Prince of snakes | Dramione

Da Mirabella_29

The war is over. Voldemort has been defeated. While Hermione Granger tries to keep face, demonstrating the co... Altro

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 15

187 5 0
Da Mirabella_29

"The first weeks consisted of collecting as many happy memories as possible to produce the Patronus spell. I hope your research was productive!" exclaimed the professor against the defenses of dark arts, emerging into the large room.

The offices had disappeared again and all that remained was a very large corridor with many mirrors against the walls. The Madrick BoeilFleur course was plunged into darkness. The room transformed each week to prepare the Hogwarts students for the assistance of a new non-verbal spell. Today was no exception.

Her irises lost in the vagueness, Hermione did not immediately feel the brush against her wrist. Harry stared at her, a small, sad smile tugging at the corner of his lips. Since her altercation with Ginny, the young Gryffindor no longer had the pleasure of seeing her best friend every day. They avoided each other and it was for the best. Hermione gave them space and although Harry understood that, she knew how much it cost him not to be able to communicate with her all day. They sent each other owls to tell each other certain anecdotes. And the young woman no longer took the trouble to join them at the big Gryffindor table. The discomfort remained present and she could not see herself adding fuel to the fire. Ginny deserved peace and if her absence gave it to her, so be it!

Hermione ate late, knowing full well that her classmates were no longer in the Great Hall at those times. Smiling softly at her best friend, she squeezed his fingers and turned her attention to the rest of the lesson. The last few weeks had been hectic. She hadn't written much in her notebook. To tell the truth, ... she preferred not to talk about it, the embarrassment made her cheeks turn red just thinking about it.

Since the evening, Malfoy had resumed his habits with unparalleled care. He avoided her like the plague. She shouldn't be surprised, yet the sting against her chest only proved her otherwise. She was hurt by his silence and indifference. Whatever had happened between them, it had disappeared like the glow of the sun in the early morning. There was only this persistent emotional distance of incomprehension.

"After reflection with the headmistress of Hogwarts, we concluded that it would be more judicious to start casting the spell when we returned from the Christmas holidays. Today, we will then take the time to cast a non-verbal spell."

BoeilFleur, with his long blond mane, observed each student with a goofy smile. When he looked at Hermione, she held her breath, her fists clenched. She still didn't like his approach, but her fury had been charged with curiosity since the first lesson. The professor against the forces of dark arts was not ill-intentioned and the young Gryffindor had to admit it: they had learned much more in the space of a few weeks than in several years. She was grateful for that. Pursing her lips, to contain her emotions and her desire to raise her hand, she waited for the rest of his explanations.

"You will be paired for the next hour. You have free time to try to cast a curse on your opponent silently."

There was laughter in the room. BoeilFleur added in an amused voice, one eyebrow raised.

"I expect your hexes to be gentle and friendly to your comrades."

Hermione smiled. Definitely, the professor must have been a former Slytherin, so great was his insubordination. Cast a spell on a student to learn? And not giving any indication as to the curse to be given? What a strange way of teaching!

Harry, catching her gaze, gave her a shrug.

"If I have the good fortune of being with Malfoy, I will try to cast the spell on him to block his tongue. He deserves to no longer be able to speak, this stupid ferret."

Hermione burst out laughing. Blokclang. She had already thrown it at the Slytherin and her best knew nothing about it. Draco would be furious if he was paired with Harry, she was sure. But in view of the young man's incandescent irises resting on her person, the young woman told herself that he would be more frustrated if he ended up with her.

"You can be more original than that, Harry," she whispered so as not to be heard by the other students.

"What would you do?"

"I'd probably grow him a third ball, just for the fun of watching him walk sideways."

Harry choked on his beard as he contained his laughter.

"Merlin! You are terrifying, Hermione. Don't become my partner. I wouldn't want any nasty changes to happen to my body."

"Oh, Harry, come on! I would be nice to you," she whispered.

He gave her a fearful look and she giggled back. Raising her little face towards the board, Hermione saw her first name intertwined with Theodore Nott. Interesting, she thought. The tall man winked back. With a movement of his hand, he invited her to join him.

The walls mummified into several rooms, before the amazed eyes of the many students. Turning a corner to join her classmate, Hermione vaguely heard behind her:

"Wish Nott luck, he'll need it."

"I'll pass the word on to him," she crooned happily.

Theodore, his eyes cloudy, found himself leaning against the window of the right wing of the course. He observed her with a morbid and indiscreet curiosity. He was not suspicious, on the contrary. If Hermione thought she had put off the Slytherins through the events of the day before, she was only surprised. She had only aroused their morbid interest in her person. Biting her lower lip, suddenly embarrassed, she stood two meters from him, her cheeks hot with embarrassment.

"Are you staying a safe distance from me to avoid swinging your fists, Miss Fighter?"

Hermione smiled beneath his mocking intonation.

"Maybe, I wouldn't want to damage your pretty face."

"Ah," he breathed theatrically. "You are flattering me. The Golden Girl who finds me beautiful, what more can I ask ?"

"Don't get any ideas, Nott. I would even find an earthworm beautiful. Not enough to grow wings."

"Ouch," he mimed, pinching his heart, lips pursed teasingly. "If it's not my beauty that's stopping you from coming closer, what is?"

"I'm not afraid of you, Nott."

"Prove it then, Granger."

"Good."

"Perfect," he commented, this time an indescribable glow in the depths of his irises as she moved closer to his tall body.

He was awfully tall and she had only noticed it now. Raising her small head to peer at him through her eyelashes, she crossed her arms in a protective posture. One eyebrow arched in the air, his face hooked in mockery, Hermione quickly thought of her next spell. Concentrated, she imagined making a movement with her wand, her body tense, even though she was not making the slightest movement. She was tired of the Slytherins making fun of her. She was not a circus beast and she was going to make him understand that.

Nott's teeth, seemingly white and impeccable, began to grow excessively. With his hand pressed against his mouth, his face stunned, the tall man no longer made the slightest movement. She returned to him his mocking smile.

"Is everything okay, Nott? I can help you if you want, it looks... painful?"

She vividly remembered the moment Draco Malfoy had cast the Dentesaugmento curse on her in first year. Her revenge was short, because after reaching catastrophic greatness, his teeth returned to their original shape.

"Damn it, Granger!" exclaimed the Slytherin, his cheeks red with embarrassment. "You are vicious at heart. Are you sure you're in the right house?"

"I could say the same thing about you. I didn't know you were so sweet, Nott."

He muttered what sounded like "unbelievable" under his breath, before flicking his wand at her. Hermione felt the heat spread against her face and understood. He came to throw her the Furunculus spell. Soon blisters would cover her face. With a skillful movement, with closed lips, she neutralized the spell. Finite, she thought eagerly. She had succeeded and Theodore observed her with a pout so impressed that she almost found it funny.

"Have you ever practiced non-verbal curses?"

"Yes," she admitted. "Ever since Malfoy found himself in my dorm, I've been practicing at night, thinking about his stupid face."

Nott looked around the rest of the room, as if looking for the tall blond man. He pursed his lips, holding back a scoff.

"It's a shame," the Slytherin began, moving closer to her, analyzing her with his eyes meticulously. "I'm sure if we had known each other before, we would be good friends."

"Really ? Don't make me think you would have noticed me before."

"If you only knew," he whispered, running a hand through his brown hair, suddenly out of breath.

"Besides, I know what happens to your friends. They mostly end up in your bed. We would be comrades at most, that's all."

"It's not wrong," he laughed, regaining his confidence. "But you see, I will have started to appreciate you friendly at first. Then afterwards, I would have taken advantage of your genius brain to copy you in class."

"How nice," she sneered, beguiling.

"As the weeks go by, I'll realize how great you are and then, one night of debauchery, I'll try to kiss you."

Hermione silenced her embarrassment with a fit of coughing. It was just teasing, nothing more, she forced herself to think, her heart pounding in her chest. The Slytherin had no interest in her. He only had fun destabilizing her. She returned then in his game, feigning a dull indifference.

"What would my answer be?"

Theodore moved closer, delicately grabbing one of her locks.

"Option 1: you would slap me hard and it would hurt. But I will forgive you."

She nodded back, confirming his choice and he laughed.

"Option 2: you will kiss me in return."

"You're way too confident for this to be balanced for your brain, Nott."

"I know, my partners tell me that too."

She shook her head, laughing.

"Then we would have children and live together until the end of time."

Hermione pretended to vomit under his teasing and he chuckled under his breath.

"The option of children has just turned me off. Thanks for the offer, but no."

"No kids then and that's it! Shall we kiss now?"

Hermione pushed back laughing as he raised his eyebrows. He pretended to be hurt by her action.

"Does it really work with your conquests?"

"If I told you yes, would you pretend to vomit again?"

"Possibly," she grimaced.

She couldn't admit it to herself, but Theodore was very... amusing in his approach. They didn't even do the course instructions, but Hermione, surprisingly, didn't care. She liked to spend these moments of peace arguing on topics of discussion without head or tail. There was no expectation in their banter. It was just a matter of childishness and, with a mischievous heart, the Gryffindor offered him a smile.

"I propose a third option," growled the dulcet voice of Draco Malfoy, who had just landed beside them. "You concentrate on your lessons and stop licking each other's faces."

"Draco," Nott cried with emotion, his arms outstretched.

His mischievous eyes shone with challenge.

"I didn't know you were so studious."

"Times are changing," he growled beneath his words.

Hermione smiled. Malfoy alternated between hot and cold. He thought he would continue to lure her, even though since the day before, he had taken horrible care to glare at her.

"If you're so focused on your classes, where is your partner?"

Her voice oozed of provocation and the Slytherin stared at her with deep bitterness.

"If you pay the slightest attention to what is going on around you, you will realize that the professor finished five minutes ago."

His voice held a dull menace. Theodore choked in his beard and sped away, his cheeks burning.

"That was nice, Miss Know-It-All. See you later."

And he slipped away in two or three movements. Annoyed, Hermione looked at the tall blond, trying to calm the beating of her body. They found themselves alone within the four walls of the Defense Against the Dark Arts class and no one could disturb them. Which could mean many things.

Making a move to run away, Malfoy grabbed her arm, suddenly furious.

"You're not going anywhere."

"And why would I listen to you? You seemed to not appreciate my presence since last night. What has changed since then?"

"What changed was your shitty attitude towards my best friend."

"What ?" she gasped, suddenly outraged.

"Don't play innocent, Granger. Theo has a crush on you and it's not mutual. So leave him alone!"

"This is ridiculous, Malfoy! Don't hide behind excuses to distract me. Nothing is going on between your best friend and me. He is very nice and the complete opposite of you. Maybe you should face reality."

"And what is it ?"

His voice was furious. His grip became more abrupt and he pinned her against his chest, breathing raggedly. Hermione used all her energy not to give in to his touch. When she was cradled in his arms, she wanted to forget the whole world. He had that power over her, but not today.

"You are the person who is interested in me right now, not your friend. And you are terribly jealous!"

Her accusation only deepened his irritation and pursing his lips, the Slytherin forced himself to slow his breathing, he was so agitated.

"Me, jealous?"

He burst out laughing coldly and the intonation of his scandalized voice crushed her heart. She forced herself to look at him, her lips trembling.

"The world doesn't revolve around you, Granger. I thought I made myself clear: there are plenty of girls I could be interested in. Why would I waste my time with you? You're... low-end."

He seemed to force the last words from the barrier of his lips. Or at least, maybe that was what Hermione hoped. She could no longer read truth from falsehood in his gestures and words. He was too unpredictable.

"If that's really the case then...What does this conversation mean? Why would you waste your time holding me against you, trembling with anger?"

He released her abruptly at her words, as if he had been burned.

"This is a warning, Granger. Leave my friends alone!"

"Should I stop talking to Pansy too or is this just about boys approaching me?"

Her voice belched in rage as Draco started to move towards the exit. He froze. He was as angry as she was.

"Fuck you, Granger!"

"With pleasure, Malfoy!"

Their bodies trembling with animosity and their eyes incandescent, they continued to kill each other with their gazes, exasperation on the end of their lips. Who would dare break contact? Who would let go of the socket? Hermione did not dare to do so, her heart radiating with resentment and passion for the Slytherin. Him and only him. From the beginning. And that wasn't likely to change.

"When you grow inside and realize that you want me, come see me. I would happily open my door for you," she hissed bitterly.

She had just repeated his same words during the party in the Slytherin common room and he realized it, eyes wide. He wanted to go around her to escape her presence, but she blocked his path, her chin raised with a glint of defiance shining in her irises.

"What will it cost you to admit it?"

Her voice had become softer, almost pleading, and Malfoy seemed to be cracking from the inside. Breath against her lips, he did not dare to make the slightest movement, suddenly petrified.

"Everything, it would cost me everything."

Without more, he slammed the door abruptly, leaving with his departure a myriad of confused and foggy emotions in Hermione Granger's heart. Who was he really trying to protect with his distance? Was it for his own good or for her?

___________________

"Miss Granger, thank you for responding so quickly to my summons. I know it's late, but it couldn't wait, it's important."

Hermione found herself within the four walls of the Hogwarts headmistress' office, picking at her nails. When she finished her classes at the end of the day, she was surprised to receive a red envelope on her nightstand in her room, summoning her to join McGonagall as quickly as possible.

The young Gryffindor didn't know what to expect since their last meeting. It was not trivial to make reports as prefect, but to travel in person to discuss with the head of the establishment at such a late hour? It was improbable. Pursing her lips, suddenly anxious, Hermione waited for her former teacher's verdict. She automatically wiped her sweaty hands against her pleated skirt, her heart heavy with apprehension. She found herself sitting in the large armchair facing Minerva. With an austere and tired aura, the director seemed prey to a horrifying doubt. Was she as stressed as the young student?

With her hand placed against her forehead, she seemed to be fighting an obstacle, a nearby horror. Hermione gulped under her observation.

"Is everything okay, Mrs. McGonagall?"

"Hermione," the headmistress whispered, suddenly sad. "I always ask a lot of you, I apologize. I know that you are a brilliant student, who puts in a lot of effort for all your classmates and friends and I would like to be able to lighten up your shoulders, but... I have to tell you something, my dear."

Hermione held her breath, with this unhealthy feeling of drowning from the inside. Why did Minerva seem so desperate? What was she hiding from her? What did she have omitted at their last interview? Did she know about her pains? Her inability to control her emotions? Did she know about the fight that had caused all the rage in the Slytherin common room? Had Marcus Flint reported her? Was she going to be expelled from Hogwarts?

Bile in the back of her throat, she felt her eyes fill with tears. Minerva realized this and stood up automatically, her mask of indifference replaced by a glow of maternal love.

"I bear bad news for the magical world around us. It is not about your departure, my dear child."

Hermione took a deep breath. She couldn't feel reassured by her words. The lump that had taken possession of her throat gathered in her stomach with such force that she almost croaked in pain.

"When I made you Prefect, Granger. I didn't have bad intentions, but they weren't noble."

McGonagall paced around her office frantically.

"A lot of things are happening now since the War. Events that are hidden from the newspapers and the Ministry. Only Kingsley and a few loyal wizards know."

Hermione thought. Why take the time to explain this information to her if no one seemed to be aware of it? What had happened since the war? Was this a large-scale threat? Was it to protect the students that the secret remained so well buried in the heart of the headmistress of Hogwarts?

"I see your questioning through your eyes, Miss Granger, and I understand. I would have liked to have the time to meet with you later to discuss it discreetly, but the situation is evolving quickly and unfortunately, I have no other choice but to skip certain information."

"McGonagall, what exactly is going on?" she finally asked, her throat tight.

"Voldemort has been defeated, but his compatriots are still at large. Some are serving in Azkaban for their penalty against the magical world and Muggles. And others try to live a calmer life, like some students at Hogwarts."

Like Draco Malfoy, she thought.

"Do you remember what I told you when we first met, Miss Granger?"

She nodded thoughtfully.

"You told me that there is a lot of hatred towards Former Death Eaters, both between our houses, but also outside of Hogwarts."

"Exactly. And unfortunately, murders are happening. To atone for the pain caused, some wizards attempt to take justice into their own hands, by torturing Death Eaters without an ounce of guilt."

She gasped in horror at this information.

"How come? Are they not protected? I thought that since the war, those who had done penance for their actions found themselves in protected houses and closely monitored?"

"Yes, that's what some people make us believe. But the Ministry is hiding what is really happening. There are deaths, Miss Granger. And I'm afraid that our students who have suffered pressure from their families are in serious danger... The protective bubbles that surrounded them have been revealed to the wrong people."

Her brain was going a hundred miles an hour. She couldn't understand. Why would the Ministry of Magic want to deny the facts, hide them? What could they gain from such losses? She understood the hatred and fear, which continued to sit between individuals in the magical world, but the horrors were no more and it was our duty to turn the page. Why do it otherwise? Why continue to propagate this era of fear?

"Some people don't forgive as easily as you, Miss Granger," McGonagall replied gently, answering some of her inner questions. "It was not for nothing that I chose you, I knew that although you have suffered these last months, you continue to have compassion for others. And I need your strength of mind once again, Hermione. I need your empathy so that we can find the rest of the Death Eaters and give them a safe place."

"Why me ? Harry could take part in this mission or even the rest of the Order."

"The Order of the Phoenix no longer exists, Miss Granger. And Harry... when he becomes an Auror, he will receive missions, missions that he will not understand. He will be obliged to hide these misdeeds. I cannot compromise his future work even before he decides to join the ministry."

"But..." Hermione tried to refute, breathless.

"Miss Granger. I know I'm asking a lot of you. But it is an important task. I must ask you to observe the Slytherins. Draco Malfoy, specifically. We need to find out more about the murders circulating among Voldemort's former supporters. We must prevent a new massacre. For the good of the students, but also for their families. A stifled war should not be allowed to happen again."

"What can I really do, McGonagall? There's nothing that suggests to me that Malfoy knows anything about what's happening outside the walls. Shouldn't we focus on the wizards who commit the crimes?"

"Yes. And we do it. I already have a team set up to find the killers. As you are in a shared dormitory with Draco, I can only grant this mission to you."

"You told me that you didn't have honorable reasons for making me prefect, is that right?" whispered the Gryffindor, suddenly distraught.

She felt like vomiting. Spying on Draco Malfoy? As she began to become attached to his uncontrollable personality and his goofy smiles? She felt like a rope was being put around her neck, before she could even learn to breathe.

"I'm afraid so, yes. I had an idea in mind, but I didn't think I would have to do anything about it. This is the third body found in the space of two months. The situation is serious. I would not want our students to find themselves in danger again."

Hermione shivered, realizing the burden she carried on her shoulders.

"I fear that the killings will continue and that they will turn into something else. The lure of murder ends up turning into an obsession over time. And if there are no more Death Eaters left, who will these evil wizards turn to?"

The silence accompanied her words and Hermione nodded, suddenly exhausted and understanding.

"So I have to spy on Draco Malfoy and find out where Voldemort's former followers are and find them a safe place?"

"Yes, Miss Granger. And I ask you to find out more about your classmate. Try to... make him vulnerable. It is only under these conditions that he will open up to you, I am afraid."

Hermione swallowed, a lifetime of cry drowning her heart.

"And I guess I have to be careful," she whispered, her body already heavy with regret for what she was about to do.

"Yes. As we do not know the identity of the attackers, discretion is required... I will ask you to report to me every two weeks."

She nodded, suddenly mortified.

She didn't like meetings with the headmistress of Hogwarts. They only brought bad news. Hermione should lie, use any source of magic to get information from the Prince of Serpents. She should earn his trust, but at what cost? What if he discovered the truth? How would he react? How could she ask for more, want more, when now she would have to entwine her heart with protective veils? How could she turn a blind eye to her state for Malfoy, when she only thought of him? How to survive such a trick and continue to comply with the director's demands when all she wanted to do was run away and escape from it all? How could she return to her dormitory and face Draco's gray eyes, when from tonight onwards she would have to observe his actions? Betray him?

With betrayal at the edge of her throat, Hermione accepted the offer, her mission and turned her back on her former teacher, her heart in pieces. Her story with Malfoy couldn't begin or continue. She couldn't afford it. They were at risk much more than a broken heart. They were at risk with their lives and Hermione couldn't make such a sacrifice. Not if she put him in danger.

Her body heavy, she reached out against the snake-shaped handle to reach her dormitory. She had just returned to autopilot mode. She was nothing more than an empty shell. A bland smile on the corners of her lips, she accepted her future fall, because it would come. She was sure of it. Secrets could not be hidden forever. And Draco Malfoy had this habit of reading her like an open book.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

435K 10.8K 27
"If she went, that was it. Everyone would know." Promiscuous, irreverent, but quick witted; Draco Malfoy seems to glide through life unbothered, yet...
215K 5.9K 69
"I will always want you." --- Kelly Rivera is a simple girl - a warm hearted, pureblood Slytherin who also happens to be the best friend of Draco...
1.5M 41.3K 33
*COMPLETE* CRAZY and COMPLICATED. That's what Hermione's life becomes when, after a heated argument with the Slytherins, Ron impulsively bets away H...
339K 14.8K 54
After the Second Wizarding War, Malfoy found himself alienated from the majority of the school; his old friends just irritated him, all of Hogwarts'...