona was at Hogwarts, she couldn't take care of Bruno so she had asked one of her neighbours to feed him (she was just hoping that they had done the favour in which she asked because she really did care for Bruno.) 

She really wished she could keep Bruno with her at Hogwarts but unfortunately Hogwarts didn't accept dogs as pets only the select few were allowed. It was a shame, really, because to have Bruno at Hogwarts would have been fantastic. Even more fantastic to prank Snape with because the look on his face when Bruno walked into his quarters with muddy paws would have been priceless. 

But as this couldn't happen, Shona was left to go to Hogwarts on her own without any pets. 

As she made it into the library she scanned the room quickly to make sure there were some tables available, luckily there was and Shona took a table in the far back corner of the room so she wouldn't be noticed. Hopefully someone like Ellen wouldn't be lurking around so she couldn't make a story on 'Sebastian's descendant studying in the library; exclusive to the Quick Quills.' Which would be the sort of stupid headline Ellen would come up with anyway for her newspaper. 

Shona placed down her bag on one of the chairs as though marking her territory. She wouldn't have some stupid first year stealing her well found table now considering the library was starting to fill up now that the day was over and people wanted to study just like her. 

Shona left her bag unattended at the table she had claimed and went to search for books on Charms. She found the section quickly and then went hunting for the sixth year books she needed. It took her a while to find anything that would help her but eventually she managed to find about five books on the subject she needed and she just hoped these were the right books. As she couldn't find the exact book she was looking for those would have to do. 

"Hey, it's Sebastian's descendant!" One first year said in a hushed voice to their friend, unfortunately Shona overheard and tried to hide her smile. 

"She's so brave in rescuing Merlin's descendant...have you seen her yet?" The friend replied to the first year. 

"I have! She walks around with that boy all the time...apparently he's her bodyguard." 

Shona walked away from the two first years' conversation and back to her table in the corner of the room. When she returned, however, she was met with quite a shock. She ground her teeth in anger and stalked towards her table that she had claimed. 

"This table is taken," Shona spat at the boy sitting there. The dark haired boy looked up and gasped, he shot up and began cringing. 

"I'm so, so sorry! I'll just be going now...I'll go study somewhere else, good day to you, miss," the boy rushed. Shona recognised him. The boy began to walk off quickly. 

"Ben Truman?" Shona asked and the boy froze. His shoulders shot up to his ears and he turned around to face her. 

"Yes?" 

"You're in my Defense Against the Dark Arts class, right?" 

"I think so? Are you in the same one as Lucy Snape?" 

"Yes, I am. I would know, she's my best friend." 

"Oh, OK then..." Ben put the book he was carrying under his arm and was about to walk off again when Shona stopped him like before. 

"That book you're reading, is it about Charms?" Shona wondered trying to see the cover of the book Ben had clutched under his arm and claimed as his own for a little bit. 

"Yes, it is. I thought I better study something in my free time considering I've finished all my homework...there's nothing better than a little bit of studying!" Ben seemed very enthusiastic about his studies much like Lucy was, were the two friends? 

"I guess so," Shona nodded. "You friends with Lucy?" 

"I just know her from the Slug club and she helped me find my way to Defense Against the Dark Arts the other day, it was nice meeting Merlin's descendant but you too. You're Sebastian's descendant! Oh how I'd love to ask you about all of your adventures but..." 

"But what?" Shona asked offering him a seat back at the table that Shona had claimed earlier. Ben looked hesitant for a moment but then decided to take a seat next to her. 

"I thought it would be rude, besides I was here to study Charms," Ben noticed the pile of books Shona had. "And it appears you are too." 

"I thought I might as well. It's the one subject I should study and I've got homework for Charms as well that I don't really understand." 

"Would you like me to help you?" Ben asked. He seemed really willing to help her with a bit of Charms homework that Shona could really do herself if she put her mind to it. But there was nothing wrong with a bit of help, was there? 

"No, it's OK. I think I can manage," Shona smiled. 

"Are you sure? I think it's a little hard — well, if you have the same homework as I had I think so anyway..." Ben looked down awkwardly at the book he had now placed on the table. 

"Hey! That's the book I was looking for! No wonder I couldn't find it!" Shona laughed. "You were hiding it from me!" 

"Oh, I apologise!" Ben slid the book over to her. "If you need it you can use it, I don't really need it anyway. I was just revising and I don't really need to do that..." Ben stood up again but Shona stopped him yet again. 

"Can you help me?" Shona asked now feeling very awkward that she hadn't accepted Ben's help the first time. As this was the case she added: "I'll tell you about my adventures in return." 

"Oh, you don't have to. I'm very willing to just help you with your homework — " 

"I'll tell you all about them just in exchange for a few tips on Charms." 

Ben held out his hand. "Deal." 

"Deal," Shona replied and took his hand and shook it. 

For the rest of the afternoon Ben and Shona sat in the library and studied Charms. After Ben had explained it to her, Shona found it much easier than a teacher saying it. It was as though Ben could be a teacher himself! He was so wise he could have been a sixty year old in a sixteen year old's body. But he was kind too, he had the patience of a saint and would go over the question a hundred times until Shona got it without losing his temper in the slightest. 

When they had finished studying (as well as finishing Shona's homework) as promised Shona told Ben all about her adventures so far. How she had battled a monster in first year, a snake in second year, vampires in third year and Zuc in fifth year. There really wasn't much to battle in fourth year for her considering that was all filled with the tri wizard tournament where Lucy had met Zuc before anyone else. 

"I find the gifted quite fascinating," Ben admitted. "That was one of the perks from moving from Collin's academy to here, I got to meet the gifted...of course focusing on my studies is more important but it's nice to be breathing the same air as the gifted," Ben laughed trying not to sound too anxious.

"We might be famous but we're just like anyone else...apart from we get chased around with cameras all the time," Shona shrugged. "I like going on adventures but I hate being chased by the press."

"The pros and cons to being famous."

"But I think there are more pros than cons. The pros consist of saving everybody and being proud of something, earning your worth. But the cons consist of being stalked by the press. The cons just don't compare to the fantastic pros."

"Well said," Ben smiled. "You really can be smart when you put your mind to it." 

"I never have the mind to do it though...that's why I end up in an uncountable amount of detentions with Snape. My lack of interest in lessons get me in a great deal of trouble." 

"I think you should concentrate more...did you get good O.W.L results?" 

"Surprisingly, yes."

"Well you have proved your worth...why don't you keep proving it to others? Once one makes a reputation for themselves they don't have to keep it. They don't have to be branded with that forever, they can change." 

"But some people don't." 

"It is our choices..." Ben whispered his mind drifted off for a second. 

"You OK, Ben?" Shona asked, snapping him back to reality. 

"I'm grand. What about you?" 

Shona frowned but she admired his ease to slip out of the situation easy. "I'm good." 

"Well then keep up the good and minus the bad," Ben said. "Then you'll get fantastic results." Ben stood up and this time Shona didn't stop him. He began to walk away before turning around again. "Good luck with your studies," he winked before definitely leaving the library. 

Shona sat there and thought for a moment completely awestruck. She barely knew Ben and he had just poured a bucket of knowledge over her, the words sunk into her skin like an injection and it was as though Ben had created a new Shona. An improved Shona...a fixed Shona. 

Ben was almost an enigma. 

Shona liked enigma's. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.8K 1.4K 22
The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well ...Or was it? Albus Severus Potter finds himself in Hogwarts just when a new mystery u...
70.6K 1.9K 26
This story is about a girl whose 16 in her 6th year at Hogwarts, now she is of legal age in the UK her very own potions teacher has a sudden change o...
14.1K 477 18
Everything is peaceful in the castle of the Kingdom and the village that surrounds it. However, one night, everything changes when the wealthy and gr...
347K 8.9K 22
Snarry. Explicit. Post-Hogwarts, though the War still rages. Harry is holed up at Grimmauld Place where he may be safe from his enemies, but he's no...