A Couple of Trials (ZeLink)

By Kenlair

Book 2: The Couple Series **Slightly More Mature** After having defeated the Calamity and reliving the hars... More

Chapter 1: Another Morning, Another Nightmare
Chapter 2: The Inessential Princess
Chapter 3: An Uneasy Restlessness
Chapter 4: Late Night Insecurities
Chapter 5: Meeting with the Mayor
Chapter 6: Weighing Options
Chapter 7: A Task from Purah
Chapter 8: A Potential Job Offer
Chapter 9: A Little Chat with Prima
Chapter 10: Shopping Day
Chapter 11: First Day on the Job
Chapter 12: A Simple Test Ride
Chapter 13: Resting Unassured
Chapter 14: A Dirty Job Well Done
Chapter 15: A Twisted Confrontation
Chapter 16: The Balancing Act
Chapter 17: Late Night Practice
Chapter 18: The Weekly Drunken Splurge
Chapter 19: Wallowing in Humiliation
Chapter 20: The Second Serving
Chapter 21: An Irrational Concern
Chapter 22: The Great Snowball Fight
Chapter 23: Cracks in the Façade
Chapter 24: The Age of Burning Fields
Chapter 25: A Passionate Traveler
Chapter 26: The Alluring Maid
Chapter 27: The Sick Princess
Chapter 28: A Familiar Face
Chapter 29: The Altercation
Chapter 30: So Close
Chapter 31: A Stubborn Realization
Chapter 32: Celebration Preparation
Chapter 33: Misguided Jealousy
Chapter 34: Old Habits
Chapter 35: The Drunk Knight
Chapter 36: The Freezing Point
Chapter 37: Snowed In
Chapter 38: A Challenging Toast
Chapter 39: A Stinging Realization
Chapter 40: The Manifestation of Anxiety
Chapter 41: The Royal Beating
Chapter 42: Tainting the Snow with Red
Chapter 43: The Homestead Struggle
Chapter 44: Dire Moments
Chapter 45: Being Better
Chapter 46: The Thread of Life
Chapter 47: Betting on Hope
Chapter 48: Cotera's Blessing
Chapter 49: Making Amends
Chapter 50: Coming to Terms
Chapter 51: The Desire to Heal
Chapter 52: Finding Enjoyment
Chapter 53: Mending Connections
Chapter 54: Two Decisions, One Goal
Chapter 55: Personal Journeys Begin
Chapter 56: An Advisor's Heartening
Chapter 57: A Prince's Responsibilities
Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko
Chapter 59: The Absence of Anxiety
Chapter 60: Welcome to Lurelin
Chapter 61: A Hot Springs Healing
Chapter 62: The Council's Judgment
Chapter 63: The Precious Ceremony
Chapter 64: A Wish of Luck
Chapter 65: The Trial of the Sword
Chapter 66: An Evening Serenade
Chapter 67: Dealing with the Financial Elite
Chapter 68: An Unrequited Adoration
Chapter 69: The Misty Castle
Chapter 70: The Teachings of Twilight
Chapter 71: The Rumor Mill
Chapter 72: Royal Formalities
Chapter 73: Truth of the Matter
Chapter 74: The Perch of Tabantha
Chapter 76: Ruins From a Time Before

Chapter 75: The Feathered Bard

842 17 32
By Kenlair

The ear-piercing screech of the Divine Beast echoed through the mountains of Hebra, the vibrations powerful enough to cause the snow to fall from the needles of the nearby evergreens. The continual shriek was difficult enough for the inhabitants of the mountains to bear, yet for the lone Rito within the chasm, it served as a reminder: the residents of his village had a much harder time than he, for the raucous beast was flying above their heads at this very moment. He had already taken the winged beast on once, but it only resulted in the injury of his partner. Now, it was up to him—one of the last Rito warriors.

Sitting on the deck of the range constructed for the Rito Champion of a century past with the ceaseless updrafts from the chasm blowing through his feathers, the warrior tuned his bow in preparation for his rematch against the Divine Beast, ready to give his all. He had been so focused that he barely heard the steps of someone walking behind him.

"Are you Teba?" a soft but confident voice suddenly spoke.

"Yeah...?" the Rito replied.

For the first time since he started his tuning, he looked up from his bow and glanced back at the one who stepped into his view. He was a simple Hylian, much shorter and skinnier than average, wearing one of the Rito-made Snowquill tunics Teba's village specialized in making for their rare tourists. This detail alone told the warrior all he needed to know—this Hylian was sent to try and stop him. Frowning, he turned back to his bow.

"I don't know you, and I'm pretty busy here," he said coldly, plucking his bowstring to test its tension. "You should probably go."

"I'm sorry to say it, but I can't do that," the Hylian said, stepping out onto the balcony from the snow-covered hut he had come through. At this, Teba huffed.

"Saki sent you, didn't she?" he asked gruffly.

"Both she and your elder," the Hylian replied. "I hear you're planning to take on the Divine Beast Vah Medoh yourself."

"I see. Well, I'm sorry to say, but you've wasted your time," the Rito warrior answered. "Someone has to stop Medoh before it destroys my village. As a warrior of the Rito, it's my responsibility. Champion Revali would've done the same. Now, if you'll excuse me, I suggest you leave–!"

"I never said I came to stop you," the Hylian cut in. "I came to help you."

"Help me?" Teba repeated. "With what exactly?"

"Vah Medoh...?" the Hylian answered, sounding a bit confused about what the misunderstanding was.

The Rito warrior stared at him for a moment before narrowing his sharp, yellow eyes.

"Let me get this straight," he demanded, lowering his bow into his lap. "Some random Hylian wants to help me bring down Divine Beast Vah Medoh, the beast with immeasurable power once piloted by the Great Champion Revali...just because? Yeah, I'm not buying it."

"Well, when you put it that way..." the Hylian began. At this, the Rito scoffed and turned back to his bow before the Hylian spoke again. "It's amazing you plan to fight something so powerful and come back alive. That's what I'm not buying."

At this, Teba paused before lowering his bow again.

"What's your name, stranger?" he asked.

"Link," the Hylian replied.

"Well, Link, I'm Teba, but you already know that," the Rito said. "Be straight with me. The elder and my wife. They asked you to talk some sense into me. Am I right?"

"That's right. I did say they sent me," Link said.

"Just like the elder to trust any fool wandering into town..." Teba murmured, clucking his tongue before turning back to Link. "Look, you seem like an all-right guy, but let's make one thing clear: I'm not going anywhere. As a Rito warrior, I can't rest until my people are safe. There is only one way I'm going back to Rito Village, and that's once Medoh falls from the sky. If I have to kill Medoh...so be it. Only then will I return to the village."

"Okay. Then let's get started," Link said simply.

"Are you serious?" Teba asked, now turning his whole torso to stare at his Hylian guest.

"I told you when I got here that I didn't come to stop you," Link said, his face unreadable. "I came to help you."

"You seriously intend to take on Vah Medoh with me? You really want to fight that?" Teba asked. Upon staring into Link's bright blue, overwhelmingly confident eyes (and noticing the weapons on the Hylian's back), he laughed. "Well, far be it from me to talk you off the ledge."

"It wouldn't have worked," Link said, stepping forward to stand next to the sitting Rito. "It's not like I was going to change your mind, so there's no way it would've worked on me."

"You know, it won't be as easy," Teba said sternly. "I mean it when I say the beast has amazing power. The only way to stop a Divine Beast is from the inside, but as things stand, there's a slim chance of that happening."

"Actually, I might have that chance," Link said, to which Teba laughed again, this time far more sarcastically.

"So, not only are you wingless, but you're brainless too," he said. "Let me fill you in—the only people able to enter the Divine Beasts are the five champions of old, and unfortunately for us and the rest of Hyrule, they all died a hundred years ago. If it hadn't been for Ganon..."

Furrowing his brow, Teba looked down at his bow before sighing.

"Nevermind. Even if you had some magical way of entering Medoh, let's focus on bringing it down... One step at a time," he decided. "If we approach Medoh recklessly, its cannons will blast us out of the sky before we can even get close. They're protected by shields–"

"So we just need to take down the shields and the cannons," Link finished, speaking matter-of-factly.

"While I appreciate the confidence, each time you open your mouth, you sound like an empty-headed fool who doesn't realize he's knocking on death's door," Teba said. "If you believe yourself so talented, put it to the test. You see those targets out there?"

Pointing a feathered finger, he gestured toward the chasm in front of them, ceaselessly emitting some of the strongest winds in Hyrule. Mounted on the walls of the chasm were blue-painted targets.

"Hit five of those in three minutes, and then I'll take you seriously," he said. "That shouldn't be too hard for a seasoned warrior like yourself."

"It's not," Link said, stepping forward confidently.

"Lunatic," he murmured, as he shook his head. Watching as Link stepped toward the edge of the platform where they stood, he shouted, "You don't even have wings! You're going to fall to your death, you–"

The Hylian jumped from the platform, his arms and legs outstretched as he dived into the chasm below.

"That damned Hylian–!" Teba shouted, dropping his bow as he quickly stood, ready to fly down after the falling Hylian. Yet in a blur, he watched as that same Hylian flew into the sky. Where he'd pulled a giant paraglider from, Teba didn't know.

In just a fraction of a second, arrows and shattered targets flew through the air, lifted by the air current below them.

"I... I didn't even see him pull out his bow..." he murmured, watching as Link glided around the chasm. In a matter of seconds, the targets had all been destroyed. Surprised, the Rito watched as Link landed on the deck next to him.

Dumbfounded, Teba said, "You're...a skilled archer. It was as if time stopped with every arrow you let fly."

"A lot of the time, that's what it feels like," Link said, holding the handle of the paraglider in one hand as he reached down for a rectangular piece of stone on his belt. Teba looked on in awe as the stone brightened, and soon, the paraglider in his hand vanished in a flash of light.

While this action alone raised many questions, the only thing Teba was concerned about was the warrior's skill. The other questions could wait.

"I've got to tell you, Link..." Teba said, "When you first showed up, I thought someone was pulling a prank on me, but after seeing you handle that bow, I can tell you're the real deal. You must have seen a battle or two."

"I've seen...more than you would think," Link said, to which Teba chuckled.

"No need to be modest with me. I can tell you've seen many with just your skill alone," he said. "Link... You know, I feel I've heard the name somewhere before..."

Before he could finish his thought, another screech of the Divine Beast rattled the building, causing both to lose their balance slightly. Looking up at the sky, Teba's brow furrowed.

"Well, that doesn't matter now. If you are set on helping me bring Medoh down, it's now or never," he said. "But, there's one more thing I need to know, and that's why. Why are you so bent on helping me take down something like a Divine Beast?"

"Why...?" Link repeated. After a moment of thought, he looked up at the sky himself. "There's...someone I need to rescue, and... Well, just know that this will help."

"To save someone, huh? I'm not sure how this will help, but as long as you're helping me bring the Divine Beast down, your motivation is fine by me," Teba said. "Right. Get on, and let's go. We have a job to do."

Lowering himself down, he allowed the Hylian to climb onto his back.

"Tell me one last thing," Teba said, waiting to take off as Link climbed onto him, gripping his shoulders so as not to fall. "What's the name of the person you're trying to save?"

"Her name?" Link asked. After a moment's hesitation, he answered. "Zelda."

"Zelda? But that's the name of the princess who Revali served a hundred years ago at Hyrule Castle before Ganon's arrival," Teba said. "Hm. I don't know what she has to do with this, but whatever. Are you secure?"

"I am. Let's go," Link answered, his voice far more stolid than before.

Understanding that tone well, Teba nodded before picking himself up. Dashing forward, he jumped off the platform, allowing the winds of the chasm to fill his wings. With a few powerful flaps, Teba and Link flew higher into the air, ready to take on the Divine Beast awaiting them in the skies above.

Link awakened to the calm, echoing ambiance of water sloshing against the walls of the room. Opening his groggy eyes, he looked up and through the canopy of leaves above him, staring at the glowing ceiling. With a groan, he pushed his body up from the grass he'd been sleeping on, rubbing his eyes before looking around the room. Open chests, the scattered remains of wooden boxes, and a cooking pot beneath the tree next to him. He was still on the little island surrounded by water, but for how long, he didn't know.

It has to have been a few days... Link thought as he stretched his sore arms out. It's hard to tell when it's always bright like this, but I've fallen asleep a few times now.

Taking a deep breath while still sitting in the grass, he looked down at his arms, removing his leather gloves before rolling his sleeves up to reveal a multitude of bruises and burns, most notably on the palms of his hands.

The swelling's gone down. That's a good sign, he thought, repeatedly balling his hand into a fist before stretching his fingers out again. Burning myself only to then be electrocuted made this worse. Still, I can't stay here forever.

Turning his head, he looked back at the water near the edge of the plot of land he was on. Previously, there had been schools of fish, but now there wasn't a single one to be seen.

This is the best I'm gonna be for a while, so I might as well get moving, Link thought, rolling his sleeves back down.

After replacing the gloves, he picked himself up from the grass. Collecting what little gear remained from the preceding floors and the new sword from the chests gifted to him (a wooden one he knew to be korok-made), he fastened his belts and adjusted his hair tie before looking up at the platform that would take him away, situated at the top of a very short staircase. Knowing whatever floor he was about to be transported to would be full of dangers, he looked back at the peaceful room he'd been recuperating in for the past few days.

I'm almost tempted to try and cook the bark from the trees, he thought. It couldn't be much different from eating a rock roast. It'd just be wood instead of rocks...

Figuring he wasn't that desperate—at least not yet—he turned and stepped up the stairs, stopping when he was in the center of the platform. The platform began to glow a bright blue, illuminating the room around him, and as he closed his eyes, he could feel his body beginning to dissipate. He felt the familiar strangeness for only a second before he knew his body had re-formed. Opening his eyes, he hadn't known what to expect, yet what he saw somehow still wasn't what he thought he'd see.

It was a basic, empty room, still obviously Ancient Sheikah-inspired, but nothing too special about it. The room's most notable feature was the shallow layer of water covering the floor; yet to Link, this seemed like a good thing compared to previous floors. Still, he kept his guard up, knowing full well this was far too good to be true. Stepping off the platform, he raised his hand and grabbed the handle of his finely-sanded wooden sword, drawing its blade.

As the cold water covered his feet, the floor began to vibrate, rippling the water far more than Link's footsteps did. Suddenly, small machines appeared, water running down their dome-shaped heads in rivulets as they pushed themselves up on their spidery legs. Instantly, the hero furrowed his brow.

Guardian scouts, Link thought. Looks like they're being sent right to me this time.

The moment the thought had come to mind, all the little guardians turned, each one aiming a single blue eye at his chest. In unison, the guardians fired their lasers, and while theirs were far less powerful than their larger counterparts, they were still dangerous. Quickly stepping out of the way, the lasers whizzed past Link's body, their heat warming his torso as they passed. As the guardians' lasers slammed against the wall, causing the room to shake, Link dashed forward, water splashing against his soles.

The guardians continued their volley of attacks, crawling erratically across the water-covered floor as they tried to aim for the sprinting hero. A few more lasers shot past him before Link found himself facing one of the scouts at point-blank range. In the seconds it took for the guardian scout to charge up, its eye filling with compacting energy, Link shoved the tip of the wooden blade into its ocular socket. The concentrated energy burst, blowing the scout to pieces that flew across the room. As gears and screws splashed across the floor, Link had already begun his dash again, dodging the next barrage of attacks.

This wooden sword won't last long against these guys, he thought to himself as he closed in on the next machine. Raising his sword, he slashed at one of the machine's legs, separating it from the body. Giving me a wooden sword was intentional, and if this is anything like the last set of floors, then I've got nothing but these guys to fight during these next few floors...

With a twist of his body, skillfully dodging another set of lasers, he struck the squirming machine, causing it to explode as well. Furrowing his brow, he spun to focus on the remaining few guardian scouts in the room, all charging their eyes, preparing to try and shoot him down again.

Well... It looks like I'll just have to get creative.

*    *    *    *    *

"Would you look at that?" Celessa cried out in awe as she and her two companions walked across the rope bridges toward the village spiraling around the tall rock formation of the largest island in the archipelago on Lake Totori. "And look at that Divine Beast! It's huge– Ah!"

With a shrill whistle, a gust of wind buffeted them, slightly rocking the bridge they were crossing. While Paya nervously gripped the ropes of the bridge, Celessa wrapped her arms around her torso and shivered.

"Ugh, the cold I could have lived without..."

"For someone who's traveled around visiting springs in the mountains, you sure do hate the cold," Traysi said nonchalantly. "One would assume you'd be used to it by now."

"Dealing with the cold and liking it are two very different things," Celessa groaned as they continued their trek along the bridge. "Besides, it's hard not to miss the warmth of Gerudo Desert having only been there a few days ago... Brrrrr–"

Again, the bridge swayed, causing both Celessa and Paya to tread even more carefully to ensure they wouldn't stumble and fall. Traysi, however, rolled her eyes and continued her walk along the bridge with ease.

"Maybe instead of the cold, you should focus on not falling into the canyon. Who knows if one of the Rito flying around will be able to catch you this time?" she teased.

With her cheeks flushing, Celessa furrowed her brow. 

"That was a low blow," she said as the bridge swayed again. "But, you're not entirely wrong..."

Hurrying, the three made their way across the bridges without anyone falling. With a relieved Celessa and Paya once again standing on solid rock, the brown-feathered Rito standing guard at the village entrance greeted them.

"Looks like we have another flock of Hylian travelers," the Rito said, his feathered spear at ease in his hand. "Tell me, does the sight of Vah Medoh bring you here?"

"We're actually here on...official business," Celessa said. "We're with Princess Zelda and...Teba?"

"Princess Zelda? Isn't that the princess from a hundred years ago?" the Rito asked, bringing a feathered finger to the underside of his beak. Though Traysi gave Celessa a look at this reaction, Celessa had come prepared for just such a question.

"She's Link's friend, with the golden hair," she said confidently. At this, the Rito's eyes filled with recognition.

"Link's lady friend!" he said knowingly. "Yes, I remember her. I believe she was with him a few months ago when Link took over my watch for the dragon Dinraal. I didn't realize she was friends with Teba as well. I thought I saw someone other than Tulin on his back when he flew by earlier."

"The great dragon, Dinraal, was flying through here? I heard rumors about a dragon causing some commotion a little while back," Traysi said, pulling out her notebook and writing implement. "Did anything happen? Anything interesting?"

"Nothing to tell. It got a little closer than it usually does those few weeks, but after some time watching, it was clear the canyons just happened to be relaxing glides for it," the Rito said. "Unless Link and that lady friend of his saw something, the dragon was simply an amazing sight. Though, I wish I didn't have to stand out there so much, especially in the evenings. I'm grateful to Link for taking a watch for me that day. My feathers appreciated a full night to unruffle."

"Well, that's boring..." Traysi mumbled, disappointedly putting her notebook back into her waist pouch.

"Well, don't let me keep you. I'm sure you'll find Teba and your friend inside," the Rito said, holding a wing out toward the wooden set of stairs leading up to the spiraling village. "Enjoy your visit, and make sure to check out all the shops!"

Thanking the Rito guard, the three headed up the staircases, pausing at the goddess statue stationed at the bottom to offer small prayers, then continuing along the curved, wooden ramps of Rito Village.

"This place is beautiful..." Paya marveled aloud, looking around at the beautifully built wooden huts and angular lanterns surrounding them.

"Isn't it? Look at all these spruce trees! And look at the little windmills!" Celessa said, pointing toward a group of tiny windmills sitting beyond the ramp's wooden rails. "What do you think they use them for?"

"They help the Rito read the wind," Traysi said simply. "That's why there are so many and why they face different directions. The Rito need the wind to fly."

"Right, only Champion Revali could make his own gales. The princess told me about his talents," Celessa said.

"S-s-so the Rito can't fly on their own?" Paya asked as they strolled up another winding flight of stairs.

"They can, just...only when they're already in the air," Celessa said. "Getting off the ground is the hard part for them– Look, they have little balconies they can jump off!"

Looking toward where Celessa was pointing, Paya's eyes widened in wonder at the sight of the group of Rito running along the wooden platform before jumping off, spreading their colorful wings wide as they glided through the air. While the pilgrim and Sheikah watched on, the reporter simply crossed her arms, staring not at the Rito but at them.

"You'd think you two had never seen a Rito fly before," she snarked. "Which is funny since we had that Teba guy carrying the 'princess' over our heads earlier this morning."

"You know, you're really taking the fun out of this," Celessa said, furrowing her brow to look back at Traysi. "Come on, how often have you been in a place like Rito Village? It's beautiful here!"

"It is, I'm not denying that," Traysi replied. "In fact, this is one of my favorite places to be, but you don't see me gawking at the Rito taking flight. It's a normal thing for them."

"It's not the flight that's interesting; it's the balconies they made! Isn't that clever–? You know what, whatever," Celessa sighed. "Come on, we have to find the inn and check in so we can meet up with the princess."

"It should be right around the bend here. It's one of the first real buildings... Look, there it is," Traysi pointed out, leaning over the railing to see past the rocky wall of the stone perch. With a nod, she motioned for the other two to follow her to the upcoming wooden hut.

This hut was larger than any others they'd seen along their way into the village. It was circular, open to the air as it didn't have any walls, containing only a floor covered in a simple carpet and a pointed roof held up by the strong wooden beams. These beams were decorated with lanterns and triangular fabrics, which perfectly matched the sheets on the beds and lined the safety railing around the perimeter of the building.

Near the back center of the inn, there was a check-in desk where a purple-feathered Rito woman stood, currently talking to a Hylian with golden hair.

"Princess!" Celessa said as the three walked inside. "I didn't expect you to beat us here."

"Neither did I if I'm being honest," Zelda answered without looking back at them, her ears twitching as she recognized Celessa's voice. After writing their names in the inn's sign-in journal, she handed a few rupees to the feathered clerk before turning away from the desk to greet her companions. "My conversation with Kaneli went a little quicker than I expected."

"In a good way?" Celessa asked.

"Did he accept you to be the princess?" Traysi asked, eyeing Zelda curiously. "I'd be quite surprised if that old owl believed such a thing..."

"He...accepted me having royal blood..." Zelda said, yet the reporter's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Therefore, he wants to participate in reconstruction–"

"But he doesn't believe you to be the princess from a century ago, does he?" Traysi cut in. "I know an evasive answer when I hear one."

"What's the problem? He agreed to join reconstruction, didn't he?" Celessa asked. "Shouldn't that be the end of it? If anything, that's a record time in getting the leader's support so far–"

"Zelda here is asking me to publish a story that states she's the princess from one hundred years ago," Traysi said, keeping her narrowed eyes on Zelda. "The very same princess that fought the Calamity and somehow survived to this day looking exactly the same, something she still hasn't properly proven to me. Besides, let's say I already believed it; having even one leader of Hyrule's races doubt your claim makes it harder to accept. Having a few random people not believe it is one thing, but having a regional leader not believe it is another."

"That's..." Celessa tried to argue, yet her voice failed her. Traysi's words were true.

"Look, with all the details you've given me on our journey here, I'm open to believing your story and who you say you are, especially once I meet those in Lurelin Village," the reporter said to Zelda, "but if you want this story to succeed in proving to the people in this era that what you say is true, you need all the leaders to believe it, too. Otherwise, this isn't going to get far."

"I...understand," Zelda answered dejectedly. Nodding, Traysi looked toward the counter.

"Did you already rent our beds?" she asked, to which Zelda nodded. "Then I'll be getting settled in. If you're going to meet with Kaneli later, tell me so I can take notes. We're no longer in Gerudo Town, meaning my note-taking is fair game."

Adjusting the backpack she had on, she walked away to choose a bed, leaving Zelda and her two other companions at the counter.

"Okay, that isn't so bad," Celessa spoke up. "We convinced the Goron boss that you were the true princess, right? This...owl guy can't be much harder than him."

"Actually, it'll be the opposite of that. In fact... I'm not sure we'll be able to convince him," Zelda replied, shaking her head at the pilgrim's statement. "Kaneli truly believes I'm simply a descendant of the Royal family, not the actual princess. He doesn't even believe Link is the actual hero, only a descendant as well."

"Then... What now?" Celessa asked. "Do we just...try and convince Traysi to write the story anyway? I'm sure she'll accept who you are after meeting the Zora, so–"

"Her belief isn't the problem, Celessa. You heard her," Zelda cut in. "If I'm being honest, I think she knows I'm the princess. It's not what she believes that's the problem; it's what others in Hyrule will see. It's just a theory, but if they hear that one of the leaders doubts my claim, it'll make them doubt too. To make it worse, it'll look like I'm putting on a charade to claim the throne..."

"Just like the gossip mongers in Hateno," Celessa said.

"Worse. At least those women actually believe me to be the princess," Zelda said.

"Okay... So, what do we do?" the pilgrim asked.

"I need you to keep Traysi occupied. Make sure she doesn't find her way to Kaneli," the princess responded after a few seconds.

"What?" Celessa asked in surprise. "You want us to keep her here? The person who was so desperate for a story she'd sneak into a palace, get thrown out by a very intimidating Gerudo, and still try and get back in?"

"That's exactly what I want you to do," Zelda confirmed without batting an eye. "As much as she's rooting for us—in her own way—she can't help but ask questions. If Kaneli hears that she outwardly doubts me, even a little, that won't help my credibility at all. I need to convince him before she has any contact with him."

"Hm..." Celessa hummed diffidently, looking over at the reporter across the room. "We'll do our best, Princess, but I doubt you have much time before she gets antsy."

"I'll do what I can with whatever time you can spare me. Every minute counts," Zelda said.

As Celessa nodded in understanding, the princess turned, ready to walk toward the inn's entrance, yet a small voice suddenly spoke up.

"U-um, Pr-Princess!" Paya called out, causing Zelda to stop and turn on her heel. Having gained her attention, the Sheikah continued to stammer. "I-I... I want to go w-with you..."

"What was that?" Zelda asked.

"I-I want to go with you to c-convince K-Kaneli," Paya repeated. "I haven't been of any use t-to you, even though Grandmother sent me to help. I-I want to help you convince the elder, like I'm supposed to be doing..."

Though she was slightly caught off guard by the sudden request, Zelda was only taken aback for a moment before smiling.

"Come then. We have work to do," she answered.

Returning her smile, though a slightly more nervous, Paya hurried after Zelda, the two of them exiting the inn, leaving Celessa alone.

"Wait, I'm supposed to keep Traysi busy by myself?" the pilgrim whined, yet her concerns went unheard, for Zelda and Paya had already begun their trek up the spiraling wooden stairs of the village. Running her fingers through her bangs, the pilgrim groaned as she looked back at the reporter, who was now sitting on her bed, reading through her notes. "Let's hope she stays like this for a while..."

"Um... I-if I may ask," Paya spoke up as she and the princess walked past wooden huts and fluttering banners, both sidestepping Ritofolk carrying baskets of wheat or guiding fledglings down the stairs. "Where are we going?"

"To get advice from Teba," Zelda replied. "He knows Kaneli better than any of us, meaning he's our best lead."

While her spoken words were hopeful and focused, the princess's thoughts were not. She hadn't forgotten how hesitant the Rito warrior had been regarding Kaneli's acceptance of her true identity, and while he did know Kaneli better than her, it was almost foolish to think he'd have anything she could use. Regardless, Teba was the only lead she had—a lead that wasn't home when she and Paya arrived at his hut.

"Oh! Hello there," a voice much softer than Teba's called when the Sheikah and Hylian appeared at the entrance. She was a Rito with purple, curled feathers, dressed in green and tan. Upon noticing Zelda, her sharp green eyes inspected Zelda's emerald ones. "A Hylian with golden hair and green eyes... You're Princess Zelda, aren't you?"

"I am. You must be Teba's wife. It's a pleasure to meet you," Zelda said with a slight bow, with Paya mimicking her from behind.

"I believe the pleasure should be mine, seeing as I'm meeting the princess who fought beside Champion Revali. I'm Saki," the Rito woman replied with a bow. "My husband said you'd be dropping by, though he told me it wouldn't be until evening."

"I apologize. I hope I'm not intruding–" Zelda began, yet another much younger voice called out.

"Mama, am I done yet?" said a fledgling Zelda recognized as Tulin's. Furrowing her feathered brow, Saki looked back at her son.

"Now, Tulin, you and your father were away for a day longer than you'd planned to, meaning you had an extra day of free time," she explained. "I believe a few hours of chores won't do you any harm."

With a groan, the young fledgling returned to folding and piling up stacks of cloth and leathers, similar to what his parents wore.

"I agreed to their hunting trip only because someone said they'd properly do their chores the following evening," Saki continued, focusing her attention back on Zelda. "However, someone managed to earn himself some more time away from home. He said something about helping catch a woman. Forgive me; I'm starting to ramble now. I'm assuming you came early to speak with my husband?"

"Yes, actually. It has to do with Kaneli," Zelda said, to which Saki nodded.

"Teba mentioned that to me. He figured you'd have trouble convincing the Elder of your truth. Even I find it hard to believe, but Teba said Link confirmed it, and after everything Link did for us, I can't help but trust what he says," the Rito woman said. "I'm not sure how much help he'll be, but you can find my husband at the Flight Range. I'm sure you know where that is, given you knew Champion Revali from way back when?"

"I do! I'll make my way there now. I appreciate all your help," Zelda said, to which Saki giggled.

"Anytime. Remember to come visit us for dinner later tonight–"

"Bye, Princess! See you later!" Tulin interjected loudly, waving from where he sat on the floor, surrounded by clothing. With a giggle, Zelda waved at the little fledgling before turning to Paya.

"I believe we'd best be off to the Flight Range. Let's make sure to get you some warm clothing."

Zelda and Paya re-formed on the platform of a snow-covered shrine from a flying river of blue light strings. The two shivered the moment feeling had returned to their bodies. Taking in their surroundings, they noticed it wasn't only the shrine covered in the frosty powder but the landscape—the rocky terrain that led into the mountain ranges of Hebra surrounded them, completely covered in nothing but white. Even now, the snow continued accumulating, the flakes falling peacefully from the gray clouds above them.

"Whew... I knew it would be harsh, but I didn't expect this," Zelda said, now dressed in her old royal winter garb. "To think it would be just like Hateno, even though we're at a much lower altitude..."

"I-is T-Teba really here?" Paya shivered, hugging the Snowquill tunic that now covered her body. "It's so cold..."

"This is where the Flight Range is," Zelda confirmed. "While we're at the tail end, it still is the winter season. The Rito have quite impressive feathers if they can stay warm even in such cold weather. Come, Paya."

Stepping off the platform, Zelda began trudging through the snow, making her way to the path she knew led through the mountains and toward the range, yet she quickly noticed she was alone. Confused, she turned around to see Paya slowly trudging after her from the platform.

"Paya?" Zelda called out over the wind. "What's wrong?"

"This outfit..." the Sheikah called back, barely audible over the wind and her naturally quiet voice. "It's... It's very tight..."

"Well, it is Link's," Zelda called back as Paya drew closer. At this, Paya's face burned red, and it was clear it wasn't from the cold. "He bought them during his journey before I was freed."

"T-t-this is M-M-Master Link's clothing?" she asked. "H-he wore these?"

"He wouldn't have bought them if he wasn't going to wear them... Maybe... Honestly, he's fairly unpredictable, so maybe that is something he'd do, but I know he wore that," Zelda answered as Paya finally caught up. "That doesn't bother you, does it? I know his hygiene can be a little questionable–"

"N-no! I don't have a problem with it at all..." Paya said, suddenly not minding the tightness around her hips. "T-this is fine..."

"As long as you are. I'll walk a little slower, so shall we?" Zelda asked, gesturing back up the path.

With a nod, the Sheikah and the princess continued up the path, with Paya now gripping the sleeves of her tunic a bit tighter. Slowly, they made their way through the pass, Paya's eyes starting to water at the frigid winds blowing around them before arriving at a small, circular chasm of dark mountain stone, with a central pillar of the same rock rising from its depths, along with the constant, never-ending roar of the echoing gale from below.

Once the Sheikah's eyes adjusted, she noticed there were wooden targets mounted all across the chasm's walls—some nailed high above, others deep inside, and some along the surface of the pillar in the middle. Before she could ask what they were for, a swift-moving blur appeared seemingly out of nowhere.

Paya hadn't noticed the hut that had been built on a higher ledge against the chasm wall, for it was so covered in snow, and the wind was filled with so many snowflakes, it practically blended in. It was out of this hut the blur of white had jumped, plummeting into the canyon.

"Oh my. Look at him go," Zelda suddenly said, stopping at the chasm's edge. "This brings back memories..."

Rubbing her eyes to force them to focus better, Paya stared into the chasm to see the blur of white fly upwards out of it, realizing only now that it was the Rito they were looking for. There, Teba flew, his wings outstretched as he allowed himself to be propelled by the raging winds rising from the chasm.

Twisting and twirling in the air, he flew around the stony pillar in the middle before raising his talons up, where a wooden bow was clenched in their grasp. Using his wings to come to an abrupt stop, he threw the bow up in the air before taking it into his feathery fingers. All Paya saw was the sudden shattering of multiple targets, their wooden remains flying up into the air on the powerful updrafts and being launched in the far-off distance onto the mountains, where they would be lost under the ever-piling snow.

"W-what happened?" Paya asked as Teba released his bow, catching it with his talons before heading back toward the platform he'd jumped from. "I couldn't see anything..."

"He shot arrows," Zelda said simply with a small smile, watching Teba fly back into the hut. "Just like the warriors before him."

Gesturing forward again, Paya followed the princess as they walked up to the ladder that connected the hut to the snow-covered pathway. Climbing up—after Paya was assured the ladder was safe—they entered the building which was somewhat warmer thanks to the lit cooking pot in the center and far less windy with the mountain walls surrounding it. It was there, sitting next to the pot, that they found the Rito warrior sitting with his bow in his hands.

"Princess. Lady Paya," he said cordially while adjusting the bowstring of his weapon. "Welcome to the Flight Range."

"You knew we would come?" Paya asked. The Rito shook his head.

"I'm not that clever; however, I did catch a glimpse of you while in the air just now," Teba said, gesturing toward the cooking pot to invite them to warm themselves. "While I can't say I was expecting you, I'm certainly not surprised. If I had to take a guess, Elder Kaneli didn't believe you were the princess from before, did he?"

"He...did not," Zelda answered, taking a seat on the floorboards, the crackling flames under the pot warming her, with Paya quickly mimicking her actions. "I explained everything I could, as simply as I could, but to no avail."

"Well, I did warn you. Kaneli isn't one to simply change his perspective on things once he thinks he has them figured out," Teba said.

"The thing is, I need his perspective to change," Zelda insisted.

"And why's that?" Teba asked. "Did you not get his support?"

"Well, I did gain his support, something I truly appreciate," Zelda explained. "But, as Traysi put it, it only takes one of the leader of Hyrule's races doubting to cause the feeling to spread among many. I was hoping you may have some advice on changing his mind."

"I see," Teba replied thoughtfully. He sat quietly for a moment, still tinkering with his bow, before heaving a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry, Princess, but I don't think I can help you."

"W-what makes you say that?" Zelda asked, disheartened by the Rito's answer.

"It took me months to realize Link was the Hylian Champion who fought alongside Champion Revali," Teba explained. "I only realized it only after you were freed, all thanks to Kass, actually. He may be the only one capable of convincing Kaneli, seeing as he's knowledgeable about the past beyond just us, Rito, but Kass hasn't been here these past few weeks. I believe he left on another journey for who knows for how long. You can never tell with him."

"I see..." Zelda groaned, looking down at her knees.

"Have you considered that maybe you shouldn't try to convince Kaneli of who you are?" Teba suddenly suggested.

"How would that help? If anything, that would only cause more issues," Zelda replied, looking back up. "I need to convince him. Otherwise–"

"You say you need to convince him, but what happens if you push too hard?" Teba asked calmly. "You could do the very opposite of what you mean to do."

"I..." Zelda stammered. The Rito raised an eyebrow.

"When Vah Medoh was attacking our village," he began to explain, "my partner Harth and I ventured out to fight the Divine Beast ourselves despite the warnings given to us. Unsurprisingly, we were shot down almost immediately. Harth was injured, and I barely came out unscathed. It was a clear sign we were outmatched... Yet, I'd still stubbornly planned to take the beast on alone."

"You tried to fight the Divine Beast alone?" Zelda asked in horror, to which the Rito chuckled.

"I almost did...and it would've been a foolish decision," Teba said. "But in my mind, I needed to take the beast down, for it was a threat to my people, and unrealistically, I planned to do it alone, even if it cost me my life. I thought it was the only choice I had when the best choice was to be patient or ask for help. That was the day Link walked into the Flight Range."

With a deep breath, Teba finished readjusting his bowstring with a final tug.

"Link not only saved my village but also my life. I would have died that day had he not convinced me to take him along," Teba said. "Sometimes, sitting and waiting is the best thing you can do, to make a far better plan and ask for assistance from those around you."

Setting the bow on the floor next to him, he focused his sharp eyes on Zelda.

"You've already done all you could, having talked with the elder. If you push too hard, you may look as though you're desperate to convince him. You'd look untrustworthy," Teba continued, "which may hurt your chances of convincing him in the future. Sure, things may be tough now and for a while going forward, but I can't imagine being a leader is supposed to be an easy job. While it might be a tougher road ahead, it may be best to wait. If you do, perhaps another person will come to your aid, just as Link did for me."

"Hm..." Zelda hummed thoughtfully, her mind trailing back to her time in Hateno with Link. "What you're saying isn't...untrue. I've made that mistake before, now that I think about it..."

"If you're referring to what you told me about your timein Hateno with Link, I'd say that's a fair example," Teba agreed. "Though, I do wish there was another option. I apologize for having nothing more."

"No... No, this was good. I needed to hear this," Zelda said.

After a moment of pause, she reached down and took the Sheikah Slate off her hip, and after giving it another second of thought, she held it out to the Sheikah sitting next to her. Confused, Paya gave her a look.

"I want you to tell Celessa she doesn't have to keep Traysi busy any longer," the princess explained. "Having Traysi question and comment openly about my past may not be helpful in the short term, but appearing composed and behaving like a princess who believes her own words will help in the long term. We won't try to force Kaneli to see things our way; we'll just have to do our best to show him who I am later on when we have the proper proof we need."

"A-are you sure...?" Paya asked. Zelda nodded. "B-but, what about you?"

"I believe I'll stay here for a bit longer. I'll ride back with Teba—if that's alright?" she asked the Rito sitting across from them. When he nodded, Paya looked between the two before standing, and with a tap of the slate, she disappeared into a string of blue lights.

"What made you wish to stay?" Teba asked curiously, pushing himself off of the floor. As he headed toward the wall against which a short drawer was leaning, he continued. "I'm sure you didn't stay simply to keep me company."

"Your archery," Zelda answered. "It...reminded me a lot of Revali."

"Of Master Revali?" Teba repeated, opening the drawer to pull out some cooking ingredients. "I appreciate the praise, but I'm sure Champion Revali was leagues above my skill level."

"Maybe, but you forget—I watched Revali a hundred years ago," Zelda said as Teba sat back down, throwing the ingredients into the pot in front of them. She watched as a broth came to a boil and food began to cook, yet her eyes seemed lost in a time long past rather than the pot's contents. "You're closer to him than you think."

"Hm. I see," Teba said. "Even so, close isn't there, and honestly, Link is leagues above me in his own right. When he first arrived and showed me his skill with a bow, I thought I was watching Revali himself. I have far more training to do."

"Is that why you're here? Training?" Zelda asked.

"Even with Medoh having calmed, the village will always need its warriors," Teba said, grabbing a ladle to stir the pot's contents. "Vah Medoh appeared out of nowhere and started attacking us by surprise. Peaceful times may not always last; you never know what may happen, and I intend to protect my village. I need to stay vigilant...and I can't exactly focus on my own training with Tulin around."

"I guarantee he'd much rather be here training with you than at home at the moment," Zelda giggled, her eyes rising from the pot's swirling contents.

"So that's how you knew where I was. You went to speak with Saki," Teba chuckled, picking himself back up to find a couple of bowls. "She doesn't like that Tulin's taken a liking to the bow at such a young age. He's still her little hatchling, but the boy has the heart of a warrior—when his eyes aren't too blinded by his own feathers."

"Well, it looks like he has a wonderful teacher," Zelda said, "and father. It's no wonder Kaneli wants you to be the one to go to Lurelin in honor of Revali."

"He wants me to go?" Teba asked as he sat back down in front of the pot, now with bowls in his grasp. "That old owl... Always throwing things at me to accept."

"Does that mean you don't want to go?" Zelda asked. "I think you'd be the best person to be there...especially since it's really for Link."

"Hm..." Teba hummed thoughtfully, using the ladle to fill the bowls of the freshly cooked vegetable soup. "Even if I didn't want to go, I'm sure Kaneli would pull my feathers until I did, and so would Tulin. I'm sure he'll wish to tag along. Besides, it'll be a great chance to show Link my appreciation for his help."

Leaning forward, he handed one of the warm bowls of soup to Zelda, who took it with a nod of gratitude.

"I'd be happy to join your festival, Princess," he said with a smile on his beak. At this, Zelda returned the smile.

"Thank you, Teba."

*    *    *    *    *

Re-forming on the platform she teleported to, Paya took a breath of the somewhat less frosty air. While it was still cold, this was certainly much better than the blizzard she had been standing in before. Still, her mind was filled with sorrow. Though she had been given the task of telling Celessa it was alright to allow Traysi to roam and question everything, something didn't feel right about it—like it shouldn't be the task given to her. Thoughtfully and disappointedly, she looked down at the ancient relic in her hands. Sure, the princess seemed alright with simply waiting, for she had done all she could to convince Elder Kaneli that she was who she said.

Yet Paya still hadn't done a thing.

She hadn't been able to convince anyone that Zelda was who she claimed to be. Either those they spoke to already knew, or she had been too shaken to properly convey what she was meant to: that Zelda was the princess from a century before, as claimed by the person who would know best in Hyrule—her grandmother. She was a Sheikah who had to be carried halfway through the desert. An anxious woman who had to be saved from a lizalfos. A granddaughter who shouldn't have come. Throughout her entire journey, she had been nothing but a burden.

While she was no longer standing in a blizzard, the storm within her mind continued to rage, her soul freezing up as the ice became too thick, a sign she would never become anything like her grandmother. Yet something beyond her thoughts had entered her mind, cutting through the winds and ice, and they had entered through her pointed ears. Notes... Musical notes she hadn't noticed until now.

Lifting her head from the slate, she finally took in her surroundings, realizing this shrine was next to one of the highest wooden platforms in Rito Village. Entranced, she listened as the notes continued to play from an instrument she had never heard before. After a few seconds, she realized there was also a whistle—multiple in fact—blowing the same tune as the unfamiliar instrument.

Slowly, Paya turned on her heels, enjoying the music but searching for its origins all the while, until eventually, her eyes landed on the wooden platform the shrine was next to. There stood a group of Rito, all different shades of colors that spanned the rainbow. While most of them were small and short with rather large heads, one of them towered over the others. He was a Rito with parrot-like features, stockier than most, with the majority of his feathers one beautiful shade of blue and his tail feathers a variety of different shades.

While his appearance was eye-catching, it was the item between his hands that caught Paya's attention the most—a rectangular instrument, one that the Rito waspushing together and pulling apart, the middle piece stretching and contracting with each movement.

Unable to help herself, Paya stepped off the platform and back onto the wooden walkways of the village. Making her way down to the balcony, she watched as the flock of Rito continued to play, even after she stopped before them. The song they whistled echoed through the village, blocking out the wind and any other ambient sound. The melody was so beautiful it filled every part of the Sheikah's mind so completely that she continued to hear it playing long after the song had ended.

"Well done, my little ones," the instrument player said, turning around to face the fledglings who had sung behind him. "I can tell that you all have been practicing."

"We have, Papa! We have!" the children practically sang in unison. At this, the large Rito laughed.

"And it shows! Why, look here, it seems you managed to gather an audience with your talents," he said, pointing his large beak at the Sheikah standing behind them.

As all the feathered children turned to look at her, Paya didn't immediately respond and the song continued to echo around her mind. It wasn't until the large Rito coughed that she realized she was staring and that others were staring at her.

"E-eh? Oh!" Paya suddenly stammered out, her cheeks furiously burning. Bringing her the slate down, she bowed. "I-I-I'm sorry. I d-d-didn't mean t-to–"

Before she could finish, the Rito gave a hearty laugh.

"That's quite alright, my dear friend! To be lost in a song means the ones playing its notes did an excellent job!" he said cheerfully as he looked back down at his children. "I'm very proud of you all."

The children cheered as their father chuckled again, though something seemed to have caught his attention. Taking a look at the Sheikah standing before him, he gave a melodic hum before speaking to his children again.

"Forgive me, my little ones, but why don't you give me and this young Sheikah here some time alone?" he asked. "It's noon now, so why don't you find your mother and see what our plans are for lunch? Can you do that for me?"

After a round of agreement from the group of children, they quickly ran off down the walkways, disappearing down the spiraling staircases to the lower levels of the village, leaving Paya and the Rito alone.

"Y-you k-knew I was a Sheikah?" Paya asked.

"Well, my dear, that tattoo on your forehead doesn't exactly hide it," the Rito said. "However, I would have pieced it together regardless, for my teacher was a Sheikah, just as you are."

"Your teacher?" Paya asked. The Rito nodded, a slow note beginning to play on his instrument again.

"The one who taught me to play this accordion of mine," he said. "He's passed from this world now, but his songs remain in the notes I play. You may have heard of him before, for he was one of the royal bards of the castle before the calamity that befell it. In fact, he knew your grandmother well at one point..."

"You know my grandmother?" Paya asked, stepping closer to the bard. "And you know...me?"

"I know of her," the minstrel answered. "The Great Elder of Kakariko Village, the one who helped keep Hyrule's survivors in order before planting herself in her village. A brave and strong woman, with the tattoo of the Sheikah on her forehead."

As the Rito continued to play his slow notes, he glanced down at the Sheikah now standing beside him.

"Just as you have, but you seem far too young to be the elder herself, or even her daughter for that matter," he said. "You must be a generation after, if not more."

"I-I'm... I'm her granddaughter, P-Paya..." the Sheikah clarified.

"A pleasure it is to make your acquaintance, Miss Paya. You may call me Kass," said the bard. "It's rare to see a Sheikah travel so far, if they leave the village of Kakariko at all. You must be like your grandmother, if you're visiting my home."

"I..." Paya stammered. "I'm...nothing like my grandmother. My grandmother was able to make a difference a-and lead people when they needed her most. Even now, in her old age, she's m-much stronger than I am..."

"You don't say?" Kass replied curiously. "You say that, but here you still stand, holding one special relic I've only seen two other people hold..."

"Y-you mean...?"

"The hero of Hyrule who awoke almost a year ago and the princess who was freed only recently," the bard stated. "Yes, I do know who they are, and if you have that relic, either one or both of them are here."

"T-the princess is here in the village, yes... W-well, at the Flight Range, at least as of right now..." Paya answered. "Sh-she's plans to reconstruct Hyrule and even wants to hold a festival to mark the beginning of reunification. But... To strengthen her claim that the princess really is the princess from before, we need all of the leaders to know, and...t-the elder here d-doesn't... He doesn't believe..."

"Elder Kaneli doesn't believe, hm?" Kass asked, his tone still cheery as his notes slowly gained speed. Paya shook her head.

"H-he believes her to be a descendant of the royal family, b-but not Princess Zelda herself..." Paya said, looking down at her feet in shame. "It seems as though nothing will change his mind. The princess already tried to convince him but to no avail."

"I see... And what about you?" Kass asked as he looked out over the Hebra landscape.

"M-me?" Paya asked, looking up at the Rito.

"Do you believe the princess to be who she says?" the bard asked.

"I-I do... I-I m-mean, I know she is... My grandmother knows her, and I trust my grandmother's judgment," the Sheikah replied. "A-and even if I didn't, I trust the princess and Master Link. They're... They're amazing..."

"And you believe yourself not to be?" Kass asked.

"I... I know I'm not..." Paya replied. "Just as I'm nothing like my grandmother, I'm nothing like Master Link or Princess Zelda. I... I-I'm... I can't do anything. I cower in fear. I can't speak well. I'm of no use... I was brought along on this journey to help convince others of the princess's true identity, but she's managed to convince them all either on her own or with the help of someone special like Master Link. I wasn't of any help then, and if even the princess can't convince the Rito elder of who she is, t-then... Then what chance does someone like me have?"

"Hmmmm..." Kass hummed, continuing to play his tune. "Do pardon my assumption, but you seem to hold the princess and the hero in high regard, so much so that you may be shadowing your own potential."

"M-my own potential?" Paya asked. The minstrel nodded.

"Indeed. You see, you say you have a hard time speaking, and while I can certainly tell you trip over your words from time to time, you still chose to speak with me, a bard you've never met before," Kass explained.

"I-I... U-um..." Paya stammered, yet before she could formulate a response, the Rito continued.

"You also seem to be using that device pretty well. It's quite dangerous, from how I've seen the hero use it, at least," Kass said. "Yet, there you are, holding on to it with confidence. I take it you used that to travel here, did you not?"

"I... I did..." Paya said. "I... I learned how to use it from the princess...a-and the reason I can speak a bit better i-is thanks to her and our friend Celessa... Even Master Link encouraged me to speak more around him..."

"I'd say it shows," Kass said with a smile. "Tell me, Miss Paya, have you tried speaking with Elder Kaneli regarding the princess?"

"I... I haven't," Paya said. "Like I said, i-if the princess couldn't do it, t-there's... There's no way I could–"

"But have you tried?" Kass cut in. Unable to use her words, Paya shook her head. "Then, my dear Sheikah, it sounds as though you've ended your song before the notes started playing."

"My song?" Paya asked, to which the bard nodded.

"You know... This reminds me of another song I once played," Kass said. "Miss Paya... Would you like to hear my song?"

Again, unable to speak, Paya simply nodded. At this, Kass smiled.

"Thank you, kind Sheikah," he said. "Now then, please open your ears and your heart to my song..."

At this, he played the accordion faster, matching the speed he'd been playing when his children were whistling along.

"The flames crawl, the waters rise,

The lightning strikes, the wind sighs.

A beast, beyond the divine four,

awaits a hero forevermore.

Let not a sound leave these horses riled.

Breathe in a breath of the wild."

Slowly, the accordion's notes came to a stop. Again, Paya hadn't realized the song had ended as it flowed through her body. It took a few moments before she snapped back to reality.

"W-what did it mean?" she asked. "It... It sounded like a song that referenced my ancestors' creations, the Divine Beasts, but... There were only four Divine Beasts..."

"Were there only four?" Kass asked, raising a feathered eyebrow.

Confused, Paya stared at him before suddenly, a light flickered behind her eyes in realization. She looked down at the Sheikah Slate in her hands.

"T-the Master Cycle... But, this was for Master Link..." she mused aloud. After another moment of silence, she asked, "Was that song...for him?"

"It was," the bard said. "That beast in your relic was his reward for the trials he underwent a few months ago. At the start of that trial, he didn't know if he would succeed, and he almost didn't. But, even with his doubts in mind, do you know what he did?"

"H-he... He tried," Paya said.

"He did, and even through his doubts, he fought to pass the trials laid out before him," Kass said, playing a few notes on his accordion. "Just as the princess is fighting through her own trials attempting to rebuild the kingdom she lost, from what you've told me."

"D-do... Do you think I should try to convince the elder of who the princess is?" Paya asked quietly.

"It doesn't matter what I think. I simply play ancient songs that were passed down to me," Kass said kindly. "It's up to those who listen to my songs to make their own decisions. I will, however, urge you to listen to the final verse and take a breath of the wild that surrounds us."

Just as Kass suggested, the Sheikah closed her eyes and took a deep breath. After a moment, she opened her eyes and looked back down at the Sheikah Slate's darkened screen, where she found herself looking back at her own reflection.

"I... I want to try and convince your elder..." she said quietly, bringing the slate to her chest. "I wish to use my voice. I wish to be like my grandmother. I wish to help Princess Zelda and Master Link. Master Kass, w-would... Would you come with me? I-I'm sure you'll be able to help me... Th-there's nothing wrong with asking for help, is there?"

"Not at all, Miss Paya," Kass said with a slight bow. "It'd be my honor. Please allow me to guide you to the elder's home. In fact, it's just over there. Are you ready?"

Turning around, Paya looked over at the wooden hut Kass had gestured toward. Taking another deep breath, Paya nodded and stepped forward, toward the Rito Elder's home.

Cold air blew across Zelda's cheeks once more as she flew through the sky on Teba's back.

"You're still coming to dinner later this evening, aren't you?" Teba asked.

"If you'll have me, I'd be more than happy to. Excited even," Zelda said with a smile. "Are you alright with my friends accompanying me?"

"I don't see why not," Teba said. "I'll be dropping you off near Kaneli's, if that's alright. I might as well let the old owl know I accept going to Lurelin. I'll also have to tell Saki about the trip, and try to convince her to let me take Tulin with me."

"Will words from a princess help?" Zelda asked with a giggle.

"I think there'd be a better chance of her agreeing if you asked in my stead, actually, but I'm sure I'll be able to convince her," Teba chuckled.

With a flap of his wings, he brought them higher into the sky. Soon, the falling snow lessened, and the stone perch of Tabantha came into view. Again, the Rito and princess circled the village before landing at the top, just in front of the village elder's hut. Zelda slid from his back, allowing him to stand properly once more.

"Well then, I'll see you tonight," the Rito warrior said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be heading in to speak with Kaneli–"

"Teba?" a voice suddenly called. Furrowing his brow, Teba looked through the hut's entrance to find a bard walking toward him.

"Kass? My friend!" Teba said with a smile, patting Kass on the shoulder as he came toward them. "What are you doing here? Back from your journey already?"

"Well, I was just stopping in to see the kids, but something came up during my visit. Princess Zelda," Kass said with a bow of his head. "It is a pleasure to see you again, my dear."

"You as well, Kass!" Zelda said happily, giving a small bow of her own. "If I may ask, what came up?"

"As a matter of fact, you did," Kass said. As Zelda and Teba furrowed their brows in confusion, the bard stepped aside to reveal Paya, along with the large owl sitting in his rocking chair behind her.

"Paya?" Zelda asked, stepping into the hut. "What are you doing here? Is everything alright?"

"I-I... U-um..." Paya stammered. "I-I'm sorry. I... I went against your orders and–"

"Princess Zelda!" Kaneli suddenly hooted. "Hoo Hoo! To think, you truly are the princess from before!"

This caused Zelda's eyes to widen in surprise while Teba gave Kass a curious look.

"Y-you believe me?" she asked. "You know who I am? Truly?"

"At this point, I must believe you!" the old owl hooted. "How can I not when the Sheikah standing before me is the granddaughter of Lady Impa of the Sheikah, and Kass, who knew the bard of the Royal Family! I say I'd be a fool if I didn't believe! I also hear Link is not simply a descendant but the knight himself! Hoo! And I thought the Goddess had blessed us enough when I assumed the descendant of the Hylian champion had arrived, but no! It's the Hylian Champion and the princess themselves! Hoo Hoo!"

"I... Paya..." Zelda managed to say, looking back at the Sheikah.

"I... I'm sorry, Princess..." Paya stammered out again, looking down at her feet. "I... I know y-you t-told me to go elsewhere and that we should leave the matter alone, b-but–"

Stepping forward, she took Paya's hands into her own.

"You vouched for me," Zelda said gently. "And you succeeded. Impa would be so proud of you, just as I am."

"Princess..." Paya hesitated before smiling in return. "T-thank you... I just wanted to be of use."

"Well, it looks like my advice was right, Princess," Teba said, walking into the hut. "All you had to do was be patient. Now, it's time for me to do my part. Kaneli, you wanted me to go to Lurelin Village?"

"I do, hoo hoo!" Kaneli hooted, rocking back and forth in his chair. "If there's anyone who should represent the Rito, it should be you, given how hard you fought for us when Medoh attacked. You even fought beside the Hylian Champion, just as Master Revali did before. I have no doubt it should be you who goes."

"Then it'd be an honor," Teba said with a nod, giving Zelda a wink.

"Hooooo! Wonderful," the old owl cheered.

"Then... Then that's–" Zelda began to say as realization set in; however before she could finish, an echoing of voices could be heard between the wooden beams of the hut.

"Celessa, you're being obnoxious!" a voice Zelda recognized as Traysi's shouted. "I've helped you shop, I helped you reorganize your bag, and we've seen everything this village has to offer! I'm going to interview the elder!"

"B-but, we could... Uh... Wait, come on, Traysi!" Celessa's panicked voice responded. "Can't you wait for just one second so that–?"

"What is it with you people wanting me to wait so badly? I'm going to get my interviews, so back off and–" the reporter yelled back, appearing through the doorway of the hut before coming to a stop upon seeing the group of people inside. Confused, she looked between the Rito, the Hylian princess, and the Sheikah, as Celessa came barreling inside after her.

"Traysi, come on–! Oh..." she said, appearing at Traysi's side. "Did... Did we miss something?"

"Ah, Princess, are these your companions?" Kaneli asked. "I believe you spoke of them when you came to see me earlier."

"'Princess?'" Traysi and Celessa repeated.

"If you'd like a quick answer, your Sheikah friend here convinced the elder of who our princess truly is," explained the bard cheerfully.

"Of course she did..." Traysi sighed, pulling out her notebook and writing implement from her front bag. "What else did I expect? Apparently, I'm the only one who needs real solid proof around here..."

"Wait, you said Paya convinced the elder?" Celessa asked the minstrel, her face blank with shock before her features brightened. "Paya did? Paya!"

Dashing forward, she wrapped her arms around Paya's torso and arms in an embrace.

"Ah, you did it! Look at you!" the pilgrim cheered. "I knew you had it in you!"

"Th-thank you... I could only do it because of all of your support," Paya said, her cheeks blushing as she looked between her and the princess.

"And we couldn't have done it without you," Zelda said, "or you, Celessa."

"Me? What do you mean?" the pilgrim asked. "Paya's the one that convinced him."

"But you've been with me along this whole journey," Zelda said. "It's because of both of you that we're ready."

"Ready? We're ready?" Celessa asked, furrowing her brow. Suddenly, her eyes widened. "We're ready!"

"We are. Well, sort of," Zelda said with a nod before turning to Traysi. "You'll be getting your proper proof soon."

"Will I now?" Traysi asked without looking up from the notes she was writing.

"You will. Tonight we discuss our next steps, and tomorrow, we'll head back to Lurelin Village," Zelda said. "It's time to plan out our festival."

*    *    *    *    *

In a flash, Link re-formed, his body bruised and battered, yet still standing as he held an ax with a glowing blade. Though he had battled through hordes of robotic enemies, he stood firm, his hands gripping the handle of his weapon as he looked around the open, rectangular room he stood in. Earlier, the floor had been stone and an occasional thin layer of water; this time, the center of the floor was missing, with a square chasm in its center. At this, Link readied his stance, knowing full well what was coming. This wasn't new to him.

Just as he expected, the floor beneath him began to shake as a platform rose from the chasm, revealing a large, three-legged mechanical guardian scout, far larger than any of the scouts he had fought so far. The moment its blue eye locked onto the Hylian in front of it, its dome-shaped head began to rise, revealing a glowing blue neck, where three thin arms clicked out, each holding a blue-glowing weapon.

With its weapons at the ready—an ax, a spear, and a sword—the mechanical beast began to dart toward its opponent. To the untrained eye, its movements seemed erratic as it zigzagged toward him, its weapons poised to attack, yet Link furrowed his brow. A machine was still just that—a being of gears and screws—and that meant it had a pattern.

The scout came to an abrupt stop before him and raised its right-hand weapon, the sword. The moment it swung, Link leapt, flipping backward as time began to slow. As he slowly landed on his feet, he immediately pushed off again, gripping the handle of his ax even tighter as he flew through the air. With a slash to the arm's mechanical joint, the scout's sword clattered to the ground, its severed arm sparking.

As time began to move again, the mechanical beast jolted as though in pain, trying to compute what had happened. Deciding its next move, the three legs of the spider-like machine began to move backward, creating distance between itself and the Hylian who had injured it, yet this, too, was an expected maneuver. While the beast gained distance, Link placed the ax on his back, exchanging it for one of the wooden shields he had ripped from the bokoblins he'd slaughtered on his way to this floor.

Gaining enough distance by its calculations, the guardian scout retracted its weapons and lowered its head back down onto its body. Now vibrating, the head began to spin, picking up speed with each rotation until, eventually, its glowing eye emitted the familiar blue laser, just as all the others before it had done. Link watched as the laser slammed against the wall, burning the perimeter of the room as it came closer, ready to scorch his body. As the beam quickly closed in, the instant before the laser could touch his skin, he swung his arm, the front of his shield colliding with the laser and sending it flying back, striking the scout directly in the eye.

Overloaded by the powerful blow, the guardian's legs weakened as it tried to reconfigure, its head spinning and jolting erratically. Taking the chance, Link dashed forward, grabbing the glowing sword that had fallen to the ground. Noticing the incoming attack, the multi-legged beast tried to focus its sparking eye, building up whatever sporadic, uneven energy it could muster, yet its red-line sight couldn't stay straight. As the red dot on Link's chest unsuccessfully tried to focus on his heart, Link closed in before leaping up and striking the scout in the eye with its own weapon.

With the sword stuck in its eye, the orange and blue lights on the guardian's body faded, the machine's legs gave out, and its head tilted weakly to the side, causing the sword to fall from its socket and clatter to the ground.

Link remained still for a moment, staring down at the destroyed scout before him to ensure that it wouldn't stand again, then fell to his knees in exhaustion. As he caught his breath, the soreness radiating throughout his body every time his lungs expanded, he could feel his body beginning to lose feeling, yet he knew he wasn't on the teleportation pad. Forcing himself to look up, he watched as a sudden light blinded his vision, surrounding him. Soon, he could feel warmth against his skin. As the light dimmed, a different light replaced it: the light of the sun, shining through a canopy of leaves.

He had again been transported to a forest.

Thank the Goddess, Link thought as he sighed in relief, relaxing his body. Leaning his body forward, he rested his forehead and arms on the soft grass beneath him. It only took sixteen floors this time...

After a few seconds to himself, he stood, and though he was sore, he dusted his shredded Hylian tunic off before looking around the forest he found himself in. While the trees were still large and overgrown, there was far more space between them, unlike the grove he'd been in before. Instead of the roots and stone between the tree trunks, there was a thick mist similar to the Lost Woods of his era, but he knew this wasn't where he found himself now.

Alright, Link thought as he twisted and turned, surveying the forest and its mist. Where am I now...?

Hey there! Quick announcement if you don't follow me on Twitter or Wattpad: The Couple Series is getting an Audio Play! We are in the midst of casting voices, so if you want a chance to voice an NPC, or even a main character, you can! Check my Twitter (X) account for more information on where to audition if interested! Thank you, and I'm excited to see where this project takes us!

You can audition on the link in the comment I place here:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 92 14
This story depicts Link and Zelda's struggles to maintain a balance in their lives, with which they can fulfill their responsibilities and also enjoy...
538 13 4
His motions were a subtle but steady pushing, an undulation of that warm frame behind her. His steady hand just over her hip was dimpling her nightsh...
58K 1.7K 26
Zelda doesn't believe in soulmates; Zelda barely even believes in herself. That is, until Link turns up with a sword strapped to his back, heralding...
19.7K 348 21
Following Link and Zeldas relationship before the calamity. It all started when they first met at twelve years old. They started out rough but eventu...