The Abandoned Princess

By KissesOcean

The story starts with "Once upon a time" and ends up with "She died with her head unattached to her body." An... More

Skippable c:
Abandoned Princess
0: Heart of Glass
1: Heart of Glass
2: Heart of Glass
3: Heart of Glass
4: Heart of Glass
5: Heart of Glass
6: Heart of Glass
7: Heart of Glass
8: Heart of Glass
9: Heart of Glass
10: Heart of Glass
11: Heart of Glass
12: Heart of Glass
13: Heart of Glass
14: Heart of Glass
15: Heart of Glass
16: Heart of Glass
18: Heart of Glass
17: Heart of Glass
Characters Introduction Part 1
Characters Introduction Part 2
0: House of Gold
1: House of Gold
2: House of Gold
3: House of Gold
4: House of Gold
6: House of Gold
7: House of Gold
8: House of Gold

5: House of Gold

1.1K 51 8
By KissesOcean

 Deep down an unknown feeling lit a spark and illuminated her lonely heart. She felt warm and happy.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

My silver hair was braided elegantly around my head like a crown. Lucas even added the gold ribbon that Aiden had given to me which was woven beautifully. I jumped out of the chair and turned to the captain, saying, "I apologize for doubting you, Sir Lucas."

"It's alright, princess. I've always wanted to braid my future daughter's hair like this someday," he replied, patting my head gently so as to not ruin his work. "It's like I have become a second father to you after this."

A warm smile spread across my lips, liking the small gesture he made. Then I remembered that I had planned to give those to Lucas. I went to one of the drawers, tore the page from my sketchbook, and retrieved the handkerchief from my closet before returning to the captain.

Beaming, I said, "Thank you for everything, Lucas." The two objects I made were the best works I had created yet, as I continued improving my artistic skills.

He held the paper where a drawing of him holding a bouquet of Ryllis flowers, staring at it for a while, and went to look at the handkerchief with green vines at each corner of the cloth and his initials embroidered in red thread.

"On second thought, please marry me," Lucas said in awe.

I don't mind marrying a handsome young man. Lucas was still in his prime and a respected noble who served an important role in the kingdom as the Captain of the Imperial Guards. Among all potential suitors, he was one of the most eligible bachelors for any young woman of status. If I ever marry him, wouldn't I be safe with him protecting me as his wife? I can even make him brush my hair every day. And he will no longer have to look for someone to marry, since he's quite the unlucky one in finding a partner. It's a win-win for both of us. Also, age wasn't a problem.

"Your thoughts are slipping out, princess. I would like to take my words back. His majesty and the prince would have my head if you were to become my wife."

"What a shame," I  said in disappointment.

He chuckled and quickly switched the topic. "Speaking of prince. Why don't we visit him together?" 

Without much thought, we went to see my brother. The crown prince's room was on the third floor directly below mine. He looked surprised to see me enter with Lucas. Exhaustion was still visible on his face despite his complexion had returned. 

"W-w-what is she doing here, Lucas?" he stammered glaring at the captain as if he had been betrayed.

A despondent feeling stirs inside me. Although I'm using Aiden to my benefit for my survival, it pained me how he acted as if he did not want to see me at all.

My heart sank when I approached my brother's bedside and saw the way he looked as if he wanted to run. Bowing my head, I said, "I'm sorry."

"Ah– no. That's...You shouldn't–don't apologize, sister."

I looked up at him with the hope that he wasn't angry, but his face held conflicting emotions. He didn't want my apology and yet he's making a face like he's constipitated.

I felt like a husband trying but failing miserably to decipher his wife's cryptic change in mood and attitude.

The anger inside me was rising that I wanted to scream at this very moment but at the same time, the frustrations and wanting to give up made me want to lay on the ground and cry.

"Prince Aiden, if you keep doing that the princess will misunderstand you. You see, the princess gave me these a while ago and asked me with a blushed adorable face—'Oh, my charismatic Captain~ please marry me!'—that's what she said and I wouldn't mind taking her away from you..."

The mixed feeling I had quickly vanished. I stared at Lucas with dead eyes while he spouted lies to Aiden. The captain childishly fluttered the paper and cloth that were from me over the prince's face.

"No!" The little prince pushed Lucas's hands with an angry pout. "I'm against this! I won't let you have my sister!"

Lucas withdrew while feigning sadness and spoke to me, "I apologize, princess. It seems you cannot have me."

Seeing Aiden's adorable pouts made me want to tease him. It was also a payback for making me run around just to catch him.

"How about we elope together, my dashing Captain?" I said, giving him wide, pleading eyes.

Lucas cracked a smile but suppressed his laughter by clearing his throat. "My sweet young maiden, you shouldn't speak of our plans in front of the prince. He did say he was against our love~"

I looked to Aiden, who was too stunned at what he was hearing, leaving his mouth hanging open.

"Whatever do you mean? The prince doesn't want to see me. He wouldn't mind if I go with you. Right, Prince Aiden?" I asked with an expectant smile but it quickly vanished.

I did not expect him to easily tear up. Maybe I went too far?

"Tha-that's not true!" He cried as he jumped to the side of his bed and hugged me. "I'm sorry, Elaine. Please.. Please don't leave me!"

As Aiden begged, Lucas quietly left us with a proud look on his face as if he had already done his part.

Oy! Where are you going? We both made the child cry!

I sighed inwardly, wondering how to make him stop crying. But isn't this a perfect time?

"But you're avoiding me. Why do such a thing if you don't want me to leave you?" I tried to pull away but he clung to me tightly. "Did I do something to make you mad?"

"Of course not! It's just..." His strong grip around me loosened as he shook his head. "You won't understand if I tell you."

Relief washed over me, realizing he had no lingering resentment. 

"I won't understand unless you tell me," I countered gently.

After a few seconds, Aiden reluctantly released me, tears visible on his cheeks. I remember the first day we met. He was just like this, hurt and crying.

"I..." he began, his voice trembling as he struggled to open up.

"It's alright. Take your time," I reassured him softly.

He lowered his gaze, his hands fidgeting in his lap.

"I'm mad at myself, Elaine. Mad because I couldn't protect you. I'm the crown prince, the future ruler of this powerful land of ours, but–but I'm just a weak scared boy who only knows is to cry while his sister was dying in front of him," Aiden confessed words were full of regret and self-condemnation. He looked up at me, his eyes swimming with tears and anguish. "Even in my dream, I'm still powerless. Every night I would dream of you—" He cast down his gaze once again as if he could no longer handle looking at me, "of the dead you."

All this time he had been enduring these all... The nightmares that continue to haunt him and the burdens not only by the weight of the crown but also the guilt and grief. He was just a child and yet he's facing it alone.

Without hesitation, I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him close in a tight embrace and leading him to cry more. My heart breaks hearing the loud cry and the agonizing pain he was going through.

I held him until his cries turned into quiet sobs. I sat on the bed and said, "I couldn't do anything to the children being killed before my eyes. I don't know them but all I can do now is honor their death." I turned to Aiden and wiped his tears. "It's alright to feel powerless and to feel the overwhelming weight of responsibilities of a prince. Whether you feel scared or vulnerable, it doesn't make you weak, it makes you a human."

I then held his hands and squeezed them lightly as I continued, "They thrive when faced with trials and challenges because through these experiences humans learn, adapt, and ultimately become stronger individuals."

"Like father?"

 "...Yes, like uh–father." That came out of nowhere. "Remember this Aiden, you can't let weakness define who you are." I waited for those words to sink in him before saying, "Let's get stronger so that we don't have to watch someone dying."

He nodded. "Let's protect each other from now on," he promised with eyes full of determination. He placed my hand on his cheek and he smiled which I hadn't seen in a while. "Thank you, sister."

His words touched something deep within me. This time I was tearing up. How can someone be so adorable and endearing yet sound so reliable?

I'm crying in joy. I think I might be safe from being beheaded.

The door suddenly swung open and I almost cursed out loud.

...I should not have celebrated so early.

"Father!" 

I found myself being dragged by a happy prince as he rushed towards our father.

At the sight of his son, his gaze hardened and a chill went over me when his eyes bore into mine.

Tears welled up in my eyes once again.

What's this..? Tears of fear?

Nothing good comes in every time I think positively. When I got myself expecting a good outcome destiny just slaps me across the face for being optimistic.

As I stood there waiting to be accused of making his son cry, Lucas was no help standing behind the king as he carried a tray with a rather troubled look on his face.

With a tear-stained face, Aiden started rambling to Edmund while I at the same time was busy praying for my dear life.

"I...!" Out of fear I unconsciously shouted and instantly the room fell silent as two pairs of golden eyes were fixed on me. The stare from both father and son made me want to hide under the bed.

Before I could utter another word, Edmund stepped closer and swiftly hoisted me and Aiden, carrying us to the bed.

His demeanor was calm as he said, "I understand. But if you want to grow strong, you must nourish yourself."

With blank thought, I watched while the king gently wiped our tears away. I almost overlooked the faint smile on his face amidst the sudden action of the king.

"Fa-father," I spoke out loud and immediately shut my mouth.

His smile disappeared sending a shiver down on my spine. 

Why? Why did I suddenly call him? It was as if I got possessed and spoke... Maybe it was the original Elaine's desire had caught on me that me call him.

What do I do now? Surely he'll be displeased hearing me say that, just look at his eyes which held no coldness. Huh? The king was looking at me with patient curiosity, waiting for me to continue.

The gods must have listened to my prayers to live another day.

I shook my head claiming it was nothing.

His gaze lingered for a moment that I started to sweat afraid that he might push me to continue before turning his attention to Lucas and giving an order.

The captain approached with bowls of steaming hot soup on the tray he was holding. He handed it to me with an apologetic look. The king wasted no time and instructed us to eat in a tone that left no room for objection.

"Eat."

The sun was about to set but the temperature was still hot. Beads of sweat formed on my brow as I stared at the hot soup hesitating to grab the spoon.

Is this some kind of punishment?

"...It's hot," Aiden remarked with discomfort after he received his bowl.

"Majesty, I told you that it's a bad idea," Lucas said with a strained voice. "The children don't have a cold to have soup."

"Is..that so." The king looked a bit dumbfounded. "Then take a rest first, I'll come back to get some more...suitable food."

As if on cue Aiden yawned blinking his eyes while Lucas retrieved the bowls. And with exhausted voice Aiden said, "Sister, let's sleep together." He laid down holding my hand and immediately drifted off to sleep beside me.

I watched Aiden's peaceful face knowing the nightmare will no longer visit his dream. I couldn't help but wonder about the king's attitude. He's acting like a proper parent. Perhaps he's always like this when it comes to his son.

As I was about to remove Aiden's hand I felt a gentle pressure on my forehead as the king's hand pushed me onto the pillow.

He then urged softly, "Get some rest, Elaine." His touch lingered for a moment longer before withdrawing. Hearing him for the first time when he spoke of my name left me stunned. I don't know what to feel nor how to react to it.

"Have good rest, princess," Lucas said with a satisfying smile. "I'll inform your maid so she won't be worriedly looking for you."

Haisley will definitely look for me with panic face when she finds I was not in the room.

"Thank you." Sensing the exhaustion settling over me I closed my eyes and spoke softly remembering the act we did, "Let's not do it again, Lucas."

"I agree."

Before I could drift off I heard the king say, "What's this about?"

"Oh, me and the princess were acting like lovers awhile ago," Lucas informed while chuckling.

And before the door closed the king said in an icy tone. "Lucas, make sure to eat the soups before it gets cold."

Although it occasionally happens where there's a large gap difference between the partners age. The way I see it now it just felt wrong. An eight years old girl married to a man who's in his middle 20s.

This day turned out to be unexpectedly good. And now I was afraid that something bad will happened when I open my eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24 1 17
Once upon a time in a little town long forgotten there lived twin girls different in every way except appearance. They had two loving parents, a slig...
209 9 13
A girl who comes from the different era, with different race; somehow transmigrated to the world she had never expected to experience.
1.1K 36 8
She was just a normal woman living her life in the modern world, when suddenly after an accident... she wakes up in the body of a person inside her f...
58.7K 1.2K 21
"Yay it's here, the new anime on dvd is finally here! No more waiting it's just across the street" "Yay I got it!" What an amazing anime DVD can't be...