A King and His Queen (Tifa x...

By Megoz7

It has been years since Y/n had last seen his childhood friends. Now as an adult, he returns to his homeland... More

Ch.1: Reunion
Ch.2: Errand Boys and Girl
Ch.3: The Jessie Job
Ch.5: Mako Reactor 5
Ch.6: The Flower Girl
Ch.7: Wall Market Pt.1
Ch.8: Wall Market Pt.2
Ch.9: Spooks and Sewers
Ch.10: All Comes Crashing
Ch.11: Survivors
Ch.12: Before the Rescue
Ch.13: Into the Building
Ch.14: Upper Crust
Ch.15: The Lab
Ch.16: Destiny's Crossroads
Ch.17: New Horizons
Ch.18: The Calm Before...
Ch.19: ...The Storm
Ch.20: Together
Ch.21: Union (Nearly)
Ch.22: Headaches and Heartaches
Ch.22: Trial of Titan
Ch.23: Trial of Ramuh

Ch.4: Tunnels, Tunnels, and More Tunnels

523 30 3
By Megoz7

Before Y/n could fall into a deep sleep, he heard knocking come from the door. "Y/n?" He heard Tifa's muffled voice. "It's open." "You were out for a while." Tifa said as she entered the room. "Couldn't sleep so I went for a walk." Tifa sighed. "I ran into Johnny, by the way. Said not to worry. He was getting out of town." "Oh, right." "You weren't thinking of leaving Midgar anytime soon, were you?" Y/n chuckled. "Do I have to keep reminding you? Said I'm here till you kick me out. Based on what you said, it sounds like I'll be here for the long run." Tifa smiled. "Right, you did say that."

Y/n looked at Tifa who leaned against the while, looking down at her boots. "If you need to talk about something, I'm more than happy to listen." "I'm just glad you're back. Really glad." Tifa yawned. "I'd like to catch up more, but we should probably both get some sleep, yeah?" "Right." Y/n said, wondering why Tifa had checked in on him for seemingly no reason. "Good night." "Good night, Tifa."

The next morning, Y/n was awoken by the sound of wind howling and people shrieking. Quickly rose to his feet as Tifa entered the room. "Y/n!" "What's wrong?" "Come with us, quickly!" Tifa ran out of the room where she joined up with Cloud. "What the hell!?" Y/n exclaimed as he looked up at the sky where hundreds of cloaked figures swarmed around the slums.

"We were getting ready to set out when those things showed up and came after us!" Informed Tifa. "And the others?" Asked Cloud as he drew his sword. "Barret and Jessie are holding their ground, but for how long I don't know." "Let's go." The trio were swarmed by the figures who caught their attention. "You guys ready?" "You know it/Hell yeah." Respnded Tifa and Y/n.

The specters flew towards Cloud who slashed a few down, causing them to disperse. Tifa uppercutted another and used the leverage to dive kick another. Y/n used his Drain Lance to cut down the overhead specters. "Let's head to bar." Cloud announced. "Right behind you." Said Y/n as he thrusted his lance into a specter.

"Bastards just keep coming!" Y/n said as more specters swarmed them. "Keep fighting!" Exclaimed Tifa as she thrashed another pair. Cloud sliced down three more. "What were those things?" Asked Tifa as the swarm suddenly vanished. "No idea." Said Cloud. "Pretty sure you can't see them unless they make physical contact first." "And that's all you can tell us?"

As they rushed towards the bar, their path was blocked by another swarm. "More of them!" Gasped Tifa. "We're running out of time." "Any other way?" Asked Cloud. "Yeah, over here." Tifa lead them around through a neighborhood, but they were once again blocked. "Come on!" Y/n exclaimed in frustration. "Are they trying to stop us from reaching the others?" Pondered Tifa. She looked around for another way. "Come on."

The trio were finally able to arrive were at Seventh Heaven, where they saw Barret and Jessie take on a swarm of specters. "Jessie! Barret!" Called Tifa. "Where you been?!" Questioned Barret. "They just keep coming!" Shouted Jessie. "We've gotta do something!" "Hang on!" Tifa rushed to help the others, but was suddenly pulled away by a pair of specters. "Tifa!" Y/n extended his hand, only for him to be dragged away as well. "Y/n!" Exclaimed Cloud. Specters appeared to confront him. "Get outta my way!" He shouted, slicing the three specters in have. Cloud rushed towards Y/n and swiftly defeated the specters binding him. "Thanks." Y/n said as he composed himself and the two rushed to Tifa's side. Cloud slashed the specters standing in their way as Y/n used his Engine Blade to warp strike the specter holding Tifa down. "Thank you." Tifa said before she round house kicked a specter who targeted Y/n.

"How's your ammo?" Barret asked Jessie who groaned. "Runing low." A specter pushed her gun away. "Shit!" She cried before a specter pushed her down the stairs of the bar. "Jessie!" Gasped Tifa. "Dammit!" Barret cursed. A specter pinned down Jessie, causing her to shriek. The specters took one last look at Cloud before they finally disappeared. "Huh/The hell?" Tifa and Cloud said in unison.

They all turned to Jessie and took to her side. "Jessie." Barret knelt down to check for injuries. "You okay?" Asked Tifa. "Me and my two left feet." She replied, trying to stand up, but failed. "Easy now." The residents of the slums came out and crowded around the party. "We ain't putting in a damn show!" Barret shouted, scaring them off. "What the hell were those things?" Y/n asked. "Like physical ghosts?" "Never can tell what weird shit'll come crawling out of the scrap down here." Said Barret. "It's those reactors, I'm telling you." Cloud knelt beside Jessie. "It hurt?" He asked. "Wish I could say it didn't, but yeah." Cloud picked her up bridal style and carried her into the bar.

Y/n turned to Tifa. "Are you good?" "Yeah. No injuries sustained. Any on you?" "Don't think so." He looked back at the slums around him. "Those things reminded me about the Daemons back home." "Daemons?" "Creatures that come out at night when the moon is out. Those things are as powerful as they are horrifying." "You think those things were Daemons?" "Maybe, but who can truly know." "Come on you two, let's head inside." Said Barret.

Wedge arrived at the bar a few minutes later. "What did you do to your leg?" He gasped, looking down at her bandaged leg. "Does it hurt?" "Not nearly as much as the fuss everyone's making." "Still, I think you ought to avoid putting any-" "I'm fine!" Jessie interrupted Tifa as she took a step forward, only to whince in pain and stumble. "That's enough." Barret shook his head. "You're out Jessie." "Huh, what about the mission? We already sent Biggs in, remember? Don't tell me you're thinking of calling it off!?" "Nah, we got this." He said, not really believing his own words. "The hell you do!" "If you need someone to step up, I'm your man!" Wedge volunteered as he slapped his chest, only to start coughing. Barret sighed and turned to Cloud. "Okay, here's the thing..." "I'm gonna need a raise." Cloud quickly remarked. Barret smiled. "Consider it done! What about you, Y/n?" "Said I'd help didn't I?" "Heh. That you did." He turned back to the others. "Aight everyone, Cloud and Y/n are in. The mission is one!" "Go and raise some hell for me, okay." Jessie requested to Y/n and Cloud. "Hm." Cloud nodded as Y/n gave a thumbs up. "Listen Wedge, I need you to hang back and guard the home front." "What?! But I'm in perfect health!" "Which makes you the perfect choice to look after Jessie and Marlene." Wedge sighed before giving his boss a thumbs up. "Let's get this show on the road... to Mako Reactor 5! Once you've got your gear in order, head to the station for the meet. Got it?" Tifa nodded. Barret walked over to Cloud and handed him some gil. "This'll help you get squared away. Don't tell m I never did anything for ya." He then turned to Y/n and extended his hand. "No need. I'm already set." "Hm? Suit yourself. Barret took his leave towards the station with Tifa following after. "You ready Cloud?" "Let me get some things first. I'll meet you at the station." "Okay."

Cloud exited the bar and passed Tifa who waited near the steps. Y/n soon exited and she turned to her friend. "Alright, let's get going." "Sure, after you take a breathe and relax." "What do you mean?" "You don't have to act all tough around me, Tifa. I can tell your nervous about this." "That obvious, huh?" Tifa took a deep breathe and slowly exhaled. "I just wish I was as calm as you and Cloud are." "I can't speak for Cloud, but I am pretty nervous about what we're going into." "Really? What about?" "The thought of you getting hurt." Tifa was caught off guard. "O-Oh." She blushed. "Y-You know I can take care of myself, right?" "I know. Still doesn't make me any less nervous." Tifa smiled. "Well, how about this; you watch my back and in turn, I watch yours. That we won't be nervous about each other getting hurt." Y/n nodded. "Alright, sounds good." "Promise?" "Promise."

Y/n and Tifa headed towards the station where Barret waited for them. Moments later, Cloud arrived and the team was united. "Alright, people. Mission starts the moment we board that train." Barret informed. "You sure you're ready for this?" "Let's do it." Y/n answered for the group.

"Do you think Biggs is on schedule?" Tifa asked Barret. "All we can do is hope." "Today really got to be the day, huh?" Commented Cloud. "Ain't no stopping this train we're on, son. A lotta people risked their lives to get it rolling. Already put the word out more's coming, too. Shut them all down by today, or we shut another down for you. Ain't on us. Not us."

The train stopped at the tracks and before the party could enter, a pair of Shinra soldiers exited off the train car. "Play it cool." Advised Barret as they passed by. Tifa sighed in relief and the quartet boarded the train.

"This is an an announcement from the Shinra Electric Power Company." Announced a woman's voice over the P.A. system. "The terrorist group, Avalanche, has issued another bomb threat. In response, we have raised the threat level and entered a state of heightened alert. All lived are currently experiencing delays. We anticipate that our arrival in Sector 4 will be later than scheduled."

"The target's Mako Reactor 5." Reminded Barret. From the station, we take the backstreets. Once we're inside the facility, it's the same deal as last time." "Mind filling me in?" Asked Y/n. "Head for mako storage." Cloud answered. "And then blow it all to hell." Barret finished. "Let's do this one for Jessie and Wedge. They deserve it. "Yeah/Sure/Right." Responded Tifa, Cloud, and Y/n.

"I didn't think word would spread this fast." Tifa said with sigh. "There's barely anyone on this train. And non of them look happy to be here." "Might stand out as a group." Barret thought. "You and Y/n stay here. Merc, you're with me." Cloud nodded as he followed Barret to another cart.

"Y/n." Tifa called. "The train will be passing an ID checkpoint shortly." Announced the P.A. system. "Here comes the first hurdle." "Not really a hard one to get passed." "I know, I know. But that doesn't mean I don't have butterflies in my stomach." "Let's keep our mind off of the mission for now then." "Okay. What do you suggest we do?" "Hmmm. Oh, I know. How about when we're finished helping make the world a better place, why not come back to Lucis for a visit. I can show you the citadel where I grew up. And the city is gorgeous." Tifa giggled. "I'd love to." "Oh, and I'm sure you'd love Galdin Quay. It's a rather small, but beautiful resort."

Before Tifa could respond, another scan passed through the train. "Emergency ID scan in progress." "What!? No way!" Tifa exclaimed. "Unauthorized IDs detected." Y/n turned to Tifa. "Shit." "Threat level: critical. Inspection and containment sweep initiated, commencing at the rear of the train." "Not good!" Tifa comments.

Barret and Cloud rushed in from the next car over. "Get over here! Now!" The windows suddenly burst as machines entered the cart. The other passengers screamed and fled towards the other cart. "I got this Tifa, you get the people out of here." Y/n said as he drew out his Hardedge. "On it!"

Y/n lunged forward and used the momentum to swing the massive sword, slicing the Slug-Ray machines in half. "Lockdown protocol initiated." Announced the P.A. "This train car will enter lockdown shortly."

Y/n moved to the next car where Cloud fought more Slug-Rays. The blonde used his bladed to send one crashing into the other, exploding them in the process. Tifa helped the last passenger before shutting the door. Barret began shooting rounds at a Slug-Ray as Tifa picked one up and threw it towards Y/n who impaled it with his lance. "There's no end to them." Said Cloud as he regrouped with the others. "Three unauthorized passengers successfully contained. One authority passenger is held within." Announced the woman's voice. "Wait, Y/n, you're authorized?" Asked Tifa. "Well yes, but not really." More Slug-Rays entered the car. "Screw this." Cloud began. "The station will be crawling with security. We gotta jump." "Screw that!" Barret argued. "Need to slow the train down." "Sounds like a Biggs plan E." Barret began to shoot the car's door too loosen it. Y/n pushed the door off its hinges with ease thanks to Ziedrich. Tifa punched the emergencies brake, causing the train to screech on the tracks as it began to slow down rapidly. "Okay, y'all watch and learn." Barret said, trying his best to amp himself up. "I'm gonna jump. Gonna do it. Gonna show you how it's done!" Barret jumped and rolled onto the tracks. "Tifa!" Y/n called, but was drawn back to the charging Slug-Rays. "Go with her! I'll hold them off!" Said Cloud. "Okay." Y/n took to Tifa's side who looked at him with fear. "It'll be okay." Y/n wrapped his left arm around her waist and jumped off the train along with her. Y/n conjured Ziedrich to break their fall, but the speed was enough to send them stumbling.

Tifa laid on Y/n who held her tight in his arms. The girl lifted her head and stared deeply into Y/n's e/c eyes. Y/n took a glance at her lips before turning back to her eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked. "Yeah." Tifa pulled herself off of Y/n and the two rose to their feet.

"Looks like we got some more company." Y/n said as more Slug-Rays headed their way. "Ready?" "Ready!" Y/n drew his Delta Daggers and began to warp strike each and every machine, causing them to malfunction. Only then did Tifa punch or kick them towards the tunnel walls, causing them to explode. "RAAAAHHHH!" They heard an echoed scream. "That's gotta be Barret." Said Tifa. "Come on."

The two raced down the tunnel to find Barret. "Hey, thanks. For when we jumped from the train, I mean." "No need to thank me. Like we promised each other, I got your back and you've got mine, right." Tifa smiled. "Right."

"It's them! We have a visual on the target!" Shouted a Shinra soldier. Y/n looked at Tifa who rushed towards the patrol. He conjured Ziedrich and tried his best to prevent killing them. Tifa pirouetted from a soldier who shot at her, allowing Y/n to close in and slam his shield against the soldier, sending him flying towards the wall. Tifa began took a stance as a ring of green light began to glow around her. "Take this!" She send a blast of ice which froze a soldier over. Tifa proceeded to kick another's face before using her shoulder to send him flying down the tracks. Y/n finished the last soldier by uppercutting a soldier and kicking him down.

"RAAHH" They heard Barret's battle cries once again. "He's close." Tifa looked to the side. "There!" Barret stood across another tunnel which was barred off. "Tifa! Could use some help here!" "We're coming!" "Be quick! Should be some stairs over there!" "We'd better hurry!" "Right behind you!" Y/n followed Tifa up some stairs and onto a catwalk that lead them to the other side of the tunnel.

Tifa jumped off of the catwalk and dive kicked a Slug-Ray. Y/n remained on the catwalk and threw his Delta Daggers. He would materialize, throw, dematerielize; repeating the cycle which allowed Tifa and Barret to destroy the machines without much worry about being shot. A few soldiers entered the scene wielding grenade launchers. Y/n took notice and used his lance to warp towards Barret. A soldier launched a grenade, but fortunately for the Avalanche leader, Y/n shielded him. "Nice save." Barret complimented before he charged his gattling gun and took aim. "Let me return the favor!" He shot three charges which exploded around the soldiers, taking them down. "That's gotta be the last of them, right?" Tifa panted. "Aw, who cares? We can take em!" Barret chuckled. "Where's blondie?" "Right here." Cloud appeared behind the trio. "Damn Slug-Rays kept slowing me down."

"Now then, since we're all together again, let's confirm our position and get back on the mission." Barret suggested. "That reactor's waiting!" The four looked at the map before them. "Looks like it's gonna be plan E." "Go on." Urged Cloud. "Plan A was if everything went off without a hitch. From the station, it would've been a straight shot to the reactor. Didn't work out, but we knew going in we had to have alternatives. Backup plans in case we had to get off early. From closer in to further out, B,C,D, and so on." "Up to what?" "To E." Answered Tifa. "Lucky us." Barret laughed. "You're damn right." "Anyway, we were riding the train between Sector 4 and the main pillar when he had to bail out." Said Tifa as they checked a map of the tunnel network. "We ended up on the adjacent line, which should take us to Reactor 5." Barret nodded in agreement. "That's right. So for now, we follow the tracks." Y/n glanced at the at a camera that was recording them. He extended his hand and shot a bolt of lightning, destroying it. "Shinra's gotta be monitoring our every move, why else do you think their security always appear where we are?" Said Y/n. "Best we take care of the cameras." "Let's move, then." Said Tifa as she began to lead the way forward. Barret smirked and extended his gattling gun arm forward. "It's a straight shot to victory, people! And all we gotta do is take it!"

The party once again followed the tracks. "Why did the ID scan say you were authorized, Y/n?" Asked Tifa. "Because I'm technically holding a real ID, only thing is I'm going by an alias: Ignis Scientia." He answered. "I'm visiting Midgar to study the culinary arts." "Huh." "Where'd the name come from?" Asked Cloud. "A friend of mine. Using his name."

After defeating more of Shinra security, the party came across a set of stairs with graffiti on the wall beside them. "There's the marker!" Barret announced. "Come on." He pointed at the graffiti of a dog wearing a helmet. "In nose we trust." "Good thing our colleagues put up all that Stamp graffiti." Said Tifa. "Without it, we'd be lost for sure."

"Uh, guys, what's that?" Tifa asked as she pointed at a creature below the catwalk they passed. "Can't be good." Said Barret. "Is that it's nest?" "All kinds of creepy crawlies make themselves at home in the plate, then get messed up even more by the mako." "Mako did this?" "No. Not mako. Shinra." Cloud looked at Barret. "What?" "That black and white world of yours." "Ya like it huh? You know there's more room for one more." "I'll think about it."

The party walked walked down the stairs onto the platform where a scorpion like creature hissed at them. Barret began to shoot rounds at the beast who slithered towards them. "It's to slippery!" Barret exclaimed. Y/n and Tifa used their Blizzard spells to slow down the Grashtrike. Cloud rushed towards the monster and imapled it with his sword.

More Grashtrikes slithered towards the team as they ventured forward. Y/n used his Engine Blade to slash away a Grashtrike's stinger before Tifa jumped in and slammed its head with the heel of her boot. Cloud distracted another Grashtrike by deflected it's attacks, allowing Barret to sneak behind and defeat it with a gattling charge.

A rumble erupted from the wall as a much larger Grashtrike erupted from a nest. "Holy crap!" Tifa exclaimed. "So you must be the queen, huh?" Said Barret.

The queen shot a blast of web which exploded near the group. Y/n charged forward with his shield, helping Tifa close in as well. Cloud slashed the incoming web bombs as he lunged forward to pierce the queen. She roared before bringing down her stinger which Y/n parried. Tifa rushed in and backflip kicked the queen, stunning her. Barret released three charges which caused the queen to stumble. Y/n and Cloud shared a look and nodded. The blonde slashed the queen's torso twice before Y/n followed up by impaling it with his lance.

"Good work team." Y/n praised. "I ain't no exterminator." Barret spat. "Why I gotta kill all these nasty ass bugs?" Tifa sighed. "I know. Those things really creep me out." "A train's gonna get derailed by one of em these days." "Shinra should do something." "After an accident they will." "When it's too late then."

The group continued through the nests with no more distractions. They came across another set of stairs with more graffiti. "There's good ol Stamp." Commented Barret as the passed the graffiti of the war dog. "Check his nose." "This isn't bad you know." Said Tifa. "Yeah, they really captured the essence of corporate propaganda."

They were crossing another catwalk when they noticed a man using a flamethrower to burn the nests. "Check it out." Began Tifa. "I guess Shinra is doing something about those monsters after all." "Doing a half assed job looks like." Responded Barret. "We could continue to do their work for them?" Poised Y/n in a joking matter. "Hell no!"

The men turned to the party who walked down the stairs. "Hey! How did you get down here?" A flame trooper questioned as he aimed his weapon. "I guess we're the pests now." Said Cloud as he drew his sword and quickly took down the flame trooper. Another soldier fired his rifle at Y/n who phased through them.

Barret fired round into the soldier, killing him. "That it?" Cloud asked as Tifa sent one flying into a pile of boxes.

The group finally made it out of the nest and continued down another tunnel. "Getting damn tired of being couped up in here." Y/n sighed. "Nothing, but the smell of rust, smoke, and oil to fill up your lungs." "Don't worry, we'll get there eventually." Tifa reassured with a smile. "Yeah, yeah."

After passing through around gate, and passed through several maintenance rooms, they entered a service tunnel where they found another Stamp. "This is the secret passageway!" Exclaimed Barret. Tifa walked towards a rusted machine, whose eyes began to glow.

"Tifa, get back!" Y/n warned as the machine suddenly sprung to life. "What the!?" The machine began to fire at it's first sighted target, Barret. The gum armed man rolled behind cover just in time. "That all you got!" He exclaimed as the machine moved towards him. The others regrouped with Barret who came out his cover. "Someone's mad." Cloud commented. "Take your best shot, asshole!" Barret challenged.

"Looks like an old model." Commented Cloud. "A Crab Warden." The machine raised its front legs and smashed them down, knocking back Barret and Tifa due to the impact. "What do we do?" Asked Tifa with a groan. "Aim, for it's legs." Informed Cloud. "Barret, Tifa! You guys draw it's fire while Y/n and I knock it down." "You got it!" Nodded Barret. "Hey you tin can!" Barret unloaded rounds upon rounds of bullets onto the Crab Warden, drawing it's attention to him. Tifa supported Barret by casting a barrier spell, protecting them from its bullets.

Y/n drew his Hardedge and followed Cloud to combat. "Get close and aim for the joints connecting the leg to it's body." Said Cloud. "On it!" The blonde swordsman lept into the air and used all of his forced to impale the weakpoint. Y/n brought down the heavy blade over his shoulder, slicing into the joint.

The machine toppled over, revealing a mouth on its mask like face. "You see that?" Asked Tifa. "That's it's heart, a mako generator." Said Cloud as he turned to attack the core. The Crab Warden roared and fired missiles at the party. Cloud was caught off guard, but fortunately, Y/n was able to warp towards Cloud and protected him from the missiles with his shield. The force of the missiles was enough to send the still airborne Y/n crashing into a storage container. "Y/n!" Tifa cried before the Warden composed itself and sealed its core. "Damnit." Cloud muttered, looking at Y/n's downed body. "Tifa, go help Y/n, we'll cover you." Said Barret as he fired towards the Crab Warden's legs. "Okay."

Tifa took to Y/n's side as the other two drew the machine away from them. Y/n groaned slightly as he tried to stand, but fell back. "Y/n, are you okay?" Tifa asked as she helped him stand. "Y-Yeah." Y/n groaned. "Think I'm good." Tifa nodded. "Cloud! He's up!"

Cloud glanced at his friend who gave him a thumbs up. The blonde grew furious with himself that he had gotten careless which caused a friend to get hurt. Barret fired charges at the legs which caused the Warden to topple over once more. "Hell yeah!" He cheered as Cloud once again rushed in, this time prepared for the defensive missiles. Cloud evaded the missiles and closed in on the core, using several powerful strikes which created a Kanji, resulting in the machine to shut down.

"That was awesome." Complimented Y/n as he and Tifa made their way over to them. "Took a helluva hit, you good?" Asked Barret. "Mhm. Definitely gonna feel this when I'm old." Y/n joked, earning a laugh from Barret and a small chuckle from Tifa, who was still worried Y/n was more injured than he admits. Cloud, however, didn't find the joke amusing. "I got careless, and that got you hurt. I'm s-" "Don't." Y/n interrupted. "What are friends for, right?" Cloud still had a worried look. "I'm fine." Said Y/n as he placed his hand on his friend's shoulder. "Let's get outta here." "Okay." "This way then." Said Barret as he finally lead them forward.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.6K 1K 26
Y/N L/N is a former SOLDIER: 1st Class turned member of the eco-terrorist group, Avalanche; whose sole mission is to protect the Planet and its Mako...
11.3K 262 11
Set after the events of advent children, Cloud struggles to become the 'real' family Tifa desperately wants them to become. This story is now complet...
5.5K 62 8
After having beaten Sephiroth and saving the planet, as well as putting down Shinra for good, Cloud and his allies can final get some rest and relaxa...
1.7K 38 15
She's planned this for years. After learning about her father's greed and carelessness, young [Y/N] Shinra takes it upon herself to abandon her role...