Road to Ruin [AEW Oneshots]

By goodgawddallas

A collection of All Elite Wrestling one-shots that I've written! There will be a variety of stories ranging f... More

INTRODUCTION
the bastard returns
a little more
no objections
christmas cheer
old friends
play nice
the road ahead
cause and effect
a good place to start
highs and lows
the fun thing about friends
you missed me
lost time
things will be better
one day
what's mine is yours
and what's yours is mine
practical and convenient

a special announcement

24 1 68
By goodgawddallas

"Dude, just fly on over. What's the big deal? You miss Liz, don't you?"

"Of course I do, ya fuckin' cunt. But I don't see the point in me wasting the time or the money to fly all the way to bloody America for two days when she's just going to be coming back here soon, anyway."

"Pac, please? We wouldn't ask if it wasn't important."

"If it's that important, why not just tell me now?"

"Just trust us. It's something you'll want to hear in person."

"I'm looking at both of you right now. That's why these video calls exist, so that injured bastards such as myself don't have to fly across the fucking globe to talk to people."

"You are the most stubborn motherfucker I have ever met. Can't you just trust us on this?"

"Am I being stubborn or am I being reasonable?"

"Stubborn."

"Way too fucking stubborn."

"Ah, well, now I'm definitely not doing it."

It had taken a week for Elizabeth, Maxine, and Hangman to convince Pac to fly over and join them in the United States.

The moment that Maxine and Hangman had first told Elizabeth that they had big news to share with her and Pac, her mind had begun to run rampant with possibilities as to what it could be. However, every attempt that Elizabeth made to try and get an answer out of her friends was always met with the same response:

Not without Pac.

With most reasonable requests, Elizabeth could usually get her boyfriend to agree to them with the right amount of begging. Pac wasn't as cruel of a man as he liked to portray himself as, especially not in matters where she was concerned, but as Hangman and Maxine had said, he was stubborn.

Pac didn't like traveling to America when he didn't feel as though he absolutely had to. Since his most recent injury had occurred back at the end of July, nearly four months ago, he had only left the United Kingdom once and that was just so that he and Elizabeth could spend a few days with Sami. With All In occurring at Wembley Stadium, Pac had been able to support his girlfriend and their friends at the biggest event in pro wrestling history without having to travel too far.

Whatever news Hangman and Maxine had to share with them, Pac had continued to stubbornly argue, was surely something that they could tell him over a video chat. He had even gone as far as to suggest that Hangman and Maxine fly over to Newcastle with Elizabeth, though he did admit that wasn't really a good idea, seeing as it would involve more people traveling than if he himself just flew over.

Eventually, though, Pac had relented and agreed to join Elizabeth, Hangman, and Maxine in the states the day before that week's Dynamite taping. Elizabeth hadn't left him alone about it, pestering him day and night as she was filled with a burning curiosity (and, to some degree, fear) about what the big, important news that Hangman and Maxine had to share with them was.

Of course, Pac was curious about it, too. By the time he had finally agreed to just pack his bags and board the plane, Hangman and Maxine's announcement had been privately billed as larger than anything Tony Khan could ever come up with.

Whatever it was, it was so incredibly important that Maxine wasn't even willing to tell Elizabeth about it without having Pac there. As long as Pac had known Elizabeth, she and Maxine had told one another everything, so for Maxine to be holding out on something like this, it had to be big.

And really, that had been the deciding factor for Pac.

"So, what's your final guess?" Elizabeth asked, looking up at Pac as they made their way towards Hangman and Maxine's hotel room. They had just dropped Pac's bags off in theirs and, despite the way that they both tried to hide, it was obvious that they were both rather excited to figure out just what their friends had been hiding from them. "Think I'm settling on marriage. Max's been fidgeting with her hands too much lately, I think, almost like she's got something she wants to be wearing but she's not."

A solid assumption, one that would make sense. Marriage was certainly in Hangman and Maxine's future, but Pac didn't believe that was what they had to share with them at this time.

"It's a possibility, but I don't think that's it," Pac shook his head, his brows furrowing together slightly as he ran back through the likely list of options in his mind. "The pony signed a new deal recently, didn't he? I'm saying he's moving up, then, and taking a bigger role in the company. Perhaps nothing as extravagant as what his mates are involved in, but especially with his little deer friends stepping back more recently, I think it only makes sense for him to step up."

Another solid guess, but...

"If that were the case, it'd be all over the bloody dirtsheets, wouldn't it? I'd have at least heard about it backstage," Elizabeth protested. "Besides, Page isn't obligated to take a job just because of Matt and Nick."

"It's entirely plausible it's not something official yet, but something that Tony and Hangman have agreed upon. He's not bound to a job because of them, no, but it's only natural for Tony to want to keep talent that he can trust on standby. And if Tony wants someone reliable to help take the load off of The Bucks, well, there's no one better to fill that position than Hangman, is there?"

Elizabeth had to admit that his reasoning made sense.

"Hmm... Well, I'm still going with marriage, yeah? It's a lot more fun and exciting than Page becoming our boss, isn't it?"

"Oh, I'd much prefer that to be the case. Just don't believe Max could've kept that sort of news to herself for this long."

"Maybe not. But I still think it's the most logical answer, especially after Sandy and Matt tied the knot over the summer."

"I'd kill to see the look on Kenneth's face when he finds out, if that is the case."

Upon arriving at Hangman and Maxine's room, Pac knocked twice on the door. It was much different from the light, almost cheerful way that Elizabeth usually signaled her arrival at their friends' room but that only made Maxine appear that much quicker.

"Pac!" Maxine greeted him warmly with a smile and a hug. Pac returned the gesture, giving Maxine a soft pat on her shoulder as they separated. "It's so good to see you! How're you feeling?"

"Better.  You'll be pleased to know I don't believe my injury is fatal and that I'll be back on the road and giving your little pony hell again before he knows it."

Pac couldn't let the opportunity to tease Hangman pass him by, and as Maxine led the couple further into the hotel room, Hangman stood up from the office chair.

"You just got here and you're already thinking about bothering me? I'm flattered, really."

"As ya bloody should be."

"I've almost missed that grumpy little look on your bastard face."

"I just got here, and you're already flirting with me? If I've told ya once I've told ya a million times, mate, you're simply not my type."

"You're not exactly mine, either."

"Wouldn't want to be."

"Good."

The two then shared a side hug. It didn't last long, but it was still a much more affectionate gesture than they liked to act as though they were capable of. On top of that, it also brought a smile to both of their girlfriend's faces, which was as good of a reason as any to do something.

With all of the greetings out of the way, an excited sort of energy seemed to fill the room. Elizabeth seemed to be almost shaking in anticipation of finally hearing what Hangman and Maxine's surprise was, and though Pac did a much better job at hiding it behind his naturally neutral expression, he was just as eager to find out as she was.

"So? Are you going to tell us or what?" Elizabeth asked, her nervous gaze flickering between Hangman and Maxine.

"What's this big, important secret that ya just had to tell the two of us in person, huh?" Pac added, the slightest change in his tone giving his excitement away to the other couple.

For a moment, Hangman and Maxine were both silent, though the grins that they wore were perhaps the most genuine, euphoric expressions that either Pac or Elizabeth had ever seen on them. Hangman and Maxine looked to one another, then Hangman was the first to speak.

"Well, babe? Do you want to tell them, or should I?"

Pac and Elizabeth exchanged curious glances before turning their attention to Maxine as she spoke.

"You got to tell The Bucks and Sandy so I think it's only fair I get to tell Pac and Liz," Maxine gave a small, excited laugh. She looked at Pac for a long moment and then settled her gaze on Elizabeth.

The moment Maxine's hand rose to rest on her stomach, Elizabeth's mouth dropped. As soon as the next words fell from Maxine's lips, Pac's head shot around to look at Hangman.

"Guys... I'm pregnant!"

"No fucking way!" Elizabeth squealed as she promptly closed the distance between her and Maxine, enveloping her best friend in a tight embrace. She quickly caught herself, though, and apologized to Maxine as she loosened her hold just a bit in fear of potentially hurting the little one. "Max! Adam! What the fuck?! This is great!"

As the girls eagerly conversed, words flowing from both of their mouths at a surprising rate even for them, Pac once more took a step closer to Hangman. Hangman continued to grin so brightly and, in a rare occurrence, Pac wore a similarly ecstatic expression.

"Congratulations are in order, Adam. I'm happy for the two of you. Honest."

"Thanks, man. I still can't really believe it, you know?" Hangman beamed. "Like, we're having a fucking kid, dude! Me. And Max. We're going to be parents!"

Pac gave a short laugh and then shook his head as he looked up at the younger male. The feeling of pride and excitement that Pac felt so strongly in his chest at that very moment made it impossible for even him to deny the fact that, for all their differences, he and Hangman were indeed friends now, and good friends at that.

When Pac wrapped both of his arms around Hangman this time, Hangman didn't hesitate to do the same. This hug was much warmer and affectionate than the brief one they had shared just a few moments ago and it lasted longer, too.

One thing that those who truly knew Pac understood was that the man wasn't the best with vocalizing his emotions. Even in his relationship with Elizabeth, Pac was better at expressing himself through actions as opposed to words.

The hug he and Hangman shared in this moment said more than Pac ever could and Hangman perfectly understood every unspoken word. Rivalry be damned, Hangman couldn't (internally) deny his bond with Pac anymore than Pac could.

Once Hangman and Pac had shared their embrace and Maxine and Elizabeth had done the same, Pac and Elizabeth swapped places. Pac gave Maxine a more reserved (but still affectionate) hug this time while Elizabeth hugged Hangman more tightly than she had hugged Maxine, to the point that Hangman coughed then laughed out, "Jesus, Liz!"

With the hugging all out of their system, the four were able to take a step back and properly talk about the amazing news that Hangman and Maxine had shared.

"So when's the little one due? And when will you know what you're having?" Elizabeth's excitement was obvious in her voice.

"They'll be here in June, but we won't know what they are for sure for another few weeks," Maxine replied. "I'm hoping we have a little baby boy, but Adam's hoping for a girl."

"I mean, as long as they're happy and healthy, it doesn't really matter what they are. I just think a little girl could be cool, you know? A real badass, like her mother," Hangman playfully nudged Maxine's shoulder with his fist, though he barely touched her.

"Or a sweet little boy with his daddy's hair and attitude. I could have him spoiled rotten," Maxine said whimsically. "A little girl would be so cute too, though..."

"I can't believe it. My best friends are having a fucking baby. I'm going to be an aunt," Elizabeth was on cloud nine at the moment and rightfully so. She looked down at Maxine's stomach for a moment before looking back up at the happy couple. "Really, I don't care what they are, either. I'm just so incredibly excited to meet them."

"Regardless of sex, I'm letting both of you know right now that your child will be receiving a tiny Newcastle United Football Club jersey. I don't trust either of you silly Americans to teach that baby right from wrong when it comes to sports, so I suppose such a thing will fall into my lap," Pac spoke up, bringing a laugh from both Hangman and Maxine. "There's no need to thank me. I'm simply going to do what's right."

"You know we call it soccer here in the states, right? You're going to confuse the poor kid!" Hangman playfully protested. "What if they want to try out for the soccer team to be like their Uncle Pac but tell the school they want to play football?"

"Ah, give your child more credit than that! They'll be smart enough to voice the distinction, if anyone tries to put them in that ridiculous American sport that everyone in this country seems so fond of. You may not be able to easily switch between 'football' and 'soccer', but your child will have Max's genes as well. I believe in them."

"How the fuck did this turn into a jab at me? What'd I do?" Hangman scoffed, a sound that came out as more of a laugh than anything.

"Then it would be the fault of the education system, if your child started playing American football."

"Well... I mean, it's possible they'd want to, anyway, no matter what you could say or do."

Pac raised a hand to hold over his chest. He wore a serious, furrowed-brow expression as he slowly (and only slightly dramatically) shifted his gaze from Hangman to Maxine and then back to Hangman.

"Little bugger's not even been born yet and you've already planted the seeds for the most devious heel turn in history. I can't decide if I'm impressed or offended."

"I think you should be flattered. I mean, out of everyone they could turn on, you're leading the competition. Baby's first heel turn is a big deal," Maxine chimed in. "Think about it. If they turned heel on Liz, that'd be too predictable. She's too nice. But to do it on you..."

While Elizabeth pouted in protest of being too nice, Pac grew silent for another moment.

"You're right," He finally conceded. "It's fucking brilliant."

"Exactly. And they can make sure they punctuate it with one of those Superkicks that Nick is so insistent on teaching them as soon as they're out of the womb," Maxine said with a laugh.

Hangman quickly added, "He's upset that the baby's not being born in July, because that's his birthday month, and he claims he has to be the first to teach them a move because of it. You know, because it's not like I was born in July or anything, and my birthday definitely isn't the day before his."

"Isn't Nick older than you, though?" Elizabeth pointed out. Turning to Pac, she asked, "Didn't Fenix say he and Nick were the same age?"

"Close. Nick's got a year on him, if I remember correctly. You're thinking of Penta and Matthew, who are the same age," Pac corrected.

"That makes— Wait, speaking of The Bucks, you guys said you'd already told them and Sandy about this, right? Does anyone else know?" As soon as Elizabeth remembered that, she had to ask about it.

"Just our parents," Hangman replied as he wrapped an arm around Maxine's shoulders, bringing her closer to his side.

"To be honest, we wanted to tell you guys before we did Sandy, Matt, and Nick," Maxine admitted as she pressed closer to Hangman, one of her arms sneaking around his back so she could rest her hand on his hip. "That's why we were so insistent about getting you to fly over here, Pac."

Pac wasn't the sort of man who felt much embarrassment, but realizing that he and Elizabeth very well could have been the first to know about Hangman and Maxine's child, had Pac not been so stubborn, was enough to make even the Bastard's face flush a bit with awkwardness and guilt.

"I'd have been here immediately, had I known that this is what you wanted to tell us. I shouldn't have been so stubborn. I'm sorry."

A genuine apology, one that both Hangman and Maxine appreciated even if they neither felt it was necessary. They hadn't expected Pac to agree to joining them all in the United States the first time they asked but similarly, they hadn't expected him to take a whole week.

"Well, we knew you'd cave eventually, especially with Liz on your case about," Hangman said with a dismissive laugh. "And listen, we really hadn't planned on telling anyone until after you guys, seriously, but Matt..."

When Hangman trailed off, Maxine shot him a look. "You can't blame Matt for it. It's not his fault you were showing him a video on your phone when I texted you after my doctor's appointment."

"Wait, of course. That's why you left early last week," Then suddenly, it was as if all of the pieces were falling into place in Elizabeth's mind. "And if Matt knew, Sandy had to, too, and you couldn't leave Nick out of it, either."

"Okay, so, Matt didn't know at first, but he was really suspicious after he saw Max talking about a couple of the tests they had run on her. Then, before I could get my phone out of his hand, she'd sent another text with the little, like, baby emojis and some hearts. There wasn't anything I could do at that point. I had to tell him," Hangman explained. "Thankfully, we were so close to home last week that it wasn't hard for us to meet back up with Max after that."

"The most impressive part was the fact that Matt didn't spoil the news before we got to tell Sandy and Nick about it. In all the years I've known him, he's never been the best at keeping secrets," Maxine had to give credit where it was due. "He only had to wait a few hours to be able to talk about it, though. Do you know how hard it's been for me to not tell you about this, Liz?"

It had likely been one of the most difficult things that Maxine had done since her relationship with Hangman had begun.

"I haven't made it any easier on you, pestering you non-stop about it," Elizabeth laughed, her smile so bright full of genuine happiness. "But you know what? I'm glad that you were able to keep this from me, actually."

Elizabeth looked up at her boyfriend and the softness on his typically hardened face warmed her heart. She took one of Pac's hands into hers and squeezed it gently, grateful that he was there and that they were able to share this special moment with their dear friends.

"Unfortunately, we have some other news that you're not going to like as much, Liz," When Hangman spoke up, he attracted all of their attention once again. The small frown on his face surely wasn't a good sign. "When we talk to Tony about everything, we're going to see how he'd feel about Max taking some time off. Not just near the end of her pregnancy, but honestly... Soon."

It made sense. Even though AEW typically only ran twice a week (when there wasn't a pay-per-view), traveling across the country wasn't easy on the body. Hell, with as much as Elizabeth had flown between the United States and the United Kingdom that year to try and spend as much time with Pac as possible, she certainly understood how strenuous all the flying and driving could be.

"That's the right decision to make. I mean, I'm going to fucking miss you like crazy, of course I am, but I get it. You've got to do what's best for you and the baby and that does not involve running yourself into the ground before they get here," Elizabeth said to Maxine. She squeezed Pac's hand once more before taking one of Maxine's instead. "I'm going to miss you like hell, though."

"You're welcome to come by anytime you like," Maxine grinned as Elizabeth released her hand. "Besides, I think Adam still wants to try and get his win back for the last time you beat his ass in Mario Kart."

"Okay, first of all, she didn't beat my ass–" Hangman objected.

"I knew when you lost that it'd eat you alive. You've always been a bit of a sore loser when it comes to racing games. It's okay. I don't blame you, mate," Elizabeth said coolly. "Just be glad I'm not the type to gloat."

Looking over her shoulder, Elizabeth locked eyes with Pac. Feigning innocence, Pac crossed his arms over his chest and scoffed. "I don't understand why you're looking at me when you say that."

"I don't know, why would I do something like that? It's not as if the game of Smash Bros. we played a couple weeks ago had a dusty finish that you've gloated about since then."

A smug smirk came to Pac's lips as he looked down at Elizabeth for a moment before turning to Hangman and Maxine. "Don't let her fool you. She's simply upset that she's not the better Donkey Kong player out of the two of us, a match that only happened, might I add, because she was so incredibly confident she could win?"

"You're an ass," Elizabeth pouted, glaring up at him without any real venom in her eyes. "And a fucking cheater, if I've ever seen one."

"Do you hear this? She's resorted to lying, to try and make herself feel better. Tragic," Pac spoke with mock disappointment. "I expected more from you, Elizabeth."

"Sounds to me like she's become an even worse loser than I could ever be," Hangman remarked cheerfully. "So I'll gladly take my rematch whenever it's most convenient for you, Liz."

"Why don't we all pile up here for the night?" Maxine suggested. "I know Liz doesn't go anywhere without her Switch and I keep my controller in my travel bag, just in case. We should have enough controllers for the four of us."

"I haven't had a chance to play through Mario Wonder yet and it's got four player co-op, if we want to play some of that after Mario Kart," Elizabeth suggested, suddenly unbothered by the way her boyfriend continued to look down at her with a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Assuming that Page doesn't refuse to play with me anymore after I beat him again."

"You're going to feel really silly for saying that when I beat you tonight, Liz. Really silly."

"At least I can accept that I'm only average at racing games. I'm not the best of the four of us at that sort of thing and I'll admit that. Max gets that title," Elizabeth, naturally, was quick to put her best friend over. "You're worse than I am, though."

"It's not fair to compare any of us to Max at Mario Kart because she always cheats," Hangman protested. "Always. Even when it's just the two of us playing, she always wins. Every. Single. Time."

"Oh, so now I cheat, too?" Maxine feigned offense at Hangman's comment. "What the fuck, Adam?"

"I'm just saying, I've never met anyone who gets as many red shells as you do. It's a little suspicious," Hangman said nonchalantly. "That's all."

Pac took the opportunity to extend a hand towards Maxine. "If you're willing to share with me your hackers ways, I'll teach you everything I know as well."

"You know what? I like the way you think, Bastard," Maxine smirked and placed her hand on Pac's, shaking it as though they had just sealed the most important business deal of her life. "We should do just that."

"... They're teaming up against us," Hangman's tone switched quickly. "What the hell?"

"Well, we're fucked now, obviously. They'll be unstoppable," Elizabeth raised her arms in defeat. "There's nothing we can do."

Hangman pondered the situation for a moment before asking, "Truce?"

"Truce," Elizabeth reluctantly agreed.

And so, for the remainder of the night, Pac, Hangman, Elizabeth, and Maxine enjoyed their time together. They weren't quite sure when they would be able to spend time like this again, with all four of them on the road at once. Between Pac's injury and Maxine's pregnancy, Hangman and Elizabeth would soon be on their own backstage at AEW events. However, even with the temporary separation looming over the group of friends, it wasn't anything that brought sadness to them.

After all, come the summer, Hangman and Maxine would be welcoming an adorable bundle of joy into the world that would make all of their lives so much brighter. Above all else, that was the most important (and exciting) news that Pac and Elizabeth could've ever received.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 147 20
Series of one-shot stories featuring Pentagon Jr. from AAA, All Elite Wrestling, and various other promotions. This collection is complete Want more...
5.3K 88 14
All of my fics for Eddie Kingston which includes fluff, smut, and all of that stuff!
12.5K 211 15
Series of one-shot stories featuring Adam "Hangman" Page from All Elite Wrestling. Most of these were written prior to AEW being formed so feature R...
2.6K 167 74
Series of one-shot stories featuring EVIL from....sigh.....Bullet Club in New Japan Pro Wrestling. This collection is now complete.