a Primal Pursuit

由 XDeafening_SilenceX

When the wolves took over the world over a hundred years ago, millions of humans were killed, with survivors... 更多

coming soon
one
two*
three
four
five
six
seven
eight *
nine
ten*
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty *
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four **
twenty five
twenty six*
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty*
fifty one
fifty three
fifty four
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three
sixty four
sixty five
sixty six
sixty seven
sixty eight
sixty nine
seventy
seventy one
seventy two
seventy three
seventy four
seventy five
seventy six

fifty two

4K 247 19
由 XDeafening_SilenceX

This was a lot of people.

As I stood, clutching the questionnaires to my chest, I stared dumbfounded as people flooded the room. Humans of various kinds lined up, their heads bowed and hands looped in front of them. Once the footsteps stopped, the room fell silent, and I realised they were waiting for someone to speak.

I licked my lips nervously, glancing at Mya from the corner of my eye. She shrugged, stoic and tense behind me. I was originally doing this alone, but I grew nervous and Mya was the only one free. She promised me she would support me, and Asra was more than happy to give me a guard in front of so many people.

Clearing my throat, my fingers rubbed the papers nervously. "Thank you, everyone, for coming on such short notice."

Nobody lifted their heads, all of them subdued.

"You... you don't have to look down, you know. I'm not that hideous, am I?" I joked, a nervous laugh tumbled from my lips.

They all stirred, coming to live like animatronic robots. Some looked up to stare at me, others at the walls, and a few shared looks with each other. I knew they were just as unsure as I was, their eyes glossed with confusion.

"I'm not here to tell you off or anything." Trying to reassure them, I smiled. "I just wanted you all together, as this will be a lot quicker."

More confused glances, most of them looking up now.

"I'm Ailia... But you probably knew that already..." My voice drifted to a mutter.

Mya cleared her throat, widening her eyes as if to say, 'get to it.'

"Right, anyway. I just have some paperwork for you all to fill out. If you could do so, that would be great." I smiled tensely, stepping down from the front stage.

I walked up to the first person and handed them some pages. "If you could take one and pass them down, it will be so much quicker."

The human bowed their head, but I saw the intrigue in their gaze as they peered down at the page. I passed some to every first person on the left and waited as they all handed out the pages. My dress swished as I moved to take the pens from Mya, who quirked a brow when I dropped a few.

"Oh, yeah, don't help me then. Stand there and look scary." I scoffed.

There were a few shocked gasps and mutters, the room filling with sudden life. Mya grinned, amused, at me before shrugging her shoulders.

"You got it covered. Paper isn't that heavy, is it?"

I glared at her, my lips pursing with annoyance as I handed the boxes of pens the same way I did the paper. Coming back to the front, I waited for everyone to finish shuffling.

"Everyone got a page and a pen?" I wondered.

There were a few mumbling agreements, and nods, and my lips pulled back into a smile.

"Great. Now, it's just multiple choice, and I have tried my hardest to find the most desired answers for you to choose from. You don't have to put your name, but I'd appreciate your position in this pack just so it can support the answers." I explained. "This questionnaire, as you read it, is about your work conditions and once I have some answers from this, there will be more specific ones and, hopefully, some interviews."

Someone hesitantly raised their hand, and I turned to the slight female, curious.

"It says here what type of meal we'd prefer..." Her voice was confused. "And the hours in a day we'd prefer to work?"

"Yes?" I wondered.

She blinked, lips parting with unsaid words. I couldn't help but laugh softly, keeping my expression fair as she looked around nervously.

"That's correct."

"Why?" she blurted.

"Because things are changing around here and I want you guys to be involved."

She shared a look with the young woman beside her, who shrugged and filled in her form. Across the room, there was the soft noise of paper scuffling and pens scratching, but everyone remained silent. My fingers twitched, fists clenching and unclenching as I stood before them in the silence.

"You guys are awfully quiet." I stated.

Those who had not even started looked up at me with blank expressions. I cleared my throat, laughing awkwardly once again.

"You don't have to be so quiet. We're a working unit here."

"With all respect, Ailia, you are the luna." An elder woman spoke, dressed in black.

"I am." I nodded, cocking my head. "But I am also human, and someone with empathy. These are your friends, your colleagues. You can talk to each other."

It took some time, but after a few hesitant seconds, they mutter amongst themselves. When the room was filled with a soft level of idle chatter, my lips curled into a grin. Turning to look at Mya, she bowed her head to the side, a smirk playing on her lips.

"What?" I laughed, standing closer to her.

"Way to command a room." She snickered.

"Hey, I will not restrict them from expressing themselves." I muttered. "God knows how much I was restricted. It's the last thing I want for these people."

"It's kind of you." Mya muttered.

"It shouldn't be kind." I shook my head and her eyebrows furrowed. "It should be normal. This house, this town, is full of silence, and it shouldn't be. All of this space has so much potential for life, laughter, history... Yet it's like a hotel."

"It's well choreographed."

"It's tasteless." I stated.

She laughed, taken aback. "Does Asra know how little you speak of his house?"

"As far as I'm aware, the luna looks after the house." I winked.

"I look forward to seeing what you do, Ailia."

"Thank you." I mused.

The room had seemed to pick up in volume and I turned my attention back to the crowd to see they had finished.

"Is everyone done?" I shouted over the top of them.

Like a bullet had flown, the group fell silent, and all eyes turned to me.

"If you're finished, you can go. Just leave the things. I'm aware it's your time, so don't feel obligated to stay." I announced.

Glances were exchanged, and in a matter of five minutes, the room emptied until only discarded pages and pens remained. Mya helped me tidy up after I reminded her I was her boss, and together we collected the leftover things.

"Would you prefer early morning or late evening shifts?" Mya read aloud.

"Personally, I prefer evening." I snorted. "I have grown quite fond of Asra's bed."

"I bet you have," Mya smirked, leaning closer to sniff me.

I glared at her, scoffing loudly. "You're just horny."

"Oh, Luna, I get it still." She teased as I went to walk away.

I turned, surprised. "Mya!"

"Human bars are a fun place to pick up women." She grinned.

"I didn't know human districts had bars."

"Oh yeah, where else would they go to sleep the night away?" Mya teased. "I should take you some time."

"To pick up women?" I mused.

"To let loose!" She scolded. "Have some fun."

"I don't know... My idea of fun doesn't involve partying." I shook my head.

Or that much alcohol.

"Who said we have to party?"

"Mya..." I sighed, turning to her. "I fear I would be no fun."

"Nonsense." She shook her head. "A few beers never hurt."

Pursing my lips, I debated. "I'll think about it."

"Oh no, it's a date." Mya grinned. "This Hump Day. You and Me."

"Wednesday?" My nose wrinkled.

It was Monday, that gave me two days to run away.

"Don't even think about it." She narrowed her eyes, poking me with her finger. "I will track you down."

I narrowed my eyes. Her brown ones were warning me she knew what I was thinking. Her face erupted into a grin after I sighed, and she leaned away from me. Shoving the paperwork into my hands, Mya cocked her head.

"I shall see you on our date, on Wednesday, Luna." She grinned. "I'm out of here!"

Her braids whacked me in the face as she spun on her heel, and I let out a grunting curse as it whipped me. Those things could bloody cause some damage if she was to whack someone with them like nun chucks. It was rare she had them not tied into a bun. Her constant complaints about how long they were didn't seem to deter her today.

The door slammed shut behind her and I sighed, staring down at the pages in my hands. They were all uneven and bent in places, but a small smile lifted my face.

Another step closer.

***

'My office, Tulip.'

My jaw tensed, a grumble escaping my lips. I don't even get a hello, just a demand? Damn Alpha.

'Everett is here.' Asra added.

Begrudgingly, I gathered up the paperwork into a pile and left the lunchroom. I had finished eating a while ago, but found the dining tables were spacey and quiet to organise the results from my questionnaires. Thankfully, I have recorded most of it and all I had to do was think about the best options for the staff.

It was the next day, and I was itching to get this done. My brain was begging me all night long to stay awake and sort it out, but I eventually gave into my tiredness. I spent the afternoon in the kitchens too, which didn't help.

Entering Asra's office, I didn't bother to knock. Asra was standing on his side of the desk, his hands clenched and knuckles resting on the wood. He was already looking my way as I entered, his hair casting over his dark eyes.

I swallowed, suddenly nervous, as I entered the room. By the window stood Everett, and I wondered what called him here after only a day of being an investigator. The large man turned, nodding in greeting without expression.

"What's going on?" I breathed.

Asra straightened his spine, standing upright as he observed me. His eyes flickered to the paperwork in my hands before drifting across my entire body.

"Everett found something," Asra stated.

My eyebrows rose, and I stepped closer to dump my work on his desk. "Oh? Care to expand?"

Asra looked toward his gamma, who cleared his throat and stepped closer. He stood on my side of the desk, but a little to the side. His brown eyes were a dark caramel colour in the light of this room, and I gave him a small smile.

"I have been looking into Beta Flynn." He began, and I nodded with understanding. "It is never easy digging up dirt on high positioned wolves, but I gained access to the private information that Alpha Black did not hide so well."

"And? Did you find anything?" I probed when he didn't expand further.

Everett shared a look with Asra, which made my eyes narrow. I didn't like being ignored, and him looking to Asra for what to say only lived to make me agitated. So when his eyes came back to mine, I was pleased to see him swallow nervously.

"That's the thing..." He mumbled. "There is a big... gap in his timeline."

"Gap?" I wondered. "As in missing files? Torn out pages?"

"Not exactly." He shook his head. "Wolf files start from the day they confirm the child to have viable life. Usually around ten weeks in pregnancy."

"That's rather specific." I muttered.

"We keep note of everything, from abnormal scans, birth weights, up to baby and toddler milestones." Asra interrupted. "That way, we can see where genetics work out, and there is a comprehensive list of everything the wolf has ever done."

"What? In case you have to kill them for insanity?" I snorted.

Asra shrugged off my joke, and I cringed when I realised my joke was truth.

"It gives up a black-and-white picture of who a wolf is." Everett added. "In Beta Flynn's case, around eleven years of his life were unrecorded."

I was certain my soul had just fled my body. My face turned pale, eyes wide as I stared at Everett, open-mouthed.

What did that even mean?

"He is of beta blood." Everett continued, despite my quietness. "He was born to fully blooded beta parents and has one recorded sibling."

"Luna Black." I muttered.

"Correct." Everett nodded. "He is the eldest sibling."

"What else?" I whispered.

"No record of finding his mate, or children, or anything else." He shook his head. "They did not give him the beta position right away. His father remained in that position until ten years ago."

"What happened ten years ago?" I asked.

"According to records, nothing. The eleven years of blank, and then he was appointed the beta role." Everett stated. "Before the eleven years gap, was a single sentence that stated he was on holiday."

My nose crinkled, forehead marring with a frown. "An eleven-year holiday?"

"It appears so." Everett nodded.

"That doesn't make much sense." I shook my head.

"Exactly." Asra stated. "Which makes him even more suspicious."

"You think it has something to do with me?" I wondered. "They're hiding something, aren't they?"

Asra inhaled sharply, his chest expanding. "I think it has something to do with you, and Evermore, entirely."

*************
oh how the pages keep turning. more in unveiling. but what? who? why? 

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

419K 12.7K 72
The girl with no wolf. An extra mouth to feed. A liability. A defenseless miscreation. Seraphina had heard it all. She had felt it all too. The bon...
879K 32.6K 53
♔︎𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐥𝐩𝐡𝐚 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠 & 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐞♔︎ ❝𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚋𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚜𝚘 𝚋𝚊𝚍? 𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚕𝚘�...
1.5M 50.9K 30
Ranked #1 Werewolf 09/02/21 Ranked #1 Fantasy-Romance 05/04/21 Ranked #1 Fantasy-Romance 17/05/22 Ranked #1 Love 15/06/21 Ranked #2 Romance 10/02/21 ...
14.4K 702 9
It has been 12 years since the Lycan emerged from the shadows and conquered the world. Today, North America is divided into two dozen Territories ov...