You can't catch me now. (Cato)

By the7thheroine

"I wont let you die. Promise me you'll get your trident then come find us." He says sternly holding your shou... More

A Storm is brewing.
Prove to them your worth every penny.
The first night and the first day.
The second day and the second night.
Show them what you can do.
The interview of a life time.
Let the games begin.
You need to run.
The trap.
The first game comes to an end.
*The interview for the tour*
*district 11*
*The end of the tour, the end of peace*
*im the bet you lost in the reaping*
*Just try and stop it*
*the quell begins*
*find him*
*tick tock goes the clock*
What do we do next?
Why should we be the ones?
Who do you think you are?

*the first day of training*

305 12 142
By the7thheroine

Watching Johanna walk off, disappearing around the corner made you suddenly come out of your frozen state.

Wow. No wonder she was friends with Finnick. Quickly you turned on your heel, looking towards Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch who still, stood with their jaws somewhat open, Peetas eyes bulging.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow at training?" You ask smiling as you pull on Catos arm guiding him to the doors of the elevator.

"Yeah." Katniss said, her arms now crossed. Her face looked somewhat, angry as she eye'd Peeta. Maybe she was jealous? Of Johanna's comment to Peeta?

...no Katniss isn't like that.

Peeta offered you a tight lipped smile and a nod, his eyes flipping to Katniss through the corner of his eyes, nervous under her harsh gaze.

You offer a single hand wave to Haymitch, who only nods his head as you enter the floor with Cato. His hand is still firmly holding onto yours as you both go towards the door labeled, four.

Your 'flat' was Much bigger than the floor previously given to you in the year before.

Despite it being on the same floor as the tributes from one, two and three it's still ginormous compared to it.

Hell the entire building was huge. It wasn't separate from the training centre like last year, but instead had it built underground.

Cato keeps a hold on your hand as you entered further into the room, pulling you both down towards the sofa. He collapsed with a slight grunt. The clothes he'd been shoved in shifting. You fell nearly onto him at the sudden pull downwards.

"Careful." You huffed, leaning into his side, bringing your legs upwards to rest on the sofa. Cato only rolled his eyes scoffing under his breath, wrapping his bicep around your neck bringing you close enough to press a kiss to your head.

"I can't believe you volunteered." He murmured leaning away. You look towards him, his face had softened. He looked vulnerable. Worried.

"I did it for Annie, she wouldn't have coped." You said leaning down to press a kiss to his hand resting on your shoulder.

"It was stupid to do, god Y/n. You're too reckless. Too kind." He snapped slightly. The hand you'd kissed coming to your cheek.

"Annie helped me, if she went? And Finnick? Finnick would have died saving her, and she would have died by her own hand if he'd died." You snap lightly.

He only hummed. After a long moment of silence he spoke up. "Promise me, you'll stay away from the two from one? Gloss and Cashmere. And Enobaria." He murmured.

"They're the career pack this game. Going for everyone is the strategy they're using." He added on, his grip still tight on you.

You nod. "Did they ask you?"

"Ask me what?" He said looking down at you again.

"To join them, be a career again." You murmured, turning, slightly escaping from his grip.

"Enobaria did. I said no." He said firmly. "Where you go in the arena, or who you're with? I'll be there." His hand went to your face, gently fiddling with the jewellery stuck to your cheeks.

You only let out a small sigh. Of course he had. He'd never leave you.

"You know I'd follow you anywhere too. You're all I have here." You murmur, leaning your head against his.

You really weren't surprised he'd said no. Especially after everything that has happened in the past year. He isn't naive anymore. He knows what the rest of Panem goes through.

"I need a shower." He groaned, as his hand, that he'd attempted to run through his hair, came out covered in gel.

Gross.

He seemed to get an idea, looking between you, and his hand. A small smirk began to come to his cheeks.

"Don't you dare." You hiss trying to back up, away from him on the sofa. He suddenly jumped into action, smearing the gel onto your cheek and into your hair, pressing his lips to yours firmly.

"Love you baby!" He said after pulling back, now on his feet heading towards the door.

"Asshole!" You shout, your hand moving to touch the gel, your cheeks slightly flushed.

Even after everything that was happening. He was still Cato. Still an idiot, your idiot.

Not long after Cato had left, the door opened again, Finnick waltzing in, in his extremely small costume.

"Hey." He called as he headed straight towards the kitchen. "Hi." You called back, shaking your hand of the gel.

"Spoke to some people. Got a list of allies for the games." He said seriously, as he tossed some nuts into his mouth.

"Like who?" You asked curiously.

"Johanna, she thinks you were good with the trident in the last games, Wirees and Beedee but you need to convince them. Then obviously I'm thinking Katniss, Peeta and Cato." He said in between a handful of nuts.

"What do you mean convince them?" You say raising a brow. At least Katniss and Peeta were good for Finnick, so was Cato surprisingly.

"Show them you're worth it. Same with Katniss. They don't know how to feel about you yet." He said with a small shrug.

You nod slowly, taking in the information. Convince Wirees and Beedee, if you could? That would make you bigger than the career pack.

Safer too.

You simply groan, feeling exhaustion begin to take control of your body. You'd shower and sleep. That's it. You turn away from Finnick heading towards the bathroom.

It was going to be a long day tomorrow.

——————————————————————

The uniform surprised you. It was stretchy and thinner than last year. The fabric reminded you of clothes you used to swim in. Not bad at all.

It reminded you of home.

Training was different than last year. Here everyone had somewhat been professional at what weapon they were good at. Not a single task was mandatory at training in.

Entering the floor was Finnick, he flashed you a wink as the door slid open, you were surprised at the segments for training. It was so... personal.

Finnick quickly separated from you, going off to find something to do to train. Great.

As soon as could see into them, in the first two was already occupied. One was mainly empty with Johanna inside, swinging her axe freely, slashing and slamming it through the air.

When her eyes met yours, she winked before going back to what she was doing. Not bad. She would be a good choice for an ally.

In the next one was Cashmere and gloss, throwing and slamming knifes into yellow projections of people that, once hit. Would then fall to the floor into blocks before dissolving.

They were vicious and brutal. No care what so ever. You bet that if a real person were to step in front of them? They wouldn't stop throwing and using their knifes.

Your eyes suddenly landed on Cato, Peeta at his side. Peeta was holding a spear whilst Cato was using a large sword, much like the one he had donned in the games last year.

When Peetas eyes caught yours he offered you a smile, nudging Cato who had easily just cut through one of the projections. Catos eyes met yours with a wink, nodding towards you.

You only take a deep breath, giving him a shaky smile back. You couldn't help the nerves that had begun to build in your stomach. 

In front of you were people who had practised for years to be where they are, you were nobody compared to them.

Your eyes quickly went to the next segment. Enobaria. She was stood with a real guard this time who was training against her, a spear of some kind in hand.

When she noticed you watching her. She flashed her fangs, snarling menacingly at you. Scary... you shivered slightly looking to the next segment.

You could see Katniss, wirees and Beedee all sat together. Katniss demonstrating how to use the materials to make a fire. You felt a wave of deja vu as you approached, watching as they had managed to make a small flame.

"Not bad." You commented as you approached, kneeling next to Katniss who smiled at you. "Not bad indeed." She added lightly. Beedee offered you a small smile. Wirees, eyed you nervously, a small manic look in her eye.

"By the corner of the table..." wirees suddenly spoke up, her eyes no longer on the starting fire. You felt your gaze join hers as you looked up.

"Plutarch?" Katniss asked, eyeing Beedee as he slipped his glasses up his face.

"No.. next to him.." she murmured.

"Forcefield." Beedee said, leaning forward slightly.

"How do you know?" You ask, raising a brow as you shifted, trying to see what they were seeing. Katniss seemed to struggle slightly too, but managed to catch on, her eyes widening.

"The shimmering. Top left hand side. Look." Gently Beedee pushed your face with his finger tips, angling your head, suddenly a small shimmer did catch your eye.

"Woah." You murmured.

"Like glass." Katniss commented.

"To separate us and them." Wirees nodded.

Beedee let his glasses slip back down his face.

"Probably my fault, I shot an arrow at them last year.." Katniss soured. Her eyes casting down.

"Electromagnetic.." Beedee murmured.

"How can you tell that?" Katniss asked, quietly, her eyes flickering between Beedee and Wirees.

They both began to giggle and chuckle maniacally.

They must think you both stupid.

You exchange a look with Katniss nervously as Wirees continued to laugh.

"Is it.. obvious?" You asked raising a brow.

They both seemed to find that even more amusing, leaning backwards on their palms. Their laughter getting even louder.

"They might as well have a sign." Wirees smiled, letting out a sigh of amusement.

"Look around you. All the holograms and lights they flicker. Why?" Beedee asked, looking slightly more serious.

"Because they require more energy for the forcefield?" Katniss tried, looking nervously at Beedee who only smiled. Pleased with her answer.

"There's always a flaw in the system." He said, smiling at you both, offering you a small nod before turning back to his fire, Wirees too.

"I'll see you then, I'm gonna go get more practise with my trident." You said to Katniss as you both began to walk away from the two. She nods slowly, her eyes falling towards Johanna.

"Try training with her." She nods towards Johanna. You could feel yourself stiffen.

Johanna would kick your ass.

"Look. It'd be good too. Shows you're not gonna be just about Cato, me, Peeta and Finnick in the games. You'd be a good team ally for her." She murmured, lightly squeezing your shoulder, her eyes going towards the target practise.

You only let out a heavy sigh, nodding. "Fine. Wish me luck." You say, walking towards where a trident was put on a row of weapons. You quickly grab it, making your way towards Johanna.

Once you were close enough to catch her attention, her eyes were on you like a predator. Standing upright, with sweat running down her face. She gripped her axe tightly in one hand, eyeing you carefully.

"Here to train with the big boys now?" She smiled a toothy grin.

You only nodded. Don't let her intimidate you into loosing. She only lightly swung her axe, nodding for you to come onto the platform.

"I'll go easy on you. Only fair." She shrugged. She then began to get herself into a fighting position, her axe readied to slam into you.

You tightened your grip on the trident, steadying yourself. You took a deep breath, before preparing to fight.

She moved faster than you'd expected.

her axe crashing into the centre of the trident which you'd managed to somehow with the force of the hit, staying balanced.

"Come on! Show me something." Johanna groaned pushing her axe harder against the trident.

You let out a huff. You pushed backwards, quickly ducking causing her axe to fly forward. She tried to swing it down, to hit you, but missed as you quickly stepped back.

Quickly you began to swing, moving your trident as fast as you could, you slam the handle side into Johanna's hip, forcing her off balance.

Within. Split moment she was on the ground, her eyes widened as she looks up at you. "Not bad at all." She smirked, a cunning look on her face.

You let out a few heavy breaths. Spinning the trident carefully, you fix the grip on the handle, turning away from Johanna.

Cato joined your side as you put the trident back on the side you had got it from.

"You looked hot." He stated simply, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"Thanks. You too." You smiled nudging him as you walked over to the hand to hand combat station.

"Let's spar." You said jumping up onto the makeshift stage. He stared at you for a minute dumbfounded.

"I Don't think that's a good idea."  He said.

"Why?" You ask, your arms falling to your side as you stare at him.

Cato only looks between you and his arms before huffing. "Because you just fought with Johanna, you're on adrenaline. Another fight and you'll be exhausting yourself. Also I'll kick your ass and I don't wanna do that to my girl."

"Don't be baby! I won't try too hard. It'll be for fun." You scoff

"Fine." He says shrugging, stepping up to the arena.

"Don't be surprised when I take you down with one hit."

——————————————————————

You felt yourself stretch as you relaxed onto the sofa you heard Finnick re enter the room. You'd returned before him feeling exhausted, choosing to shower and then settle down for a bit.

Cato had chosen after your sparring match to stay longer with Peeta, wanting to practise the spears more as it was his weakest weapon.

"Good news." Finnick called throwing himself down next to you with a heavy sigh.

"Surprisingly people want you as an ally."

You scoff at his comment looking over at him. "Like who?"

"Well, Johanna wants you, so does Wirees and Beedee, and a few others." He shrugs. "Obviously you're allying with Me, Katniss, Peeta and Cato."

"Obviously." You add on, looking at Finnick.

"So what do you think? Who should I look out for?" He asks.

"I want Johanna obviously, and Wirees and Beedee." You say shrugging. They'd be good candidates to ally with, along with Katniss, Peeta, Cato and Finnick.

He nods standing up, stretching his arms over his head. "Tomorrow they're gonna look at skills in the morning For the games. So be up on time." He says as he walks towards the bathroom.

"Then in the afternoon, the interview." He called as he shut the door, the shower turning on loudly.

You let out a huff.

So soon?

You knew you had less training time, you were all victors. You should be ready. But no one thought they'd fight to the death again.

Maybe you did have a some form of a shot? Or maybe not. Maybe you had no chance. You doubt Cato would risk you again, after last games when you left him?

There was no chance.

The next day, Waiting felt like forever.

Everyone was readied for the observation. Sat in pairs or in small groups.

Finnick, was sat beside Johanna, whispering to her quietly. Next to them, Beedee and Wirees. Both who looked now somewhat manic.

You were curled close to Cato, Peeta and Katniss. Catos arm was around you as he watched people enter, then leave. So far district one's female, Cashmere had gone in. Before her, her brother Gloss.

"How are we going to kill these people." Katniss murmured, eyeing everyone carefully.

"Brute force if we have too. No matter what." Cato shrugged. His eyes completely hardened. He squeezed your thigh as he surveyed the room.

"They all are in the same position as us. They don't want to be here." You whisper, your eyes landing on Finnick, who offered you a small smile, and a wink.

The plan was a go.

"District two male, Cato Hadley."

He tensed up. His grip loosening. He eye'd you carefully. Quickly he pressed a small kiss to the corner of your mouth .

"It'll be fine. Show them what you got babe." He whispered. Rising to his full height, turbin on his heel to head out towards 'the performance room'.

Katniss was watching you both with a strange look in her eyes. Her face then turned to Peeta, that look intensifying.

Peeta was staring at the ground.

You lean forward squeezing the twos hands. "We're all gonna get out of here." You smile gently at them. They only looked at you solemnly.

After a long time of waiting, finally, you'd reached district four. Your name being called.

"District four, Y/n L/n." You took a deep breath, rising to your feet, smiling gently at Finnick who gave you a confident nod.

Johanna was eyeing you too, watching as you headed towards the door. You took another deeper breath as the doors opened, revealing a smaller room than last year.

Even closer to your surprise, were the Capitols watchers and game makers. The man who had danced with Katniss caught your attention as he eye'd you carefully.

"You may begin when you're ready. You have three minutes" He said, a small smile on his lips.

Weirdo.

Quickly you moved towards the trident, of course it was there. Grabbing it tightly, you turned to where dummies had been set up.

Go.

You'd never felt like you'd moved so fast, so angry. Swinging your trident as fast and hard as you could, you were ripping the dummies apart inside out. Ripping their heads off, their arms off.

You didn't care what they thought of you. You just wanted to survive.

Once you had torn them to a point of being unusable, you quickly, moved, throwing the trident back where you got it.

Fuck them. Fuck them all.

You smiled a sarcastic grin, moving to the other set of doors. You really did hate the games. You hated the Capitol.

Without much care you continued back to your floor, to your room. To your surprised as you shoved the door open, almost off its hinges, Cato was already inside.

"How'd it go." He asked coming towards you, his arms open for you to collapse it. "Were you badass?"

You almost stumbled into his arms, breathing in his smell. His biceps only tightened around you, littering kisses into your hair.

"It's all gonna be ok... I have a plan for the interview." He murmured. "Might even be show stopping."

You looked up raising a brow. "Show stopping?" you questioned nervously.

He only smirked confidently. He'd really thought about it. Enough for him to be sure. To be confident it would (whatever it was) work.

"It will work." He says pulling you even closer.

——————————————————————

To your surprise, due to the new situation of the capitols victors being in the games, they decided to change the order of the interviews.

Now, having twelves tributes go first, and one's tributes go last.

Almost an hour later after your 'performance.' You had been bought alongside Finnick to another part of the building. One you hadn't been permitted to go to.

You were stood in a small dark room, awaking the interview,

The room smelt of heavy perfume.

You could feel yourself Eyeing the dress. It was more revealing. Made up of mainly nets with some shells attached, and blue fabric that was shimmering from the waist down.

"It's something.." you murmur. Finnick beside you, being covered in his clothes, chuckling,

"It's marvellous thank you." Foie scoffed, running around the room to gather makeup.

"It's brilliant even! especially in the short time I had to get it together." She added dropping the makeup on her workstation. A small sweat breaking out on her powdered forehead.

She almost ripped the dress from the stand as she forced you into it. You could hear Finnicks chuckling turning into cackling as he watched the scene.

Once the dress was on you, Foie began to cover your face in blue makeup, using gems to form scales on your cheeks.

"You look beautiful y/n." She murmured gently.

Pulling away from you, She held the makeup brush tightly as she took in your face. You smiled gently at her.

"Thank you." You murmured.

A knock sounded on the door, loudly. Carefully pushing it open, Finnick stood tall, an arm out for you to take.

"Ready to go?" He called, eyeing you. You nod turning away from Foie. She continued to watch you gently. You carefully linked your arm with Finnicks, beginning to head towards the stage.

"You look nice." He commented, his eyes not meeting yours as he looked for the stage entrance.

"Thank you." You smile, as two peacekeepers came into view. The stage was here, you'd somehow found it without help.

"You're on before me." Finnick murmured, allowing you to move in front of him.

You took a deep breath. Readying yourself for the stage. For Flickerman.

—————————————————————-

Omg.. CATO GOT U 'KNOCKED UP' HES GONNA TELL THE XAPITOL LMAOOO GOSHHH...

IM SO TIRED BC OF SCHOOL BUT WHEN THE WEEKEND COMES I'll BE MORE ACTIVE I PROMISE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 194 18
" ๐š๐š’๐š—๐š—๐š’๐šŒ๐š” ๐š˜๐š๐šŠ๐š’๐š› ๐š›๐š’๐š๐š‘๐š?" "Yes he won his game at 14 , youngest ever, extremely humble" "๐šˆ๐š˜๐šž๐š› ๐š”๐š’๐š๐š๐š’๐š—๐š" " ๐“ฆ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ซ๐“ธ๐“พ๏ฟฝ...
1.8K 108 11
"I've spent all of the love I gave, we were always a losing game," Calliope Whittmore never knew the feeling of true heartbreak until she was wrapped...
513K 12.3K 22
โYou want me to babysit them for you?โž โA little bit of blood is the least of my worries.โž โI don't care how well I do, I don't care if I get hurt or...
290K 6K 30
"don't make promises you can't keep." COMPLETED