Turning Tides | P. Jackson Bo...

By MayLarie10

~Book Dedication~ For the Black Sheep of the family. Even though you try somehow it's still your fault. You'r... More

Cast
The Gods
I'm A What?
You're A Real Problem
We've Got A New Kid [pt 2]
Let's Go On A Quest
Let's Go On A Quest [pt 2]
Was That A Chimera?
It's Ares
Who Are You?
This Isn't Good
Where's Luke?
She's Your Sister!
He's A Cyclops
Grover's Wedding Dress
We're Leaving
He's Afraid of The Dark
I'm Going To Die In The Sea
My Name is Thalassa
You Need A Little Help?
I'm Sorry Ayden
Thalia
Prophesiezed
Merry Christmas
Hello Again
I Refuse
Family
Immortality
First Greek Party
Camp
Brutal
She's Not Judgemental
Esmeray Cromwell
Grover's In Trouble
Addy
Mr. Di Angelo
Always
The Fate of Olympus
I Promised You
Brat
I Know You're Tired
Ayden Made A Gun
Is This A Date?
I'm Having Fun
Updated Cast *OLDER*
Real Talk
Happy Birthday
God Killer
Wanted
Lo Mein
I'm Ready To Hurt Some Shiny Kids
For Old Times Sake
Bigger Threats
Swear On The River Styx
Dylan's Candy Shop
Eris Cursed Her

We've Got A New Kid

150 9 0
By MayLarie10

Book 1 - The Lightning Thief

Two weeks later

"Ayden!" Luke called. Ayden turned teleporting in front of him as he jumped a little. He put a hand to his chest.

"You gotta get used to that," She patted his arm. "What's up?" She looked around seeing that Clarisse wasn't in the cabin.

"We've got a new kid," Luke smirked. "Percy Jackson. Come on." He waved her forward as he rushed out of the cabin. She followed him seeing Chiron with a curly-haired kid. When the light hit his hair it turned golden, but Ayden knew it was probably dirty blonde. They walked toward Hermes Cabin. "Walk faster."

"I could be there by now," Ayden scoffed. "I'm walking for you." Luke laughed as they walked into the cabin. Percy was looking down at the pallet. 

"It's more comfortable than it looks, I promise." Percy turned staring at her. He looked at her clothes and then at his own. They all wore the camp t-shirt. It was like a little uniform.

"You better get going, I can take it from here," Luke added. He threw his hand over his shoulder toward the door. Ayden turned seeing Ki standing there annoyed.

"Shit," Ayden breathed. She looked back at Percy. "My name is Ayd-."

"Let's go, Rivera!" Ki yelled. She turned teleporting outside the cabin behind him, but he was already walking down the trail. Ki knew she would follow him. They had training to do.

"I know you're impatient, but you couldn't have at least let me introduce myself to him," Ayden muttered. Ki shrugged his shoulder.

"Not my problem. You will have time for that after training." Ayden threw her hands in the air.

"To be fair, Luke is the one who made me late, he wanted to show me the new kid," Ayden pointed out, but that didn't change Ki's mind.

"Yeah, well if you are late, then that makes me late, and if Annabeth sees," He whistled slightly as he shook his head. 

"Yeah, 'cause you don't want to do anything to upset you're dear sweet Annie?" Ayden mocked as he shoved her into a tree near the path. She smiled and teleported around it.

"Anyway," He glared at her. "Did you hear what he did?"

"Did what?"

"You know how you killed a Fury, well he killed a minotaur," Ki added. Ayden stared at him as she raised her hands trying to resemble a giant creature.

"Like one of the big—."

"Yeah." Ki wiggled his eyebrows.

"Damn, really. That kid," Ayden smirked. She thought he seemed sweet. She also knew how it felt to be the new demigod, everyone was out for blood. She wanted to make sure he knew had someone to talk to that was in a similar situation.

"It killed his mother, so he killed it," Ki added as he turned walking up the path to the training ground. Ayden stared at the back of his head. She couldn't image seeing her mother get murdered, but she knew the trauma of losing your mother.

Others were already there training together. Ki stopped when they got to their usual spot. Hard dirt, but even ground as he raised his fists. He gestured to Ayden to go first. 

Over the two weeks, she'd become exceptionally skilled with a range of weapons. Everything except the bow. She was still terrible at it. Despite everything Ki had tried to help her with. Luke tried to help again as well, but she was just not able to do it.

"Alright," Ayden shook out her arms getting into position. Her hand shot forward as Ki easily blocked it. The two of them had learned each other's tells when they were going to make a move. Ayden thought that meant they would stop training together, but Annabeth didn't. 

She explained that it was better because she would have to create new ways to attack him. It would make her work harder physically and mentally to beat him. Ayden turned swinging her leg through the air and catching the tops of Ki's hair. He laughed and stood up. The two circled each other again.

"We've got a pair of eyes on us," He looked past her. Ayden turned slightly seeing Percy and Luke standing together. They were facing her direction. Her body relaxed for a moment. That was when Ki went for it. He kicked her side throwing her backward, but she teleported behind him kicking in the back of his knee as he crumbled to the ground. She laughed a little, but he threw his foot back kicking her in the gut. Ki swiped his other foot, but Ayden jumped in time. He pushed himself up letting out a huff.

"Focus," He pointed a finger at her.

"Then why did you tell me they were watching," Ayden threw her hands in the air. Ki moved forward while her guard was down, but Ayden teleported around him.

"Oh you want to use magic," He whispered. Ayden held her hands up.

"No, no, no, no," Ki moved his hand forward. Their shadows moved toward Ayden as she froze. Her body was restrained by the shadows wrapping around her. "This is not what I meant." She grimaced. Ayden teleported in the air above him dropping onto his shoulders as she spun throwing both of them into the dirt.

"I should have pulled this up," She groaned. Her loose hair blew over her eyes. The sun burned her retinas as she lay on her back. Someone blocked the sun above her allowing her to see their features. It was Luke. "Oh hey."

"Looks like you got your hands full today," He offered her a hand. She smirked and took it letting herself get yanked to her feet.

"Go away," Ki said from the ground. "You're distracting her." Luke smiled but didn't move. "Oh for the love of." Ki shoved himself off the dirt and gave the three of them a stance full of attitude.

"He's gone dictator," Ayden muttered.

"Oh yeah, I see he's got you working exceptionally hard," Luke mocked. Ayden rolled her eyes and extended her hand to Percy.

"My name is Ayden. I'm also newer here than most. So I just wanted to introduce myself and say that if you have any questions please don't hesitate to come ask me because I know for a fact that if you ask something stupid like I did, they will make fun of you." Ayden reasoned as she gave Luke a tight smile. He scoffed and looked to the side. Percy gave her a small smile as he gently shook her hand.

"I wouldn't do that to him, you were just being really stupid when you asked," Luke crossed his arms.

"Percy," He introduced. "So you're the daughter of Ares?"

"I'm 'A' daughter of Ares, I think Clarisse is 'THE' daughter," Ayden corrected as she looked over at Clarisse who was training with a few of the other demigods from Ares. Percy looked at Luke.

"I said she was the better version," Luke reasoned. Ayden just rolled her eyes. "I'm going to go and see if Percy has any gifts," Luke patted Percy's shoulder.

"Not likely," Percy shook his head.

"Ooo, I really don't want to miss that though," Ayden looked over her shoulder at Ki who was talking with Annabeth.  "I don't think he will notice."

"He may not, but Annabeth will," Luke muttered. Ayden shrugged her shoulder and shoved him forward. The three of them moved across the field quickly blending in with the others. "I'm throwing you under the bus when she asks."

"What's the deal with Annabeth?" Percy asked. "Like with you?" He looked at Luke.

"She's my little sister," Luke explained. Percy nodded as his eyes moved to Ayden.

"She's a friend, but she won't admit that," She explained making him smile a little.

"How long ago did you arrive?" Percy asked.

"About two weeks ago."

"Stay with her," Luke put a hand on Ayden's shoulder. "And Clarisse won't bother you."

"Wait, she's bothering you?" Ayden asked touching Percy's arm accidentally and then pulling her hand back. Percy furrowed his brows. "That explains this morning then."

"What does?" Percy asked.

"Well she wasn't in the cabin this morning," Ayden tucked her hair behind her ear as they walked near archery. "Oh gross." She crossed her arms. Luke walked forward grabbing himself a bow and a few arrows.

"What? You don't like archery?" Percy asked smirking as he watched her face cringe.

"Oh no, this is the one thing I just can't do," She shook her head. "But I have complete faith in you."

"You need to take your faith back then," He breathed. Ayden laughed a little catching him by surprise as he watched her eyes crinkle slightly.

"Alright," Luke interrupted the two of them. 

He demonstrated how to shoot an arrow instructing Percy on each step. He let go of the string and it hit the target. Bullseye. Ayden glanced around seeing Clarisse watching Percy. She glared at her until Clarisse turned. She came forward standing next to her Ayden.

"I see you've taken the runt under your wing now," Clarisse mocked.

"Leave him alone Clarisse," Ayden snapped. "He's no threat to you. So leave it be."

"Yeah, people said the same thing about you yet you are a constant pain in my ass," Clarisse hissed. She leaned close to Ayden trying to aggravate her, but Ayden smiled as she faced her.

"What is family for?" She added. Clarisse shoved her making her stumble. "Oh don't like thinking of us as family, hm?" Clarisse shoved her again as Ayden laughed. The people next to them let out a cry as Percy shot his stray arrow, but Clarisse still didn't stop.

"I've told you once Rivera and I will tell you again. We are not family," She snapped. Ayden tilted her head running her tongue along her teeth.

"I think our father would beg to differ." Clarisse clenched her jaw as the two stared at one another. "Again," Ayden stepped closer to her. "I don't want his attention so you can keep your precious title. I'm not going to touch it. I would rather see him fall than try and win his favor."

"That doesn't matter. We are always in competition with one another. Even if you don't want his attention," Clarrise added. Ayden's smile fell as she stared at her. The sisters watched each other.

"Why do you want him to favor you?" Ayden whispered. "He's an awful man." Clarisse didn't smile. She didn't try and say something witty. She was silent for once.

"Everything alright?" Percy asked. Clarisse stepped back glaring at him. She didn't speak as she walked off. Ayden watched her move past her friends. She was angry. She was fighting with herself. "Ayden?" She blinked a few times turning to him.

"I'm assuming it didn't go well from the yells," Ayden smirked as she crossed her arms. Percy looked at the ground as he scratched the back of his head.

"Yeah, um," He laughed watching as Luke came over.

"I'm never letting him near the archery range ever again," Luke ran his hand through his hair. "He almost took my head off."

"And I missed that," Ayden whined. "Damn it."

"Don't worry you have many more to see me fail," Percy mumbled. Ayden hit his shoulder lightly.

"Have some confidence in yourself," She smiled.

"It's best not to because I'm not very good at things." Percy kicked a small rock on the ground watching it roll.

"Fine, I will have the confidence for you."

"You have enough confidence for everyone in camp, Ayden," Luke muttered as he moved past. Ayden dropped her smile staring at him.

"Says you," She scoffed moving after him. "And that's Ki anyway." Percy smiled but followed after them. He enjoyed Ayden's company. He would consider her and Luke his friends. The people at this camp with his best interest at heart so far.

***

Ayden was in the woods. Like she was every night after dark. It was against the rules to be out at night. Outside the cabin. Everyone knew that, but this was when she was finally alone. She'd been alone for so long that having all these people around her was so overwhelming. Sometimes she would go to Cameron's cabin, but most times she would find herself standing at the water's edge. She would go for a night swim.

She would walk out to where she could barely touch and let out all the air in her lungs as she went under letting herself sink to the bottom. It was one of the few times that her mind was silent. Everything was silent. There wasn't a single noise. Not a voice. Not a twig snapping. No trees were moving. The leaves weren't blowing, absolutely nothing, it was silent.

She felt like she could feel her mother again. That maybe she wasn't herself. That maybe she was still in the bathroom at home pretending she was a mermaid. It calmed her to think about the happy moments with her mom. In the few, they had together where there was no fighting or yelling. Nothing.

Ayden's lungs burned as they begged for air, but she waited. She could feel her body lurch as she almost swallowed water. She pushed off the rock bottom struggling to get to the surface as the pressure built in her head. She broke the surface taking in a big breath as she looked up at the night sky. The stars greeted her. She let herself float on the surface as she took in several long breaths. Her ears submerged in the water. There was a muffled sound. Ayden looked at the shore seeing an outline of someone. She swam to where she could stand and waited.

"What are you doing out here?" Ayden asked as she waited for the person to respond.

"I just uh, in the woods." Ayden recognized the voice. Percy.

"Oh it's you," Ayden muttered as went under the water once more. She surfaced and pushed her hair back from her face. "Sorry, I thought you were someone trying to get me in trouble." She walked forward seeing Percy turn away from her. She doubted he could see her in the dark, but it was still thoughtful. The wind hit her bare stomach and legs as she walked toward her towel.

"What are you doing in the water?"

"I like swimming," Ayden lied.

"Mhmm," Percy muttered. He knew that was a lie. "You can't swim during the day?"

"It's peaceful out here at night, it's quiet," Ayden admitted as she pulled her shirt on. "Now, what are you doing out here?" She walked up to stand in front of him. The moonlight barely outlined his features.

"Hold on," Percy muttered as he pulled something from his bag. He struck a match and lit the small campfire tin. He set it on the ground next to them. "There."

"What was that for?" Ayden stared at the small flame.

"I like seeing people's eyes when I talk to them," Percy added. Ayden nodded as she looked at his bag.

"So what were you doing out here? If you don't mind me asking."

"I was talking to my mom," Percy admitted as he looked at the bag in his hands. Ayden immediately felt awful.

"I—I'm sorry—I didn't," She shook her head. Percy gave her a tight smile.

"It's all good Ayden, you didn't offend me of anything," Percy explained. The tightness in her chest didn't ease. "I just miss her, you know?"

"Yeah," Ayden nodded. She let out a long breath seeing his eyes move over her face. She had a few light scars from the incident when she fought the fury a few weeks ago. They still hadn't faded completely. "I guess Luke told you about my mom." Percy shook his head. "Oh." she pushed her damp hair behind her shoulder. "Well, I just want you to know I know a similar pain. It's in no way the same in comparison, I just," She picked at her cuticles as she rambled. Ayden wasn't the best when she tried to comfort people or even talk about her own issues. "I just know what it feels like to lose the person you were closest with." She didn't know why Percy made her so nervous. She also didn't know why she was talking about her mother with him.

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing? It wasn't your fault. It was my father's. I'm sorry about your mother though, but it says a lot that she came all this way with you. To protect you." Ayden muttered. Percy nodded slowly as he looked down at the bag in his hands.

"Do you hate him?" He asked. Ayden thought for a moment. She realized he was talking about her father. Ares.

"I do." She took a deep breath. "He ruined my mother's life. He—He messed her up, bad. I want to make him pay for what he's done, but I don't know how to get him here."

"I want to know who my father is. I want him to speak with him. To yell at him for leaving my mother, she loves him—she loved him to her last day. She still loved him even though he abandoned her," Percy shook his head. Ayden watched the way his jaw clenched as he looked back at the bag in his hand. "It's not fair."

"Um," Ayden paused as she looked down at her hands. "I know this is going to sound really really weird, but do—do you want a hug?" Percy smiled at her. He could see she was trying even though she clearly wasn't the most emotional person he'd met.

"Do you want to give me a hug?" He asked.

"Well I mean, I could give you a hug. If you would want one?"

"But do you want to give me a hug?"

"Would you let me hug you?" She squinted at him. Percy laughed a little at how awkward they both were. She waved her hands in the air. "I'll just pass it off until tomorrow because my clothes are soaked and I'm not going to get you wet."

"Good call," Percy nodded. "Should we walk back?" Ayden looked over her shoulder and sighed. Her eyes scanned over the water. The moonlight reflected on the ripples as the water moved.

"I guess."

"Oh, so you're not excited to get back either?" Percy smiled as he picked up the camp candle and below out the light letting both of them settle in the darkness once more.

"Yeah, we'll I am in the same cabin as Clarisse and she really doesn't like me. So I can just feel the hatred from across the room," Ayden explained. Percy laughed a little.

"She's a bully," He mumbled.

"Yeah, but she is also a child of Ares, so there is always something deeper," Ayden reasoned. "I am in no way trying to rationalize her actions because she's mean, but I'm just saying I understand a small part of her." Percy moved forward letting Ayden walk next to him. The two slowly made it back to camp.

"I understand," Percy nodded. "I still don't like her, but I understand to an extent. Although," Ayden paused watching Percy turn toward her. "You are a child of Ares too and you aren't a bully. You are quite the opposite." He smiled.

"Thanks," Ayden fought the smile as she walked past him. His words made her feel things. Those words made her feel like maybe she was a good person. That she could be a better person than she thought she was. Ayden was always trying to be the best version of herself she could be. That was another promise she made to her mother before she died. She would control her anger and she would try to be better. Ayden wasn't the easiest of children to raise. She had a temper and fought often. She was thrown out of every school for fighting the other children, for disobeying the teachers and being complicated. She was hard to handle. "You are a lot stronger than you think, Percy."

"Hm?"

"You think you're not good at anything," Ayden explained as she touched his arm making him stop. "You don't think you are meant for this life, but you are. You just have to find the part that fits you. It could take a while but you will. It's a big change, I understand, but you aren't useless. You aren't a disappointment, Percy. You are strong, you killed a minotaur. You are brave for those you care for. You are a lot more important than you think."

"You didn't use the word special?" Percy muttered. Ayden furrowed her brows. They were closer to camp where the torches were lit outside the cabins.

"What?"

"You didn't use the word special. That's the only thing I've ever heard. People always called me special. The way I acted or the things I said or did. I was special, but you didn't say special." He reasoned. Percy didn't know why, but that touched him. She was the first person to not refer to him as special. He was important. He had a place.

"I think you are going to be so much more," Ayden reasoned. She gave him a big smile. "I'm good at sensing these things." She wiggled her brows. "Now, I have to sneak back into my cabin. Goodnight Percy."

"Goodnight." He smiled.

"Oh," Ayden moved back over to him. "Try to get a lot of sleep and eat a good breakfast."

"Why?" Percy asked. Ayden laughed.

"Just trust me, Jackson." She moved toward her cabin. She waited just outside watching Percy disappear. She teleported up to her section of the loft. She liked being up high. The others couldn't tell if she was here or not for bed checks. Most didn't care, but she didn't want to give Clarisse a reason to get her in trouble. Even with Ayden being careful and sneaky she couldn't fool Clarisse. The girl had seen her leave on multiple occasions at night and wait for her to come back. She has known the whole time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

369 2 9
Percy Jackson x OC UPDATES: Every Monday🤹‍♂️ I DONT OWN THE PERCY JACKSON SHOW OR RICK RIORDONS CHARACTERS ONLY MY OWN READ: The book is based off t...
98.6K 2.9K 20
Many eons ago, the 3 fates saw a prophecy of the future. It included the fates of 3 daughters. The first daughter, a child of the sea. The second dau...
38.2K 1.5K 14
"I hear the underworld is just swell this time of year." "Really?" "No." ________________________________________________ (Name) had a lot of questio...
377 25 7
If I'm gonna give you any advice from my wise amazing awesome-ist halfblood self it's to NOT be a demigod. Pretty simple... But if y'all want to be e...