The Skin Thief

By Clog-bot

A young dream walker gifted with the ability to take over other people's bodies, becomes a spy and political... More

Season List for The Skin Thief
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91

Chapter 78

551 28 3
By Clog-bot

"You cannot kill Gareth Salt."

I grind my teeth together. Well, not my teeth, but the teeth of the random body I've taken over.

Cobalt chuckles beside me and I get another waft of revolting, eyewatering body odour. I can't help but sneer.

"This is what happens when you call an emergency meeting. I don't have a chance to prepare," he jokes, showing his rotting teeth as he laughs.

"What, so when you're not my handler, you're a homeless drug addict?" I ask, my tone snapping.

"You'll be surprised at what you can learn from the most unfortunate in society," he replies. "But this is one of my many characters, dear Little Bird."

I wonder what he does in this realm beyond being my handler. How many people is he with his shape-shifting abilities? How many lives does he lead?

"Why can't I kill him?" I ask. "He's a threat who needs dealing with. Clarkie also. Both of those fuckers are filthy, dangerous animals who need exterminating. I'll be doing everyone a fucking favour."

Cobalt laughs and I nearly gag at his breath. "By all means, Little Bird. Tell me how you really feel."

"Gareth Salt is getting in the way," I hiss, not caring for his humour. He sighs and leans back against the wall of the building he's currently sleeping beside.

"There are many reasons why you are not to kill Gareth Salt and his lap dog." His voice is serious now, and he looks me in the eyes. "One, it is too risky. You are so close to where we need you and we don't want anything that may cause suspicion. That means, after today, no dream walking. No more assassinations. We won't be taking any more risks unless the situation is dire. This order comes from Mr Day himself. Your mission now is Marcus and getting into his ranks where you'll have access to everything we need. The locations of the backstreet portals they are using in the Second Realm, where they are creating their weapons and body armour, where their government is the weakest. Anything that can put a stop to this war before it can begin. Your main mission, however, will be reporting back whatever Kaiser has discovered so we can stay ahead of his investigations. You will also have to sabotage him, from drawing suspicions away from actual second realm agents to scapegoats to false clues that lead him to different conclusions. Do you understand, Little Bird? You need to make Kaiser chase his tail and keep him from interfering with this delicate operation we have set up here."

"I understand," I reply through gritted teeth. "But how can I do that when I haven't got the job? If Mr Salt were to have a sudden heart attack or a stroke, then Marcus would be able to hire me instead of Serena."

"Reason number two as to why you can't kill Salt. They'll replace him with someone competent. The man is a useless, corrupt arsehole. He can pull a few strings now and then, like with what he's done with you, but he has no real power. He's a blithering idiot, easy to manipulate and terrible at his job. The MOD is in shambles, with security risks everywhere and a lack of funding. It has weak points that we can exploit. It's how we were able to get you in in the first place. Mr Salt is smart enough to secure his position. He has friends in all the right places. But, upon his death, well, it will be the Commander, Mr Kaiser's boss, who will take his place. The man is as good as Mr Day, and I can assure you, with him in charge, our way into the MOD will be closed for good and a whole lot of trouble will follow."

I sigh and rub my temples.

"Fine," I say.

"You're a fine agent, Little Bird. You'll find another way to get close to Kaiser. We are sure of it."

"What about Clarkie? He wasn't there last night, but when he returns, it is impossible to bug Mr Salt. He watches me like a hawk. I wouldn't be surprised if he follows me down an alley one night after work," I grumble.

"You do not give away your cover, Little Bird."

"So, I can't fight him, even in self-defence?" I argue, my voice rising in disbelief.

"Did you hear about the part about not risking any suspicion?" he asks sarcastically. "Just make sure you don't get yourself into a position where he can attack you in the first place."

I let out a long, frustrated sigh. "That doesn't help me when it comes to bugging the table."

"You're a smart agent, Little Bird. You'll figure it out. But no killing and no dreamwalking. Are we clear? Keep yourself clean and innocent."

"Fine," I say.

"Now, I have work to get back to."

I pull my consciousness out of the body, not bothering to say goodbye to Cobalt. I reach for my own body and am dragged away. A second later, after shooting across the city, I wake up in my bed.

I sit up quickly and clench my fists.

"Not a good meeting?" Connor asks.

"No," I practically growl and stand up. Connor puts his weapon away and follows me as I storm into the kitchen and yank open the fridge.

"I'm not allowed to dream walk anymore," I say as I grab some chocolate.

"What?" Connor asks behind me.

"Yep. I'm not to risk it. I'm too close to Marcus now to risk anything that could give me away. So, no dream walking and no killing Mr Salt."

"I mean, it does make sense," Connor sighs. I spin and glare at him. He holds up his hands. "You are in a very precarious position now. We both know it only takes one tiny mistake for everything to crumble and Marcus is a very intelligent man. By pulling you away from the action, it is ensuring one hundred per cent that you can't do anything that could risk your capture."

I know he's right, deep down. But rage still simmers inside me, making me feel hot and frustrated. I want to hit something. I hate feeling helpless.

"What is the point of you even being here?" I ask. "Your job is to protect me whilst I dream walk and I've barely even done that. You are one of the best-trained soldiers in Athaine, and all you've done is sit next to my bed whilst I dream-walked to my handler."

"We both know I do more than that, Ivy," he says calmly. He reaches out and touches my shoulder.

I close my eyes and sigh. He opens his arms and I lean in to hug him. He holds me tightly and I relax a little. He's right. Again. I needed him here, in this strange world. If he wasn't here, I don't think I would have survived this long. I would have gone mad under the pressure of keeping secrets and lying all the time. I couldn't imagine being in this place all alone, with no one I could truly talk to. I don't think I would have been strong enough and they knew that. Mr Day knew that. He sent me here, but he made sure I had someone to protect me. Not just from my enemies, but from myself.

"Now, tomorrow is going to be a hard day," Connor says, pulling back.

"I know," I gulp. After my two days off, I go back to work tomorrow and the announcement of who got the job will happen. Tears prick my eyes at the thought of seeing Serena celebrate her success. I swallow it down.

"You've got this, Row Row," he says. I smile, feeling comfort in hearing my nickname, even if he shouldn't say it here. It reminds me of who I am.

Rowan Elliot. The daughter of Catherine Elliot. I have my mother's lessons behind me. I will not let her down.

"Let's eat and have a relaxing evening. Forget about everything for a few hours," Connor says.

"Great idea. What are you cooking?" I ask and smile widely.

"Cheeky bitch," Connor jokes and slaps the back of my head lightly. Only seconds later, a messy wrestling match breaks out between us and I forget all my worries as I laugh and squeal as we tackle and tickle each other.

***

The office is quiet. Everyone is waiting for the emails to come through. I already know what mine will say.

Dear Ivy Astor. Thank you for your application. Unfortunately, we will not be taking it further. Thank you, management.

That's what every email has said for all candidates who have applied and been unsuccessful, no matter what part of the interview process they had gotten to. It's so cold, so emotionless and secretive. I mean, it makes sense. All anyone knows about this job is that we'd be working in Marcus' department. No one knows what the role actually is, or even what his department is even really called.

I sigh and try and focus on my work. For a little while, it works. I get a good chunk of my report done without distraction. It all stops when the email notification sounds on my computer.

And there it is.

I close my eyes and let out a long breath, then go to click on it. Just before I do, Serena's phone starts ringing.

Before I can stop them, tears form in my eyes. Dread pools in my stomach, making it feel heavy.

I click the tab where my email is open.

My mouse hovers over the unopened message from management.

"Yes, speaking?" Serena says, talking obnoxiously loudly.

I click on the email.

"Really?" Serena gasps.

I look at the message inside.

Dear Ivy Astor. Thank you for your application. Unfortunately, we will not be taking it further. Thank you, management.

My lips tremble.

Serena squeals with delight.

"Thank you so much!"

I square my shoulders and swallow my tears. I force my emotions down and exit off the email. In the few moments before the chaos unfolds, I practice my smile. My perfect, genuine smile. When I return to the second realm, I am going to thank Mother. If she hadn't made me stand in front of the mirror for hours on end perfecting it, I would not have made it this far.

A smile is a woman's first weapon. She would say.

Today, it will be my shield.

The sound of heels clicking against the floor informs me that Serena is on her way. I turn to face her, my heart racing.

Her red lips are pulled into one of the most smug, arrogant smiles I've ever seen. It takes every fibre in my body to keep my hands in my lap and not smack her across the face.

"Ivy," she says.

"Congratulations," I reply before she can tell me herself. I stand up, smiling wider. "You got the job!"

"I did," she says, "well done on getting so far in the interviews though." Sarcasm laces her tone and her eyes twinkle with joy as she hopes to revel in her achievement and enjoy my disappointment.

"Thank you. You were amazing. You deserve it," I say, my voice coming out genuine. I can see the surprise flash across Serena's features. Her smile falters and she clears her throat.

"Thanks," she says. "Well. I'm sure you'll get it next time."

"I hope so," I say and reach out, squeezing her arm affectionately. "I mean it, Serena. Well done. You will be amazing."

"I know," she says, then turns on her heels and walks away over to her friend group, who are all waiting to embrace her with excitement. As they are squealing with joy, Leo walks over to me.

"Wow," he says, "you amaze me every day."

"What?" I ask, laughing.

"I wouldn't have been able to do that."

"Do what?"

"Be so nice to her," he chuckles.

I shrug. "It is what it is. No point being a bitch about it. I'll just do better next time."

"Hopefully, next time, you're not up against someone who has parents who can pull some strings."

"Don't be mean. Serena got that job off her merit."

Leo tilts his head back and laughs. "That's the funniest joke I've heard all year," he says as he pretends to wipe tears from his eyes. I can't help but smile.

"Get back to work," I scold.

"Alright," he says and leaves to return to his desk, still laughing as he goes.

With a long sigh, I turn back to my computer. Getting back to work is difficult, however. I can hear Serena and her friends talking excitedly about it.

"So, when do you start?" Sophia asks.

"A month," Serena replies.

"Wow, I thought it would be sooner."

"I know," she sighs, "but I have to do some training, and they have to get my security clearance sorted. My family needs to be interviewed and my background checked."

"Wow, it's all so mysterious."

I can't help but roll my eyes. It's probably more the fact that Marcus wants to delay working with her for as long as he can. That thought has me giggling to myself.

"We should all have a big celebration before you leave!" Sophia says.

"Absolutely. Of course, everyone in the office would be invited. We'll book a place out and party all night!" Serena purposely talks loudly, ensuring that everyone can hear her. My teeth grind together and her voice makes me cringe.

"That is a great idea," someone replies excitedly.

The door to Zoe's office opens.

"Alright, that's enough. Congratulations Serena, we will be sad to see you go. But you've had time to have a chat and to celebrate. Talk about parties out of work time and get back to it."

At once, everyone awkwardly scuttles back to their desks. I let out a sigh of relief.

Thank you, Zoe.

We get back to work, but a hum of excitement still ripples through the room. I can hear Serena and her friends whispering to each other. This time, however, it is easy to zone out.

I focus on my work, ignoring everything around me. It isn't until I hear to door to the office open that I look up from my screen.

Serena is already up from her desk and rushing toward the entrance.

Marcus walks in. My heart flutters as I see him. He looks divine in his perfectly tailored navy suit. The way it sits on his tall, muscular body makes me almost melt.

Serena stops in front of him, smiling charmingly.

"Mr Kaiser," she says, "you must be here to congratulate me."

"Congratulations, Serena," he says, his voice deep, and perfect.

"Is that for me?" she asks, and I don't miss the slight bite of her lip. She gestures toward one of the two coffee cups that Marcus holds.

Well, Mr Salt was right about something. Serena does have her eyes set on Marcus.

"It is not," he replies and steps around her. His grey blue eyes catch mine and I can't help but smile. His smile widens slightly as he approaches me.

"Mr Kaiser, how can I help you?" I ask. He holds out his hand, passing me the drink. I nearly shiver as our fingers graze.

"Thank you," I say and this time, I don't have to force my smile as I take the warm cup.

"Do you have any plans for your lunch?" he asks.

"No," I reply.

"Good. Would you like to join me?"

"I would," I reply and stand up.

"Wonderful."

I grab my handbag and step out from behind my desk. Marcus gestures for me to walk ahead of him and I do so. I can feel everyone's eyes on me as I pass but I don't care. I enjoy it.

Serena glares at me and I smile sweetly at her.

"I'll see you after lunch," I say, "and congratulations again."

"Thanks," she says tightly and watches as Marcus and I pass. He steps ahead, opening the door for me. As I pass through, his hand catches the small of my back as he guides me ahead. I almost giggle with excitement.

"Not that way, Ivy," he says.

"Are we not going to the cafeteria?" I ask.

"No," he says charmingly. "I had something else in mind." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 1K 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...
8.6K 926 39
"Your mine," His voice is husky as he looks down at me. I shake me head and take a step back from him only to make contact with the wall behind me. ...
91.5K 4.8K 63
NOW AVAILABLE: On Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and iBooks! http://books2read.com/chainsofsilver If all the world's a stage, then I am utterly screwn... In the...
126K 6K 27
The day that changed my life was the day I ran from it all and made the hardest decision of my life. But I had too, I never got to chose as I was cho...