Poe's Nightmares

Oleh LadyEckland

Step into the shadowy realm of "Poe's Nightmares," a mesmerizing collection of short stories and poetry penne... Lebih Banyak

**Foreword: The Shadowed Quill - Edgar Allan Poe and His Legacy**
The Solicitors Shadow
Slumber In The Morgue
The Beckoning Darkness
The Pendulum's Secret
Nevermore
The Whisperering Heads, A Tale Of The Macarbe
The Lighthouse Keeper's Echo: A Tale of Haunting Whispers and Restless Spirits
The Curse Of Fellwinter
The Phantoms Hall
Confessions Of A Murderer
The Scratching
The Masquerade Of The Red Death
The Tell-Tale Heartbeat
The Oval Portraits Curse
When Falls The Coldest Night
The Ravens Shadow
Opiums Lament
The Ghost At The Window
The Portrait Of Eliza Grey
The Tell-Tale Scar
The Black Cat
The Unveiling of the Van der Aart Legacy
Ghostly Touch
The Portrait Of Sorrows
The Duchess Of Decay
The Anatomy Of Shadows
The Gallery Of Wychwoods Horrors
The Clockmakers Apprentice
The Phantom Coach
The Lurker At The Threshold
The Masquerade Of My Love
The Shadowed Manor
The Cosmic Horrors I Witnessed
The Grave Robbers
The Dead Keep A Vengeful Watch
The Midnight Visitor
The Tell Tale Head
The Haunting Of Eliza Vaughn (inspired by the poem Annabel)
A Requiem For Seraphina (inspired by Poes Story Berenice)
The Tell-Tale Heart Of Vengeance
The Complex Labyrinth Of The Heart
The Whispering Walls
Obsessive Torment
Paranoid
Whisper's From The Abyss
The Masquerade Of Lady Elara

Serenade Of Shadows

2 1 0
Oleh LadyEckland

Within the grim walls of an ancient mansion, where the ivy clung as if to strangle the very stones it adorned, there dwelled a man of noble lineage and broken spirit. His name was Alistair Dunraven, and he was the last of his line. Once, his heart had been alight with the radiant love of a woman named Elenore, whose beauty was such that the flowers seemed to wither in envy of her bloom. But fate, with her cruel shears, had snipped the thread of Elenore's life, leaving Alistair to wander the echoing halls of his inheritance, a ghost among the living.

One evening, as twilight embraced the world in its indigo shroud, Alistair sat in the cavernous library, poring over eldritch tomes that whispered of forbidden knowledge. His friends, Edgar and William, stood at the threshold, their faces etched with concern.

"Must you persist in this madness, Alistair?" Edgar implored, his voice thick with worry. "To dabble in such dark arts is to invite a doom most dire."

William nodded, his hand resting upon the hilt of his walking stick. "What's dead should stay dead, old friend. It is the way of things. Elenore is gone, and no sorcery can bring back the warmth of her touch."

Alistair's gaze remained fixed upon the ancient pages, his voice a mere whisper. "You do not understand the hollowness that consumes me. Without her, I am but a wraith. I must attempt the incantation. I must see her face once more."

That night, as the moon clawed its way through the tangle of clouds, Alistair prepared the ritual. In the center of a chalk-drawn pentagram, he placed the most cherished of possessions—a lock of Elenore's golden hair, a ribbon she had worn, and a portrait of them together. Around the pentagram, candles flickered, casting dancing shadows upon the walls.

The incantation began, a sonorous chant that seemed to slither through the air. The candles blazed higher, and the air grew thick with the scent of myrrh and brimstone. A gust of wind howled through the chamber, extinguishing the flames, plunging the room into darkness. Then, a silence so profound it roared in Alistair's ears.

A voice, soft and melodic, broke the stillness. "Alistair... why have you summoned me?"

It was Elenore's voice, yet it carried the chill of the grave. Alistair's heart thundered in his chest as he fumbled for the matches, his hands shaking. When he finally managed to light a candle, he beheld the figure before him.

She was like Elenore, yet not. Her eyes were pools of inky darkness, her skin pale as the underbelly of a fish. A smile curled her lips, but it was a grotesque mockery of the warmth she once possessed.

"Elenore, is it truly you?" Alistair stepped forward, yearning and terror warring within him.

The figure tilted her head, considering him. "I am what you called forth. I wear her face, speak with her voice, but I am not the woman you loved. She is gone, Alistair," the figure intoned, its voice a sinister echo of Elenore's dulcet tones. "What remains is but a shadow, a remnant twisted by the realms beyond your comprehension."

Alistair's heart wrenched with the torment of hope extinguished. His hands trembled as he reached out, desperate to find a spark of his beloved within this specter. "Then what are you? What cruel jest is this that you wear her visage and speak with her tongue?"

The apparition glided closer, her movements serpentine and unnaturally fluid. "I am a revenant of her soul, brought back by your incantations and the power of your grief. But know this, mortal—there is a price for tearing the veil between life and death."

Edgar and William, who had silently followed their friend into the depths of his madness, stood paralyzed at the doorway, witnessing the horror unfold. "Alistair, you must banish this demon!" Edgar cried out, his voice choked with fear.

But Alistair's eyes were fixed upon the phantasm of Elenore, his love and desperation rendering him deaf to the pleas of his friends. "Tell me the price," he whispered. "I will pay it, if only to gaze upon her face once more."

The figure's lips twisted into a malevolent grin. "The price is your soul, Alistair. Bind yourself to me, and I shall grant you the illusion of her company until your dying day. Refuse, and I will return to the abyss, taking all memory of her with me."

The room grew colder, the shadows stretching across the walls like grasping fingers. Alistair's mind raced, torn between the salvation of his eternal soul and the abyssal pit of loss that awaited him should he resist. "And if I consent, what then becomes of Elenore's spirit?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

"She is lost to you either way," the creature hissed. "But with your soul in my keeping, you will not care."

Alistair's gaze fell upon the portrait of himself and Elenore, the happiness in their painted smiles a stark contrast to the grotesque scene before him. The truth clawed at his heart; the Elenore he loved was beyond reach, her essence dissolved into the infinite. What stood before him was a hollow mimicry, a trap for the unwary heart.

With a shuddering breath, he found the strength that had eluded him. "No," Alistair declared, his voice steady. "I will not damn myself for a lie. Be gone, specter!"

The figure's eyes blazed with fury, and the air crackled with an unseen energy. "Fool!" it shrieked. "Then you shall have oblivion!"

The candles snuffed out as if by a great breath, and darkness enveloped the room once more. Alistair felt the icy grip of the creature upon him, and the world spun into chaos. Edgar and William rushed forward, chanting prayers and incantations, their words weaving a protective barrier around their friend.

When light finally returned, the creature was gone, and with it, the lingering essence of Elenore. The price had been exacted, not in the form of Alistair's soul, but in the forfeiture of allmemories of his beloved. Alistair stood in the center of the pentagram, a man hollowed out from within, his very history with Elenore excised from his mind as if she had never been.

Edgar and William approached their friend cautiously, their eyes wide with a tumult of relief and dread. Alistair looked upon them, his confusion evident. "Who are you?" he muttered, his voice hollow. "And why does my heart feel as though it has been cleaved in twain?"

Edgar placed a hand on Alistair's shoulder, his expression somber. "We are your friends," he said gently. "Edgar and William. You have been through a terrible ordeal, but it is over now."

William surveyed the room, the remnants of the ritual scattered and the air still heavy with the scent of otherworldly incense. "Alistair, you've been meddling with powers beyond our ken. It is a blessing that you are still with us, though the cost has been dire."

Alistair's gaze drifted to the portrait, his brow furrowed in a futile attempt to remember. "There is a sorrow in me, a shadow where light should be. What have I done?"

"You sought to bring back one who was lost," Edgar replied, his voice tinged with sadness. "But some thresholds are not meant to be crossed. It is a lesson dearly bought, but you are still here, still yourself. And we will help you rebuild, my friend."

The three men stood in the silence of the library, the weight of their ordeal pressing upon them. Alistair's eyes lingered on the empty spaces of his memory, the void where love once blossomed. He felt the loss, an echo of an echo, but could not grasp its source.

In the days that followed, Alistair Dunraven put away the dark tomes and sealed the room of incantations. His friends remained by his side, guiding him back to the realm of the living. Yet, in the quiet moments, when the wind whispered through the ivy, he would pause and wonder at the ache in his heart, a mystery unsolved.

And so, Alistair lived out his days, a man shaped by a love he could no longer recall and a darkness he would never again invoke. The mansion stood, a sentinel to his tale, a tale of lost love and the lengths to which one might go to reclaim it—only to find that some doors, once opened, may lead to shadows that are best left undisturbed.

As twilight descended upon the forsaken mansion, Alistair found himself drawn to the grand hearth in the solitary confines of his study. He watched, entranced, as the flames danced and crackled, casting a warm glow that seemed to ward off the encroaching chill of the night. The fire's light played upon his features, illuminating a countenance etched with the invisible scars of his recent tribulations.

The room, filled with the soft creaks and groans of the old house settling, wrapped Alistair in a cloak of solitude. He had grown accustomed to these quiet hours, where the only companion to his thoughts was the flickering of the fire.

But as the flames swayed and reached upwards, a sudden draft swept through the room like a silent specter. One by one, the candles that bathed the chamber in their gentle golden hue sputtered and died, their wisps of smoke rising to join the shadows that now crept from the corners of the room.

Alistair's heart seized as the last of the light was swallowed by darkness, the comforting crackle of the hearth extinguished in an instant. The room plummeted into an unnatural cold, a cold that seemed to seep into his very bones.

Then, from the blackness that enveloped him, a voice emerged—the voice that had once promised the illusion of love's return, now tinged with an icy malevolence that made his blood run cold.

"Alistair..."

It was a whisper, a mere breath upon the air, yet it filled the room with its presence. Alistair's breath caught in his throat; he knew this voice, a voice that had once worn the sweet tones of Elenore's. A voice that now bore the undeniable truth of his folly.

He did not speak, did not dare to move. The darkness seemed to press against his very soul, a reminder of the pact he had narrowly avoided, the entity he had sought to banish.

"Alistair... did you think I would leave so easily?"

The words hung in the air, a sentence unfinished but understood. Though he had rejected the creature's bargain, the shadow of what he had invoked lingered, a constant reminder of the line he had crossed and the price of his heart's unyielding desire.

A chill ran down Alistair's spine as he sat paralyzed, the weight of an unseen gaze upon him. The phantasm was still there, an unbidden guest in the darkness, a specter of lost love that refused to be forgotten.

And there, in the suffocating blackness of his ancestral home, Alistair Dunraven remained—alone, yet forever accompanied by the echo of a voice that was not Elenore's, a whisper in the dark that promised an end to solitude at the cost of his very soul.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1.3K 905 44
In the small town of Ravenwood, where the secrets of the past intertwine with the present, strange things continue to unfold. Hazel Fowler's diary, a...
3 3 6
Step into the abyss with "Slasher: Echoes of Terror," the definitive collection of slasher stories that will haunt your dreams and ignite your darkes...
7.1K 931 169
A collection of deliciously, dark poems. #3 in Poetry - 9/6/18 I hope you enjoy and any time taken to read, is greatly appreciated and if you wanted...
26 8 25
Get ready to be spooked with the second volume of short and easy to read ghost stories compiled and written by Glenn Riley. These tales will send shi...