For Now | Dreaming Trilogy |...

By SlytherLiz

The flames took everything from Phoenix; now they want her, too. ***** Shadows cast down upon a realm far fro... More

Author's Note (PLEASE READ)
Phoenix | Still Beating
Shyanne | Perfect Girls
Shane | O'Rins Man
Phoenix | New Record
Shyanne | Mr. Crowning
Shane | The Dream Void
Phoenix | Control
Shyanne | The Dreamers
Shane | Safe
Phoenix | Dreamers and Promises
Shane | Bunny
Phoenix | "I'm Not Nice."
Shyanne | Truth
Shane | Family
Phoenix | Past and Present
Shyanne | Phoenix's Problems
Shane | A Killer Tree
Phoenix | A Little Brother
Shyanne | Dark Past
Shane | Too Close
Phoenix | Forest of Angels and Ghouls
Shyanne | True Love's Death
Shane | Krasivaya Drakona
Phoenix | Ashes
Jake | Eaten Alive
Shane | Queen of Everything
Phoenix | Sky, Land, and Sea
Jake | Follow You
Shane | Dizzy
Phoenix | Cold Blooded
Shyanne | Reunions
Shane | Promises and Sacrifices
Phoenix | Epilogue

Shyanne | Madness

24 1 5
By SlytherLiz

Everything was going by so fast. Erza had disappeared, and the dragon fairies seemed really nervous. I would have said Jake did, too, but he always seemed on edge. Jael, Piper, Jacki, and Joie were talking in hushed tones in the corner. Phoenix had layed back down, looking distant and confused, and murmuring things that I couldn't make out. Shane paced back and forth in front of her bed, trying to figure out her dazed words. Jake was flickering from leaf form to human.

"This isn't good. I don't trust this. Something's wrong. The fire one is supposed to know things others don't." Jake muttered.

"What?" I asked. "The fire one" must have been Phoenix.

"What about Phoenix? She's just as confused as us." Shane snapped.

"She was the one who would understand." Jake said, landing firmly on human form. "Fire is the wise one."

"Wiser... Wiser!" Phoenix shouted. Her voice changed to something darker.

"Phoenix?" I asked, looking at her.

Something was up with her. Since she had tried to stand, her eyes looked so wild and terrified. She looked like she was going to collapse again.

She took in a deep breath and fell back onto her pillow.

"Ph-Phoenix?" Jake asked. I could tell he was still worried about her Dream State.

She didn't reply.

"What do you expect of her?" Shane asked. I had a feeling Shane was liking Jake less and less.

"The prophecy-" Jake started.

Shane cut him off. "Well maybe the prophecy is wrong!"

Jake shook his head. "Can't be."

"It could be." I muttered.

Phoenix came about then, and looked at Jake. She looked like she had just woken up from a terrible dream. "It isn't."

"You can't say that, Phoenix. Maybe we're not." Shane said, sounding happy to not be.

"Shane's right. Maybe we're not. Hopefully we're not." I assured the two of them.

Phoenix looked at me, her silver eyes still cloudy. I could tell she wasn't fully there yet. "What's so bad about being special? We could be remembered for something more than our failures here. We can be worth more than our pasts." Her eyes glittered for a moment, and I couldn't tell if it was from tears or excitement. For a second I thought it was both. Then she shook her head and it disappeared.

"What?" Shane asked.

"That's what I was thinking..." Jake agreed.

"Yeah, well, I said it first." Shane snapped.

"Boys, boys..." Phoenix said, smirking as her usual mischievous look returned. "We all know who wins all the arguments."

"Shyanne?" Shane mused.

I laughed. "No, no. I don't have to argue."

"Things get handed to you on a silver platter?" Shane asked, his tone changing.

"Um, yeah, I guess you could say that." I responded.

"I never accept anything anyone offers. Then again, no one offers things." Phoenix said bitterly.

"I had to work for everything for me and Kayla." Shane said solemnly.

It was probably the first time I realized how good I had it. My own friends were working so hard to keep everything okay while I sat back and did nothing and life went near perfectly. Except when Daddy got mad.

"I'm sorry..." I muttered.

"Y'see, I never had human issues." Jake beamed.

Shane laughed, and Phoenix managed a pained smile.

"You must have had it easy." Shane said.

"You must have been lucky..." Phoenix mumbled.

Jake shrugged. "I guess. It's just hard n-not being able to relate to people."

"I understand." Phoenix said. Something told me she wasn't lying.
"Dang, guys, we made this more depressing than it already was." Shane said, smiling sheepishly.

"Hmm, yeah..." I agreed. "I wonder what they're talking about..." I thought aloud.

Jael walked back over. I couldn't read the look on her face. It almost looked too stern.

"We're going to find her." She confirmed. Her voice wasn't what it usually was. It wasn't the kind, calm tone I was used to. It was fear.

"We?" Jake asked nervously. He shifted from leaf to human for a moment.

"I'll do it." Shane said, looking up.

Phoenix sighed. "I'm in."

"I'll always help." I confirmed.

Jael smiled bitterly. "I appreciate your offering, children. Really, but... This is a matter between myself and Erza."

"You can't go on your own!" Jake begged. "Please."

Jael smiled at him, walking over to run a hand through his hair. "You're a good agent, Jake."

Jake looked confused. "Why are you acting like this?"

Jael looked down. "Insurance." She said simply before walking over to Phoenix. Phoenix gave her a concerned look, but gulped down any signs of emotion under that tough exterior. "Be brave, Fire One."

Phoenix raised her chin and nodded slightly. "Yes, ma'am."

Jael smiled and moved to Shane. He gave her one of those innocent and confused looks, like a little kid who didn't understand taking candy was bad. I was surprised to watch Shyanne hug him. I was almost sure she whispered something in his ear, but I could tell it wasn't the right time to ask. Jael finally walked towards me. I swear I saw tears in her eyes.

"Jael?" I asked.

She gulped and hugged me tightly. "Shyanne..." She sniffled quietly. "You are always my best friend." She then let go, smiled at us, and disappeared into a shadow.

"That was weird for you guys, too, right?" Jake asked.

"Yep." Shane confirmed.

Piper, Joie, and Jacki flew over then. They each looked a bit saddened by something. "Shrill has her reasons." Piper said.

"Trust us." Jacki said near silently.

For once, Joie just nodded.

"Do you guys go off on random mood swings normally?" Phoenix asked.

Jacki smiled a little. "No. This is a special occasion."

"Oh?" Jake asked. "I guess it's just me then."

Shane and I laughed. Phoenix cracked a small smile and looked at the floor.

"You all need sleep." Piper finally said.

"Why? We're not seven. Like the time." Shane sassed back.

"Training!" Joie said excitedly.

"We're gonna train the Dreamers!" Jacki squealed.

Phoenix yawned. "Yeah. I guess I'm still pretty wiped."

Shane smiled at her. "Got beds? Other than the one Phoenix has?"

Phoenix smirked. "You ain't sleepin' with me, noob."

Shane just laughed and blushed.

"Second door on the right is girls' rooms. Left is boys'. Get some sleep." Piper said, pointing down a narrow hall.

I barely remember the room. I just remember the soft blankets and falling asleep.

...

I heard giggling. I rolled over, groaning slightly.

"Get up." I heard someone complain distantly. I opened one eye. Shane was standing over my bed, the dragon fairies all swarming around him, giggling; all except Piper, who was sitting on his right shoulder. Leaning on the doorframe behind him was Phoenix, reading a book with her hoodie back on.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up. "What time is it?"

"6:04." Phoenix said, not looking up from her book.

"Training day!" Shane yelled excitedly.

I nodded. "Okay..." I stood up, quickly tying my hair into a ponytail. "Girls, how am I going to explain to my parents where I was?"

Piper scowled. "Time doesn't pass the same way here. Five days here is five minutes there."

"Oh." Was all I could say. "So... Training?"

"You all ready for this?" Joie said, a grin spreading across her lips.

"Sure." Phoenix said, faking an excited air-fist moment.

"Let's get started then!" Jacki said, flying out of the room. The other dragon fairies followed.

I watched as Joie tried to grab Phoenix's hair to make her move, but Phoenix grabbed Joie in one hand without looking. "Don't touch me." She growled, releasing the fairy. Joie scrunched up her nose and flew off.

Shane and I laughed as we walked by Phoenix. Shane poked her. "C'mon, grumpy head."

"Grumpy blue head." I corrected.

Phoenix let out a short breath, obviously annoyed. "Can it, blondies." She muttered, pushing past us.

I took this chance without risking getting shot by eye lasers from Phoenix. "So," I started. "Has she told you anything?"

"What?" Shane asked, giving me a sideways glance.

"Opened up to you, I mean." I said, hoping to clarify things.

"Who? Phoenix?" He looked so confused.

"Duh!" I said, shoving him lightly.

"Oh..." He frowned. "No, not really."

"What?" I was genuinely shocked. They seemed like they had just clicked.

"I doubt she ever will. She seems really guarded." Shane explained. "Scared..." He added quietly.

I laughed. "That girl isn't scared of anything."

Shane shook his head. "Fire." He said, and then we walked into the sunshine. Piper was waiting there.

"Let's start easy." She said as the twins flew to either side of her. Phoenix was standing behind Shane and I now. "Summon your weapons."

"Wait, what? How?" I asked.

Joie frowned. "Focus on it. Duh." She rolled her eyes.

I sighed. "Well that clears things up..." I mumbled before shutting my eyes. I thought about the bow and arrows. Their beautiful carving, their intricate designs, their colors. I suddenly felt the weight of the arrows on my back and the smooth wood in my hands. I opened my eyes and smiled. There it was! "Done." I smirked.

Shane had his face tight, his whole face contorting with concentration. I heard the tranquil sound of water over shells, and Shane's machete appeared in his hands. "Done!"

Phoenix sighed. "I can't do it."

Jacki smiled encouragingly, flying to Phoenix's side. "Yes, you can." She said. "Just focus."

"I can't!" Phoenix repeated, her voice rising.

Piper frowned. "You are told to be the strongest." She said flatly.

"Yeah, well, I'm not." Phoenix said. "I don't even want to be here." She finally snapped. "I don't want to be anywhere. I mean, it's not like there's anywhere to go. I'm just rushing to my deathbed, aren't we all? Just..." The fire returned to her eyes. "Just, SHUT UP!" She yelled.

There was a moment of shocked silence. Suddenly, it was filled with the roar of flames. Phoenix winced and dropped her sword. "I don't want this." She said, before storming out.

Shane stepped forward to follow her, but I grabbed his arm. "Let her cool off." I recommended.

Shane grudgingly nodded, looking worried after her. Phoenix's sword disappeared into nothing but smoke.

Piper made a tch sound with her tongue. "She is the strongest."

Jake rushed in suddenly, pushing an angered Phoenix along.

"What are you DOING?!" She shouted.

Jake was turning into leaves with every breath, trying to catch it. "News!" He said. "News from Jael!"

"What?" I asked, jumping towards the leaf man.

"What is it?" Piper questioned, flying to my side.

"She..." He paused, taking deep breaths.

"Spit it out, leafy!" Phoenix demanded. Her eyes still had that dangerous glint in them.

"She's in trouble. She said she needs us to come. Follow me, and hurry!" Jake said, already turning out the door.

"Should we stay?" Asked Jacki.

"Dragon fairies will stay behind, yes. We'll hold the base. Dreamers, follow Agent Maple." Piper instructed.

"What's going on?" I asked, a lump of worry forming in my throat. "Is she hurt?"

Jake shrugged. "Hurry!" And he dashed out.

Phoenix huffed and chased him, followed by me and then finally Shane. Phoenix didn't summon her sword.

"Where are we going?" Shane asked.

"Teleports." Jake said, as if it made everything clear. No one said anything else as we rushed through the halls to a dark room, with just one thing in it; a blue, glowing, orb. "Touch it." Jake said. Everyone followed command without question. "I'll be staying here to guide your route. Good luck, Dreamers."

With a flash of bright light, and a tingling feeling throughout my body, we were standing in the forest. Jael was on the ground, and a scream escaped my lungs. Even Phoenix looked horrified. Jael wasn't just on the ground... She was bleeding, her own katana through her chest.

"Sh-shyanne..." She whispered weakly.

"Jael?" I rushed to her side. I saw Phoenix shake her head and step closer to Shane, cowering behind her a bit. I didn't care. This wasn't happening. "Wh-what..." Tears streamed down my cheeks and I choked up. My best friend was... No. She wasn't. This is just a dream.

"You must... Fight..." Jael said, reaching for my hand. "Fight for... The Rebellion..." Her breathing was shallow. "Fight, my little warrior." She smiled in a dazed sort of way. I gripped her hand tighter, but she went limp.

"No." I choked out. "No!" I shook her body. "Wake up! Wake up!" The world stopped. I didn't care about the shadows slowly moving in on us. I didn't care that Phoenix and Shane had started crying. I didn't care that Phoenix had hugged Shane for comfort. I didn't care about anything except her. My best friend. She couldn't be gone! I felt so many emotions. Rage, fear, and most of all, sadness. A deep sadness that chills your very core. A rage that leads to madness. And a fear that makes you lose your mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 69 32
EDITING Abigail was 13 when her parents were killed, but she was fortunate enough to have loving grandparents to take her in. She lived a pretty nor...
4.2K 299 54
With the shake of a bell And a chant of a spell The innocent princess was made to forget it all Until she was to fall ...
11.5K 629 38
They were just two friend probably too obsessed with The Vampire Diaries, but can you blame them? It was a normal night, the moon was out, but both M...
3.6K 171 7
The is now a SAMPLE ONLY. The story will continue EXCLUSIVELY on AnyStories. "Hello little one" came a booming voice, deep and sultry that made my s...