COTE: The Quiet One Can Be Da...

By Weebooguy

Kagurazaka Norogumi is a unique student and slightly different from the others. Is he mentally and physically... More

Vol.1 Chp. 1: Two Different Students
Vol. 1 Chp. 2: Club Fair
Vol. 1 Chp. 3: A Long Week
Vol. 1 Chp. 4: End Of Peaceful Days
Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms
Vol. 2 Chp. 1: Bad News
Vol. 2 Chp. 2: Finding The Witness
Vol. 2 Chp. 3: Bonding With Other Students
Vol. 2 Chp. 4: Dealing With A Stalker
Vol. 3 Chp. 1: A Vacation... Nope
Vol. 3 Chp. 2: Island Exam
Vol. 3 Chp. 3: Misfortune
Vol. 3 Chp. 4: Things Going South
Vol. 3 Chp. 5: Everything Coming Together
Vol. 4 Chp. 1: Trouble On The Cruise
Vol. 4 Chp. 2: Cruise Ship Special Exam
Vol. 4 Chp. 3: More Problems Arise
Vol. 4 Chp. 4: Planning And Threatening
Vol. 4 Chp. 5: Results Speak For Themselves
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 1: Summer Vacation
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 2: Hanging Out
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 3: Troubled Individuals
Vol. 4.5 Chp. 4: Volleyball Match
Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info
Vol. 5 Chp. 2: Preparing
Vol. 5 Chp. 3: Rules Of Nature
Vol. 5 Chp. 4: Getting Cornered
Vol. 5 Chp. 5: Final Stretch
Vol. 5 Chp. 6: Bitter Sweet
Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend
Vol. 6 Chp. 2: Paper Shuffle
Vol. 6 Chp. 3: Learning More About Someone
Vol. 6 Chp. 4: X
Vol. 6 Chp. 5: Returning
Vol. 6 Chp. 6: Closer To The Exams
Vol. 6 Chp. 7: A Group Was Form
Vol. 6 Chp. 8: Exam Time
Vol. 7 Chp. 1: Pursuers
Vol. 7 Chp. 2: Family Reunion
Vol. 7 Chp. 3: Confronted
Vol. 7 Chp. 4: Fearing The Unknown
Vol. 7 Chp. 5: Ryuuen Loss
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 1: Winter Holidays
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 2: Meeting With Manabu
Vol. 7.5 Chp. 3: A Date
Vol. 8 Chp. 1: Mixed Training Camp
Vol. 8 Chp. 2: Duel
Vol. 8 Chp. 3: First Day
Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time
Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results
Vol. 9 Chp. 1: Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 2: No Changing Intentions
Vol. 9 Chp. 3: New Rumors
Vol. 9 Chp. 4: Allegations
Vol. 9 Chp. 5: Confronting The Rumors
Vol. 10 Chp. 1: Class Poll
Vol. 10 Chp. 2: Courage
Vol. 10 Chp. 4: Accusing Another
Vol. 10 Chp. 5: Behind The Scenes
Vol. 10 Chp. 6: Learning The Truth
Vol. 11 Chp. 1: Event Selection Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 2: Discussing Events
Vol. 11 Chp. 3: Moving On
Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam
Vol. 11 Chp. 5: Class A vs Class C
Vol. 11 Chp. 6: Ayanokouji vs Sakayanagi
Vol. 11 Chp. 7: Final Battle
Questions
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 1: Graduation Ceremony
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 2: A Lost And Scared Lamb
Vol. 11.5 Chp. 3: Farewell
Q & A

Vol. 10 Chp. 3: Traitor

1K 61 8
By Weebooguy

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Ayanokouji's POV

After school, the day before the vote, everyone was feeling uneasy about the decision that would be made tomorrow on which student to expel. The thought of someone's seat being emptied was weighing down on the entire class.

However, they still had a reassuring belief that things would be alright. Unfortunately, someone had been chosen as a sacrifice, and that was Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, who would be expelled from school. 

More than half the class had already sided with this course of action, and many were probably feeling guilty about it. Despite the guilt, they believed it was a small price to pay as long as they could save themselves.

After a while, the guilt would fade away.

A year later, all they would remember was that I was one of their classroom peers. However, I didn't feel any hatred towards them. Everyone was frantically trying to devise a solution to avoid being expelled; unfortunately, I happened to become the target. 

Yamauchi, with the help of Kushida, managed to gain the sympathy of the classmates and suggested that they vote for me. Since they trusted Kushida, they couldn't refuse. Yamauchi's plan was well-executed, but it was a shame that he chose me as his target. 

If he aimed to avoid expulsion, he should have gone after Ike or Sudou, who wouldn't have been able to recover from this situation. However, that wasn't an option since Sakayanagi was the one controlling everything. 

In any case, I had to take action to remove someone else instead of myself, but I couldn't make a significant change. The girl sitting next to me had a different demeanor than before, and her aura had changed as if she had been enchanted.

Kagurazaka's POV

"Well then, that's it for homeroom. Tomorrow is a Saturday, but there will still be an exam, so don't oversleep," Chabashira said, marking the end of school.

Everyone was ready to begin packing up their things and head home.

"Could I have a moment?" Horikita, her voice filled with confidence, called out to every student in the classroom.

Naturally, it gathered the class's attention, making them curious about what was happening.

"I'm sorry, but I'd like to ask everyone to refrain from going home for a moment."

Even Chabashira seemed curious about what Horikita was up to as she stopped on her way out of the room.

"What's the matter, Horikita-san?" Hirata responded, reacting a beat faster than anyone else.

He was, after all, the most sensitive to subtle changes in the class's atmosphere.

"I have something to say about the special exam tomorrow."

"About the special exam?"

"O-oh, look at the time... Well, I already had plans to hang out with Kanji after this, so..."

"Tha... That's right."

Yamauchi and Ike spoke up, emphasizing that they didn't have time to stick around.

"Both of you seem composed. What with making arrangements to play together even though one of you might be expelled tomorrow."

When her eyes met with Yamauchi's, he looked away hurriedly.

"That's because... there's no use, even if we struggle. We've already resolved ourselves for the worst."

"Really? How praiseworthy. But I'm sorry, that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way as you. There's no point in what I'm trying to do here unless the whole class can hear what I say, so would you please be willing to put up with it for a bit?"

"Then what the heck are you gonna say?"

"There's something important I want to tell everyone concerning tomorrow's exam and who will be expelled."

Horikita walked to the front of the room and stood behind the teaching podium.

"About who's being expelled...? What are you getting at?" Yamauchi began talking notably faster than usual.

"I've been thinking a lot this past couple of days. Who should be expelled? Who should stay? How do we come to a proper decision? Earlier today, I managed to find a satisfactory answer to these troublesome questions. So please, allow me to lay it all out for everyone."

"Wait a minute, Horikita-san."

It was Hirata, not Yamauchi, who spoke up to stop her.

"Nobody in this class deserves to be expelled."

"Is that true? Isn't it possible that somebody does, though?"

"S-something like that..."

"I've had serious concerns since we were told about this exam. Even though we need to discuss things with each other and decide who we will expel, the school hasn't given us any class time to do it. As a result, it has become a battle where we form into groups and try to control the outcome of the vote. We're running the risk of expelling an excellent student, even though they shouldn't be considered for expulsion at all. Can we call something like that an exam at all?"

Chabashira was the first to look visibly impressed, shortly followed by Kouenji.

"I haven't the faintest idea what's gotten into you, but you seem to me like an entirely different person. You've gotten right to the heart of the matter, right?"

With a clap of the hands, Kouenji continued to speak, "Let us hear it, then. What do you suggest we do?"

"Originally, I thought we should hold a discussion with everyone in the class and collectively decide on who to expel. But I understand that realistically speaking, that would be difficult. Therefore, allow me to nominate someone I think we should expel."

Hirata interjected, "H-hold on Horikita-san!"

"Sorry, but I'm speaking right now. I'll give a proper explanation for my nomination later."

Staying conscious of how much time she was taking, Horikita pushed the discussion forward.

"No way. I'm against you throwing the class into chaos like this."

Even so, Hirata refused to back down.

"She's at least got the right to speak. We can listen to your objections after she's done," Sudou cut in to stop Hirata from interfering.

"It's as Red Hair-kun says. I've given up some of my valuable time to be here, so I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from wasting it by being a hindrance," Kouenji spoke up in support of hearing Horikita out as well, seemingly interested in the direction the discussion was heading.

"B-but..."

Taking advantage of Hirata's hesitation, Horikita once again opened her mouth.

"For this special exam... I have decided that we should expel Yamauchi Haruki-kun."

Several students had been nominated as targets for censure votes, but until now, it had all been done in secret. Horikita was the first person to nominate a target for public censure. One might wonder why no one else had done the same. 

This is because publicly nominating someone would immediately make the nominee resentful towards the nominator. Moreover, there was a high possibility that if the rest of the class was not convinced, the nominator could become a target themselves.

"W-why me, Horikita!?"

Naturally, Yamauchi was the first person to show any reaction to this.

"There's a clear reason for it. First, your contributions to the class over the past year have been meager."

"T-that's not true! My test scores have been higher than Ken's this whole time!"

"He overtook you last time, though?"

"That... but that was just a one-time thing!!!"

"For argument's sake, let's say your academics are superior to Sudō-kun's. Even then, you're still beneath him regarding physical ability."

So, you decided to get rid of the most useless classmate.

"Then isn't Kanji in the same boat as me!? He's worse than me when it comes to physical fitness!" Yamauchi desperately tried to defend himself.

Anybody would get desperate if they were singled out in front of everyone like this.

"It's true that a handful of students are all on a somewhat similar playing field. I'll give you that much."

"That's right. Nominating me so seriously... Could you please give me a break...?"

"However, you're still a half-step behind compared to the rest. You ended up dead last when I prioritized everyone by considering their behavior during lessons, tardiness and absence history, and strengths and weaknesses. The runner-up was Ike-kun, followed up immediately by Sudō-kun. This is the conclusion I came to yesterday."

"I... I'm a candidate as well!?"

Panicking a bit, Sudou spoke up.

"You've certainly improved in academic ability and critical thinking these past few months, but that doesn't just eliminate all the times you've been a burden to class. Or am I wrong?"

"No, you're right."

With the facts in front of him, Sudou accepted them for what they were.

Ike's expression was heavy, seeming to have also come to terms with it.

"Are you being serious with all this nonsense!? This is pissing me off! Right!? Kanji!? Ken!?"

Yamauchi tried to bring the two Horikita had nominated as other candidates to his side, but neither had the words to refute what Horikita had said.

"Plus, I'm kinda lovable, right? At least when compared to someone like Kouenji. That problem child abandoned the class during several special exams!"

Horikita looked straight at me, "What do you think, Kagurazaka-kun? You were the first to agree with Kouenji-kun."

"Yes, Silent-kun," Kouenji grinned, "I want to hear what you have to say."

I sighed and pulled out my phone, "Kouenji isn't going to improve his narcissistic attitude and stay the same, but he understood the significance of the exam and the discussion being held."

"Kouenji says that he is the perfect being, but he can back it up and be useful." Kouenji let out a fearless smile laced with complacency as he crossed his arms in front of him.

"I'll be blunt with Yamauchi. You're worthless and useless."

"I can't accept this! I just can't anymore!"

"Then, how about I tell you why you were chosen among all other options?"

Horikita pressured Yamauchi, calmly interrupting him in the middle of his fit.

"F-final reason?"

Horikita's unusual aura made Yamauchi momentarily shrink back.

"There should be something you've been feeling guilty about that you haven't been willing to tell anyone. Am I wrong?"

Yamauchi was overwhelmed by Horikita's confident words.

"I don't have anything to feel guilty about..."

"Seeing as you don't feel like saying it yourself, I'll say it for you. To protect yourself, you used Kushida-san as an intermediary to gather support from our classmates to get Ayanokouji-kun expelled. Isn't that right?"

"Hah!?" The classroom descended into an uproar.

Even though over half the class was aware of the vote manipulation, none knew that the true culprit behind it was Yamauchi.

"You were planning to have Ayanokōji-kun expelled...?"

Ayanokouji Group members aside, Hirata was one of the people who were genuinely, visibly shocked to hear that I was being targeted.

Hirata always stayed neutral and thought about the class as a whole, so it made sense that he wasn't willing to accept it.

"Yes. It's an undeniable fact. Isn't that right, everyone?"

Kushida had involved many students in Yamauchi's scheme. Even those who didn't directly interact with her would feel disturbed if they knew what was happening. 

This made Hirata realize that more than half of the class had joined Yamauchi's group.

"Hmm... Everyone seems a lot calmer than I had imagined..."

"Your plan started with a small group of people, and you steadily expanded from there. If you gathered most of the class's censure votes, your target's expulsion would be effectively guaranteed, right?"

"I-I had nothing to do with that!"

Despite claiming otherwise, Yamauchi made no further attempts to defend himself.

"Then who did?"

"I-I don't know, okay!? I... was just told to cast my censure vote for Ayanokōji!"

Lying in desperation like this usually didn't result in things turning out how you wanted.

"If you don't know who started it, then why don't you tell me who told you to cast your censure vote for Ayanokouji-kun instead?"

"That's... uh..."

"You had to have heard it from somebody, right? You won't say you don't know, are you?"

Yamauchi seemed nearly at wit's end as he looked around the classroom.

"Kanji! I heard it from Kanji! Right, dude!?" He proceeded to pin the blame on his best friend.

"What? No! It wasn't me!"

Naturally, Ike denied it.

"Is that true, Ike-kun?"

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no. It wasn't me. I heard it from..."

Ike was, understandably, at a loss for words.

After all, the person who had suggested it to him was none other than Kushida, and he couldn't just sell her out.

"From your silence, I'm sensing that you're incapable of answering. In which case, perhaps you are the mastermind like Yamauchi-kun says?"

"No, no! So, err... Kikyou-chan came to me, asking for help... She said someone was in trouble and needed me to cast my censure vote for Ayanokouji."

This time, Ike passed the blame along to Kushida.

Of course, there was no way Kushida would sit back and let this happen.

She hated being targeted more than anyone else in the room.

"Don't tell me that you're the mastermind, Kushida-san?"

Horikita was determined to trace down each lead until she reached the bottom.

"Of course, she isn't the mastermind. Yamauchi asked for Kushida-san's help because of her influence."

"Kushida-san," Horikita called out to Kushida, "In this class, you hold influence on the same level as Hirata-kun and Karuizawa-san... No, your influence is even stronger than theirs. As such, if you nominate someone as a target, many of your classmates will listen to you."

"Horikita, let her reflect on what has happened here and strive to take actions that will benefit the class from now on."

Kushida isn't ready to take her mask off before her classmates. There's a more significant problem to be dealt with at the moment.

"I agree," Horikita said, "It seems there's no mistaking that the primary offender is Yamauchi-kun."

"W-wait Horikita. I told you it wasn't me..."

"My my, this has been quite an interesting discussion. Isn't it only natural for the boy to try to get somebody else removed from school? Pushing past all the nonsensical formalities, this exam is nothing more than the rabble of the class fighting for their survival. Or, is there any particular reason why only he should be condemned, hmm?" Kouenji made a statement that didn't appear to align with anyone, although it would probably end up working out in Horikita's favor.

"Right, you are. While assembling a group to eliminate somebody else may not be the most praiseworthy thing, it surely doesn't seem fair to blame him for simply trying to survive. Well, that's only if that's all there is to it."

"Oh?"

"Yamauchi-kun. You haven't been trying to expel Ayanokōji-kun to protect yourself, have you?"

"W-wait! I said to wait! I told you it wasn't me!"

"How ugly. Everyone in this classroom fully believes it was, so let's hear it. Why did he target Ayanokouji-boy?" Kouenji asked.

Horikita nodded her head in agreement.

"He, Yamauchi-kun, has been colluding with Sakayanagi-san behind the scenes, taking orders and carrying them out for her."

"That's quite a problematic piece of information, right? Collusion with a student from Class A... How unpleasant."

Kouenji was enjoying himself with this discussion in the first place. He was using Horikita to avoid the risk of being expelled.

"Oi Haruki, have you been colluding with Sakayanagi-chan...?"

Not only was it revealed that he was the mastermind, but also his connection with Class A.

"That's nonsense! There's no evidence!"

"Would you be willing to show me your phone, then? You should have Sakayanagi-san registered in your contacts."

"That's... because we're friends! There's nothing suspicious about me having her registered!"

It wouldn't be suspicious if Arisu and Yamauchi had a friendly relationship. However, Arisu's recent open contact with Yamauchi is fresh in everyone's minds. 

Horikita may have asked Yamauchi about their communication to remind everyone of what happened."

"Do... do you seriously have ties with Sakayanagi-chan?"

Coming from his closest friend, Ike's question felt scornful.

"I-I'm telling you... Why would I join up with Class A!? I'd never betray my friends! This is the first time I've ever heard about this! Come on and give me a break already...!"

At his wit's end, Yamauchi played the victim.

"Wrong. Under her orders, you convinced our classmates to target Ayanokouji-kun. After all, she's much more clever than you are. She gave you clear instructions on how to get Ayanokouji-kun expelled from the school."

"N-no, no, no!"

"Furthermore, there was probably also something that convinced Yamauchi-kun to cooperate with her willingly. Something like an invitation to start dating, perhaps?"

"Agh!"

This seemed to be something Horikita had deduced on her own, and his reaction confirmed it.

"There's no reason for the class to expel someone far superior to you like Ayanokouji-kun because of your stupid, worthless motive. This is the primary reason why I nominate you for expulsion."

Horikita spoke not toward Yamauchi but toward the entirety of the class.

"None of us want to lose one of our classmates," Horikita said, glancing at me.

She gazed at the class, "However, you betrayed your class and conspired with the enemy. You even tried to target one of your very own friends... You are, without a doubt, the most unnecessary student in the class."

"Th-that's..."

"If... Even if we assume what you're saying is true... why am I the only one criticized for it? Trying to protect myself by working with another class is a legitimate form of self-defense, isn't it!? It's not like I want to be expelled!"

"I see. So essentially, you're asking, 'What's wrong with trying to protect myself?' right?"

"Self-preservation is certainly important. However, I don't see much value in someone willing to throw away one of their peers to gain that protection, much less someone who's sold their soul to an enemy."

Horikita wouldn't stand down, no matter how much Yamauchi tried to resist.

"Y-you're just standing up for Ayanokouji because you're on good terms with him!"

"I don't think it was based on any bias. It was a fair assessment made after careful consideration. You and Ayanokouji-kun started at the same level, but the difference is quite evident when we compare your contributions to the class. Besides, your affiliation with Class A leaves no room for further discussion."

"I have no objections to Horikita-girl's proposal. It seems quite desirable to me. We cannot afford to keep someone in our class who may betray us. I wouldn't want to spend time with a student who could potentially harm the class. Hence, I wholeheartedly support her proposal."

With that, Kouenji was the first to support Horikita's proposal.

"Wait! I haven't betrayed anyone! I swear on my life!"

"Oh! Then, why in the world is it Ayanokouji, huh!?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Even if I was somehow taking orders from Sakayanagi-chan, instead of trying to expel someone like Ayanokouji, wouldn't it make more sense for me to target someone more dangerous?"

Arisu... do you Ayanokouji from somewhere...? Why do you want him to be expelled?

"I believe the reason Ayanokouji-kun was chosen for expulsion is because he doesn't stand out much, either positively or negatively. Even if the person who ordered the expulsion wanted a more remarkable student to be expelled, it would not be easy to do so. Therefore, they chose someone who is not easily noticeable, such as Ayanokouji-kun. For Sakayanagi-san, it probably didn't matter who got expelled. She just wanted a spy, a chess piece that she could move as she pleased."

"I'm guessing that some of you aren't too happy about my nomination either. In which case, please feel free to cast your censure vote for me. Please do it if you want to vote for Yamauchi-kun, Ayanokouji-kun, or even anybody else. I just felt that I needed to share my opinion with everyone, which is exactly why I decided to hold this discussion in the first place. Please try to account for this as you make your own decision," Horikita spoke confidently.

However, Sudou chimes in again, "Hold up, Suzune... I think I understand the gist of the situation. I also get that Haruki is the one in the wrong here..."

"But I'm against having Haruki get expelled."

"Well, he is your friend. I'm well aware of how important he is to you."

"He's my friend, so I'm going to protect him. That makes sense. I know it's pretty bad that he went and did what he did with Class A and all, but... we don't have to expel him for that. Isn't it all good as long as he reflects and seriously contributes moving forward?"

"If that were the case, there'd be no need to expel Ayanokouji-kun since he hasn't done anything wrong."

"T-that's-"

"This whole perspective of yours is flawed, Sudou-kun."

"By protecting one person, you're abandoning somebody else. It follows that this exam isn't about sentiment. It's about theory."

Sudou opened his mouth but proceeded to sink into silence.

His desire to help his friend was clear.

But to do that meant that somebody else would have to be expelled instead.

"Sorry, Haruki... I can't do anything for you..." Sudou matured before everyone.

"Looks like it's decided then, Horikita-girl."

Kouenji and the other spectators were ready to hand down their verdict.

"Wait! Wait! Stop!"

Yamauchi began shouting, begging for them to stop.

"It'd be stupid of you to waste your censure votes on me!!!"

"I've already made up my mind. Nobody here deserves to be voted for more than you do."

"Yeah, but! I've already agreed with everyone to vote for Ayanokouji!"

"I made a mistake... I wanted to help Yamauchi-kun... but I didn't realize the gravity of the situation. I'm taking back what I asked of everyone..." Kushida said.

"Wait, wait. What're you saying!? You're breaking your promise!!! How cruel!"

The feeling of being targeted by many of your peers was one he should know better than anyone.

"You are the weakest link in the class and a traitor."

Horikita reiterated her point with both indifference and composure.

"That's everything I wanted to say."

Horikita attempted to end the discussion right there, but someone spoke.

"I want you to hold on for a second, Horikita-san."

"...Is something the matter?"

A male student raised his hand and stood up from his seat.

"Even though I've stayed silent and let you say everything you wanted, I must object to how you're inducing the rest of the class to vote. For comrades to come together to kick somebody out like this... it's just plain wrong," Hirata said.

Hirata's words did not stem from sentiment like Sudou or logic like Horikita. Instead, they came from suffering and resistance, spurred forward by his inability to arrive at an answer.

"There isn't any other way. This exam doesn't have any loopholes. It's unreasonable, but somebody in our class is, without a shadow of a doubt, going to be sacrificed. Don't tell me you still haven't come to terms with this yet?"

"How could I possibly come to terms with it? I... I don't want to lose anyone. It'd be different if somebody wanted to be expelled, but whether it's Yamauchi-kun or Ayanokouji-kun, neither of them do."

"Neither of them want it? You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who wants it. How about I raise a pointless question to the rest of the class? Could I get a show of hands of everyone who feels like they want to be expelled from the school? If you come out now, there won't be any need for this anymore. The rest of us will unanimously cast our censure votes for you and wash our hands of all this."

Not a single person raised their hand. If there were such a convenient student, they would've already announced their candidacy ages ago.

"Do you get it now?"

"No. There's no way I'd accept something so horrible."

"I have faith in my decision to push forward here, regardless of whether you're willing to accept it or not, so let's take a vote. Here and now."

"There's no reason for us to do that. There's no way to guarantee who people will vote for tomorrow."

"That's not true. It's important to keep an eye on the voting trends of our classmates."

"It's pointless. Everyone... everyone's trying to get someone expelled! I can't...!"

Hirata feared that Horikita's actions would cause personal information, like who dislikes who, to be publicly revealed.

"Well then, everyone, let's get on with it."

Horikita disregarded Hirata and once again attempted to take the vote.

Nobody could stop her anymore. It was the moment of truth.

"Horikita-san!"

A loud, unnatural sound echoed throughout the classroom.

Something happened that nobody in the room had even slightly expected.

Hirata had kicked over his desk, sending it flying forward as it toppled to the ground.

"Wha... Uhm, H-Hirata-kun?" I could hear the voice of one of the girls, reeling in utter disbelief.

The situation made me wonder if he had accidentally hit his desk with his foot while getting carried away. The same was true for Chabashira. His behavior was so unbelievable that it was far too unexpected.

"Would you just stop, Horikita-san?"

He lowered his voice as though trying to scare her into backing down.

"...What do you want me to stop?"

Horikita answered with her own question, adjusting her bangs to help hide her outright shock.

"I'm telling you, stop it with this vote."

"You don't have the right..." Hirata's daunting words caused her voice to waver just a little.

That was just how much intensity his voice carried.

"This discussion has been a mistake."

"If so, then what in the world should we be doing? It's not like you have any ideas. You haven't been doing anything this entire time."

"...So what?"

"...So what? I'm saying it's a problem. You haven't been making a proper assessment of the situation."

"Shut up..."

"No, I won't shut up. I-"

"Horikita... just shut your mouth already."

Hirata interrupted her sharply, his words heavier than before. The classroom felt frozen.

"Listen up, everyone."

Hirata's tone had changed as he addressed the class, making him seem different.

"It doesn't matter whether everything said so far is true."

"...It wasn't! She was lying, Hirata! I'm just a victim here!"

I don't think victim is the answer you're looking for.

"Victim?"

"Er..."

Hirata's deep, relentless gaze pierced through Yamauchi.

"After everything said, there's no way you're innocent here."

"That's... I..."

"The fact that you guys are fine with betraying one of your own makes me sick to my stomach."

His anger wasn't just directed toward Yamauchi but the class as a whole.

"It's an exam. We don't have any other choice."

"Either way, it's wrong to manipulate the vote like this."

"The exam is tomorrow. Are you saying we should sit back and not do anything to prepare ourselves? That'd be no different from just silently allowing Yamauchi-kun's betrayal."

"What's wrong with not having a plan? We have no right to judge our classmates."

"What are you even saying...? Isn't that exactly what this special exam is asking of us? Many of us want this."

Horikita was aware of this because she had stood at the podium and felt the stares of her classmates. However, Hirata was not open to accepting this.

"Aren't you the actual problem here?" His low, heavy voice resonated throughout the classroom.

"It's true that this exam is far too heartless and cruel. I'll never be able to accept it. But, even so... if you can somehow get yourself to tolerate it, it's nothing more than just a normal class poll. By no means is it here for you to pit everyone against each other like this."

"That's unrealistic. Behind the scenes, our classmates have been forming a group to discuss how to manipulate the vote results. Ayanokouji-kun was going to take on all of that by himself."

"Yes. That's also deplorable. Regardless, your blatant appeal to the entire class is entirely different."

"It's the same. There's no difference. You should've stopped their plotting yourself if you really wanted to stay true to your hypocritical mindset."

Hirata was on the edge of desperation, and the only person capable of talking it out with him was Horikita.

"Besides, even without taking a vote here, I've already finished explaining everything. Don't you realize this 'normal vote' you wanted is already completely gone?"

"That's right... The die has been cast. You can't take back what's been said."

Hirata took a deep breath before continuing.

He regained a little bit of his composure, but there was no change in his cold attitude.

"That's why I will vote for you tomorrow, Horikita-san. I won't allow you to cause problems for this class again."

Hirata values peace and camaraderie more than anyone, and he is suffering because of it.

"Yes. Do as you want."

Horikita didn't appear dissatisfied. It was as if she encouraged the class to agree with him.

"Is that all, Horikita?"

"Yes."

Horikita yielded to the podium and returned to her seat.

Classes had already been dismissed for the day, and this was no place for a teacher to interfere.

But even so, Chabashira once again stood before her students.

"You all may think this exam is an unreasonable, terrible thing being forced upon you by the school. However, once you enter society, you will encounter a situation where someone has to be cast aside. Upper and senior management have to be willing to bring the hammer down when needed. The students who study at this school are nurtured to become important factors in the future success of Japan. You won't be able to grow if you perceive this exam as a simple means for the school to foster harassment."

In society, individuals who hinder progress are often dismissed to protect the group as a whole. Correspondingly, there may be covert agreements and defamation similar to recent occurrences.

The particular exam we must take is aimed at helping us mature into adults. However, it is unfair to force a group of students who are still immature in both mind and body to make such an important decision. There is a possibility that the exam could hurt the future of the students.

"I'm not going to provide my perspective on your discussion. I believe everybody's participation has been valuable. I hope you all think carefully before you cast your votes tomorrow."

With that, Chabashira left the classroom, having finished listening to the entire discussion.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 588 26
THERE ARE MORE BOOKS, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER THIS VOLUME. READ VOLUME 1 FIRST AND THEN ADVANCE I'm bad at descriptions. The beginning has only started...
7.6K 336 6
Ayanokouji, the freedom-seeking boy has woken up to be confronted by a game. A challenge. A challenge which will sculpt his very life into something...
95.7K 3.5K 57
After his first year at the Advanced Nurturing High School, Fukazawa Yato is about to start his second year as a student. With a better understanding...
8.6K 239 29
Kodo Ikusei High School - is a prestigious school with unrivaled statistics. 100% of graduates from this school go to university or find work. Studen...