Chapter 9: Pieces

The next morning Anthony had woken up with a splitting headache. He had felt as though his head was being bashed against the wall. As he went to get up he found himself in the mess that covered the floors of his office. The room was in shambles, books thrown, papers ripped and burned, furniture broken fallen all over the floor, glass pieces that had shattered covered the space. Even the opulent wool carpet had been destroyed with ink and wine stains that created an intricate pattern ruining the original design. He did not entirely remember when he had decided to demolish his office. He assumed it was somewhere after his eighth maybe tenth drink... or was it the bottle? 

He was just wearing a dress shirt, pants, and one boot? 'How did he lose a boot?' He thought to himself looking at his bare toes as they touched the wet carpet. Running his hands through his already messy chestnut locks he was washed over with a sickly feeling, he probably looked as horrid as he felt. He slowly moved toward the door angsty to get to his bed chambers, when someone came flying in. "Oh god, what has happened in here". It was the voice of Benedict, lord how his voice grated his nerves. "Anthony what has happened!" Turning on his heel to look at the Lord of the manor his mouth dropped. "What has happened to you? You look dreadful." He waved a hand in front of his nose. "You smell just as you look, how much did you have to drink." Anthony was leaning on the door with a hand holding what he assumed was his brain in his skull from bursting. 

"Too much, now if you don't mind some of us must rest, please have someone come in here and clean up won't you." He waved his hand as he left the room though Benedict followed. "I'm assuming that you have no idea what has happened then?" Anthony continued to walk up the steps to the second floor to escape his rambling brother. Yet it was a slow assent as he practically clung to the banister. "Could you be quick to say what you wish I have had a difficult evening and my only desire is to sleep." Benedict grabbed his brother before he could enter his chambers. He was only a foot away from his room where his four-poster bed called to him.  

"I believe you should prepare yourself." Anthony turned toward the door entering in only to find his room destroyed. The bedding was ripped, the furniture broken, glasses shattered, and feathers littered the entire room. The banister on the bed was damaged. Anthony turned to his brother his head still beating on its own. But the vein in Athony's forehead was ever present, his face a shade of a dark Bordeaux. Benedict looked sheepish but before he could say a word he stormed off screaming. "ANGEL!!" His footsteps could be heard as he stomped down the hall. "Angel! Where are you and face me now!" He marched right to her bedroom finding it untouched as if she had never been there. He turned to Benedict still pulsating with anger. "Where is she." He ground out through his teeth. 

Benedict looked down at his shoes not knowing entirely what to say. "She's.. gone." As if he had not heard him, Anthony grumbled harshly "WHAT!" slightly spitting as he said it. "Do not try and protect her Benedict she has no excuse for what she has done." He started to march off down to the parlor. "No, really she's left. Her father had gone to speak with her this morning and had found her missing. She did leave a note but I don't think that you.." Anthony stopped in his tracks bounding toward Benedict. "Show me the damned note!" Benedict quickly pulled it out of his pocket handing it to him. 

Dearest family,

I have decided that you were entirely right and that our time at Aubrey Hall has run out. Due to the season's end, I have packed up my things and have gone to our family home in London. I await your arrival. Do not worry for I have left every one of the Bridgertons a note explaining my abrupt departure. I did not wish to leave under these circumstances but my studies must start once again, and I wish to be reacquainted with the ladies of my company especially now that they are all back in London. 

I await your return, Mama and Papa.

Love, 

Angel 

Anthony looked stunned at the note. She had disappeared into the night with her staff and belongings. She was probably halfway to London by now. Anthony turned to Benedict. "What did she leave you?" Benedict grabbed the note Angel had personally left for him handing it over to Anthony to read.

Dearest Benedict,

I am sorry for my sudden disappearance. This season has been exceptionally difficult with the loss that we all have suffered this season. I would like you to know that my door is always open to you and your family, an open invitation to come and visit whenever you wish. As for my reasoning on why I have left, I can not go into detail but I'm sure you have come up with a few ideas of your own. I believe you know the extent of it but I shall leave the complications at Aubrey Hall. I look forward to our next meeting. 

Sincerely,

Angel

Anthony was quite annoyed with this one being so personal and secretive especially since this was his brother. He pushed it down knowing that this would not help the current situation. He was a bit hesitant to ask yet courage found him quickly. "Was there a letter left for me?" He had said barely above a whisper. As Benedict looked at his oldest brother he could have sworn that a look had crossed his face and even though he could not place it, he knew that it was a vulnerable one. Benedict looked ashen opening and closing his mouth but no words were said. Anthony only grew angry. He had known the likelihood but this had made him certain that what had provoked her was their chat last night. She was a vindictive woman. She was up to her old games, destroying his room leaving him no note, and disappearing without word or warning. 

He was far too tired to deal with this but he could not imagine what else there could be left to do, to say, all he wanted was sleep. He threw the notes back at Benedict and took off toward Angel's room. He ripped the door open before slamming it behind him. He glanced around seeing that everything had been placed exactly as it was left. It was as if she was never here, only the faint smell of lavender lingered in the air. The only evidence of her existence.

He went toward the bed sitting at the edge before taking off his lone shoe and lying down on the silky sheets. He pushed himself toward the down pillows finding a comfortable spot before placing his head down. Everything could be dealt with when he was well-rested and once his head didn't have its own heartbeat. Finally, he was able to close his eyes when he felt something under the pillow. He pulled at it finding that a small piece of paper had been tucked beneath. 

He opened it seeing that something had been written inside. "Until we meet again" was written in perfect curly script. At the bottom, it was signed, Angel. He crumpled the piece of paper tossing it onto the floor. He rolled over staring up at the ceiling grabbing the pillow next to him he covered his face screaming into it as loud as he could. Breathing heavily from his respite he caught the smell of lavender once more terminating from the pillow he held. Sleep did not come easy to Anthony Bridgerton as a familiar nerve had been ignited once more.  

Hello! Sorry for the delay. I am trying to keep up as much as I can but I can assure you I am still motivated. I really love these characters and I really love exploring Angel which will be fun as she changes and grows. Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!