Poe's Nightmares

By LadyEckland

Step into the shadowy realm of "Poe's Nightmares," a mesmerizing collection of short stories and poetry penne... More

**Foreword: The Shadowed Quill - Edgar Allan Poe and His Legacy**
The Solicitors Shadow
Slumber In The Morgue
The Beckoning Darkness
The Pendulum's Secret
Nevermore
The Whisperering Heads, A Tale Of The Macarbe
The Lighthouse Keeper's Echo: A Tale of Haunting Whispers and Restless Spirits
The Curse Of Fellwinter
The Phantoms Hall
Confessions Of A Murderer
Serenade Of Shadows
The Scratching
The Masquerade Of The Red Death
The Tell-Tale Heartbeat
The Oval Portraits Curse
When Falls The Coldest Night
The Ravens Shadow
Opiums Lament
The Ghost At The Window
The Portrait Of Eliza Grey
The Tell-Tale Scar
The Black Cat
Ghostly Touch
The Portrait Of Sorrows
The Duchess Of Decay
The Anatomy Of Shadows
The Gallery Of Wychwoods Horrors
The Clockmakers Apprentice
The Phantom Coach
The Lurker At The Threshold
The Masquerade Of My Love
The Shadowed Manor
The Cosmic Horrors I Witnessed
The Grave Robbers
The Dead Keep A Vengeful Watch
The Midnight Visitor
The Tell Tale Head
The Haunting Of Eliza Vaughn (inspired by the poem Annabel)
A Requiem For Seraphina (inspired by Poes Story Berenice)
The Tell-Tale Heart Of Vengeance
The Complex Labyrinth Of The Heart
The Whispering Walls
Obsessive Torment
Paranoid
Whisper's From The Abyss
The Masquerade Of Lady Elara

The Unveiling of the Van der Aart Legacy

3 2 0
By LadyEckland

"In the shadowed halls of the Van der Aart estate, where ancient walls whisper of unspeakable horrors, lies the chilling truth: not all monsters lurk in the darkness—some wear human facades, feeding on despair and weaving nightmares into the very stones. Here, the line between human and horror blurs, revealing the true face of terror beneath the guise of family."

The mist clung to the ground as I walked up the weed-choked path to the Van der Aart estate. Even in the morning light, gloom pervaded the isolated valley where the ancient house stood. The letter crumpled in my fist was an insistent pull; I had not heard from my old friend Alaric in years until his desperate plea for help arrived yesterday.

The front door creaked open before I knocked. Alaric's gaunt face startled me. His sunken eyes regarded me with a feverish intensity.

"Julian! You came!" He seized my arm with bony fingers and drew me inside. "Please, you must help me. This place—there is something horribly wrong here."

I glanced around the dusty foyer. Once-grand furniture lay under sheets, obscured like specters. The curtains were drawn as if to keep out the daylight. Cobwebs stretched across oil paintings of stern-looking ancestors.

"This house has always been rather dismal, Alaric, ever since we played here as children. But what troubles you now?" 

"It is not just the house.” Alaric led me down a portrait-lined hallway. “Since Mother and Elise returned, I feel as if...as if a presence has come with them. An atmosphere of decay and madness that infects us all."

I recalled the unexpected reappearance of Alaric’s mother, Mireille, and his sister Elise after years of unexplained absence. Their whereabouts had been a mystery.

"Where did they go all those years? Why have they come back now?"

"I do not know." Alaric turned to me with haunted eyes. “They will not speak of it. Mother has shut herself in her rooms. And Elise...” He shuddered. “You remember her vivacious laugh? Now her voice is cold as a tomb, her smiles menacing. I no longer know them."

I grasped his shoulder, unsettled. We entered a dusty parlor. Two still figures stood by the mantel, their backs to us. Alaric cleared his throat. 

"Mother? Elise? Our guest has arrived.” 

Mireille turned, surveying me with colorless eyes. Though years had passed, her ageless beauty persisted beneath an alabaster mask.

Elise drifted forward, moving with preternatural grace. Her long black gown and ebony hair contrasted starkly with her white skin. She extended a hand on which blue veins were finely etched.

“Welcome, cousin Julian.” Her voice was a midnight caress. “We meet again after so very long.” 

I bowed awkwardly over her icy fingers. When I raised my eyes, she held my gaze with a hint of a smile. Behind her fathomless dark eyes I glimpsed something...wild, ancient, inhuman. I repressed a shiver.

Alaric drew me away. “Come, I will show you to your room.”

I glanced back at the two women as we exited. Elise watched me, motionless, while Mireille stared blindly at nothing.

Upstairs, Alaric led me through a maze of corridors before stopping abruptly.

“Here we may speak freely. The walls themselves seem to have ears of late.” 

I looked askance at him. “Surely you don’t think...”

“That the house listens? I know not what to think anymore.” Alaric pushed open a door. My dusty chamber harbored shadows despite the daylight. “Ever since their homecoming, I feel the very foundations affected. Tell me I am mad, Julian. That none of this is real.”

I guided Alaric to a chair. Kneeling before him, I firmly grasped his hands.

“You are under tremendous strain. This house, the mist, your worry for your family... You must cling to reason, Alaric. I am here now. I will get to the bottom of this.” I spoke with more conviction than I felt.

Alaric searched my face. “I pray you speak true. You have always been an anchor in turbulent waters. But there are things I have not told you...” He hesitated.

A scream echoed down the corridor. We leapt up and rushed to the open door. Distant sobbing echoed along the passage.

“Elise!” cried Alaric. We ran toward the sounds until we found her crumpled on the floor, golden hair unbound, shoulders heaving. Alaric touched her gingerly.

“Sister, what has happened?” 

She raised a tear-streaked face shaped of alabaster beauty. “Alaric! I came upon Mother wandering the hall, carrying a candle, peering into dark corners and whispering to herself. When I tried to lead her back to her room she flew at me in a rage!” 

Elise drew back her sleeve, revealing bloody scratches on her white wrist. Shocked, Alaric drew her to him. She buried her face in his shoulder.

Over her bent head, Alaric and I exchanged uneasy glances. I had never seen Elise emotional in life; even as a child she had possessed unnerving self-possession. What force could reduce this ethereal woman to such despair? 

“Come, Sister.” Alaric raised Elise to her feet. “Let us leave these cold halls. Some sunlight will restore your spirits.” 

Elise walked quietly between us to the garden, a wan figure trailing diaphanous skirts. She wandered among overgrown plantings with her arms wrapped tightly round herself while Alaric recounted earlier eccentric episodes of his mother’s to me in an undertone.

“It began with Mireille rising in the dead of night to dig violently in the weed-choked beds, her nightdress soiled with dirt and blood. When I try to restrain her she screams vile curses no gentle mother could know...”

Elise beckoned to us from an arched entry hewn into a massive hedge. Stone steps descended into the earth below.

“The old root cellar,” said Alaric. “We were never allowed there as children.”

Elise called, “Let us explore it together! I wish to see everything today...” Her voice echoed oddly against the stone walls as she vanished into darkness. 

I queried Alaric with a look.

“She has been thus lately,” he murmured. “Recklessly adventurous one moment, hysterical the next. I know not what demons drive her.” 

We followed Elise down into musty shadows. Ancient wine racks lined the walls, trailing cobwebs thick as tapestries. In the furthest corner hulked a gigantic oak cask bound in tarnished metal bands. 

Elise stood before the cask, hands trailing along its sides. “Here is where the blood flows,” she whispered. “The blood and souls of two hundred years.”

“Sister!” Alaric crossed the floor swiftly. “What madness is this? Come away, let us return to the light.”

He grasped her shoulder. She spun with a hiss, eyes wild.

"The blood calls me! I must answer its song, as our ancestors did!”

Her face transformed before my eyes, skin stretching, jaws extending, pupils narrowing to serpentine slashes. Alaric stumbled back with a cry. 

Heart pounding, I pulled him away. “This is no fanciful madness,” I gasped. “Your sister is lost to some malevolent force!” 

We fled up the steps with Elise’s shrieks echoing behind us. At the top we slammed the root cellar door and shoved a heavy planter before it. Her pounding assaults made the ground shiver. 

“What has she become?” Alaric choked out.

"Your sister is gone.” I shepherded Alaric away from the heaving door. “That creature below is not Elise anymore.”

Stumbling blindly through the gardens, I glimpsed Mireille drifting among the neglected roses. Her colorless eyes passed over us without recognition. Alaric flew to her. 

“Mother! Please, we must flee this cursed place!” He clutched at her hands. She peered down indifferently as if a strange dog fawned for her attention.

My skin prickled as I beheld her. Though beauty still clung to Mireille’s frame, she seemed diminished, blurred...incomplete.

“Alaric.” My voice was grim. “This may resemble your mother, but I fear her essence is lost. She has become a living ghost.” 

Alaric fell to his knees with a cry.

As I helped him stand once more, the air pulsed with vicious energy. A tearing crash exploded from the direction of the root cellar. Alaric tensed.

“Elise.” My heart pounding, I hurried Alaric toward the house. “Bar the doors. We must find a way to escape.”

We hastened inside to the sound of approaching footsteps. Alaric sprang to slam the front door shut. Ancient hinges groaned in protest. Dust sifted from the ceiling.

"This house and land are infused with something monstrous,” I panted. “It has possessed your family, reduced them to shadow puppets.”

We dragged furniture to block the trembling door. As Alaric strained to shift a moth-eaten settee, dark liquid abruptly burst from his mouth. I cried out in horror. 

Chest heaving, he stared down at his blood-spattered shirtfront with dull shock. “So it takes me at last...”

“Alaric!” Fear coursed through me. “You cannot leave me alone to face this!” 

He sank to the floor, hands shaking as he fumbled for a handkerchief. “Forgive me, Julian...” He trailed off, eyes fixed at a point over my shoulder.

I turned with trepidation. Elise drifted toward us down the hall, strands of her hair writhing like serpents. She smiled, revealing bloodied teeth filed to points.

“The blood calls us all home eventually.” Her voice echoed as if from the bottom of a deep well. Behind her Mireille glided mindlessly.

I helped Alaric to his feet. “We shall answer its call, Sister,” he declared defiantly, “but not today.” 

Clasping my arm, he smashed a pane of glass from the nearest window. I swung my legs over the sill, then reached back for him with urgency.

With a tremendous crack, the barricaded front door imploded, hinges screaming. Our heads jerked toward the sound. 

Howling triumphantly, Elise surged through the ruins. She moved disturbingly fast on all fours. I seized Alaric and we tumbled out the window just as she slammed into the wall beneath it, claws raking the air where we had stood. 

We crashed painfully into thorny bushes. Elise’s infuriated roars hounded us as we limped desperately across the weed-choked lawn toward the front gate. The tendrils of mist snaking around our feet seemed to clutch at our legs. 

At last we reached the crumbling stone arch marking the estate’s boundary. I dragged Alaric through, both of us gasping. We collapsed on a blessedly solid swath of road where the fog had burned away under morning sunlight. 

Behind us the gates creaked. Alaric stared wild-eyed over my shoulder. “The house!” he choked out. “Look!”

I turned to follow his trembling finger. Past the gate, the Van der Aart house let out a low, anguished groan. Cracks appeared along its face and across the roof’s expanse. Shingles slid free, crashing to the ground. Dust puffed out from disintegrating window frames.

“The house feeds the evil as much as the land does,” I whispered. “Deprive those entities of their conduit and they lose their power!”

We watched, transfixed with horror and awe, as the estate that had sheltered generations of Alaric’s ancestors met its final end. With an ear-splitting shriek of iron and stone, the house imploded in on itself. 

For a moment we could only stare wordlessly at the pile of rubble where a home had stood moments before. Then Alaric fell to his knees, weeping like a lost child. I knelt and cradled him as his body was wracked by sobs.

At last Alaric raised his dirt-streaked face. “What now, Julian? I am the last of my line.”

Mist still eddied around the ruins, but sunshine glowed brighter beyond the gates without the house to cast its imposing shadow.

I helped Alaric stand once more and gestured toward that light.

“Now we walk onward, beyond this darkness,” I told him gently. “Let the cursed fog enshroud what remains. Your family’s legacy ends here.” 

Supporting each other, we turned our backs on the ruins and began the long descent toward a distant dawn.

****

It has been ten years since Alaric Van der Aart and I escaped the nefarious forces that possessed his family’s isolated estate and ultimately caused its destruction. Though he lost his ancestral home, I managed to help my friend reclaim his life from the darkness that had nearly consumed it.

We took up residence in brighter climes, and the past decade has seen a gradual but remarkable transformation in Alaric. Warm sunlight has returned color to his face which, though lined now, has lost its formerly haggard aspect. He married a cheerful widow who helped banish the gloom from his eyes, and together they are raising a merry brace of children. No shadows lurk in the corners of their cozy home.

Alaric turned the tragedy of his youth into a positive calling. Though once destined to lord over a decaying estate moldering under perpetual fog, he instead became a physician who specializes in cases of melancholy and madness. The wisdom and empathy derived from his bizarre ordeal have made him beloved by patients afflicted with afflictions of the mind.

I too settled near Alaric’s new home. As confirmed bachelors and boon companions we see each other frequently, reminiscing about boyhood adventures over brandy as our hair greys. In peaceful moments I see Alaric gazing into the fire, doubtless remembering that isolated valley shrouded in mist where once his forebears reigned. I know he still mourns their loss in his own quiet way.

But evil truly perished with that crumbling edifice ten years prior. Not once has Alaric spoken of sensing the chilling presence that had haunted his ancestral home once Elise and his mother returned from their mysterious absence. Nor have any strange rumors circulated regarding that isolated property, so befogged it is nearly forgotten by local villagers. Where once a great house stood, sheltering generations of Alaric’s family beneath its imposing roof, now only a few scattered stones remain amidst overgrown weeds and creeping mist. No one in the area dares approach that cursed plot of land.

By unspoken agreement Alaric and I have never returned there either, together or alone. Yet at times when autumn fog lies thick outside, I notice him shiver beneath his blanket by the fire. And briefly his eyes grow haunted once more, as if envisioning two beautiful, pale-faced specters gliding silently through dark corridors that now exist only in memory.

But then his cat hops in his lap or his youngest child scampers over to show him a new toy, jolting him back to the snug warmth of home and hearth. chuckling, he banishes the last remnants of the chill night with a kiss on the child’s tousled head.

Thus Alaric vanquished the ghosts of his past and went on to write new stories filled with light. And whenever melancholy threatens at the edges like an encroaching fog, I am there to gently guide his gaze back toward brighter horizons. Together we ensured the cursed legacy ended with the fall of his forebears’ estate, entombing evil beneath the rubble of its downfall so it may haunt this world no more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31 0 8
The hisses and whispers of the creatures lurk in the darkness. The screams of anger and hunger bounce off the dusty crinkled books. Harmless creatur...
313 117 53
In the shadowed corners of whispered folklore, where the veil between worlds thins, "Whispers in the Dark" emerges as a chilling collection of ghost...
65 4 26
Diego Reyes' heart evoking poems and gothic tales serve as a teaching guide and social commentary for those who read them. His work is heavily inspir...
2.9K 28 47
Short stories and poems