Monotsuki

By UsakiGiorgio

[TWICE A MONTH SERIALIZATION] LIST OF SAGAS AND ARCS: Miyagi Island: - Aftermath of The Storm arc: 1 - 11. Ky... More

Chapter 1 - The upcoming storm
Chapter 2 - Azure rescue
Chapter 3 - Hospital in the skies
Chapter 4 - New Dawn
Chapter 5 - Memory
Chapter 6 - What hides beneath your smile?
Chapter 7 - Forgotten Legacy
Chapter 8 - Hiro's secret
Chapter 9 - departure!
Chapter 11 - From storm to hell
Chapter 12 - The right hand
Chapter 13 - Preceptor
Chapter 14 - Bashful

Chapter 10 - Fools' Idyll

0 1 0
By UsakiGiorgio

The journey unfolded smoothly, devoid of any complications. Rui didn't leave the room where Naomi was lying, constantly watching over her and devising a plan for revenge against the unknown man. Even the doctor could sense his hatred and resentment. She thought to herself that his emotions would be extremely dangerous, but she decided not to act on that fact. It wasn't her problem. Orine, Daichi, and Hiro decided to take a walk around the ship, and when they had explored every corner, they returned to their quarters and started playing cards, which the bespectacled one pulled out from the inner pocket of his jacket. Suguna, to stretch her legs, decided to check on her passengers, so she went to the quarters.
- Oh, you're playing cards. Can I join? - she asked, looking at the three young men sitting around a small table.
- Sure, the more the merrier - Hiro replied, checking his cards.
The curious doctor approached, observing the game.
- Poker? Will come handy - she remarked, nodding her head.
- How so? - the bewildered boy didn't understand what she meant. They were just playing poker for fun and to pass the time.
- Sometimes, to get something done, all you need is to arrange a poker game, drink, smoke, or do it all at once. Negotiations aren't about fancy banquet halls, elegant language, and substance, but manipulation combined with drugs... at least in the reality we live in - she replied sarcastically, recalling her own experiences.
- I comprehend your message, however, is it indeed confirmed that the audiences have been completely eradicated? - asked intrigued Daichi, laying down fourth card on the table.
- Of course, there's still room for them, but it'll be years before you experience them.
- Years... - the low boy repeated with dismay.
He understood that his journey would be long, but the possibility of spending many years, even decades, searching for his sister and brother caused him immense stress and a feeling of terror.
Seeing the man's reaction, the doctor shook her head, then glanced at Orine. The girl didn't say a word, but she understood the implication behind her aunt's gaze.
- "If only you made it easier for me. I have to handle three people on my own, knowing almost nothing. A week is too short a time to mentally prepare them for such a torment... What a viper" - she thought, lowering her gaze to her cards. She knew the woman was baiting her, but she couldn't leave her gesture without a comment, even if it was only in her head.

The blue-eyed one tried her best to help her friends with preparations, but she knew that no matter how hard she tried, no one could be prepared in such a short time for the start with the main land. She was the only one in the group with even a small understanding of what the journey to these parts entails. In the meantime, the game reached its climax.
- Orine, show your cards - the chairman said calmly.
- Oh, I got lost in thought, sorry - she replied, revealing her hand. The rush of thoughts made her forget about the game.
Suguna whistled upon seeing the cards. The blonde had a straight, Hiro only had a pair of eights, while the chairman stood out with a flush. The doctor was most interested in the chairman. He reminded her of someone she knew very well.
- Let's spice up the fun - she declared, energetically extending her right hand forward.

The golden lines began to form the shape of a table. After a minute, before the assembled individuals, a genuine poker table with a chair and a silver briefcase appeared. Suguna opened the item, revealing a complete set of chips.
- You're welcome - she added, taking a seat.
The table was round, made of beech wood, covered in green cloth with designated spots for chips and cards.
The Elegant gathered the cards from the table, and then the acquaintances grabbed their chairs, settling around the doctor. Suguna sat across from Daichi, Hiro to the right of Suguna, and Orine to her left. When the bespectacled one wanted to start dealing the cards, the woman stopped him.
- We'll play with my cards - she announced firmly.
- They're not marked? - Orine asked, casting a skeptical glance at her aunt, sensing deceit.
- You can check them, please - she replied, extending her hand with the cards towards the girl.

She took the entire deck and carefully examined it. However, she found no clues indicating the woman's deception.
- Shall we begin? - she confidently inquired, knowing her deck contained no marked cards.
- Yes - disappointed by the failed attempt to prove fraud, the girl handed the cards back to the doctor.
Suguna shuffled the cards and glanced at the blue-eyed one. As she was the dealer in this round, Orine, the player to the left of the doctor, placed a small blind with a white chip, and Daichi followed with a big blind using a red chip. The mysterious woman dealt two cards face down to each player. The chairman, checking his own, noticed he had received a jack of hearts and a two of clubs.
- "It could be better. I'll play it safe... this game is just a pretext" - he thought.
The chairman's goal was not to win the game but to extract as much information as possible from the doctor. He noticed that Orine was too agitated to approach the subject rationally, so during the tour of the boat, he devised a plan of action that would allow him to gather more information.

The curly-haired youth looked at his "hand" and saw a jack of spades and a ten of hearts.
- Check - he announced. He had little knowledge of poker but enjoyed spending time with his friends.
- Seems boring, you all are young, yet you're playing like geezers. Let's liven it up a bit... I raise by 100 - the doctor commented smiling, hoping for an exciting game.
- I call - he replied shortly, matching the bet.
Orine drew an ace of diamonds and a four of clubs. Daichi and Hiro also decided to check. Once again, it was the blue-eyed one's turn, who checked once more.
- To add some flavour to our conversation, may I inquire as to the purpose of your visit to this island? I raise - he increased the current bet by 225. He decided to start from the beginning.
The intrigued woman looked closely at the boy. She was pleased that the chairman was trying to obtain additional information, she had hoped for such a reaction when proposing the game together.
- Call - Hiro said.
Suguna and Orine also decided to call.
The doctor took the deck and placed three cards on the table. With just one move, she revealed all the community cards: a seven of hearts, a queen of hearts, and a two of clubs.
- I wanted to visit my sweet niece - she replied evasively, testing the tall man. She thought she would see how cunning the violet-eyed one was.

It wasn't her true reason for visiting, a fact even the chairman was aware of. Orine once again cast a disdainful glance at her aunt, unable to tolerate her banter any longer.
- You could invite her to Kyushu. We've never been to the mainland, and such a trip would surely appeal to her - he suggested, knowing that the girl probably wouldn't be eager to spend time with her aunt. The charming man intended to expose her deceit.
- Appeal to her? Look at her, as if she would toss me to the sea monsters if she could - she replied. The woman's response aligned with the boy's expectations, but before he struck, he wanted to rule out the doctor's malice.
- So, is your sole purpose for being here simply to agitate her?
- Not necessarily. If I wanted to annoy her, a few phone calls would suffice.
- "The perfect moment to strike" - the charming boy thought.
- Therefore, there's no reason for your presence here - he concluded.
- Your deduction is correct, but I came here to train Reiki with Orine - she immediately replied, then looked at her niece. - Your turn...
- Check.
- Check - the bespectacled one repeated.
Hiro glanced at his cards once more.
- "Daichi surely has a plan. I won't pry, and any information will be useful. I wouldn't be able to learn anything more from Suguna... Jack, ten, queen, all hearts, maybe I can pull a flush? - he pondered. A flush was the only poker hand, besides pairs and three-of-a-kinds, he knew. - Check - he added in a light tone, hoping for luck to favor him.
- In that case, why didn't you join us in training?
- I signed up to train my niece. I don't want to teach three novices from scratch.
- So you didn't accomplish your goal?
- I taught her a thing or two - she glanced at the blonde, winking.
- You taught me? I can't deny, the spell was useful, but knowing your tricks, everything was planned - Orine declared, annoyed, wanting to change the subject away from her.

Initially, she deliberately concealed the usage of spell, the anomaly associated with Hiro's meditation was a mystery to her. Not wanting to worry others, she hid the truth, but it was irrelevant now. She knew the chairman wouldn't want to interrogate her about it now, and the spell itself wasn't that interesting anyway, a mere charm siphoning off excess Reiki, too slow to be used for defense or offense. The blonde knew Suguna wouldn't reveal her motive for anything. From her perspective, discussing this event would be a waste of time.
The short boy was indifferent to the new fact, he figured if Orine hid the meeting between her and her aunt, she did so for a good reason. Knowing that family matters were incredibly sensitive for her, he didn't interfere.
- "Spell? We knew nothing about it, but I can't play on two fronts. I need to focus only on Dr. Suguna" - the chairman considered discussing the matter with the blue-eyed one as well but decided to put that topic aside. His goal was to interrogate Suguna, not Orine.
- You can't deny that I've taught you something. I could have done much more, but the situation has changed, and I merely adjusted to the new conditions - the woman replied without hesitation.
Orine glanced at the Elegant out of the corner of her eye. He slightly shook his head in disagreement. The girl sighed.
- I don't have the energy to argue about this, continue - she declared. Despite her apparent dissatisfaction, she was glad her topic was concluded.
- Did you arrive on the island on this submarine? - he asked another question.
- Yes - she replied shortly. Even if she denied the bespectacled one's words, the answer itself was obvious.
- Let me ask you now. Why did you bring a wooden box with you? Orine should have informed you that luggage is unnecessary. I raise by 250 - she declared, deciding to counterattack. She didn't want to be on the defensive all the time, and conversing with the charming man brought her pleasure.
- Check - Orine said.
- The content of this box is essential - he tried to evade answering, feeling they were deviating from the main topic.
- Essential? What could be in there? - she continued, determined not to relent.
- A family heirloom - he replied shortly, trying to end the discussion.
- Will you show it?

Daichi didn't plan to have a discussion about the sword, but after a moment, he sensed an opportunity in the doctor's interest. The chairman placed the wooden box on the table, reached into the inside pocket of his jacket, pulled out a key, and then opened the item.
- Well, well, what do we have here? A nice rapier, but it lacks a blade.
- It's a specific weapon - he replied vaguely, not wanting to reveal the answer right away.
- "Oh my, you want to intrigue me even more... I'm sure he thinks we'll exchange more information at this moment... I'm starting to like him more... It's just a pity, I can clearly sense the energy coming from the weapon... you still need to learn a bit more" - she thought, admiring the Elegant, but his strategy was too obvious. It lacked cunning.
- Your rapier emits Reiki. I think that's how you activate the blade - she said, tilting her head slightly to the right. - May I hold it?
- "Emitting energy? I didn't know a rapier emits Reiki even when at rest. I could have asked Orine for an opinion" - he said to himself, knowing he had lost this exchange of words. Suguna was no longer interested in the item, she had discovered its properties.
- You said it was a family heirloom. Did you receive it from your father? - she asked a question, but she guessed the answer. She did it only to show Daichi that he had not prepared well enough for this conversation.
- Yes, check - he replied shortly. He had nothing more to add. He could argue that he could have received the weapon from his mother, but he knew it would be a waste of time. The doctor had read the bespectacled one perfectly. He confirmed his defeat by not raising the stakes further.
- Check - Hiro replied, seeming to think only about poker, isolating himself from the inner game between the Golden-eyed one and the Bespectacled man.

Suguna reached for the next card, revealing the king of hearts. The short boy, seeing the fourth card, felt relieved. He was only one card short of a flush. His enthusiasm was sensed by the woman in the lab coat, who glanced at the boy's expression out of the corner of her eye.
- "I let myself get thrown off balance, I equalized the stakes, and none of the cards fit my hand" - thought the blue-eyed one, realizing the mistake made due to her agitation. - I fold - she announced firmly, knowing that further play was pointless.
- So quickly? You don't have the soul of a gambler - commented the woman in response to her niece's fold. She hoped the girl would engage in verbal sparring again.
- I know when to retreat - she replied, pushing the cards aside.
- "That's why you lead them" - she thought, looking at her own cards: the eight and seven of hearts.
- Let's move on to another matter. What is the current situation in Kyushu? I raise by 100 - reconciled that his first attempt to extract information from the woman had failed, he decided to move on to the next question.
- I raise by 300 - said the green-eyed one. Having four cards of the same suit boosted his confidence. Sensing an opportunity, he decided to break the cycle of checking.
- Things are heating up. Finally, something's happening - she replied, pleased. She liked it when the stakes rose rapidly. - As for the political situation, Tamaki holds the presidency. To an unfamiliar person, the system may seem democratic, but if you look deeper, power depends on the size of the "donations". I raise by 400.
- Such governance is highly unstable. Are you confident that we will encounter this region in the same condition as when you departed?
- Kyushu has always been an unstable region. Since the war, it has experienced four uprisings, riots are commonplace, but despite Tamaki's soft rule, the region has not experienced any internal conflicts for seven years.
- Check - said Hiro. - "Last card, if it's the ace of hearts, I have a flush."
The young man was becoming increasingly excited.
- Understood. In that case, I would like to ask about the documents needed to cross the border. When will we receive them?

Suguna drew one card from the deck and then laid down the final communal card: the ace of hearts.
-"I have a flush! Perfect, victory is assured" - thought the green-eyed one. His excitement was sensed by Orine. She shook her head and leaned back slightly in her chair.
- "He's too easy to read. If I noticed it, Suguna probably saw through him after the second round of betting" - she thought to herself, understanding they don't stand a chance in this cunning game.
- Documents? I thought you already received your badges - the doctor remarked, glancing at the badge pinned to the lapel of the charming young man's jacket.
- How is it possible that a simple brooche, which anyone can forge, equates to a paper document containing a trace of Reiki? - Daichi questioned as he was confused by her statement.
- I don't give out jewelry for free. This kamon is specific - Suguna replied, clearly mocking Daichi's earlier statement about the rapier.
- What's so special about it?
- Remember what I said on the beach - Suguna replied cryptically, unwilling to give him a direct answer. She wanted him to draw conclusions based on the knowledge she had imparted to them.
- "Doctor Suguna said that the kamon gives us membership in a group... if the trace of Reiki is the most important factor, then it would mean that the kamon also possesses one, but why would it be more important than an official document? This emblem gives us membership in a group, but we are neither mercenaries nor craft masters" - the chaotic jumble of the man's thoughts prevented him from uncovering the truth.
- I raise by 500 - Daichi announced, hoping to buy more time to formulate his response.
- "He's overthinking it. The answer is much simpler. He probably already knows it, but he thinks it's something complicated" - Suguna thought to herself.
- "It's time to strike" - the short man thought, preparing his chips for betting. - I raise by 1250 - he declared with a glint in his eye.
The eldest turned her gaze to the young man.
- Well, well, who would have thought you'd play so aggressively at the very end. Were you waiting for the right moment, or is it just pure luck? - she asked with a smile, resting her right elbow on the table. - "At the very least, he has a flush, otherwise, he wouldn't be betting so high... If winning mattered to me, I would have folded earlier, probably before Orine, but I don't want to end this game until I finish my chat with this boy" - she added in her thoughts, glancing at the purple-eyed one.
- You'll find out soon enough - the curly-haired man replied. His tone of voice exuded confidence and calmness.
- In that case, I'll check - Suguna said, elegantly crossing her legs.
- "There's no more time for deliberation. I have to answer now, otherwise the discussion will end the same way as before" - the charming young man wasn't sure about the accuracy of his conclusions, but he decided to rely on the strength of his intuition.

- The kamon gives us membership in a group, it contains trace amounts of Reiki, but it's not just ordinary energy. It's the Reiki trace of the founders of the association, or the majority of them... You mentioned that most people, upon seeing this symbol, will adopt a hostile attitude towards its owners. Although such groups should be associated with mercenaries, I think Katengecchi is one of the exceptions. Moreover, Orine's parents have the same emblems, and I don't think they're involved in mercenary work. I suspect that Katengecchi is a famous group on the mainland, which is disliked by the majority in power. It's possible that it's a kind of opposition, which would explain the absence of Orine's parents in her life... in conclusion, the kamon is our badge, but the risk of owning this item far outweighs the positives. Check.
The chairman's conclusion pleased the doctor. She squinted slightly, glanced at her niece, then returned her gaze to the man.
- Surprisingly good shot -she replied with audible approval.
The Elegant wanted to inquire about which pieces of information he deduced correctly, but he decided to wait, not wanting to expose his uncertainty further.
- Show your cards, let's see who won this round - she declared, picking up her cards.
The three players revealed their hands. Hiro looked first at the woman's cards.
- "Oh, damn it, she also has a flush... but it's just an eight and a seven, my cards are worth more" - he thought, then turned his gaze to the cards of the man with glasses. - "Jack of hearts and two of clubs? Why did he bet with such a hand? He only has a pair of twos - he glanced at his own cards again. - "So this is what famous conversations on the mainland look like, if we were playing for money, we'd be broke after one conversation... Oh well, let's see what the dealer decides."

In a situation where two players have the same hand, the highest card in the set decides the winner. However, due to his lack of knowledge, Hiro overlooked a significant fact. Suguna whistled at the sight of the green-eyed boy's cards, while the chairman's cards didn't elicit any reaction from her.
- Hiro wins this round - she announced, pointing to the boy.
Upon hearing the verdict, Hiro felt elated, evident from his wide smile.
- A royal flush - Daichi exclaimed, moved.
- A royal flush? - Hiro asked, puzzled, having no idea what that hand meant.
- A royal flush is a hand of cards starting from an ace up to a ten in the same suit. You managed to get a royal flush in hearts - Orine replied, equally surprised by the turn of events as the chairman.
- A royal flush is an extremely rare hand in poker. I've played many times, but I've never seen this hand before, even if others cheated - the eldest said, crossing her arms.
- I didn't expect that myself, I thought I had a flush...
Upon hearing his statement, the doctor burst into laughter.
- I knew you weren't familiar with poker, it was obvious, but I didn't expect you to be this clueless - she said, clutching her stomach, unable to contain herself.
- I only know pairs and flushes, the rest is a mystery to me - Hiro replied, embarrassed, lowering his gaze.
- Once we gather the cards, I'll explain all the hands to you - the man with glasses announced.
- Thank you - Hiro replied.
Suguna stifled her laughter and wiped away tears with her index finger. She collected all the cards and then handed them to Daichi.
- You're always good fun... Returning to your statement, you're mostly right. Katengecchi is a well-known organization, but only among high-ranking people. Your emblems are like those paper permits, but unfortunately, they don't grant as much freedom as I have or as a group of mercenaries. You'll likely face an interrogation, and only then will the appropriate authority issue you permits.
- Couldn't someone just steal such an emblem?
- They could, but it would be like taking a toaster into a bathtub full of water - the woman's comment received no response from the elegant man. - In short, you can't just take an emblem without permission. You can wear these badges, because they are connected to your Reiki.
- Does that mean we couldn't trade them?
- Exactly, each badge is individual.
- Thank you for your answer. I have one more question for you.
- Go ahead.
- Do you know the symbol of the crescent moon? - he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a small notebook. He had a ribbon marking a certain page. The chairman opened the notebook and showed the emblem drawing that Hiro had made. He didn't expect to get an answer, but as someone familiar with the mainland, she might know something, although he wasn't sure if the woman knew the answer, she would want to give it.
The doctor leaned forward slightly, carefully examining the drawing.
- I have no idea what this is. By the way, who drew this? Hiro?
- Yes, why do you ask? - Orine questioned, seeing no point in her aunt's comment.
- Just curious,the drawing is a bit wonky - she replied, raising the corner of her mouth.
- "I didn't sense any lies from her. Perhaps it's some secret organization, but I can't rule out that she's lying" - the chairman thought, deciding it was the perfect time to end the conversation. He had no more questions in mind that he could ask.
- How did you all like the first formal conversation? - the golden-eyed woman asked everyone.
- How much money do you have to afford such conversations? - a bewildered Hiro exclaimed, wondering where they would get the money for such games.
- Doctors aren't doing too bad, especially those with a reputation - she replied, winking at the man.
Upon hearing the doctor's response, the boy rested his chin on his left hand.
- Don't be too down. I just like gambling, but if you're clever, you can handle things in a different way - she said, smiling broadly.
- I hope I find another way, otherwise, instead of looking for my sister, I'll end up homeless.
- You're so sweet.
- Shall we continue playing? - the impatient blue-eyed girl asked.
- As you wish, my dear - the woman replied, nodding in approval.
- Well, then I'll show you all the hands now - the chairman announced, taking again his deck of cards.
Elegant taught the short boy the hierarchy of poker hands and explained which cards make up each variant. The boy seemed confused by the amount of information, but he seemed to understand the knowledge conveyed to him. He sincerely thanked Daichi, who then handed the cards to Orine.

***

Three hours had passed. The golden-eyed woman decided to suggest some food that was lying in the refrigerators. She also kicked out Rui, who initially didn't want to leave Yasenbyouin. Everyone enjoyed a meal consisting of Okinawa soba soup and teriyaki salmon. For dessert, they sampled tamagoyaki, washing it all down with green tea.
The boy in the leather jacket wanted to go back to his ex-girlfriend, but Suguna forbade him. He was surprised and tried to convince her, but her firm opposition left him no room to maneuver. After finishing the meal, the doctor headed to the recreational area, where she took out a vinyl record and placed it on the turntable. The sound of the song "Dancing Queen" filled the room as the woman sat in a black armchair, lighting a cigarette.
- You're really cruel... But I guess you didn't go easy on me either... They should now have fun for all eternity - she said, closing her eyes and tilting her head back.

While Suguna listened to Abba's songs, Rui, joining the group, listened to Daichi's story about the rapier. The clever man showed everyone what it looked like again. Surprised, the green-haired boy jokingly declared that the chairman was the emperor of frog eaters, which elicited laughter from the others. The chairman decided not to mention the spell Orine had learnt. He figured if she hadn't shared that information with them yet, it must be closely tied to her family situation. Not wanting to be pushy, he chose to use the remaining time for relaxation.

Four hours passed as they listened to Rui's stories, which he had heard from his grandfather. In the meantime, Suguna joined the group, sharing interesting medical cases and stories from her study days. Listening to her aunt's stories, Orine's attitude softened slightly. She didn't warm up to her, but Suguna's presence wasn't as bothersome as before. She had learnt to tolerate her. Everyone had a great time, drinking coffee. Eventually Rui agreed to the doctor's suggestion to smoke.
Suguna decided to talk about the basics of medicine and demonstrated how to administer first aid quickly in case of injury. Then the whole group watched the underwater world through periscopes and had a quiz about sea knowledge. Rui took first place, answering correctly 60 out of 60 questions. Daichi followed closely with a score of 55 out of 60. The scoring dropped significantly after that, with Orine answering only half of the questions correctly and Hiro only getting 10 right.

Suguna grew more fond of the youngsters. She led them to the relaxation room, where they listened to music together. Hiro chose "The Great Pretender" and "What a Wonderful World" while Daichi went for "Fly Me to the Moon" and "I Like Chopin". Rui picked "The Final Countdown" and "Baba O'Riley" while Orine opted for "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" and "Careless Whisper" Suguna decided to play "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" and "Big in Japan." They all started dancing and moving in interesting ways.

Finally, Orine's song played.
- People need more dance in their lives - the doctor subtly announced, her eyes filled with nostalgia as she heard the beginning of the song.
- Might you honor me with a dance? - Daichi knelt on one knee and then extended his right hand towards her.
- What a gentleman - she replied happily, slowly placing her hand in his.
Elegant got up from his knee, and together they made their way to the center of the room. Suguna bent her arms at the elbows and reached her hands towards her partner, at waist height. She placed her left hand on Daichi's shoulder, while the gallant man grabbed her right hand, and his left hand settled on her shoulder blade. Ready, they started to dance.

Observing this, Hiro glanced at Orine. He thought about inviting her to dance. His heart started beating faster at the mere thought of asking the girl.
- "I'd like to dance too... The last time I danced was in primary school, but I'm consumed by stress at the mere thought of approaching her... What should I do? I feel paralyzed... Rui?"
The young man looked at his friend, who gestured quickly by tilting his head towards the blue-eyed girl. He began to speak softly, making sure no one could hear, while allowing Hiro to read from his lips.
- "I know I should invite her, I want to do it myself... darn it, I'm too shy..."
Rui's non-verbal gestures intensified, and the boy became increasingly lost in his thoughts. He looked at the girl again.
- "I already acted a bit foolishly around Naomi, let alone around Orine... Ahhhh, I can't stand this, I'm going" - he declared, determined to overcome his embarrassment and stress.

He approached the girl, kneeling in the same manner as the chairman, extending his hand to the blonde.
- May I invite you to dance? - he asked timidly, his voice slightly trembling, unable to fully control himself. The girl smiled broadly, nodding slightly.
- Of course, sir - she replied, placing her hand on his.
Hiro felt as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders in an instant. He widened his eyes, returning the blue-eyed girl's smile. The boy stood up, and they both headed towards the center of the room, starting to dance.
- "You gotta believe in yourself, man. You ain't been hittin' the dance floor 'cause you scared and thinkin' none of 'em gonna wanna groove with ya... but hey, props for makin' the move" - the green-haired one thought to himself, leaning against the wall.

- It was hard for you to gather the courage to ask me to dance, wasn't it?
- It wasn't easy...
- Why did you struggle so much?
- I haven't danced with any girl since elementary school, and besides you and sometimes Naomi, I haven't had much contact with the opposite sex.
- What about Ichika?
- That doesn't count, she's my sister.
- Did you think I would refuse?
- Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking... I was stressed out.
- And why is that?
- It's not easy to invite such a pretty girl to dance.
The blonde's face lit up with a smile, but she didn't respond to the boy's words. He thought he might have made a mistake, but he was so embarrassed that he didn't know what to think about it.

After the song ended, Rui decided to show off his Hip-hop dance moves. Inspired by social dancing, he chose to focus on individuality, picking two songs: "Gangsta's Paradise" and "It Was a Good Day". The joyful atmosphere brought everyone closer, forgetting about their troubles. After the dances and laughter, they all gathered for one more toast. Raising their glasses full of red wine, they echoed the doctor's words, "to the flowers that bloom at night"
Twelve hours and twenty-five minutes had passed...
- We're here - the doctor announced, clapping her hands. - Now listen up, I'll open the door. You'll enter the transition room, then pass through the second door opposite. Got it, crew?- Her tone shifted to that of a commanding admiral.
- Aye aye, Admiral -Hiro replied, saluting.
The doors appeared before the group of youths. Hiro entered first, followed by Daichi and Rui. Orine paused at the threshold, turning to her aunt.
- I was wrong, you're not that much of a witch, but I still don't like you - she declared with a smile.
- I think you're the most mentally stable one in this group, take care of our musketeers.
- I should become a psychologist.
- Go for it, when you come back, you can go to university.
- Nice dream, but for now, we have to face the harsh reality.
- That's what I meant... now go, and don't get killed.
- You too, witch.
- I've been promoted.
- Of course.
Both women laughed, then the blue-eyed one passed through the doors.
-"I'm starting to feel sorry for them, I'm getting soft" - she thought, propping her forehead with her right hand.
The group found themselves in the transition room. The first to approach the door was a short young man. He grabbed the knob and turned to his companions.
- This is where our story begins, time to face the mainland and reclaim our loved ones.
- We could use a chant - Rui suggested, hands in his pockets.
- Are you thinking what I'm thinking? - Orine asked.
- À coup sûr (for sure) - Daichi commented.
- Banzai! - they all shouted, and Hiro forcefully opened the door, which swung outward.

The idyllic time had come to an end. The joyful atmosphere conducive to antics and laughter gave way to surprise. The scenery that greeted the group of youths did not resemble one of the main ports of Kyushu. The moon was hidden behind clouds, and the area was shrouded in endless darkness. Hiro's pulse quickened. Suddenly, they all felt an unknown force pushing them out of Yasenbyōin. They were now on land. The short man quickly turned towards the door, but it had disappeared. He looked ahead once more, trying to make out any details, their eyes were just beginning to adjust to the pervasive darkness.

"Foolish is one who delights in his own ignorance, the master forges the ignorance into a weapon of understanding." - Fuminosuke Katsumi, The Potential of Masses.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 652 49
Following a brutal and tortured death, a former assassin, known only by his codename Kuro, is given the opportunity to reincarnate in another world...
212K 8.8K 54
She lost everything at one night but received something at that night. A demon killed her family but she was saved by a man who promised that he will...
22.6K 717 37
Kuroo Tetsurou. The Tokyo's Godfather. The boss of the bosses. The demonic criminal. You hate him because of his illegal businesses. But everything s...
1.4K 203 87
Sworn of life begotten those who've traveled far after the white star shining ever so bright in the horizon, waking up you can only imagine those sig...