COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown
Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events

1.1K 61 13
By Weebooguy

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Kagurazaka's room

Kushida's POV

I wanted to take the opportunity to expel Kagurazaka, but I couldn't because of the contract.

But he played a part in getting Yamauchi out of this school.

'Why are you glaring at me?'

I crossed my arms, "What do you think?"

He shrugged, 'I can't read your mind.'

I clicked my tongue, "Tsk... I hate you."

'I know... You've told me multiple times.'

His attitude passes me off... I have ranted about him, and his response was... okay.

Okay? Okay?! I thought I would hurt his feelings, but he didn't care.

I continued staring at him with a cold glare.

'When Yamauchi blamed you, your mask was going to slip.'

I don't need to be reminded... He stopped Horikita from drilling into me, giving me time to compose myself.

I wasn't thankful.

'I hope you can remove your mask and be comfortable being yourself.'

I also wish that, but the consequences would be severe. The entire class would turn their backs on me.

I wondered, "How did you figure out that Yamauchi spread the rumors?"

'The rumors were weak.'

I hate admitting it, but the rumors about him were weak. I could've done a better job.

'Jealousy.'

I wanted to disagree with him, but I remembered the aggravated look the other guys gave him on Valentine's Day.

'I know you weren't the one to spread the rumors because of a similar incident that happened in your past.'

'You told someone.'

He wasn't asking a question but stating the answer.

"Where's your proof?"

'Only three people know your past. Me, Horikita, and Ayanokouji... I know it wasn't me, and Horikita wouldn't think of doing something like this.'

I wasn't going to tell him if he was right or wrong.

'It has to be Ayanokouji, or did you tell someone else about your past?'

...

I hate this guy...

Kagurazaka's POV

I'm not surprised she's staying quiet. I will change the subject.

'Kushida, would you trust me if the contract didn't exist?'

She sneered, "Never."

I'm bringing this up because I no longer know who to trust. None of Kushida's "friends" know her authentic self.

How could she trust someone she had played a role before then... They are unaware and think Kushida is a kind and cheerful girl.

She could be seen as the most popular but the loneliest person.

Kushida chose to live her life this way.

'You should find someone you can rely on.'

"Is that your advice for me?" Kushida sneered, "Who the hell could I trust?!"

'Me... Let's say the contract didn't exist. I know your real self. If you decide to trust me, I think it would help you... It feels like you're forcing yourself to interact with me. It would remove a heavy weight from your shoulders and mind.'

Kushida didn't say anything before getting up and heading to the door.

~Timeskip~

Next day

After school, the full-fledged discussion was finally just about to begin. Nobody moved from their seats as the bell rang except Hirata, who stood up immediately.

"Hirata-kun!"

"H-Hirata-kun!"

As several girls raised their voices, including Mei-Yu, to get his attention, Hirata continued walking. 

Hirata seemed disinterested in his classmates' well-being and avoided interacting with them. He followed a daily routine of attending classes and then going straight home.

"Wait a second, Hirata-kun!"

"You guys are the ones who should wait."

Mei-Yu and the others tried to chase after him, but Horikita's words stopped them in their tracks.

"We're about to have a discussion. Do you want even more people to miss out on it?"

"B-but..."

"There's nothing any of us can do for him right now. Hurry up and return to your seats."

Horikita suppressed their desire to chase after him and motioned for everyone to return to their seats.

Our top priority is getting everyone on board with establishing the class policy for the exam.

"Kouenji's still here somehow?"

Given that Kouenji's participation was entirely unexpected, Sudou's voice was filled with surprise.

"Fufufu. I'm part of the class, am I not? Of course, I'm here. Even Silent-boy seems to have joined," Kouenji spoke shamelessly.

"However, I'd like to wrap up this discussion today. I'm quite the busy person myself."

"That'll be difficult. This special exam isn't something that can be decided overnight. Even if we decide on the events today, we must practice them to win persistently."

Horikita stood behind the teacher's podium and shut Kouenji down completely. After this, Kouenji didn't raise any objections and sat down at his desk with a big smile. It appeared that he was willing to listen to her for now.

"If that's the case, it seems I'll only be participating this one time."

Kouenji was unwavering in his stance and showed no signs of being willing to work together on the issue, regardless of the class policy. 

Sudou considered getting up but sat back down when Horikita gave him a stern look. Sudou realized that making a scene would hinder the conversation from progressing.

"Then, I'll just have to do what I can to get you to participate next time, too."

Koienji took Horikita's warning with a smile and crossed his arms and legs.

This was his way of telling her to continue with the discussion.

"Uhm, Horikita. I've got a simple question about event participation I wanna ask you."

"And what is that, Ike-kun?"

His hand raised, Ike spoke up.

"We'll be competing in seven events. But, like, we won't have a turn at it, will we?"

"What do you mean by 'we won't have a turn at it'?"

"Erm... Well, to put it simply, I mean those of us who suck? For example, students who aren't particularly good at physicals or studying aren't going to have a turn to participate. It's not like all seven events will need many people. If we pick events that only need a few skilled people to participate, we won't have anything to do, right?"

We would only need twenty to thirty classmates to participate, so some students in our class may not have to participate in the exam.

"I don't know about that. What if an event needs twenty people or something?" Karuizawa said.

"You're so stupid, Karuizawa. You can play football with eleven people on a team. What event could need more than that? I can't think of a single one, can you?"

"Uhm~... Somethin' like baseball?"

"Baseball only needs ten people, even less than football!"

"Baseball needs nine people."

Horikita immediately cut in, sharply pointing out Ike's inconsistency.

"...Well, my point still stands either way."

"I dunno Kanji. American football needs eleven people like football does, and rugby needs fifteen."

Sudou listed off a few events that would require more than ten people.

"Yeah, but do you want to force people to play rugby or something? I don't even know the rules!"

I can't imagine our class playing rugby. We would get stomped on.

"So, I don't think we'll need to participate."

"What's your point here?"

"That... I don't think we need to meet up like this or hold practice sessions moving forward."

"I understand that you want to take it easy. After all, it's mentally taxing to do something you don't want to do. Besides, it'd also cut down on your precious break time."

"I-I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but you know..."

"Either way, we all need to work together."

"How about you tell us why that is? If you can convince me, I'll do my best to support you."

This time, Sudou spoke, "Because how many people we'll need to participate depends on our opponent's rules. For example, one of the events they propose is volleyball. Usually, volleyball is a competition between two or six teams, but the rules can change that somewhat. What if the match had a time limit of thirty minutes, and the rules stated that every ten minutes, all participants had to change out with somebody new? I wonder what would happen then?"

"Erm... With six people changing out every ten minutes, that's..."

Eighteen people with that alone. Nearly half of the students in each class would have to participate.

Moreover, because there were only six people needed at any given time, the rule would be simple and easy to follow for pretty much anybody. The school would most likely approve of it as well.

"What if there's more than one event like this? But, everyone would be forced to participate in two or possibly even three events. We need to be prepared for something like that."

Of course, this all depended on the events and rules that Class A would devise.

It was more than possible that they might have included a few fake events like this to make it more difficult for us.

"I know this hasn't quite clicked with all of you yet, but this special exam is more complicated than you're making it out to be."

If we were to go over each event individually, we'd eventually come up with some ideas that seem rather ridiculous.

Strange ideas for events like rock-paper-scissors or poker wouldn't be unusual now.

After all, getting those crucial four wins would be far more critical than trying to make yourself look good.

Regardless of how impractical the suggestions might seem, picking out the right people for events we know they can win is what ultimately mattered most.

"I don't even plan on taking up too much of your time."

"So, I'd like to leave everyone here with some homework for today. If possible, I want you to come up with ideas for events you're good at and events that you think you'd never lose and give them to me by after school tomorrow. It doesn't matter if it's something you do alone or if it's done in a team."

"But there's no point unless it's something the school approves of, right? I don't understand their standards."

The school would turn down events and rules that are overly obscure.

However, the lack of clarity regarding that was probably an issue for many students.

"Don't worry about that right now. We can think about it after we've heard all of the ideas. For now, feel free to suggest anything that comes to mind."

"Then, you're saying you'd even be fine with video games or karaoke?"

"Yes. Anything."

Again, Horikita stressed this point, telling the class they didn't have to worry. I had no issues with how she was handling the situation.

We needed to start by finding out what everybody's strengths were.

"What do we do if there's nothing we're good at?"

Hasabe chimed in with a question for Horikita.

"I don't mind you not having anything if you're not very confident in yourself. It'd be risky to use an event if you lack confidence in your ability to win it."

"You're fine with ending the discussion so early like this?" Kouenji asked.

"If it's this short, it'll be easier for you to participate next time, won't it Kouenji-kun?"

"When I say I'll participate one time, one time is as much as I'll participate."

"...But, it'll be problematic if you don't do the assignment I gave you today. If you don't, it would be rather hard to say you participated, wouldn't it?"

"Come up with ideas for events I'm good at, was it?"

He put his hand to his chin and showed an unwavering smile.

"Yes. If you want to say you've participated, you at least have to do that."

Horikita wanted to force him to participate again if he couldn't.

Kōenji elegantly stood up from his desk before announcing to Horikita, "There's simply nothing I can't do. I am a perfect human, after all."

I wasn't surprised...

"No matter who you're up against or what the event is, you're certain you'll win. Are you sure about that?"

Her words were filled with one-part provocation and one-part intrigue, and it was as if she couldn't help but look forward to how Kouenji would respond.

"I see. You want me to pledge that I'll win any event I participate in, right?"

"That's right. You're free to do whatever you want if you can do that. You wouldn't have to participate in any more discussions, and I won't ask you to give your input."

"H-hey Suzune."

Sudou spoke up, alarmed by her outrageous proposal, but Horikita continued.

"But keep in mind, if you don't participate or lose... I'll be suspicious of anything you say, and your classmates' distrust of you will skyrocket."

"I'll leave you with this. You'd best not think you can bind me with words like that. While I am an unrivaled genius who wouldn't lose to anyone, it's up to me to decide whether or not I use that talent for you."

Yup, that sounds about right... It was a no from Kouenji. He walked out of the classroom.

With that, Kōenji turned around and walked out of the classroom.

"...Ordinary methods aren't going to work with him at all, huh."

"That guy... He has a lot of nerve underestimating us like that. Spouting out nonsense that he's some unrivaled genius who wouldn't lose to anyone. I'd kick his ass at basketball if he had me as his opponent."

"If he puts in the effort on exam day, he might show results, at least to a certain extent. I don't know how much I could get through to him, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah, but..."

"...But, do you think he's even going to show up?"

"Who knows."

~Timeskip~

Ayanokouji's POV

Next day

Horikita informed me of something when she arrived at school in the morning.

"I've decided not to consider Hirata-kun as an asset, at least for this exam..."

She seemed to pause and shook her head, "Kagurazaka-kun... He seems more distant."

Hirata was too unstable, and Kagurazaka must have had much on his mind.

It would probably only backfire on us even if we could force him to participate.

"It'll be fine if it's just for this exam, but depending on the situation, his behavior might continue for quite a while."

Her concern was not an exaggeration in the slightest.

Everyone was hoping for his recovery, but for the time being, it was unclear how that was going to happen.

"If you think his behavior isn't going to stop any time soon, there's still the option of getting him to drop out, right?"

I brought up another idea, and while she was somewhat surprised by it, she reacted calmly.

"That's... Well, that may be something I'll have to think about. It's a relief that he didn't throw everything away and suddenly say he wanted to become the commander this time."

It was not an unreasonable thought that Hirata would nominate himself as the commander for the upcoming exam so that he could purposely lose and get himself expelled. 

However, he didn't take on the position as he didn't want to cause problems for others, even if he had no attachment to the school. It's possible that he was just passively doing what he had to do every day because dropping out would penalize the entire class. 

He plans to leave when the time is right without causing trouble for the rest of the students. However, it is essential to note that this is just his current attitude.

"But- That doesn't necessarily mean he'll always act like this, right? Who knows when he'll get desperate...?"

"Yeah."

"That's why I don't want to force him to participate right now. He's a bomb that could go off at any moment, and I'd like to unify the class so he doesn't explode on us."

Out of everything, Hirata hated internal conflict the most.

So, to avoid causing more of it, Horikita has been taking an active role in our class since the exam started.

"Sounds rough."

"You've taken on the commander's responsibilities, so you'll have it rough, too."

"I'll leave all of that to you. I'm the commander, but I'm sure you'll be able to develop adequate ideas."

She glared at me with an irritated look in her eyes.

"Can you beat Sakayanagi-san with that kind of attitude?"

"Who knows."

"Who knows...? I, for one, intend to win. Could I get you to be more involved in making that happen?"

I knew there was no need for her to be telling me that.

"Are you asking me to be actively involved with the class and decide on the participants for the events or the rules about how the commander will be allowed to intervene in them? Try and imagine what that would be like."

As I spoke, Horikita's expression gradually tightened.

"...I can't imagine it at all, almost to the point where it's terrifying."

"Right?"

Even though I had become the commander, I was just a shadow to the rest of the class. This fact wouldn't change. If I suddenly started explaining everything, people would think something was wrong with me.

Instead, I planned to take on a more active role, using Horikita's strategy as a baseline. While we were talking, I felt a sudden change in the classroom atmosphere. 

Hirata had come to school, and though many students tried to avoid looking at him directly, it was clear that they were still worried about him.

"G-good morning, Hirata-kun!"

He was almost late for school when Mii-chan called out to him. Despite the classroom's hostile atmosphere, she bravely decided to reach out to him. 

However, Hirata disregarded and ignored her attempt. He quietly took his seat without reacting to anyone around him.

But even so, Mii-chan's smile didn't waver.

"Who could've imagined that this would happen now?"

"Really."

Despite Mii-chan's best efforts, Hirata's self-isolation continued.

"All things considered, she's the only one who hasn't given up on reaching out to Hirata-kun. I didn't think she had such a deep connection with him, but..."

Horikita had noticed that Mii-chan was especially concerned about Hirata, and she seemed to wonder why Mii-chan would push herself to do something like that.

"It's because she's compassionate, isn't it?"

"That wouldn't make sense unless she treated other people this way, too."

"That's fair."

If that were the reason, Mii-chan would have probably been more compassionate when Yamauchi was about to be expelled. 

Therefore, there was only one reason left to explain why she kept reaching out to Hirata.

"Maybe it's love."

"I suppose that's the only possibility left... What a truly worthless sentiment."

Horikita crossed her arms out of exasperation and shook her head as if to say she couldn't understand.

"Perhaps we should limit the class resources we're willing to spare to deal with him... What do you think?"

In other words, she said to have everyone leave Hirata alone for a fixed period.

"Wouldn't that be difficult?"

"Not at all. Nobody takes the initiative to reach out to him anymore except for her."

Hirata even chose to ignore Mii-chan, the one who had been the most devoted to him.

Given the situation, there certainly wouldn't be many students willing to do even more for him.

"Motive aside, I hope she forgets about it somehow."

Horikita was probably thinking about how she could get Mii-chan to give up.

"If this is as far as it goes, I won't complain. But it's starting to take its toll on her."

"Well, she hasn't been herself recently."

Besides, the class's atmosphere worsens whenever Hirata's situation arises.

Hirata had disregarded Mii-chan a few moments ago, but she didn't seem discouraged by this as she approached him a second time.

"Uhm, Hirata-kun, today at lunch-"

This time, it looked like Mii-chan had reached out to invite him to eat lunch together, but...

"Could you please leave me alone already?"

"...!"

Hirata's relatively harsh words echoed throughout the classroom.

He had rejected Mii-chan's request before she could finish her sentence.

"It's annoying."

While his words weren't as harsh as they could've been, his voice contained nothing but cold emotion.

"Th-that, I... just wanted... to eat lunch, together with you..."

Mii-chan tried as hard as she could to keep smiling, but the tense emotions eventually got to her, and she couldn't hold onto it any longer.

"I'm not eating. Not with you."

His rejection couldn't have been more explicit.

Not wanting to see Hirata acting like this, many girls in the classroom quickly looked away.

"Hey, hold on Yousuke-kun. Isn't that kinda going a bit too far?"

At this point, Kei chose to speak up. Given the situation, it may be more accurate to say she had been forced to.

I could easily imagine the scene where Kei's friends ask her if she could do something. If Hirata pulled back now, Kei would save face, and the class would temporarily regain its composure.

However-

"Would you mind not calling me by my given name so intimately like that? You don't have anything to do with me anymore, alright?"

"That's true... Then, Hirata-kun, you went way too far with what you said to Mii-chan."

Kei corrected herself but still confidently addressed Hirata.

She played her role as the leader who brings the girls together perfectly.

"Compared to how you normally talk to others, there isn't much difference."

Hirata's rebuttal was merciless.

"Wh...! F-for the sake of the class, I-!"

"Could you be quiet already? If you don't... You know what'll happen, yes?"

Hirata forcibly blocked Kei from trying to say anything further.

His words were a threat; If she carelessly said anything more than this, he'd expose absolutely everything.

At least, it was inevitable that Kei would take it that way, given that she had shared her weaknesses with Hirata.

"What? Ugh, how annoying. I don't care anymore."

Now that it had come to this, there was nothing more Kei could do.

She backed down, albeit reluctantly.

"How long do you plan on standing there?"

Only moments after destroying Kei, Hirata changed his sights to a crying, motionless Mii-chan. 

Kagurazaka stood between Hirata and Mii-chan, staring the young man down.

"Get over yourself; you can't save everyone. If you keep this attitude up, you'll regret doing something terrible."

"Why must so many problem children be in my class?" Kouenji asked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 523 32
Kodo Ikusei High School - is a prestigious school with unrivaled statistics. 100% of graduates from this school go to university or find work. Studen...
8.8K 384 3
After a sudden confession from someone throws a wrench in his plans, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka suddenly finds himself caught in the middle of a crossfire b...
100K 3.7K 154
This story is my own take on COTE year 2. Some volumes will remain similar to the original, while others will be completely different. Some events fr...