Favorite Lesson (Slam Dunk Fa...

By Yel_lue04

"I think, wherever you go, people will throw rocks on things that shine. I just want to blend in this time ar... More

一:春(Spring, New Beginning )
二Lesson 1: Happenstance
三Lesson 2: Line Without A Hook
四Lesson 3: We're Humans, We Make Mistakes
五Lesson 4: Attention and Affection
六Lesson 5: When it Rains, It pours
七Lesson 6: Rewards and Consequences
八Lesson 7: Subtleness
九Lesson 8: Not Just Enough Yet
十Lesson 9: Back on our Feet
十二Lesson 11: Honest to the Self
十三 Lesson 12: A Little Bit of Everything
一四 Lesson 13: Not The Lucky One
十五 Lesson 14: A Line That Can't be Crossed
十五Lesson 15:Everything I Ever Wanted
十六 Lesson 16: Courage to Stay True
十七 Lesson 17: Back to the Center Stage
十八 Lesson 18: On Our Way
十九 Lesson 19: Of Our Endings
二十終わる Final Lesson
Prologue: Within Those Two Years

十一Lesson 10: Perfection

38 2 0
By Yel_lue04

Mitsuyoshi Residence

Rukawa sits in front of the old man with a serious face. The rejection he heard was enough to make her sit like a rock. As a sportsman, it is customary and a form of respect to bid farewell and to ask for the blessing of their coach. 

A person jumped on Anzai's lap and hugged his belly. "Anzai-jiiii~!", the gleeful voice filled the room that was just occupied with silence. "Hmmm", the old man just smiled and looked down at the youngster. "Brother said that you getting better. Don't get too sick! By the way, your team did great during the district game. Sendo-san was moping around so I did the honor of showing him around the place. I can't get enough of killer stares darting on me. Anzai-ji, Sendo-san's a better player than Rukawa-kun but I guess Shohoku also have other basketball junkies aside from those tw-", Amane felt the presence of someone else and turned her head in front of Anzai. She hoped that the earth will just open and swallow her. 

Me and my big mouth!!!

She knelt properly and bowed with her head hitting the floor. "Sorry, I didn't see you there", Amane mentally scolded herself for bursting out all of a sudden. Although, in her defense, who knows that Rukawa will be visiting Anzai on a weekend. The lady raised her head and saw that the ace finished his drink. "I'll go and refill your tea", she volunteered and grabbed on the cup. 

Kitchen

Amane sighed and received a pat on the back. It was the old man's wife. "It's been a while, dear", Mitsuyoshi Kanna smiled. "I just came by to drop Anzai-ji's medicine. Who knew that he had a visitor", the lady pressed her lips and squinted her eyes. "It's a good thing you came. The atmosphere went thick just a while ago", Kanna narrated about Rukawa telling his coach that he will go to America to improve himself. 

"So, he's not satisfied with his level. Of course, he is not", Amane nodded and peeked at the two having a staring competition. "I'll be leaving, Coach. Thank you for letting me in", Rukawa stood and bowed. "Think about it again. Before going to America, why don't you become Japan's number one player first", he reminded. 

As the lad left, Amane hid behind the post. 

Street

Rukawa walks with questions in mind. A car honked at him. "Hop in", Kanna invited. The tall lad nodded and thought that it would spare him from the heat. 

Car

"Hi there", Amane waved and looked away. She stayed quite far from the lad since they are both sitting on the backseat. "You might be curious of Anzai's rejection for your to go to America", Kanna can see him from the front mirror. After sometime, the coach's wife informed him about the story of a player who went to America. 

"It takes a lot to be the best in our craft but a good master is a blessing", Amane commented with a calm face. "Uhm", Rukawa nodded in agreement. "Well, it's still your choice. Though, Coach is right. You have to learn English, like super crazy. They have a lot of slangs in there", she panicked and started blabbering about the difference of culture. 

After sometime, they became silent. One, because Rukawa already is sleeping. Amane stared at the road and have some things in mind. Kanna just respected the lady's quiet moment.

I wonder where I am also going. 

Having a hobby seems exciting. 

 The old lady is secretly admiring how the energetic child that Ryou brought in their home turned out to still be surrounded with brightness. She's feeling awkward in front of Rukawa but that is just a part of growing up. 

Mizutani's Residence

The lady closed her room's door and sat down, leaning on the wall. 

She actually pointed out Rukawa being a loser as he still lost to Sendo. She grabbed a book and tried to get rid of the embarrassment. The girl couldn't get it off her mind. She needs to apologize tomorrow. Haruko and her friends will be there so it will be fine. That's what Amane thought. 

The Next Day, 

Shohoku High

Amane wore a hoodie and pair of sunglasses. She wore jeans in order not to be identified as a student from Takezono. The guard suddenly was not around when she entered so the girl took the opportunity to slip in. The practice games wouldn't end that fast so she thought of roaming around for a while. 

She ended up at the back of the gymnasium where two small windows are located. Amane can clearly see the players having their practice. There is a huge door but it was filled with girls who are cheering for Rukawa. Amane sighed feeling the depletion of her motivation to apologize to the lad. 

It's not like he cares anyways. 

Maybe for just a little. 

But, he obviously gets tick off when I bring out Sendo-san in our conversation. 

She heard a commotion and it was a heated battle between Rukawa and the seniors. Amane continued watching and noticed that there is something bothering the man. She wonders if it's about the conversation he had with Coach Anzai the other day. Amane shook her head. "That's not a good way to play, Rukawa-kun", she said under her breath. 

On the other side, Haruko with her newly cut hair was hoping to get a glimpse of Rukawa and somehow, if he can at least bat an eye for her. The excitement she felt was also affected with how Rukawa performed during the game in Ryonan. A lot of audience were praising how he's being at par with last year's new rookie, Sendo. 

She peeked and saw how Rukawa is focused on the game. He is dominating the court with even the upperclassmen being pushed behind. The intensity in his aura was somehow intimidating and there was something about it that felt like pushing Haruko away. 

Who am I trying to impress? Rukawa-kun had always been focusing on basketball? How could I probably thing I could stand a chance?

She had teary eyes and her two friends noticed it. "Let's go", she called them. The ball was thrown outside and Rukawa was the one who picked it up. As he stooped down, she saw a person at the back peeking on their practice game. 

-End of Practice-

Back of the Gymn

Amane was circling around strategizing on how she will approach the lad. It's not a good timing since he looks really intense at the point of being intimidating. She slapped herself and stepped back. She felt someone's feet. As she turned, she immediately bowed and apologized. "For what?", the familiar voice made her calm. The sound of his voice wasn't as how he appears. It was gentle and even soft at times. 

The lady raised her head and scratched her nape. "Well, Rukawa-kun. I came here to apologize for one thing but I think I also want to say something else after watching your practice", Amane braced her arm. "Basketball isn't an individual sport. It's not a game where you say "I won" in the end but "We won!!", the lady raised her fist as a victory post. She received a blank look from Rukawa. She cleared her throat and patted the lad's arm. "Not that I know the pressure to truly desire something, I'm still working on that. I just hope you won't forget the charm of why you started playing basketball. Don't think that I am comparing you to Sendo-san but that guy enjoys basketball to the fullest. And I think, that's one thing he's better at as of this time. Just in case you're looking for why he is a better player", Amane pointed out. 

I was about to apologize but I ended up explaining my statement yesterday. 

"Uhm", Rukawa gave a small nod. Amane's eyes widened. It's not usual for the man to agree and it is more surprising since it is a comment regarding his favorite thing to do, basketball. 

You're talented and better than everyone else. 

But that's it, you are just better. 

Maybe you should consider giving more effort. 

Perfection is the art of mastering your craft. 

Why don't you start being serious even in just one thing?

"Here, I cooked you some food. Training's tough, I guess", Amane passed a paper bag and ran away. "She is fast. Ah, I remember. She was part of the track club", Rukawa tilted his head. 

Chapter end. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 215 20
❝Talk❞ Slam Dunk fanfiction featuring Rukawa Kaede x OC Language: English Miyako Rei is an introvert who care less about drama's in her life. As she...
158K 4.4K 38
Airi Yunabami, a wealthy 15 year old girl, begins her first year of highschool in Rakuzan High after transferring from Hyakkao Private Academy. There...
727 25 22
A life she had once forgotten. Once she set foot on a place she called home, will it bring her piece of mind and heal her from her past? Or it will b...
179K 4.5K 28
What if the Miya twins had a younger sister? What if their parents split up when they were young? Read to find out what happens next. Having be...