THE BABY PROJECT || HUANG REN...

Od ready_freak

❝Uhmm, what the fuck is that?❞ ❝Oh my God, that is our baby!❞ _________________________________________ One f... Více

DISCLAIMER & PRELUDE
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 9
CHARACTER AESTHETICS
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15

CHAPTER 8

77 5 0
Od ready_freak

Sieun hustled through the aisles of produce, dropping unnecessary items back to their spots while stocking on the necessities. Renjun and Eui trailed behind her like lost puppies, eyes following her rushing form, making sure to stay close so they didn't get lost amidst the shoppers. The put-together family of three garnered the attention of everyone present, the image of a young couple tending to parenting duty blossoming warmth in the hearts of the onlookers. 

"—aren't they cute?"

"I saw the father pile up two carts full of baby products—"

"—Must be new parents."

"Aren't they too young to be parents, though?"

"You're too old to be ignorant."

"Yeah, just shut your mouth—"

"I want a beer."

Sieun, too busy scanning the cart, failed to hear the varied comments of the passerby. But Renjun did, and the discussions turned the tips of his ears pink. 

"Are they students here in NCU?"

"Aww, what a cute family!"

"He's holding their baby while she's shopping—"

Awkward and shy was not how Renjun had anticipated the shopping trip to turn into. He had envisioned a quick pick-up and, eventually, an easy run to the finish line with a good credit to decorate his marksheet. 

However, since the start, nothing seemed to go as planned. The numerous emotions flashing through his features were way over his average of two— indifferent and annoyed— which stunned him because he never thought he could portray his feelings so easily, that too, before a person he hadn't interacted with since highschool... Sieun.

His eyes locked on the girl, and a tingling sadness seized his heart, the pain so strong that he had to knead his chest with the heel of his free hand to lessen it. Only, the pulsating intensified.

It was unexpected.

Renjun thought that he was way past the period to feel that way. But, it wasn't, and amidst the departmental store teeming with aimless shoppers, gossiping students, and an indifferent cashier, the place suddenly felt too small and discomforting.

He lowered his head and closed his eyes, entering a weird hazy space between awareness and ignorance. Vaguely, he perceived the hushed murmurs around him and a pair of slow, steady footsteps echoing before him. Perhaps, a shopper? Or a staff?

He should revert to indifference, open his eyes, and let the emotionlessness mask the feeling of anguish running untamed within him.

Just five more seconds.

Renjun tightened his hold around Eui. Then he moved closer to the left self so there was plenty of room to slip past him. 

The footsteps reached him, and then they stopped.

A pit of despair materialized in his stomach. Reluctantly, he opened his eyes to find a pair of sneakers lined up toe to toe with his.

"Renjun?" Her voice entered his headspace. 

Of course, it was her.

He raised his head to look at her. 

Cart parked behind her. Cheeks flushed pink from the cold. A little wrinkle between her eyebrows. Concern glazed Sieun's gaze. "Are you okay?"

Renjun remained impassive. "What do you mean?"

"Your cheeks are flushed." She pointed at the pink tints. "Are you coming down with a fever or something?"

He blinked. And then he scowled so hard it almost hurt. "I'm fine, Sieun." The voice crack betrayed him.

Sieun's eyes were wide. Her worry escalated. 

"Are you sure you're not sick—" She suddenly stopped before more words could escape her lips, some kind of epiphany crawling at the back of her tongue and holding it frozen. A deep inhale and a faltering smile later, she said, "I'm done. Let's pay and head back to your car? You should take the stuff with you since you'll have Eui for the night."

Renjun nodded. Together they headed to the self-checkout— Eui now transferred back to Sieun's arms— scanned the items, and paid the bill. Late evening crouched by the time they were out of the store, traffic dwindled as they crossed from one block to the next until they were at the parking lot next to the Education Department building. The place was almost empty and the negligible cars parked were covered to safeguard it from sudden spring downpours.

Renjun loaded his trunk with baby products. "Can you spare a few minutes? I'll fix the car seat for her."

Sieun shrugged. "Sure."

In silence, they stood, one busy with a latch as he fixed the car seat, while the other watched. It was dark now, light only available from the streetlight or illuminated headlights from passing vehicles. Beyond the sound of the thuds and thunks, the plaintive bark of a dog echoed through the space, sending a shiver down her spine.

Seeing as he had stopped, Sieun asked. "Are you done?"

Renjun dropped her a doubtful look. "I think."

"Shall we test it out?" When Renjun gave her the signal, Sieun lowered Eui into the Go and Grow booster car seat. Using the quick-fit system on top of the headrest to adjust the height, she pulled the strap and buckled her up. 

"She's all ready to go." Her smile stretched from ear to ear. "I fed her, and the diaper's secure under her onesie. I think you'll be fine for the night." Then, in a softer, sweeter tones, she cooed, "Right, Eui?"

The plastic baby babbled in response.

Sieun giggled and glanced over at him. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

Renjun gave her a nod of approval. "Good night, Sieun."

"Good night, Renjun."

⸻x⸻

After sending Renjun and Eui off, Sieun embarked on the uncomplicated route to Zachary's Diner just outside the west gate of the campus. Walking required mental toughness and physical endurance, which she lacked, but she forewent the bus in hopes of preparing herself for the hectic night ahead. Besides, NCU was steady on the pavement, a perfect place to lose track of exhaustion and worry and enjoy the spring breeze and varying colored flowers in full bloom.

Determined-looking joggers and cyclists bypassed in a blur and vanished into the night.

Sieun sighed.

Afternoon's shenanigans poured amidst the momentary ecstasy, and she inhaled a lungful of sweet earthly aroma through her nose and exhaled slowly through parted lips to dispelled it. Yet, the once cool breeze now felt stuffy and itchy as she recalled her time with Renjun despite her silent protest.

Was the heart supposed to be such a fickle organ?

She almost did something stupid. She almost worried about Renjun again, which, was a massive black hole in the dictionary of "crushes" because once she slipped in, there was no way out. Not this time around. 

No way in hell was she going to develop a crush again on Renjun. She didn't need a little spice in her life, or something fun to look forward to. No. She needed more pressures and responsibilities and tasks to get a hold of her fluttering heart, or her goals would be as good as dead.

Fuck it.

Sieun swung her backpack around her stomach and unzipped one pouch after another, rifling around for something. Locating what she was looking for, she pulled it out and secured it around her writs. The hair tie was tight. Closing her eyes, she discerned her fast-paced heart, slid a finger between the rubber and skin, stretched the tie out, and let it snap back into place. 

A sharp sting jolted through her arm, forcing her brain to replace the image of a developing crush with pain.

She flickered her eyelids open and smirked. 

Sieun wasn't going to let the boy send her down the spiraling pit of unrequited love again.

With a skip in her step and a smile stretched on her lips, she crashed through the door of the diner and began her shift for the night.

If you find mistakes in the chapters, please inform me so that I can correct them. Thank you.

Enjoy :)

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

70.2K 2K 70
"누나!!" "姐姐!!" "お姉さん!!" Cₒₘₑ ₐₙd ₑₓₚₑᵣᵢₑₙcₑ ₜₕₑ cᵤₜₑₙₑₛₛ ₒᵥₑᵣₗₒₐd, ₗₒᵥₑₗy, cₕₐₒₛ ₐₙd fᵤₙₙy ₘₒₘₑₙₜₛ wᵢₜₕ Nₐᵣₐ ᵢₙ bₐbyₛᵢₜₜᵢₙg NCT'ₛ ₘₐₖₙₐₑ ₗᵢₙₑ ₍₉₉₋₀₂...
1.5K 58 49
||In the end I don't know whether you'll stay or leave again.|| Replied to your 'close friends' story: yellowjun_: Frightening at best, now at worst...
14.7K 375 33
Have you ever wondered what your favourite Kpop groups do behind the scenes. Well here are my thoughts of what goes on when the camera turns off. shi...
325 33 7
❝I think we found our forever at the wrong time.❞ ~~~ 나 재민 FANFICTION NCT DREAM Highschool AU STATUS: ON GOING neocultss_ 2024