ššššœš¤ š“šØ š˜šØš®

By xoxo_asgv

[šššš«š­ š…šØš®š«]: Join Elena and Jake on journey around Los Angeles no one has seen so far, where they bat... More

š š‘ šŽ š‹ šŽ š† š” š„
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ] š“š‡š„ šš‡šŽš„ššˆš— š„š…š…š„š‚š“
š–€ š–˜ š–š š–— š–• š–Š š–—: š–š š–“ š–‰ š–Š š–— š–Œ š–— š–” š–š š–“ š–‰
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ] š“š‡š„ (š”š-)šˆšš•šˆš“š„šƒ š†š”š„š’š“š’
š•ø š–” š–” š–“: š–‰ š–Š š–† š–‘ š–Š š–—
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ‘] šš„šˆš†š‡ššŽš‘š’
š–€ š–˜ š–š š–— š–• š–Š š–—: š–’ š–ž š–’ š–” š–š š–˜ š–Š
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ’] š…ššˆ&š‚šˆš€ š‚šŽšš…š‘šŽšš“š€š“šˆšŽš
š•ø š–” š–” š–“: š–™ š–Š š–‰ š–‰ š–ž
š–€ š–˜ š–š š–— š–• š–Š š–—: š–’ š–” š–’ š–’ š–ž
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ”] š“š‡š„ šš„š“
š•ø š–” š–” š–“: š–™ š–† š– š–Ž
š“š‡š„ š…šˆšš€š‹ šŽš… š’š„š€š’šŽš šŽšš„: š“š‡š„ šŒš„š’š’š€š†š„
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ] š…š‘šˆš„ššƒš’
š–€ š–˜ š–š š–— š–• š–Š š–—: š–™š–œš–Žš–“š–š–‘š–Š, š–™š–œš–Žš–“š–š–‘š–Š š–‘š–Žš–™š–™š–‘š–Š š–’š–”š–šš–˜š–Š
[š’šŸ; š„šŸ] š“š‡š„ šŒš„š„š“šˆšš† šˆš šƒš”š’šŠš–šŽšŽšƒ

[š’šŸ; š„šŸ“] š“š‡š„ š’š‡š€šƒšŽš–š’ šŽš… šš‘šˆš’šŽš

368 62 1.8K
By xoxo_asgv

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME..."

These words slipped from my lips, mingling with a soft gasp, as I descended the stairs in our house to the ground floor...

Luka: I wish, Sunshine - He sighed, his hand slipping on the stair railing - Asshole's just too damn smooth and confident in everything he does.

Jasmine: Okay, but remember when Lucy spilled the tea about Elena? - I glanced at him - She straight-up said Elena doesn't even notice guys, especially not those tryhards thirsty for her attention.

Luka: But the thing with Louis is, he's not out here chasing after Elena's attention, and that's the issue - He said, trailing me into the kitchen - He doesn't flirt with her, didn't you notice? No flowers, no sweet talk. He just does his things around her, avoiding any reasons of getting pushed away Lucy told us about.

Jasmine: But the thing is, Elena herself made it clear she's not looking to be with anyone, Luka - I emphasized, nudging the door to the kitchen open - Nick could try all he wants, but he's not changing her mind. She's determined, and this time it's different from anything we've seen before.

Luka: I know, and honestly, I'm not up for babysitting Elena, because it seems like she's got more common sense than all of us combined...

With a gentle bounce, I pushed open the door, Luka following closely behind me as I made my way through the threshold and headed straight for the kitchen island...

Luka: Yeah, but you know what I mean. That jerk throws his weight around every chance he gets - He started mimicking Nick's tone - Oh, hi there. I'm big, super-powerful Nick Louis, Elena's one true friend who's never made a single mistake that could hurt her so, you can suck my dick, McKing.

Jasmine: Why even care about his opinion? - I grabbed our dry coffee mugs from the cupboard - Just let him be and ignore him. That way, he won't have the chance to show off, and you won't be so pissed off, Luka.

Luka: So, when that jerk throws down the gauntlet, I'm just supposed to ignore it? - He placed his hand over his heart, feigning offense, which made me chuckle - Did he puke his guts out with Elena in some random bushes after the party? Nope. Did he have private pajama parties with her, watching cartoons? Nope. Did he get a friendship bracelet from her?

Jasmine: What brac...

His hand quickly emerged from his pocket, swinging right in front of my face so swiftly that I instinctively took a step back. Chuckling softly, I noticed a black bracelet adorned with "E&L" and small gold, flat teddy bears on his wrist, immediately melting my heart. It reminded me of a similar one I had seen on Elena's wrist a few times before...

Luka: Another nope - He emphasized firmly, withdrawing his hand - So, he's shit, not her friend.

Jasmine: Someone here jealous of his gossip bestie? - I chuckled, placing the mugs by the espresso machine.

Luka: Oh, come on, aren't you pissed? - He groaned - Yesterday, that jerk appeared into her house out of nowhere and acted like he's the man Elena's been waiting for. He started looking down on both of us, and when I was alone with him in her bedroom, he made it pretty clear what he thinks about us.

Jasmine: Well, I was irritated, but I trust Elena. I'm sure she'd never replace us - I nodded, preparing the coffees for us - Plus, she wouldn't let a situation like with Eric happen again. I believe in Elena's healing process, and I'm confident she won't let any asshole manipulate her again.

Luka: Sweet bullshit talking, you're pissed too.

Jasmine: I'm telling you, I was! - I laughed in powerlessness - But what are you afraid of? That Nick showed up and now Elena will toss us aside? Come on, she doesn't even pay attention to Nick when he's around. Didn't you notice yesterday? She was totally indifferent to his presence.

Luka: But I wasn't - He crossed his arms.

Jasmine: Oh, come on - I laughed again, seeing his totally offended facial expression - No one's gonna replace you in Elena's life. And if you don't want to take my word for it, just ask her yourself.

Luka: I'm not a crybaby.

Jasmine: Oh, really? - I smirked, poking his arm - Isn't it you who's been gossiping with me about Nick since we woke up?

Luka: I could've talked to you yesterday, but you were off getting wasted with Elena, downing wine like there's no tomorrow - He said, looking annoyed.

Jasmine: That's not true! - I laughed - I wasn't that drunk.

Luka: When I finally tried to drag you to the car, you hit my head with the frying pan, fuck knows where you got that, kicked me in the balls and threatened to call your fiancé to kill me for harassing you.

Jasmine: See? At least you can be reassured about my absolute loyalty to you - I chuckled, attempting to embrace him, but he put his hand on my forehead, pushing me away - Grouch - I slapped his hand away, turning to the kitchen island again.

Luka: But getting back to the point - He sighed, crossing his arms again - He's aware that Jake's lurking around, and even though, he wants to brush him off as well, Sunshine. And the worst part is, Elena confirmed his words.

Jasmine: That Nick was her first true love, right? - I turned on the machine.

Luka: Yeah - He nodded - You know, him spewing that bullshit is one thing, but hearing Elena say even therapists told her Nick was the only guy who didn't hurt her is really something. I'm just glad he left before hearing that from Elena; his ego would've skyrocketed even more.

Jasmine: But again, why do you care? - I shrugged - I mean, I went through my first crush-love with Justin Bieber, convinced he was the only man who could make me happy even though he had no idea about my existence. And what? I ended up marrying a clown. Who really cares about first love anyway?

Luka: Old love won't be forgotten, especially when there are unresolved issues.

Jasmine: And here's the thing, if Elena was hung up on Nick all this time, she'd never be happy with Jake - I pointed the spoon at him - And you mentioned Elena admitted that Jake was her epic love. She has no reason to lie now. I trust her honesty, and if she said she loved Jake, she loved him. End of story. No room for Nick.

Luka: There was no room for Nick, Sunshine - He emphasized - But now, Elena's single, and he's showing some pretty keen interest in what he lost.

Jasmine: But Elena's not interested - I shrugged again - I was watching her closely yesterday, Luka. No emotions, no lust, no desire, no affection towards him whatsoever. She looked at him, and there was absolutely nothing. No spark, no 'I've always loved you, let's be together now that we have the chance - I air-quoted with my fingers as the machine started filling the mugs with coffee - Honestly, Nick didn't seem pushy either, and he gives off a different vibe than Eric.

Luka: He's different from Eric because his focus is on protecting Elena, and somehow, I can believe it, especially since he's only connected to Elena, unlike Eric, who seemed to be this whole mockery for Jake's sake - He nodded - Like I mentioned, Nick is aware of Jake's presence and their history together, and let's just say he's not Jake's biggest fan.

Jasmine: How bad? - I grimaced.

Luka: Typical, in his eyes, Jake's the one who wrecked Elena, and he even swore he'd go to any lengths to ensure her heart doesn't fall into the wrong hands again - He sighed - He made a big deal about how he's never made any mistakes in his life, mocking Jake and sort of challenging him. He even told me to pass on the message to Jake that he won't be making any mistakes in the future either, especially not when it comes to Elena.

Jasmine: So, him checking if the security system in her house meets today's standards was just an excuse to rub your nose?

Luka: Accident - He nodded - He definitely didn't expect either of us to be in her house, so I'm sure he would have stayed longer if it weren't for us, hiding behind the excuse of not checking, but already changing these 'poor and cute' security systems of Jake to these 'CIA-professional' ones - He emphasized, smirking sarcastically.

Jake: That eager-beaver newbie just warms my heart - His soft smirk echoed behind - Can't wait for his hacky-dreams to crash and burn faster than his HQ.

At the sound of his voice, Luka and I jumped in terror, swiftly turning around. I instinctively grabbed my chest and began scanning the kitchen anxiously...

And here he was...

Jake, casually chilling out by the table, a coffee mug nearby, sitting comfortably with his legs crossed on the table. His head was lowered as he focused on filing his nails with my nail file, as if it were the most natural thing in the world...

Jasmine: Are you insane? - I grumbled, swallowing - You scared me!

Luka: How did you... - He shook his head in disbelief, squinting and pointing towards Jake - No, how long have you...

Jake: Long enough to figure out you need better soundproofing - He quipped nonchalantly, glancing at his nails - Seriously though, your shower squeaks hitting high notes like Ariana Grande's kettle is something your future kids might get used to, but spare them the sound of your shovels digging into their mother unless you want to greet a social worker knocking on your door, called by your kids themselves, due to domestic violence concerns.

Jasmine: And how much have you... - I trailed off, gesturing with my finger between me and Luka.

Jake: Heard? - He smirked, blowing on his nails before pausing - More than enough to realize that enduring my initial ears bleeding was worth it in the end.

He casually tossed the nailfile to me before sending a sly wink and smirk as he strolled toward the door.
As the silence settled between Luka and me, it was interrupted only by Jake's casual whistle in the living room until the sound of the main door echoing confirmed his departure from our house...

Only then did Luka and I manage to turn our heads toward each other, our widened and shocked eyes meeting...

Jasmine: How bad? - I grimaced.

Luka: Well, maybe we oughta think about beefing up the soundproofing around here, Sunshine.

He raised his eyebrows, scratched his head, and chuckled nervously, prompting a sigh from me as I touched my forehead in exasperation...

Emery: You literally smashed his face.

Rose: I didn't know he was there! - She shouted in frustration, kneeling before the door - But you know what? If I had the chance to do it again, I'd do it twice as hard. Now, shut the fuck up and hand me that hammer.

Chuckling in resignation, I shook my head and reached for the hammer from her—where she got it, fuck knows—from the HandyMan's box. After a moment of rummaging, I handed her the hammer...

Without diverting her attention from the door, she snatched it from my hand and resumed her task of unlocking the door to access Nick's room in his absence, aiming to get back her laptop. It seemed Nick had left the key in the lock, preventing her from entering from her side...

Technically, I could have entered his room and tried to talk to him, but since he didn't respond to my knocking, I assumed he was already gone...

During my routine jog, I made a detour to visit Rose, only to find her sitting in front of the door, surrounded by an array of tools, diligently working on the lock...

Emery: Why can't you just wait for him to come back, give me a call, so I'll go talk to him?

Rose: Watch me extend an olive branch to that son of the bitch - She muttered, sliding the flat edge of the screwdriver into the lock and taking aim with the hammer - If he wants a war, he's got one.

Emery: I think I'm starting to become the biggest fan of your hot roommates' romance - I smirked.

Rose: Feel free, keep spewing that bullshit - She nodded impassively - Only then will I vomit my guts out into this lock, giving me a chance to finally get in there.

Emery: From hate to love, one step - I teased.

Rose: I thought you were my friend - She looked at me, her eyes filled with anger - Is that the catastrophic future you're wishing for me?

Emery: You can't deny he's hot.

Rose: Do you remember my ex-tinder date?

Emery: That jerk is seriously unforgettable - I raised my eyebrows - He's definitely going to haunt my nightmares for the next few decades.

Rose: Then, imagine he had a cat.

Emery: Had he? - I narrowed my eyes.

Rose: Fuck knows, no one cares - She waved her hand - Just imagine it.

Emery: Okay, and?

Rose: Now, imagine the cat eat the gold fish.

Emery: Brutal - I smirked.

Rose: ...And then, shit that fish out after digestion.

Emery: Ew.

Rose: And then, imagine a fly landing on that shit to eat that, only to end up making a shit of its own, and the frass born on the base of it is what we call "Nick fucking Louis".

Emery: You're terrible - I laughed with a mixture of disgust - But I'm telling you, he's hot.

Rose: The longer you're here, the more I'm convinced it's you who needs glasses, not Ezra - She remarked, causing her to shiver in disgust - Your taste is fucked up.

Then, she struck the hammer against the end of the screwdriver, and somehow, it worked; the sharp end penetrated deeper into the lock...

Rose: Ha! - She exclaimed triumphantly, leaping to her feet and seizing the screwdriver in her hands - And what about that, Louis?

Emery: You will fuck up that lock, and only then you'll have a real problem - I sighed in annoyance as I watched her attempt to turn the lock with the screwdriver.

Rose: "...Only then you'll have a real problem..." - She mocked my tone with irritation, clenching her teeth as she tried to turn the screwdriver - Thank you, your Majesty, for such valuable advice. However, as you can see, I'm doing just fine, so zip it with the bullshit and...

As she turned the screwdriver harder, the loud crack of metal breaking echoed around us. She stumbled in surprise, taking an uncomfortable step to the side, and softly bounced against the door, struggling to regain her balance...

Emery: You broke it, didn't you? - I peeked at her through my fingers covering my face.

Rose: Who the hell crafts such cheap shit? - She muttered angrily, holding up the broken screwdriver.

Directing my gaze at the lock, I immediately noticed the sharp end still embedded within it, untouched and unturned. Clearly, it hadn't been rotated enough to open the door...

Emery: It's stuck.

Rose: Fuck, not stuck - She muttered, gripping the metal end lodged in the door - If it went in, it'll come out.

She gave it her all, exhaling a deep, loud moan through her teeth as she attempted to turn the metal part out of the lock, but it didn't even budge...

Yup, stuck as fuck...

Rose: Ugh! - She groaned, hitting her forehead against the door - I hate my life, I'm gonna cry.

Emery: Sit your ass down and stay away from it until I'm back - I sighed, grabbing my phone from the table - I'll go through Ezra's stuff and come up with a solution to fix it.

Rose: Not a word to him - She pointed at me - He would remind me about it until my fucking death.

Emery: He's in his headquarters, so he won't catch me red-handed rummaging through his tools, which would end with a million questions - I chuckled, heading to the door - But I'm dead serious, don't touch it, because you'll only make it worse.

Rose: No one will tell me what do to.

Fixing her narrowed eyes on me, she lightly tapped the metal end of the screwdriver, conveying her determination to not heed anyone's instructions but her own...

Emery: Pray for Nick not to return anytime soon and attempt to open the door to return your laptop, because I have a feeling him discovering the lock jammed due to your attempts to sneak into his room won't signal the end of your war - I smirked.

Rose: Hm... - She leaned down, examining the stuck metal closely - How deep would it go if I shoved his snob-ass against it?

Emery: Rose!

Rose: Ugh, fine - She rolled her eyes, straightening up - Okay, I'll wait, but make it quick.

Chuckling at her offended and furious departure from the door, I exited her hotel room and briskly descended the stairs. Outside, I seized the chance for one final extended run to Ezra's house, opting to go without headphones this time...

In the brisk, invigorating morning air, I endeavored to clear my mind of all distractions, much like my lungs exchanging quick breaths with each step of my run...

In an attempt to shake off the chaos unfolding around me—the utterly unexpected return of Elena, Lucy, and my brother—I focused on getting rid of that inner anxiety...

Absolutely happy by their return? Without a doubt...

Ready? Not at all...

The recollection of Luka and Jasmine's engagement party's conclusion is hazy for me. I recall glimpsing my brother in the distance before everything faded into a dense, impenetrable fog. When I next opened my eyes, the blurry scene had transitioned to me sitting in Ezra's car, already parked outside his house...

And that's all, that's what I remember...

Ezra explained that I didn't pass out; instead, I froze due to an inner panic attack triggered by the shock of seeing him. Fortunately, he promptly noticed and quickly moved me away from the situation, and as far as I know, he didn't see me...

And I'm grateful to him for that. I wouldn't want my brother to see me in such a condition, nor would I want him to witness such of my reaction to his comeback...

I'm still feeling scared, disappointed, and somewhat hurt. I recognize that he has changed significantly since we last saw each other and now remembers me again. However, despite my attempts to fight against it, the memories of that one unfortunate evening have left a deep wound, which now fills me with more fear and panic instead of happiness with his return...

"So where have you been for the last 20 years?"

"...Looking at you, I'd say it would be a jackpot to look for you in a garbage dump..."

Quick breath, another curve I ran through...

"...I don't have a fucking father, you bitch..."

Quicker jump of my chest; even quicker step...

"...I don't know who your parents are, but I'm not surprised why they left you in some damn orphanage..."

Quicker run through another cross...

"And now you're taking advantage of my mother's death to worm your way into my life like this?"

Harder steps on the ground; blood burning even more...

"You're a complete failure, with nothing more to offer than somehow pretty face..."

And suddenly, as if hurdling through yet another curve at breakneck speed, I was jolted awake from the chaos, the rush of air I created around me almost matching the morning breeze. It felt like a slap to my face, halting my internal frenzy in an instant, leaving my chest heaving with each breath...

Because I saw him; quite in a distance...

My brother, a few paces ahead, his head inclined as he held his phone to his ear, clearly engrossed in call. Despite being on the same side of the street, he was unknowingly heading directly towards me...

Emery: No...

I exhaled deeply, feeling the grip of panic tighten around my body. Now, it wasn't the result of rigorous training causing my chest to heave, but rather the familiar grip of fear, reminiscent of the engagement party just days before...

But this time, with no Ezra around...

Emery: Don't zone out... - I pleaded, shaking my head and taking a step back while closing my eyes shut and massaging my temples - He's your brother.

I tried; I tried so fucking hard to push back those haunting memories of him, striving to fill my mind with the best ones instead...

"I hope Elena loves my engagement idea as much as you do, Emery..."

Deeper breath...

"I can't even find words to describe how happy I am that you're coming back to the USA with me and Elena..."

Calmer jump in my chest...

"...You're my real and only sister, and I'm proud of it, Emery. You're way more than enough..."

A shy, gentle smile uncontrollably spread across my lips...

I wanted so badly to cast aside that fear, to run toward him and hug him tightly, ensuring he would never forget me again. I craved to lose myself in his embrace, to hear those comforting words assuring me that everything would be alright, just as he always did...

I desperately wanted to get back my brother, to forgive him and erase that one event from his house from my memory...

But it all vanished as I reopened my eyes, finding him much closer now, still absorbed in his phone call, oblivious to my presence; as another one of his words echoed in my mind, once again shattering my heart, piece my piece...

"You and McClain are just two gold-digging bimbos hoping to cash in on my success, like desperate, worthless, hopeless, cheap whores, being nothing more but the epitome of life's disappointments."

Emery: I'm sorry... - I whispered, my voice barely audible, tears welling up in my eyes as I took a step back - I just can't.

Observing him narrow his eyes, as though detecting something ahead, I swiftly darted to the side, slipping into the narrow gap between two buildings just in the nick of time. As I landed in the cramped space, he stood directly in front of me, his back turned, unaware of my presence...

He paused mid-stride, halting his walk. Tilting his head upward, he scanned his surroundings, as if searching for something—or perhaps the source of the sound that had potentially caught his attention, which happened to be me...

Aware of his incredibly sharp hearing, I quickly pressed my hands against my lips. The shock and fear I felt this time played into my favor, as it seemed even my racing heart paused for a moment, aiding in my efforts to conceal myself from him...

For the first time in nearly a year, I found myself in such close proximity to him. Despite his unawareness, as he scanned his surroundings, I remained just a few feet behind him, silently grateful for the passing cars and their honking, which further obscured my presence from his keen hearing...

Close enough to greet him, to reach out and touch him, to speak to him...

Yet still undeniably out of reach...

I hated myself for being such a coward, for giving up on him, for the possibility that he might view me with disdain now, for the disappointment he must feel towards me for abandoning him...

But I couldn't bear to face it again, I'm not prepared. Another confrontation with him, hearing all those words of disappointment directed at me, and this time, from him with his memories back, would be deadly for me...

Jake: I'm here, keep going, Jacob - He moved his phone back to his ear, turning to the side - I was dead sure I heard someone, but never mind...

Only when he moved on and his footsteps faded away, did I allow myself to inhale a deep breath after what felt like an eternity of holding it...

Emery: Well, at least, I didn't freeze up like Elena in front of the racing car - I remarked, closing my eyes in an attempt to calm myself - Let's chalk it up as progress.

But that didn't change the fact that for the next several agonizing minutes, I lingered in that narrow gap, not even considering the idea of emerging. I chose to remain here a while longer, ensuring he had walked far enough away that there was no chance of him noticing me...

But it wasn't until I sensed movement down by my feet that I squinted and cautiously peered there...

Emery: Rat!

All my attempts at playing the stealthy spy like James Bond went to fuck themselves I screamed at the top of my lungs and leaped out of the gap uncontrollably...

In that moment, I didn't care if anyone heard or saw me; the sight of the rat nearby served as an unexpectedly effective therapy, instantly dispelling my intrusive thoughts...

But as I was about to touch down on the pavement, instead of feeling the solid concrete beneath me, I sensed impact—a rather forceful one, akin to colliding with a wall...

Please, let it not be him, I'm begging the entire universe, please, let it not be...

Man: Such a scream sounded like someone got murdered in here - A strange, amused voice pierced the silence - I just wonder if the cops have handcuffs for that little criminal.

The weight of a thousand pounds seemed to crash down on my shoulders upon hearing that unfamiliar, deep male voice. What's more, he didn't seem angry at my sudden intrusion; instead, I could feel him steadying me by gripping my shoulders, helping me maintain my balance...

Once in a lifetime I was freaking lucky...

Emery: I'm sorry... - I chuckled nervously, taking a step back - But I just don't trust anything that's small, walks on four legs, but doesn't purr or bark.

Man: So, I guess spiders are okay then?

Emery: I don't trust anything that's not a sweet, tiny, adorable ball I can hug - I chuckled, finally raising my head - I'm a bit of a scaredy-cat.

Lifting my gaze slightly, owing to the height difference with the man, allowed me to sweep my eyes across his form until they settled on his face. He was elegantly but comfortably dressed in long brown trousers and a black shirt, appearing to be around 50 years old. Yet, he carried his age well, exuding a handsome, robust presence...

His slim face was adorned with a few days' worth of soft, gray facial hair, complemented by his short, fully gray hair, which added to his distinguished appearance. Although his face bore some wrinkles, particularly around his eyes, forehead, and lips, they seemed to enhance his charm rather than detract from it...

And those eyes; deeply blue, a shade much darker than mine...

However, as his eyes locked onto mine and he took an occasion to look at my face too, his warm smile instantly faded...

His entire expression sharpened, his eyes narrowing as he scrutinized me with a penetrating gaze...

Emery: Something happened? - I asked cautiously - I'm sorry if I said something wrong. I tend to run my mouth when I'm nervous, and...

Man: No, no, it's not that... - He shook his head, as if trying to snap back to reality - I just had a thought...

But despite his efforts to maintain composure, as soon as his gaze returned to me, he lapsed into deep contemplation once more. His eyes, filled with a mixture of agitation and surprise, bore into me, scrutinizing every inch of my face...

Man: Sorry... - He muttered, running a hand through his face in an attempt to compose himself - I tend to get a bit creepy when I'm... shocked - He chuckled nervously, glancing back at me.

Emery: Well, stumbling upon a girl popping out of nowhere, screaming like she's trying to wake up the whole city, all because of a little rat, is definitely a shocker, I'll give you that - I chuckled, nodding in agreement.

Man: No, no, it's just that... - He hesitated, searching for the right words - You just... you remind me of the person I used to know.

Emery: Oh... - I raised my eyebrows - I hope that's an association in a positive light.

Man: Absolutely - He replied, a soft smile crossing his lips as if recalling fond memories of that person.

Emery: I'm Emery - I said, extending my hand towards him - Sorry for attacking you like that. Allow me to properly introduce myself.

Man: Emery...

Exhaling almost breathlessly, he drifted back into his thoughts, his shocked eyes once again piercing me with disbelief...

Was that weird? A bit...

Did I feel weird? Actually, no...

Will: Sorry again, but not only do you remind me of someone, your name is also one I've admired all my life - He said with a smile, shaking my hand - Pleasure to meet you, Emery. My name is Will.

Somehow, I sense good vibes from him. His eyes are kind, radiating warmth and positive energy, which instantly puts me at ease...

Emery: Well then, once more, I apologize for attacking you like that - I said, retracting my hand and taking a step back - But I have to go now.

Will: No need to apologize, really. Like I said, it was a pleasure to meet you - He nodded - If you happen to encounter such a little sewer monster again, try to keep your cool. Unless you want both of you to end up giving each other a heart attack with these unexpected meetings.

Nodding to the side and crossing his arms, I followed his gesture and there, in the gap between the buildings, I saw the rat lying on the ground, well, I would say it was "lifeless."

Emery: Ouch, sorry, dude - I grimaced, looking at the rat - But encountering me, more often than not, ends up being quite deadly.

Will: Should I take it as an advice to watch my step today? - He chuckled.

Emery: To be honest? Yes - I chuckled, meeting his gaze and nodding - But I'll do my best to carry that cursed aura with me, away from you.

Will: Oh, girl... - He shook his head in amusement - Believe me, since I'm still standing on my own two feet, breathing, and my brain cells are still firing, nothing's going to get me down anymore.

Emery: Don't tempt the fate - I pointed at him, keeping my gaze on him for a moment before turning and moving ahead.

I gazed at him for a moment longer, noticing he stood motionless, his arms crossed, watching me intently with a gentle smile. Then, I shifted my focus ahead once more and veered into another curve, vanishing around the corner...

It was only at that moment that I truly noticed my state of full relaxation; as meeting with him and experiencing that unexpected event caused all my anxiety and stress to melt away completely...

"R I G H T O N T I M E"

A familiar, deep, low voice greeted me, its coldness and sharpness capable of cutting through ice. With an added touch of extravagance, confidence, and pride, it perfectly embodied the beastly and cold-headed image we've all heard about the FBI...

Anthony: Solid start for yesterday - He nodded - Looks like there's some promise in you after all.

There he stood, leaning against the metal gate, his well-built arms crossed casually. Dressed much like myself, in black trousers cinched with a leather belt holding a walkie-talkie, weapons, and handcuffs. His black t-shirt outlined his silhouette, but while mine bore the "CIA" insignia, his unmistakably signaled affiliation with the "FBI". A soft smirk played on his face, accentuated by a few days' worth of facial hair, while his brown eyes bore into me, analyzing my every move with precision...

Does he resemble a man who has taken down hundreds of criminals, capable of playing mind games with them and confronting them face-to-face? Absolutely, without a doubt...

However, while Joseph may have had a similar level of experience, showing no mercy to those who crossed him and not hesitating to take lives in the most brutal manner, there's something distinct about Anthony...

Perhaps my perception of Anthony is influenced by my knowledge of Elena and their familial connection? Maybe I'm deceiving myself by assuming that Anthony, having a family, must possess some semblance of a heart, at least for his loved ones, whereas Joseph never even entertained the idea?

Or perhaps, whether the entire CIA acknowledges it or not, Anthony Gomez is undoubtedly a living legend in his own right, and just hearing his name can send shivers down the spine of not only civilians but seasoned professionals alike...

Anthony: Where's your friend? - He offered a handshake - Did I spook her off?

Nick: Ren's all about professionalism, in her work and her values - I replied, shaking his hand firmly - She's definitely made her statement clear.

Anthony: I absolutely agree.

Bouncing away the metal gate, he pivoted to the side and with a swift whistle and a flick of his finger, the heavy gate began to unlock, the sound echoing like a clock ticking in response to his non-verbal command...

Anthony: Welcome to my collector's home - He hurried through the gate, flashing his badge - Just a heads up, the kittens might be a bit moody at this hour, but don't let that bother you. And no photos allowed either, they're not fans of the flash.

A soft smirk crept onto my lips as I shook my head, deciding to simply follow him, stepping carefully over the rocky ground. Meanwhile, my eyes wandered, taking in the surroundings, and I spotted the typical, high-security prison, adorned with a modern touch...

Surrounded by several meters high concrete and brick walls, the metal gate stood imposingly. Electrical wires snaked along the top and bottom, forming a protective barrier. Countless drones hovered in the sky, following specific routes and scanning the area meticulously. My movements behind Anthony triggered an alarm in his transmitter, but he swiftly silenced it with a single touch, allowing the drone to resume its surveillance undisturbed...

In addition to that; countless armed policemen who resembled more like soldiers retired early from service than your typical cops. Towering like metal doors, armed to the teeth, and built like gorillas, they exuded such masculinity that a touch from their fingers could shatter bones...

You never can tell, maybe they were once in the crime game themselves, but now they're keeping the streets safe? Their look just screams it...

Guard: Mr. Gomez, what a pleasure to have you visit your old friends - He chuckled in his deep, low voice as we reached the main door - It's been quite a while.

Anthony: Gotta stretch these legs a bit - He smirked, tapping his badge to the device - How's your wife holding up? Everything smooth after the labor?

And that's precisely how it played out during our stroll through different sections of the prison, as we ventured deeper and deeper, until we reached the heart of it all—the main building...

Even as we passed by staff or cops and Anthony worked on unlocking new doors or entrances, he took advantage of those brief waits to shoot the breeze with the folks nearby, holding down the fort at those doors...

What really caught me off guard was how he was on a first-name basis with all of them and never miss any conversation. Even though they referred to him as "Mr. Gomez" out of respect, he still used their names. And he had this knack for asking just the right questions to spark a conversation. Whether it was about their families, vacation plans, or anything else, he had it down to a T...

Despite seeing the guards all genuinely smile and look amused when talking to him, I could still sense an immense level of respect for him. The way Anthony engaged them in conversation about their lives not only put them at ease but also showed that he cared enough to remember their names and personal details; it was clear they appreciated the effort...

He wasn't just making small talk either. Anthony dove into discussions about work conditions, whether anything needed fixing or changing. He sought opinions on work schedules and even took note of urgent issues like upgrading the phone system or repairing the gate near building "2C." He listened attentively, even jotting down notes, like about a father needing a day off in September to attend his daughter's ballet performance...

Impressive, no doubt; I completely didn't expect something like that...

Just... Yeah, Joseph drilled it into us countless times that Anthony's a master manipulator, the sneakiest guy on the planet, willing to do anything to achieve his goals. But could he really be such a convincing actor that all these cops and guards genuinely respect him and take pride in working for him?

Well, he's a certified psychologist who's been in the FBI chief's seat for over a decade, right? That says a lot on its own too...

Nick: Your drones are a bit outdated - I interjected as the last, heaviest door swung open before us - I mean, they're not the worst, but they're from 2021. With how far technology's come, they're pretty susceptible to hacking.

Anthony: Experienced? - He teased, shooting me a playful smirk as he crossed his arms.

Nick: If you're wondering if me or my crew hacked your drones to kill Hannah, the answer's no - I chuckled - But we've caught a few idiots we were keeping tabs on using them, thinking it'd be enough to scare us off from exposing their shady dealings.

Anthony: How ironic that you're the living embodiment of 'the darkest place is under the candle'.

With a subtle chuckle and a shake of his head, he strolled through the entrance of the building, catching my narrowed gaze as I watched him depart. I followed suit, gliding through the door just as it began to swing shut behind me...

Here I stood, in the FBI's top-tier slammer, housing the nation's most savage, ruthless, and unforgiving inmates. If you've landed here with just a murder rap, you're practically a lightweight in this joint...

Spread out before me was a vast expanse of metal corridors, multiple levels of steel cells devoid of any natural light, bathed instead in the harsh, sterile glow of overhead lamps. The air hung heavy with the scent of grime, metal, and undoubtedly traces of urine, sweat, and other less savory odors mingling with the biting chill of the environment...

Picture it as the respawn of criminal resurgence, trust me on that...

Anthony: Who are you exactly looking for?

Nick: Gray, should ring a bell - I replied promptly - From Massachusetts.

Anthony: Restricted section - He nodded towards the side, taking a step in that direction.

Meanwhile, it didn't take long for the other inmates to clock Anthony's arrival, and let's just say, respect wasn't exactly the vibe they were sending his way...

"Just wait until I'm out of here. I'll tear your twins apart into a million pieces, sending you a box with a different part of them on each of their birthdays, Gomez."

"Can't wait to leave, snag your daughter, and give her a good fuck while streaming it live, so you're glued to the screen, unable to look away."

"When I find your lovely Maria, she'll be popping out kids for me until her uterus shatters into a million pieces, just like their heads after being born after endless hours, no doc, no numbing."

"You'll witness each of your family members perish, one by one. Slow, distinct, and the last sound you'll hear will be their shouts for mercy."

"I've heard about your family, Gomez. Quite the sight. Even more enticing to turn them into a bloody painting. I've got a little project in mind just for you."

"Aaron and Layla, sweet. Have they uttered their first words yet? Perhaps 'dada' will slip out as I peel their skin away. Don't fret, I'll send you a video so you don't miss this pivotal moment of fatherhood."

"Don't sweat it, unlike Liam Williams, I won't fuck things up with your darling Elena. Once I'm done fucking her until I tear out her pussy, I'll cut her throat to ensure no one gets the chance to save her."

"Motherfucker."

"Cunt."

"Father of Misery."

And those are just a couple of instances tossed in with the rest of the insults, hollers, chuckles, and spats to the floor echoing down the metal corridors as we made our way through the prison...

Exactly, it's as if everyone in here couldn't wait to mess with Anthony, tossing around threats about harming or even killing his family once they're out. You know, stuff like ripping his kids' heads off, raping Elena or Maria, or killing them in most brutal way, yet, making Anthony see that – those were just the easiest threats Anthony heard. But trust me, I spared you the truly grotesque and disgusting ones...

Honestly, Anthony didn't give a fuck. He strutted through those corridors, head held high, eyes fixed forward, his confidence unfazed by all the threats thrown his way...

It's as if he could have witnessed the absolute worst scenarios, imagining the death of everyone he loved and hearing their vengeful plans against him. Yet, he stayed silent, his expression unwavering, showing that nothing could break him...

At times, a few threats even prompted a subtle smirk to curl his lips as he shook his head in amusement by their attempts to provoke a reaction or stand on his toes...

Anthony: Get used to it - He hit the elevator button as we hopped on - The more cases you poke, the more you'll uncover some truly amazing friends who've got your back.

Nick: And engaged, I guess - I smirked, sliding up beside him and crossing my arms - Even my own brother isn't clued in on the details of my life like these dudes are about you.

He let out another chuckle, snorting softly through his throat and nostrils as the elevator doors closed. Glancing up, I realized, like, we were actually going up...

Floor -3;

0;

3;

6...

Nick: Worst ones on the top? - I focused at the little screen with the number '8' where the elevator halted - Unique.

Anthony: Strategic - He shot back, awaiting the door's opening - If they attempt to tunnel their way out, they'll run into some unexpected company from below, not sewage canals.

Nick: What about windows?

Anthony: Every inmate's got a pair of massive, bar-less windows they can crack open three times a day - He maintained a serious expression as the door swung open, stepping out of the lift - Plus, each con's got their own personal pigeon. Give a whistle, and they'll fly right to your window like a feathered mail carrier to take care of such orders like letters, bombs or, right away, drugs.

I rolled my eyes and followed him down another corridor, fighting the urge to snap back at his sarcastic response by biting my tongue...

Nick: With a view from this high up, they can easily scope out the city, the neighborhood, and spend endless hours analyzing the security systems around the building and atop the walls.

Anthony: Guess I should consider upping the window count in their cells from two to three - He nodded, maintaining his deadpan tone - You know, to give them an even better view.

Nick: And all through high school, I couldn't figure out where Elena got her painfully sharp, snappy, sarcastic wit - I chuckled, sidling up beside him - I see that she's inherited all the major „being pain in the ass" predispositions from her dear, lovely daddy.

Anthony: And that's just scratching the surface of my awesome personality quirks.

He flashed a playful smirk as we faced yet another door guarded by an armed man who, obviously, instructed us to leave any weapons before proceeding to the next section...

Another perk of being here with Anthony? I fly under the radar. Being with the big boss means I dodge all the unnecessary questions, and Anthony's smooth talk always keeps the spotlight off me anyway...

Not only do I steer clear of all those daggers shooting my way, treating me like some unwanted guest they're itching to kick out, but I also save myself the hassle of wandering aimlessly in this massive maze of a building. No need to waste time pleading with the guards for directions or endlessly explaining my presence with badges and signed docs from Anthony...

Anthony: There's still a chance to do a quick about-face and hightail it out of here - He remained focused on the door ahead as we waited for the guard to let us through.

Nick: You're leaving so quickly? - I mirrored his stance, standing at his side - Don't worry, I won't spill the beans about you chickening out at the last minute, just tell me whether you need me to deliver a message to your pets?

Anthony: Actually, yeah - He nodded casually - It's been a while since I've been around, so just in case, remind them I'm a vegetarian, so I won't be nibbling on any appetizers made from you. But they can always send me a box with your head as another addition to my collection.

Elena is absolutely, totally, fully and completely Anthony's daughter; not a single doubt...

I've peeped some articles on Maria, and even scoped out her pics on social media. Sure, she might resemble her mother, but when it comes to the way she talks, carries herself, her confidence, quirks, glances, and that quick-witted snappy game? Straight-up carbon copy of Anthony...

Finally, the door swings open for us, breezin' through the metal detector hassle-free. We stroll through the heavy door, and there it is, staring me right in the face...

The deepest circle of pure hell...

I thought entering the first part of the building with all those folks who threaten Anthony was like stepping into a zoo. But here, it's like diving into the most savage jungle, devoid of any human decency; it's like someone stripped these people of all their humanity...

Nick: Holy...

Squinting, I lifted my chin and scanned the scene, even doing a full circle because I just couldn't wrap my head around what I was seeing...

First off, I couldn't even hear myself think with all the racket. I started to wonder if they weren't all deaf already. Prisoners were hollering, muttering like lunatics, laughing, and chatting away in their cells. The cells were a mixed bag—some standard with metal bars, while others were like glassy crypts...

Honestly, most of them didn't even bat an eye at us; they were too caught up in their own madness. In the middle of all this chaos, I couldn't help but wonder if I'd stumbled into a prison or a mental health ward for the most severe cases...

Nick: Harsh - I smirked, stealing a glance at him - Letting those motherfuckers' eardrums blow apart from all this chaos is one thing. But what did those poor cops do to end up working in this mess?

Anthony: Oh, as long as people have my back instead of stabbing it, I'm as sweet as pie, making working for me feel like a breeze...

Locking eyes with me, he whipped out a sleek gadget from his belt, giving it a casual flick before pressing a button; and just like that, the magic began to unfold...

Just as effortlessly as placing his order, and as predictably swift as the reactions of policemen to Anthony's words, this time, with a mere touch from Anthony, chaos continued amidst the clatter of shifting metal elements...

Glancing around once more, I observed the metal cells in motion, each containing its inhabitant, gliding smoothly and gradually towards the rear, revealing empty spaces behind them. It was akin to sliding a book back into its place on a bookcase, fitting perfectly into its slot...

It was only then that the prisoners began to take notice, their eyes locking onto Anthony in the center of the hall. Shouts and insults erupted, hurled in his direction. Yet, as the cells came to a halt in their designated niches, another intriguing development unfolded. The glass panels, resembling doors, slid smoothly from the sides, filling the spaces ahead of their cells in the niches...

Gradually, a hush fell over them, as if the sounds were being muffled by the glass itself; just peace and quiet remained around...

Anthony: Better?

Nick: Not bad, I have to admit - I nodded, scanning the rows of locked cells where people were trying to shout through the glass, but it was impossible to make out their words - So, which floor do you use for those IT experiments, you know, like wiping memories?

Voice: That's not the address of this specialty, but I'm eager to point you in the right direction.

That voice fueled Anthony's fury like a spark to dry tinder. In a heartbeat, his calm facade and gentle smirk vanished, replaced by gritted teeth and a ferocious glare that could have mercilessly struck down anyone in his path...

As he turned to peer over his shoulder, my gaze darted ahead, catching sight of him first; the owner of that deep, slightly mocking voice...

Lurking in the shadows of the corner, clad in sleek black attire that would have rendered him invisible if not for the piercing light of his ocean blue eyes, which stood out like beacons against the darkness. Initially leaning against the metal wall, one foot casually propped up, idly toying with a badge between his fingers...

Then, with deliberate and cautious steps, he pushed himself away from the wall and gradually emerged from the shadows into the light...

Jake fucking Danford...

With his smug smirk and assured gaze fixed squarely on Anthony, he maintained his stare until he reached the stairs. Once there, he leaned forward, placing both hands on the metal frame and then rested his chin against his folded hands, perched casually on the stair's edge...

Jake: Appreciate the assist, those dudes were about to make my ears bleed with their constant whining - He winked.

Nick: Anthony's trip rules around prisons reek of hypocrisy - I said, smirking and casually crossing my arms - Unless I'm mistaken and someone here decided to ditch their private investigation corporation to become a full-time public servant?

Anthony: No rules have changed - His sharp and firm tone echoed, slicing through the air like a blade against metal bars - If your last step of therapy involves atoning for your crimes by locking yourself away, go ahead, but not in this prison.

Jake: So, seeing my body caged up here to complete your collection wouldn't be the highlight of your career?

Anthony: I'd find more satisfaction in seeing it torn to shreds, burned to ashes five times over to ensure it's truly lifeless.

Nick: How'd you manage to sneak in here?

Jake: Jealous that I don't need a guide? - He peeked at me.

Nick: Jealous the guide isn't itching to rip my guts out?

Jake: Honestly, I feel sorry for you - He smirked, spinning the badge's ring around his finger - Being a pain in his ass is way more fun than being his ass-kisser. 

Anthony: He didn't sneak in; he must have been granted permission to enter - He maintained his firm gaze, never breaking eye contact with amused Jake - Logan.

Jake: See? You're still able to connect the dots of the riddle - He winked - There's still a bright future ahead for you as a detective, offering more than just knitting in the 'young spirit'.

Nick: Logan? The Judge? - I narrowed my eyes - Impossible. I spoke to him, and he claimed his hands were tied, directing me to you, stating that only you have the authority to grant entry to the prison.

Jake: In simpler terms, "I'm out for some peace, so hit the road and don't bother coming back, loser."

Anthony: He probably played the family card with Hannah - He rolled his eyes, Jake's grin widening with a touch of pride - Leveraging his detective gig, he promised to look into her situation, and their connection gave Logan the green light to approve the allowance paperwork.

Jake: You're totally squandering your big brain stuck behind that desk, just signing papers, old man.

Then, Anthony tapped his device once more, and with a simple button press, the metallic clang of cells moving echoed out, making Jake and me winced a bit at the sharp sound of glass and metal sliding...

Glancing up, I noticed the sound-dampening glass walls beginning to slide open from the ground-level cells. As they became audible once more, the cacophony of sounds and insults grew louder, blending together as the cells slid further out from their niches...

Anthony: This one - He nodded to the left corner.

As Jake's expression turned decidedly skeptical, his narrowed eyes scrutinized Anthony from head to toe. However, since Anthony remained completely still, Jake allowed himself to turn his head to the side and focus on something in the distance...

Driven by curiosity, I too directed my gaze to the same spot, and there it was: the final cell. Unlike the others, this one had its metal bars removed and instead, the frame was covered in police tape with stark warnings of "no entry." It occurred to me that this must have been the cell where Hannah Danford was confined...

Anthony: So, I heard you're here to dig into the heart-wrenching loss of your dear sister - His voice blending with the chatter of inmates as he strolled away.

Jake: What's the catch?

Without even thinking, he glanced over at Anthony and instinctively took a step back, even though Anthony just brushed past him, making a beeline for Hannah's prison cell, completely ignoring Jake's presence...

Anthony: Nothing - He shrugged, his expression blank - You've got clearance to enter, but it wasn't signed by me, so it's none of my business. But since I'm here anyway, might as well show you to her cell.

Jake: You really think I'm that dumb to...

Anthony: Yes.

With his hand casually resting against the wall, Anthony turned to face us, locking eyes with Jake as he spoke without a hint of hesitation. For that, Jake shot Anthony an irritated glare, while I pursed my lips, determined to maintain a serious demeanor...

Jake: Well... - He trailed off, moving slowly, keeping a close eye on Anthony - I think it'd be quite the feat to lock me up in a cell without bars.

Anthony: Who said I want to lock you up in Hannah's prison? - He stayed unfazed, not even twitching as Jake edged closer.

Definitely too calm...

Jake: Those cursed sparks in your eyes, like they're just itching to see my body torn to parts.

Anthony: Not everything's about you - He shrugged, casually resting his other hand on his hip - I've got way more important stuff to do than waste time playing games with such a trash like you.

Jake: No weapon?

Anthony glanced down, directing Jake's gaze to his FBI belt, conspicuously absent of any weaponry...

Jake: Hmm... - With another step closer, he glanced up at Anthony, catching his narrowed, focused gaze - No threats?

Anthony tightened his lips into an even straighter, emotionless line, shaking his head decisively in a negative gesture...

Jake: No police dogs, that have been trained for months with photos of mines, to rip apart a live version of me running through some doors?

Anthony: Seeing pics of a eyesore like you'd be torture enough for them, and taking a bite of that poisonous body? Deadly - He didn't flinch as Jake stood right in front of him - I respect my dogs.

Jake: Those two or four-legged?

Anthony: If you're hoping to find the guy from years back who'd drop everything just to entertain your games, you have another thing coming - He shook his head - I ain't wasting a drop of my energy or time on you. So, either you focus on your own business and investigate what brought you here, or go back where you came from.

Facing each other, Anthony held his ground with a firm yet oddly relaxed stance, his icy stare piercing into Jake. Meanwhile, Jake, squinting, scrutinized Anthony's face intently, clearly on the lookout for any signs of trap...

But there weren't any traces to be found...

Jake: Hm...

He let out a breath through his nostrils, then sidestepped Anthony, moving closer to Hannah's cell...

Jake: I know I already gave you the rundown on your health, but parking your ass in that chair all day might just speed up the growth of ulcers - He glanced into Hannah's cell - Only then you'll be crying your throat dry, not for anything else but for the pain in your ass to come back, which was me.

Anthony: I value prevention, which is why I prefer to nip trouble in the bud.

With another tap on Anthony's device, there was another metallic shift, and a confident smirk crept back onto his face as he looked at him...

However, Jake didn't stand still. The moment he heard the unfamiliar sound, he leaped to the side as if Hannah's cell was ablaze...

Jake: And if you're hoping to find the guy from years ago who'd be dumb enough to fall for your sneaky tricks, locking me in Hannah's cell, you have another thing coming - He smirked proudly, pointing at Anthony - Nothing's changed, Gomez. You'll always be that treacherous liar.

Anthony: But I never lied - He shrugged - I didn't aim to lock you in Hannah's cell.

With Jake's eyes narrowing once more, Anthony clicked his device again. In the blink of an eye, the bars slid shut, trapping Jake inside the cell, right next to Hannah's—the same one he had inadvertently leaped into moments ago...

I couldn't resist a soft chuckle as I watched Jake's thoroughly annoyed expression shoot daggers at Anthony, his hands clenched tightly around the metal bars...

Gotta admit; Anthony Gomez is sneaky son of a bitch...

Anthony: Maybe you were onto something? - He tapped his chin with the device, attempting to maintain a serious demeanor as he looked at Jake - Seeing you finally behind bars feels like the pinnacle of my career and I might just retire now.

Jake: I think I deserve a big thank you for kickstarting your lazy ass into action - He smirked sarcastically - Hats off to you, now you can take a breather and gear up to be the life of the party-keeper instead of six feet under, Funny Boomer.

Anthony: Between us, you're on the fast track to "six feet under" - He smirked, nodding over Jake's shoulder - In case you run into Liam, say hello from me.

Nick: Was he spot-on about the dogs too? - I chuckled.

With a sigh and a roll of his eyes, he turned his head to glance behind him. His eyes widened in immediate surprise as he spotted a figure lurking in the corner of the cell he had been locked into...

Nick: Or maybe it's the latest high-tech torture contraption just itching for someone to give it a whirl?

Jake: Worse - He swallowed.

It was only then that the figure emerged from the shadows, taking a step forward. It was then that I recognized her, unmistakably the woman I had read about in stories and research. As her face came into view, her grin seemed to shine amidst the darkness, contrasting with the shadows around her, which only fitted Jake's pale face, serving as a true beacon in the dimness...

Emma Gilbert: Jaky, my sweetheart! - Her squeal reverberated so loudly that both Jake and I winced in pain - I knew you'd come back to me one day!

Yeah, Emma, the ex-president's daughter. According to my research, she was insanely fixated on Jake, but I'm sure you're well acquainted with the story...

At that moment, Jake whipped his furious gaze towards Anthony, who had stopped hiding his amusement; he ran his finger across his smiling lips, thoroughly enjoying the scene unfolding before him...

Jake: You. Fucking. Wouldn't. Dare - He gritted his teeth, each word dripping with emphasis as he muttered through clenched teeth.

Anthony: Watch. Me - He echoed Jake's tone, but with a smile on his face, a stark contrast to Jake's fury.

Emma: Oh my stars! I've missed you like crazy, my little sweetie pie...

As she giggled maniacally, she charged toward Jake, who reacted swiftly. With a smooth motion, he extended his arm and placed his palm on Emma's forehead, somehow halting her advance and keeping her at a safe distance...

Jake: That's hitting below the belt - He shot a furious glare at Anthony, whose chuckle mingled with Emma's creepy giggle - Gomez, I'm dead serious. Open it, unless you want another prisoner to end up as a bloody stain on your walls.

Anthony: Do it, and you'll give me the perfect excuse to make this your permanent residence and...

Emma: Permanent? Like, here? With me? - She gasped dramatically, hands flying to her cheeks, causing Jake to shiver involuntarily - I'm all in, but we need to set a rule this time, Jaky - Her tone turned a bit more serious and firm as she pointed at him - No hanky-panky until we tie the knot because otherwise, you'll bolt again.

Jake: Ohoho, trust me... - He raised eyebrows - That's a rule I can wholeheartedly follow and embrace without hesitation.

Anthony: ...And, given your temper, I'd suggest your sensitive ears start getting used to the rather loud surroundings  - He said, a playful tone in his voice.

Emma: So, you're proposing to me? - She squeaked once more, placing her folded hands by her cheek - Aww, you're so romantic; you can't bear the thought of living without me, just as I can't imagine life without you, so I'm not shocked you're eager to get married the first moment you found me.

Jake: Can you fucking enlighten me on the thought process that led you from me agreeing not to touch you to interpreting it as...

Emma: But I need time to get everything ready! - She screamed again, nearly making my ears bleed - I can't walk down the aisle in that hideous orange potato bag! It's been ages since any stylist touched me, and the most recent photo I have is from the prison documentary! Plus, I need to send an invitation to Dottie from cell A7!

Anthony: Oh, don't you worry about anything, darling - He smirked, glancing at Emma - I'll be more than happy to assist you as your external consultant.

Jake: Gomez, you're crossing the...

Emma: Perfect! - She screamed again, causing Jake's face to contort as if his head was about to explode - If you work fast, I might still reconsider the terms of our new arrangement and... - She purred, running her hands down Jake's arm.

Jake: Sorry, I'm gay, so nothing from hanky-panky.

Swiftly, he withdrew his palm from Emma's forehead, which he had been pressing against all the while. This sudden movement caused Emma to lose her balance, and with a few unsteady steps forward, she collided with the metal bars of the cell, the sound echoing emptily around them...

As Jake, Anthony, and I winced in pain at the sight of her falling to the floor, the only question lingering in my mind was whether the hollow echo was the sound of metal or her empty head...

Instead of straight-up passing out, she gracefully dropped to her knees, giggling as she rubbed her forehead, leaving Jake muttering curses under his breath at his defeat...

Emma: If I were in your shoes, deprived of me, I might also turn to men out of desperation and the inability to gaze upon any other woman. But don't worry, I know just how to remedy that - She glanced up at him, placing her palms on the floor and slowly crawling towards him - Mmm, changing positions, with me tied to the cold, dark ground and you above me, that speaks volumes to me, sweetheart.

Jake: Just as it speaks to me to test the sole of my shoe and squash you like a cockroach underneath it - He glanced down, taking a step back from her.

Anthony: Alright... - Clearing his throat, he turned to me and began to stride in my direction - Look, my task was to guide you, so here we are. Find your Boston guy, chat him up, and get lost. Clock's ticking, you've got 15.

Nick: What's the move after 15 minutes? - I threw my arms across my chest as he faced me head-on - Am I being confined to the neighborhood of a newly married couple's cell?

Anthony: Your lack of belief in me and my creativity is downright offensive - He smirked - Let me break it down for you. I've already put one idiot back in his lane for snooping around my daughter, so don't think I won't do the same to you. Stick your nose where it doesn't belong, and I'll introduce you to a high-tech torture gadget just waiting for a test run.

Nick: We're at the "threats phase" now?

Anthony: I don't waste time with idle threats but turn words into action - He shook his head, his gaze piercing mine - I'm sure the files on me in your organization are thicker than a phonebook. So, if you have any doubts about my abilities, I suggest you give those files another read. 14 minutes, Louis.

He made it clear he wasn't gonna waste any more time chatting with me, dropped his statement with a firm vibe, then smoothly strolled past me towards the door we came in through...

Yup, I'm pretty sure a little birdie whispered some rumors about me and Elena in his ear. I'd be kidding myself if I thought he wouldn't hear anything and just brush it off...

Jake: Gomez, I swear on my company, with Luka thrown in as an extra in the bet-package, leave me in this cell with that lunatic, and I'll start spreading gossip with your prison mates about the details of your medical exams from Japan.

Anthony: Great, make sure to provide all the juicy details - He unlocked the door with his device, swinging it open - You'd be doing me a favor by letting them know I'm in top condition to continue my hunt for new roommates for them.

Before Jake could even reply, Anthony breezed through the doorway and bounced, shutting the door behind him...

Emma: Do you fancy an outdoor wedding in the prison's backyard, or are you leaning towards indoors, sweetheart? But if you're considering indoors, just bear in mind that we might have a couple of rats who could nibble on our wedding cake. I've named them Gary and Larry.

Glancing over at Emma's cell, I couldn't stifle a chuckle as I witnessed the scene unfolding behind the bars. There she was, giggling away, her arms and legs tightly wound around Jake's leg as he stood there, resigned, his hands gripping the metal bars while his forehead leaned against them and his eyes shut...

Emma: Who knows, if I chat with them enough, maybe they'll whip me up a wedding dress fit for Cinderella?

Jake: I've got plenty of experience negotiating with monkeys, so lay a finger on me again, and I'll put those skills to use on your rats, convincing them to eat on you instead of the wedding cake.

He muttered angrily through gritted teeth, opening his eyes once more and glaring down at Emma. Then, he began shaking his hand, trying to shake her off like he had toilet paper stuck to his shoe...

"C H E A P  S H I T"

Exasperated, I rolled my eyes and flung my phone onto the table with frustration. Only then I pressed my fingers to my temples, directing a piercing stare at the screen of my laptop once more...

While Nick opted to stroll with his faithful owner—read; Anthony Gomez—I chose to save myself from idle time by diligently tending to the metadata on my phone for a considerable stretch...

Yeah, remember that blind moron who bumped into me a while back? Thanks to his clumsiness, as I was afraid, I ended up wasting a bunch of time and my phone ended up kicking the bucket...

I've been battling all day just to salvage some of my data from the phone, trying to save whatever files and documents I could...

As hyped as I am about hacking and IT, getting down and dirty with hardware and device construction just makes me want to tear my hair out. I'd do just about anything to steer clear of that...

Let's make it clear; Ren loves clicking on her keyboard and experimenting with various programs very very much. But when it comes to slogging through the labyrinth of phone parts and trying to piece them together, Ren's patience runs away very, very quickly...

Though; if there's still any left...

Every time she delves into it, she ends up frustrated after hours of downloading data from the "chipset," only to find out it's not what she needed...

I've lost count of how many times I've been tempted to chuck my phone across the basement bar in frustration, scrolling through countless folders that all seem identical except for one letter or number...

I'm all about programming, which is exactly why I leave the "physical" phone work to the CIA IT engineers every chance I get...

Man: Hello, sweetie...

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted some guy plopped down at my table, across from me. I didn't bother giving him a second glance because his voice and sleazy tone alone were enough to make me want to throw up at my already barely alive phone. Trust me, losing all my data isn't worth it...

Man: Eager to catch some drink?

Ren: Eager to catch bruise on your face? - I retorted, not missing a beat on my keyboard.

Man: Lady with claws - He chuckled, causing a gag reflex within me - I could tell the moment I laid eyes on you...

I rolled my eyes in annoyance, quickly minimizing my phone system and opening a new window, all while he kept jabbering away, refusing to give me a moment's peace...

Even though the only sound emanating from me was the rhythmic tapping of my keyboard, not a single response to his cheesy pick-up lines, he wasn't about to throw in the towel...

Comments about how unique and captivating I am just because I can tap a few buttons on my keyboard? Oh, you bet that's checked off his list...

Utters about my flawless and natural beauty, earning me extra points without even needing a pool date? Yep, checked off the list too...

Throwing in a boomer joke about how he'd open up his entire wardrobe full of hoodies for me since I'm wearing my own one now? Yep, that's checked off too...

Last but not least, to top it all off, scoring a perfect five out of five, landing on the podium, with his highlight being how sexy I look with my glasses—yeah, I always wear them when I know I'll be glued to my laptop for a while—and his wonder if my speedy fingers would please more than just my keyboard...

And just when I thought engineering was the bane of my existence, they never fail to prove me wrong—the epitome of the ugliest, smelliest blend of whiskey and cheap cologne, the most repulsive and ludicrous species of creature that should've gone extinct ages ago; men...

I swear to Goodness of IT, they have made me practically asexual, let alone dealing with their habit of lurking around women like they're on some mating mission...

Man: ...By the way, I ran the show for the football squad, and...

Ren: Seychelles or Maldives for vacation? - I interrupted his absolutely breathtaking monologue.

Man: Straight to the point, I'm liking you even more - No need to be Sherlock to catch him checking me out - With you, I'd go to infinity and beyond.

Ren: As long as it's not beyond your wallet, right?

Man: Babe, price ain't a thing when it comes to you - He smirked - I'd shell out any amount to chase after you, even to the ends of the earth.

Ren: Great - I grinned mischievously, tapping away on my touchpad - So you can get the fuck away from me there right away.

Initially, his eyes narrowed in confusion, but as he parted his mouth to speak, his phone buzzed loudly on the table right beside his hand, diverting his attention...

Man: What the fuck? - His shock morphed into anger as he quickly grabbed his phone - What $8,000 transfer?

Ren: Last-minute trip to Antarctica. Found a discounted one...

I said, resting my elbows on the desk, coffee mug poised at my lips as I watched him check his bank account...

Ren: Considering global warming, you might be useful there, saving the world as nothing will freeze the polar ice caps faster than your cringy pick-up lines.

Man: What? - His anger escalated as he scrolled through his phone - How did you...

Ren: What the fuck did you think I was doing here, working on Excel? - I smirked, feigning confusion - Let's just say I get pretty naughty with my keyboard plays.

Man: You hacked into my account and swiped my cash? - He leapt up from his seat, his gaze stabbing into me with fury.

Ren: Nah, it was done from your IP, so you've got nothing on me - I shrugged, taking a sip of my coffee - Just a friendly tip; 'kiwi78' as a password speaks volumes about your idiocy way more than any of your monologues.

Man: It's illegal!

Ren: No shit Sherlock.

Man: You robbed me of $10,000! - He shouted.

Ren: I could... - I raised my finger - But, as I mentioned, I found a discount and went for the easier option, so just $8,000. You should be thanking me.

Man: Watch me let this slide - He smirked, scrolling through his phone again - You'll explain everything in front of the cops, and only then will you spit out every single dollar from your dirty mouth.

Ren: Good you're calling them - I said, feigning seriousness as I scrolled on my laptop - I'd love to hear your testimony about that robbery you pulled off in 2015...

Upon hearing that, he paused his finger on the screen, casting a curious glance in my direction...

Ren: Oh, and don't forget about that street fight you were involved in back in 2018... - I nodded, continuing to scroll - You know, the one you were chatting with your brother just after. Poor guy you attacked ended up hospitalized for a month, but you seemed pretty satisfied with yourself, especially because no one caught you.

I could feel the tension as his jaw clenched and his hand tightened, gripping the phone even more firmly...

Ren: Illegal, late-night street races... - I continued to scroll - Gambling... - Scroll - Frauds, including those tax schemes... - Scroll - And let's not forget about the drugs...

With another scroll, I halted my finger on the touchpad and took in a deep, audible breath...

Ren: Stepping on your little sis' hamster and lying that it got lost? - I maintained my serious tone, glancing at him - How do you even face yourself in the mirror?

Only then did he choose to respond, and as our eyes locked, he slammed his palm onto the table beside my hand with such force that the desk trembled slightly...

Yet, I remained unfazed...

Ren: One tap of my finger and the cops will be on your tail faster than you can blink, and guess who's gonna be rocking those shiny bracelets? - I said slowly and clearly - You can either make a humble trip to the dogs' house to spill the beans on all your dirty moves, or crawl over to the travel agency, playing tab idiot for accidentally hitting that 'book now' button and pleading for a refund like your life depends on it.

He's a cunt, gonna vanish as fast as he materialized...

Man: Bitch...

He gritted his teeth, sliding his hand off the desk as he made his way to the stairs of the underground bar...

Ren: Don't insult bitches - I smirked - I'm way worse.

With a swift run through the metal stair frame, he shot me one final furious glare before vanishing from my view with a quick ascent...

Ren: I've been way too kind to morons lately - I groaned, touching my forehead to check my temperature - Maybe I caught a bug or something.

The moment I tried to keep my cool, my anger skyrocketed to a boiling point, feeling like my insides were about to erupt in flames. I even had to pull my hand away from my forehead, fearing I'd scorch myself...

That son of the bitch making his way downstairs—that's what caught my eye...

That blind motherfucker who bumped into me wrecked not just my phone but also ruined my favorite hoodie beyond repair—it's nothing but trash now...

Him, strolling down the steps, lost in his thoughts as always. Rocking the casual vibe in black trousers and a tee, exuding the silhouette of alpha male aura effortlessly. Bag slung over his shoulder, fingers gripping the strap, adorned with a sleek smartwatch on his wrist. Despite his lowered gaze, his smooth, clean-shaven face, bold brows, and jet-black hair are unmistakable...

The only info I could dig up about him, amidst the chaos of tagging along with Nick to the FBI headquarters and later scrambling to salvage my phone's data, is that he's Ace McKing; first-line, younger cousin of Luka McKing. Two plus two equals trouble, and he proved it perfectly by wrecking my phone...

Watching him with his Calvin Klein cover model physique, observing his smooth jawline and the way he glanced up, then turned his head while taking the final step, I couldn't shake the feeling that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

I can already picture the familiar path he's following, just like his cousin. Looks like it's in his blood to play the king of clubs...

Ren: It's in your best interest to skedaddle out of here faster than you showed up - I muttered under my breath, shifting my gaze downward - I can already smell the toxic fumes of this male-prostitution shit.

Dragging my attention back to my screen, I made a concerted effort to tune him out, catching the last glimpse of him scanning the dimly lit bar...

The sheer rage bubbling inside me at the sight of his face fueled such a burst of energy that I was coding faster than ever before, not even at the peak of my motivation levels. Trust me, it was like nothing I've ever experienced...

But what's he doing here? Sure, it made sense that he might be a guest at the hotel, but what brought him down here, to this basement-bar? It's not exactly the type of nightclub he'd typically frequent, especially not someone with McKing's pedigree. It's a tiny, dimly lit with deep blue led lights bar, almost like a crypt, tucked away in the deepest depths of the hotel...

About 50 square meters in size, with a small bar and no bartender in sight—just rows of self-serve fridges where you can grab a drink after swiping your card. There's no music, no sign of life whatsoever except me, and him now. I even hesitated before entering, wondering if I was even allowed, but at that moment, I remembered I didn't give a fuck...

For a hacker like me? Heaven...

For someone with McKing's lineage? Definitely fucked up GPS...

Ace: Hi.

His voice shattered my train of thought, his figure materializing in my peripheral vision right in front of my desk...

Hold it together and don't go pulling any stunts that'll land you in jail for real, Ren. You can't just Ctrl-Z a dead body like a fucked up line of code... 

Ace: I'll never be a bother again, just trying to make things right... - I heard him say as he rummaged through his bag - Here.

Despite my best efforts to tune him out, I couldn't help but notice him placing the middle-sized box right next to my hand...

Ren: Huh? - I exhaled, squinting as my gaze landed on the box.

Ace: New phone - He clarified, noticing my confusion - I'm not sure if the last one works or not, but that's beside the point. I owe you one anyway.

Ren: Who asked? - I shook my head in confusion, raising my gaze to meet his face with a hint of irritation - Certainly, not me.

Ace: You didn't have to - He shrugged.

Ren: I don't want anything from you, especially not some damn phone.

Ace: I already told you I know I messed up, and I'm trying to fix it. I don't understand what your problem is.

See? That's what really gets under my skin about this guy, pushing me to the brink of my patience. Really, in all my 26 years, no one has ever managed to provoke such intense hatred in me in such a short amount of time...

And him?

He just keeps yapping away when he should just bite his tongue, step aside, and vanish for good...

Ren: Shove that phone up your ass - I snapped - But make sure the GPS app is on, so maybe it'll help with your walking issues.

Ace: I screwed up, you got pissed, so I thought about doing something nice for you. Wasn't even sure if we'd cross paths again, but I got the phone anyway. Luckily, I found you, so here I am, having this chat - He said with a shrug, gesturing towards the box - You don't have to be grateful.

Ren: Your Royal Highness is just too gracious - I quipped, my smirk dripping with sarcasm.

Ace: How's your phone?

His emerald green eyes, gleaming against the dark backdrop, traced from my face down to the desk, where he clearly noticed my phone with its barely functioning screen and the storage downloading line, indicating that I was in the midst of working on it...

Ren: Fucked up, just like your whole persona.

As he continued to gaze at my phone, I observed the corners of his lips twitch upward slightly into a gentle smile, accompanied by a soft exhale of amusement escaping his nostrils...

The sight intensified the tension in my jaw as the simmering anger persisted within me, and my fists practically itched to smash his face...

And that's precisely the issue; he's completely messed up. Instead of staying silent when necessary, he continues to babble, and even when I give him a clear hint to leave, he just gets amused...

Hook him up with some special treatment...

Ace: As I suspected, the chipset got soaked too - He sighed - I see you're on your laptop, so did you manage to back up the data? Maybe you need some help?

Ren: Actually, yeah - I sighed, nodding - I've hit a dead end, and you might actually be able to help me out.

Ace: How? - He led his focused gaze back to me.

Ren: Take it to your hand - I extended my hand with the fork.

Ace: Alright... - He sounded skeptical, narrowing his eyes, but he still took the fork to his left hand.

Ren: Now, take it up to your other hand - I reached out with the cable connected to my phone.

Ace: Okay... - He shifted the cable to his right hand - And then?

Ren: Shift that thing from your left hand into the power plug - I motioned to the side - Not only will it give us better signal in this cave, but it'll also zap away any lingering moisture in my phone. Just keep it there as long as you can because I'm not great with tech relocating data so it will take me a while. However, I believe you will be the bravest soul enjoying the crispy frying.

Here's the kicker: instead of getting all worked up, annoyed, and storming off with an eye roll, he just raised his eyebrows and uncontrollably burst out laughing...

No joke, the dude couldn't even keep it together while I was sitting there clueless as can be...

I've heard bits and pieces about the wild antics of LA's clown gang, but I had no idea it was that intense...

Ace: Sorry, I just... - He trailed off, rubbing his hand over his mouth to calm himself - You're actually pretty funny, Lauren.

What. Did. You. Just. Called. Me?

That was the absolute climax; the boiling kettle in my head whistled so loud that I couldn't even hear my own thoughts...

Where the hell did he dig up that info about me? Beats me, and honestly, I couldn't care less. What matters to me is figuring out the kind of hell I'm ready to unleash on anyone idiotically brave enough to use my full name...

No. One. Uses. My. Full. Name.

No one on this damn planet, sharing the same air as me, has the right to utter the name I've erased from my memory, even if it's still on my official documents...

But, watching him smirk and chuckle like an idiot, it's making me sick to my stomach. I have a feeling he won't be around much longer to breathe that same air...

With swift movement, I rose to my feet so silently that the chair behind me toppled. With one hand on the table for support, I seized his collar and drew him closer until our faces nearly touched. As our eyes locked in a fierce gaze, his laughter faded, leaving only the sound of my steady breaths echoing in the room...

Ren: There are four steps to push a man to suicide... - I murmured quietly - One, crack his password. Two, dig through his emails, chats, and gallery. Three, craft a dynamic PowerPoint presentation filled with the juiciest and dirtiest secrets. Four, share it all with a single click. Cross me one more time, and you'll be the first to test if I can cut it into a single step.

The urge to claw at those piercing green eyes bore into mine nearly overwhelmed me, but I restrained myself just in time. With a firm grip on his collar, I forcefully pushed him away, causing him to take an involuntary step back...

In his silence, I deftly gathered my laptop and swiftly retrieved my bag from the floor. Without a word, I brushed past him and made my way to the opposite end of the basement...

I swear, not even Nick's initial introduction to the CIA, when Joseph proudly presented him as if he were some stray pet from the street, made me as furious as much as this guy does. Usually, a single sharp retort is enough to keep people at bay...

So, as I want; for people to stay away from me and not to like me. The only living, two-legged creatures I somewhat tolerate nearby are my colleagues from the CIA, but even that is often more than I can handle, so most of the time I keep my distance from them anyway...

I don't want people like me, I don't want anyone around me; I simply crave peace and quiet...

This guy can cross all of these boundaries in just a few seconds and a few sentences...

Reaching the furthest corner of the underground bar, I slammed my laptop onto the table, almost hurling it, while my bag crashed to the floor. Taking a forceful seat, I positioned myself with my back to the rest of the bar, ensuring distance from anyone's reach...

All I craved was space to put myself together, lest I unleash my pent-up frustration of ripping anyone's head out...

I'm not going to waste any more energy on someone like him; I've already wasted too much. Once Gomez, now this bastard. It's enough...

I opened my laptop wide, determined to leave the phone issue behind and focus on repairing the program that was hacked by "X" on that fatal night...

With just 10 minutes left to sort everything out and make my exit on time, I had to grab what I needed from Gray and bounce out of Anthony's place before whatever was about to go down, went down...

Scared? Nah. It's not about fear, it's about not wanting to mess with Anthony since he's the only barrier between me and Gray. Like I've been saying, as long as I'm in his domain, it's just smarter not to get in his path...

Gray: His Majesty, of noble British blood, Nicholas Louis, of the Louis lineage - His smirk reached my ears - Firstborn of Christopher Louis, who met his tragic end at the bullet of his own eldest. My greatest pleasure.

And there I stood, arms crossed right in front of his cell...

Gray, the epitome of CIA's greatest successes in its entire history. Dark hair, dark eyes, looks like an angel with a demon lurking inside, accentuated by the scar above his eyebrow and tattoos covering his body...

Leaning against the wall at the far end of his cell, directly across from me, arms folded across his chest; his powerful silhouette perfectly matching his unyielding confidence and indomitable spirit...

Nick: Orange is totally your color - With a playful smirk, I gave him a nod, teasingly acknowledging the situation - Or maybe that's just the vibe from behind bars talking?

Gray: Receiving props from the top catwalk kingpin in all of Europe is like snagging the Holy Grail - He flashed a wink - And hey, not too shabby yourself. Finally stepping up in this CIA gig, starting to resemble a legit man, not some Ken Doll eager to welcome to his ass something else than just a kick.

Nick: Experienced? Word on the block is killers don't exactly have a cakewalk behind bars.

Gray: Nailed it - He glanced at his nails - These new pals of mine just won't let up, constantly prying for the details of my little record. You know, the one about cutting the heads of five big-heads at once back at my place. So yeah, you could say I've got a full-time going on here, absolutely no cakewalk.

Casting a glance my way, his chuckle reverberated once more, causing my jaw to tighten, teeth clenched, and blood to boil in my veins...

Five high-ranking politicians; early January 2023. Ages ranging from 25 to 40, all kidnapped by him and his crew, confined to his basement, subjected to torture, beatings, starvation, and repeated assaults. It took two months until we finally apprehended him...

Success; we outsmarted him and got him locked up behind bars in Boston...

Defeat; all of men were found dead, not a single one alive...

Just a few days too late to act; a few days that I still haven't forgiven myself for...

I'm against all politicians, and I see them all as shady characters. Those high-ranking ones probably had more skeletons in their closet than Gray's crew combined.

Still, nobody should have the authority to decide who lives or dies. Justice should be served in courts, not by criminal gangs.

Plus, that was the exact same event where we could have lost Ren, but I managed to save her at the last moment...

"—Ren, grab my hand!

—I'd sooner crisp up in that fire than even consider...

—You've got two options; ending you now and being left with nothing but your own stubbornness, or sticking around and extend the joy of being a pain in my ass for a few more years. Make your move wisely..."

Gray: So? - His voice snapped me back from my thoughts - To what do I owe the honour?

I was so caught up in reminiscing about that one night that I didn't even realize he had moved to the other end of the cell and was now standing right in front of me. Leaning against the metal bars by the entrance to his cell, his tattooed hands casually rested between the bars, mere inches away from me with only the metal gate separating us...

And I was dead sure that facing my father seemed like battling Satan; turns out, I had it all wrong...

Nick: You know exactly what I want.

Gray: Do I?

Nick: Save yourself the charades; you're already defeated - I snapped firmly - You're just wasting both our time.

Gray: I wouldn't exactly label this as a waste of time. Honestly, I dig our convo vibe here - His pearly whites glinted as he gave me the once-over with a smirk - Visitors are a rare breed for me, so having a chat with someone who's still got it together is a refreshing switch-up. And when that someone jets across the whole country just to hang? It's just stacking up bonus points.

Nick: I had no idea you had such a big heart. Not everyone would be willing to give up their entire life behind bars just to let the guy who betrayed them roam free and keep living the criminal life without any limits.

Gray: Prison life's been quite an interesting chapter - His smirk didn't fade - Back in Boston, I found all those losers dull and feeble, but here? If anyone had told me I'd find such solid pals, I'd have handed myself over to you a lot sooner.

Task for the future; advise Anthony to tighten the security on his cell and cut off contact with other people around. Allowing him to ally with the kind of criminals here who are just waiting for a chance to escape and seek revenge is far too risky...

Nick: Where's X - I stated, more than asked.

Gray: Well, definitely not around here - He shrugged - I've checked the nooks and crannies, chatted up the regulars, and fucked with those willing and unwilling... - He winked, causing a slight gag reflex within me - So, consider it as a favor; I'm sparing you the time of rummaging through this cold, grimy, hellhole of a prison, filled with bad guys who'd make you cry.

Nick: Betrayal for betrayal - I shrugged - What's the point of covering for him when he doesn't give a fuck about you and sold you out at the first chance?

Gray: Let's just say I prefer to handle deals face-to-face. I'm not big on intermediaries.

Nick: Just point me in the right direction, I'll track him down and I'll even deliver him straight to your cell, so you can mete out whatever justice you see fit. Sound satisfying enough?

Gray: Sounds boring - He casually inspected his nails once more - But perhaps Miss Gomez could liven things up a bit? With so many people having a soft spot for her, maybe she could work her magic on me, change my life, and lend a hand to your cause too?

Upon hearing that, a soft chuckle of disbelief slipped from my throat, while my eyebrows shot up in surprise...

Nick: Hanging out with your new crew of brainless buddies seems to be doing wonders for you, considering you've started daydreaming about Elena wasting her precious time on someone like you.

Gray: Too bad...

Putting on a show of sadness, he let out a sigh and slid his hands back into the cell, then turned away and walked off...

Gray: Being a devoted fan of hers for months, ever since I moved from Boston to LA, I've been hoping for a chance to chat with my idol. Trust me, it would be a lot more entertaining than shooting the breeze with a bore like you.

Nick: What do you want from Elena? - I couldn't help the irritation creeping into my voice.

Gray: Perhaps a little banter about East Coast life? - He shrugged, settling onto his bed - Maybe swapping stories about Boston and favorite spots? Honestly, any topic with her would be intriguing. So whatever she's up for, I'm game to chat.

Nick: What's your game now? - I narrowed my gaze, watching him settle onto the bed.

Gray: Cards and board games lost their charm, so I'm spicing things up a bit - He lounged comfortably, hands folded behind his head - To avoid going stir-crazy, I've honed my timekeeping skills pretty well and I think the clock's ticking on the chitchat time your owner allocated for me.

I could have kept arguing with him, but I chose to save myself from wasting any more time, especially since time was seriously running out. I knew him well enough to know he wouldn't say another word to me, so I turned on my heel and walked away...

Am I mad? Do I feel like a loser who just showed up here to waste my time? Absolutely not, not at all. Quite the opposite, actually. From the get-go, I knew he wouldn't cooperate with me, so I didn't waste a single minute hoping he'd spill anything about X...

But that wasn't my main goal for showing up here. I didn't come here expecting to miraculously uncover information about X's whereabouts; my purpose was to dig into Gray's list of interests because if there's something he's into, chances are his people are too...

And I found out what Gray's interested in; Elena...

That's the "thing" within their sphere of interest that not only requires a warning but also some form of protection...

Yeah, and watch me as I effortlessly pull Elena into any drama or chaos swirling around me; mhm, definitely...

Over my messed-up, broken-down, bullet-riddled body...

Nick: Such a beautiful and breathtaking view of young love, full of joy and life.

As I walked past Emma's cell once more, I couldn't resist pausing to sneak a peek inside, a soft chuckle slipping from my lips as I took in the scene...

I spotted Jake leaning against the wall, rubbing his eyes with a look of exhaustion, thanks to Emma's non-stop chatter and giggles. She had her wrists bound with Jake's belt, stretched out to the metal bars, keeping her at a distance from him...

Jake: Such a beautiful and breathtaking view of white, straight and perfect teeth - He commented, shooting me a glare - Wouldn't you want me to ruin that perfection by knocking out your front tic tacs for a walk, would you?

Nick: Too cramped for a walk - I observed, scanning the cell as he approached the bars - Starting to wonder if there's enough room to even breathe in here as your egos might be too big for this space.

Emma: I've heard that his ego isn't exactly his biggest advantage...

She purred to Jake, but when she attempted to get closer to his leg, he gently nudged her away with his foot...

Jake: So... - He glanced at me, leaning casually against the bars, much like Gray did a few moments ago - New cat's meow of CIA, right?

Nick: Old, famous, Californian street whore on the retirement, right?

Jake: Mhm - He nodded casually - And my dangling, honed fifth limb is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my advantages.

Nick: I'll wait to hear Emma's opinion on your skills - I nodded towards Emm - She seems like a pretty reliable critic.

Emma: And eager to put it to the test - She meowed, giving Jake a wink.

Jake: And I can share my opinion that you're a perfect fit for the CIA - He smirked - With your knack for slipping into places and sneak around people that should be away from your interest. Classic CIA style.

There we go; no doubt about it, McKing is quite the speed demon when it comes to gossip...

Nick: Any problem?

Jake: Honestly, I don't like it when random people start throwin' their weight around in my territory.

Nick: And I don't - I shrugged - Have you ever caught me lurking around your headquarters?

Jake: Let's just say my extensive hard-work of street whore has allowed me to mark out every nook and cranny of this city, creating a territory that's unofficially mine.

Emma: I could assist you in adding this prison to your collection as well, sweetheart.

Jake: And I was damn sure nothing could top Imani - He whispered to himself, glancing up at the ceiling.

Nick: Pardon me?

Jake: The only apology I'll accept is you getting out of here and going back where you came from - He glared at me again.

Nick: So, you're scanning every citizen here and kicking them out of the city if they don't meet your standards?

Jake: No, but you particularly piss me off.

Nick: Why?

Jake: Because your appearance has triggered my allergies to knockoffs back, making my itching nose exacerbate my moodiness with each passing day.

Nick: Thinking I would poke a finger to make any similarity to you feels like the biggest insult to me.

Jake: And this is just the beginning with you - He said with a wink.

Guard: Excuse me? What's going on here?

The low, surprised voice of the policeman next to us snapped Jake and me out of our moment, directing our attention to the side. There, we noticed an armed policeman casting questioning glances at Jake and Emma inside the cell...

Nick: Miss Gilbert's visitor may have gone a bit too far trying to keep their long-distance relationship alive.

Jake: Good timing you're here - He said, casually glancing at the policeman who pulled out a device from his pocket - I was running out of excuses for why third parties barging into our cozy zone isn't the best idea.

Guard: Wait... - He narrowed his eyes, pointing at him - Aren't you Jake Danford?

Jake: Depends.

Guard: On what?

Jake: Your attitude - He shrugged - If that name is enough for you to give up on the idea of setting me free from that lunatic, I can even be Dicky Smith. I can opt for Brenda too; it's worked a few times already.

Emma: I can also wear whatever name you wish, sweetheart.

Jake: Hearing your original name not only makes me gay but also asexual, cockroach - He peeked down at her.

Guard: I mean, my thoughts about you are one thing, but what's been weighing on my mind more is... - He hesitated - Your sister's case.

Jake: Which one? - He sighed, casting a weary glance at the policeman - I lost track of those official ones a while ago.

Guard: Hannah.

Jake: Yeah, her case got me thinking that the list of potential crazies with a genetic link to me causing some troubles around just got a little shorter.

Guard: Just... - He sighed heavily - Actually, I was the last one who spoke to her before she took her own life. I was escorting her to her cell, but then I stepped away to see who had turned on the music.

Jake: So, you're the one who gave her a free pass to run around the jail?

Guard: The agents have already examined my device and confirmed its activity in closing Hannah's cell - He shrugged - Her escape from the cell isn't on me.

Nick: Wait, wait... - I narrowed my eyes, glancing at the policeman - Music? What music? In prison?

Jake: Who's supposed to play the role of the heartbroken and vengeful brother seeking justice? Me or you? - He shot me an annoyed look - One Louis sneaking around one sister of mine is more than enough. Find yourself more original hobby.

Nick: Toilet paper's stuck to your shoe - I nodded down.

Glancing down, he muttered a curse under his breath upon seeing Emma stroking his leg. Without hesitation, he started pushing her away with his foot once more...

Nick: And? - I glanced at the guard once more - What's the deal with the music?

Guard: Honestly, I don't even know what's real anymore. This whole mess has me doubting my own sanity - He scratched his head - I was convinced about my version of the story, but then the camera footage contradicted my story, so I threw in the towel.

Jake: No worries, there aren't any fully sane people around; they're just undiagnosed yet...

With another firm tug, he pulled Emma away from him and turned to the guard again...

Jake: The stories of lunatics are far more intriguing, so I'm all ears.

Guard: Just like I said - He shrugged - I was escorting Hannah to her cell when suddenly, music started blaring from every speaker in this place...

His subtle upward nod prompted me to raise my head, and with a swift scan around the corners, I spotted several speakers strategically placed along the walls...

Guard: I locked Hannah's cell with her inside, then I went off to the command center to catch whoever was behind the music prank. But as I made my way to the lower floor, everything went dark, and I woke up hours later to find the prison already swarming with FBI agents.

Nick: What about Hannah? - I redirected my attention to the armed man - Did she show any signs of suicidal intentions?

Jake: Recalling her kill-streak, I dare to consider that the expectancy of her coming back resurrected due to incompetence in taking a life of anyone might not be the most idiotic theory.

Guard: You know what? Fuck it - He ran his hand across his face - I'm almost sure it was just a hallucination or something, but it'll eat away at me if I don't get it off my chest. Her final words were about you.

Jake: She cursed me for not giving her my ass?

Nick: Looks like the Danfords are enjoying themselves quite a bit - I smirked.

Jake: Our families would get along - He shot me a knowing glance - My sister with incestuous tendencies versus your parents with a soft spot for their kids.

Nick: Touché.

Guard: But circling back to Hannah... - He redirected our attention back to himself - There were actually two things. First, when she heard the melody, she went completely off the rails, even more than usual... - He raised his eyebrows - And then she started rambling about not solving some riddle in time, so "he came after her."

Nick: Well, I've heard some tales about your penchant for dropping riddles here and there - I glanced at Jake - But the fact that you chose to mess with her head and torment her to the point where she killed herself in that madness tells me you're truly ruthless.

Jake: Yeah, you got me, I lied - He spread his hands, nodding - Instead of being in Asia for 10 months, I was busy playing "How to drive my sister crazier." And when she killed the fun, I got bored and decided to step into the spotlight, casting around for players for part two. Interested? I offer candies after every three rounds.

Guard: Well, I doubt she was referring to you at that moment, because she mentioned you a little later, after I had already started walking away - He continued - To be more precise, she called out your and Elena's names.

Nick: Elena? - I swiftly snapped my gaze back to him - What do you mean?

Jake: I feel brutally overlooked.

Emma: I'd never even think about it, Jaky - She purred again.

Jake: Wanna some riddle? - He peeked down.

Emma: And what's the prize?

Jake: Me accepting your proposal - He jumped on it without a second thought - I'd even kiss Gomez's butt if it meant he'd let us escape to the neighboring loony bin for our honeymoon. I heard they've got a trampoline there.

Emma: No freaking way - She gasped - And they swore there wasn't a trampoline anywhere! So, spill it, what's the puzzle?

Jake: The maker doesn't need it, the buyer can't use it, and the user can't see or feel it; what am I? Your time is unlimited.

Emma: Hmm... - She mused, narrowing her eyes in concentration, pondering the solution.

Unfuckingbelievable...

Jake: So? - He glanced back at the policeman - What's my biggest ass-sore... I mean, my dearest sister's last wish?

Guard: She just yelled to let you and Elena know about some mysterious "him" and said you two are the only ones who can put a stop to him, because if you don't, he's coming for more of "you" - He shrugged - Oh, and I think she said something about Miss Gomez owing it to her after August 7th. That's all.

Jake: Alright, same old, same old - He rolled his eyes - Just her usual frantic ramblings with no ounce of logic.

Nick: Does Elena know about it?

Jake: Actually, I'd like to report a shortage of oxygen, but it's not because of my massive ego - He butted in again, prompting an eye roll from me - It's because of your massive mouth that never stops running.

Nick: Elena is well out of your Los Angeles territory - I smirked, crossing my arms - I checked it myself yesterday, and I can assure you that Duskwood isn't anywhere near your range.

Jake: Are you bragging or griping? - He furrowed his brow.

Guard: No, I haven't had a moment to clue in either Miss Gomez or Mr. Gomez - He continued - Unless they're digging through the files with my testimony, but I highly doubt it...

With a flick of his gadget, the unlocking sound bounced between us, catching me and Jake's attention as we glanced down. There, we noticed Emma's cell light up green, signaling it's open again...

Guard: As I mentioned, considering all the wild stuff going on, it wouldn't shock me if they're just going nuts - He sighed, unlocking the cell for Jake, who wasted no time in leaping out - But sharing it all with you somehow eases my mind and makes the coincidence sit better with me.

Jake: Well, what we know is that someone's mind here isn't exactly leaning towards "ease"...

With a slick move, he freed Emma's wrists from his belt, swiftly securing it around his waist. In the meantime, Emma was completely oblivious, still muttering the riddle under her breath, unaware that Jake had set himself free and her hands as well...

Jake: ...But thanks - He smiled at the policeman, who began to lock Emma's cell once more.

Guard: Like I said, Hannah's case has been weighing heavily on my chest, and I needed to get that off my chest to either you or Miss Gomez, so...

Jake: I'm not talking about that lunatic - He narrowed his eyes in confusion while fastening his belt - Fuck her, no one cares about her. I was thanking you for saving me from the agony I started to feel because of her - He nodded down at Emma - Believe me, a few more minutes locked up with her, and you'd have a second suicide on your hands.

Guard: But how did you get in? - He yanked the locked door to double-check - I'm sure I locked it... Or I didn't? - He touched his forehead - I'm seriously starting to lose my sanity here.

Jake: Sounds like you could use a vacation, buddy - He raised his eyebrows as he turned on his heels and started walking away - But take advantage of your boss buried in paperwork and slip in that vacation request. The more papers he's surrounded by, the better chance he'll sign off without even reading it.

Whether I was on board with it or not, I had to follow suit and trail after him because the exit lay right in his path...

But I couldn't care less; I didn't waste a single second on any conversation with him. I preferred to keep my focus on my thoughts and all the circumstances swirling around us...

First up, Gray's gonna meet and chat with Elena. Then, there's Hannah, who brought up Elena right before offing herself. There's that mysterious "him," the riddles, and Hannah completely losing her marbles...

And fuck me, I definitely don't like where this is going...

Jake: So... - He broke the silence as we both glanced at the numbers on the elevator screen - Elena's legendary ex-friend from Miami, right?

Nick: Miami's miles away from your California vibe - I reiterated firmly - And since Miami is my territory, I feel empowered to advise you, Elena's ex-boyfriend, not to give a fuck.

Jake: You feel threatened?

Nick: Amused - I gave a little nod as the elevator door eased open - It seemed to me that after Chris, Elena couldn't possibly hit a lower point, but after today, I'm considering organizing a fundraiser for her to undergo specialized medical tests because her taste in men appears to indicate a numbness of senses.

Jake: Oh, man... - He chuckled, shaking his head and stepping out the lift - We're gonna have so much fun.

With an irritated eye roll, I trailed along, retracing every step through exits, corridors, and buildings, just like I did earlier with Anthony. Thankfully, I didn't have to endure Jake's company any longer; after a few minutes, we arrived back at the main metal gate marking the perimeter of the prison grounds...

Anthony: Right on time again - He drawled, leaning casually against the gate, stealing a glance at his watch nestled between his crossed arms - Now, get out before one of us does something that will provide us with an eternal one-way ticket behind these bars.

Jake: Your indifference to my existence cuts deep, especially considering everything we've been through together - He placed his hand on his chest. 

Anthony: I'm more into shots than cuts, and with my weapon restocked, I suggest you zip it - He warned, nudging the gate wider with a kick, still not bothering to glance in his direction - Get out since you still have a chance and...

Suddenly, Anthony's gadget started blaring alarms like nobody's business, prompting him to roll his eyes and let out a heavy sigh as he begrudgingly grabbed it, but he quickly realized it wasn't the only one making chaos...

As weird noises and alarms filled the air above us, the ground began to darken with swift shadows, prompting Anthony, Jake, and me to glance upward in bewilderment...

We spotted it; a fleet of drones all zeroing in on a specific spot, undoubtedly picking up on something fishy near the prison. They were the ones setting off the alarms, both from themselves and Anthony's device, echoing through the air...

Just then, out of nowhere, a helicopter shot out from behind the towering building, zipping across the sky at such a low altitude that it nearly grazed the roof of the prison...

Following closely behind, at least five more helicopters appeared, trailing a bit slower than the lead chopper. They seemed to be in hot pursuit, marked with what appeared to be police insignias, flying low enough to catch everyone's attention...

Nick: What the... - I shook my head in disbelief, blinking rapidly - So, someone's gunning to take down your HQ this time?

Anthony: Worse.

Everything clicked into place the moment a voice boomed from a megaphone, echoing from one of the helicopters trailing behind...

Policeman: Miss Gomez, you are being directed to promptly terminate the operation of the helicopter and surrender yourself to law enforcement authorities without delay, as failure to comply will result in escalated legal consequences...

Edward Gomez: First come, first served for that winning cupcake at the bakery downstate, dogs! - His smirk boomed through the megaphone dangling from the leading helicopter - Elena, sweetheart? Hit the gas, let 'em taste the bitterness of defeat.

As the front helicopter whipped into a sharp turn, picking up even more speed, I caught a glimpse through the window. There sat Elena at the controls, accompanied by her grandfather, both of them looking like they were having the time of their lives, laughing and enjoying the moment...

Hell yeah, you read that correctly. Elena fucking Gomez, at the helm of the fucking helicopter, tearing through the sky like there's no tomorrow, leaving the sky-cops in her dust with the rest of the police helicopters in hot pursuit...

You've got to be fucking kidding me...

Anthony: Seems like somebody's really gonna join the jail club soon - He sighed, flipping his badge and heading back to the prison building - Locking up Elena next to Sarah feels satisfying enough.

Meanwhile, up in the air, Elena was piloting her helicopter like a pro, leaving the police choppers in her dust. Blink, and you'd miss her as she zoomed past buildings, the only trace of her presence the distant hum of machinery echoing through the sky...

Jake: Hmm... - He scratched his chin, keep looking up, not at all shocked - I knew she'd been suspiciously too quiet all day...

Ezra: For real, baby girl - I heard the irritation in his voice - What kind of mess did you get into now?

Emery: Nothing, I swear - I tried to sound a bit more innocent, but it probably just made me sound even more pathetic - I'm clean as a whistle.

Well, actually, I wasn't lying. I was just hanging in Rose's room again, watching her wrestle with the door, using her feet on the door for leverage and yanking on a screwdriver to get the lock undone. I wasn't even getting involved, just observing her chaos. So, technically, I'm still in the clear, right?

Ezra: Mhm, right...

As he chuckled on the phone, I slid my hand over the speaker to muffle Rose's groans sneaking out each time she struggled with the screwdriver, so wouldn't catch wind of her efforts...

Ezra: So, I'm from HQ, eager to see you, but you're out, no heads-up on your whereabouts. Next thing I know, I'm dodging oil slicks on the floor, nearly breaking my neck, leading straight out the door. Yeah, I must be overthinking this, right?

Emery: You called me, I picked up and as you can hear, I'm alive...

I flashed a nervous smile and quickly moved my hand back to the speaker when I saw Rose slipping, her hands losing grip on the metal. All I could do was wince, bracing for the loud thud of Rose's back hitting the floor hard...

Rose: I swear, I'm about to reenact the "Here's Johnny" axe scene from "The Shining," - She muttered, teeth clenched.

Ezra: Alright, let me put it another way... - I winced in pain as Rose kicked the door with all her might - What mess did Rose drag you into this time?

Emery: Nah, it's cool, seriously - I put on my best casual vibe - Just giving her a hand, nothing to be worried about.

Ezra: Remember last time you said that? A few hours later, I got a call from Anthony to pick you and Rose up from the arrest.

Emery: They were exaggerating.

Ezra: Rose kicked an ass of some guy, then locked him in the club's basement and when she called you, you rushed over, and you busted vase over the his head.

Emery: It was out of context and you know it - I protested, feeling a bit miffed, which just made him chuckle again - That jerk had it coming.

Ezra: Girl, I'm worn out, especially to play this cat and mouse's game with you - He sighed exhaustively - Just spill the beans on what you two got into, and I'll handle it. Let's save our time, and the cops', too.

Emery: Since you're tired, get some well-deserved rest - I smiled - Sleep peacefully.

Ezra: Sleep peacefully without you by my side? Yeah, right. Good luck with that.

Emery: You feeling anxious without me nearby? - I smirked - Cute.

Ezra: You know, telling me to "sleep peacefully" without you under my roof doesn't make any sense, because that "peace" will get shattered by a cop's call sooner or later - He smirked, prompting an annoyed glare from me - Fuck it, I'm hitting the road. Maybe this time, I'll beat the climax and dodge the whole parade of police cars.

Emery: You don't know where I am.

Ezra: It always kicks off in Rose's main respawn, aka her hotel room, so that's where I'll head first, kicking any ideas you might be having in your mind - I heard him grabbing the keys - Plus, if I'm off the mark, I'll just follow the trail of oil drops you left behind.

Emery: Nah, no need for that... - I grinned nervously, scratching my head - I was just about to head back anyway, so...

Ezra: You've got about 15 minutes - He said, the sound of him locking the door with his key echoing in my phone - I'm feeling pretty generous, so I'll even give you an extra 5. Either you sort out the mess with Rose, or I will, and you know the consequences if I have to handle it, baby girl.

With his smug smirk lingering in the air, the call abruptly ended, leaving me to shoot Rose an angry glare...

Emery: We're dead - I muttered, tossing my phone onto the couch as I headed over to her - Ezra's on the way, we have 20 minutes.

Rose: You're a horrible liar, no wonder he didn't buy your bullshit - She remarked, shooting me an annoyed glance as she sprawled out on the floor.

Emery: He's my boyfriend, obviously, I don't want to lie to him - I rolled my eyes - And of course, because of you, I'm always bending over backwards to cover your ass and keep you out of trouble.

Rose: Ugh, fine... - She groaned, pushing herself up - This metal was on its way out anyway, so a few more tugs and...

Just as I stood next to that unlucky door, I caught the faint sound of it creaking open and closing from the other side, prompting Rose and me to lock eyes in an instant...

Rose: Now he decides to park his butt back in his room? - She muttered under her breath - Seriously?

Emery: That's great actually - I replied quietly, making my way to the main door.

Rose: Where are you going?

Emery: To save your ass again - I muttered, gripping the doorknob - I'll swallow my pride, feel embarrassed on your behalf, and snag the laptop so you won't have any excuses to annoy him. And while I'm at it, cover up that mess on the door with something, so Ezra won't spot the metal poking out of his brother's room lock.

Rose: Watch me doing anything to...

Emery: You've got 13 minutes - I pointed at her - If you mess up, I'll pop into Nick's room for a cozy tea session right before Ezra shows up, leaving you to deal with him solo.

Rose: Ugh, fine! - She groaned as quietly as possible - Good luck getting that jerk to cooperate with you.

Emery: Good luck with the door cover-up - I smirked, opening the door - Just to motivate you, I'll mention that Ezra is worn out from his day, so I'm doubling my good luck wishes for you to calm his fury when he discovers your mess.

Giving me the stink eye, she flipped me off, but I just chuckled as I left her room and headed to the corridor, closing the door behind me. Heading towards Nick's room, I knocked on his door, glancing around at the deserted hallway...

I love Rose, she's like the sister I never had, but as much as I adore her, sometimes I just wanna strangle her for landing us in the middle of all this drama...

Nick: Emery? - He shot me a surprised look as he opened the door.

Emery: Hello there, my favorite brother of my boyfriend - I grinned, trying not to come off too much like a total creep.

Nick: Well, nice try, but Ezra has only one brother - He chuckled, leaning against the door frame, looking a bit confused.

Emery: Well, maybe, but that doesn't mean you're off the hook for being my favorite - I kept up the cool act, playfully bumping his arm with my fist - I might not know you as well as Dominique, for example, but since we both survived killing your parents, I figured we've got some kind of special bond and...

Nick: If that Babbler thinks she can set you on me to negotiate getting her laptop back, she's got another thing coming - He crossed his arms.

Emery: Oh, come on! - I groaned, earning a chuckle from him - Can't you, at least, show me a little mercy?

Nick: I'd love to, really - He nodded, his expression nonchalant - I'm here to help you with anything, except stuff that goes with the interests of that stubborn kid with a sense of superiority.

Emery: You're older, act like one. Smarter one.

Nick: I am, and that's precisely why I'm not going to play any games, Emery - He stated firmly - I like you, really, so my advice is to stay away of that lunatic and don't let her drag you into her mess. If she stops acting like a spoiled brat, I won't have any issues with her being around either - He shrugged.

Emery: Can't you just turn a blind eye to it this one last time? - I pleaded, making a pinch gesture and closing my eyes slightly - For me?

Nick: I'm sorry, but no - He shook his head, pulling out his ringing phone from his pocket - That's an important call, excuse me, Emery.

He didn't even let me get a word in. He just took a step back, put the phone to his ear, and gently closed the door with his other hand...

Emery: Great - I sighed annoyed, heading back to Rose's room - Not only are we at a dead end, but I also have no escape room from Ezra.

Rose: See? I told you - She smirked triumphantly as I entered her room empty-handed - Asshole's beyond redemption.

Emery: Nick's actually willing to cooperate, but only if you stop acting like a child.

Rose: And that's coming from the guy who's keeping my laptop just because someone dared to put him in his place? - She crossed her arms - Who's the child here?

Emery: Did you cover the lock? - I peeked behind
her back.

Rose: Can't you just... - She ran her finger through the air, looking at me confused - I don't know, leave, bump into Ezra on the way, bring him back to his place, and, I don't know, fuck him so he forgets whatever he wanted from here?

Emery: That's not how it works - I crossed my arms, looking at her annoyed.

Rose: Hey, don't play virgin here - She pointed at me - And of course, you're bending over backwards in bed to please him, just to dull his vigilance when it comes to avoiding his fury at you for dragging another cat to his house. But when it's about saving me, suddenly it's "not how it works" - She quoted with her fingers.

Emery: Nick made it clear, he'll give you back the laptop when you stop getting on his nerves - I rolled my eyes - You can start now by shutting your yap, because someone called him.

Rose: I'd sooner believe in unicorns than him swallowing his pride and ditching his asshole attitude towards me - She stated firmly - It was him who started it, yelling at me for no reason, so I'm not going to grovel at Mr. CIA's feet.

Emery: He's not an asshole, he's okay, and you'd see that too if you, at least, made an effort to talk to him - I shot her an annoyed glance - He said it's an important call, so if you stay quiet, maybe he'll appreciate it and start cooperating much earlier? Maybe even before Ezra arrives

Rose: Important call, you say...

She rubbed her chin, squinting as she zoned out into her own thoughts, deep in some serious self-talk...

And fuck, I didn't like it...

Emery: Don't even think about it - I pointed at her firmly - Whatever ideas cross that stupid empty head of yours, I'm saying no.

Rose: Okay.

She said it all casual-like, just shrugging and then kicking back on the couch, grabbing her phone as she settled in like it was no big deal...

Absolutely, definitely, totally suspicious...

Emery: What? - I scanned up and down, taking a cautious step forward.

Rose: Nothing - She shrugged, tapping away on her phone - He wants me to be quiet, so I'm quiet.

Emery: Where's the catch?

Rose: Ain't none - She shrugged nonchalantly. - Actually, I'd suggest you zip it, because I don't want to hear his complaints about my talks when it's really you who can't keep their flapping beak shut.

I squinted harder, still sizing her up as she lounged on the couch, but she didn't budge. Just chilling there in complete silence, so quiet I could even pick up some muffled sounds from the next room, letting me know Nick was still talking on the phone...

But it was definitely too suspicious, too easy...

And what? Am I supposed to buy this concept that Rose suddenly got all interested in Nick's proposal for a truce? That she just took his words to heart about acting like the bigger person? And seriously? Am I expected to be that gullible to think that Rose could squash all that inner rage and fury towards Nick in just a few seconds because he asked for some peace and quiet?

Please, neither I'm dumb, nor I did meet Rose yesterday...

Emery: Rose, I'm dead serious, what are you up to? - I muttered furiously, leaning down to her.

Rose: Jesus, I'm just granting his wish - She sighed, looking up at me - He wanted me to be quiet, right? So I'm quiet - She shrugged - In the meantime, I'm just making sure he fulfills his part of the deal too.

Emery: What do you mean by you making sure he...

And just like that, I jumped in terror, feeling as if someone had started shooting right then and there, the deafening noise echoing throughout the entire floor...

But here's the deal. First off, that noise is definitely coming from next door. And second, it sounds like someone's going at it real hard in there, if you know what I mean...

The noises of the most porn-fucking scene you can imagine; the woman moaning and pleading for more, slapping sounds, the guy groaning and dropping some choice words calling the woman worst names, the bed creaking, her crying out in pleasure and calling him "daddy," egging him on to go even harder...

And it's all so damn loud, I can't even hear my own thoughts. Meanwhile, Rose's face stays dead serious...

Emery: He will kill you!

I yelled, clamping my hands over my ears, not even sure if she could hear me over the woman who's clearly about to come, screaming even louder...

Rose: What? I'm being quiet. It's not my fault he took my laptop with my private stuff, and as you can see, I didn't disconnect my phone from my laptop, so my dirty secrets got exposed.

She just shrugged, totally emotionless, holding up her phone which was playing some random free porn video from some sketchy site, matching perfectly with the sounds echoing around us...

Her face? Dead serious...

We didn't have to wait long for Nick's reaction because the sound of his fist slamming against the shared door was so loud, I thought it might bust right through...

Emery: Rose, you're dead.

I panicked, watching the doorknob shake as Nick tried to open the door. But with that screwdriver still jammed in there, there's no way he's getting his key turned, even if he wanted to...

Emery: You? We're dead! - I shouted over the loud moans - I knew about his call, he's going to kill me for telling you that!

Rose: I could have heard that myself - She shrugged - He just saw you in front of the door, but I could have also been standing in my threshold.

And then, something weird went down because out of nowhere, the metal part jammed in the lock just fell right out onto the ground...

Rose: Nice - She beamed, rising from the couch and scooping up the broken piece - See that? I'm master. Knocked out two birds with one stone.

Meanwhile, the door slamming noise was so deafening it felt like the whole room was shaking. And the sounds of that hard fucking were getting louder and closer, even though I could've sworn it was impossible, 'cause I could practically feel those sounds vibrating in my brain already...

Before I could even fully turn my head, Rose's door flew open so fast and wide I felt a gust of wind, and now the moans and slaps were echoing from her room...

Of course it was Nick; his face practically crimson with fury. I was surprised he hadn't blown his top yet. He was standing in the doorway, phone to his ear with the speaker muted, holding Rose's open laptop in his other hand...

And let me tell you, if looks could kill, Rose would be six feet under by now with the way Nick was glaring at her...

Rose: Eager to guess the password for a sneak peek? - She nodded toward her laptop with failed attempts to enter the password, a triumphant grin spreading across her face as Nick approached - Ah, sorry, that's strictly for my eyes only.

Nick: I swear on everything worth a damn, everything that exists and breathes, you'll be coughing up a hefty sum for this, McKing...

Standing right in front of her, he muttered so fiercely it was barely audible, his voice dripping with rage. It was so low, it could have cut through steel, and his eyes were so sharp I half expected him to pop them out and use them to cut her throat...

Meanwhile, the muted sounds from the speaker were still echoing around the room. Even though the person on the other end couldn't hear, Nick couldn't care less...

And Rose, facing him head-on, didn't flinch, didn't back down, didn't give a fuck. Even with Nick ready to tear her apart, she met his furious gaze head-on, her eyes dancing with amusement and satisfaction...

Nick: You might be the death of me, but until then, I solemnly vow to make your existence so miserable that you'll be cursing the day you were born.

He thrust the laptop straight into Rose's arms, but even with force, she didn't budge. Instead, still locking eyes with him, she calmly reached over and turned off the video on her phone, filling the floor with blissful silence once more...

Rose: Best of luck - She smirked in a challenging manner, edging even closer to him.

Nick: No, I wish you best of luck sorting out your own mess.

As he got rid of the laptop, he raised his hand again, revealing the broken key to the door with one end missing. Well, that explained why the screwdriver fell out of the lock. I thought that Nick had been trying to turn the key so forcefully that, combined with it already being locked, he must have loosened the grip enough for the screwdriver to slip out, albeit at the expense of the key snapping in half...

Nick: You better start packing your bags because the staff is about to kick you out from the hotel - He smirked, pressing the key into her hands too - Not only because of my report but also because they need to change the door since it's currently locked with the key still inside.

Rose: I'm guilty of nothing. Not only did you disrupt the peaceful night of other guests, but you also broke the lock - She shrugged - Actually, I'm curious to hear your explanation for that.

I can't even believe what I'm hearing right now...

I swear, the McKings have smooth acting and getting out of trouble ingrained in their DNA...

Nick: You got into really deep shit, Rose McKing - He lowered his tone further, his voice so calm it sent shivers down my spine while Rose remained unfazed - And I swear to you that I won't stop at nothing to turn these barks of yours into begs for mercy.

Rose: Actually, you're the only one keep barking empty threats - She said, a smirk playing on her lips.

Nick: Not anymore - He shook his head - I bet you'll start missing those empty threats soon enough.

They locked eyes for what felt like an eternity, until a question echoed from Nick's phone, prompting him to step back and with an angry exhale through his nostrils, he turned on his heel...

Making his way to the door, he answered the question on his phone, his eyes briefly meeting mine, disappointment clear in his gaze. But he didn't say anything to me, just left, closing the door behind him, this time much calmer...

Emery: Happy? - I sighed, feeling drained as I rubbed my forehead - Only now you've started a real war.

Rose: Easy, he was bluffing - She said, sinking into the couch and punching in her laptop password - He won't lift a finger against me.

Emery: Rose, he's fucking head of the CIA.

Rose: And what do you think he's gonna do? - She asked, a bemused smirk on her face - Throw me in jail for a porn attack? He won't breathe a word about it. It's too trivial for the CIA, too cringy and embarrassing - She shrugged.

Emery: These aren't jokes, Rose - I stressed, locking eyes with her - You saw him, he was deadly serious.

Rose: Yeah, I can already picture him testifying in front of a jury, admitting that the big shot head of the CIA got defeated by a 22-year-old and a porn movie on her laptop.

Emery: I'm done - I declared, spreading my hands before turning towards the door - If you want to play with fire, go ahead, but count me out. I wanted to lend a hand, but I'm not getting dragged into the middle of hell because of your games with him and...

But as I swung open the door to make my exit, I froze in my tracks, locking eyes with the figure standing right in front of me. With one hand casually resting against the door frame and a piercing gaze fixed on me, there was no way I could slip past him...

For fuck's sake...

Ezra: You'd better come up with a damn good excuse, Emery.

For that, I just let out a nervous chuckle, my anxiety weighing heavy in my throat as I swallowed hard...

Ren: Okay, it should be working now... - I sighed, double-checking my program - But how in the world did that jerk manage to access my code and copy that entry line?

Looks like McKing came through in the clutch after all. I can't recall the last time I was so zoned in, completely focused on my work. Time slipped away, and this place stayed as dim as ever...

Considering I managed to diagnose my entire program, scrutinize every line, and spot the activity in specific lines, it wouldn't shock me if it's already nighttime here in the programmer's world...

What do I know now? Not a whole lot, to be honest. What caught my eye in the logs was some activity just minutes before Joseph was attacked: a line of my code got copied. Of course, according to my system, it came from "my IP," but my recent interactions with that guy a few hours ago presets that masking IPs and playing around with them, even using someone else's, is the bread and butter of even amateur hackers...

The biggest puzzle here is how the heck X got hold of my IP to breach into my code. I'm no rookie, and I never underestimate my enemies, so I fortify all my systems with at least five layers of security. My colleagues gripe about having to punch in five different passwords every time they access their programs, but I keep reminding them: it's either spend 30 seconds typing in those passwords or face a nightmare where every piece of info about them leaks out, as that one minute will haunt them until their grave...

For now, that's a mystery I just don't have the energy to crack. Sure, I might fit the stereotype of a hacker who'd rather work than sleep, but being here on the West Coast, just breathing in this air, is enough to leave me feeling drained...

I just hope to leave this city as soon as we got here...

As I shut my laptop, sliding it into my bag and rising to my feet, I slung my pack over my shoulder and as I patted my pockets...

Ren: Fuck... - I looked up, closed my eyes, and let out a deep breath - When are you going to start using your damn brain, Ren?

Yeah, that glossy cover dude got me all riled up that once I stormed to the other side of the bar, I grabbed my laptop and bag, indeed, but totally blanked on my phone, still plugged in and charging...

I was deep into other things, like securing my program again, so it completely slipped my mind. Plus, I was on my laptop answering messages, so no wonder I completely spaced on that device...

Lucky for me, when I glanced back, I realized I was still the only one in the bar, with only the automatic fridges flickering on and off, creating this eerie yet peaceful vibe...

The most important; he's gone...

Ren: Looks like he's not as dumb as I thought after all.

Exhausted, I let out a sigh and rubbed my face, pushing through the tiredness just long enough to make it to my hotel room, heading back to the desk where I was sitting earlier in the meantime...

The closer I got, the clearer the view of the desk became...

And the more confusion spread across my face...

Ren: What the...

Reading the note, I narrowed my eyes, then scanned the bar again, just to make sure he wasn't lurking around...

Ren: There's no way he managed to do it.

Glancing down, I picked up the new phone, the bigger one. Yeah, the old one was from like a decade ago and smaller than my palm, but anyway. With a confident swipe, I unlocked it, but just as quickly as my pride surfaced, it vanished...

Facing the welcoming screen, I pondered whether to finish synchronizing all my data between the devices, but at first glance, everything seemed exactly the same as on my old phone...

Shaking my head in confusion, I entered my password and passcode, then waited a few more agonizing minutes, only to find that the design, apps, and overall look of the new phone were identical to my old one...

Ren: He just didn't...

Yes, he did...

I grabbed my old phone, struggling to unlock it since it's barely alive despite being plugged in all the time, and began comparing them both side by side...

Well, at least, I gave it my best shot. While comparing things like files and apps, on the new phone, everything opened in the blink of an eye, while on the old one, it was all glitchy and slow, which wasn't because of the wetness, but simply because it's old and I never felt the need to replace it...

But...

Everything was there...

Every single app, every folder, all documents—heck, even the number of photos is spot on, and the storage space taken matches up perfectly (of course, the new phone has much more storage capacity)...

The only way he could've pulled that off without knowing all my passwords and bypassing my security measures was by connecting my old phone and the new one to his device, maybe his laptop, and performing some kind of back magic that CIA IT engineers always do; I mean, who knows, he might have even cracked open the phones and replaced some parts? Don't ask me, I'm all about hacking, not building devices...

Putting the phones back on the table, my attention returned to the note, which I picked up again, taking a closer look at the handwriting which, surprisingly, wasn't the worst I've seen...

"It's up to you what you want to do with it" - My eyes fixated on that specific line...

"You are expected to adhere to my instructions, comport yourself appropriately, and fulfill the expectations placed upon you, Lauren" - The voice flashed through my mind, leaving the swirling wind before my eyes...

Quickly shutting my eyes tight, I banished that voice and image before they consumed me entirely. With clenched teeth and a tightened jaw, I could feel fury and hatred coursing through my veins, consuming my entire being...

Just go fuck yourself...

After a long moment of deep breaths, I opened my eyes, my gaze firm and furious, fixating on the note from Ace once more. My eyes lingered on the word "Lauren," written by him, piercing through the paper...

I hate this name. It's the thing I detest most in the world, yet I've never mustered the courage to change it. Despite the overwhelming disgust it stirs within me, I've never found the strength to go to the department and change it. To start over...

I see it as a burden I've convinced myself I must bear and endure...

But only my shadows from the past are permitted to use it, serving as a reminder to myself of the reasons why I've ended up where I am now, especially during the toughest moments when I'm tempted to give up...

Not Nick, not Joseph, not anyone from the CIA, nobody...

Certainly not some random, blind, feeble, clueless son of a bitch...

Ren: You're lucky my last one was glitching anyway - I said emotionlessly, crumpling the paper into a ball.

With a casual flick, I effortlessly tossed the ball into the nearest bin and quickly scooped up both phones, cables, and chargers, carrying them all with me as I made my way back to my hotel room...

Just. Absolute. Nothing...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 61 11
Duskwood fanfiction, compilation of Jake and MC oneshot stories. Mostly fluff texts. Spoiler of ep10. English isn't my first language so there proba...
41.7K 1.8K 31
āœ“ Book 2 of "Taming His Mistress" āœ“ Everyone has their demons. Some of us choose to keep them hidden. But what happens when your demons come out to p...
19.2K 1.2K 57
Even in the darkest moments, the beginnings of love can be found. Jayna Chacon is stuck in a rut. Her job is interesting, but she doesn't have any fr...
4.3K 151 37
This is a fanfic based on the mobile game Duskwood. It's set around the same time as the new game Moonvale. It focuses on the relationship between ou...