It's the Little Things That C...

By AvatarSnips

Drabbles about Gabriel and Nathalie inspired by prompts from the GabeNath Reverse Bang 2023 (originally publi... More

Day 1: A Large Shift in a Relationship
Day 2: When Will You Stop Hoping?
Day 4: A New Enemy
Day 5: Bickering Like an Old Married Couple
Day 6: Snuggled Together
Day 7: Broken Glass
Day 8: Why me?
Day 9: Waking in the Middle of the Night
Day 10: Waiting for the Other
Day 11: What do you know about love?
Day 12: Almost
Day 13: Finding a Cat
Day 14: Nightmare
Day 15: You're Hurt/Never Again
Day 16: Rekindle
Day 17: Too Late/Sacrifice
Day 18: In a Heartbeat
Day 19: First Kiss/I Can't
Day 20: Kiss Me
Day 21: Are You Happy?
Day 22: Spare Me
Day 23: Tides
Day 24: You've Changed
Day 25: Whisper/Help
Day 26: Hero
Day 27: Sinking
Day 28: Shoelace
Day 29: Stop Playing With My Heart
Day 30: Overwhelm
Day 31: (Tear) Stain
Day 32: What Are You Looking For?
Day 33: No Fear
Day 34: Painful
Day 35: Caress
Day 36: Growing Old
Day 37: Temporary
Day 38: Consequences
Day 39: You're Not the Only One
Day 40: Bagel/Now What?/Blood Oath
Day 41: Lost Glasses
Day 42: Butterflies/Look At Me
Day 43: Rumor
Day 44: A Lingering Touch
Day 45: Without a Heart/Fluttering
Day 46: Our Home
Day 47: Purple
Day 48: Curiosity Killed the Cat
Day 49: Don't Look Back
Day 50: Give Us More Time
Day 51: A Beginning
Day 52: An End

Day 3: A Little Sparkle

112 4 0
By AvatarSnips

When Gabriel said the dress had "a little bit of sparkle", she hadn't been expecting this.

She decided against telling him that.

"It's beautiful," Nathalie told him instead. "Who is it for?"

"You."

Her eyebrows rose. "Me? What on earth would I need it for?"

He straightened his necktie. "There's a gala tonight to celebrate the opening of another store.

She nodded, having made most of the preparations herself. "Yes, but I was under the impression that I would be attending in the same manner as always?"

"I decided to give you a break," Gabriel replied. "You've been working so much lately, along with your additional help as -you know- and I thought you'd like to go as a guest instead."

She observed the dress again. It was much flashier than what she was used to wearing with its high neckline, nearly floor-length, dark blue skirt, and glitter. So much glitter.

She hadn't worn a dress in years -other than Mayura's, of course- but that didn't come close to being a gown like this.

"It's a lot more than what I'm used to," she admitted.

"If you're worried about standing out, don't be. If anyone should be concerned, it's Audrey Bourgeois, based on what she's designed for herself."

Nathalie was unable to repress a smile.

"You'll blend right in," he continued.

"Thank you, sir. Are you still planning on attending?"

Displeasure briefly flashed across his face. "Yes, against my better judgment. As much as I hate being in public, I don't have much choice. Alas, it's my store."

Nathalie wasn't surprised with how well the dress fit her. Gabriel was a world-renowned fashion designer, after all.

She wished Duusu could see it, but her energetic kwami would be staying behind, along with her Miraculous. Gabriel had promised that even if he akumatized someone, he wouldn't ask her to be Mayura.

With the brooch safely hidden in a drawer, she glanced in the mirror. The dress did resemble Mayura's, now that she thought about it. But Gabriel was right; it did suit her. She'd also added the blue pendant he'd gifted her. Her hair was in its usual bun, aside from a silver barrette.

Nathalie left her room, tablet in hand. She knocked on Adrien's door, checking her to-do list. "Adrien, it's time to go."

Muffled voices came from inside his room; she assumed from his friends on a phone call. A moment later, he opened the door, a bright smile on his face. His father had given him a maroon suit, similar to the one he usually wore to fashion shows.

The boy practically did a double-take as he saw her. "Whoa, Nathalie, you look amazing! I've never seen you wear anything besides your work clothes."

She gave him a small smile. "Thank you, Adrien. Are you ready to go?"

"I think so. Father's coming too, right?"

She nodded confirmation, glad to see how happy the news made Adrien.

They waited downstairs, Nathalie still glancing at her tablet to make sure everything was in order.

It was quite suddenly taken from her hands. She looked up, meeting Gabriel's eyes. "There's no need for that," he said. "You will be attending the gala as a guest, not as my assistant. I told you before, remember?"

"Yes, sir."

He looked her up and down. "You look lovely. Is the dress to your liking?"

She gave another nod, forcing back a smile. It was likely he would never know the effect he had on her.

"And you, Adrien?"

"Yes, Father, it's great."

"Good."

As Gabriel went to the door, Adrien cast a look at her. He seemed to have a question on his mind but his father spoke before he could ask. "We don't want to be late."

Nathalie put a hand on Adrien's shoulder, gesturing for him to go forward.

Like the gentleman he was, Gabriel offered his hand to help her into the car. She could almost fool herself into thinking . . . no, she wouldn't.

Let Gabriel keep believing she was only his assistant, his friend, and nothing more.

It was better for all of them that way.

The gala was flashy, to say the least. Despite all of the glitter on her gown, Nathalie did not stand out. Thank goodness.

Gabriel was not having as easy a time as her; he flinched away from anyone who got close. Before his speech, he was expected to socialize.

With a sympathetic look aimed his way, she said, "You should at least make yourself look approachable, Gabriel. Try to . . . I believe the proper word is 'mingle'."

He sighed. "Perhaps you're right." Though he inched closer to her as yet another guest passed by.

"I can accompany you," she offered.

He looked relieved. "Thank you." When prompted, she took his arm, practically leading him through the crowds.

"Ah, Mr. Agreste!" An unfamiliar man exclaimed. "How wonderful to see you again!"

From the look on his face, Gabriel didn't seem to remember him either. "Yes . . ."

The man looked at her. "And this lovely lady is your-"

"Assistant," Nathalie interrupted before he could get the wrong idea.

"Huh."

"She isn't working right now," Gabriel added. "Hence the wardrobe addition."

The man - who she still didn't know the name of - looked at the gown appreciatively. "Did you design it?"

Gabriel gave a nod.

"You must be some assistant, Miss."

She cleared her throat at the implication in his tone. "Excuse me, but we have many guests to attend to. Good evening." She and Gabriel moved away before he could reply. On their way, they each grabbed a glass of champagne from a server. Nathalie didn't drink -especially in her condition- but it was always important to keep up appearances.

Gabriel exhaled. "I still have no idea who that man was."

For a second, a smile came to Nathalie's face. "Neither do I."

He glanced at her. "If you don't remember then it certainly can't be my fault."

She almost laughed, but a familiar blonde was heading their way. She tightened

her grip on his arm, murmuring, "Audrey Bourgeois."

He frowned.

Nathalie stepped back as Audrey arrived in front of them.

"Always a pleasure, Audrey," Gabriel said, forcing a welcoming expression onto his face.

As they talked - well, as Audrey talked - Nathalie looked around for Adrien. She saw him talking to Kagami. The two seemed close but Adrien looked a bit awkward with any physical contact.

Audrey's eyes were full of disdain as she turned her gaze to Nathalie. "I remember you, from Gabriel's fashion show. Didn't he fire you?"

"I did say that, didn't I . . ." Gabriel murmured to himself. "Audrey, you know how difficult it is to find good employees these days. And I've known Nathalie for years; it wouldn't make sense for me to fire her for one, ah, conversation."

He'd been the one to plan that encounter anyway, all to akumatize Audrey.

Audrey sighed. "I haven't had one good assistant in the past three years. In fact, I've fired five just this week."

Nathalie could only imagine how awful it would be to work for Audrey Bourgeois.

Gabriel smiled tightly.

She was prepared to step in, as she had for the previous conversation, but her head began to spin.

The still-full glass slipped from her fingers. Gabriel managed to catch it before it could shatter and set it on the nearest table. He shifted his hands to rest under her elbows and led her away from Audrey, who'd become distracted with her husband.

"Nathalie?" Gabriel asked quietly, helping her sit in a nearby chair.

"I'm alright." She tried to offer him a smile, like every other time. It was a phrase they both knew was a lie, but nonetheless, both hoped each dizzy spell would be the last.

With her gaze swimming, the sparkles on her dress looked much brighter than before. She pressed her fingertips to her forehead, relieved as the dizziness slowly faded.

Gabriel placed a cup of water in her other hand, kneeling in front of her. If the circumstances were different, she would've prompted him to stand, as they were in public.

With a nod of gratitude, she looked around. Luckily, it seemed no one had noticed the spell.

Nathalie pushed herself to her feet, saying a quick, "I'm fine now," to Gabriel's skeptical look. Similarly, Adrien was watching her with concern in his eyes from across the room. She waved, smiling as he raised his hand in return.

Gabriel almost voiced his annoyance as the music swelled, indicating it was time to dance. And Nathalie knew it wouldn't be long before he was approached and invited to take part. An offer he couldn't refuse.

Despite the fact that she was still recovering, she said, "If you don't want to dance with a stranger, I will dance with you. Unless you'd rather dance with Audrey?"

The look on his face told her his preference. "Yes, if you're up to it, I'd much rather dance with you."

As he took her hand, she didn't try to hide her smile. Neither did Adrien, who watched them from his spot on the other side of the dance floor. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.9K 2K 79
Another gabenath love story 😏 Enjoy❤️ (Credits to whoever drew the fanarts I know they are from different people but I just take them randomly from...
237K 5.7K 30
"What is Marinette doing?" Adrien said. This was the fifth time she rejected his invitation to hangout and she was avoiding him at school. There was...
256 12 10
Of course Marinette appreciates the gesture - Chat Noir was always one to go above and beyond for the people he cared about - but she hadn't been exp...
349K 16.1K 48
Each chapter is a separate story (unless otherwise stated)! ✓ COVER BY: @SummerSnowQueen © 2015-2018 KʀʏᴘᴛɪCᴀᴛ Aʟʟ Rɪɢʜᴛs Rᴇsᴇʀᴠᴇᴅ