The Life She Wants

By JenniferLawrence907

This book is a short story about an arranged Indian couple: Tanay and Aadya. Tanay and Aadya come from a sma... More

DISCLAIMER
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
EPILOGUE

Eleven

2.4K 102 1
By JenniferLawrence907

The next day was very slow.

Aadya overslept.

In the meantime, Tanay made tea for everyone and told his parents that he was taking them out for lunch - the place where Aadya and he had the mutton curry.

After having tea with his parents, he came back to his room and leaned over his wife, kissing her face.

"Wake up, wake up, wake up," he said with every kiss. He laughed when she groaned and covered her face with her pillow. "Come on, maa baba are asking why breakfast is not ready yet."

No, they weren't.

But that woke her up.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding, calm down." He grabbed her before she could sprint out the door. "We are going out for lunch."

"Okay." She yawned and leaned her head against his chest, falling asleep again.

"Seriously?" Tanay deadpanned.

She smiled. "No. I'm up. I just had the best sleep of my life." She cracked her neck and spine.

A shudder ran up Tanay's spine. "Ugh. Scary." She giggled. "How are you feeling? Any symptoms or hangover?"

"I'm feeling fine, actually."

"Good." He smiled. "Go freshen up. And be quick."

"Aren't you clingy?" She narrowed her eyes on him playfully.

"Proudly, yes." He grinned. "Have you seen yourself?"

She blushed crimson red and stepped inside the bathroom.

When she stepped out, she was in a blouse and a petticoat. She picked up the saree and started wearing it.

Tanay's eyes, of course, wandered over her bare stomach. Aadya was a very beautiful woman.

Was this the sight he missed every morning?

"Goddess."

"Huh?" She looked at him. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"You're beautiful." He smiled.

"Thank you."

"Come here." He said once she was done wearing the saree.

She walked to him, blushing and smiling.

He rested his chin on her belly and wrapped his arms around her waist; she played with his hair.

"There's a gajra in the fridge."

"Oh?" She grinned. "Are we going completely traditional today?"

"Hmm."

"I think you do have a golden kurta to match my saree."

"You know what? That's not a bad idea." He stood up and kissed her nose before shuffling through his closet.

She stopped him before he could mess it all up.

"Over there. Third." She pointed out. He grinned and pecked her lips.

"You're the best." She laughed.

Her man was so in love.

"Shit..." His smile dropped as he stared at the cloth.

"What's wrong?" She asked, worried.

"It's torn." He muttered. "I really wanted to wear it."

"I'll sew it up right away, don't worry." She took the cloth from him and the thread and needle from the drawer.

"You can?"

"Mmhm." She nodded. "If there's anything four years of fashion designing has taught me, it's sewing buttons and tears perfectly."

"You're...a fashion designer?"

"Yes."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the day, Tanay had borrowed his friend's car. He sat in the driver's seat, his father in the passenger seat beside him, and mother and Aadya in the back.

He would glance at her every now and then through the rearview mirror. She had a soft smile on her face. She had worn the gajra in her hair; it was in a circle around her classy bun.

She was looking so beautiful.

His father talked to him about his stay at his older brother's.

Tanay's older brother and his wife had a four-year-old boy, and now we're expecting another child. The day they came back, her mother cried about how unfortunate it is that her oldest son has two kids and he doesn't.

Now he was scared his father would bring out the topic again, and their day would be ruined. But surprise surprise, Aadya wasn't affected by that.

Tanay wondered if she had even heard it.

"Bhabhi is pregnant?" Aadya questioned, a small smile on her face. "That's amazing."

Tanay smiled and kept on driving.

They reached the restaurant.

"How do you know about this place? It's so far away from our house." His mother frowned.

"My boss suggested it." Tanay said, locking the car. "It has some amazing food. Come on." He placed one hand around Aadya's back and the other around his mother's shoulder, leading them in.

They occupied a booth. Tanay's father ordered chicken biryani, and Tanay ordered the mutton curry with naan.

When his father took the first bite of the curry, his expression changed. "Oh my, it's really good."

"Yeah. Do you like it, maa?" He turned to his mother.

"Yes, yes, it's really tasty." Even his mother was surprised.

Tanay grabbed Aadya's hand under the table and turned to her, silently asking her the same. She nodded with a smile and continued eating.

In the middle of their meal, Tanay squeezed Aadya's hand and said to his parents, "I got a promotion."

They both paused their meal. "That's really amazing, son."

"Yeah, thank you." He smiled. "We'll talk more when we get back home."

After the meal, they ordered the gulab jamun for dessert and soon left the restaurant.

Aadya was feeling a little weird... As if something bad was going to happen today.

When they reached home, Aadya went on ahead to change into a more comfortable saree and take off her jewelry. She was taking off her gajra when she heard a shout from the outside.

She stepped out of her room and saw her father-in-law saying, "who's gonna take care of us then!?"

"Dad..." Tanay trailed off.

"You are not accepting that promotion that's it. You're not going to Mumbai."

"I have worked five years behind this opportunity..." Tanay said, his fists clenched, "I'm accepting it- I have already accepted it."

"How could you-"

"I'm 28." Tanay swallowed, "and married, I have my own life now. Until now, I have done everything you've asked me to. Never went against you. You didn't have a problem when bhai left the house, you shouldn't have a problem with me. And, I'm not abandoning you or something. I am simply...choosing myself for once."

"Do you hear him, Gayatri? This ungrateful brat-"

"I can't... You have been treating Aadya so poorly; you think I don't see that? You don't let us be, baba. We... we can't even look at each other without you giving us the side-eye."

"Tanay-"

"I'm moving out to Mumbai. I have decided." He stepped back and turned around, walking to his room.

He took Aadya's hand in his and pulled her inside the room, closing the door.

Aadya hugged him, rubbing his back as she tried to comfort him. "It's alright. It's gonna be okay."

Tanay sighed into her shoulder. "Yeah."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

605K 34.1K 38
[FEATURED]Thrown together on a one month long honeymoon, Vansh and Ahaana had to live under one roof in an apartment, away from chaos, to accept each...
297K 10.3K 25
Collections of short stories about arrange, contract, and forced marriage. Mainly all stories are based on love after marriage.
4.1M 143K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
1.1M 48.7K 48
Meera Gupta, daughter of Niyati and Manish is an architect who comes back to India, after a long interval to visit her ailing grandfather, Prithviraj...