unlocked desires

By HannahSimpson391

After overhearing Colin say he'd never court her, Penelope tries to forget him. Realising what he has done, C... More

What Have I Done?
Love Is In The Air
Somebody To Love
Taste of Your Lips
To Love - To Live - To Grow
Clandestine Meetings
Oh But To Be In Love
Trouble Comes To Ton
Ain't No Party Like A Scotland Party
Our Happily Ever After - final part

Snake in the Grass

597 11 0
By HannahSimpson391

Sexual assault warning

No, I didn't. Oh, El! He'll not understand. What if he hates me, like you did." Penelope whispered as she looked over to where Colin's mother and younger siblings were talking to him excitedly.

"I didn't hate you, Pen. I was only a bit distraught." Penelope eyed her friend with a look of derision. "Oh, alright! I did say I overreacted, did I not?" Eloise smirked at her dearest friend as she still paled over knowing she had to tell Colin of her secret identity. "Would it help if I were there with you?" Penelope nodded. "Okay, go out to the garden. I will ask him to accompany me."

Penelope excused herself before leaving through the French doors leading to the back garden. Colin looked and caught Eloise's stare. "Colin, let us have a turn about the gardens. Shall we?" He eyes her suspiciously but went anyway. When they got out the doors, Colin saw Penelope wringing her hands and looking nervous and upset.

He rushed over, "Pen? What's happened?" He turned to his sister looking livid, "What did you say to her, Eloise?"

"Nothing, she, oh, Colin!" Penelope bit her fist to stifle the sob that left her. He instantly wrapped her in his arms as she shook. "I haven't been completely honest with you and I fear you'll hate me." His mind instantly went to the worst case scenario. She must have had carnal relations with one of her suitors.

"Are you saying that you've been with another?" It's not the best situation, but..

"No! Oh god, no! Nothing like that!" She looked shocked that he'd think that of her.

"I'm sorry but that's the worst thing I could think of, my sweet. Don't be sore at me." Colin smirked at her. Eloise cleared her throat.

"Go on, Pen. Just tell him." She urged her friend.

It's now or never, Penelope thought to herself before finally just sighing and saying it. "I am Lady Whistledown." He let go of her and backed away from her.

"No. You couldn't be. You're not a gossip. You're good and sweet and everything right in the world." Penelope began to cry and Eloise held her as she shook her head at her brother. "It's true?" Eloise nodded her head. Colin scoffed. Then looked back at his crying fiancé before stalking off.

"Colin!" Shouted Eloise.

"I need time!" He shouted back before disappearing around the corner. Moments later, they heard him galloping away on his horse. Leaving.

Penelope cried herself to sleep as Eloise comforted her throughout the night. Colin hadn't come back and she didn't even know if he would. Eloise watched her best friend sleep with a furrowed brow. She hoped Colin would come back and didn't just disappear. She left to go to her room and change into her nightdress.

The door closed and Penelope sat up looking around the empty room. She sighed and got up to look out the window. That's when she saw him. Colin. He was standing in the garden. Pacing. She resigned herself to go down and confront him.

Putting on a cloak, she made her way down the stairs and out of the door. He was still pacing when he heard her approach. "Colin?" She spoke tentatively, approaching him with caution.

"Tell me. Why did you out Marina, Penelope?" He looked down at her as she hung her head. "Was it because you were being cruel?" She stiffened, "or did you do to protect me? To protect my heart?" Penelope looked up at him and nodded.

"I asked her to leave you be, you're too good. I loved you and could not live with myself if I stood by and did nothing." Colin walked closer.

"Loved?" He wore a playful smirk upon his lips.

"Love." She said, and he knew it was true.

"Are you going to continue writing as Whistledown?" She shook her head. "Nobody else must find out. You'll be a target of the whole ton, especially the Queen."

"As soon as we marry, I will end it." She told him. "I'll issue one last column and be done, I promise." Colin kissed her hard, probing his tongue into her mouth as he groaned.

"You are just full of surprises." He held her in his arms and they stayed that way until Eloise called down from Penelope's window.

"Enough of that, lovebirds. Glad you kissed and made up. Now get to bed." Seeing the look they gave each other, she added, "In your separate beds!"

The weeks past and before she knew it, Penelope was heading home to Falmouth. She'd received a letter from her mother that her sister was to be wed to Mister Albatross in a fortnight, so she was needed back. Colin wished to accompany her via horse but the 200 mile journey would be a lot of poor Argus. "You'll write to me, won't you, my sweet?" Penelope blushed and patted her fiancé's chest lightly.

"Of course, you know I will. And you? Be sure to write me. Finish your tour of Scotland and we'll be together before you know it." She place a kiss to his cheek before he helped her into the carriage. Just as the door was about to close, he jumped in. "Colin! What on Earth?" She giggled.

"One last kiss, for the road?" He kissed her soft at first then deeper. "I miss you already. I love you, Penelope Featherington." She kissed him once more before he left and closed the door. She heard him tell the driver she was ready then she watched out the window as Aubrey Hall became smaller and smaller.

When she arrived at home the next day, her mother and sisters fawned over her. "Mister Colin Bridgerton is courting my daughter, my sweet baby! I hope you made him apologise to you for what he said at my ball." She sighed the. Told her mother everything, well almost everything

"Oh! I almost forgot! You have a lot of mail." Portia handed a stack of letters to her. She'd almost forgotten of the gentleman that she had been keeping correspondence with. She excused herself to read through her mail. The majority of them were from Lord Debling.

Hello, Minx.

I had some magnificent dreams last night of you and I together. I held you as we danced under the stars. Then I finally got to feel your sweet kiss. You're all I can think of. Please consider accepting me as your beloved.

Yours,

Christopher

Her heart fluttered for a brief moment. He seemed so sincere and now she had to write him back to let him down gently. She opened the next letter from Lord Debling.

Minx,

I have not heard back from you. I hope you are well. I await your response eagerly. My mother wanted to invite you to tea. We saw in the paper that your sister, Prudence is to be wed. I hope I'm not to forward when I request to accompany you as your date. Your mother was kind enough to invite me. Please write me. I so do love your letters, especially when you're extra cheeky!

Yours,

Christopher

"Oh, mother. What gave you done?" Penelope immediately responded to Lord Debling.

Lord Debling/Christopher,

My most sincere apologies to you for not responding. I was staying with The Bridgerton's at Aubrey Hall these past few weeks and so mother was holding my mail here at home.

A lot has happened in that time. I think the whole ton will be surprised to learn that I am being courted by Mister Colin Bridgerton. He apologised for some hurtful comments he made in jest at my mother's ball this past season.

I do so wish to remain friends with you, Christopher. I enjoy our letters and look forward to them. Thank you for being so wonderful.

Your Friend,

Penelope Featherington

The day of her sister's wedding arrived and Penelope was excited to see Eloise and the rest of the Bridgerton family. She did not know if Colin would come since he was currently in Scotland. He'd written her last week telling her that he was not sure if he would make it. She had yet to hear from Lord Debling since she wrote him of her being courted. He and his mother had accepted the invite to the wedding, so she hoped to see him there.

She had been pleasantly surprised when Prudence chose a brilliant sapphire dress for Penelope and Philippa to where as her bridesmaid and matron of honour as she wore a gown of the palest pink. Penelope hated not knowing who had arrived or not. Her mother refused to tell her.

The music started to play and so they headed out of the bridal suite and down the church. Philippa went first since she was the matron of honour then with a deep, cleansing breath Penelope grasped her little bouquet of pansies and made her way down to the dais. She could hear murmurs of how beautiful she looked which had her blushing.

Once she was set, she looked and saw Eloise, the Viscount and Viscountess, Lady Violet, Francesca, Benedict, Daphne, Simon, Gregory and Hyacinth but no Colin. Disappointed, she turned her eyes and caught the stare of Lord Debling. His face looked thoughtful but there was a hardness to his eyes. She smiled at him which seemed to disarm him. He smiled back and winked at her causing her to blush prettily.

After the wedding, they all went back to the Featherington Estate for a back garden reception. Penelope had just gotten up from her table when Lord Debling approached her with his mother. "Ah, mother, I would like to introduce you to the enchanting Miss Featherington. Miss Featherington? My mother the dowager Lady Debling." Penelope curtsied and bowed her head.

"Your ladyship, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thank you for coming." Penelope smiled sweetly at Lady Debling.

"Oh, Christopher, she is just as charming as you described. And my goodness, you look like a porcelain doll. Just beautiful. No wonder my son is so taken with you. Christopher, why don't you ask her to dance." His mother turned her smile to Penelope. "I've heard that you dance wonderfully."

Lord Debling put out his arm, so Penelope took it as he brought her to the dance floor. "Where's Bridgerton? I expected him to be here with you." He asked searching the crowd.

"Oh, Colin is currently in Scotland. He had planned to be there for five weeks, but had become ill and came home early at the beginning of the summer. He went back the day after I left Aubrey Hall." Penelope explained with a shrug. He chuckled at her nonchalant tone.

"His loss is my gain then." He smirked down at her causing her tummy to flutter uneasily. The dance ended and she went to step away but he held her tighter. "Penelope," he whispered in her ear, "just one more dance please. It's the least I deserve after you leading me on." He said jokingly since he held so much mirth in his eyes. She gave him a small smile then nodded.

Eloise watched as Penelope floated on the dance floor with Lord Debling. She then looked around and noticed Lord Fife watching them intently. Looking around the room there were two more men staring at Penelope She turned to Benedict, "I sure wish Colin was here. I don't like the way those men are eyeing up our sweet Pen." Benedict chuckled but then noticed the hungry look in their eyes as well before stalking off to talk to Anthony.

Eloise watched as Lord Debling led Penelope back to her mother and sisters before joining his own mother at their table. The tall, dark gentleman walked over and exchanged pleasantries with Penelope and her family before the other gentleman made his way over. "I know who they are," she suddenly heard her mother's voice and turned. "Those are those gentleman that were fawning over Penelope at the Dearborn Ball last season." Eloise hadn't noticed because, at the time, she was avoiding Penelope after finding out her secret life as Lady Whistledown.

Benedict came back looking chuffed. "Anthony is going to go speak with Lady Featherington. Our Penelope is practically engaged so she should not be allowing these men near her!" He turned his nose up at them, feeling quite pleased with himself. "Colin is such an arse. Why the Hell is he not here?" Benedict whispered in his younger sister's ear. It was then Eloise noticed something off.

"Um, Ben? Where is Penelope?"

Penelope had to get away for some peace and quiet. She decided to head upstairs to her bedroom where she could calm her nerves. These gentlemen just couldn't take the hint. Her thoughts drifted off to her beloved Colin. Oh how she wished he were here with her. So lost in her thoughts and staring out her window, she didn't hear the locking of her door.

Penelope watched as guest began to leave the wedding and sighed. "You look good enough to eat tonight, Miss Featherington." She gasped and placed a hand over her racing heart. "Oh, how I love to watch your bosom heave. So...tantalising." The voice was husky and deep; he sounded well into his cups.

"Lord Fife? Why are you in my room? Please leave at once." But he didn't leave. He sauntered closer, leering at her with dark, lustful eyes.

"Come now, Miss Featherington. Surely you can guess what's on my mind; what's been on my mind since I first had the chance to hold you in my arms." She could guess and swallowed thickly. "When Bridgerton finally gave us the 'all clear' after two seasons of him constantly dancing or standing with you in deep conversations at all of the balls, my first chance I got, I asked for a dance. He no longer had claim on you, but then," he was standing so close, she could smell the brandy on his breath, "then it was my turn. Who would have thought, Debling and those other two welps wanted a shot too."

Penelope tried to back away, but he caught her wrist and pulled her to him. "B-but surely you have heard. Colin was in jest. He is courting me. He wants to marry me." She explained in a shaky voice. Her heart was pounding and she could hear the blood rushing through her ears. Lord Fife wrapped his arms around her and she gasped at the feel of him, hard through his trousers. "Please let me go."

"I don't think I will." He grasped her derrière and ground his hips against her. "If what you say is true, where is he? I don't see him anywhere." Penelope struggled in his grasp but he held her tighter. "I like when they fight," he growled into her ear then got ahold of her hair and pulled her head back forcefully, then proceeded to lick her from her jaw down to her chest before burying his face in her tits. "Oh fuck! How I've dreamt of doing this to your perfect fucking tits!" Penelope began to cry as she tried pushing him away. His temper flared and he picked up, throwing her onto her bed. Before taking off his belt and opening his pants to stalk over to her curled up form.

"Please! Stop! Leave my room! Please Lord Fife! If you leave, I will tell no one of what you've done." He snorted a short, derisive laugh.

"Of course you won't. Who would believe you?" He attempted to climb atop her and nearly made it before she knees him in his groin. "Argh! You fucking bitch!" Penelope scrambled off the bed and ran for her door. Pulling on it, she panicked when it did not open. Locked! She clicked the lock and was about to pull it open before Lord Fife grabbed her from behind, easily lifting her then throwing her to the floor. "You are mine, you will marry me! After I fuck you on this floor, you'll have no choice. Bridgerton won't want you after my seed has been planted." He tore her stockings off and she screamed. She screamed as loud as she could before he backhanded her so hard she saw spots.

Just then, her door was kicked open. "Unhand her or you die Fife!" The Lord scrambled off her and she curled into the fetal position before sobbing. She felt someone pull her head into their lap.

"Oh, Pen! I was so worried! We've looked everywhere." Eloise was combing her fingers through her hair. "You're safe now. We've got you." Penelope looked around and saw Anthony, Benedict and Lord Debling accosting Lord Fife.

"He was going to, to, to oh god!" She began to cry as she clutched her friend's waist. "He said I'll have to marry him. He said he was going t-to f-fuck me so Colin wouldn't want me anymore." Eloise had never heard Penelope even utter a curse word, so she must've been quoting that fiend Fife. "He didn't though. Y-you got here before...before..." she started to sob again. "I need Colin. Colin."

Colin,

You must come home at once! It's Penelope! She was attacked but the perpetrator was caught before he went any further in his heinous attempt to defile our sweet girl. She has been distraught to the point of mutism. Her last words spoken before folding within herself was her need of you. Make haste, brother!

Anthony

Colin rushed around his room at the inn and collected his belongings before calling for his horse to be brought to him at once. After paying the lady at the desk, he apologised to his host and galloped away.

The two day trek back home was spent in torment. Who attacked his love? Why? He knew he should not have left her, but she insisted that he finish his trip before she would accept his proposal. Oh, Pen! My sweet, beautiful girl! I'm coming!

Poor Argus was about half dead by the time he pull up to Aubrey Hall at 30 past 10 at night, but Colin only had one mission. Find Penelope! "Colin! You're here!" He heard Gregory shout from the top of the stairs. "She's up in Eloise's room!" He took the steps two at a time and rushed to the end of the hall. He opened the door and saw his mother on one side of the bed asleep in a chair then Anthony in another on the opposite side with Eloise asleep in the bed holding one of Penelope's hands.

"Brother," he heard Benedict whisper from behind him. He turned and found him holding a tea tray overladen with cups and biscuits and a pot of tea. "Thought you'd be hungry so I grabbed this when I heard Gregory calling out." He placed the tray down and Colin instantly embraced him. Looking over at his love sleeping with a pinched brow he asked what happened.

When he heard that it was Lord Fife, he saw red. "I'll kill him. If I ever see him, I'll kill him." Benedict explained that the fiend had been arrested for assaulting Penelope. Anthony was going for the maximum sentence and trying to get Fife's title stripped from him. "How did he get to her? Was there nobody watching her? Her mother or sisters?"

"Her mother watched her leave after telling her that she was wanting to lie down after dancing and a glass of wine that made her dizzy. Lord Fife must have slipped from the room either before or some time after she did. He followed her to her room and slipped in when she was not looking and locked the doors. She asked him to leave but he refused and began to fondle her. He grabbed her and threw her to the bed but she kneed him right in the bollocks. She tried to get away and he caught her then he fucking hit her. He tried to rape her and almost succeeded but Anthony and Lord Debling got there in time. Debling beat the shit out of the bastard."

Colin made a mental note to thank Lord Debling. Just then, Anthony roused from his sleep. He jumped up when he saw his brother Colin. He motioned for him to take his chair. As he sat, Penelope whimpered in her sleep. "No, please don't." He looked to his oldest brother. With a nod, he gestured for him to take her hand. It was so small as he dwarfed it in his own hand. He gently stroked the back of her hand with his thumb before whispering his arrival.

"I'm here Pen. Your Colin is here." He pulled her hand to his lips, brushing a soft kiss to it. She instantly calmed and a small smile formed on her lips before she whispered his name as if a prayer. Eloise opened her eyes and smiled at him.

"Bout time you showed up." She grumbled before sliding off the bed, waking her mother. Violet rubbed the crick from her neck then smiled at her son.

"Come. Climb in with her. I know you want to. Let's leave them." Her other children looked shocked at her lack of propriety. "Oh, don't look at me like that. They'll be married soon enough. Come now." She kissed her son's cheek before leaving the room behind her other children, closing the door with a soft click. Colin removed his boots and cravat before climbing into Eloise's bed and pulling Penelope close.

Penelope woke from her sleep to hearing soft snores in her ear. She opened her eyes and saw the love of her life sleeping peacefully next to her. She smiled then lightly touched the curves of his face, tracing it lightly with her fingertips. "Colin?" She whispered.

"Hmm." His chest rumbled against hers.

"Love? Why are you in bed with me?" She asked gently.

"Protecting you from bad dreams." He mumbled as if it were that simple. Then he opened his missy eyes and smiled at her. "Oh, my beautiful girl, I'm so sorry I wasn't there." He pulled her closer, crushing her to him. "Heard you got him good though. My smart, sweet, tough girl." He kissed her forehead.

"I was so scared." She sobbed quietly as he hushed her and pet her hair lovingly, placing small kisses to her head, forehead and cheeks. "Lord Debling broke his hand punching Fife's face. Anthony broke the door down. If it wasn't for them, he would have, oh god!" He held her, wishing he could make it all go away. He let his instincts take over.

He sat up in the bed and lifted her into his lap. Taking out his handkerchief, he dried the tears from her face then cradled her head in his hands. "He cannot hurt you. Not now, not ever." He kissed her lips chastely. "I am never leaving you again." He kissed her forehead. "We are going to get married and have lots and lots of babies." She giggled then he kissed her once more. "No, really. I had a dream. There were twin girls with my eyes and your hair." He kissed her eyelids when she closed her eyes to imagine what he saw.

"I love you, Colin Bridgerton." They stayed there holding each other and kissing softly. Penelope felt the feelings of dread from four nights ago vanish. He was back. He loved her. He was never letting her go.

Unnamed debutante assaulted by former Lord Bertram Fife of Sussex. Queen Charlotte has stripped Mister Fife of his land and titles and given them to his cousin Ernest Walworth of Great Haywood. The debutante was brutalised by Mister Fife on the evening of the 23rd of August. He was apprehended before any defilement occurred but left the young lady with a bruised face. Not only will Mister Fife lose his titles and land, but he was sentenced to 180 days in Newgate Penitentiary and an additional 180 hard labour upon his release at an undisclosed location.

Eloise put the paper down then picked her cup of tea up and took a sip before sighing. Justice had been served for Penelope. Only a fortnight after her horrible ordeal, her and Colin were officially engaged. The mothers were planning a lavish affair while the newly engaged couple spent time together with Francesca chaperoning.

"Miss Eloise, a letter has arrived for you." Eloise got up and thanked Humboldt then eagerly opened up the envelope.

Miss Bridgerton,

I hope this letter finds you and your family well. I heard from Miss Featherington the other day and am please to know she and your brother are officially engaged.

I have been wanting to thank you for tending to my broken hand after the Fife incident. I must say, I cannot seem to get you out of my head. You're very amusing and intelligent. I find that to be extremely attractive qualities.

If I may be so bold as to put forth my wishes to visit you, if you are amenable of course. You intrigue me. Maybe we could write each other? Well, I have already written you, so maybe you could write me back? I look forward to learning more about you and the inner workings that make you, you.

Fondly,

Lord Christopher Debling

Eloise stared at the letter, mouth agape. She had cleaned up, wrapped and iced the man's hand after he beat Fife to a pulp. Penelope was his friend. They'd become closer through their letter writing. He at one time thought they'd make a good match, but knew he could not compete with Colin. She laughed to herself. Imagine. Eloise Bridgerton being sought after by a Lord!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.7K 202 6
This fanfiction is to pick up right after the blow up with Eloise and Penelope! After she is devastated twice for loss of her best friend and the cru...
8.5K 271 12
They may have been friends once but his callous words decimated their relationship. Determined not to have anything to do with him, Penelope is ready...
50.7K 981 12
Colin continues his tour with a trip to Italy. However, when his letters to his dear friend, Penelope, go unanswered, he returns home early to see he...
27.7K 676 31
Penelope Featherington was no longer the same after hearing Colin Bridgerton making fun of her at her mother's ball. She loved that man her entire li...