Caught In between

By AnjieCyn

When Levi asks Marlise to help him babysit his son after his wife walks out on him, he never expects to fall... More

Authors Notes
CHAPTER ONE: Pick A Side!
CHAPTER TWO: A Bad Deal
CHAPTER THREE: Drama
CHAPTER 4: The Mothers
Chapter 5: An Almost Loss
Chapter 7: Drastic Decisions
Chapter 8: New beginning
Chapter 9: Secrets out
Chapter 10: Questions
Chapter 11: Negotiations and Privileges
Chapter 12: Ghost from the past
Chapter 13: Suspicions
Chapter 14: Truth
CHAPTER 15: Moms who played God
Chapter 16: Betrayed
Chapter 17: A sister bond
Chapter 18: To err
Chapter 19: Feelings
Chapter 20: A baby deal
Chapter 21: Coming Home
CHAPTER 22: Change of plans
Chapter 23: Visitor
Chapter 24: Family
Chapter 25: Don't play with my heart
Chapter 26: Bitter heart
Chapter 27: The other woman
Chapter 28: Moving & Miracles
Chapter 29: COINCIDENCE
Chapter 30: Opportunity
Chapter 31: Life and Death
CHAPTER 32: From the past
Chapter 33: Birthday
CHAPTER 34: Accidental click
CHAPTER 35: Secrets Out!
CHAPTER 36: Better to be friends
CHAPTER 37: JUST FRIENDS(the end)

Chapter 6: A New face

15 2 0
By AnjieCyn

When Marlise got discharged from the hospital the following day, Levi drove her back to the guest house. While in the car, he worried because she would be staying in the same house with her mother, the same woman who had given her concoctions to terminate the pregnancy.

"We found in her system, traces of substances harmful to pregnant women. In two weeks she should return for a clearer scan to confirm the viability of the foetus."

The doctor had told him and he'd relayed the info just to Marlise and begged her to keep it from her mother until they confirmed if she was still pregnant.

He helped her settle into bed because she was very weak. As soon as she lay down, she turned her back to him and he felt instantly rejected.

"I'll be leaving for the West today. Please take care of yourself. Be careful with what you eat," He said softly, lowering his head and kissing her cheek. She still didn't respond.

He stood up and walked out.

His trip to the plantation in the West had come as an impromptu phone call from his father.
"Levi. When was the last time you visited the plantation?" His father asked sternly.
Whenever the man asked a question, he knew he'd done something wrong.
"Err, I call the manager regularly, sir," He replied formally.
"There is a riot going on. Something about salaries. Have they not been paid?" Mr Mutanda asked.
"Sir, there has been a delay due to low production output," Levi replied.

On days like this, he wondered whether he was a son or an employee of the family. Everything had been left to him from the moment he graduated from the University. His father kept using the money of the farms to invest in other ventures that mostly failed. It was one of the main reasons why they were behind schedule in salaries. He was tired of putting out fires.

"I need you to go down there and don't come back until it is resolved," Mr Mutanda commanded.

"Sir. I have a personal matter to attend to," Levi said.

"What could be more personal than your family business?" He asked.
"Nothing sir, I will leave tomorrow, sir," Levi had never been able to argue with the man.
"You're leaving tonight," Mr Mutanda ordered and hung up.

Levi drove home with a heavy heart and it was made worse when he opened his door and met his sister Belle in the living room, one leg suspended on the glass table, painting her toe nails.

"I'm going for a business trip to the West and I'm taking Jay and the maid," he announced on his way to his room.

"Who will cook for us?" Belle called out.
"And the rent is due in three days. Settle it with the landlord. I don't know when I will be back. Also, there's no fuel in the vehicles, " He said feeling the satisfaction of her discomfort.

♡♡♡

The following day in the afternoon, while Marlise rested on the living room couch, Cherish strolled in.
"I heard you lost your baby," She said.
"So you came to gloat?" Marlise asked.
"Its an advantage for me but I still feel bad," She replied, looking sad.
"Stop pretending. You're not sorry!" Marlise shouted.

Their mother walked in at that moment. The hatred between Cherish and her mother was visible from the look that passed between them.

"Good afternoon ma," Cherish said coldy.
"Cherish. What are you doing here?" Mado Asked.
"I came to see my sister, of course," Cherish responded.
"Hmm," Mado snorted and placed a glass of orange juice in front of Marlise.
"Drink," She said. Marlise shook her head. She didn't have appetite for anything.
"Are you planning to starve yourself?" She asked, irritated and walked away.

♡♡♡

After a week, Marlise got fed up of her mother yelling at her.
"You have to move on! It has already happened." Mado would say when she either refused to eat or step out of her room. She was sinking into depression and her mother wasn't helping.

"You're too weak that's why I am trying to protect you. Weak in love, weak to bounce back. Cherish is the fighter and you are the lover. Lovers are losers!" Mami Mado said.

"I'm not weak!" Marlise yelled back and stormed to the room. She needed to prove a point to herself and everyone so she dressed up and left the house by 9pm. After much thinking, she found herself at Koto Vip Lounge, an expensive spot in Yaounde. Inside, she ordered three shots of whiskey.

If there was a baby in her belly, maybe it was meant to disappear. She was tired of the uncertainty.
She raised one glass to her mouth when a man approached. Her hand stopped in midair as she saw the handsome intrusion: An attractive man with a gap toothed smile that distabilized her for a moment.

"A strong drink for a strong lady," The man said, staring her directly in the eye.
"I...I need some space," She said quickly, realising he didn't plan on leaving.

"Hmmm...firm decision. I respect that," he said, raising his hands in surrender.

"Wait. She called back. He turned.

"How do you know I'm strong?" She asked.
"I see it in your eyes. The defiance in spite of what you are currently going through," He replied.
"I haven't told you I'm going through anything, " She said defensively.
"You don't need to. Your posture says it all." He said.

"Let me guess. It involves another man or someone you hold in high regard?" He continued.

Marlise wondered if she were that transparent.

"By the way, my name is Elad Kameni and you are...?" he asked, extending his hand. She considered for a few seconds then accepted his handshake.

"Marlise Ayah," She replied.

"Beautiful name," he said, staring into her eyes and making her feel nervous.

"Can I?" he asked pointing to the empty seat opposite her. She nodded. He sat.

Her phone rang. She looked at the screen, frowned and muted the sound.

"Let me guess, the man who hurt you,?" he asked.

"Can you stop already!" She snapped.

"I apologize. I will keep my thoughts to myself, " he said.

Marlise looked into his eyes and realized he was sincere.

"How do you do that, you know, read people?" She asked.

"Humans are all walking books and the ones who've learnt to be still can read them. You have to be genuinely interested in people to see beyond what they show you. Like me, I am interested in you that's why I can read you," Elad said.

Marlise was intrigued.

"What else can you see about me?" she asked.

"You trust very easily, " Elad said.

"Are you saying I'm gullible?" she asked in a raised voice.

"It means you have a good heart," He interjected quickly.

"I can read people too! All men are liars and you came here to pick up ladies and break their hearts," Marlise said sharply.

Elad just smiled and shook his head.

"You're seeing through the lenses of your experience." He said, his eyes softening with understanding.

"Maybe," She replied looking down at the glasses of whiskey that no longer held her interest.

"You shouldn't drink that if you don't want to," Elad said.

She nodded.

"Elad! Where are the drinks?" Someone yelled from across the room.

"Oh my! I came to order drinks and I got carried away. Let me get back to my rowdy party. Its my bestfriend's bachelor's eve. Can I have your number?," He asked quickly.
She shook her head, unsure of whether she wanted another man in her space.
He took out a business card, placed it on the table, and walked away.
She slipped it into her purse, planning to add it to the others she never used.

♡♡♡♡

Eventhough Levi was in the West Region, his heart was roaming in the Centre, searching the love of his life, calling non stop and hoping she would pick up.

TO BE CONTINUED....
THANKS FOR READING!
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CHAPTER?
BUT WAIT OH. WHICH OF MADO'S DAUGHTERS DOES SHE LIKE AT THE END?
Remember to highlight a paragraph and share your thoughts!
Click on the star to vote!
Write your comments so I can read!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 1.2K 25
What's life, nothing but a void canvas which we have to fill with numerous hues. And once in a while we come across people who will taint the void ca...
215K 25.8K 49
"I don't care what your heart feels. All I need is your body. You heart can do whatever it wants." This is not your typical Disney romance. The hero...
30.2K 1.3K 34
Life keeps throwing lemons and stones at her , when she believes that she wants to live her life until she dies alone , but when she meets her Mr rig...
1.8K 128 49
____ "I'd love to marry you Leon! Yes!" He tried slipping the ring on my finger. He did it once. Twice. Thrice. He looked at the ring and sighed, "Sh...