With All My Love, Angel _ Ant...

By Kiki_SG2021

Duty, Honor, and Loyalty are the words that Anthony Bridgerton deemed to be his virtues. Yet if you were to a... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Chapter 1: A Drastic Turn
Chapter 2: Wondering Hearts
Chapter 3: The Dinner
Chapter 4: King of the Castle
Chapter 5: Falling
Chapter 6: Confused and Conflicted
Chapter 7: What Do We Do?
Chapter 9: Pieces
Chapter 10: The Secret
Chapter 11: Home
Announcement

Chapter 8: The Lie

372 10 0
By Kiki_SG2021

On the other side of that door, Anthony had popped open a bottle of brandy. Balancing his chair on two legs he leaned back sipping out of the crystal glass. He had gone through the events of the day so thoroughly. He had seen Angel at breakfast, then she had brought tea, then nothing. She had been absent and no one had given him a valid reason as to why. Veronica was very stubborn and deemed Angel's absence was due to a tantrum that she had earlier in the day. In a fury at her statement, she hurried off before Anthony could get any details. He did not believe her since Veronica tended to exaggerate when Angel and her did not see eye to eye. 

He knew it was a big fight since Angel had locked herself away in her chambers. He had wondered if he should go to her to see if he could help her with whatever had happened but he thought better. Blaming that rambunctious thought on his tipsy state, he took another swig of the amber-colored liquors that burned down his throat warming him from the inside. As he contemplated his next move. That's when he heard a knock coming from outside his door. The legs of the chair landed with a thud on the ground as Anthony called out for the person to enter. Not even giving it a thought. 

That's when a small figure slipped through the door clicking it closed before turning to face him. Angel. His thoughts spun as he took a peek at the clock. It was past midnight and even though this wasn't a surprise occurrence, he had not thought that she would appear tonight for their midnight drink. As if it were instinctual he pulled out another glass and poured the liquor for her sliding it across the wood desk as she took a seat in front of him. Naturally, she slumped in a very unladylike manner and downed the entire contents of the glass. 

She slammed the glass back down eyeing the Viscount purposefully. He filled the glass once again. She took up her position in the chair and sipped at the liquor this time around. Silence engulfed the room leaving tensions in the air. Her shoulders were rigid and her lips puckered whether it be in annoyance or from the drink he did not know. He leaned back in his chair nursing his glass as she settled in her seat pondering through her thoughts. 

She dared a look toward him but found herself not able to look away. He held this look of deep concern. It was strange to see it since it usually was never directed at her and something settled in her at the knowledge that maybe Anthony Bridgeton cared for her. She tipped her glass took another sip then placed the glass on the desk. "I needed to speak with you." Anthony nodded gesturing for her to continue. She pushed a strand of hair behind her before she continued.

Her throat became a bit dry. "I spoke to my mother and father today about the idea of leaving Aubrey Hall." Anthony's adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed down her words. He kept his calm façade as she elaborated her story. Getting up she started to pace in front of his desk as she told him the details of their conversation. She explained the fight she had with her mother. The look that her father gave her at her resistance and at her outburst toward the end. She had tried to reason with them she had explained why she could not leave Daphne, Colin, Benedict, Violet, and even... She stopped her pacing once his name almost escaped her lips. 

She looked up at him her face painted pink with embarrassment. Anthony still held some concern in his eyes for Angel as he waited. "Anthony I must stay. Please if you were to say something surely they would listen." He had a pensive look on his face as he placed a hand to his chin his eyebrows furrowing creating a deep line between them. She started to pace again rambling on. "If I stay I can help the girls and now that Violet is more herself she can also help me. We could continue as we are with the games and books. Even us Anthony we can continue our routine. I can bring the tea in the afternoon and our drink at the end of the day. Nothing would have to change." 

Anthony remained as he was but Angel continued to pace not knowing what to do she could only place her hope in Anthony. She had been there from the beginning she couldn't leave them now and maybe, maybe he didn't want her to leave either. "Why." his voice stopped her in her tracks. She turned to him as her hair whipped around her. Her eyes were large and glassy making the green in them sparkle. Anthony only looked at her as he waited for a response. She shuttered out "Why, why what?" Anthony sighed looking a bit annoyed. "Why do you wish to stay?" He said a bit harshly. 

Her mouth fell open as she stared at him. "Anthony I just told you why..." "No you haven't, you told me why you should stay but you didn't tell me why you want to." She swallowed as her eyebrows raised in question. "I wish to be here for your family Anthony. Is that so wrong?" He rubbed his brow with a hard look on his face. "No, but there is no need for you to be here." Her lips trembled as she held back a cry. "Anthony surely you could not mean that." He glared at her. "You have helped us much these past months Angel but your time here seems to be up. I am not one to go against what your parents think is best for you and I will not start now." "Anthony I.." she was stunned, and he took the opportunity to continue. 

"My family is indebted to you and your family, especially after the loss of my father. You have helped all of us and I recognize this but you should go." Her mind was spiraling out of control as his words sunk in. In a moment her body and mind had calmed. She looked straight at him, truly looking at him she thought for the first time. Her mind was not blinded by this attachment that she had formed to him. No, it was clear the veil had been lifted. 

She could see his look of determination as if he had made up his mind on something. Gone was the boy who smiled at her at the dinner table and made her laugh over a nice drink. No, he had regressed into the boy she had hated all these years. A lump formed in her throat. "Do you mean to brush off our friendship Anthony? Is this why you are acting so unlike the person I have gotten to know." She would not cry she would never cry not in front of him. 

Her gaze did not waver as she stared him down. He shook his head. "I am only being reasonable. You have stayed the appropriate amount of time, the mourning period has passed, and your friendship cherished throughout this hardship. Now you must get back to your life. As to our friendship, it does not have to end. We will see each other when the families come together". Angel felt like she was being stabbed and each word that left his mouth continued to push the knife deeper and deeper into her heart. This was how he felt and how he saw her. She was just the girl that he was obliged to be around, the girl that meant absolutely nothing to him. Less than nothing since it seemed too easy to completely disregard her and forget everything. 

She felt silly at the moment as if she was losing her mind but she could not show that, not now. "Of course, we will see you over the holidays as we always do and you will of course visit since our families are clos...." "Anthony!" She had shouted interrupting his annoying ramblings of the ongoings of their lives. Her eyes narrowed as she bit her bottom lip contemplating for only a second before deciding to ask what was truly on her mind. "Anthony." She slowly got closer to the desk holding his gaze with those emerald eyes. "Do you mean to tell me that I mean so little to you, that after all this time that nothing has sprung between us?" 

Anthony sighed closing his eyes only to open them with an unwavering look. "I have acknowledged our friendship Angel and we shall continue it if that is what you wish." She felt her eye twitch in irritation. "What I wish, what I wish! Do you mean to tell me that after all this time after all we have been through and shared? All the late nights and looks across the table, you mean to tell me that you have no af.." Before she could finish Anthony slammed his hand onto the desk "BANG!" it reverberated around them, as a silence took up the space between them. She recoiled at the sound jumping a little from the abruptness. "Don't you dare.. Finish. That. Sentence." His lips were held in a grim line as his eyes lit with anger. 

She realized now what this was about. He sat back in his chair dismissing her and picking his drink back up settling his eyes on the desk. Angel started her trek to the door but before her hand could touch the handle that feeling that had been shoved to the depths of her soul bubbled up. She grimaced as all the feelings she had ignored took up every corner of her body, mind, and soul. Anthony looked at her eyebrows raised. "I said to leave Angel". Her hand tightened into a fist and her teeth clenched before releasing "You are a coward." She whispered. 

Anthony's eyebrows furrowed not hearing the words but knowing that they were aimed at him. "What?" She spun around on her heel slowly to look at him. "I said. You are a coward." He felt a familiar twitch in his jaw. The words ringing in his ears. "I am not, I am being...." "Cruel that is what you are being. Brushing me aside as if I mean absolutely nothing. How could you Anthony how can you deny everything that we have been through together". He raised his voice interrupting her. "I have done no such thing. I have said you have been a true friend to this family and now that the season is at its end you should go home as you do every year". "But it's not as it was Anthony, Edmond is gone, your mother's heartbroken your siblings are lost and you sit here in self-isolation pretending as if none of it is happening. Yet you claim that you are doing everything you can for your family. I am here running around like a fool trying to assist in all matters as if I am the one that is running the estate." "And no one has asked you to do so! You appointed yourself as matriarch and decided to take up the responsibilities, no one asked and no one wanted you to! Everything would have been fine with or without your help!". 

He ran a hand down his face as Angel stared at him with a hurt expression. Her fingers were digging into her hands as she looked at him and stared her emotions indecipherable. She breathed a sigh. He was leaning on the table hands splayed out. "Angel I thank you for what you have done but when the time comes I believe it is best that you take your leave. We all must move on, it's for the best." The problem with this was that Angel could not hear a single word Anthony was saying. She was standing there practically begging for him to let her stay. Leaping at the chance to be with them just a bit longer, and all he could offer her was practical advice. As if nothing had happened as if everything would go back to the way it was.

"You are a coward Anthony Bridgerton". She said once again, firmly holding on to the last bit of strength she had in herself to look at him, speak to him. She was on the edge and he was trying to push her over. "I have been nothing but kind. I love your family as if they were my own flesh and blood. Even after all the years of bickering, hateful comments, and cruel games, I pushed it all aside. I did it because, under all of the childish nonsense, I also care about you, Anthony. I thought I had a friend in you, someone I could confide in and go to when I needed to. Yet you have made it perfectly clear that my use in your life has expired." She huffed at the last bit. Anthony though had kept his gaze fastened on her not able to look away as she ripped at him. "I see now where we stand and I will not forget it not now nor ever." 

The feeling felt bitter as it settled deep within her making room to bring the inevitable conclusion that she had refused to acknowledge for so long. She nodded her head stepping back away from him. She dug her nails deeper into her palm wanting to feel anything. Anything else. "As you wish Viscount Bridgeton". He was leaning on the desk with both fists tightening over the dark wood.

Anthony's mind was going at a pace that made him feel dizzy and confused. He felt out of his body the words and actions not feeling like his own. But it was. All the fear all the pain and the idea of this had consumed him. This was it. "Just leave". He looked at her deeply wanting her to see the finality in his gaze. Angel felt unsteady. Questioning everything. Yet under all that she still felt the one thing she had hoped she never would feel, heartbreak. 

She bowed low turning away and walking to the door before slamming it shut behind her. Once out of the mess she briskly walked back to her room. Yet again her feet had not taken her there. Once at the door, she quickly went inside. Not hesitating one bit  That's the last thing that she remembered before leaving. It was the wee hours of the morning and she had woken up her ladies, determined in her pursuits before the sun could break the dawn. 

Hello, I hope everyone is enjoying the story! I am not going to go into detail as to why I have been missing but I want to finish this story. I'm going to try and keep to the same day every week but please don't hate me if I don't. I appreciate everyone sticking around and reading! 

-Kiki

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 2.2K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...
936K 20.8K 46
βˆΎβœ§γ€‚MORE ۡ∾ ❛AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM ABOUT THEY DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY DID BEFORE I JUST WANNA GET BACK TO US CAUSE WE USED...
466 20 5
Emmeline wished for a family like that of the Bridgerton family. She grew alongside them and watched them. That kind of love and feeling of family wa...
201K 6.7K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...