all too well - Theodore Nott

By Swiftie-tifite

"Just between us, did the love affair maim you, too?" - Taylor Swift The first time Selene Parkinson met Theo... More

synopsis
cast & playlist
epilogue
part I - third year
chapter 2
chapter 3
part 2 - fourth year
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
part 3 - fifth year
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17

chapter 1

296 3 1
By Swiftie-tifite

The sand on the beach of New York scattered Selene's body like stars though they were well hidden by the freckles covering her skin. She heard someone approaching behind her, seagulls calling to one another as the wind whipped around them. She turned her head slightly, watching her father make his way across the sand, his salt and pepper hair blew to the side as he lowered himself next to her.

"It's almost time to go," He said, nudging her shoulder, "Third year! Are you excited?"

Selene laughed a quiet sort of laugh that could almost be mistaken for the crash of the waves as she squinted out at the ocean, watching the raging sea slam into the sand like it had a personal issue with it.

"You don't have to pretend you like magic Dad. Or that you like my school. I know how you feel about it."

He sighed shaking his head and staring out at the water that went on forever with her, "I don't not, not like magic or your school, Selene. I don't like what it did to us. That I have to live in the U.S. while you and your mother live in England but it is a part of you. And I love everything about you, including that."

Selene smiled, "It's not that bad that you live here, I mean I know you don't get to see Mom that much but I get to see you on my breaks. Which is good when you really think about it because that's the only time I would get to see you anyway."

"I guess so," He said, kissing the top of her head, "Now come on, and let's get back to the house before your mother has a fit so that you aren't going to have enough time to get your supplies before the train leaves tomorrow."

They pushed themselves off the sand, brushing it from their clothes, smiling, knowing that they would still find sand on them for weeks after this. They hiked back up the beach towards his apartment, feet sinking into the sand. Selene paused taking one look back over her shoulder at the ocean. Summer is already over.

"Oh, my god, " Cassandra Seawell squealed when she ran down the steps of her house and towards Selene who was standing outside her house, a huge, excited smile resting on her lips as she opened her arms.

She lunged herself at Selene hugging her tight, almost knocking them over in her excitement. Selene laughed and hugged back, squeezing her eyes tight, and taking in the familiar feelings of her best friend's hugs.

"Where's Annie?" She asked pushing back to look at her friend and her jaw dropped immediately.

"Your hair, Cas," She gasped, smiling as she admired her friend's hair, "It looks so good. The best decision you ever made."

Cas beamed and tossed her long braid over her shoulder, "It took my mom forever to be convinced. She barely agreed."

"I'm so happy she did," Selene gasped admiring the gold thread-like material that was weaved through some of the braids.

They turned and started walking down the street, a soft breeze flowing through their hair. Muggles rushed by, either on their way to work or just in a hurry to be somewhere. Some were talking to each other, different conversations fading in and out. One lady pushed a stroller past, a fat baby strapped in who looked up at Selene with bright blue eyes, a bit of spit hanging from their mouth.

"So where is Annie?" Selene asked again, turning in a circle as they walked hoping the third member of their trio would suddenly pop up.

"She was running behind as usual so she is meeting us at the Leaky Cauldron."

Selene rolled her eyes, "Of course, she's always running late."

But Selene did not mind. Annie could take as long as she wanted with everything that happened last year.

Annie is a Hufflepuff muggle-born who one day last year was walking back to her common room when she got petrified by the Basilisk. Selene and Cas had been devastated. Selene hardly left the Hospital Wing, hoping that she would eventually wake up. She had skipped classes, falling behind in her schoolwork just to sit there and stare at her best friend's still body, face frozen in fear.

Selene stared at the book in the cage, her mouth hanging slightly open. She turned to the distressed clerk behind the counter who was nervously wringing his hands while his hair stood up on end and glasses sat lopsided on his nose.

"That's the book?"

"Do you need one?" He asked, begging with his eyes that she said no.

She gave him a sympathetic smile, "Yeah."

"Better make that two," came a soft voice behind Selene. She spun around to see Annie. Her blonde hair was a mess, bangs were pushed to the sides of her beaming face. Selene was the one to lunge this time, pulling her best friend close. She hugged her so tight that she wasn't sure how Annie could still breathe.

"Why are you always so late?" Selene joked, finally letting go and staring at her friend's face which was so full of life now that it was hard to imagine there was a time it was not.

Annie took a step back and ran a hand through her hair, smiling. Annie had a slight gap in her teeth on the right side barely noticeable because It was almost always hidden unless she smiled wide enough. This was one of those times.

"My mom wanted to take a lot of pictures plus I slept in so it kind of delayed the whole process," She shrugged, her smile still huge.

"My dad took photos too before I left," Selene groaned, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Ah yes, how were the Americans?"

"It was okay," Selene said, smiling at the thought of the hot days when she and her mother would spend the entire day at the beach, lounging in the sun, splashing water on each other.

"How come you always come back sounding even more American?" Annie smiled teasingly.

"I know right?" Cas said, rounding a bookshelf, carrying a stack of books precariously, "I'm afraid we may have lost her."

"Please," Selene said, paying for the snapping book that was belted on the counter, slightly shaking. She glanced at the Clerk who looked even more disheveled after his most recent encounter with the book, "I still have a British accent."

"No," Cas said while Annie shook her head in mock sadness, "It is a mix of American and British. Some words you say sound normal and others sound American. But don't worry, it's charming."

Selene smiled and shook her head at her friends who were horrible liars, "I have to pick up my mother's broom from the repair shop. You two go get us seats at the Leaky Cauldron."

"I'm here to pick up a broom, it is under my mother's name, Leila Parkinson."

The worker behind the counter was old, with a large head of curly white hair and big wired-rim glasses. He slowly blinked at her before flipping papers and muttering her mother's name over and over.

"Ah." He said, finding her mother's name and tapping it with his finger "I'll go get it, ma'am."

"Thank you," Selene said, pulling out her drawstring bag made out of a rough fabric that held her money. She began counting the coins out on the counter, the clink of the coins hitting the counter creating a steady rhythm.

"Ms. Parkinson, what a lovely surprise."

Selene's hand froze. She knew that voice. She hated that voice. Trying to keep her face neutral, she slowly turned around to meet the cold blue eyes of Elias Nott. A shiver went through Selene's body but she forced a smile onto her lips. Her eyes flickered down to Theodore Nott but he was not looking at her, choosing instead to intently stare at the different brooms hanging on the wall.

"Are you trying out for Quidditch?" Mr. Nott asked, drawing her eyes away from Theodore and back to him.

"Oh no. It is my mom's broom," Seleene said, looking around for the old man who was nowhere in sight.

"Theodore is," Mr. Nott continued not caring about her answer, "He is trying out for Beater"

"Oh really?" Selene said fighting back a smile "I'm sure he has a lot of practice beating."

Theodore's eyes snapped down to meet hers, then narrowed. He opened his mouth to say something but the old man was back like a savior from heaven, carrying her carefully wrapped broom.

"Thank you," She smiled, sliding the money across the counter.

She turned and walked out the door nodding goodbye at the Notts. Once outside the door, she shivered again. Not because of the air but because of the man in that shop. Mr. Nott was one of those people who seemed polite to you in a mocking way. In a way that made you feel lesser than him because he was nice. It was all fake though. Every smile he flashed, every 'nice to meet you' and 'have a good day' he said. Selene knew what he was capable of.

She rubbed the left side of her stomach with her hand, feeling the scars beneath her shirt as she pushed into the Leaky Cauldron and saw a sea of red hair. The Weasleys sat around a table along with HermioneGranger and Harry Potter. Looking away from their table, she scanned the room for her friends.

An arm looped through Selenes and she looked over to see Cas, "Come on El, the table is over here. Annie saw a group of friends from her summer Herbology program so she left with them but she will be back later."

"Okay," Selene said as Cas dragged her to their table that was loaded with shopping bags. Sliding into a chair at the table and letting her supply bags and broom fall to the floor with a thud, she heaved a sigh of relief, "Are we all sharing a room here tonight and going to the station together tomorrow?"

"Yeah, it sounds good to me," Cas said sliding a plate of food over to Selene.

They sat for a few minutes eating in silence but not awkward silence. Happy silence that feels natural. There was a loud shout from the Weasley table and Selene glanced over at them.

"Oh my gosh!" Selene said, mouth full and her words mushing together as a thought suddenly pushed into her head.

"Don't talk with your mouth full dear," Cas said, taking a sip of Butterbeer.

Once there was no more food in her mouth, Selene gave Cas a disbelieving look, "All summer, all of our letters included one topic and one topic only and now you haven't mentioned it once. I forgot about it because we had so many other things to tell each other but don't think you're getting away with it this easily."

Cas groaned, wiping her mouth, "I thought you forgot."

"Forgot?" Selene asked incredulously, "Forgot? How could I forget?"

"Lower your voice, woman," She said looking around to make sure no one heard.

Selene rolled her eyes but lowered her voice anyway, "How are things with you and Cho?"

Cas took a sip of water taking time to respond, "It did not end great."

"Aw, Cas why? What happened?" She reached across the table and took Cas's hand.

"She just said she did not want to hang out anymore," Her voice was steady but when you have known a friend as long as Selene has known Cas you can tell when they are hurt.

"She does not deserve you," Selene said, throwing her hands up in the air, "I have always said it."

"No, you have not," Cas laughed, some of the hurt draining from her eyes, "I have letter proof of you saying how perfect we would be together."

"Was not me," Selene shrugged, taking a sip of water, "Someone stole my letters."

Something on the wall by their table caught her eye. It was a Wanted poster with Sirius Black's face on it. He was glaring at them through the photo, silently screaming.

Cas followed her eyes and sighed, "I hope they find him. I wanted to have a normal year this year."

"We go to school with Harry fucking Potter. I don't think we will ever have a normal year."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.4K 1.2K 37
"love is heavy and light, bright and dark, hot and cold, sick and healthy, asleep and awake - its everything except what it is" theodore not x fem...
9.4K 208 20
Λ™βŠΉ ੈ✰[ SWEETEST OBLIVION ]✰ ΰ©ˆβŠΉΛ™ ───── a theodore nott jr fanfic ˚ ༘ ✰ β‹†ο½‘Λš| there was something about him that was missing. he couldn't say what but...
44.4K 606 52
"I told you. I'm here for the girl, not you. All you have to do is hand her over" the smile on the man's face only grew, causing the aura around the...
333K 9.5K 39
'We'll 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐩𝐒𝐧, the pieces of our broken hearts back together' "I have to brew a difficult potion with him for months. And guess who my p...