Can You Feel It?

By SkylerChase29

โThe FBI Agent with walls of steel and The Mafia Spy who couldn't feel.โž ๐ŸŽญ "Can you feel it?" "Feel what?" "... More

Iแดแด˜แดส€แด›แด€ษดT
prologue
00.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
16.

15.

205 14 25
By SkylerChase29

KAYA

I was no hacker. But I had my ways. And surviving in the Mafia without knowledge would be a fool's way of living.

Right now, though.....

I slid my phone back into my pocket, aware that even if it was tapped by the FBI, no one would find anything. I'd paid an expert on the Dark web handsomely to achieve some underhanded features on this new phone.

I pushed a strand of loose brown hair behind my ear, adjusting my dark rimmed glasses as I crossed the street. In front of me stood 'Coke and Cafe', the place Ace apparently frequented.

My disguise for the day would make me look inconspicuous. No striking looks to catch attention.

I looked around subtly before entering, noting the lack of windows. Brick walls surrounded the place mostly and inside, there was low bass music playing. Natural light barely filtered in and the place was lit up by the artificial light of the many computer screens in there. Good, the cover of darkness was always welcome.

I allowed my senses to scope out the surroundings as I made my way deeper into the place, down the couple of stairs in the beginning. 

From the outside, the place gave a much more dainty look. Even the entrance was subtle. But the real deal occurred deeper into the Internet Cafe.

Raucous laughter rose from a corner where men played pool. Cue sticks met the balls and the sounds rang off. A couple of roughed up kids played darts next to them. Two women kept going to and from, coke cans and noodles on their trays. Waitresses. There were probably more.

People sat behind the computer screens, a group of high school kids made a scene with their loud voices as they played some sort of video game. Girls in boot cut shorts and bralettes, make up done fully, hung from the arms of some better looking guys.

The smell of noodles and sweat was covered up with a disturbing mix of perfumes and colognes.

I took a seat at the bar in the corner and ordered a mojito. The female bartender with dark curls gave me only a split second look, chewing on gum before she got to work on my drink. I took it from me, paying in cash from my own separate bit of money.

I couldn't leave trails.

I held the drink for appearance's sake, eyes scanning. 

Waiting for my prey to arrive. 

Waiting for my hunters to arrive. 

Waiting......for one opportunity.

I slipped my phone out of the pocket of my high waist blue jeans. 

2 New Messages.

I opened them.

Unknown: Gone hunting, have we?

Unknown: Alright then. Catch me if you can.

I closed the phone, looking up as I walked away from the bar, drink in hand. My eyes went to the half-open windows on the side that overlooked the lower part of the side street.

Marcello's men wouldn't make a normal entry. They'd secure all openings first.

I couldn't have them getting to Ace before me. I simply couldn't. I scanned the window on the left before switching to the right, bypassing a leery man before knocking into someone just as I saw two of Bruno's men.

I typed out a response: You should leave. Or they'll get you this time.

I stilled, widening my eyes as the drink spilled onto the unfortunate soul who became the recipient of my miscalculation. "Oh, my god. I am so very sorry, I-"

"It's alright." The middle-aged man with thinning hair and wrinkled eyes waved his hand dismissally, rubbing at his navy blue shirt, and I smiled apologetically as I kept the glass on the table nearby. Then I brushed past him as I made my way to the exit with a subtle increase to my pace.

I climbed the stairs.

Smelt the smoke.

Saw it blur the way ahead.

Looked up.

A guy with a bird tattoo leaned against the sidewall, blowing circles into the air and watching me as I passed. Cigarette in hand, smirk on his face. The space was cramped and I was forced to brush him as I passed.

Disgusting men. And yet......

I couldn't help it then - the tiny twitch of my lips as I opened the door and made it back into the sunshine. I walked out normally, passing three more of Marcello's men and trusted my own skill in disguising. My pace remained normal as I slipped into the bustling street. The sidewalk with its tall building entrances and newspaper stands. I walked till I reached the bus stand, making sure I hadn't been followed.

Living under constant surveillance makes you hyper-aware of the gaze of others. It was something I learned early on and never forgot. These were the men I'd seen time and again on Black Syren compounds, even if they never saw me in my true form.

Once I was safely in the bus - what an ironic word to use for myself, safely, hah - I allowed myself a moment.

I stared at the phone screen, at Ace's message from four minutes ago.

Unknown: Sneaky.

Me: I won.

Unknown: Did you, really, Artemis?

Me: Those who live in shadows know how to recognize others of their kind. No?

I exhaled and looked out of the window, waiting for a reply.

Five minutes later, he sent a message.

Unknown: I want into Black Syren's database.

And just like that, I realized I'd truly set myself on a path that differed far too much from what Marcello had planned for me.

—🎭—

I shoved my very first spoonful of salad into my mouth as I confirmed that the bugs I'd installed in the FBI headquarters finally were working. I rubbed my eyes, chasing away sleep as the night fell and I glanced over at my remaining work files.

My hair was in a messy bun and the sounds of night-time cityscape made it to my apartment, albiet a bit muffled on the 8th floor. One glance at my window showed me the lit up skyline and traffic on the streets, giving glimpses of the Chicago River around which the roads snaked.

I looked back at the screen of my laptop instead, watching live footage playing in front of me and wondered what would happen if the bugs io'd successfully put around the office were to be discovered. Despite Marcello telling me that these would evade the current bug detectors the Agency supplied, I wasn't about to put any faith into his words. On the off-chance something happened, I'd face the fallout. But Marcello most probably wouldn't risk making a scapegoat of me just yet. He still had much to achieve through me.

Before I ponder more or run through any of the footage, my phone beeped, and I checked to see it was a gambling spam message.

Which was also code for me to call Marcello.

Going through the whole process of opening the secret compartment in the vintage table and taking out the burner phone, I braced myself to talk to him.

"I want information, and I'm not getting it, Artemis." Marcello was being to the point, no honey-coated words right now. He wasn't in a good mood.

"I've bugged the office. Holt should be getting the stream soon enough." I calmly responded. Holt was the head hacker of Black Syren. I'd dealt with him enough.

All my digital devices were connected to the main server and a mirroring software had been installed. Holt - and by extension Marcello - could see all my messages, browsing history, pictures whenever they wished to. And that was how I lived, no crumbs of 'privacy' were afforded to tools like myself.

"Hm. Your first month is almost over, I don't think I'm getting enough information though. Is Rex under your spell?"

"I'm working on it."

I could hear him breathing heavily. And that was another hint that told me he was in a bad mood. If I were there, he'd already have--

"My people don't think so, Artemis. They're saying you seem to be getting comfortable." He paused, "Are you?"

"I wouldn't dare. I simply have to present a normal front. I have to build a semblance of a daily routine." I explained, watching in the mirror on the opposite wall as my lips moving and yet my face remained expressionless.

The sound of something crashing came through the phone.

Oh, he was certainly in a mood.

"I miss you."

I didn't reply.

I knew precisely why he missed me and I did not share the sentiment-

"Don't you miss me, Artemis? Hm?" He wanted an affirmative answer. That's what he'd get.

"Yes." I made sure to be as curt as possible, and we both knew it was a lie.

He chuckled darkly and my skin pebbled with goosebumps. "Lies." There was static over the phone before he spoke up again, "We managed to evade two raids of the FBI thanks to you. Make sure you keep it up. I heard about the data blackout Ace caused. Any updates or information on him?"

"No."

"You really hate talking to me, don't you?" I blinked slowly and my eyes lowered, no longer watching my expressionless face ion the mirror. "And that's exactly why I love it."

The sound of a whip cutting through the air and meeting flesh entered my ears through the phone. I heard a gagged sound, I didn't know the gender but I knew what Marcello was upto. I closed my eyes.

"You hear that, pet?" His words were whispered, "I really do miss you." He snickered, and I felt my fingers tightening the hold I had on the phone. "Anyway, I must let you go now. Your request was fulfilled. I hope you use the opportunity well."

Without waiting for my response, he cut the call. 

Blankly, I closed the vintage entrapment, hiding away the sins of my very existence in this place, and went back to my bedroom.

I'd just grabbed the bowl of unfinished salad when the bell rang. I promptly let go of the food, pulling on a gray tee shirt and padding to the door.

In front of my door, on the floor, was a parcel. I furrowed my brows as if in confusion.

Cameras would pick up every reaction of mine from here on out, after all.

It must have been a 25 x 30 cardboard box. I bent to pick it up and turned it round to find the address. 

Bingo.

I glanced next door and stepped out of my own apartment with said parcel in my hand. 

Time to use the opportunity well.

Ringing the bell of Erex's apartment, I waited to hear a response.

"Come in!" 

I rose a brow, wondering to myself, and proceeded to open the door swiftly, staying silent. I wasn't about to correct his mistake. Getting such access to his personal space was one of the most important things I need to check off my list.

And finally, I stepped inside, closing the door behind me.

"I'll be there in just a moment!" Erex's gravelly voice seemed to be coming from the left. 

I looked around, confirming that the design of the apartment was the same as mine, just set in the opposite manner, like a mirror image. Which meant he was probably in the kitchen.

I wasn't going to put any bugs or discreet cameras  in his place today. I needed to get the layoout first. I walked cautiously, subtly looking around for cameras. 

Bright light filled the entry way and the apartment gave quite a normal feel. It wasn't excessively personalised from what I could see, but it wasn't barrenn and cold and technical either. Hmm.

I presumed he had discreet cameras installed and that made things much more difficult for me but I didn't have any other option either. I walked further in, making sure not to divert too far away or it'd be suspicious when he'd come out to see me eventually.

My eyes caught onto the paintings decorating the navy blue walls of the apartment. Just as I took a step closer, his voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Sneaking in like a stray cat now?"

Hooded caribbean blue orbs locked with mine as I turned around immediately, finding the man inches from me. Erex Di'Castillo looked down at me with a dark smirk teasing at his lips, hands in his pockets and a casual olive shirt with rolled up sleeves showing off his attractive forearms.

I narrowed my eyes at him but he only raised a brow silently. Amusedly.

He might be calling me a stray cat in a derogatory way at the moment...

But he didn't know he was the mouse in this case. 

And stray cats were the best hunters.

—🎭—

A/N

Oops. 

Okay, so I know I'm really late but WE ARE FINALLY BACK ON TRACK! I can't belive I wrote after so long. It's genuinely been the longest time in years I went without writing at all but I just had such a busy schedule and writing or indulging in even reading was a luxury. I was basically just dying. College is HECTIC.

Hope you've all been well though and thank you so much for being patient enough and reading so far. I really appreciate it and I can't belive we're about t o hit 10k views on CYFI?!?!? Please don't forget to vote and comment btw! It's my motivation T_T

Anywyays, I trulu hope this chapter wasn't too bad. it was definitely a bit hurried and took me a while because I was getting back into the scene and story. Also because I changed a major plot point because I realized it'd pose a bit of big plothole in the future. So I also had to brainstorm and come up with a new route for the plot to proceed through. Then again, this is a first draft so I can only pray you'll be aware of that and allow me some leeway lol.

What do you think of this chapter, though? It was a bit of a filler only. Giving snippets and foreshadowing towards certain things. I've raised some sure mysteries here (or so I hope lol) and also,be prepared for a good amount of Erex and Kaya content in the next chapter. More progress, mwahaha! I'd thought of that chapter since ages ago so it shouldn't be excessively hard to pen down.

Please take care, y'all. Summer is really heating up and I know that because I'm having a tough time facing the worst kind of summer for the first time in my life in a new city. Stay hydrated, sleep well and don't stress like me lol.

All in all, see you next week hehehe. Till then, byeee!

~Skyler

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 67 17
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...
2.8K 253 75
๐€๐๐๐Ž๐“๐€๐“๐ˆ๐Ž๐: 18-year-old Ria wants nothing more than to be someone else. She hides a dark secret that afflicts her for days and nights. Sudd...
15K 1.5K 45
๐Ÿ“–Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list๐Ÿ“– Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...
7.1K 355 45
You used to love the fairytales , but it was the cold you were afraid of. Sharp cold shivers as you uncovered the cold body of little red riding hood...