Beau Monde βœ…

By Ferdeausee_

Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved. ❝ Everyone lies. I'm not an exception.❞ Nailah Zayed has the picture p... More

author's note + aesthetics +copyright
Chapter 1.
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue

Chapter 25

257 40 4
By Ferdeausee_

Nailah Zayed.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

Hadi Groups is a company that makes an average profit of 25 million dollars a year. This year, we exceeded our limit and made a 50 million dollar profit.

Losing 150 million dollars just like that clearly isn't something that will be handled calmly. That's practically six years worth of profit on an average base, minus this year that is.

My father-in-law's reaction is pretty reasonable, and that includes the fact that he's in the hospital now after suffering a heart attack amidst yelling at us during the meeting. Truth be told, I did anticipated his anger but not the heart attack part. And without so much as giving it a thought, we hastily rushed him to the hospital.

"You should go back to the office and oversee the issue, I will stay with him." I said to Imran, after the doctor had briefed us on the old man's condition. He didn't try to sugarcoat it, he outright told us that it was critical and he will need further tests to confirm it, but it doesn't look good at all.

I could tell Imran was conflicted between staying here with him, and going back to the office to fix the problem at hand. If both of us are here, then there wouldn't be anyone to oversee it all. Especially not with the Chairman out like this.

He looked hesitant, his gaze fixed on the door of his father's room where the doctors are in with him.

"I'll stay here." I added, my voice softening. "You need to take care of that as well." I could go, but I think everyone would prefer it if he goes. And his father is part of that 'everybody'. The old man would get another heart attack and move to the afterlife if he figures out I'll be in charge of the issue.

He doesn't trust me that much. Rightfully so.

I don't mind though. Saves me the stress of it all.

Finally, that seemed to do the trick. He sighed, his shoulders slumping as he nodded. He then shifted his gaze to mine, his hand raising to give my shoulder a slight pat. "Thank you." He mumbled, the words coming out so low I barely caught it.

In response, I offered him a small smile of assurance and watched as he turned around and hastily went away. Now left alone there, a small sigh left my lips as well as I settled on one the waiting chairs there. I've been standing for the past thirty minutes, I definitely need to sit and rest as well.

I'm not sure how long I sat there, but the sound of rushed footsteps approaching gained my attention. Looking up, I wasn't taken aback to see my mother-in-law rushing in my direction; her expression frantic.

On reaching where I am, she made an attempt to go in but was stopped when I hastily got on my feet and stopped her. "Ma, I know this isn't easy for you but you can't go in. They are conducting tests on him. But, they'll be out any minute now."

She whipped her head around to shoot me a glare, her eyes narrowed in slits. Even this dire situation, she has the strength to do such a thing.

Wow.

I sure am the luckiest woman in the world. I have the best in-laws out there that love and care about me the most. You envy me, right?

"Get out of my way." She gritted out, not willing to back down. "Who are you to stop me from seeing my husband?"

I resisted the urge to click my tongue and roll my eyes. See, this is actually my fault for trying to do the doctor's job. I should've allowed her to walk in. If they throw her out, at least it wouldn't be on me.

Seeing as I was yet to respond, she took another step closer to me—wanting to intimidate me it seems. "You know what? Leave this place right now. The last thing we need is your fake sympathy!"

If not that I promised Imran I would stay, I would've honestly left the minute she arrived. She didn't need to try and throw me out like this. It's not like I care like she says. I don't.

It'll surprise you the extent to which I truly don't.

I tried to mask away the fact that I was starting to get annoyed. "I'm here because of Imran--"

"I don't care." She cut me off rudely. "Leave this place before I have you drag you out. What will it be? Do you want me to have you dragged away like the trash that you are?"

I honestly don't have the strength to deal with this. I've gone through enough. "No." I stated simply. "I hope he gets better soon." No longer wanting to stay there and be insulted, or rather, as she puts it, 'dragged away like a trash', I side stepped her and walked away.

I would explain to Imran why I had to leave when I go home. After all, he knows how my relationship with his parents is more than anyone.

He'll understand.

~*~

By the time I went back home, the sun had set and the moon was up. I didn't mean to stay out that long, but things ended in such away and by the time I stepped foot inside that house, I was exhausted.

The past few weeks had surely drained the life out of me. I want nothing more than all of this to come to end. However, I know it will soon. I just have to endure this just a little bit more.

Contrary to how the house normally is, the lights were turned off by the time I got in. It wasn't that dark though. At least, I was able to make my way to the living room where I found the light switch and flicked it on.

The minute the light came on, I took in a sharp breath, my heart jumping behind my ribcage as my gaze fell on the figure seated on the couch. I wasn't expecting anyone to be home, much less not in the dark. So, you can imagine my shock when I saw Imran seated on the couch, sipping whatever was in the tumbler in his hand.

"Imran..." I called out softly, trying to calm my racing heart. His gaze wasn't on me, but rather the tumbler he's now twirling in his hand. However, something told me he was well aware of my presence. "...I didn't see you there."

Reaching my hands down, I took off the heels I had on; my feet immediately making contact with the marble floor. The coldness from it soothed my aching feet, as weird as it sounds. I then made my way towards him, settling on the couch beside him.

I don't think we'd ever sat down together on the a couch like this; at least, not when were aren't in the eyes of other people.

"Where were you?" He mumbled out, still not sparing me a glance.

I blinked, wondering where that question came from. Since when has he been interested in where I go? He had never asked such a question though; despite having all the rights to do so.

It was weird.

"Is there something wrong?"

"When did you leave the hospital?"

"Earlier, after your mom arrived." I answered cautiously, wondering where all these questions are coming from. "You know how she is. She didn't want me there and practically sent me away. I'm sorry I didn't stay after promising you that I would--"

"That wasn't my question, Nailah." He gritted out, his words coming out low as the hold he has around the tumbler tightened. For the first time since I came, he turned around so his eyes could meet mine. His...bloodshot eyes. "Where the hell were you?"

I swallowed thickly, trying to mask away the fact that I was slightly scared. He's acting so different, not like the Imran I know. Still, I decided to give him the answer to his question. "I stopped by to see an acquaintance--"

I couldn't finish my sentence as the tumbler that was in hand was sent flying across the room. On hitting the wall, it crashed with a loud sound that had my heart dropping to the pit of my stomach. My suddenly wide eyes shifted from the now broken glass cup to Imran who was standing, his eyes narrowed at me in slits.

"Do you take me for a fool?" He questioned, his tone menacing. "Do you think I'd be stupid enough to know you didn't go to see that BASTARD AYAAN FADEL?!" He yelled at the top of his lung.

I could swear the blood drained from my face when he said that...not in fear of him knowing I met Ayaan. But, because he looked scary.

And I'm not sure I'm safe around him again.

"ANSWER ME NAILAH!"

I blinked repeatedly, trying to get the words out. "Look, I only went to show my condolence because of his assistant death. I couldn't do that earlier because everything that happened and I felt like it's only right since I was the one that found the man after all." My words came out rushed, because the way he pinned me down with gaze scared the crap out of me.

Imran scoffed, looking away as he chuckled humorlessly. "You really think I'm stupid, huh?" He mumbled so low I barely caught it. Snapping his bloodshot eyes back at me again, I wondered for a brief moment whether he is truly the man I've been married to all these years. "She thinks I'm stupid. She's playing me for a fool, huh? S-she's lying to me. S-she's getting on my f-fucking nerves!" He went on to mutter under his breath as he began to pace around the room, his fingers running through his hair repeatedly.

I could only watch him with wide eyes and trembling chin as he went on to talk to himself; almost as if forgetting I'm right there. However, he sounded extremely furious, and from the way he's acting, it's clear he isn't okay.

I got my feet hesitantly, trying to put a reasonable distance between us for my safety. "I-Imran..." Something's horribly wrong. I watched him quietly as he dropped what he was doing, and rose his eyes to meet mine.

I blew out a shaky breath. "...Imran you're scaring me." My words came out as nothing but a whisper, "What do you mean by I'm trying to fool you? You know I'd never do such a thing--" I suddenly choked on my words, trying to desperately gasp for air as my back collided with the nearest wall.

The air in me was slowly draining out, as his hand around my neck tightened—blocking my airflow.

Tears blurred my eyes, my hand reaching out and desperately trying to claw his hand away from me. No words could leave my lips, not when trying to breath is a struggle now. I felt like my windpipes were about to be crushed, and in actuality, they just might be.

He brought his face so close to me, I could see my reflection in his eyes. I could see through my blurry eyes as I was fighting for my life. "How dare you try to fool me?" He gritted out, his hold around my neck tightening even more if that possible.

Tears streamed down my face, my fingers drawing out blood from his hand as I tried to desperately claw at it. But, I stood no chance. Not when my head has started to pound, and I could barely make sense of what is going on.

"How dare you think of trying to cheat on me, huh?" His words came out low, but threatening. "Do you think I was lying when I said I'm crazy for you, huh? I am so crazy for you that I would do anything to keep you with me, you hear me, Nailah? You cannot dare, not even for a second, think of cheating on me. I'd die before that happen."

His words sounded so distant to me, not when I feel like I'm seconds away from losing my life completely. And I guess, he must've seen that too because his hand suddenly disappeared as he stepped back.

I fell on the floor, gasping for breaths to soothe my burning windpipes. I chocked on a sob, my hand beating the spot where my chest is. It hurts, so much. It hurts to the point that for the first time in a long time, I was truly crying.

Through my blurry eyes, I saw him kneel in front of me before reaching his hand out to tuck away my messy strand behind my ear. I wanted to flinch away from his touch, but I didn't have the strength to do so.

Instead, I was left looking up using the last bit of strength I had to glare at him. I couldn't voice anything out, my throat burned—the feel of his hands around it still there. It will no doubt leave an ugly bruise.

And what did he do?

His lips stretched into a maniacal smile, I wouldn't be surprised if one told me he wasn't in his right mind then. He then dropped a bunch of pictures in front of me, ones that I could only guess he got while I was trying to greedily take in as much air as I can.

Even through my blurry gaze, I could tell that the pictures were of I and Ayaan—from earlier today. There were so much of the that I wondered how someone could stick around just to take so much. Whoever it is, they had gotten exactly what they wanted judging from Imran's reaction.

His hand that pushed the strand of my hair back suddenly grabbed a fistful of it, sending a stinging pain throughout my hair as he pulled it from its root. He then brought my face close to his forcefully, the smile he had on earlier disappearing.

"If I ever see you with him again, I would completely lose my calm, you hear me? I've tried my hardest to behave around you but if you anger me again, Nailah, I promise, I would send you to the same place I sent your sister."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

942 186 9
Life happen to throw us the hardest stone when we least expected. Those we thought would never leave do when we need them the most. But its fine we j...
21.5K 2.2K 70
α€α€»α€…α€Ία€žα€±α€¬ Chanbaekists တို့ရေ❀ မြင်နေရဲ့နဲ့ကို Chanyeollie α€€α€­α€―α€›α€±α€¬αŠ Baekhyuneee ကိုရော α€œα€½α€™α€Ία€Έα€”α€±α€›α€α€¬ α€α€…α€Ία€…α€―α€Άα€α€…α€Ία€šα€±α€¬α€€α€Ία€€α€­α€― α€”α€„α€Ία€·α€”α€„α€Ία€·α€žα€Šα€Ία€Έα€žα€Šα€Ία€Έα€α€»α€…α€Ία€™α€­α€α€²α€·α€‘α€α€« ကျန်တာတ...
531 128 15
What drew him to her in the first place? Was it her innocent sharp eyes or her gentle stature? He wasn't sure but what he knew was that he was dra...
42.4K 619 26
Lillian chambers moved to Birmingham to move away from her abusive ex. She wanted a fresh start and she wanted to find a way to find the old her. Lil...