𝙢𝙮 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨, 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙚𝙮�...

By lilyxmastree

in which you, an aspiring filmmaker, find the perfect actor for your breakout short film. casting is diffic... More

𝙢𝙮 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨, 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙚𝙮𝙚𝙨
𝙤𝙣𝙚
𝙩𝙬𝙤
𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚
𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝙨𝙞𝙭
𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩
𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚
𝙚𝙡𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙫𝙚
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙛𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙤𝙣𝙚
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙩𝙬𝙤
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙨𝙞𝙭
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩
𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙤𝙣𝙚
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙩𝙬𝙤
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙨𝙞𝙭
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮-𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

𝙩𝙚𝙣

638 18 39
By lilyxmastree

CHAPTER TEN

tunnel vision

"you're good to walk home alone?" is what i asked maeve as we neared my house. the moon was peeking out from behind its roof, the night establishing itself in the darkness. and the coldness. all i wanted to do was go inside and warm up.

"i'll be fine," she assured me. "and i don't want to keep you. i can see you shivering." she pointed at me. "or is that you shaking in your boots because you just had a steamy staredown with your crush?"

even though walker had parted ways with us a few minutes ago, i still checked to see if the coast was clear. "shh!"

"you didn't deny it! my plan worked, y/n," she said proudly. "you know, i started the contest 'cause i wanted him to realize how beautiful your eyes are, and i think he did. did you see how flustered he got when you said you liked him? he definitely is interested in you!"

"okay, okay. my delusions aren't your parental responsibility -- you don't need to keep feeding them."

i heard my front door open a long way behind me. dad called out, "y/n! it's getting late, why don't you head inside?"

i waved goodbye to maeve and we both started to walk in opposite directions. my smile faded as i noticed the discontentment on dad's face. "where have you been?"

"i told you. jordyn's," i said darkly, stepping inside and taking my jacket off.

"and what were you doing there?" he crossed his arms and looked at me skeptically.

"homework," i stated. "that's why we brought our schoolbags."

"then why did your aunt tell me that you were watching a movie?"

"it was part of the assignment!"

"apparently jordyn said that you had, quote, 'finished all your work beforehand.' and 'you' was referring to three people? who was the third person? why'd you lie?"

"look, he's just a friend. and that's not a lie!" jeez, i hadn't even got to take my shoes off or regain feeling in my hands.

"he? you're hanging out with a boy right under my nose?"

"damn, dad. you sound like a jealous boyfriend. why don't you tone down the inner teenage self that's coming out right now?"

"excuse me, young lady. when i was your age, i listened to my parents," he rebuked, pointing a stiff finger at me.

a part of me agreed with him, but i couldn't just let him win. that part of me is who i was trying to suppress. "sure, but maybe that's why you were so happy to come home early today. because you don't enjoy your job? it's just the grades that got you into a good college and job, not the actual  passion for it?"

his voice lowered. "this isn't about me."

"it's not about you? isn't this just you--"

"y/n. go to your room."

i just looked at him and his disappointed face for a few seconds before reluctantly obliging. i didn't have the energy to slam the door... or do my homework. plus, i was too scared to go back downstairs where my homework was, and where my phone was, so for the rest of the night, i kind of just sat there.

i contemplated rage-writing a short film, going back to my roots. but the night was weighing down on me, it was pulling me to my bed like a magnet.

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

the rest of the week moved like an out-of-shape hillbilly walking uphill on a one hundred degree day. i got through it by distracting myself with walker, maeve, and jordyn of course. i told them about what happened that night, and none of them were surprised. i wasn't either. we kind of joked about the whole situation. 

and by the time i came home on friday, my dad and i hadn't fought since. but that was because i agreed to show him proof that i did my homework every day for a month, which kept him off my back. some of that proof wasn't necessarily authentic, but i had to do what i had to do. i had been investing more of my time in hanging out with my friends than i had all year. it felt great, don't get me wrong, but there was also that guilt that was constantly crawling within my skin.

"what are you planning on doing this weekend?" asked mom that saturday morning over breakfast. "i hear you've finished all your work. why don't you go out, be young and stupid?"

"i think i will go out with my friend." i nodded firmly.

"okay, maybe not that stupid." she leaned in and whispered, "one time i started going out with a guy friend of mine. it's not worth it."

"i was talking about just hitting the town, mom. but you have got me hooked. why isn't it worth it?" i asked as if i was an interviewer. it would be heuristic -- i did have a big fat crush on my friend after all.

"oh, you know, the usual. he ended up dumping me for the hot girl at the bar. but i thank him for it. i would never have met your father." she chuckled to herself. "i ran into that old friend at the grocery store a few years ago. he married her!"

"interesting," is all i said. that was the truth. i always do find it captivating, the fact that one decision leads to another. the chain of events that leads to the next, which leads to the next, which leads to the creation of a life, a life that could have turned out utterly different if one of those chain links had rusted along the way.

"thanks, for breakfast," i told her, sitting up to put my dishes in the sink. i gave mom a kiss on the cheek before going up to my room to get changed.

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

once i was dressed, i pulled out my phone and opened the notifications i had gotten in the new group chat i had made with maeve and walker.

walker

we still on for today?

maeve

yes!!! are we actually filming?

walker

that's the goal. i bet a tornado will come in on us or something though.

maeve

real. our luck is pretty shitty.

walker

that rhymed

maeve

i know, i'm just shakespeare.

walker

thou art entangled in a web of misfortune.

maeve

beautiful. i just shed a tear.

walker

i tend to have that effect on people. 

that last text was sent as i was reading the rest. putting on my shoes, i joined the conversation.

you

fair tidings, dear comrades! lo, a splendid day graces our presence!

walker

looks like maevespeare has some competition.

maeve

woahhh there fella.

you

shall we rendezvous at the schoolhouse to commence our day of filming?

maeve

methinks it is in our best favor. 

i beseech thee, fetch the gear, whilst i shall furnish the victuals.

you

aye, without hesitation! ere an hour hath passed, we shall be assembled there.

walker

now i have no clue what you guys are saying

maeve

ugh, i miss the renaissance.

see you at like eleven?

you

sounds good :)

walker

ditto

i turned my phone off and headed downstairs, where i asked mom to drive me and the filming equipment to the school. the three of us thought that getting a feel for actually doing this may be more productive than just reading it through, even if that meant we had to go through maeve's acting.

we arrived in the empty front parking lot, which was such an alleviating sight compared to a few days ago's paparazzi incident. luckily, i had anticipated the absence of extras and wrote in for the opening scene to be many hours after school had ended, also a perfect conversation starter for caleb to ask emily what had kept her there.

mom was helping me get the lighting, cameras and such set up when maeve appeared, turning around the school's corner and beginning to near us. we waved to each other and she picked up her pace. i hadn't noticed she was carrying sandwiches wrapped with the logo of our local deli until she was close enough. i questioned how she got from the deli to our school in such a short amount of time, but maeve tended to do things that would create conspiracy theories everyday.

"alright! am i good to go?" mom asked.

"yeah, i think so! thanks," i returned. 

i was wondering why maeve was smirking at something behind me, until walker jump-scared me, asking directly over my shoulder. "hey! are you y/n's mom?"

i flinched, then pushing him toward mom, i said, "yes, this is she."

"nice to meet you," he said, shaking her hand.

"are you the famous walker school-bell that'll be acting today?"

a flare of embarrassment sunk into my skin. "mom, it's scobell."

"oops!" she rubbed her hands together. "okay, well, i'm gonna leave you guys to freeze out here. bye!"

i could tell she wasn't ashamed, and i just had to wave and cringe as she hopped back in the car. for all i know, she could have done that on purpose, as a classic "as a parent, it's my job to embarrass you" move. at least she loves what she does for a living!

"she's a character." i sighed.

"and i thought people pronouncing it 'sco-bul' was bad," walker chuckled.

after hiding my face in my palms and laughing ( it looked as if i was crying, but i was inside anyway ), i gathered myself. "let's get to work."

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

thank you for reading chapter 10!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585K 9.6K 33
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐞 is everything a guy could want and her best friend, jayden, knows everything about her beside the fact she's hopelessly in l...
70.8K 2.3K 28
╰┈➤ 𝐍𝐎 𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐒 𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐀𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐃 ━━ ❝Someone--𝘈𝘤𝘬--help me--𝘈𝘤𝘬--get this--𝘈𝘤𝘬--bitch off me!❞ 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛- you lose your hoodie at...
722K 23.6K 48
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘮𝘰𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘰𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘧𝘶...
127K 4.8K 34
My luck with a guy has been sucks for a while. My friend told me that maybe I need to try a new way. I always take everything seriously in relationsh...