Betrothed To The Alpha

By mss_amalee

Hannah Jefferson, the daughter of the Alpha of the silver pack, feels unfulfilled in her life. She yearns to... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52

CHAPTER 20

380 14 1
By mss_amalee

HANNAH

The following day, I make my way to the Sky Packhouse, armed with a meticulously crafted lie that I'm certain will deceive Luna Marely without a hint of suspicion. Spotting an omega passing by, I inquire about Luna Marely's whereabouts, and they direct me to her office on the second floor. Opting for the elevator this time, I ascend to the designated floor, only to have my carefully constructed facade shattered upon hearing Luna Marely's raised voice from her office.

"What if Hannah misunderstood you and thought you cheated on her because you were with Alice? Do you think we can afford such accusations if she uses it as a reason to stop the wedding?" Luna Marely's words freeze me in place, my brows furrowing in confusion.

"It won't happen again," Alex responds.

"Better. Now, let's go and wait for her downstairs to arrive. She should be here any minute," Luna Marley says, and I hear footsteps approaching where I am. Panic courses through me as I realize they might suspect me of eavesdropping. Hastily, I pivot to head back into the elevator, but my haste leads to a clumsy misstep—I collide headfirst into the wall.

"Shit!" I curse under my breath, instinctively closing my eyes in embarrassment as I rub the sore spot on my forehead.

"Oh, moon goddess! Are you okay, dear?" Luna Marley's concern is immediate as she rushes to my side, her hands gently inspecting the injury.

"I'm fine. It's just a small bump," I assure her, gently pulling her hands away from my head.

"Sorry, dear. It should heal in a minute,"

"Yeah," I mumble, lifting my gaze to meet Alex's eyes. He stares back at me, his expression unreadable as he silently assesses me, leaving me to wonder what thoughts are swirling in his mind.

Luna Marley notices my lingering gaze on Alex and suddenly launches into an apology, expressing regret over Alex leaving me to spend time with Alice.

"No, it's okay," I assure her, mustering a smile to mask the unease roiling within me. "Alice is his friend, and it makes sense for him to be there for her after she survived a near-death situation." It's a lie, but one I offer willingly, understanding the importance of shielding Alex from his mother's scrutiny, at least for the time being. I'm not sweeping the issue under the rug; I simply want to diffuse the tension now and talk to him later about it.

"Still, I apologize. The time he spent with her could have been used to get to know one another better," Luna Marley insists.

"No need," I interject, seizing the opportunity to reassure her. "Alex and I have been getting along very well for the past few days before he traveled."

"Really?" Luna Marley's surprise is palpable, and I nod, offering a convincing smile to reinforce my statement.

"Yes, we are getting along quite well," I affirm, extending my hand toward Alex in a silent invitation. For a moment, he hesitates, his gaze fixed on my outstretched hand as if grappling with an internal conflict. Frustration bubbles within me at his apparent indecision—here I am, trying to save his skin, and he freezes up.

Without further hesitation, I reach out and grasp his hand, intertwining our fingers. His hand dwarfs mine, warm and solid against my skin, and I can't help but notice the electricity that seems to crackle as our skin touches.

Luna Marley releases a breath of relief, seemingly satisfied with our display of unity. "Alright, if you say so. Let's head back to my office and pick the pictures for the article," she suggests, leading the way as we fall into step behind her. I release Alex's hand once Luna Marley's back is turned, but to my surprise, he doesn't let go. Instead, his grip tightens, holding onto me.

"Mom, could you give us a second. I want to speak to Hannah about something," Alex says, finally speaking since I arrived.

"Sure, I will be in my office," Luna Marley replies and walks to her office, leaving us alone.

Alex leads us back to the elevator, and we take it to the fourth floor. Stepping out, we walk down the corridor until we reach the last room on the right. As Alex opens the door and we step inside, his scent envelops me, and I realize we are in his room.

Finally letting go of my hand, Alex gestures for me to take a seat on the couch. I do so, feeling a bit confused about why we are here. He walks over to the bar tray by the fireplace, pouring himself a drink, the amber liquid glinting in the soft light of his room. He settles into an armchair opposite me.

"Why did you lie for me?" Alex's question catches me off guard, his eyes probing mine with an intensity that makes me shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"Because I felt it was better that way," I answer truthfully, though I can sense there's more behind his inquiry.

"Just that?" he presses, raising an eyebrow in silent challenge.

"Yes," I reply.

"Hmm," he murmurs, downing his drink in one go. He stands up immediately to pour himself another drink.

Before I can stop myself, the question bursts forth from my lips, unfiltered and raw. "Did you sleep with Alice?"

Alex pauses mid-pour, his back still turned to me as he processes my question. Slowly, he turns to face me, his expression unreadable.

"What do you think?" he counters, his voice low and measured.

"I don't know; you tell me," I retort, my frustration mounting with each passing second.

"Whose mate am I right now?" Alex asks, his gaze steady as he locks eyes with me once more.

"Mine," I reply without hesitation, confused, knitting my brows together.

"There is your answer," he concludes cryptically, his words leaving me reeling with confusion. How does the fact that I'm his mate connect to whether he cheated on me or not?

"You dummy. He's telling you he's your mate, and that means he will be loyal to you as your mate would," Poppy's voice chimes in through our mental connection, breaking through my confusion like a ray of clarity.

"Oh, I didn't know, and why didn't he just say that?" I respond, a sense of relief washing over me as his words finally click into place.

"I don't know, but I'm confident that's what he means, and I told you. Alex isn't that heartless. It's a good thing you even defended him when you didn't know for sure," Poppy reassures me.

"Yeah, it is," I agree, gratitude swelling within me for Poppy's insight and Alex's unspoken loyalty.

I sever my mental connection with Poppy, feeling a newfound sense of resolve coursing through me. With a deep breath, I turn to face Alex, ready to ask the question that has been gnawing at me since our conversation began.

""If that's your answer, then why did Alice tell me otherwise?" I question, my gaze locked on Alex.

"Tell you otherwise? What are you talking about?" Alex responds with genuine confusion, clouding his features.

"She told me you guys just had your fourth round," I assert, my voice trembling with the weight of the accusation.

"Alice would never!" Alex exclaims, his eyes widening in shock at the implication.

"She did. She picked up the phone and told me that," I counter, anger bubbling up within me as I recount the conversation with Alice.

"Impossible. Alice would never lie in such a way, and if you are just trying to ruin our friendship by making up lies, try again because the Alice I know would never lie about such," Alex insists, his defense of Alice unwavering.

I stare at him in disbelief, a knot of frustration tightening in my chest. He sees Alice as an angel, someone incapable of wrongdoing, and in that moment, I realize there's no use in continuing this conversation. Alex won't believe me, no matter what I say. I can only hope that, with time, he'll come to see Alice for who she truly is.

"We can drop it, and if you're done with your drink, we can head back to your mom's office," I suggest, rising to my feet and moving toward the door, the weight of disappointment heavy upon me.

"I am. Let's go," Alex agrees, dropping his glass onto the table and following behind me. As we exit the room, I can't help but feel a sense of resignation settle over me. Some truths are harder to accept than others, and for now, I can only hope that time will reveal the reality of the situation.

We make our way to his mom's office, and after some deliberation, we finally settle on a photo for the article. It's a seamless decision, as the chosen image portrays us looking genuinely happy together, even though the reality couldn't be further from the truth.

Alex rises from his seat, signaling that it's time to leave, and I swiftly follow suit. My mind races with the lingering question about the data I need from his company, but before I can gather the courage to voice it, Alex spins around abruptly, catching me off guard. His sudden movement leaves my question hanging in the air, unspoken, as I wait for whatever he's about to say.

"You got the job," he announces.

"I did?" I exclaim, my entire face lighting up with disbelief and joy. Alex nods, and before I know it, I'm screaming in excitement, pulling him into a spontaneous hug.

"Thank you so much!" I gush, overcome with gratitude and excitement. In the heat of the moment, I impulsively peck him on the cheek, the action leaving me stunned as I quickly recoil in embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry," I blurt out, mortified by my sudden boldness, and hurriedly reach up to wipe away any trace of my lipgloss on his cheek.

"It's okay," Alex reassures me with a gentle smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners in amusement.

As I watch Alex, I can't help but notice how incredibly handsome he looks when he smiles. It's a rare sight, but when it graces his lips, it transforms his face, lighting up his features in a way that is both captivating and endearing. In that moment, I find myself wishing he would do it more often, allowing me to bask in the radiance of his smile. With a sheepish grin, I thank him once more, feeling a surge of appreciation for his unexpected kindness.

ALEX

I watch Hannah; a genuine smile graces her usually composed features, and I can't help but feel a warmth spread through me in response. It strikes me then that this side of her, so open and unguarded, is a rarity. She often conceals her emotions behind a mask of calmness, but in this moment, her true self shines through, and it's a sight to behold.

A thought flickers through my mind, spurred by the contrast between the Hannah I see before me and the version of her that Alice has always portrayed. She didn't exude any sense of malice. My recent conversation with Hannah resurfaces in my mind, intertwining with memories of Alice's actions last night. Could it be possible that things aren't as straightforward as I believed them to be? Could my longtime friend, whom I hold dear, be concealing the truth from me?

These questions whirl in my mind, causing my thoughts to swirl and leaving me grappling for answers. Finding clarity would have been more straightforward in the past, but now, uncertainty clouds my judgment, making it increasingly difficult to discern the truth.

I decide to leave it for now and focus on it later. My recent conversations with Mom have made me realize the importance of being more mindful of my actions and portraying myself as more of a fiancé to Hannah. Any member of the pack could have seen me at that hotel and misunderstood the situation. Additionally, I need to treat Alice as a genuine friend and involve Hannah in decisions related to her. While I may not love her romantically, it's the least I can do to honor our engagement.

Together, Hannah and I make our way home, and I offer my assistance with the data issue she's encountering in her project. It's a small gesture, but one that reflects my commitment to supporting her in any way I can despite the complexities of our relationship.

The following Monday morning, Hannah heads off to school to finally submit her project. As I arrive to pick her up later, I notice the stares and gasps from the other students as she walks up to me. It's puzzling at first, but I don't dwell on it until we're on our way home, and I inadvertently overhear her conversation with her friend, Bee, on the phone.

She discusses how all her group members, who had previously misunderstood her and mocked her for supposedly throwing herself at me, have suddenly done a complete turnaround. They now seem to recognize their mistake, much to my amusement and Hannah's evident satisfaction.

She continues to chat with Bee, mentioning how everyone now seeks her help to gain access to M Corp. Despite my inward eye roll at the sudden change in attitudes, I can't help but feel a sense of pride for Hannah's newfound recognition.

Listening to her conversation with Bee, I realize the extent of the challenges she must have faced with her project. In that moment, I resolve to consider hiring the people she suggests, provided they are worthy candidates. It's the least I can do to support her after the hurdles she's overcome.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184 22 23
Book 6 of the blood moon saga, strictly 18 and over, be warned this book is one huge trigger one after the other, sexual content as well as gruesome...
28.7M 880K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
861 51 12
Lia Wood. She is 17 turning 18. In her pack she is treated as lower than an omega. On her 18th birthday her brother Leo and her run away. Now a year...
691K 6.7K 15
This is a sample of the story. If you would like to read the whole thing then please look it up on Amazon or check out the link on the last chapter...