Hide Seek Kill - A Thriller N...

By relreal

***beta readers copy | final draft coming 2024*** What happens when some of the world's most dangerous young... More

Author's Note
One: Elizabeth
Two: Amelia
Three: Chase
Four: Elizabeth
Five: Zach
Six: Elizabeth
Seven: Amelia
Eight: Zach
Nine: Chase
Ten: Elizabeth
Eleven: The Host
Twelve: Chase
Thirteen: Elizabeth
Fourteen: Amelia
Fifteen: Elizabeth
Sixteen: Zach
Seventeen: Chase
Eighteen: Felix
Nineteen: Amelia
Twenty: Elizabeth
Twenty-One: Amelia
Twenty-Two: Chase
Twenty-Three: Amelia
Twenty-Five: Zach
Twenty-Six: Chase

Twenty-Four: Emilie

3 2 0
By relreal

Emilie is suspicious of many things. For example, she is suspicious of the English monarchy. Even though she will never admit it, she believes there is absolutely no way it is possible it has stayed in a single family for over eleven centuries. Felix has told her several times that she needs to stop reading conspiracy theory magazines, but her answer is always the same.

She will do what she wants.

The same answer applies to Emilie's current state. Felix had warned her about London, and she feels it was completely uncalled for. It's not like he's done anything wrong.

Yet, the quiet voice in the back of Emilie's head reminds her. There is always a possibility. And you don't even know what he's done to get in this mansion.

But she thinks she's fallen for him. After what happened between her and Benjamin Stone, she didn't think she was capable of love again. She still remembers the day he snapped, the day she left him.

She still remembers when she found out he was shot. Emilie isn't quite sure who killed him, but she has her suspicions. The news said he was killed with a shotgun. The American police—Emilie is suspicious about them, as well—had many leads, but none of them were fruitful.

She's never mentioned to anyone the fact that, the night she dumped Benjamin Stone, Felix was sitting at the table, cleaning his favorite pump-action handgun.

In addition to her romance problems, she now has Amelia Taylor to contend with.

She's almost positive Amelia is playing her. Or trying to, at least. The stunt she pulled in the teaching room made her want to puke. Talking about her feelings isn't something she does in her free time. In fact, she doesn't do it at all if she has a choice. And usually Felix doesn't give her a choice. She can only be grateful that, if she really isn't up to talking, he lets it go.

Kissing London was a low blow, but Emilie knows how to play dirty, too. All she'll need to do is find out what Amelia cares about the most and rip it from her hands.

She can't help but wonder what Amelia's end game is. She's never heard of her before this Game, which means she either isn't notable, or she is really good at staying under the radar.

She hopes it's the former. If Amelia is a nobody, then it will be easy to get on her good side. Every compliment said, every door held, it will all be worth it in the end.

Even if it will cost her sanity.

"What could it possibly mean?" London asks from Emilie's right, leaning over a table.

She takes a closer look at the clue: I get dirty when I become white. The answer is obvious to Emilie.

"It's a blackboard." Amelia beats her to saying the answer.

But she doesn't seem happy with the results.

"Wow! I wouldn't have thought of that, Mia!" Emilie says in the kindest voice she can muster. It practically drains all of her energy just to say that one sentence.

"This is just another point towards girls being smarter than boys."

"Shouldn't we be finding a blackboard right now? If we want to win this game, we need to be quick,—" Felix cuts in, trying to prove a point.

"—quicker than everyone else." Emilie adds to her brother's statement. She starts to walk out of the room, Felix at her side before he stops, turning to look behind him at idiotic Amelia.

"Are you coming?" he asks.

Wait, does Mia look...nervous? Why is she nervous?

"I-I'd rather not go back to the teaching room..." she says timidly.

She cannot be serious. Is this another one of her tricks?

Felix gives her a soft look and Emilie thinks that she's going to puke. If her brother is falling for that witch then she'll kill Mia herself!

"Come on," he says. "I'll make sure there's nothing specific on the board before you walk in?" Whatever Felix is talking about, it seems to convince Amelia, because she nods and walks to where we are.

"You know, it's kinda creepy how you guys do that." London rushes to Amelia's side, talking between the twin's heads. Felix subtly kicks London's ankle, causing him to almost stumble into Amelia. Seeing this, Emilie glares at Felix as he pretends not to see her.

She wonders whether he wants to murder London. If Felix brought his gun, London is as good as dead. If he can be worried about London, she can be worried about Amelia. And with her knives, Amelia is as good as dead.

"Hey, Emilie," Felix says, "Can we talk for a moment?"

Emilie nods and follows Felix down the hallway, taking one last look at London and Amelia. Once they were out of earshot, Felix turns to her.

"I spoke to Mia." Felix crosses his arms.

"You did?"

"Yeah. She told me about you and London."

"She did what?"

"Mia was—is—worried about you. She just wanted to—"

"Amelia Taylor is a coldblooded manipulator!" Emilie interrupts her brother, something which she always scolds him for doing.

"Don't try to distract me, Em! She isn't a manipulator, just someone who is concerned for your wellbeing!"

"Concerned for my well being? Fee, she was kissing London! Maybe she needs to be concerned for herself first!" Emilie can't believe it. She won't believe it. Her own brother—her twin—is choosing to believe someone he just met over his own sister! Sometimes, Emilie doesn't know how her brother is so smart if he is being dumb.

"Exactly! He can't be trusted! Remember what happened with Ben?" She is about ready to curse Felix for bringing Benjamin Stone up.

"Of course I remember what happened! I was there, Fee!" This causes Felix to shut his mouth and take a moment to consider his next words.

"Just...Listen to me for once. I don't like that guy. And if he hurts you—"

"He won't, Fee. He's different from Benjamin."

"And how do you know that? How do you know he won't hurt you?" Felix's shoulders sink.

"I don't know! I honestly don't! But I have faith that he's different."

"If there's even a chance that he'll hurt you, I don't want you with him."

"You don't control my life, Felix." A humorless laugh fills the cold hallway, "And if you ever think that you do, I will be sure to put you back in your place."

Emilie begins to walk away but then stops in her tracks.

"If you continue down this path, Felix," she calls over her shoulder. "You're no better than Ben."

Amelia and London are obviously trying not to look at her or Felix, instead taking great interest in the floor and roof.

Thunder crashes outside and a lightning flash lights up the room. Amelia jumps and London looks around cautiously; Felix's hand goes to his pocket while Emilie doesn't even flinch.

So he did bring his gun.

Thanks to that evil witch, Emilie would have to watch herself around London and make sure that Felix knows of nothing.

She knows her brother's limits, and if he has even one doubt that Presley is a good guy, he won't hesitate to eliminate him from the game.

Just like he hadn't hesitated with Alfred.

And Donald.

Emilie resists the urge to roll her eyes. How had she let Felix obtain so much control over her and her love life? He claims he is protecting her.

More like suffocating her.

She traces the dark patterns of the maroon walls, looking up at the ornate chandeliers lining the ceiling. There are many reasons why she hates this place, but perhaps the strongest one being the fact she is stuck and can't get a good read on what the Host's true motives are.

What was she doing before she ended up in this terrible situation?

Her mind goes blank when she tries to conjure memories from the two weeks before getting stuck here.

It's as if her mind had been wiped. The real question is whether or not she is the only one having this problem. With how things are going so far, who knows? The Host has one twisted plot stirring up. Zuri is already dead and James most likely will be next.

Chase and Vivica have been spotted together exploring one of the bedrooms. Whether or not it was the room they were exploring or each other is the real question.

Somehow they ended up in the drawing room with some of the others. It's amazing how fast news spreads throughout the mansion. People are quick to tattle on each other and point fingers, giving away secrets and any kind of dirt they can get their deceitful hands on.

"After you," Felix says, holding the door open for the others. One by one, they filed into the teaching room, with Amelia lagging behind. Only after Felix erased the board did she enter the room.

It seems that she does have a weakness after all.

And Emilie would be sure to exploit it.

"Dude! That was probably the next clue!" James scolds. Felix sends a scowl his way before looking over the blackboard.

"Are we sure this is the only one in the mansion?" London asks.

Remembering something, Emilie walks over and feels the framing of the board. About halfway across the bottom pane, her fingers brushed something peeking out from under the wood.

"You're welcome." She hands the next clue to London who has the honor of opening it and reading it aloud to the others.

"Thanks." He smiles sweetly at Emilie and she wishes that she could forever capture that look, the way he's eyeing her.

Nope. Don't get too attached. If you do, Felix will end things for good.

Her mind seems to be at conflict with itself today.

Screw him! Why should you let him dictate your life and live in fear because he has no boundaries as to where he can step in? Let him! Then you can show him the consequences of getting involved.

"'Am I half full, or half empty? Either way, I'm not entirely empty-- you'll find the next clue in me!'" London tosses the paper onto the desk. "Seriously? A glass? This is where we're going with this, you stupid Host?"

While it's a stupid clue, Emilie knows exactly where to find it.

"The kitchen," she says, looking at everyone. "It'll be in the kitchen."

James leans forward, his palms flat on the desk. "Luckily for all of you, I know exactly where the kitchen is."

It's time to do her thing.

"Oh, we know James. That's where you got the sandwich you used to poison Zuri." She relishes the look of surprise on his face. "It's no secret that it was you. You two argued and bickered, but it was more than that..."

She takes a pause for dramatic effect, eyeing everyone in the room.

"She was your ex and you two very well knew who each other were. To get your revenge, you ended things once and for all."

Everyone stares at her, gaping. It seems she is still able to surprise others. What she said was just an educated guess, based on their body language and behavior. It seemed obvious to her that the two had been in some relationship in the past.

"Okay, I guess you caught me," James says, his eyes fixed on the ground, not matching the sly smile that sits on his pretty face. "But you can't do anything about it."

"Can't I?" In a flash, Emilie has her knife out of her pocket and inches away from James' neck. "You are surrounded by many people who would be happy to have you dead. I'd be careful about what you say."

A brief flicker of another time and another knife passes through her mind before she quickly shoves it away.

Never mind Ben. He's dead.

Emilie's only concern right now is making it out of this mansion.

And if anyone's going to win this deceitful Game, she decides, it's going to be her

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

515K 14.7K 55
Finished; September 13th 2019 #10 abuse #10 teenfiction #8 stepdad #6 hope #3 badboys #3 broken #1 escape #1 goodgirl #1 hate #1 stepbrother...
Lie is Just a Word By Lena

Mystery / Thriller

352 24 21
A young teen was found dead, murdered at a party Everyone around had a motive. The only question is who actually did it. Truth, the word that cuts...
854 100 37
The New World has been the last peaceful and resourceful country for nearly two hundred years. Or at least that's what they say. Samantha Ivory has b...
439K 17.4K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...